(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#201 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I hope Liar's Dice is a proper video mode not just a bonus by picking a cup with dice under it linked to one character

You start out on a wager screen where you choose what you want to risk, then you get the game screen where you bet and call the computer player a liar. I wasn't ready for it and I kept waiting for the game to end the mode and throw the ball back into play, so I didn't start recording the video right away. I didn't know how to play, but I won.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Glad it only happens if you play as Davey Jones. Which begs the question, when do you play it? When you start your game? Or Beginning of ball 3 so you can risk your total score or even your ball? If the latter, then it could become interesting and fun.

It doesn't only happen as Davey Jones, he just gives you a Liar's Dice advantage. I think it was ball 2 I played it. It wasn't super easy to light, I was a ways into the game at that point.
As the mode plays now, you couldn't just risk all your score on Liar's Dice, it gives you like 4 options of what you want you can wager or to simply not play at all. Options like 2 tilt warnings, bonus X and such. I'll definitely have to figure out how to play the game for next time now that I know what to expect from the mode.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The choreography isn't complete yet, but it's functional so I wanted to get it out there. No chance on DJ though.

Keith, I'm really liking the game. Thanks for all you do. I know you haven't put out update notes for the new code yet, but can you quickly comment on how to light Liar's Dice? Lloyd wanted me to try to get to it since it was new in the code, but I don't know exactly what I did to light it. I'm still trying to figure out the game rules overall, I love that there is so much to it.

Quoted from screaminr:

Maybe let down was a bit harsh but with how good the programming and graphics are on this pin I just feel it would have been good to have something with a bit more atmosphere and excitement and easier to understand

I don't doubt that this is just a initial iteration of Liar's Dice to get it out there like Keith said. I'm confident that it will be tweaked and added to going forward. I didn't even dislike it as it sits, I just didn't know how to play Liar's Dice and/or what to expect from the mode since it was the first time I had ever saw it. I was expecting there to be some kind of choice timeout, so I was always worried about the ball being kicked back into play and draining on me.

2 weeks later
#308 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

My chest is releasing an extra locked ball when I lock another ball. Anyone have a fix for this?

Every time or just once in a while? The one I play does it once in a while when a ball gets up there when lock isn't lit. On that note, should you ever be able to get a ball up in the chest when lock isn't lit or should the ball always go through the chest and feed the upper flipper in that scenario.

#325 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I bet this ends up being a rare game in the future due to low production numbers. Unfortunately, this pin has had a really bumpy start.

It's a really good game. We have literally every new game on route somewhere here and I still choose to play Pirates and it keeps bringing me back. In fact, I could play Deadpool on route for free if I wanted to, but I still choose to pay $1.00 per game to play Pirates instead. In my opinion it is head and shoulders better than what anyone else is producing right now.

#359 5 years ago

Yeah, I've never seen any of those issues. Early on the SS Billiards pirates had ball hang ups on the upper playfield. They sent him something to fix that. Up post wasn't coming up for the mode start and the chest shot wasn't't open when lock wasn't lit to allow the ball through to the upper flipper. Those were easy fixes. I've seen the ball get stuck on the plastic under the upper playfield a couple times. Overall, no major or consistent issues and definitely no phantom scoring problems.

#367 5 years ago

I stopped in to SS Billiards and played a couple games this afternoon and dropped this bomb. I lit all the wizard modes and played through them all, except the final one. I was stuck in a wizard mode and drained my final ball during it, so even though I had the last one lit, I couldn't shoot it to start it. Man, I really enjoy playing this game, so much fun and it's so deep I am still learning different things about the game.

...and I totally understand Liar's Dice now. I played it 3 or 4 times and even won an EB from it.

44052916_2187592424812635_2707578083824631808_n (resized).jpg44052916_2187592424812635_2707578083824631808_n (resized).jpg44088601_249111529108052_7606039850289987584_n (resized).jpg44088601_249111529108052_7606039850289987584_n (resized).jpg

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Holy crap! Nice man.

Thanks. I learned a lot from watching your guy's stream and from playing with another good player locally and watching what happens when he was playing. It's so hard to look up and try to figure out what to do on the fly in this game. I still feel like there's so much more to learn too which is the cool thing.

Quoted from lordloss:

Fly out to MN and lets hold a buffalo pinball live stream at SS Billiards. Kevin Vs. John

I love the live stream stuff. I really wish I had that game on video so I could go back and watch it and see all the stuff I missed while playing. Hopefully someday I'll have a nice portable rig that I can bring places easily to do stuff like that.

#372 5 years ago

If you do ever find yourself in town, definitely let me know. It'd be a good time for sure.

2 weeks later
#529 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I was wondering the same thing, as that's how it looks on mine...

That's how it looks on the Pirates at SS Billiards too. I was just there today and took at a look. Definitely not as fully lit as the other lamps there.

#537 5 years ago

Hogbog Hi Eric, love the game, seriously. I find myself playing it exclusively on route lately now even while I have every other new game available to play. Couple of quick questions if you or Keith could answer them.

1. What purpose do souls have in the game and how do you collect them? Often in Liar's Dice one of the wagers will be souls. I have them, not sure how I got them and I am not sure how important they are. Is it just a bonus thing right now?

2. Do you plan on adding the negative affects of each character to their select screens where it shows the bonus attributes? For the longest time, I didn't realize that each character has a negative attribute that goes along with their specific positive one. I know you can see some of them individually during the information screen when you hold in both buttons, but it would be nice to see in comparison to the bonus attribute when you are selecting a character, especially since there are so many characters to keep track of.

Thanks.

#543 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

In the context of liar's dice, souls refers to characters collected from chapters. You can double or nothing your characters to really help your wizard mode scores (or not).
Unless it says "your soul." Tread lightly!

Ahh...ok. That makes sense now. Thanks Keith!

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That’s bad ass.

I love how if you wager an Extra Ball in Liar's Dice and lose, it kills the flippers and drains the ball. Really is risk vs. reward.

2 weeks later
#1014 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I would love to see a code addition that adds a 1or 2 second ball save after the up-post releases for the mode shot to help avoid a cheap drain from starting modes. I havent really struggled with drains from this, but my friends who dont play as much as I do have had this happen on more than one occasion.

I've have never had this issue on the one at SS Billiards. I did play another JJP Pirates that wasn't set up as well where it happened a few times. What I did to get around it is the same thing you do on TWD if your prison magnet is dropping it right down the middle. Hitting both flippers will end the animation and pulse the magnet so it doesn't happen. As soon as your movie mode is chosen on the game, you can do it. Post drops and magnet pulses which sends the ball out a different angle instead of just letting it drop.

#1033 5 years ago

I found out the other day that you can stack the wizard modes with Tortuga MB. I'm surprised I had never done that before by accident. Potential for some big points playing the wizard modes with a multiball.

#1037 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Ha! Gold star for you, John, you found a bug. I've never done it by accident either. However, it's fixed in the next release so it won't happen anymore. Wizard modes on POTC are intended to be intense, single-ball experiences.

Shoot. I thought that may be the case. It seemed out of place to have Tortuga stack with them. Now I wish I would have done more with it when I got it.

The Wizard Modes are very difficult, I think I have only completed one of them a couple of times at most. Got close a few other times, but they certainly are intense single ball experiences that are very challenging.

#1041 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

cripes. not a single wizard mode has been reached on the machine i'm playing on location. granted its not getting a work out like it would if it was at the club but just getting to those modes seems so difficult unless you pick tia and just tunnel focus a color. and even that is a major accomplishment imo.
i'm a little miffed that there isn't a minor wizard mode from reaching all the multiballs but i suppose that isn't exactly the toughest thing for a good player.
on the upside, i've finally managed to figure out a perfect nudge/timing to completely make the tortuga kickout a non-issue. so that certainly helped my last series of games! had my best at ~1.3 billion. obviously still a LONG ways to go.

If you want to focus on getting to one, probably the easiest way to get to a wizard mode is choose Tia Dalma so you can pick which active mode you want to do and then focus on the green chest modes. Shooting the chest happens a lot so normally that mode is almost always active, but it doesn't always get chosen since that part is random among all the active modes. With her, you can choose the green mode all the time which should help to get through all 5 green modes since you won't be randomly playing other movie modes that way. It does get a little crazy to try to choose your mode though when you are in a multiball. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil what that one is exactly, but it is pretty fun (think Johnny Mnemonic's power down wizard mode) and it is definitely difficult.

1 week later
#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Clear would really take away from the goal of matching the correct barrel theme. Not sure they had many clear barrels in piratey days. lol For now those selections are what we are going with and possibly a Jack type replacement character barrel in time. The Beating heart and Rum barrels are selling as fast as we can make them for that we thank everyone!

I don't think he meant clear barrels, I think he meant the letters to be clear or milky plastic as an insert in the barrel instead of the letters just being cut out of the barrel itself.

#1332 5 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Anyone get to the “666” mode, or whatever you want to call it? Massive stacked Multiball where I think had every Multiball going, and I may have collected all of the SP’s. All of a sudden over the whole screen “666” floated over all the Multiball flags, but not sure what I did to activate it.

It does that when you get all 5 multiballs and Tortuga stacked together.

1 month later
#2620 5 years ago

Hogbog I was playing today and I think I ran into a bug. During my game I played 4 wizard modes and actually completed two of them (Chest and Left Ramp). I had never completed a wizard mode before and I know that there is maybe only one other person that has ever completed one that plays the machine that I play on route. Anyway, when it was over, I was Will Champ, but nothing else. The left ramp current wizard mode champ is only 300k and I can't believe I didn't pass that when I completed the entire mode. I did well in the chapters and didn't time anything out, so values should have been at least decent. Same thing with the chest, not a very high current champ value, but no champ initials opportunity when my game was over. So I'm thinking that if you complete a wizard mode, it may not let you be the champion of it. I could be wrong, but I think it is worth checking. Can you guys take a look at that? Thanks.

#2646 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Scoring on particular movie's wizard modes is very dependent upon the number of super jackpots achieved during that movie's mb, and characters collected during that movie's chapters. If you do subpar in either of those qualifiers(not throwing shade John, just explaining), the score will definitely be less than 300k, even for full completion. Doing average (collecting approximately half the characters and scoring at least one Super jackpot) should yield an average wizard mode score of about 250k. Your Scoring Level (viewable on the Wizard Mode Status Report page), shows where you are, where around 20-25 is considered average. I'll check into it Monday though.
Cheers,
E

Thanks Eric. I know that scoring can vary wildly depending on what you have done. I would have thought in these cases though that my values should have been pretty good. Thanks again for checking on it.

8 months later
#12373 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am sure it will happen. Has anyone managed to complete all 5 wizard modes in a game yet, anyway?

I've had all 5 lit and 4/5 started, but drained out of the wizard mode I was in before I could start the final one that was already lit. I should have timed it out and went for the 5th one, but I played it and paid for it.

The big distinction here for me is will you have to just *play* them all or will you have to complete them all for Break The Curse. If it's complete them all, good luck. Keith can take his sweet time because no one is going to be seeing that legitimately for a long, long time.

#12414 4 years ago

I'm absolutely ecstatic to say that I joined the club this weekend. Put my old Wrestlemania Pro towards it as partial trade and drove just under 4 hours each way with my kids yesterday to complete the deal. Came with an unused brand new plastic set and extra ship motor too. I loved JJP Pirates from the first time I played it, but I never thought I would be picking up one of these anytime soon. Super excited to have it in the lineup, it will keep me entertained for a long time to come.

71229915_10217476625900520_8501105034707075072_o (resized).jpg71229915_10217476625900520_8501105034707075072_o (resized).jpg
#12418 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Congrats! Did the previous owner buy a new motor to have as spare or something?

The ship wasn't moving as well as as expected. I was told that they got the issue fixed via text support but by the time that happened Jersey Jack had already sent out a replacement motor to him.

#12420 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

They have wanted every replaced part they sent to me returned within 30 days or they charge you full price. How was he able to keep it?

Not sure, maybe this was a long time ago or the story I was told wasn't how it actually happened.

2 weeks later
#12624 4 years ago

I thought fellow Pirates lovers might like this. This is my first JJP game, so I was always used to information and pricing cards on the apron on my Stern & Bally / Williams games. I like the graphics on the Pirates apron, but thought it looked a little empty down there, so I figured I would try something that was inspired by the signature card on the new Wonka CE and wouldn't break the bank. The game is basically the Joshamee Gibbs show with him being the narrator and all, so I thought it would be fun to have something from the character or the actor down there. The actor Kevin McNally is English and it doesn't look like he does a lot of conventions or anything in the states, so getting something personalized from him was out of the question in the short term. I went out to see what his autograph goes for and it was very cheap, so I got this index card signature from a reputable seller for $8.25 plus shipping. I liked how it had the signature, but also had his picture / info from the movies in a simple nice looking format, plus the size was a perfect fit. Then I went to a local collectible shop and got a hard plastic index card (3x5) holder for the signature card for $.27. I came home, pulled a crappy magnet off the fridge we had duplicates of that we got from some parade or something and used permanent double sided tape to adhere it to the bottom of the plastic holder. Since the apron is metal, the magnet works great to keep the signature card in place and makes the signature card easily removable without any game modifications. All said and done I now have my custom JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Joshamee Gibbs SE pin for an additional $12.52 and 15 minutes worth of a trip to the store and effort.
IMAG4040 (resized).jpgIMAG4040 (resized).jpgIMAG4041 (resized).jpgIMAG4041 (resized).jpgIMAG4042 (resized).jpgIMAG4042 (resized).jpgIMAG4043 (resized).jpgIMAG4043 (resized).jpg

#12686 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Do you think the main wizard mode will be qualified just by playing all five minis or will there be more?[quoted image][quoted image]

I wondered this myself. I've had all 5 lit and played 4 of them. Drained out playing the 4th one when I told myself I should just time it out and play the next one. This was a while ago, so I didn't know at the time that Break The Curse wasn't in the game yet so that makes me feel better about draining. In this case I think it will be lit after playing the 5 mini wizard modes, unless Keith is really feeling cruel and makes it so that you have to complete all 5 mini wizards which would be damn near impossible.

1 week later
#12790 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes Mezelmods. Also checkout the pinball mod company if you haven’t already. He’s got cool stuff including the chest open and close add on

I just got my lighted star field and chest opening mod in the mail today. I'm going to try installing them the weekend, although I have to admit I am a little intimidated with the prospect of installing the chest opening mod from all I have read.

#12797 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'm considering taking the plunge on this game... generally, how is It? What are the positives and negatives in a nutshell? I've heard the code feels incomplete... would be very curious what the issue is there...

One of the best games ever. Top 3 or 4 for me for sure. I've never heard anyone even hint they thought the code was incomplete as it sits. Deep, challenging, complicated...absolutely. Only thing really absolutely missing right now is the main wizard mode and depending on how Keith sets up qualifying for it, it's a decent bet that next to almost no one would ever have qualified it up to this point anyway.

#12848 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has been discussed to death in the past. Each actor ( 23 ) owned their own video and audio rights, not Disney, and the only Disney movie like this as far as I know.
So you have to make a deal, your people and their attorney and agent. Some might not cost much, some a lot. Then get the audio/video you want to use. Put it in the game, and get Disney's approval, and then use it or not and continue or start over.
Heaven knows how much money and time this would all chew up. Easily double the cost of the game and delay it many more years.
In spite of everything. Eric made us a great game. With what he had to work with.
LTG : )

I wonder if Chow Yun Fat had a special deal that made him more difficult. I always thought it was odd that some minor characters like Scrum, Cotton and Marty were included but Sao Feng wasn't.

#12861 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So, I've now also found an SE for sale... about $6k cheaper than the CE!! The question I'd like to ask you knowledgeable and helpful people is, what do I really lose out on for that 6k?

You shouldn't limit yourself to an LE/CE IMHO. I've played both versions extensively and I ended up buying an SE. I saved a lot of money that way and I am extremely happy with it. There aren't really any gameplay differences minus the star map and honestly hardly anyone understands and/or uses it anyway. And to compensate, it shows you the shots on the playfield to replace it. In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. All the inserts still color change on the SE anyway.

Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I think the two main items you miss out on in the Standard is the Starfield (which I personally don't use in my LE), and the small LCD Screen near the action button which imitates Captain Jack Sparrow's mysterious compass (which I do use slightly). Other than that - everything else on the playfield is the same (I think). So I do not believe you'll suffer any lack of game play with a standard. I'd jump on it at that price, because as I mentioned before - the Standard Run was the lowest and rarest run of the 3 designs. ; )

The SE has the LCD screen in the apron.

#12869 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Which Stern Premiums are more rare than LE's?!

Avengers for sure. Possibly Mustang, although no one bought either of those versions.

1 month later
#13186 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So I'm not reading 264 pages of this thread...i know at the beginning everyone was pissed no spinning discs...what is the consensus now? Good game? A lot of issues? Please tell me its better than Hobbit....

Good game? It's better than a good game. Top 4 all time for me easily. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to pick one up like I did. And yes...much better than Hobbit.

The multiple spinning discs were hard to read, didn't really affect the ball differently than a single spinning disc and weren't reliable. The single disc is just fine. Had it never been shown with multiple spinning discs, no one would have cared.

#13208 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Looking at the matrix other than the armor is the standard Pirates a good buy compared to the CE? Normally I'm a premium or LE guy (with Stern) but just doesn't seem like there is a lot for the extra grand. Or am I missing some differences? Anyone selling a standard or CE?

I'll repost my opinion on this from earlier in the thread...

"You shouldn't limit yourself to an LE/CE IMHO. I've played both versions extensively and I ended up buying an SE. I saved a lot of money that way and I am extremely happy with it. There aren't really any gameplay differences minus the star map and honestly hardly anyone understands and/or uses it anyway. And to compensate, it shows you the shots on the playfield to replace it. In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. All the inserts still color change on the SE anyway."

That said, I am not a big cosmetic mod guy, some people are. I wouldn't pay anything for upgraded glass, it's just not necessary in my experience. The powercoat is just black instead of chrome, the topper is nothing special and I already said the color changing GI isn't worth it to me. I don't need an external headphone jack, etc. Back when the difference between a NIB SE and LE was $1000 I could definitely see the value there for some people, but now it seems like the difference is $1500 between the two models on the second hand market and that definitely wasn't worth the extra cost to me on a game that already greatly exceeded my normal pinball machine spending range.

#13217 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I must respectfully disagree. The Pirates LE is more than worth the additional cost for those of us thst vslue aesthetics.

I agree with you. As far as upgrades go for an LE and value, it blows most other games out of the water...for those that value cosmetic upgrades. For someone like me who does not put much value in them and tends to be more thrifty buying games, when I can save over $1000 and get the exact same playing game as an LE minus the star map...I'm going to save the $1000 every time.

#13274 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What's the going rate on a stock le used?

About 10k when I was looking.

#13280 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I suspect your geographic market might have an effect on pricing....my guess its more like $12K+ depending on condition and upgrades

I'm sure you are right. This was a few months ago now too that I was looking. I wouldn't sell my SE for $10k as it sits, so I don't doubt people want $11-12k for their LEs.

2 weeks later
#13524 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That would be pretty crazy if....
"Git yer hands off me Gobstoppers...YARRR!!"
(Sorry for the quick phone editing!)[quoted image]

Maybe it's Sao Feng? I always thought it was weird he wasn't in it when they included very minor characters like Cotton and Scrum.

#13527 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I remember someone mentioning maybe a license issue to get Chow Yun-Fat? I think even just for those photos, they had to pay each actor.
Personally, I hope it's....
[quoted image]
OR!!! hogbog
[quoted image]

I asked the question of there being a licensing issue with Chow-Yun Fat since he wasn't in the game, but I don't think anyone ever confirmed there was an issue.
The monkey makes a lot of sense. It's off beat being an animal so it makes sense not to include it by default and I would assume the licensing would be easier. Probably have to do some combination when the icon is on Jack on the player select screen to get him to appear.

2 weeks later
#13775 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I had to be up at 4 am so didn’t get to watch much. Did he mention anything about the final wizard mode being in game or any bug fixes?

Not yet.

jjppotc (resized).JPGjjppotc (resized).JPG
#13791 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Lmao so minor changes took 9 months. Maybe next year we will get a final wizard mode
Edit* Love the downvotes. Keep em coming. Nothing I saw was anywhere close to a major update. Still no final wizard mode that was supposed to be in an update 9 months ago. Some better chapter start graphics you know because the 480p stuff they had wasn’t very good to look at. I’ll say the attract mode call outs are the most exciting thing and that should have been done long ago

It just wasn't in the build they gave the beta testers. It's probably there in the code update, but the beta testers weren't given access to it. It's going to take a hell of a lot of setup to get to and even light the wizard mode, so they are probably testing that in house with cheat settings to start Break The Curse at game start for instance so they don't have to go through all that setup each time to test that mode.

#13817 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

ok enough is enough. For all you that keep assuming I cannot do this. I will have 5 Wizard modes completed in 1 game by Sunday. Not sure how its hard to understand losing interest when ive been 2 chapters and 1 wizard mode away and know what lies beyond. Is there any special rules you would like to impose? Ive said before send me the streaming equipment and I will attempt to stream (live in country so internet isnt the greatest) this game for you. If not ill have a picture by Sunday.
*Edit Anybody know the first time they said game would be feature complete at launch?

I've done it once on route at SS Billiards. I'm sure there is someone, but I don't know of anyone else anywhere that has had them all lit in one game. The game is so feature packed and getting all the wizard modes lit is so much more the exception rather than the rule, I don't mind in the least waiting for the code update. Plus, who says that you will just have to play the wizard modes to get to Break The Curse, there was potential talk going round that you might have to actually complete them all to light that in which case I'd say good luck with that to anyone.
0a36a47cf6538e3b7242d181025bc83afd9050c0 (resized).jpg0a36a47cf6538e3b7242d181025bc83afd9050c0 (resized).jpg

#13832 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yeah, but I think this one is different no? This one has legs. Not sure if they are the same or not. Are they? Both look great tho

It's the monkey that comes with this figure...

ebay.com link: Pirates of the Caribbean Barbossa Monkey Jack 7 in Figure Series 1

#13848 4 years ago

Hey guys and/or harryhoudini , does anyone know how to properly install Harry's Star Field map mod? I have an SE and I bought the lighted version. I assume I just use the double sided tape to adhere the LED plastic to the star field plastic and then bend it into place and install like normal? Only other question is where to pull power for the lights on an SE? I watched the videos so I know the basic installation, but I didn't see that it covers the lights at all, so any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!

On a side note, my Tortgua has started throwing it down the middle the majority of the time. I boosted the coil up to 28 even in the menu and it will still do it. I would like for it to kick out to the left flipper like I know it should. Any ideas for a fix there instead of dropping power to have it go to the right flipper?

#13859 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

If it was working consistently before and now suddenly started going a different direction consistently then as statsdoc & others said try retightening first. If it's always been inconsistent in how it kicks out leading up to this then other fix ideas might be in order.

Thanks guys! Yes, it was automatic for the longest time going to the left flipper even after I installed the Cliffy. I was probably afraid to crank down too on the nuts too hard when I installed it, so coming loose is definitely a realistic possibility. I'll check it out.

#13923 4 years ago
Quoted from Dexje:

hey pirates ,
i have the chance of getting a NIB SE - is there any good footage of one? I cant really find anything on yt showcasing an SE and I have only played LE versions myself. I would love to see the GI difference in gameplay.

On an SE, the GI is all white like a most pins are. All inserts color change still though, so you can easily tell what Pirates reward you are on.

I played both versions extensively before I bought mine and I ended up buying an SE as I the felt the features lost were not worth the extra dollars in the second hand market. I am extremely happy with my decision and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

#13934 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP should skip waiting until the show and announce Guns N Roses ASAP to take advantage of the lull with Stranger Things bombing and Iron Man vault having close to zero demand. I assume they're making machines already since it was so delayed and they could beat TMNT to the punch by months.

Agreed. Now would be the time to strike.

#13944 4 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I personally don't care for RGB GI short of attract mode light shows. Maybe I need new glasses, but I find it hard to see the ball when the colors changes too much.

I agree. Color changing GI can be okay on a color explosion game like WOZ or Wonka, but on a darker themed game like Pirates I don't think it translates nearly as well. Having a game like Pirates light up all neon pink looks out of place.

1 week later
#14138 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Hey guys and/or harryhoudini , does anyone know how to properly install Harry's Star Field map mod? I have an SE and I bought the lighted version. I assume I just use the double sided tape to adhere the LED plastic to the star field plastic and then bend it into place and install like normal? Only other question is where to pull power for the lights on an SE? I watched the videos so I know the basic installation, but I didn't see that it covers the lights at all, so any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!
On a side note, my Tortgua has started throwing it down the middle the majority of the time. I boosted the coil up to 28 even in the menu and it will still do it. I would like for it to kick out to the left flipper like I know it should. Any ideas for a fix there instead of dropping power to have it go to the right flipper?

Just a quick follow up to this for anyone else who maybe looking for answers. The scoop deflector had definitely come loose on my game. I couldn't believe how loose it was. I tightened down the screws and added blue locktite and that fixed the scoop shooting balls down the middle. Also used the trick where you remove the pop bumper cap and loosen the two screws underneath the pop bumper light board so you can move it to the side to access the scoop deflector screws without removing the entire assembly...very handy.

Also, for the lighted star map mod on an SE version, the power connector is bundled up in the split loom under the playfield, so you have to cut a couple zip ties to get it at and then connect it. Works and looks fantastic, very happy with it. I also used double sided thin tape I had on hand to keep the lightboard in place and then just friction for the star map plastic in front of it. No issues so far.

1 week later
#14213 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I mentioned it to the beta testers because I thought it might just be in the new beta code, but no one spoke up. Must only be some people's pins and not others, but so far 3 people see that.

Doesn't happen on my game and mine are set to factory.

On another note, I'm not an aftermarket topper guy...unless harry comes up with something because I know it will look like it belongs in the game in the first place...but I picked this up at Goodwill for $5. It's brand new and I am going to put it together and see what it looks like. It looks really detailed for what it is. Also, looking it up online, apparently there is a version of it that comes with LED lighting you can put in it and it looks great lit up.

IMG_20200217_130539 (resized).jpgIMG_20200217_130539 (resized).jpg
#14215 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Damn. That is pretty cool!!

It is pretty crazy looking. Dimensions show it as 2ft tall, so it may be a little big, but I was going to put it together anyway for fun so we'll see if it would look decent on the game when I'm done.

https://www.amazon.com/CubicFun-Puzzles-Revenge-Sailboat-Children/dp/B07W7Z74LV/ref=sr_1_2

IMG_20200217_1305391 (resized).JPGIMG_20200217_1305391 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#14527 4 years ago

I'm so glad I have this pin when we're all stuck inside. It is so much fun to play and just doesn't get old to me at all. I have cliffy's and the chest opening mod to install but my game works so I don't want to take it apart and roll the dice right now of it not working when I put it back together. My favorite way to play right now is look at the character high score list and play with whichever character currently has the lowest score overall. Last night it was Cutler Beckett and I ended up taking him from the lowest to a new Grand champion score. It's so much fun to take each character and see a high you can go with them. How is everyone else playing it?

#14533 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I watched the video of the 20+ million shot posted in the thread a long time ago. I noticed he's able to backhand the right ramp. I'd be curious what the pitch and lower right flipper power settings are in that setup. The way mine is currently set up I can't backhand to the Pearl. It only gets about 3/4 of the way up the ramp when I try it. My pitch is 6.5 by the flippers (and 7.0 by the upper left flipper, and 7.3 by the chest) and my lower right flipper is at the default 25.

I can't backhand that shot like that either. On mine, with a perfect shot I can barely make it through the gate to register the shot and have it come right back down to the right flipper. What a nice advantage it would be to be able to do that consistently to set up your Pirate awards.

#14549 4 years ago

God I love this game, but I swear there is not another game in existence that is so difficult to string together multiple good balls in a row or even just in a game. When you have to really start focusing and shooting for specific things (like in Wizard Modes and later on during play), this game is unforgiving. I've never seen another game like it in that regard. Case in point, played Gibbs since he was low on the totem pole score wise. Ball 1...3.5 million with 4 more balls to play. Everything was working. Play on, get another EB...and still end up with only 4.5 million for the game...5 balls later. I of course missed my hold bonus that was lit, so I missed out on countless points over those balls by not being able to carry over bonus and I had the Dead Man's Chest wizard mode running with 6x scoring, hit 1 shot and drained. I have seen this so many times on this game. It's like the game says, "I gave you 1 ball, that's enough of that." and you get pops right to the drain or a dribble off the gold targets down the left outlane. She's a beauty, but what a cruel mistress.

#14551 4 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

I hope you mean million or I REALLY suck

Yep, corrected. If I was dropping 3.5 billion on the game I could live with a few bad balls.

#14553 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

5 ball games too?

No, factory settings. I play all my games on factory settings, I like to play the game how it was designed to be played and see how good I can do. I had gotten 2 EBs on ball 1 so I had 4 balls left after my first ball.

#14614 4 years ago

Holy sh!t I love playing this game. Just took Henry Turner from the bottom to the top with 6 mil. During the game I know I saw some kind of a scoring bug during the Fountain of Youth Wizard Mode during this game. I had 6x playfield going during it and had hit all the major shots for the first round. I was way into the wizard mode and hit a lit Tia Dalma Bayou shot and the screen showed a 22,222,227,xxx jackpot. I only looked up to see how much it was because I thought it was going to be big, but I didn't think it was going to be that big. It didn't give me those points though because I ended up with 6 mil for the game.

Also, one question about Don't Betray The Compass wizard mode, what the hell do you do in that? I had hit all the shots for the first round I thought and was progressing nicely. I thought I was way into the mode when I hit a shot and it ended it and my mode total was only 200k even. I play this mode so rarely I still am up in the air on it. The screen shows all the shots on top of the compass image and it looks like hitting the 9 pieces of 8 shots are what you want to do at first. I remember though having that wizard mode going one time in the past and hitting the map shot first shot and it ended the mode and my mode total was only 50k. Anyone know the strategy here?

1 week later
#14733 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I can hit the chest lock with the left flipper, but I can't backhand the Pearl ramp from the right flipper. My right flipper is at default power setting. I haven't tried increasing that power because I'm pretty happy with how all the other shots are set up currently and I'm thinking increasing that power would probably result in airballs off the Maelstrom.

With a perfect shot, I can backhand the right ramp to just get it up there enough to qualify the shot and then return to the right flipper. I cannot backhand the chest shot when lock is lit with enough power to lock the ball, nor can I simply hold up the right flipper and trap the ball everytime on a ball return to the right flipper like Karl does. That auto trapping would be super helpful.

#14772 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Hey did anyone ever figure out how to get the secret 23rd character or was that just a joke?

No one has figured it out that I know of. I'm not sure it's in the game yet, might be coming with the code update. I asked about it and the way my question was responded to makes me believe it is real and coming in the code update, but they couldn't discuss it.

#14777 4 years ago

I finally took off my Black Pearl to install the rest of my cliffy set and give the game a good cleaning. I removed the vuk in the back right hand corner and noticed my vuk doesn't have a wire gate on it like Modfather's did in his Black Pearl removal video. My game seems to play perfectly. Any ideas what that gate is there for and what issues could pop up with out it?

#14785 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wouldn't normal suggest or Sway it but as Pirates is a rather Small by comparison club/grouping do consider giving the Black pearl a vote in the finals IF and only IF you do believe it is the better game. Again Not swaying your opinion just suggesting this game deserves its rightful time to shine..... Plus its all in fun anyway. More like guidelines........
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/2

That's a tough draw. I'd take JJP Pirates over every other game in the Elite 8 without hesitation. Coincidentally I sold my LOTR for $$$ and space to pick up JJP Pirates and I don't regret it for a second.

#14789 4 years ago

Can someone take a quick overhead picture of the area between the chest and the chapter start area?

I tore down my game for cleaning and to install the rest of the cliffys and when I put it back together it works and I had no extra pieces but my chest seems too leaned to the left. A locked ball shoots down to the chest arm and the arm holds it in the chest, but it really flexes it more so than I remember before. I think I may have stacked the metal chest connector tab on the top of the plastics on the right when maybe it should have gone underneath so I wanted to double check what that looks like. Thanks!

#14791 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks harryhoudini . So is your setup like this I can't quite tell. There's a plastic and then a metal piece that connects both posts and then the metal tab that connects the chest to the plastic. Mine has the metal tab on top but because of how the chest is angled I'm thinking maybe it needs to go underneath. My chest just seems a little too high on that right hand side.

Thinking about it, the two posts closest to the chest are taller than the two posts closer to the chapter start shot. Your posts near the chest have the nuts right near the top of the bolt while mine have a lot of bolt excess showing on top of the nut. I wonder if I mixed those up and the smaller posts are supposed to be closer to the chest? I think I kept them in order when I took them out, but I guess they could have gotten switched.
IMG_20200414_142325 (resized).jpgIMG_20200414_142325 (resized).jpgIMG_20200414_142351 (resized).jpgIMG_20200414_142351 (resized).jpg

#14793 4 years ago

Those definitely aren't the right posts. Must be backwards.

Figures. 50-50 shot and I get it wrong. I knew it was too good to be true when everything worked right when I put it back together. Now I get to take it apart again. Fun.

#14820 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What compass? The one on the apron? I dont' think I've ever looked at that in a game!

Yes. Likewise though, I never remember to look at it either. Normally when I'm playing there are very few chances to look at anything but the playfield.

1 week later
#14876 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Liars dice has to be the most confusing video mode in history.

Liars dice has more code and rules associated with it than all of Munsters.

1 week later
#14905 3 years ago

Eric confirmed in his live stream tonight why Sao Feng isn't in the game. He tried to get him in the game, but he said Chow Yun Fat was a dead stop no to any licensing. Money, whatever didn't matter so they weren't able to put him in the game.

#14962 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks lucky! We seem similar. So do you do any special technique to do the rolling lane pass from the depths or just have the left flipper raised?
[quoted image]

If I just raise my left flipper, it will roll over into the right sling and send the ball out of control. I have to make a timed light flipper raise to pass it to the right flipper controllably.

#14968 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And speaking of the Depths, does anyone think they'll do something to incorporate it into game play? Right now I think it lights for Special, but I can only remember that happening once ever on my machine. The rest of the time it's not used for anything.

Shooting the depth gives you a skull hold, which are super important for getting really big scores.

#14970 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

POTC doesn't lack a wizard mode, it has 5 wizard modes. It's a game design and it's released, so it's finished and yet never done.
If they actually spend more effort on features/code, they should add content and fine tune aspects of the game we regularly see.

After playing (possibly completing in which case good luck) all 5 of the movie wizard modes, the final wizard mode is called Break The Curse and that isn't in the game yet.

I think Keith is asking the question of why people are so eager to have it in the game right now when people aren't reaching the point of where it would be in the game anyway. I know I've never gotten there. I've had all 5 wizard modes lit and played 4 of them, but drained before I could start the 5th. If that is the qualification to get Break The Curse, I've been close, but if you have to finish all the wizard modes to qualify it then I have barely scratched the surface.

#14996 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yet ANOTHER missing (minor) thing in the game. Only the JJP logo has attract music. At least it's got some i guess - My Elvira HOH has nothing at all!

One thing I would like to see is some kind of base value for the wizard modes or something along those lines. The wizard modes are not easy to get to and you can definitely maximize their value by planning ahead, but there should be some minimum reward for getting there, maybe 250,000 points for achieving and then whatever you get in the mode. Today I got to the Curse of the Black Pearl wizard mode, played it and didn't even lose my ball in it, it just timed out and all I got was 12,000 points. There is no reason a wizard mode that is achieved and played played until it timed out should only award less than a standard MB start shot.

#15031 3 years ago

I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!

I figured I'd just go down and play a quick game, little did I know I would end up beating Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time ever. The final wizard mode isn't in the game yet but I got to all five movie wizard modes and played them all and then kept going. With 2 balls left and EB lit, I had the last two wizard modes lit. In perfect fashion, next ball, plunge, bricked the shot and quick drain...also tilted trying to save it and lost 486,000 in bonus to boot which was fantastic. Got At World's End started with 1 ball left and played through it, then drained. Had to collect my EB on my last ball and got Dead Men Tell No Tales started to seal it and then kept going! Ended up with over 15 million. Absolutely amazing game! I can't believe there is still more to come!?!? Thank you Hogbog and team!

So now I could legitimately complain that the final wizard mode isn't in the game because I would have played it, but you know what? I don't mind, take your time, do it right, make it awesome and I'll be back! I love this game!

97154971_10219642270200274_7832845313571291136_n (resized).jpg97154971_10219642270200274_7832845313571291136_n (resized).jpg97997167_10219642269720262_8160650738159058944_n (resized).jpg97997167_10219642269720262_8160650738159058944_n (resized).jpg98358963_10219642270880291_6901387698729123840_n (resized).jpg98358963_10219642270880291_6901387698729123840_n (resized).jpg97406815_10219642269360253_5588891159595319296_n (resized).jpg97406815_10219642269360253_5588891159595319296_n (resized).jpg

#15035 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Wow nice work! curious....how many games have u put on your POTC?

That's a good question. I am the second owner, so I don't know if I can check for sure, but I'll look and see. I think the previous owner reset the settings when he sold it to me so maybe it does have my lifetime plays.

#15039 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Which character did you use?

It was Marty. There wasn't any strategy to that, he was just a character that had a low high score, so I chose him to try to up it. His advantages are all gold related, so I did set a new gold collector champion too with 759 or something like that.

#15073 3 years ago

A box of fun showed up today. I don't need it but I got a great deal on it locally so I figured what the heck. My Pirates is going to be around for a long long time so it can't hurt to have this around too.

IMG_20200516_152939 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_152939 (resized).jpg

#15075 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

What switch triggers the extra ball? I was doing some maintenance and was looking around that are.
For some reason I assumed there was an opto or something that triggered but there isn’t anything in that area.
Is it just one of the pops?

It's the sling underneath the ramp to the black pearl. You have to hit it clean without hitting any of the pops.

#15077 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Thanks! That is not remotely close to what I was expecting!
So you’d need a clean shot into the sling near the word tortuga to bounce it to that sling?

Exactly. It's a thing of beauty when you nail it, even more so if you hit it on the fly.

#15096 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Wow nice work! curious....how many games have u put on your POTC?

Quoted from LesManley:

That's a good question. I am the second owner, so I don't know if I can check for sure, but I'll look and see. I think the previous owner reset the settings when he sold it to me so maybe it does have my lifetime plays.

I looked and it was 188.

#15108 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

A quick game you say? How long did this game last?

It was close to an hour. My wife had even sent my 8 year old son downstairs to find me and see what was going on because dinner was ready and I had said I was just going to play a quick game. I told him I was close to beating the game and he said he didn't want his coming downstairs to be the reason I didn't make it because he thought he was distracting me. It was cute. I told him that wasn't the case and not to worry about it...then promptly had that plunge, brick, drain ball. Him being there was good though because it forced me to keep my composure and he got a kick out of being there when I did it. If that had happened and he wasn't there I would have been swearing and probably punching bar stools, but with him there I took it rather well.

#15122 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah, check your level but drains from the mode start (star map?) is a very common complaint. We are all expecting a ball save coming out of there in the next software update.
Tortuga you could check the angle of the scoop or change power settings. There’s a whole thread dedicated to troubleshooting this pin. Look for it. Its well indexed so you can usually find references to any problems that come up.

For Tortuga drains, it's most likely the scoop deflector has come loose. That's what happened with mine. I added some blue locktite and tightened the two screws back down and it's been fine ever since.

#15126 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

This was the case on mine. Didn’t want to pull the pop bumper off so just tightened the screw I could get to and solved the issue (temporarily until I can get the bumper off).

You don't have to take the whole pop bumper off. if you remove the pop bumper cap and loosen the screws underneath you can easily get at both of those deflector screws without removing it completely. I only figured that out after removing it once or twice before that.

1 week later
#15156 3 years ago
Quoted from Yaron:

How can I join the club?
I heard rumors about JJ starting manufacturing this title again. Do you know?
Alternatively, do you know of a distributor who might still have a machine in their inventory?

Quoted from Soulrider911:

Well, Folks, I can't believe I am doing this. But financially I have to let one of my games has to go. Pirates is the one. I will post in classifieds soon, it is HUO, lots of mods, all cliffy's, T-nut fix in place, plays phenomenal. If anyone is interested PM me, want to give some Pirate fans dibs before I list it publicly.

Seems like a potential match made in heaven...depending where Yaron is at distance wise.

1 week later
#15177 3 years ago

I've been playing Pirates still with the low man on the totem pole character selection method. I play primarily for completion, but also try to be aware of point opportunities. I've gotten through all the game chapters twice now, my first time with Marty were I got 15 mil and then with Elizabeth but only got 9 mil that time. I had a goal to get everyone over 3 mil and did that and I'm almost at everyone over 4 mil, but it is getting hard as you need a pretty good game to bust 4 mil and with how unforgiving the game can be, even a good start is easily wasted. Case in point, I was just playing Will got a 75k skill shot on my initial plunge and the shot to MAP hole gave me an EB which never happens, so 10 seconds in I'm at 80k with an EB. I had a good game, was climbing the points ladder fast but that changed quick. Last two balls were vintage Pirates, couldn't hit the Dead Men Tell No Tales shot to start MB and drained out both times in seconds, first drain I missed my bonus and skull hold so everything reset on me. Game ended at 3.8 mil. On my Pintel score of 3.982 I tilted out my ball 3 bonus which would have put me over 4 mil which was disappointing. I think I am going to have to start ignoring completion and focus on scoring opportunities almost exclusively to get everyone over 4 mil and then hopefully even 5 mil because it's just not even worth playing wizard modes if you don't have a high skull value and/or multipliers and SJPs. With the game code like it is, there isn't really a point to try to get through them when there is no value. You have to be so focused on holding skull values and bonus, if you ignore it to get further in the game it really becomes a detriment to your game.

IMG_20200615_203755 (resized).jpgIMG_20200615_203755 (resized).jpg

#15179 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Ugh.... I was pretty excited about my 1.5M score. Clearly I have much to learn!!!

You should be excited about your 1.5 mil game! You could have progressed really well in the game, but just didn't have things going at the right time to get your score way up there, this game is such a game of timing. Scoring can be so varied in this game even with similar progress. I'm finding more and more how important it is to try to set up scoring opportunities because there just isn't many individual big points to be had like in most other games. For me, it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that playing a wizard mode in certain instances doesn't really make sense since normally in other games they are mainly big point opportunities. JJP Pirates is a very involved game with everything going on. I wouldn't claim to know everything there is by any means as I'm still learning too, but as soon as you start figuring out little things and putting them together, that's when your scores can get big, but it's hard. The game can be very unforgiving when you start shooting very specific shots and/or stand up targets that can send the ball out of control. Your best bet for a high single point value is a super jackpot shot, but some of those are extremely difficult to get even 1 or 2 and even when you do they are only around 45k without a multiplier. Most everything else "big" is around a few thousand un-multiplied, so without multipliers, held 6x bonuses and/or multiplied wizard modes it can take really long games to get your score up really high at that pace. It is so rewarding when you can line things up and manage not to lose the ball or the setup while doing it.

#15182 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Wow! I'm just working on getting all characters over 1M. I've played about 400 games now and my best score is 2.5M. My best wizard mode was around 700-800K. My best single shot was a SJP with 6x playfield for 260K. I can never seem to cash in a shot X for anything valuable. Any suggestions for doing that?

Shot X is tough because it's the very next shot and that's it. If you have a MB going it can be almost impossible to shoot something you want and it's so hard to set up. I wouldn't worry about shot X right now and focus on the 6x multiplier first since it runs for 30 seconds so you have more opportunities.

The best shots for the multiplier are the SJPs and the wizard mode shots if you have any value for that wizard mode, but you can get single normal shots up there in value too. One thing I would definitely focus on is the skull value. Each movie shot has a skull value. Base is 1000 and each time you make that shot it increases that skull value until the value maxes out at 10000. Whatever the skull value is for the shot when you shoot it, you get that amount of points for the shot. That means if you have the chest shot maxed out at 10000, whenever you shoot that shot, it's worth 10000 points. On a easily repeatable shot like the chest or the upper loop, this can get very valuable, especially if you have both those shots at a high value and then combo them chest to loop. Add in a multiplier like 6x and you could be getting 60000 for a single standard shot every time. Add in a MB or MBs and you can imagine that scoring can go up really quick in this situation. The thing to remember here is that skull values reset every ball...unless you get them held. Each time you shoot the depths, you'll hold a skull value. Mystery awards can also hold multiple skulls values. This is so key to focus on when you get a high skull value...you can't let it reset, you need to make sure you get it held or you will miss out on so many points.

#15186 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

What I haven’t really figured out yet are the skull values / holds. Seem to default to 1000, and I’ve seen much more on some. When do these points apply? Every time I hit that skull lane again anytime? Or only when I hit the character after a chapter is started? How do I increase their value? I saw an increase in the Tartuga prize, can’t imagine that’s the only way. Also, how do I get a hold (I think I also saw in a Tartuga Prize)? And if one of the skulls is high, what’s the best way to take advantage of that high skull value? Thanks all!!!

Every time you shoot one of the movie shots it increases the skull value. Random awards can also add points to skull value. And every time you shoot that shot you get the current skull value for that shot. It doesn't have to be in any mode or multi-ball. They all max out at 10,000 points. The best way to take advantage of a high skull value is to set yourself up for an easily repeatable high value shot like the chest loop combo. Try to have a high multiplier running and bring in some multi balls to keep it going. You can hold the skull value by shooting the depths. every time you shoot it it will hold one skull value. You can get rewards that give you multiple skull value holds randomly.

#15190 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Just checked the skull value hold when shooting the devil‘s triangle. Noticed that a value hold is not always rewarded even if the ball makes a full turn. Is that normal? I have no problems starting the multiball, which requires the same shot. And no error in the switch test matrix.

You need to shoot The Depths scoop to the left of the Devil's Triangle to hold skull values, not the Devil's Triangle shot itself.

#15208 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

I thought this was discussed somewhere before but I played Davey Jones and won several liars dice and eventually gambled for “your soul”. I had a great game 5.4 million, 2 wizard modes played and 2 more lit with 23 chapters played and 2 balls left. Well I lost and the game just froze. No buttons worked. Just liars dice music playing and “you lose” starring back at me. Eventually just had to shut off the game as I could even trigger a tilt with the plum bob. Bummer of an ending. Has this happened to others before and what is supposed to happen if you win or lose. I’ve heard it’s just an extra ball if you win and lose you ball if you lose but that seems anticlimactic. Thanks.
[quoted image]

When you play for your soul it's ball and character over if you lose. They've talked about how the game doesn't handle it correctly right now. If you play for an EB and you are on your final ball, lose and it's over since you don't have another ball to lose. Your ball will end too if you play for 2 tilt warnings and you lose and don't have to tilt warnings to lose.

On that note, Liar's Dice is so hard. The computer always has ridiculous hands and if I take my hand that has 3 twos in it for instance and just hopefully assume that the computer has one so I bid 4...the computer will call me a liar and I almost always lose. I hate playing Liar's Dice without Davey Jones because it's so often just an excuse to lose all my souls or treasures.

#15215 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I think Super X is most important. You can only get it every other completion of Pirate lanes. Sometimes I will go for bonus x hold if I notice I have a good bonus X. Arrr Frenzy is valuable (3rd completion of Pirate Lanes), especially if you can get it with a MB.
The worst are Big Points and Hurry Up. Both are virtually worthless.
Pintel is a good character for spotting Pirate Lanes.

Super X is the most important for getting big scores. Bonus x is good and can be big (400k+), but even if held and you lose the ball right away, 6x bonus can end up only around 150k. Arr Frenzy is good too, but you need a multiplier with it. My best Arr Frenzy is only around 800K, most of mine end up around 100k. Big Points is only good if you have 6666666 running and 3 Hurry Up's light some reward, I can't remember what Keith said it was off hand, but I have never tried for it.

#15218 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So for the super x and shot x, how do you get the bigger x? Usually it seems to just life 2x and I hit it. Is there more that I need to understand to get 6x on stuff?

The first time you light super x only the 2X stand up is flashing. The next time 2X and 3X the next time 2, 3 and 4X and so on and so on. You don't even have 6X as an option until that final time you light it. And even if it's lit you can still screw up and hit 2x or something lesser than 6X by accident so it's no guarantee still.

#15223 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

Do you (or anyone) know what you get for hitting big points with all 6 multi balls going? I’ve never heard of 3 hurry ups giving you something - now I’m intrigued. I just hate hurry up bc it’s so worthless. Anyone else know about these?

I asked about it in the livestream that Eric did of JJP a month or two ago now in the chat and one of the people that worked on the game chimed in and said 3 hurry ups gave you something, I just can't remember what it was. I guess it must not have been that impressive to me. I can say I've never even tried for 3 hurry-ups myself even after he said what it was, so it couldn't have been that great.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

According to Karl DeAngelo, getting big points with all 6 MB going scores 66K points. I've never done it myself.

It is 66k.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I could have swore one time POTC took my picture and it put a fake pirate hat on my head, have you guys seen that?? I never saw again since.

Yep. Sometimes it will give you an eye patch or a parrot too.

#15264 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

This game is fantastic as is. The rules are deep and well implemented. It's not like initial Stern code at all.
Have a lot of people completed all movie modes in one game without a wizard mode, or are they just insisting it exist even though they have no ability to see it? And what's wrong with the ball search?

I've done it twice now, but I love the game. I can't get to the missing wizard mode on any consistent basis and there is plenty to still do with all the characters and high score boards so I am personally willing to be patient. I have confidence in Keith that when it does come, it will have been worth the wait.

#15266 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

That's not a good example.
Unbalanced scoring is when there is a way to boost your score without sufficient play or skill, a loophole to a high score.
66k scoring is just a feature in the game that if it didn't exist, you wouldn't even know. It's as relevant as midnight madness. A cool novelty but not a quick way to a high score.
You don't want to lose to someone who got a 1M mystery award. That is an example of unbalanced scoring.

I agree. The values are probably too low for how hard they are to get, same thing with Treasure Hoard only being 50k...although I did manage to get that with 6x running for 300k once which was nice.

JJP Pirates is no Ghostbusters. You can't just hit a couple of ramps, bounce off some targets and standups and luck your way into a 350mil GB video mode or huge super jackpots and beat someone who is playing through the game with skill. I don't think scoring is unbalanced in Pirates at all personally. You definitely could argue that some things are not valuable enough for their difficulty (666666, treasure hoard, wizard modes, etc) but you aren't going to luck out and get a ton of points and beat someone else on JJP Pirates with a big mystery award or a ridiculous 40x multiplied shot. All the big scoring opportunities in JJP Pirates require a lot of thought and planning with exact shots and timing to make them really pay off, there really isn't much luck involved at all.

#15283 3 years ago

F Liar's Dice! I swear to God I never win Liar's Dice on the first time ever and my overall win percentage has to be awful. I would bet no better than 20-25% overall. There is probably a record of it in the menu, I should check. It's so ridiculous. I'll have 2 of something and bid 3 hoping that the computer has just 1 of that number...he never does, calls me a liar and I lose. Then the computer will bid 3 of something that I have none of and I'll call him a liar and sure enough he always has 3 in his hand alone. Damn computer seems to always have a full house of numbers. So ridiculous, it's just an excuse for me to lose my gold, souls or treasure...I should never play it but I keep hoping something will change. That's all, just had to vent.

#15291 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

F Liar's Dice! I swear to God I never win Liar's Dice on the first time ever and my overall win percentage has to be awful. I would bet no better than 20-25% overall. There is probably a record of it in the menu, I should check. It's so ridiculous. I'll have 2 of something and bid 3 hoping that the computer has just 1 of that number...he never does, calls me a liar and I lose. Then the computer will bid 3 of something that I have none of and I'll call him a liar and sure enough he always has 3 in his hand alone. Damn computer seems to always have a full house of numbers. So ridiculous, it's just an excuse for me to lose my gold, souls or treasure...I should never play it but I keep hoping something will change. That's all, just had to vent.

There is audits in the menu and it's just like I thought, horrible. The worst part is I bet at least a few of those wins are from when I was Davy Jones and that is his advantage so it's even worse. Now I remember why I usually don't even bother trying to light it as an award. Something is definitely weird in the audits too because it says my treasure hoard points are zero and you can see I've collected it and the high score table for it says that mine is 350,000.

IMG_20200701_104508 (resized).jpgIMG_20200701_104508 (resized).jpg

#15297 3 years ago

HA! More Liar's Dice ridiculousness. I had my phone by me so I figured I would take pictures of before and after since I thought it would probably turn out this way. I was actually dealt a full house, couldn't believe it. Got up to three 6's as my bid, computer bids four 1's and I have none. I thought I must have this one won right? Of course not. Down goes my already horrible LD winning percentage. I wonder if your LD winning chances go up or down depending on what your score is at the time? Liar's Dice shouldn't be this difficult as an award.
IMG_20200702_135155 (resized).jpgIMG_20200702_135155 (resized).jpgIMG_20200702_135200 (resized).jpgIMG_20200702_135200 (resized).jpg

#15300 3 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Not BS, just the RNG doing it's job. If you didn't know how Liar's Dice works:
CPU rolls 7 dice and keeps the best 5.
Player rolls 6 dice and keeps the best 5.
If you are playing as Davy Jones, you roll 10 dice and keep the best 5.
Try playing as Davy Jones for a while and see how many rounds you can win.

Playing with Davey Jones I think I probably have 25% of my total Liar's Dice wins ever and for sure my only two 2+ LD wins in a single game. My problem is whenever I only have 2 of something and I bid 3 of that same number, he calls me a liar and I loose. Then in situations where I actually have multiples of a number like the one above I'll bid truthfully so I don't care if he calls me liar, but he outbids me and I'm screwed. I can't bid 5 cause he'll call me a liar and I'd loose and you would hope he wouldn't have have 4 of a kind out of 5 dice, but of course he does in these situations. I could try 4 sixes, but he never lets me go uncalled at 3 unless he has a monster hand and then he'll bid himself, so bidding four is just asking to be called a liar.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I don't recall the computer really lying even when I have been in a similar position.
Basically don't call the cpu a liar out of the gate unless you want to lose

I agree, I never call the computer a liar right away. The computer doesn't seem to lie very often at all ever. Problem is, he always calls me when I lie and always seems to have ridiculous hands to back up anything he bids so he doesn't need to lie so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can't lie cause he'll call me on it, but can't call him a liar because he'll have it in his hand.

#15309 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m having a little garage sale and I have a potc cabinet decal set. I used the right head decal to cover some shipping damage but the other four are brand new. Anyone have any need for those?

I could. I'll shoot you a message.

2 weeks later
#15359 3 years ago

Movie #4 - On Stranger Tides. Mermaids were featured thoughout; the one below in particular. The OST chapter "Do Not Waste My Tear" has special significance within the movie's plot (what there was of it) too.
[quoted image]

They really dropped the ball with that one IMHO. No one cares about Syrena or Philip, especially Philip. A total throwaway character. They had a great villain in Blackbeard and wasted him and set up a cliffhanger with Angelica and then wasted that too. I know they gimped the budget for it, but there was way too much on land action and much of the good stuff with Barbossa, his leg and the Pearl in the Bottle happens off screen. I love the films, but this one was weak.

#15361 3 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Gimped budget? Where. On Stranger Tides is THE most expensive movie ever made. No lie.

My mistake, they gimped the next movie's budget after this one did not live up to financial expectations. Sad. Even less excuse to not have a better movie.

#15364 3 years ago

I just realized I am ready for the JJP Pirates apocalypse. I've acquired an NOS playfield, mini playfield, plastics set, assembly decal set, playfield decal set, boat motor, cabinet decals and even a prototype translite. I've never bothered to pick up parts for a game I own like this before, but I don't have any intention of this game going anywhere soon so I've been picking stuff up as I can.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200723133722916_COVER (resized).jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20200723133722916_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133501042_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133501042_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133517867_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133517867_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133559310_COVER (resized).jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723133559310_COVER (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_152939 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_152939 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133215 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133215 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133228 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133228 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133327 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133327 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133438 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_133438 (resized).jpg
#15365 3 years ago

From a game play stand point I am creeping closer to my goal of getting all the characters over 5 million. Only 4 left, including Cotton who sucks...but if I can get 10 mil+ with Weatherby Swan in a single player game, I can break 5 mil with Cotton.

IMG_20200723_170950 (resized).jpgIMG_20200723_170950 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15418 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I got some clarification on this from the man himself, Keith Johnson. Apparently, even at 10K you still need a Skull hold or the value reverts back to 1K on the next ball. Also some more info on how Henry Turner actually works.
keefer
"Yes, Henry Turner.
BTW the skull value increases that happen DURING a chapter are based on the shot hit, not on a color. Generally speaking, the “harder” a shot is to make the bigger the skull value increase. It behooves you to try and shoot the outside shots first so the inner shots are way more valuable.
Skull values only hold when they say they are held. (Except one character, I think Angelica, always gives 1 free hold if you drain as her.) It’s very possible to lose your maxed-out Skull. By default, though, the game does its best to try and hold your most valuable skull first (unless you’re in a chapter, then it prefers the chapter you’re in).
A Tia Dalma shot adds the most during a chapter, 750, so if you’re Henry, she’ll add 1500."

I thought that was the case. I knew I remembered draining without a skull hold and losing my built up 10k before. It's especially awesome when you have it at 10k, the wizard mode lit and then drain without a skull hold.

2 weeks later
#15483 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to ask... Are you a sharp shooter type player?? How did you complete All modes and all 5 movie wizard modes and finish with a score of 800k?????
edit sorry read that wrong. you only finished the mulitballs not any of the modes or wizard modes. You have a LONG way to go lol.

I thought the same thing at first too.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I had my best game today and completed all Multiballs but still didn’t reach wizard mode how many movie chapters do u have to finish ? And do they need to be 100% to get wizard mode ?

Yeah, each movie has 5 modes which need to be played (25 modes), plus the single ball wizard mode for each movie after that (5 wizard modes) then Break The Curse would possibly be lit if you just needed to play everything. If Keith codes it as you need to complete every wizard mode and leaves the wizard modes they way they are, JJP Pirates will easily take the top spot as the toughest game ever to reach the main wizard mode. I've played through everything in a game before twice ever, but I could probably count on one hand the number of wizard modes I have actually ever completed. They are extremely difficult and unforgiving.

#15487 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I probably have to review the rules but is there like an actual end to the game like I’ve heard there is for Jurassic park ?

Not as of yet. If you play all the modes and wizard modes, you just can't start any more modes. You can just play more movie multiballs from then on at that point. The final wizard mode Break The Curse isn't in the game yet, so who knows how that will end up playing out.

Also, I did notice one thing about holding the skull bonus that was brought up awhile ago. You do need to shoot the depths or get an award to hold a skull bonus from ball to ball as it doesn't hold automatically if you max it out at 10,000. That said, once you play the wizard mode for that movie, it does hold the skull value over for the rest of the game for that shot. So it's not just important to get a high skull value for the wizard mode, but also to lock in that high value on that shot for the rest of your game.

#15491 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No, final wizard mode is still in the creative imagination of Keith but for me anyway, that means he aims to make it truly special and unique which I am more then willing to wait for. This game isn't going anywhere so I have no rush to finish it.

1 week later
#15513 3 years ago

So close...just Cotton left to get all my characters scores over 5 million and once I get it, I am done. I am not going for 6 million per character. It was fun to try this first with all 4 mil then all 5 mil, but I want to get back to playing some of the other characters and really trying to blow up their scores with their better advantages. Maybe the code update will drop and then it will really open up the game again?

IMG_20200901_202120 (resized).jpgIMG_20200901_202120 (resized).jpg
#15517 3 years ago

It's interesting that your highest score is with Marty and Weatherby Swann is so high (3rd) too.

I know. There wasn't any specific strategy there at all either, I was just playing with characters that had the lowest scores at the time. Weatherby was especially interesting in that his big perk is not being able to be plundered which was worthless since I was playing a single player game. Marty at least has some perks that are beneficial. I had a 3.5 million At World's End wizard mode on that game which helped a lot too. Setting up wizard modes is really the key to high scores. I had a Tia Dalma game where I ended up with 4.7 mil and this was before I broke 5 mil with her. I played Dead Man's Chest and On Stranger Tides wizard modes in that game. Grand total for BOTH wizard modes...13.5k...total. It was pathetic and I hit some shots too and had my skull values up. Without a lot of souls or a playfield MB, wizard modes are many times not even worth playing and it can be so difficult to set them up well.

Cotton is just a boat anchor of a character. The more gently rocking Pearl perk is almost worthless and Black Pearl MB perks are nice, but that MB is so hard to score SJPs in, it doesn't have as much impact as others. It just seems so hard to score big without any other perk help. I will play him and just kill it, then look up and see only 2 million for a final score where if I was playing with anyone else, the score would probably be 3x that for the same exact game.

#15527 3 years ago

Wow they didn't change Cotton at all? So he's still going to suck and will easily be the worst character with the updated code as it sits.

1 week later
#15579 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

Thank you for the suggestion! I focused on Norrington (as I have tried Tia Dalma for that purpose many times with no success) and got to a wizard mode (#4 - Battle For the Fountain of Youth from On Stranger Tides) on my first try. I didn't get too far thereafter, but it's a start.
Now my question is how to figure out what to do in that multi ball. It is impossible to look at the screen very well during the multi ball, so I'd like to be prepared. The rule sheet on tilt forums has good rules for wizard modes 1 and 2 (Cursed Treasure of Cortes, which I've played once before and was great, and Battle the Kraken, which I've never played), but the rules are incomplete for wizard modes 3, 4, and 5. Does anyone know where there are more complete rules available?
Thanks

I wish there was more rule explanation as well. There can be a lot to the wizard modes and I don't think it's explained at all. The worst offender being dead men tell no tales. There should definitely be more fanfare to completing one of the wizard modes too. They are not easy to complete so some kind of visual send-off would be nice that matches that accomplishment.

With at world's end you're trying to rock the ship over and the shots alternate red and blue on either side. The red shots penalize you, the more blue shots you make the more time you have and enough of them increases a meter which turns the ship over and completes the mode.

With on stranger tides you first have to shoot the major shots that are lit then it goes into the next level where you have to find the mermaid. There's multiple multiple levels to it (I think 5) with different individual targets being lit. For instance a single gold stand-up target or the spot character target both which can be crazy difficult to hit when you're going for that single target. It's extremely difficult to get through.

Deadman tell no tales is just hard to figure out. I've shot a single shot before and had the mode immediately end and then other times I've got way into it and basically still gotten no points. It seems like you have to shoot certain shots that are identified by the compass and shooting the wrong one or ones can just end the mode.

2 weeks later
#15639 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Aztec gold is not the same gold you collect during game. Stat at end of game i think is how much total gold you collect in a game (via action button). It also may be how much gold you spend starting tortuga multiball. It’s one or the other but I believe it’s the first one

There are two different lists. One is biggest spender and one is gold collector. Biggest spender is how much gold you accumulated for a single Tortuga. Just because Tortuga is lit, doesn't mean you have to collect it. You can keep building up gold for high values before collecting. I had Tortuga lit in a recent game and actually beat Davy Jones for 145 more gold before starting it, so I started that Tortuga with 290 gold. Gold collector is how much gold you collected throughout the entire game overall.

#15641 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Does liars dice cheat? Someone posted before but I swear he gets an unnatural amount of doubles, triples and more.

That was me!

If you ask me he does. My winning percentage at it is terrible. It almost always seems like the computer has at least 3, but usually 4 of a kind in his hand so I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Part of me thinks that how well you are doing in the game at that point may increase or decrease difficulty as well, but I have no proof of that. I'm on a roll though. I think I actually won my last two Liar's Dice so my winning percentage is probably UP to 25% now.

1 week later
#15662 3 years ago

Finally!

I have been playing Cotton exclusively to try to get him above 5 million since he was the only character left to reach that benchmark. I was so sick and tired of playing with him because he sucks so badly and honestly isn't much fun to use. I came close before, I had a game awhile back where I was destroying it, but the game decided to teach me a lesson with a couple of basically plunge - instadrains, so I ended up short at around 3.7 mil. Finally tonight, I doubled down and said I've got to knock this one out. Took several games, but finally, Cotton is in the 5 mil club. I had to basically beat On Stranger Tides wizard mode to do it. I was on level 5 of it and had filled the cup, then apparently you still need to shoot the orbit again after that to drink it...ugh. Cool graphics and effects when you get the cup filled though. Even with 5x running for several of those shots and almost completing that wizard mode, I still only got 527k on the mode...but I used that to squeak it out. I am not going to try for 6 mil across the board and I am NOT going to be playing Cotton again anytime soon. Now I'm set too just in case we all get lucky and the JJPPOTC code update is announced tomorrow along with GNR.

PXL_20201005_011120411 (resized).jpgPXL_20201005_011120411 (resized).jpg
#15671 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow is all I can say. I spent an hour with Pirates today, such an Amazing game still never gets old but my scores aren't Half what your pulling down. Looks like I need a Lot more practice lol.

You can get there. I love the game and I play it a lot, it's definitely my go to game at home. I watched a lot of videos on it and try to do certain things with the different characters to get high scores while playing for completion too. Once you get into certain habits, avoid sucker shots and find strategies and characters that work for you, you'll get there. Honestly to get the really big scores 8 mil+, you have to have a big wizard mode involved, there just isn't any way around that really. So if you lose that big skull value or fail on the wizard mode, no matter how well you play, you aren't going to get monster scores. I'd love to say I can do that all the time, but I can't. Even if you know how to set it up and can set it up, luck still plays a big part.

#15679 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Hard to say if it's brand new? I would expect the head to be wrapped in plastic if it were ready to box up. Also, seems like if JJP were to make another run they would change up the side art or the powder coating colors? And what's up with all those microwave ovens?
[quoted image]

Microwaves are for the workers. Stern has a giant wall of them too and they actually have to stagger lunch times and start pre-heating workers lunches so everyone can eat. It's crazy. Looks like a single pin and that POTC is probably a break area test game they haven't set up in the new location yet. That's what those playable GNR pins are. They wouldn't be keeping pins ready to ship out by the lunch tables and microwaves.

1 week later
#15734 3 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Awesome game tonght. 2 wizard modes started, hit the third one but the light went out before I hit it.. apparently they are timed?

Once you light a wizard mode, it stays lit. If you start a chapter though or another MB while it is lit, it turns off until that mode/MB is over. You can only start a wizard mode when nothing else is running.

#15736 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So has anybody .. like EVER ... gotten a pirate hat/patch? It has not happened even ONE time on my game. Just checked. Literally not once. Is this not a real feature?

I've gotten a few. I don't know how or why I got them, but I have.

2 months later
#16166 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Got the open and close Chest mod for Christmas. How easy is that to install?

Install? Easy. Getting it to work correctly? Damn near impossible for me. Had mine for almost a year now and I still can't get it to work correctly. I think I bought right at the tail end of the original version that was being upgraded so maybe newer versions are easier? My rod seems too big (a common problem for me ) so there is too much slack it seems no matter where I line it up. The mod is amazing and one of these days I am just going to have to start on in it again and not stop until it works because I am sick of playing the game with the chest closed.

1 week later
#16198 3 years ago
Quoted from bbble:

Does anyone have the DHS Dauntless Art of Pinball Mod they are willing to sell, please pm me.

It's probably going to cost you if you can find one. It is a fantastic mod, but I still can't believe this one sold for $1800 plus $50 shipping!?!?!

ebay.com link: Jersey Jack Pinball Pirates of the Caribbean HMS Dauntless Mod by Art Of Pinball

1 week later
#16232 3 years ago

Anyone know where I think it was "Ship Target Switch" #48 is on the playfield? I got a stuck switch message today from that one. Game seemed to play fine though, so I may have cleared it.

#16234 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Has it been a while since you sank the Dauntless?

I didn't think that long, but I guess it could have been. My kids had been playing some games with their friends and I don't think I have seen them ever do it, so that could have been. I know I sunk it a few times in the game I played today, so hopefully all good.

1 week later
#16286 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I disagree with that statement.
The green one with the Kraken tentacles and the loops to raise the gunpowder net is exciting!
The yellow one where you're traveling around and collecting gold (with amazing sound rewards) is exciting!
I haven't played the others yet.

I would disagree with that statement too. I've played them all before and I've played them all in one game. If I had any complaints about the mini wizard modes it would be that there should be more fanfare / information on what to do when you get there. They all should have a default point award for just reaching them because it's a big deal and not easy. They are exciting. The least exciting to me is Dead Men Tell No Tales and that is mainly because it is hard to figure out what to do. Honestly, if that was his first time playing them, I don't even know how he understood what to do and in that case, they would be less exciting. Trying to beat that Kraken with the tentacles slowly climbing the ship and tearing it apart...awesome. Collecting gold at all the shots and hearing the gold pour all over the table, especially with a big spinner rip...sweet. Hitting blue shots and avoiding red to rock the boat and make it tip over...very cool. Going 5 levels deep to find the mermaid and drink from the chalices...super difficult. The timer and the chapter points are what adds a lot of excitement to it too, because just doing what you need to do is hard enough. Putting a clock behind it makes it extremely difficult and even more of an adrenaline rush. And having a skull value for big points adds even more. It's not a big deal to be getting 1,000 points a shot, but 10,000 with potential multipliers and combos...that's a rush. All 1 ball modes, all done and your ball is over if you drain so you have to do it fast because of the timer and hit the right shots, but you can't make a mistake. So much risk vs. reward.

#16296 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Think you hit the keys. The way I understand it (all a guess as I suck at PB and thus far only achieved 2 wizard modes in a game) is to actually Complete the individual movie modes not just achieve them. Like the 3 million score posted above yes they achieved the objective but my guess is the wizard mode scoring was minimal at best.

Even with high value wizard modes, it's so easy to crap out almost instantly and score basically nothing. There has been plenty of times where I am locked and loaded, ready to play a wizard mode for good value and it's brick, brick, drain for 10,000 total points. Some of the MBs are so difficult to get SJPs in too that raising the value is even more difficult. For instance, getting multiple successful canon shots during Curse of the Black Pearl MB is really tough.

#16304 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's an understatement. It's damn near impossible IMO. I've accomplished it once, and I had to sacrifice all my other balls in play to do it. Getting multiple successful shots? How the heck did you pull that off?

I've only done it a handful of times ever. Most of those were luck as it just happened to fire the canon at the right time to score the SJP.

#16306 3 years ago

I just lost in Liar's Dice by calling the computer a liar with his bid of EIGHT 2's?!?!

I was playing Davy Jones for fun so I was trying harder for Liar's Dice. I played it 4 times with a 5th lit. Won twice, lost twice. Both times I lost in Liar's Dice I was playing for an EB too, so not only did I lose and not get an EB, I lost my current ball there on the spot. In one hand I had FIVE 2's in my hand. Computer bid one 2. Bidding gets up to EIGHT 2's with a bid by the computer. I figure, I have 5, no way he has 3 more so I call him a liar. I lose, he had 3 more...couldn't believe it. I've never had the bidding get up that high ever. Crazy.

#16317 3 years ago

Walter Day is doing another set of video game / pinball nostalgia trading cards and I was lucky enough to get the honor of representing all us Pirates fans on the card for JJP POTC. It was fun and I'm sure it's the only time I'll ever find myself on a trading card for anything so I'm glad I did it.
jtjpirates (resized).jpgjtjpirates (resized).jpg

#16327 3 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

I think liars dice is all the dice. yours and theirs so entirely possible to have 8. IIRC from the film.

It is so it's definitely possible. Just highly improbable. What are the odds of someone rolling a 5 of a kind and someone else rolling another 3 of the same kind of the same number in their hand at the same time? Not to mention then betting on the fact that I have a full five of their exact same number in my hand. I would have had to bid 9 to even have a chance at winning. The most anyone could possibly bid is 10 and the odds of rolling two 5 of a kinds of the same number at the same time are staggering.

#16338 3 years ago

Had a reboot in the middle of a game, haven't had that happen in a long time. Symptom I noticed was that during a chapter lights in the lower left side of the playfield (notably the purple and red skulls) had no lights. They came back but then I think I hit DMTNT MB and the game froze and rebooted.
That brought me to my question. Sometimes DMTNT is ready but the large purple arrow doesn't light up. The lower chapter lights indicates it is ready and I can hit it and start the MB. Is this an issue that's known? Am I missing something with the gameplay?

No I think you're correct. I've noticed that as well. Often that multi-ball will be ready but the only way I know is because of the indicator for all of the different movies across the bottom and not that specific shot that should be flashing.

#16368 3 years ago

Not mine. It's like some others have said. If I got the big money for it I would just want to buy more games and I am already over capacity. Plus I would just want another JJP POTC and I know I would probably never be able to get one again for a reasonable price, so there's no point for me. I don't blame anyone for wanting to cash out as that's a lot of money, but mine's staying and I will continue to enjoy it. Then I'll enjoy it all over again when the code update finally does drop.

3 weeks later
#16516 3 years ago

I'm just posting these pictures here for harryhoudini so he could see them and I guess for anyone else if they had any insight. I had this figure and sent it to harry to mount on his spinning pop bumper mod. He made the mod for me and said he tested it in his game and that it had clearance. I tried installing it and the hands hit the playfield glass so it doesn't clear. I would try lowering the hands, but he had epoxied them in position when he made the mod for me. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I watched the installation video and I am almost sure the figure is pushed all the way down on the motor spindle. I'm hoping there is something else I am missing. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

PXL_20210304_003850325 (resized).jpgPXL_20210304_003850325 (resized).jpgPXL_20210304_003904424 (resized).jpgPXL_20210304_003904424 (resized).jpg
#16518 3 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I followed Yellobyrd's directions with mounting Davy Jones. Take a heat gun to the arms and slowly heat,bend, and repeat until you get the arms where you want them.

I'll have to try that. I "think" if I could adjust the arms slightly that it would clear the wireforms and the glass as it's mounted. Thanks!

#16540 3 years ago

There is one for sale in the marketplace here on Pinside for too much money if you’re interested.

What is the link for that one? I tried finding it and wasn't able to. I already have one, I'm just curious about price. The only other one I can remember seeing in the last few months was the CE playfield on eBay that someone wanted $4000 for.

#16544 3 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I also agree with others, $250 over normal cost of $999 isn't crazy IMHO, but the dinged corners on the playfield aren't going to help his cause even though it's just cosmetic. I personally wouldn't even sell my playfield for $1250.

#16569 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I've got a standard, and the only thing that I seem to regret not having is the 72 light starfield, is there any way to add that to my standard?

You can get the full starmap backboard mod. That's what I did. It's not interactive with the game, but it looks great. The SE version shows you the shot to compensate for not having it and very few people understand the starfield rules anyway so it isn't a big loss IMHO.

https://pinballmods.co/full-width-galaxy-starmap-backboard-plastic-jjp-potc

#16576 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

So then what are the features people like so much on the LE and CE other than not staring at Johnny Depp? Aren't there only like 200 standards?

I believe there are less than 200 SEs, close to 150. The only things you can't replicate on the SE that the LE has are the color changing GI and the interactive starfield. The color changing GI isn't a big loss to me at all since all the inserts and Black Pearl lights etc. are color changing already and like others have said, the interactive starfield is overkill and you can get a full length one for $95 for any version. I have the Devil's Triangle rock mod and the spinning pop bumper mod (with a more relevant figure) and starfield in my SE and they look great. Back when the games were NIB and you got a shaker motor, HD glass, color changing GI, head phone jack, Devil's Triangle, cheap topper and spinning pop bumper in a limited edition version for only $1,000 more...the case could certainly be made that it was well worth it. At current rates, if you are looking for a POTC and can save $5k by "only" spending $14k on an SE instead of $19k on an LE, it's a no brainer to me.

#16578 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

That's pretty much what I'm getting at, why on earth would an LE be $5k more than a standard? Or are Standards now probably going for $16-17k?

People are attached to the "Limited Edition" naming of the game. Normally limited edition means something really unique and special, in this case as others have said, it's not even as limited as the standard version. Some people just hang on that LE title typical meaning and if you haven't played the game or researched the differences much, they don't even realize they aren't missing anything gameplay wise like you would be with a SE to LE on Wonka or GNR that have bigger/major game play differences between those versions.

I don't think SEs are at the 16-17k mark. I think they are probably pushing $15k, but they trade hands so infrequently since they are the rarest version by volume, that it is hard to get a really good grasp on the market for that specific version.

#16604 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I'm just posting these pictures here for harryhoudini so he could see them and I guess for anyone else if they had any insight. I had this figure and sent it to harry to mount on his spinning pop bumper mod. He made the mod for me and said he tested it in his game and that it had clearance. I tried installing it and the hands hit the playfield glass so it doesn't clear. I would try lowering the hands, but he had epoxied them in position when he made the mod for me. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I watched the installation video and I am almost sure the figure is pushed all the way down on the motor spindle. I'm hoping there is something else I am missing. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Just wanted to follow up on this for the benefit of others for anyone else who might have this figure. I was able to heat up his arms and move them down slightly and re-expoxy. Figure fits great now and works like a charm.

PXL_20210304_003850325 (resized).jpgPXL_20210304_003850325 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#16640 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Is anyone else getting discouraged by all the hate being directed at this title lately? Ever since the pricing went crazy, that seems to be all that people focus on when discussing this game. It's like everyone is trying to look cool by chiming in everywhere about how much they dislike Pirates and how some other random game blows it away. It's got to the point where I don't even want to tell people I have one, whereas before I was thrilled about it.

Not discouraged in the least. A lot of the hate comes from jealously. Many of those same people that bash the game would pick one up in a heartbeat if they could get one without the huge markup they command now. It's easier to bash the game to make yourself feel better than to say you missed out and didn't get one much cheaper when you could have. I'm a proud JJP POTC owner who has always loved the game since I first played it and got in on the ground floor before it blew up. Besides, I buy games for me no one else, so I couldn't care less what others think. Case in point, I've always had a soft spot for Wrestlemania and I have actually bought two of them now. Most others don't like it, doesn't bother me. I have fun with it and it is very challenging so it keeps me interested.

2 months later
#16870 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes, just the shot X would be 25. It's crazy what that can do. Doesn't even have to be a jackpot or super jackpot. Just a good spinner rip can be worth several hundred thousand! Better yet, a good spinner rip during your 2nd Arrrr Frenzy!

I believe that in that scenario only the first points awarded in that spinner rip would be at 25x since the shot x is a one time deal while 5x playfield is timed. The rest of the spinner rip at 5x spinner always feels good too though and can definitely build some good value.

#16884 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

That looks amazing! Where did you guys purchase them from?

It's this...

Disney Pirates of Caribbean Talking Skull Room Alarm

I had one years ago. It's motion activated and actually really cool. They have them on eBay for around $50 shipped.

2 weeks later
#16931 2 years ago

The ULTIMATE Pirates of the Caribbean mod showed up today and it's even more limited than Lior's mods! Probably not quite as desired though.

They gave me a ton of these so everybody's going to be getting these for Christmas, birthdays...probably even strangers on the street that I run into.

PXL_20210625_024348858 (resized).jpgPXL_20210625_024348858 (resized).jpg
#16933 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I’m in for a CE

$10k before Christmas...and I'll even sign it for you.

2 weeks later
#16946 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Hey guys, just got an SE. It came with a spare pf. PF in the game is good and debating selling the spare separately. What are they going for now? Does JJP still have them in stock?

They aren't available to buy and they were $1000 when you could. I bought a spare playfield for my SE and I'm holding on to it, but if you wanted to sell yours, I would imagine you could get well over that currently.

3 months later
#17216 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also it does wipe out your high score table!

crying (resized).JPGcrying (resized).JPG
#17239 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am referring to the Movie mini wizard modes in POTC. Those have very high requirements to defeat and there is not enough time to achieve them before the mode ends. I am not a great player so i would like to see someone do this

I've played through all the mini wizard modes twice ever in POTC. If all you have to do is play through them, Break The Curse is definitely possible. Now, if you had to complete them all in a single game, forget it. I could probably count on one hand, definitely two hands, the total number of times I have beaten one of the mini wizard modes ever. They are tough, all single ball and the timer is so short, sometimes it feels like it isn't even possible to get through them.

#17241 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's what I'm saying. Which one requires a certain number of hits (800? or something crazy) to complete? That one is not possible

That's where you find the gold in Curse of the Black Pearl. I've actually completed that one before, but not often. You get good gold numbers off spinner rips, but you can't just spam a single shot as the gold runs out for that shot so it forces you to shoot other places. Love the gold dropping sound effect during it after you hit nail a spinner shot.

2 months later
#17438 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

Is "Do not betray the compass" some new code that I don't have installed yet on mine, or it just somewhere I haven't gotten to yet?

That's the wizard mode for the Dead Men Tell No Tales movie. I get everything else, but that is the one wizard mode that still has me confused. I've played it a bunch, but it is definitely the wizard mode that I see the least of. In it, you hit the wrong shot and that mode can end instantly. Still not really sure what / how to do that mode. I wish the wizard mode starts had a little more intro / goals / fanfare to help you along.

2 months later
#17584 2 years ago

I LOVE JJPPOTC and I have an SE, so no topper at all currently, but I honestly don't get the hype with this topper. It has blue strips of bacon that teeter totter up and down, a static all black ship, static tentacles with two that move generically and a screen that shows waves on a loop...for $2500? Why are people tripping over themselves to pay that kind of money for this? Is it FOMO? Am I missing something?

2 months later
1 week later
#17757 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

Is the opening treasure chest mod an easy add on?

Not for me. I love it, but I have an early model right before he switched shaft lengths I believe and I have never been able to get it to work correctly. I kind of gave up on it and haven't tried getting it to work right for some time now as I wanted to just play the game, so my chest is just always closed. I will get back to it and try again someday as I love the mod and it definitely replaces a function that should have been there from the beginning, but dialing it in after the install has been incredibly frustrating for me.

4 months later
#17972 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

Hmmm….looks exactly like the Elite Pinball Topper’s LCD, including the same looping rough seas video…..w/ a different foreground.
https://elitepinballtoppers.com/products-usa/ols/products/elite-pinball-topper-100-units-worldwide
P.S. I own #23

I think it looks better than Elite's topper and it's half the price. Unfortunately it's still too rich for my blood.

2 months later
#18216 1 year ago

If I only had some Radcals for $500

They had them forever in their online store for $300. I have a NOS set of the regular art for Pirates, but I had never seen Radcals before, so I didn't buy a set. Really kicking myself for that now after seeing them on my TS4CE.

2 weeks later
#18257 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm still around. I love this game and I still go back and play it as much as I play my newest games. To answer your question about the cliffy for the depths kickout, I did get a cliffy set, but that piece was one of two that I did not install. I have put well over 2000 plays on mine and there's no hint of wear there yet. The only place I had wear starting before I installed the cliffy set was the MAP hole on the right edge. YMMV

Love mine still too. Don't see it ever leaving. I have the Cliffy on the Depths and I have only seen minimal movement on it ever. When I clean the game I make it a point to push it back if need be. It's been awhile but I thought I remember that protector having a screw hole to secure it in place on the bottom of the playfield.

9 months later
#18669 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballM:

so you have finished the 5 mini wizard modes for each movie ?
just got this game, haven't played much yet
i really like the final wizard mode on Toy story
I agree that every game should be fully programmed with access to the final mode.
as a programmer, I'd feel that the game was unfinished and that my work wasn't finished.

I've played all 5 mini wizard modes twice. Key word here is "played". Assuming you just have to play them all to light the eventual Break The Curse wizard mode, it definitely is possible although not easy by any means. Now say you have to complete all the mini wizard modes to light it...then forget it. You have better odds of getting hit by lightning twice while cashing in a Mega Millions Jackpot winning lottery ticket. As it sits now, after you play them all you just keep playing the game but can't start any more modes.

#18672 4 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I've never gotten close, but was standing next to a friend that got 66666 and that was awesome. Just to clarify, do you mean, after you complete all the mini wizard modes, you can't start any more modes?

Right. They are locked out since they are all done. You can still play movie multiballs though.

1 month later
#18730 79 days ago

I am part embarrassed and part beyond thrilled to say that after honestly years of owning the chest opening mod and never being able to get it to work that tonight, I finally got it working. I owe my renewed interest in it to my Secret Santa who gave me the dauntless dress up kit and the the light up back glass mod for presents. After installing those I just told myself I have to get this to work to finally make it complete. The mod is so so good.

PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg

#18738 73 days ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

I had the chest mod installed on my original Pirates, it was a complete pain in the ass to install. Now that I'm back in the club, I have the chest mod that came with the deal, but it's not installed. Question is, should I do the install or leave it???
I've actually been enjoying not having the lid closed so I can constantly see how many balls are locked.....Or, maybe I'm just convincing myself not to install the pain in the ass chest mod no matter how cool it really is. ***sigh***

As a man who put it off for years, I would say do it. I was an early adopter of the mod, so my version of the mod was different than the install videos which made it even more difficult to install. Now that it is done, it is so worth it. It's obviously something that should have been there anyway. Dedicate a night (hopefully) and get it done. Lift the playfield vertically, use your hand to hold the lid closed and then trigger the switch under the playfield to test the positions for opening and closing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=LesManley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.