(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6775 5 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I found a new topper
amazon.com link »

Has anyone tried a demagnetizer with pinballs?

#6777 5 years ago

Regarding playfield 'tightness' and 'fit', ensure the game is leveled and also check to make sure the legs aren't bent (from shipping?).

#7049 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Bubble at the second line. If you put it to the third it may roll faster but the ramps and chest become substantially harder to stick, and it spoils the game IMO.

When possible, can you confirm if your second line is 6.3, 7.2, or 7.5 degrees?

#7313 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

How many games does it take for magnetism to occur?
I'm using stock balls from JJP because I didn't really have any other choice since Baron is out atm. I have around 70 plays and am not seeing any signs of magnetism whatsoever.

It depends on many factors but carbon balls seem to go ~500 games while chrome/ninja balls magnetize in ~50 games.

3 weeks later
#8695 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

This isn't unique to POTC. Same thing happens from the throne room on my WOZ. It's a bit of an adventure each time it kicks out... you never know if it's going to f-ing drain SDTFM.

Thanks to a suggestion by @2fun, I've been able to increase consistency of a mech (on other games) with a 'spring washer' to reduce slop between the coil and coil-stop.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=spring+washer

#8699 4 years ago

Where exactly are you putting it?

In my case, I stuck it between the coil and stopper to reduce wiggle/movement.

3 weeks later
#9788 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No need to drill any parts of the game. Follow the write up I did for squid face install basically the same. Just use the 2 screw mounts they provided.

Yelobird - would you consider making that disc for underneath the figure? I was thinking it would help with stability.

#9844 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A slab of dark plastic with laser-burned pinholes that goes behind the screened plastic to reduce the light bleed around the lights behind the star map around each light. Takes them from looking like blobs to looking more like stars.
FACTORY LOOK:
[quoted image]
WITH FILTER:
[quoted image]
WITH WIDER-HOLED FILTER:
[quoted image]

Is someone selling these filters or did you make them?

#9860 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I made a bunch of different sizes to experiment for the machine here, but no one seemed too excited about it, so I'm just using it on the one here (as I much prefer the look). If enough people expressed interest, I'd make a batch of them.

I'm interested in the middle-sized version. The smaller stars looked great but I'd worry about seeing intended patterns. I'm hoping future code makes the starfield more interesting.

1 week later
#10581 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

comparing "I'm out" people when the mechs were pulled to owners/enthusiasts/fans now.
When the mechs were pulled I moved from "buy sight unseen" to "let me play it first."
Anyone else part of the "I'm out!" club that is now hella in?

While I wish the chest opened and closed, I do appreciate the 3-disc change for sake of noise, reliability, and gameplay. R&D is an unknown and I didn't want them to wait any longer shipping the game. My interest waned after watching stream after stream. I don't LOVE the theme so went into "wait and see what other games come out..." Then I played it. And when Jack said he was stopping (or likely delaying) POTC production, I panicked. It's a special game and I'm glad I found one NOW.

#10727 4 years ago

I don't know.. I was just never really a fan of the basic reddish stickers that were on the apron.
Anyone else think the apron got left out?[quoted image]

I'm not a fan of the red apron decals for the CE in particular. It's a shame. I've been hoping for better options.
I'd love to know why they changed the color scheme...

0763935fb1945e1bbda12b48784e4e8fb8fc111e (resized).png0763935fb1945e1bbda12b48784e4e8fb8fc111e (resized).png
2 weeks later
#11173 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Cool, I did not know that. That's going to be a nice challenge for me, since I've been mashing the buttons all the way down since I've been in the hobby. I can't wait to test it out.

Same here. Do other games have this behavior as well? TZ? Shadow? Funhouse? etc.?

1 month later
#11900 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

To be fair... they have been talking about a POTC update since the beginning of the year. I get that things take time and Keith had some health issues that likely set him back time-wise. But I don't think its unnatural for people to start getting antsy about getting an update that takes this game to a 1.0 state.
I'm to the point that I've seen all of the mini-wizard modes and would have qualified "Break The Curse" but it obviously wasn't implemented. I'm sure there are many other better players that have been that far and - at least in my case - its a little hard to find motivation to play deep into the game when you know you'll hit a brickwall and nothing will happen.
Luckily there are plenty of characters and strategies to work on so the game is still super fun to play. But lets not kid ourselves here... its long overdue for an update.

Actually, the current POTC game software is version 1.39. The older revision number was simply a typo.

#11905 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

as a general rule (In gaming) A number before 1.0 would mean features are missing. 1.0 would be a full release (full featured) but might still have bugs. Code is at .99 because all the features are not in the game. 1.0 SHOULD include the final break the curse and hopefully a reset so once its done you cna play though chapters again. as it sits now no final wizard mode and nothing to do after playing 25 chapters. Code is .99 not 1.36 or whatever the other guy said

Apparently my joke about the silly emphasis on version numbers was lost. The only reason POTC code 0.99 is because JJP software team is forthcoming, open and honest, and they shared their software-feature roadmap ahead of shipping it. And then we shame them for it (which will cause open communication to stop). Complaining about version numbers will simply cause their sales/marketing team to obfuscate them in the same way they will no longer share pre-production ideas with us after pinside's response to 3-disc-gate.

Just say "work faster and harder on my game" and call it a day.

2 weeks later
#12079 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So you POTC fanboys have finally cracked me. I have a chance to pick up a NIB Potcle. Im, a bit worried about the playfield, but am reassured by the recent promise to replace chipped playfields. What do you guys think? Should I take the risk and do it?

Absolutely, no question. Seriously.

#12091 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Woz was fun but just not great. DILE was similar for me. I liked Hobbit and had it for a long while.

I agree on Woz but it's sooooo beautiful and interesting.
Curious about your thoughts on DI vs Hobbit, because I think DI is a really fun (and better) pinball game but I prefer the Hobbit theme and presentation by a mile. I ask because I haven't pulled the trigger on a Hobbit yet and I've been leaning against it.

1 week later
#12247 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I've only recently warmed up to this game. I haven't been a big fan of JJP games, but that is changing. Wondering what your thoughts are regarding more standard editions of this one getting made in the future. I have no desire to pay for CE or LE. My fear is JJP will make a new LE with another thousand or whatever instead of making more standards, like they did with the recent WOZ YBR LE.
Sorry if it has been discussed, but I haven't read the whole thread here.
Thanks,
RC

Short answer is nobody knows. If they are remade at some point, most assume, like you, that JJP will focus on LE's, possibly at a premium $.

4 weeks later
#12595 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I don’t think it’s a stretch to envision them leaving Pirates code hanging for awhile longer. I hope they prove me wrong, but they haven’t so far and they’ve had plenty of time to do so.

Quoted from EaglePin:

I hope #JJPOTC code is one of them, but you’d think a company shouldn’t consider a code update to an old title as worthy of being lumped in with any big announcements. If it is then they don’t have much going on.

That's what I always tell the engineers... "should be easy" and "shouldn't take you too long". They LOVE that.

Geez, if I didn't already know, I'd guess you were from DOWNER'S Grove.

#12598 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

When you compare JJP code support on Wonka to the support on POTC it seems like it’s not an issue of them not having had enough time on POTC. I think their Wonka code support shows they can do it when it’s a priority. They just haven’t chosen to do it for POTC.
I hope they shift priorities a bit to get what I think is now an overdue (1 year past shipping) Pirates 1.0 done. I’m just analyzing the development history of #JJPOTC and how it intersects with JJP’s other recent work. I think their last 6 months of work speaks for itself with regard to their priorities. And yes, laying that out may seem like a downer. I wish the facts were different and I didn’t feel the way I do about their support for Pirates code. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the game should be rules complete by now and that getting the code there hasn’t been a priority for them. The issue lies solely with their (lack of) work on Pirates.

You're not wrong but the reality is Wonka is still available for sale so it's going to have higher priority.
Considering they just shipped a nice Dialed In update, I'm confident we'll see improvements with POTC as well... eventually.
Since I'll never reach the POTC wizard mode, I'd like to ensure all of their available coders are focused on improved pirate hats, parrots, and eye-patches for the best 'score of the day' photos.

2 months later
#13358 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

They took so long to release POTC that they really developed the code, but its pretty disappointing that they don't seem to want to finish the game....its a sign that JJP is running on fumes with a lot of pressure to finally make $ and not allocate resources to support old games.

Yeah, it's like they're running a business or something. We've already got Stern charging too much for too little, do we really need another one of those?

I'm confident an update will arrive at some point. And I'm anxious for them to announce their new games too. We really do need them to work faster. Perhaps if they spent less time innovating and gave us more fan-layouts...

1 month later
#13897 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

take things one at a time! As far as the playfield not going in, you probably need to remove the foam block at the back of the cabinet. That’s not supposed to stay in.

While that could be it, unfortunately I doubt it.
I recently unboxed game #135 and haven't played a proper game on it yet because I'm still working through issues.
But my playfield won't go in easily either... I have to push very hard to get it down. Nothing is bent, it's just REALLY tight.

#13902 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Make sure the wire loom that is on the left
Is not hitting play field. I moved mine more towards the center And was a lot better.

Yeah, thanks for that. This is annoying enough that I've already exhausted those types of fixes.

2 weeks later
#14143 4 years ago
Quoted from i_b_flippin:

Man those are freakin awesome especially the dice, super detailed for how small it must be.
Since I've read your post, I can't unsee the layer lines on my pop bumper caps I got from mod couple. Damn you!!
I do prefer the dice cup over compass just because it's more cohesive. Why didnt' god give me little talent so I can do things like this so I don't have to pay???

Amazing... I like the compass too, but would cry if a ball broke it.

1 month later
#14570 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I got 2 wizard modes a couple of times. It's tough, but extremely fun. A great sense of accomplishment to play one of those wizard modes.

In ~100 games, I've only managed to see a single wizard mode so far. And of course I didn't complete it.

1 week later
#14715 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Here is my Norrington game tonight. Finished all 25 chapters and 3 wizard modes. Went through the last two balls unable to start either of the last 2 wizard modes. First one hit the sling and jumped over everything into the outlane and then I bricked the shots at least 10 times each until the “I” lane got me on the last one and I had no tilt warnings left [quoted image]

Very impressive! Would require the sum of about 14 games for me to it make it that far...

3 weeks later
#14882 3 years ago

Anyone have an extra shooter lane wireform they aren't using? Mine is messed up (not fabbed correctly, ball is bumping multiple spots). Unfortunately it seems JJP sent out all of their 'extras' and is out of stock and not making more. Please send me a PM if you're able to help.
I wish I had been able to open my game sooner!

1 week later
#14969 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

it was sold with the intention of a final Wizard mode, it should have it. That kind of (unsanctioned, I’m sure) BS rationalization of why it’s not complete is just man-child excuses. It’s been ONE. YEAR. SINCE THE RULE update. And 6 months since the damn wifi update! For Christ sakes.

POTC doesn't lack a wizard mode, it has 5 wizard modes. It's a game design and it's released, so it's finished and yet never done.

If they actually spend more effort on features/code, they should add content and fine tune aspects of the game we regularly see.

2 months later
#15353 3 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

So I wanted to see if I could add a mermaid somewhere on the playfield. This is all I could come up with. Haven't decided if I will keep as is or remove. Wish I could see the tail more. I might try to touch up the skin so it blends in more.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like it. I haven't seen the movies so I have no idea if there are any mermaids, but then the game is so loosely tied to POTC, who cares!?

4 months later
#16072 3 years ago

After installing a new mod switch on my Shadow, I requested a new Maelstrom switch mod from M&M creations (Sonic ). I've always been annoyed by that big plastic thing hanging off the ramp in the middle of the game. He made one of his magnetic switches for me and it's really clean. It's a nice improvement. If you have the means, I highly recommend you get one of your own.

OLD:
~~~
OLD (resized).jpgOLD (resized).jpg

NEW:
~~~
IMG_3643 (resized).jpgIMG_3643 (resized).jpg

IMG_3646 (resized).jpgIMG_3646 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#16447 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Lol, that means the next wave of comments saying this is a sure sign the game is getting re-run should start getting submitted in 3, 2, 1...

The real sign will be when POTC wire-forms to show up. They've been backordered for a year (but won't likely be remade).

7 months later
#17135 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Congrats well done! I found reducing the default topper speed drastically reduced the sound. Default speed was setup as if it was a speed boat. I light amount of grease on the cam also helps.

I've always had mine turned off. Still waiting on a capable hobbyist to help me mod/fix it.

#17137 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I can't hear mine at all, but I have it turned way down speed wise... I hear the Black Pearl rocking more.

When I turned mine down low, there was too much friction/stress.

There were some early threads relating to reducing this, but I think the main problem is the motor is under-specified.

2 months later
#17355 2 years ago

repeat

3 months later
#17555 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Yeah fucking nuts!

And it sounds like nearly 100 morons bought it. It doesn't even affect gameplay.

The worst part IMHO is we've justified this form of sales tactic. Shame on elite toppers and shame on us.
We kinda deserve it if they never ship. But I do hope they ship mine soon.

#17558 2 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

The written word is powerful. I was going to buy it at release, went to the doctor and had a couple of meetings and totally spaced it until it was just sold out. It sounds incredible.

It's not the FOMO tactic for me. I wished the LE came with the rocking ship. This will be far better. It's not insane to spend that money on it when you know there's a market for it if/when you ever sell.

You guys are making me feel better about this impulse purchase. Please don't tell my wife.

#17569 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Here she is! Congrats to those that got one! It’s one of the best ever.

ZMeny How loud is it? This was my main problem with the CE topper and it looks like this one has several motors.

Would love the option to disable the water sculpts movement.

#17591 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

I disagree... If there is ONE pinball machine where thé gap is between LE/CE (premium/LE) it is potc
-exclusive topper
-exclusive backglass
-exclusive radcals drawing
-exclusice powercoat
-exclusive barnacles Armor
-excluisve plastics
-exclusive PLAYFIELD
Wow i dont know any pin who beat that!

I agree, POTC was their best handling of CE and LE. The POTC CE really stood out with it's unique art package and stuff mentioned above.
And the LE included all the toys and played EXACTLY the same. GNR was close, but they should have shipped the COMA lock with the LE.

So, I'm hoping JJP don't limit the gameplay features on the next game.

6 months later
#17903 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

With the fear around here of what if …… do most pinheads buy a spare engine and transmission when they buy a new car nowadays? Jesus Christmas. I want a spare playfield. I want a spare st projector, i want spare stern flipper coils. I can buy anything and i mean literally anything and have it in a few days now with that interweb thing.

Wow, nice, can you help me order some parts on your interweb for my POTC? JJP doesn't seem to have them.

3 months later
#18202 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:Rrrrrrr... New Art Blades Installed

Who makes these?

5 months later
#18459 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

To avoid people like me asking about how to get code, etc - can it not be shared from someone who has it now? So if you have the latest beta, can it not be posted so others can just download?

If you want to mess around with pre-release (beta) code, join JJP's beta program. You'll learn about known issues and problems from other users and you'll be able to move between versions (and fallback if desired).

1 month later
#18547 7 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Theoretically JJP plans to finish it.

Join the beta group and check out the latest version.

Hopefully the POTC software will never be finished and they continue to add improvements over time. While some are obsessed with an end-mode I'll never ever see or enjoy, I'm quite happy with the progress toward balance improvements and other quality of life enhancements in the latest beta (sound, networking, UI, etc.). Someday I hope they add fast-booting to the OS build!

2 months later
#18613 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

And there are other choices now too. Stern's on a roll. CGC has exciting things coming. Barrel Of Fun is a force to be reckoned with. Spooky sells out.
A great time for buyers having games to choose from.
LTG : )

Stern is on a roll but their pricing has grown even worse than JJP. At least with JJP you get the shaker motor, knocker, invisiglass, side armor, nicer screen, better software (imho), nicer cabinet, etc. etc. They install it for you (which I appreciate). Out the door with similar features, JJP and Stern aren't far apart anymore. So while I'll admit I've been more reluctant to spend $12-15k on a JJP NIB, my policy on Stern thus far has been an absolute NOPE (I can't do it...).

I'd really like to see JJP bring back their wide bodies and allow their designers more room to innovate.

3 months later
#18772 44 days ago
Quoted from NielsR:

To be honest if you get into tthe game it can be quite fun an challenging to reach all multiballs at once. I agree about what people say, it sucks that they didnt finish the wizard mode yet but i still like it. Ofcourse there are other games that are more fun! Your collections is pretty nice. If i have to trade it i would take:
-Stranger things
-jurassic park
Im not sure if it would be fair but for me it wouldnt be necassary to have a JP LE or 30th. but that would be okay to me
But i do like the POTC alot and i'm not sure if i would ever sell it. everyone who comes and plays on my machines loves the pirates.

When they do add the the wizard mode, they'll need to re-balance. After 5yrs of listening to people whine about it, they'll want more than .1% to see it without cheating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=Reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.