(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinWoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8315 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I actually already put a Pyle 8" sub in the cab, but without an extra amp. Helps with some bass but probably does need an amp or just an external sub. Stern games do a better job here because you can boost the bass in the audio settings. C'mon JJP, catch up!

The Amp kit will allow you hear / feel that new driver: https://PinWoofer.com

#8323 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The game is already crazy loud. An amp!?
Now if you’re saying it’s just a cleaner sound then I’m onboard. (See what I did there..)
Also, the sub goes INTO the cab?
Wouldn’t that create too much vibration?
I like this idea..

The amp will cause vibrations if the power is increased excessively (which this little amp can certainly do) but its surprising how much bass you can get before crossing this threshold. The goal is to provide an integrated install and high tonal quality. Experiment and find the the right balance. It's impossible to describe the sound, but the feedback has been very good. Our kits provide deep, clean bass that you can hear loudly and clearly and feel in your hands. You can read through the "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" thread where there is a lot of customer feedback and related discussion. Thanks

#8325 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I appreciate the response.
In other words, the amp can definitely reduce or eliminate the “muddiness” of the mids/highs which I have certainly heard.
And bass is a thing, too.
Awesome!

I think I can answer "yes" in terms of the mid range muddiness (using our speaker). There is a low pass filter whose -3dB (Fc) point is about 180Hz. Frequencies above are attenuated and frequencies below are amplified.

The highs might be improved with a speaker upgrade in the backbox.

Audio mastery plays a role as well in terms of the tonal quality but POTC has an incredible track so I'd be surprised if this were the source of the "muddiness".

Some things to consider. Hope that helps!

5 months later
#12509 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

I do have a question though and that is regarding sound, as I have 4 JJP machines now the Pirates is the weakest when it comes to bass, am I missing something or is this fair to say? I did check the cabinet speaker/woofer and sound is coming out of it so its connected, I also checked connectors in the back-box all look fine. Now the sound is not awful but is lacking in bass and all mid/top end sounding.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The JJP cabinet speaker is actually superior to other manufacturers, but there are deficiencies with it and with the system itself. Unfortunately, simply changing the speaker will make little or no difference to what you are experiencing.

First, the stock cabinet driver is single voice coil so only one amplified channel can drive it. The second, and most important, is that the system lacks adequate headroom to drive deep, sustained bass tones and the ability to fully reproduce low frequency effect hits during game play. Not addressing these factors leaves this amazing title severely lacking in audible presence.

Next, the backbox speakers in POTC (all JJP's) are not bad (4" mid / 2" tweeter) and we recommend keeping them in play. However, the power and dynamic range of the stock backbox amplifier leaves a lot to be desired.

PinWoofer has a turnkey solution which adds a dual voice coil subwoofer driver and two amplifiers; one amplifier for the subwoofer and one for the backbox:

https://pinwoofer.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpinwoofer-powered-super-kit

For Pirates, select "Late JJP - Jersey Jack Pinball" under "PLATFORM AND DUAL AMP POWER HARNESS".

The improvement you'll get is dramatic. You'll not only hear the warm bass tones, but you'll feel them in your hands and feet. The mid-ranges and highs in the backbox will come alive and will be clear and crisp, unlocking the title's full potential.

Our install base is large and growing, and our reliability is excellent. You'll also get engineering technical support should you need it along with detailed instructions and an array of fasteners and connectors to make the install go quickly and smoothly. This is easy - we have streamlined the process for your delight and your outcome will be epic!

This is the single, best thing you can do for your pin.

Thanks for your time!

Backbox (resized).jpgBackbox (resized).jpgCabinet (resized).jpgCabinet (resized).jpg
#12511 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there a plastic cover for that board? Having an open powered board directly below the playfield where parts are known to fall over time seems like a really bad idea.

We evaluated this early on, and you can always mount the amplifier board on the wall of the cabinet with no more risk than that posed by a coin door interface board / node board, which has been a common practice with all of the manufacturers for decades. Like anything, one needs to use caution when accessing the cabinet or backbox. Thanks for asking!

#12515 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You absolutely can mount it vertically, but showing it mounted in the cabinet bottom with no shield or case/cover over the top is not really responsible, IMO. Many people are new to pinball and wouldn't have enough experience to understand that mounting it on the bottom of the cabinet with nothing over the board puts it at risk of being shorted out if something (screw, spring, etc) falls from the playfield onto it. A square piece of PET-G and a bracket would cost you, what? $1 more to include? If you don't include it, you should at least make that a recommended part of the install for those that choose to imitate your pictured installation.

There are no exposed power routes on the PCB (they are completely covered by solder mask). Also, all kits ship with a fused power cable. We've got scores of these in the field and any risk is minimal if non-existent. The mounting location is not particularly relevant, just personal preference. Thanks for your concern

#12522 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Mount it on the side of the cabinet, fears are gone. Anything can happen with any electrical component on any pinball machine ... shall we talk connectors? I’ve replaced hundreds of burned Molex connectors .. no screw, no nut. Just a burned connector.

Agree; the astronomical odds of such a calamity are far less than being struck by lightning in Texas - so watch out!

#12526 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

does adding this to any machine void the Warranty?
The sound is good on the machine already, but not awesome.

Below is the JJP warranty link and "modification" is called out as being "not covered", so I read this as a broadly sweeping disclaimer about any modification. The word "void" does not appear in the document whatsoever and it's pretty clear that the warranty is for 30 days, for parts only excluding any shipping and labor, for the original purchaser:

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/jjp_warranty-updated.pdf

Our kit will make your title sound awesome and judging from the bump we had yesterday you are not alone in your sentiment about the audio. We have scores of these out there and there is nothing to worry about. I'm an EE with 25 years of experience and we definitely know what we're doing - there is no guesswork here. Cool running, fused amplifiers and safe wiring.

When we put a kit in your machine, we treat it like we're putting it in my machine. I hope you get my meaning there.

#12528 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

add foam to the glass surrounds

Thanks Rdoyle1978 ! Note that Tekman has THE BEST playfield glass tape out there. He is fast, inexpensive and reliable. Our sub kits are perfectly balanced for a pin and the tape will nearly or completely mitigate it. If you are using something else, switch now. We also include tape with our 8" / 12" sub and super kits. But, hit him up for some if you're inclined - my guys do it all the time and he is a great dude.

#12529 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Thanks rdoyle1978 ! Note that tekman has THE BEST playfield glass tape out there. He is fast, inexpensive and reliable. Our sub kits are perfectly balanced for a pin and the tape will nearly or completely mitigate it. If you are using something else, switch now. We also include tape with our 8" / 12" sub and super kits. But, hit him up for some - my guys do it all the time and he is a great dude.

1 week later
#12641 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Ok, so if you guys followed the early days of my posts, you would find that I have been trying to get our beloved POTC to perform on the audio side with external subwoofer and external amps and speakers. I knew the sound was there as you can hear it when you play through headphones.
Well I took the plunge on the PinWoofer setup. When I got it I almost backed out when I saw the install instructions. Be warned this is more invasive than some mods. But I was determined to get good sound out of this.
Let me just say, if you believe this game is the GOAT, you must do this mod. The bass from the upgraded woofer goes well beyond my external Polk. It provides such a great tactile feedback that you don’t get with the external sub. It was a seamless transition between the bass and the shaker. So much so I actually had to check if the shaker was still working.
Be warned, this isn’t for everyone but for those that are keeping this game forever, I highly recommend the upgrade. This and Pinballj/Harry’s trunk mod and you are set for what I believe is one of the greatest pinball experiences ever. I did make a makeshift cover for the amp just to protect it from falling screws. Otherwise the kit has everything you need.
So, how do I get this sound in the rest of my collection?

Great feedback, thank you!

I'd have to agree that there is a bit of "hands over-head" due to the positioning of the backbox speakers. Also, by "invasive" we provide four screws to anchor the base-plate and a few lugs to replace the solder joints at the backbox speaker terminals but the latter actually seem like an improvement! Other than that there is no modification to the pin; everything is sourced and supplied to added electrical connectors and the backbox amp mounts with magnets. Everything can be put back to stock save four screw holes. If someone is concerned about the holes, we can supply feet and velcro circles.

I'll get with you for feedback on improving the instructions. I don't think the install is difficult, but there are a lot of steps shown to cover the gambit. They can be shortened up a bit.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your epic audio setup @villathrills !

Let a happy person live within you!

https://pinwoofer.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpinwoofer-powered-super-kit

To view, select "JJP - Late Jersey Jack Pinball" under "PLATFORM AND DUAL AMP POWER HARNESS".

2 years later
#17594 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Where exactly did you disconnect the headphone jack cable? That's what I'm missing. Glad to hear that should fix the issue for good, the tribal knowledge in Pinside is amazing.

Hey darkryder ! I believe below is what you did but perhaps you can double check since it is notorious on Pirates:

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/jersey-jack-pinball-how-to-fix-popping-audio/

There are other things we can do just give a shout if you need further assistance.

By the way I agree, Pirates - what a masterpiece!

Thanks,

Dan
https://PinWoofer.com
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

3 months later
#17820 1 year ago

Hey all - thought I'd drop in and share:

JJP Super Kit Flash Sale:

-JJP Super Kits 20% off
-Coupon Code "PW_AUG_2020_JJP"
-Limited number available with discount (if the code don't work, its over)
-Offer valid until Midnight 8/15/22 or when the coupon limit is reached, which ever happens first
-Web orders only, applies to domestic or international orders

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-super-kit/

The single, best thing you can do for your pirates.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MT, Mon - Fri

Logo (resized).jpgLogo (resized).jpgPinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK super kit (resized).jpgPinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK super kit (resized).jpg
1 month later
#17846 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Started with Pinwoofer system. Printed out the detailed instructions for each section. They are very clear what to do along with pictures to help in the process.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Greetings Mikespinball - delighted to see that you are enjoying our electronic instructions!

There is also a detailed instructional video from HurryUpPinball (Craig is quite brilliant):

Have fun!

Dan
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

3 months later
#18067 1 year ago

Happy New Year's Eve everyone - best wishes for a prosperous 2023!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MT, Mon - Fri

New Years 2022 (resized).jpgNew Years 2022 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#18215 1 year ago
February 2023 Sale (resized).jpgFebruary 2023 Sale (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinWoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=PinWoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.