(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PsychoPsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

they are absolutely beautiful.

I was concerned about the cost vs benefits of adding Radcals to my DI build--until the instant I started peeling their protective film.

I think the difference is clear when you can see and touch a game with Radcals for yourself, and definitely when you can directly compare "with and without". Not that standard decals are bad--they're certainly not, but the Radcals are really good.

I wish the Radcals were less expensive, but in a home use situation, particularly if the game won't be in the middle of a lineup, I highly recommend them.

1 week later
#1661 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm assuming the JJP WOZ / Hobbit option on pinball side mirrors will work for this game (for mirror blades)?

To this point, IIRC the only mirrors we've seen on a PotC in this thread came from Freddy's in Germany.

FWIW, at http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de, the same mirror blades are ordered for either Dialed In or PotC ("SB-JJP2").

On that site, part "SB-JJP" is ordered for WOZ and "SB-JJP1" is ordered for Hobbit.

/Not affiliated, haven't bought, just reporting, hope this helps, etc.

#1731 5 years ago

I've never seen the movies and don't own the game, but the character choosing makes me wonder if more theme integration and depth can be added to the chapters by adding pingolf-style challenges during them that are based on story events specific to your chosen character.

Attempting, passing, or failing chapter character challenges would award bonuses or penalties, or maybe just neutral if not attempted or failed, immediately and/or as you play further chapters. There could be multiplayer effects too.

For example, maybe you raise the sails during the chapter and avoid the bad situation for the character in that movie scene, or shoot a certain combo and get some immediate bonus plus an advantage in a future chapter, because you "found the magic item" or "avoided the trap" or whatever actually happened to that character in the movie scene.

To the degree those passes/fails can be used strategically as you progress through the game would add yet another layer of depth. Because there's lots of characters and lots of story, I think it would add immersion to focus on your character's part in each chapter, at least when that pairing suggests interesting challenge possibilities that are integrated with the story in appropriate ways.

Not every chapter a character was in would necessarily include an opportunity for such situations, but when the character and the story allow, and the challenges and consequences are theme-integrated, I think it would add value in a number of ways.

I'm talking about a lot of design and assets here, I realize......

#1932 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The other question, it doesn't seem that my machine is displaying the "wanted" posters with the pictures it has taken at all. Cycling through with flippers never shows them, and they never show in attract mode either. The setting to allow photos to be used in attract mode is set correctly, but they never show?

In post 1211, Keefer sez:

The wanted posters don't come up often because there's a lot of them, but I'm moving them sooner in attract mode (it's like in the 4th pass now or something). If you keep hitting the right flipper button, they'll show up eventually. (Or left if you accidentally go past it.)

#1980 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Take a look through the thread...lots of ways to fix 1). Mine included bending the switch the button hits on the receiver and then running very hot water over the button. Some are using white lithium, others are sanding. Take a look at the pictures of the thread, you will see ones with the button in question and you can jump to that post.

Could also try the Stern button that folks say doesn't bind:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-7791-00

#2023 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Speaking of the shooter lane those metal guides on it are not in my DI. It almost seems to keep the ball from touching the wood so will this prevent shooter wear going forward?

When will the first PotC for sale ad appear including at least 4 pics of how cherry CQ HUO OMG minty fresh the shooter lane is?

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Yeah, that is what I was contemplating. Actually pretty easy to get the undercabinet to do this but you need some stronger lighting is all. That way you are standing in the water.

An undercab effect that made it look like the game was standing in a shimmering pool of water and the person at the lockdown was standing in it would be, uh, really frigging cool.

1 week later
#2422 5 years ago

I discovered as other have noted that there were no pilot holes in the top of the backbox for installing the PotC CE topper.

Steve Z at JJP support had this helpful info for me that I'll pass along here to hopefully assist others:

"For the position of the topper, I reached out to the Production Manager at the factory and asked about the spotting holes for the CE topper. He said that measuring from the front edge of the backbox, the holes should be 7 and 5/8" and then 8 and 1/2" back from the front edge, and then center the topper (don't put the holes in the center, center the topper) side to side. Four holes total to accommodate the four spots on the bracket."

JJP support continues to get it done. Lloyd and Steve get attaboys from me today for being responsive and helpful. Frank probably woulda gotten in on the act too, but he's on vacation!

Thanks, JJP Support!

3 weeks later
#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

1$ gold coin for Each?? You guys play for Reals!!!! Wow.

If I'm taking him correctly he's just being "on theme" about describing 4-player dollar games, which IIRC was part of the motivation behind building TNA. Credit up, put a dollar in the pingulp and bash until maybe everyone walks away with someone else's dollar, vowing to get theirs back next time.

Say, Keefer-- what about being able to select P1/P3 vs P2/P4 teams at the start of a 4 player?

1 week later
#3219 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Lots of room to learn and grow on a machine like this which makes it perfect for home use.

A few goal suggestions for starting to learn basics (not even talking multipliers):

--Focus on starting each of the multiballs as quick as you can by themselves, then practice stacking them

--Pick Tia Dalma and go for each wizard mode as quick as you can

--Do that for a while and in the process get a good sense of 4-5 characters whose plusses and minuses are a good match for your play style and strengths

Then: control multiballs for jackpots and chapters toward wizards, merrily jacking up multipliers along the way (darn, I said multipliers...)

#3264 5 years ago

play-wise... i think the single disc probably affects the ball much more than the triple disc. so that might be a change that was for the better.

Agreed. Would like to play a proto game someday to compare, but if I had to guess the single disc ball action probably results in more interesting gameplay.

it is kind of a bummer that you don't get to see your map mystery rewards line up with the triple disc on the playfield but its a pretty minor loss in my mind.

The screen animation is fine--most people say they really like it--and you avoid the added noise and additional possible points of failure of the 3 concentric physical rings. The ring change is not an issue to me and if anything I would say the production version and the adjustments made to get there represent a great solution. Best possible? Dunno, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

1 week later
#3757 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

For the guys that have had this game for a couple months or more, what do you think of it? Is it still worth 10k? Are you having any thoughts of dumping it soon? How is it compared to other games you own or have owned? I must admit, I've never had such a difficult time deciding on a game before, but the price still has me held back. For some reason there is a mental threshold past 8k for me. Even if you only had it a very short time, how is the honeymoon period comparing to other games you've owned?

We've "been aboard" since December. Even though we've had more (minor) issues to resolve out of the box than most who've checked in here, I have zero regrets about it because there's SO much value in its single cabinet relative to what else could potentially fill that space.

Big question for me would be: dump it for what else? What's available now or on anyone's radar that is of similar quality and depth to Pirates? What machine can offer more gameplay and quality in all the ways we know that count in that same single-machine space? That's a REALLY high bar at this point. In the meantime? A pirate's life for me.

In normal situations, why do we sell games? We master them. The rules and/or sounds/display are repetitive. There's new shiny objects that by some subjective measure are different/desirable enough to swap for.

Master Pirates? Well, when you can complete Break the Curse in 3 out of 5 games, you probably ought to hit the Circuit like yesterday. Repetitive? Relative to other games Pirates has arguably unprecedented variety and depth in gameplay along with a jolly roger-flying boatload of very high quality audio/video assets, and the code's not even done yet. Shiny objects? Maybe Stern does a theme you just have to have, or CGC remakes your favorite classic, but are they going to be objectively comparable in terms of gameplay value to Pirates? I suppose we'll see. Until then, pick your character and I'm going to try to plunder you blind. (Can you plunder opponents in any other potential replacement game?)

My other games are really good and really pimped out, but the Pirates honeymoon continues. Every time we power it up it's a special treat--a challenging, varied, and exciting gameplay experience with tons of "delicious frosted topping" heaped on. It challenges every pinball skill in a beautiful environment loaded with cool stuff that makes pinheads smile. Weeks after its "landfall" here I haven't tired of it in the slightest, because each game you're off on another path of adventure among so many possibilities, determined mostly by your play--maybe all the way to Break the Curse this time?? Unlikely...but press Start and let's find out. And again. And again...

#3766 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

My LE should arrive next week. Hope everything goes well and I don't have too many problems out of the box.

Folks should buy with confidence. At this point a lot of previous production issues are resolved, and anything else is pretty minor and likely documented here. Support is excellent too.

#3769 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

So I'm not worried at all.

Excellent!

I had played 9 balls on location before it arrived, and the rest of my house had never played it. I look forward to seeing posts from new owners about how much you're enjoying it. It's a truly special game, and you have an amazing treat in store!

#3774 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

...one of which I'm sure they're under pressure to time in conjunction with the movie release.

What if pausing Pirates production allows Jack to work with the studio to put Toy Story games in the fifty busiest theater lobbies on its opening weekend?

Maybe put a plaque on them saying "Theatrical Edition" or something. There could be mild interest in those machines not sold to the operators at those theaters...

Would you go see the movie? I think I would.

#3812 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

The only other advice I would give is to try to go back in the thread and see what else others have experienced and what the root causes were and how we collectively resolved, this can only helpful. Lastly, download the manual and go through it at your leisure, It is beautiful and very informative.

The invaluable "Find in topic" search tool at the top of thread pages here is your friend. Many folks have made significant documentation contributions here that I appreciate very much.

However, Butch's game manuals are not recognized enough for how reflective they are of the quality of JJP machines. They're easy to admire, but they're even more valuable when you use them! Then they get more admirable.

1 week later
#4258 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The monitor in the CE appears to be a different product, and is much more colorful at default settings.

I found it was set in typical out-of-the-box-display torch mode and had to turn the brightness way down. Where have folks set the contrast?

#4274 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

I need to change my settings as well. Looks a bit washed out. Are the settings directly on the monitor? Can't find it in the menus.

Pull the monitor out from the backbox so you can access the physical controls on the back of the monitor.

Ideally you want stuff intended to be dark to look dark, while still being able to see details in dark areas of the image. By default brightness is likely turned way up on your physical monitor, so it looks washed out.

It's definitely worth the minute or two it takes to dial in those settings. I was able to achieve what I think was a noticeable improvement in image quality with little trouble.

It would be cool if in the menu they included a reference image to help you set the monitor brightness, like in a horror video game. "Set brightness so this line in the series is just barely visible and the next dimmer one is just barely invisible in the black."

#4486 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Wouldn't it be better to have a thread about technical issues and a separate thread about rules questions? At the moment it's all mixed together here. But mostly it's technical stuff...

Owner's threads are usually general-purpose and cover about anything related to a game. There is at least one thread about PotC rules, though:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simple-explanations-of-basic-goals-in-jjp-s-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#4664 5 years ago

Another friendly reminder: an external sub is highly recommended for this game.

#5048 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Check with Pinsider tonycip

Seconded! Thanks @tonycip!
You should ask Tony about one of theseYou should ask Tony about one of these

Really appreciate this community!

#5225 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

We appreciate the kind words.

I appreciate your monitoring and commenting.

The game is really fantastic, thanks to you and all!

#5327 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

One grand Blitz wax is what I use and is generally highly regarded on pinside.

When you get that sweet stuff, immediately transfer it to a Tupperware or something and happily toss the container of endless aggravation (tm)

#5333 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I just got a tub of it. Are getting all the lids off like breaking into ft Knox?

The trick in my experience is to tighten the lid until just before it feels like it's closed tightly--then it's not so bad to remove the next time. When you over-tighten the lid past "closed"... well, it can be an adventure.

#5409 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Any of you install Cliffy's yet? Were they tough or laborious?

Got all but the MAP ones in yesterday, not too bad. Thanks to thread all-star evh347 we have these fine instructions for those:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/65#post-4814032

1 week later
#5925 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

AMAZING! I must have them!

Once most folks have the chance to see and touch Radcals for themselves it's one of those "things that cannot be unseen" situations. The difference is not subtle at all.

Agreed, it's less important if the game is in a lineup, but if you want to save some money on future JJP games, maybe avoid encountering Radcals.

#5955 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Your to kind thank you. We sincerely appreciate everyone’s support and more importantly feedback to create things people will enjoy. My wife and I hope to meet a few Pirates at TPF this weekend!

Kudos!!
Great mods for a great gameGreat mods for a great gameHope everyone who meets up at TPF has a great time.

#6095 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I was not interested at -all- based on theme, but started to see the playfield and rules and suddenly got -very- interested.

I haven't seen any of the movies and had no interest in the theme. After playing 3 games and reading up on the rules, it was clear that if I wanted a game with very long legs for home use, able to offer depth and challenge even to my extraordinarily skilled son, Pirates was a clear winner. Our experience since its arrival in December has only further validated that impression.

As more people get the chance to experience extended free play in quiet environments and get a better sense of the game's very high quality, I expect there will be considerable pent-up demand when they decide it's time to build them again.

#6381 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Oh - and a subwoofer and a set of Brite-Mods lit flipper buttons. And a PinGulp.

This sounds like terrible advice

20190315_191258.jpg20190315_191258.jpg
#6501 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looks almost like a protector for the switch stacks, and underside of pearl. Also so the ball won't be chance get under there while the ship is moving. I have not had this happen yet.

Exactly this. Great idea, especially for ops, as this is a glass-pulling situation for sure. We've had it happen a couple of times on airballs and cannon shots. Really glad this will be available.

1 month later
#8714 4 years ago

After powering up after update, the BP continues rocking instead of the previous once back and forth. Anyone seeing this?

Does it while in menu too... BP gets progressively slower.

#8778 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It looks like I'm going to have to remove the Pearl and a bunch of plastic guardwork soon; this rubber is about to die from love and heavy home use.
I don't guess there is a shortcut I am missing other than tearing it all down?[quoted image]

No shortcut I know of. The Titan I put in to replace the original left chapter rubber is starting to chew up at that spot too. Looks like this is going to be a regular swap for all of us...

1 week later
#9380 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

I had the luck to meet Kevin McNally on a job and I asked him to sign my lockdown bar. He was quite surprised. He said he has not played it yet or even seen the final machine. He was really nice and mentioned it took him days to record all the callouts.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Super cool! Thanks for the pics!
Can you imagine how blown away he'll be when he gets to stand next to one and see how they used all his hard work? Wow!

2 weeks later
#10000 4 years ago

Thanks to JJP and all of you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PsychoPsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=PsychoPsonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.