(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

From wikipedia: The term first appeared in English c. 1300.[9] Spelling did not become standardised until the eighteenth century, and spellings such as "pirrot", "pyrate" and "pyrat" occurred until this period.

This makes total sense. Pyrates didn't have spell-check on their cell phones back then.
11e3be1fa97b580753c6c9b9f5f0c341 (resized).png11e3be1fa97b580753c6c9b9f5f0c341 (resized).png

5 months later
#10224 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The stoppage had nothing to do with demand.

But now the demand is because of the stoppage.

2 weeks later
#10872 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I wonder if you could needle prick it

This needle trick worked perfectly for me when applying smaller decals. The hole completely disappears. ( I haven't tried cabinet decals though)

1 week later
#11189 4 years ago

How do you know RGB boards can't be swapped into an SE? Have you tried it?

Page 349 of the manual says the only difference in lighting is on the boards - RGB vs White. The software is the same.

The lighting is all described in the manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1513623/Jersey-Jack-Pinball-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean.html?page=349#manual

#11194 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Hey by all means do what you want. I'm not the mod police or whatever. It doesn't work as far as I know but I'm not telling you what to do.

Gotcha. I'm not a modder. I was just curious what prevented it from working, other than the different LED boards as stated in the manual.

#11200 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

This is how we all feel

I agree. I had zero interest in this game, mostly due to the high price.

And then I played it. Totally worth it. Easily JJP's best game. Every aspect of the game is excellent.

1 week later
#11269 4 years ago

What character is considered the best for score and progress? Didn't see it in key posts - just a breakdown of character rules.

I've only had the game 2 weeks, but my best scores have been Norrington. I was one chapter away from qualifying my 2nd mini wizard in a game. He really helps with sloppy shooting.

#11346 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Guys are the siderails just attached by screws or is there adhesive underneath them? Thinking about powdercoating them. If its adhesive ill leave em be.

Each side rail is attached at two points in the front and back. There is a small phillips head at the back. And from the front, lift the pf and remove the nut from inside to detach.

The rail does have two sided tape at three spots, one at each end and one in the center. They are about 4 inches long. I'll attach a pic.

I used a wide plastic scraper to slide inside to remove the seal.

20190716_201421 (resized).jpg20190716_201421 (resized).jpg
#11348 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Does it wreck the cabinet artwork? Any tips or tricks? I'd hate to damage it. Also do I need tape of some sort when I put new rails back on? Thanks!

No damage to the cabinet if you use a firm but flexible plastic scraper (not metal.) Since the adhesive tape is only in 3 spots, you can get the scraper inside somewhat easily.

Slide the scraper slowly left or right. Don't pry it up. Take your time. You don't want to put a bend in the rails.

There is hardware attaching it, so it will stay on without tape. Depends on your level of OCD. I intend to get some tape to make sure it stays tight.

#11417 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Completely agree. I think The Hobbit is under-rated because of the layout. But the theme integration and immersion I think is the best ever. The Battle of Five Armies and killing Smaug is epic. Wish Pirates would have that one impossible shot.

Hobbit is properly rated. Personally, I really don't understand that there are people who like it.

I agree the theme integration is good, but there is no way that it compensates in any way to elevate how un fun it is to shoot.

The only satisfying shot was sinking the ball into the holes for extra ball. Constant ramps and bonking those incessant popups was so tedious.

It's almost offensive to compare POTC to TH. I own some games that others may dislike, but Hobbit is one of the few games I really, really hated.

#11420 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Ok guys, question regarding the EXTRA BALL shot, ive lit it a few times but how do you collect it?

I believe it is collected at a switch behind the sling on the right side of the game that the ball must hit.

It's located just past the entrance where extra ball insert is pointing, on the right. Tough shot to make.

1 week later
#11566 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Love the Pearl window too, but decided to clip the wires/lighting, pushed it from stock feel in my view and I prefer it as-is, the gold window looks so good, not to mention easier install without having to wire through the game. Might be cheaper to mass produce too..
[quoted image]

The problem I had with the lighted window was I immediately thought it looked like an old time radio from the 30's. Doesn't fit in a pirate's ship.

I can't unsee it now.

P32486189 (resized).jpgP32486189 (resized).jpg
#11577 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I don’t know. Looks like a window on mine. Scott has the light really subtle. Just a suggestion of light like a candle. He had to battle with making something out of no space

It was just my first impression. I think Scott does great work and I have other mods on order from him.

2 weeks later
#11757 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I hear the Shot X, Super X, when I play the game and Have No CLUE what they hell it means or what to do!!!

I think it means you hit the action button when there was no gold to collect and the lower display and audio are telling you the next award you will receive for completing the Pirate lanes.

#11761 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

so only hitting the action button and not hitting a target on the playfield....seems pretty easy.

No, you still have to hit the target after completing the inlane to get the award The audio cue comes when you hit the action button before collecting. I didn't say it gets collected when you hit it.

#11796 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

If your sling posts are ok, just go for small rubber washers underneath.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Only use neoprene washers not the nylon ones.

I put on neoprene washers on Day 1, the same day I unboxed my game. The clear around my sling posts was perfect - no damage because the game hadn't been played.

Six weeks later, I can now see rippling has formed in the clear at the base of the sling posts.

It looks like neoprene washers are no better than the JJP nylon washers.

Has anyone else noticed rippling with neoprene?

#11802 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I have no rippling around my neoprene. Did you use the narrow ones? I think that is a mistake, if anyone is doing it. The clear can't support that kind of lateral force on such a small area. Need the wider star post to spread the load. Light touch when tightening them down.

I didn't change to star posts, I still have the original narrow posts. I read somewhere that the wider star posts were to cover existing damage. Even with a star post, there is a narrow screw inside.

Are you referring to how narrow the neoprene washer is?

Quoted from wesman:

Weird...
Do you know offhand your manufacturing date?

March 5 2019

20190815_111151 (resized).jpg20190815_111151 (resized).jpg
#11878 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

These wires have been an issue for me too. Anyone know if re-soldering is the only option or is there a different way to make a reliable connection that won’t be as likely to break?

I also had wires break off under the Black Pearl causing an error at switch D04. It was the EOS for the left flipper.

The wires were really short, so to allow more slack, I soldered about 1.5 inches of new wire to extend the broken wires so it won't be as tight and likely to break again in the future. Slide on some heat shrink tubing first so you can cover the bare wire.
20190820_152447 (resized).jpg20190820_152447 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#12233 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

When you think about it, there's always going to be a chance that the ball hangs up on the gap between the BP and the ramp. The BP rocks left/right, so one side or the other will be slightly higher or lower.

Not really. The ball hanging up only happened when the BP was NOT moving. The rocking would release it.

#12237 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

Hum i think mine is always moving ingame

Yeah, I was stupid. It's the slow rocking that would catch the ball for me. It hardly seems like it was rocking when it's slow compared to other times when it rocks more preventing the ball to catch.

#12312 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

JJ could’ve avoided all of this fiasco with the ramp if they had just made that gate at the top of the ramp a little bit more raised on the left side.

Exactly.

I think the placement of the left screw holes on the ramp was a manufacturing error.

#12364 4 years ago

Has anyone gotten loop champion of 7 or higher?

Im not sure if I keep failing, or if the code only goes to 6.

1 month later
#12865 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m sure given the scarcity you’d be able to sell the SE, but an LE sale is a guarantee.

The SE is actually more scarce than the LE.

#12868 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes, but nobody is going to pay more for a SE most will choose to go that little bit extra in the rare times you actually have two of these games to choose from.

I agree. I have an SE with all the mod upgrades plus a powdercoat that's nicer than the LE. I know buyers still prefer the LE.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Many Stern premiums are more rare than the corresponding LE, that doesn't make them more desirable.

Which Stern Premiums are more rare than LE's?!

2 weeks later
#13073 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

We paid JJP up front for code updates when we bought the machines.

No we didn't. We bought the game as is.

If you expected something different, you'd be better off waiting before buying.

New code wouldn't be bad, but I think it's pretty good with how it is now.

7 months later
#15256 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Monthly check for an update. For god’s sakes guys at LEAST fix the ball search!! Now it’s getting embarrassing. Josh is working on Houdini and Lyman has -actually, literally- put out 7 updates since Elvira came out.

This game is fantastic as is. The rules are deep and well implemented. It's not like initial Stern code at all.

Have a lot of people completed all movie modes in one game without a wizard mode, or are they just insisting it exist even though they have no ability to see it? And what's wrong with the ball search?

#15259 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Yes, it's a fantastic pin. But JJP sold us a "code complete" pin, which it is not. And it's not just missing a final wizard mode, character features need tweaking, some scoring is unbalanced, and there are multiple other things that need fixing (ball saves, etc). JJP could not give a sh*t about pirates. So yes, I love the pin, JJP not so much.

Other than missing a final wizard mode, the above items do not indicate incomplete code. They indicate a desire for it to just be better. I get it, but the missing wizard mode is the only valid argument for incomplete code.

Just curious as it may improve my score, where is the scoring unbalanced? I want to take advantage of it.

What characters need tweaking? Are some traits listed but not implemented in code? I generally pick the same few.

Also, what things need fixing? My ball search doesn't cause problems. And having no ball save is by design. It's better that way.

The one thing I might question is Liar's Dice. It doesn't seem completely random, fair and balanced. I think they used a crappy algorithm. The opponent doesn't make calls like I would expect from a real opponent. But the code still seems complete with it.

#15265 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

For unbalanced scoring I would give the 66k award for completing shot X during 666 multi-ball as an example - way to low.

That's not a good example.

Unbalanced scoring is when there is a way to boost your score without sufficient play or skill, a loophole to a high score.

66k scoring is just a feature in the game that if it didn't exist, you wouldn't even know. It's as relevant as midnight madness. A cool novelty but not a quick way to a high score.

You don't want to lose to someone who got a 1M mystery award. That is an example of unbalanced scoring.

#15271 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Unbalanced scoring is a term I've heard but a topic I've never waded into. Honest question just out of curiosity and my own lack of pinball sophistication: Would something that's pretty challenging to do that's awarded similar points as something not as challenging be considered unbalanced scoring also? Again, just curious how the term is usually used. To me being unfamiliar with the topic I'd think it could be considered unbalanced either way with a loophole to a high score or with a tough achievement that isn't rewarded much more than an easier achievement. Although with the tougher vs. easier achievement example I guess you'd just strategically want to pick going for the lesser one repeatedly and in that case maybe it would just be called a case of bad design instead of unbalanced scoring?

I don't think there is a specific definition.

I've always considered unbalanced scoring when a game rewards an inordinate amount of points when very little pinball skill is used to earn it.

Generally if a feature is very difficult yet rewards big points, it's balanced. (Hard work, big payoff. )

A difficult feature with low score potential will not inadvertently allow a weak player to beat a better player. It' would be an example of a lousy scoring feature. Strategically, it would serve little purpose.

#15274 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

You can save up for tortuga multiball then start a wizard mode. With a simple shot to tortuga you now have multiball during a wizard mode. Was stated to be a bug

This can also be stated as a feature of the rules or strategy for playing mini wizards. Getting a mini wizard mode is tough. Having Tortuga ready at that time is another fold to the challenge. The amount of Gold required to collect increases each time as you progress toward the mini wizards. It's no gimme.

It's 100% exactly the same as stacking a mode with a multiball, which is THE most common play strategy that you will always see used by good players.

Stuck forks to lock in the chest or problems starting OST have not been my experience.

The ball search may be a bug needing a fix for location games. When I play at home, I always remove stuck balls and try to fix where they get trapped.

#15277 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

It’s not hard to set up tortuga multiball when you expect you will make a wizard mode

You're strategizing when you get close to a mini wizard mode, like a good player.

My only suggestion would be to use paragraph breaks.

But I will concede your point that fixes are needed for the code, but nothing in my opinion indicates incomplete rules other than final wizard mode.

#15286 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The one thing I might question is Liar's Dice. It doesn't seem completely random, fair and balanced. I think they used a crappy algorithm. The opponent doesn't make calls like I would expect from a real opponent. But the code still seems complete with it.

I agree with this guy.

1 week later
#15322 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Woo hoo! I finally cashed in a good Shot X shot. So I had 6X playfield running from a Mystery award. Got Shot X lit and hit the 5x target. So my next shot will be 30X, but I'm not in a mode or multiball! I'm trapped on the right flipper so I just shoot the Devils Triangle spinner and BOOM! 1,800 points per spin. I didn't exactly see the total but it felt like a couple hundred thousand points. Great feeling!

I initially misread BOOM as you scored 800M from the spinner. I need better glasses.

5 months later
#16123 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Arrrrgh! Thought I was going to get through all chapters on a game just now. Only needed to run 5 more and had extra ball lit when I started my last ball. Got through three chapters and then post “assist” turned a nice clean left orbit shot into an unexpected rocket SDTM. I really don’t like that “feature”.
I had just hit the cannon hole shot so I thought I had BP multiball qualified, and I hit the orbit shot only to have it come right back at me. I must have been at a point where I either needed to hit the cannon hole shot twice or was out of BP multiballs though because the MB didn’t start and it usually does if BP multiball is qualified and you hit the post assist. Time to try again!!!
[quoted image]

That is impressive. But what's the deal with the really low score?

#16126 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I don't really play to maximize score in this game. The journey is the fun for me on this one. My GC is only 3.1 and then my next high after that is 2.2. I try to just make progress through the game so I don't go out of my way to qualify multiple chapters before starting one, I don't target trying to get supers in multiball, I start Tortuga MB with minimum gold, etc. I stack multiballs & select Super X for the inlanes to get that running whenever I can but that's about all I go out of my way for in terms of trying to boost scoring.

I was really just thinking that playing all chapters would automatically create a huge score by virtue of just having played so many.

I've never come close to doing that. It really is impressive.

#16129 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is true in POTC, but also kind of counterintuitive as compared with most games. When you learn how the multiplier works (which is also kind of unique), it really starts stacking up.

Is there a link to the most comprehensive rules?

I need to learn the intricacies to max my scores.

4 weeks later
#16195 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Decided I wanted to adjust the weights on my shaker today by turning the weights to be 180 degrees of each other, so that the shaking would not be so hard/intense. However when I removed the weights I found that the shaft only had one spot routed for the set screws so that you can't turn them. Anyone else run into this on JJP machines? I'm guessing I'm going to have to remove the shaft and dremel it out to create another spot for the set screw.

Is it possible to replace the weights for lighter ones at the same location instead of performing dremel surgery on the shaft?

#16203 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Its worth every penny... Best mod there is for POTC. I paid about $1200 for mine second hand.
It will only increase the value of your POTC.

Not worth it to me.

I think the opening and closing chest mod is better, and it doesn't cost stupid money.

#16210 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

someone is going to get a really nice mod!!

It's kinda funny to me that mods are now numbered with certifications to create collectibilty hype.

2 weeks later
#16281 3 years ago

Had a friend put up a GC on my game. His goal was to just reach a mini wizard mode but almost played them all.

He picked Tia Dalma and methodically went through each of the colored chapters in order from left to right. He successfully manually selected, even during multiballs.

He played 4 mini wizard modes in all, one by one, and was half way through his final (5th) when he tilted the game.

He won every blue chapter of On Strangers Tide along the way. His score wasn't all that high in the end.

The mini wizard modes were semi disappointing. Not coded with much excitement.

20210201_004918 (resized).jpg20210201_004918 (resized).jpg
#16289 3 years ago

Look, it's a great achievement to reach the mini wizard modes, but they still felt lackluster. They lack an introductory fanfare to create the excitement.

The music and lightshow didn't stand out at all. The animations reminded me of Houdini. They're fine, but they're far from amazing. Even B/W games fake shut-off and rapidly replay animations.

I love the game, but don't overstate these modes. I think the sound and video from scoring an extra ball is better than the Kraken tentacles.

Compare to music and lighting for "There and Back Again" or "Destroy the Ring" from LOTR. I can remember those. POTC mini wizard modes are not on the same level.

#16291 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seems like nothing will ever beat "Showtime!" from TAF

Yeah, exactly. JJP games need to improve the introductory fanfare.

I've started Melt The Witch more than a few times without immediately knowing it happened. They could do a better job with the visual introductions. It's better if a scoop starts the event so the ball can stop during the introduction.

#16309 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I was playing for an EB too, so not only did I lose and not get an EB, I lost my current ball there on the spot.

Happened to me too. And if it's your last ball, it's Game Over. They need to make Liar's Dice favor the player a bit more.

At least for EB, it'd be better to have it that if you win, you win. And if you lose, you don't win but nothing is lost.

The computer is never fooled with a deliberately misleading call. There is no bluffing. The algorithm does not match real life Liar's Dice.

7 months later
#17117 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Scorbit just released Achievements with JJP, Starting with Wonka. POTC *is* happening and will be rolled out soon.
Video:

Post to Scorbit topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scorbit-official-thread/page/6#post-6513731

Is there no longer a monthly fee to use scorbit?

#17119 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Its free on all JJP games

That's great news.

I was an early preorder supporter of Scorbit with money down.

They later contacted me requesting additional payment along with the news that they'd charge a monthly fee to use it. I requested and received a quick refund.

I never heard they amended their subscription service model for JJP games. Glad to know.

#17122 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

There never has been. Not for JJP.

I understand that now.

It was just never mentioned in the Scorbit email I received that stated there was a monthly subscription fee.

2 weeks later
#17128 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Also, how do you move the display to get to the main box if electronics behind it?

There are two metal latches on each side that hold the display in position on an articulating bracket.

You need to slide the latches up to release it from the locked position, and then pull toward you.

I pull on the right side first, and then the left. Later JJP games got rid of the latches, and replaced them with magnets. The magnets are better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.