(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crile1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 5 years ago

Very cool, @pinball. If you ever want someone to play some games with, I'll bring the food.

1 week later
#168 5 years ago

I agree romulusx . Give it a rest Skyemont .

2 months later
#1137 5 years ago

Had a blast playing this with my son at Game Galaxy in Smyrna,TN.

20181123_135756 (resized).jpg20181123_135756 (resized).jpg20181123_143654 (resized).jpg20181123_143654 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2313 5 years ago

Can't believe I opened this up for Christmas! Also, would like to add that it has been playing flawlessly since opening the box. No issues at all. Now I need to start watching those tutorials.

#2337 5 years ago

A couple of questions regarding mylar on this game:

1) do I need to wax then place the mylar down? This will be the first time I have applied mylar to a nib playfield with clearcoat. My past experience has been with non-cleaercoated older games where you wax first so can remove mylar later without damage to the paint.

2) for a HUO machine, do I need to add the included mylar? I know this is super subjective and some folks never do and some plaster it all over. I just found it interesting that they included DIY mylar instead of just doing it at the factory like they did around the pops, etc. Didn't know if was included only for those games going on location or for everyone.

#2363 5 years ago

How do you get it to display the pictures it takes. At a location the game would scroll through the high scores with the pirate photos. Mine does not do this. Can't seem to find it in the settings.

#2382 5 years ago

Figured out the wanted posters issue from a previous post. Just takes a long time to scroll through with the flippers to get to them. I would like to see them come up more often/quicker. Also, would like to have an easier way to random select a character other than the flipper code.

That said, this game is fun! I finally made it to a movie mini wizard mode last night for the first time on my last ball. You really have to think and plan out a strategy to get to these. I like that you can play this game just for the fun shots, mechs, and multiballs or choose to play towards completing chapters and getting to the movie wizard modes. I can't imagine ever seeing the final wizard...it is a long journey to get there.

#2406 5 years ago

Anyone else getting black screen on the bonuses?

#2407 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I think I found a possible bug? If I disable codex tips, my bonus screens will often be black with just the bonus points shown. If I enable codex tips again, the bonus screen will always have an image/video clip in the background. Anyone else seen this behavior?

Ahhh...yes, this be the bug! ARGHH!

#2447 5 years ago

This is my only hang up with this game...literally.

20181228_195532 (resized).jpg20181228_195532 (resized).jpg
#2451 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On recent games JJP added one of those clear rubber nipple stick on things same as the top of the Tortuga scoop and the issue is solved. Hope this makes sense.

The nipple is there. Maybe I need to stimulate it more. In all seriousness, it should be longer. I noticed the nipple/soft plastic cover right after. I took the picture.

#2481 5 years ago

My left ship flipper does not consistently fire all the way. Sometimes full and sometimes half. The flipper switch at the button is good. I've messed with the EOS switch and that seems fine. So to questions: what could be the issue and how do I remove the ship from the playfield to fix it?

#2490 5 years ago

Looks like it was a combination of EOS and coil power. An adjustment of the switch and bumping power up 2 notches did the trick.

#2509 5 years ago

Now that I have this game dialed in, it is a dream to shoot! Unfortunately, I am now to the point where I am trying to progress towards the wizard modes instead of just having fun with the muliballs. Man, this game can be brutal. I will have an amazing game followed by 10 horrible ones. Amazing how fast this game can turn on you!

#2517 5 years ago

Ok, side mirrors: who to get from (pinballsidemirrors.com?) and what type? B/W, JJP Hobbit/WOZ, or JJP Dialed In?

#2526 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

check my posts in this thread as I installed mine from the same website and they worked perfectly fine. JJP Hobbit WOZ
I also second Modcouple making premade DJ to sell. Just not my type of thing.

Thanks! I'm not into custom shooter rods, but yours looks awesome. May have to think on that one.

#2528 5 years ago

@Yelobird, Delt31 got his from pinballsidemirrors.com and ordered the JJP Hobbit/WOZ type. The do offer the black that you are looking for. I've ordered from them before but found the process frustrating. I had one set not arrive. USPS reimbursed me and I had to ordered another set. Guess I will give them another go.

#2545 5 years ago

I cannot lock a ball in the chest on the fly. I have to cradle and hit dead on. Even then it doesn't make it up about 40 to 50 percent of the time. The fork works. I've already cranked the right flipper up three past standard. Should I keep increasing flipper power or is there something else I should check. It is level at 6.5 degrees.

#2548 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

When you say the fork works, have you removed it and tightened the 2 screws inside the mech? Mine was very iffy as you describe, requiring full power and direct hit. It is substantially improved after tightening.

Oh boy...what two screws?

#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

These 2 screws.

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply! They were loose. Wasn't tough to fix. Putter her back together now. Will update.

#2551 5 years ago

Woohoo! Fork ramp shoots like butter! Thanks for the help, mates. Just needed to tighten those screws!

#2666 5 years ago

Put mirrors in...boy they are a tight fit!

15467160376894270401351539681708 (resized).jpg15467160376894270401351539681708 (resized).jpg
#2671 5 years ago

For me was mostly adjusting switches. A LOT of switches on this game because a lot of toys.

I still can't figure out when it takes the picture at the end. I guess it depends on lighting. If room is dark, then usually when hit END...but if well lit seems like when I am entering my letters.

#2714 5 years ago

Just walked into the house to find my son playing Pirates. He got ARGH Frenzy for the first time and had the biggest grin on his face!
This is what it's all about for me. Thanks JJP crew...mission accomplished.

#2834 5 years ago

This just started happening. My trough VUK launches a ball and bounces into this little recess. So the auto plunger does not register. In a multiball the balls stack in the lane because the auto plunge doesn't fire. And re-checked to make sure game is level.

20190111_212605 (resized).jpg20190111_212605 (resized).jpg

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I definitely want to add mirror blades.

I would pass on the mirrors. I put them in mine and they as re super tight. They scrarch anytime I have to lift the playfield. So, if you do add them, wait a month so you can do any dialing in or modding that needs to be done first.

1 week later
#3063 5 years ago

Can pirates be connected to pinnovators 4 in 1 subwoofer mixer? I tried a 3.5mm y split but when plugged in I get nothing on the sub.

#3068 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

I believe your problem probably is the line level on the POTC. It is really low. I had to add a pre-amp to it to get the external to work well.

If I tap off the cabinet subwoofer directly, would I still need a preamp or is that signal strong enough since it is directly to the sub?

#3076 5 years ago

Thanks guys! Just found out that Pinnovators makes a "universal" tap off the cabinet sub that works with their mixer. You can order as Posi Tap connector or connector that goes to the extra lugs. I'm going to give that a try. Will report back.

#3083 5 years ago

For me, I'm using the Pinnovators 4 in 1 mixer to hook 4 games that can run simultaneously off of one sub. Last night my son and I played Hobbit and WOZ and sub was able to mix them so that each of us could hear our own games. Worked really well. Of course, Hobbit is the king when it comes to how great the sub works. Smaug shakes the room when he talks now...and we love it...well, maybe not my wife...but the kids and I do!

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

One sub powers four games accurately? I guess I'm just I'll school as I go 1 sub per game alligator clips ftw

Them subs ain't cheap! Lol

#3112 5 years ago

Finally pulled mybmirror blades off my game. They are pretty scratch up. Just too tight. Luckily you can never tell they were there since screw holes are below the playfield.

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So, if your topper is off center...take it from me, just live with it. Don’t try to fix it.
It looked like two easy screws on either end so I attempted it tonight.
There is a threaded rod apparently built into the bracket in the center which screws into the backbox somehow. I couldn’t feel any nut inside the backbox so it’s probably some kind of socket in the wood. Definitely not a simple fix.
I gave up and reassembled.
I need to replace the black plastic plugs now but otherwise no worse for the experience.

You could just pull the screws and use velcro strips. That's how my laserrific topper attaches.

#3126 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

I have a question for you POTC owners. This may be the worst place to ask this, or possibly the best . I have room for one pin in my house, and I current have a Monster Bash LE on order. I went and played one yesterday, and while it's fun and campy and of course the game is beautiful, I just worry I will get bored quickly of it. I also played a Hobbit black arrow, and (the reason I'm posting here) a POTC. I really loved both the Hobbit and Pirates, and I am leaning towards switching my order to one of these games. Any thoughts/arguments either for or against? In general I love how many modes there are on pirates, and how deep the game seems to be. But my wife is more about bashing the ball around and doesn't pay attention to any of the rules. Still - the machine is mostly for me. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks!

I have both Hobbit and JJPOTC. My wife and kids (12 and 13) love them both. I bought Hobbit NIB and was lucky enough to be surprised to open a JJPOTC Christmas morning. I really enjoy MB but found myself getting bored and even ignoring it at shows now. Hobbit is cinematic immersive bliss. It is a journey. Smaug multiball is easy to achieve and has a very satisfying intro. My wife and kids and guests love it. Music, callouts, and clips are integrated second to none. Killing Smaug is still my favorite pinball "moment" ever. My son and I were afraid Pirates would suffer from lack of clips and actor callouts and overall lack of the cinematic immersion. That's why we passed on it...but then got the Christmas surprise. You can't judge Pirates based on Hobbit. Where Hobbit has breadth (33 modes) Pirates has depth (layers). When playing with the kids I go for score. When by myself I try to get to the wizard modes (there are 5 of them). There are scoring options that you can dive into as well. So many ways to play this game and I am just starting to scratch the surface. There are 6 multiballs which can be stacked and I use them to help get through modes. There are hurry ups, bonus multipliers, an awesome aargh frenzy, and a video mode (liars dice). The lights and music are standard for JJP which means they are the best in the business. The callouts are just fantastic. They picked the perfect voice actor (first mate, Mr. Gibbs from the movies). Bottom line is both are fantastic games. Hobbit is a bit more polished because it's been out longer, but that just means that Pirates has polish coming. Hobbit is about playing unique modes. Pirates wins on unique shots and toys. You can't go wrong with either. I will preface that after owning Hobbit, I now love those movies and with that kind of immersive experience, I give Hobbit the edge(barely). But Pirates is more fun to play with my family because plundering is truly awesome. Nothing like your kids stealing your gold...or vice versa. Good luck with your decision.

#3128 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

So many postings under this thread, so this may be a repeat. To you owners, what do you think of the impact of the spinning disc on gameplay? Like many I was pretty critical of the change from the original design, but I do love the JJP pins and am curious how the disc affects gameplay and how often is it activated, etc.

It adds a layer of randomness to the game. It sure puts some crazy spin on the ball. And every so often will piss you off by stopping the ball and then sending it straight down. As they say in the movie and the game, "Everybody's thinking it, I'm just saying it. Pirates!"

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. Very helpful!

No problem. Just want to say that both games are fantastic and will not be leaving. JJP games shine in the home environment because they have so much to discover. If you end up getting Pirates, don't forget to add this little guy. The first mod my wife actually demanded I get.

15485276457724318824389326057686 (resized).jpg15485276457724318824389326057686 (resized).jpg
#3135 5 years ago

As far as bashing, I have found those "x" targets can be punishing. Unless they are lit, I do my best to avoid them.

#3165 5 years ago

So pissed right now. Bought Tilt graphics "Kraken" art blades. They looked beautiful. One side done, then moved to next side. Then lowered playfield and RIP! Both sides tore. This cabinet is so damn tight there is no room. Mirrors=scratched. Art blades=torn. Screw you JJP! I will get over it...but pissed at the moment. My advice...leave the sides alone.

15487301655936371619704333853604 (resized).jpg15487301655936371619704333853604 (resized).jpg20190128_214432 (resized).jpg20190128_214432 (resized).jpg
#3167 5 years ago

Mirrors on Hobbit have never had a problem and WOZ art blades want in with plenty of room. It may just be my cabinet...but proceed with caution.

#3170 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I started bending those metal playfield slider/bracket things inward slightly with a crescent wrench to keep them farther away from the cabinet sides.

That was probably what was tearing mine.

#3195 5 years ago

Last night I bent the hinges and roughly cut and taped the tears on the art blades to see if it worked. If it did, then I would get a new set. Turns out it was not my problem. The playfield is literally that tight to the cabinet on my game. There is no way the side protectors would work since the width of 2 art blades is too much for my cabinet. 1 art blade can go in, but not two. It's a shame since I do like art or mirrors. At least I didn't do any damage. FYI, if you do bend those things be careful, they bend easy.

#3300 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Well, got mine in and they are perfect. Does not rub the sides at all. But, I also have the Pinstadium magnets in there. They get scraped first and actually save the side art. I love the graphics. Exactly what I was looking for. Hard to get a good shot of them.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They look great. Guess my cabinet is tighter for some reason. I tried twice (repaired them and tried again). Oh well. Glad it is just mine.

#3336 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

You're not alone. I have held off on the blades because I didn't have my pin yet and wanted to see the gap. I already have a pinstadium set too. It doesn't look like I have any hope as it's rubbing the sides now.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I figured out my problem was the playfield plastics on the right were mounted so the edge hangs off the playfield by about 3mm. In your first picture I see the same thing. It was a royal POA to loosen all the screw and nuts, but it will slide once you do. Not sure if I will remake the investment in blades, but that is the fix if you want to try.

#3348 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

You guys are awesome. I appreciate your input. Thank you

I also had bad luck with mirrors AND side art. They don't take that long to ship...so wait and see what your cabinet looks like as far as room. I do not see a need for cliffys on this one but personal preference with your comfort level comes first. For me, it is pinball and HUO is unlikely to cause major damage. Check out Mod couple's stuff. I would recommend the Dead men tell no tales sign, the pile of gold around the action button, the cannon, and the rails for the Dauntless for sure. I really like the shooter rod sign and my whole family (and friends) love Jack the Monkey. Have fun with your game.

#3349 5 years ago

In case anyone else has this issue. During my party last night, the left ship flipper would not consistently flip fully. On coil test it flipped fully every time. EOS switch looked good and the bat was tight. Turned out that increasing power to 24 (default is 19 I think) fixed it. Not sure if it was just my game or that all my games were running and maybe were getting slightly less power. But, there you go community in case someone else experiences this.

#3351 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks so much for the kind feedback. If you have time, could you post a picture of the pinstadium lights results here or in the PS thread. Considering it just not sure if I should make the leap. Thanks!!

Must be someone else, no Pinstadiums on mine.

#3421 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I can finally post my JJPOTC pin addition photo. I finally got around to installing the topper. Still some tweaking to do to get it right, but loving it! It's now on "the JJP side of the room".
[quoted image]

You need to get the Hobbit Topper. My wife got it for my birthday because she said it looked lonely without it.

20190109_211022 (resized).jpg20190109_211022 (resized).jpg
#3537 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Isn't there a flipper code to randomly select a character. I think it's hit one flipper quickly 5 times or something like that?

I heard this too. Can someone confirm and let us know exactly what it is?

#3557 5 years ago

FYI: for random character hold left flipper and flip right 5 times quickly

#3620 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Tech question.
On the Pearl, the left flipper does not raise like the right flipper does. Is this normal behaviour, or not. Do I need to get the pearl removed to resolve this?
It was good untill this weekend I suppose. I changed the pitch of the pearl a bit to the right to resolve the mech touching the wood in the back but making the cannon shot became way more difficult. Then I noticed.
Thanks!
[quoted image]
Left down, right up
[quoted image]
Left up
[quoted image]
Left up, right down

I had to increase the coil strength of my left flipper by about 4 or 6 more than default to get it to work like the right. You may want to try that. Go to settings, coil strength.

#3624 5 years ago

PinPeet , is the left flipper going up at all? Mine had intermittent power. I would flip it multiple times and sometimes it would flip full and sometimes not all the way. I agree that adjusting coil strength may not be the best first move. However, I would go to test mode, then individual coil test, then test the left upper playfield flipper. If it flips fine under coil test, then I would adjust the power. If it still does not flip, then I think you need to adjust flipper bat placement. That is how I diagnosed my problem.

#3636 5 years ago

In regards to Liar's dice. you can hit the action button to change what your lane award is. When I don't feel like playing it, or if there is something else I need or would rather have, I change it. Roll over all lanes and hit the Pirate award switch next to the right chest lock target. Bing! there you go.

#3682 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve seen the left post reject shots too. I think it’s intentional in certain modes?

I've been noticing this too. Is this a bug?

#3756 5 years ago

Did my Depths fix and my Tortuga guide fix last night. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted how-to and especially pictures on these fixes. Made it a heck of a lot easier. So, thank you to my fellow Buccaneers! Yaaarrgghh!

#3773 5 years ago

In the past, JJP has had one major production line and one smaller line. So, in order to do 1 or maybe even 2 games this year (+/- another WOZ run), Pirates has to come off the line. I imagine WOZ re-run will be on the minor line with whatever new title will be on the main line. After WOZ, maybe another Pirates on the minor? Guess they will wait and see if there is demand.

#3833 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

Question. Is there a way to make the tortuga spot kick out the ball harder? I seem to get a lot of straight down the middle no chance to stop it ball ejections from there (surprisingly my wife noticed this first while playing) It is my only annoyance, even if it is a minor one, in the game.

I tightened my screws on the kickout guide (mine were loose) and that thing fires out FAST now. It shoots straight to the middle of the left flipper on factory settings every time now.

#3837 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

On top. It requires loosening the Tortuga Tom pop. Instructions earlier in the thread.
I found it got loose again so I used loctite and it has been solid and consistent since.
I have not modified the power of the vuk. Only the guide to aim it to the center of the left flipper.

What he said...although I did not use locktite. However, if I have to go through that again, I will. BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE LITTLE SPACERS UNDER THE TOM MOTOR. Took me forever to fish it out from under the plastic in the back.

#3887 5 years ago

I own all JJP's except for DI and the only thing I can say that POTC is lacking in comparison is a big "moment". WOZ has Melting the Witch and Hobbit has killing Smaug (and let's face it, every Wizard mode has one at it's intro). But POTC has the best shots of the three by far and has that JJP over the top mech thing going for it. I don't think we will see anything major added to this game as coding is probably done for the foreseeable future except for polish. But, you never know. WOZ got lots of later updates as did Hobbit and DI, so I would never count out JJP's coding department...which is the best or at least on par with the best. JJPOTC is just a great, balanced game. The one thing that the lack of assets did for the game is it did make it faster. With no reason to stop the ball and look at the screen to watch a scene, it means the ball keeps moving. And maybe that is where it's magic lies. Anyhow...just my thoughts. My only gripe after owning for almost 3 months is that I can't seem to beat any of the wizard modes....ARRGH! Gosh I want to get further into the fountain of youth wizard to see what happens next. Until then..."select your character!"

#3892 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

That was my thought too. Have we even seen the final “break the curse” wizard mode completed yet?

Do you think you will ever get to break the curse...I don't. I have yet to be able to get to more than 1 wizard mode on 3 ball.

#3960 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Help with left upper black pearl flipper not working after a couple dozen games on a NIB.

Check it in coil test from menu.

#4188 5 years ago

BIG shoutout to Tiltgraphics for amazing customer service. Gave me a second chance at putting on the fantastic pin blades. Also thanks to Pinball Life for the side art protectors.

20190220_185651 (resized).jpg20190220_185651 (resized).jpg20190220_185658 (resized).jpg20190220_185658 (resized).jpg20190220_185707 (resized).jpg20190220_185707 (resized).jpg
#4199 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Those blades look awesome! I just bought a Pirates, and getting it delivered tomorrow! Can’t wait. Keeping an eye out and see so many cool mods.
Have you or anyone here seen where we can get this one from? It’s so much better from just having the pirate on the pop bumper![quoted image]

That pop bumber mod was done using the action figure cut in half. You have to obtain one and donit yourself. Yelobird posted how to do this earlier. It is cool, but I'm staying with Tortuga Tom for now.

#4235 5 years ago

Watch out little doggy, that Kraken's gonna get you!

15507839638266837460244449482163 (resized).jpg15507839638266837460244449482163 (resized).jpg
#4239 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Man, I am thrilled about that side art. The entire process of working with them to design, and the awesome suggestion by @kingbw made these blades look so good!
It's a shame I haven't had a hand to get them installed. Last time I tried to install them, on a different machine, alone I screwed them up bigtime. Uggggg.

Use the wet method. Takes all the pressure off.

#4240 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Is the side art available? I would like to see more pic of it. I'm undecided on the art and that black mirror.

Look at my posts and villathrills. Both have posted pics with tiltgraphics art. It looks fantastic.

#4286 5 years ago

Last night I played Fountain of Youth wizard. Hit all the colored shots ("killing" the people on the screen), then it was just over. Did it time out...or was there something else I was supposed to be doing? If not, it was a huge disappointment. I thought there may be stages to get through. I really didn't get that many points (even less points then previous attempts at it). I also wish there was a bit of a pause to look at the instructions on the screen before the mode starts.

#4288 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

What the heck is the wet method?

2 drops of dawn dish soap mixed in a spray bottle of water. Spray on back of decals. This allows you to move them around. When they are at the proper position, smooth them down. You are only spraying a mist, so you don't have water running all over the place. Once you smooth them down, then grab a towel and wipe the excess water around the edges. The soapy water allows them to be repositioned and slid while you work before the adhesive sets in. Google it...there are a few youtube vids about it. It is how I've done all my art blades and even our custom decals on our boat.

#4303 5 years ago

"well..does that mean cheaper monitors on POTC Standard and LE than on WOZ, DI and Hobbit? And the old original style only on the POTC CE?
Only a JJP collector would be able to check on that"

See for yourselves.
15508647366749038488768265035426 (resized).jpg15508647366749038488768265035426 (resized).jpg

#4424 5 years ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

That was exactly my issue. I adjusted it all the way up, tightened the screws on the sagging side, and then pushed down on the other side to get it to even out to tighten the other side. It took me a couple of tries.

For me, it was just making sure it was totally secure in the latch on the right side. You need to make sure it is fully set in there. The slide will go down even if the notch is not fully engaged. Hope that makes sense.

#4519 5 years ago

I re-watched them recently and found myself really enjoying #4. I'd say it is my second favorite. I just can't stand Elizabeth after the first one. Just don't buy that she could hold her own against all those pirates and monsters...she's so tiny. I really do enjoy how #5 ties everything together.

#4579 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

know this has been brought up before, but what kind of balls are you guys using?

Big ones.

#4952 5 years ago

He (Kaneda) is predisposed to not like the game. He has gone to great lengths to show he hates the license and the films. He only like Franchi art (his head is way up his...). He rants forever about the delay in production. He hated the JJP Standard, LE, CE system because it is not the same as Stern. He has made it clear he does not like Keefer's deep rules (funny, because he touts LOTR as the greatest Stern ever). No matter what, he will never love this game. Which is ridiculous given the 3 things he professes to believe:

1) pinball needs to be a world under glass, which JJPOTC is in spades

2) people should not judge too soon and should be allowed to change their minds (this only seems to apply to people whom he has offended)

3) value is in the BOM, quality, and mechs not "fun = value"

He won't admit his own failure in lack of objectivity. I will never like Iron Maiden because I just can't stand their music or their style. I would never be a fan of the game regardless of the layout or gameplay. But I can appreciate it for being unique and interesting. I can appreciate that for a lot of folks it is fun and their favorite game. Because of that, I dont feel the need to crap on the game whenever possible. That is the problem with Kaneda. He professes and talks a lot, but then does the opposite. Most recently doing a podcast titled, "LE buyers are wimps." Well, you own a Super LE, Mr. Kaneda, that makes you a super wimp. Pull the plank out of your own eye and respect people who paid their hard earned money for the best darn world under glass out there with a unique new layout and code. And to quote the next future great release, "I said, good day sir!"

#4955 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who cares what Kman thinks about a game
He is in the overwhelming minority on Potc.
It’s too complicated for him to understand

Which is amusing because the rulesheet/flow chart is far simpler than WOZ or Hobbit. I guess he is waiting for "Chutes and Ladders the Pin".

#5006 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Who is this guy? Am I missing something?

Not really.

And for on location, I've played JJPOTC at game Galaxy at Smyrna, TN and at Pincincinatti and both played perfectly. I hear that Sunshine sets their games up to be difficult (settings, posts, height, etc).

#5024 5 years ago

Does the standard have Tortuga Tom and the other spinning pop? If not, I would really reconsider. I saw a Hobbit standard once, and the regular pop bumpers, instead of the barrel pops made me cringe and be thankful that I didn't even know the standard existed when I bought my LE.

#5037 5 years ago

Ugh, bit the bullet and actually listened to Kaneda's review. Please, do not listen to this thing, it will only make you shake your head and feel dumber. My favorite quote, "I look down and say, where are the toys in this game." Closely followed by, "the disc does nothing in this game." My goodness, that disc makes the ball do the craziest thing. I've been a pretty constant listener, but I think I will have to put his podcast on hold for a while. All I have to say, Mr. Kaneda, is even before I owned one, on location my son had a blast on Pirates and figured it out after 1 game.

#5088 5 years ago

It would be nice that if they ever do another run, that they only do SE's. Would be a nice reward/appreciate for us LE folks. But based on WOZ and Hobbit history, I doubt it.

#5093 5 years ago

I'm not sure why folks are getting nervous about parts. It's not like JJP is going away. Just stopping production on Pirates (for the time being). I can still get parts for my F-14 Tomcat. Plus, with home use only care, things should be okay. My parents still have their HUO 2003 Stern Monopoly and all parts on that are good.

#5128 5 years ago

JJP actually owns the WOZ license. They don't have to renew it over and over. So they can make runs anytime they want.

#5148 5 years ago

Just get a new tip. Super easy to replace. I would actually recommend getting a Titan silicone one and pick up some red silicone flipper bands while you are at it.

1 week later
#5594 5 years ago

Just ordered a Capt Jack toy. Tortuga Tom's days are numbered.

#5602 5 years ago

Crazy to think the LE's are almost sold out. So glad I got one. This game is a blast. If it turns out to continue to be one of JJP's best, wonder if they will make another run in the future. If they had to re-up the license, any hope that they would try to get some more assets while they were at it?

#5643 5 years ago

To respond to an above post, my strategy is to always have a chapter going. I start one whenever possible and by stacking mutliballs I can get through a number of chapters before a ball ends. Tia Dalma is the best way to getting to a wizard mode for the first time. Once you've done that a few times, the next challenge, at least for me, is to play more than one wizard mode in a game. Currently Elizabeth Swan is my strategy for this as she immediately lights 3 chapters at the start of a ball. I've also realized how I can greatly improve scoring with lighting multiple skulls and really trying to complete chapters. Trying to complete chapters has also really helped my shooting in this game as well, for obvious reasons.

And in regards to Bootstrap Bill on the Spinning pop...man you guys are cruel, hasn't he suffered enough. Now you've got to torture him with an eternity of spinning...he's going to be Barfing Bill! Part of the crew...part of the ship!

#5645 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

For those looking for games. I believe (but have not personally verified) that almost all limited editions are sold out.
I currently have 1 collectors in stock and ready to ship and 3 standards waiting to be built. Pass the word that games are getting difficult to come by.

Wow! Pretty to cool to now have a truly limited JJP LE. But sad that others won't have the pleasure of shooting this game. The more I play it, the more I realize how unique all the shots are. It's like a "best of" playfield layout with the addition of a phenomenal upper playfield.

1 week later
#5946 5 years ago

That is by far, the best pirate I ever saw! And 'ole Tortuga Tom solved the non-centered topper issue for me as well.

15532079691151777910026528089009 (resized).jpg15532079691151777910026528089009 (resized).jpg15532079855518740391453255044792 (resized).jpg15532079855518740391453255044792 (resized).jpg
#5949 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks great and a dam good score too!

Hah! Thanks. Didn't even look at the screen when I took the picture. And thank you for making this game even more beautiful. Your mods fit right in. Especially the Kraken. Looks like it was part of the original design.

#5951 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I've been eyeing the kraken for a couple weeks now just ordered yesterday.

My wife loves the dog and monkey. The Kraken, Dead men tell no tales sign, cannon, and coins around action button are must haves.

#5966 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Good tip on the chest.
For the thin posts on the slingshots, consider using rubber washers below the posts.

Any idea what size washers and where to get them?

#5968 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There was an issue posted by a couple owners 3-4 months back regarding playfield chipping caused by sling posts. I take it this has been resolved? Did anyone hear if it was an issue with the post design, posts being too tight and or an issue with some playfields?

Happened to look at my sling posts last night and have some concerns. Nothing major yet, but there is some early signs of wear. I will probably put silicone washers to protect. Looks similar to the TNA issue. Maybe a result from modern day clearcoat process?

#5970 5 years ago

Build date was in December. Seeing very minor scratching on one of the right sling post bases and possible "heaping up" of paint around the lower right sling post. Signs that TNA folks saw before theirs cracked/chipped. Left sling posts look okay. I did turn down my sling coil power about 2 months ago because I was getting a lot of air balls over the flippers into the outlane or from sling shooting ball onto wireforms.

Just want to point out that this is nothing major and no damage done yet. But, I just want to do some preventative maintenance.

#5978 5 years ago

I may do star posts + washers...belt and suspenders.

#6091 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I have noticed, with potc... it is not easy to post pass with the factory posts. did you find it easier to post pass, with the addition of the star posts?

I have no trouble post passing. Do it all the time. Have factory posts and 6.5 degrees.

#6101 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Played with Tia Dalma yesterday and just focussed on one movie each game. Played three games and got to a different wiz mode each time.
I admit, when this game first came out, I was thinking choosing between all these characters was too much, but I have to say now....it's awesome.
When you plunder an opponents character, I guess you take theirs/lose yours and then they have to choose another?

Yep. My kids love taking my character.

#6144 5 years ago

I take back my concerns regarding the stock posts and clear chipping. Went to put washers under them last night (found fiber ones at Home Depot) and saw that only one had any issue. Looks like clear bunched up just to one side, probably from over tightened post at factory. No chipping or paint damage. All others look fine. Not enough for me to put star posts on. Both my WOZ and Hobbit have same posts and no chipping. My washers ended up being too small (#8 screws are used, not #6), so going to leave it stock. Obviously put star posts on if you want. But I think all the cliffy's and star posts may be overkill if it is just going to be HUO.

#6269 5 years ago

Snapping the monitor in is a bit tricky. I thought mine was defective for about a month until my son and I really fiddled with it. You really have to make sure it doesn't just "click" in, but that it seats all the way back into the groove. Hard to describe, because it is tricky, but take some time and really mess with it before you start stacking blocks.

1 week later
#7173 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

To be honest I very interested in adding this pin to my collection but it seems a bit overwhelming for this pin apprentice I'm debating between deadpool and jjpotc..
Any help appreciated. Keep in mind I did play this in location and was a bit confused what to do..

Overwhelmed by the rules or something else? As far as the rules, I watched Eric explain them to Jack Danger and then played on location and had no trouble. Pretty straight forward, but like all JJP games there is just so much you can do and pretty much in any order. WOZ really overwhelmed me on location, but I took the plunge and got one because my wife loved it. Watched a good stream and then after a few games it all clicked. I think for me, that is why I love JJP games, their depth makes for great home use.

#7342 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Anyone have anymore ideas for balls getting stuck in the depths during multiball? My game has the factory fix, and balls get stuck down there almost every single multiball. Sometimes I have to manually plunge the kicker with my finger to get the balls out.
I have tried increasing the strength, but this has no effect on the balls getting stuck.

Hate to ask the obvious, but do you have it at 6.5 degrees between the flippers glass off?

#7492 5 years ago

Met Eric at MGC. It was awesome to see his face light up when I said I was a Pirates owner. So, if you ever see him, give him a hello and compliment. It's his first game and I for one think he knocked it out of the park. Still the fastest playing JJP in my opinion. And still has the best shot with the upper flipper loop.

#7510 5 years ago

Got the 666666 multiball going along with AARGH frenzy all at the same time last night! What a rush!

2 weeks later
#8369 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I like how some chapters have like 3 characters and others have 10.
It's DEF surprising when characters fill up across the entire screen when hitting a chapter.
"Woah..."

Totally agree. The other day I had an "at world's end" chapter that lit up almost every character...the little "bling, bling, bling" sound just kept going and going and my son and I were like..."did we break something?"

3 weeks later
#9530 4 years ago

Is it just me or has the JJPOTC "escape the locker" nudge/save ruined all other machines. I now instinctively try to save my ball on other games and feel both dumb and frustrated at the same time!

#9696 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

The KIT seems to do nothing else than using alligator clips, only a bit more comfortable. It connects to the speaker cable in the cabinet. So it seems that there is no way to use direct board connection for the sub only?

The kit (if you specified JJP) should have come with quick disconnects that attach directly to the subwoofer. JJP subwoofer has two extra prongs that make this super easy. If you got the wrong connector, then ask the folks at pinnovators, they will help you out. I did this on mine and works perfect. Plus I bought their mixer and have 4 games all hooked on the same sub and can work all at the same time. Now, in all clarity, a sub on Pirates really doesn't really add that much compared to my other games, in my opinion. But I also own a Hobbit, and adding a sub on that game is a game changer.

#9729 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m still wanting to do the tortuga Tom replacement...wish someone would sell these so it’s work free!

It was no work at all when I did it. Followed instructions somewhere in this thread. Snap figure in half. Drill pilot holes in bottom of figure. Screw in figure. Nothing else to it. I gorilla glued the gun and bottle in the hands and glued the joints into position so it wouldn't move. Piece of cake and took me about 10 minutes.

#9823 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Why so much hate for Tom?

Once it was pointed out he has no eyes, I couldn't unsee it.

2 weeks later
#10776 4 years ago

After all the shiny pictures posted recently, I decided to clean my game. I will second the use of Simple Green ( I dilute it down) because there was an oily film that I removed. Cleaned and waxed it up then had my new best game yet and broke the 3 million barrier. Reached 666666...boy how I love it when that happens. Such a fun game.

4 months later
#12692 4 years ago

I'm just not a fan of Liars dice. Just not fun. I almost always change the Pirates lanes when it is lit. But odds of me completing all mini wizard modes is small. And I just cant make myself time out a mode.

2 weeks later
#12929 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I use these on my POTC with mirror blades and while snug they work perfectly. Have yet to get a scratch. Great buy.

I ruined my first pair of art blades for my JJPOTC. Then got the pinball life protectors and installed a second set. With the protectors, I haven't had a problem. They are super snug and I did add an extra couple of magnets to help.

1 month later
#13415 4 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

What you win is.......an extra ball? That’s it? THAT’S IT?!?!

Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

#13508 4 years ago

Playing this game last night reminded me that if/when a code update comes, I hope there is an option for ball save out after chapter is selected. It doesn't happen that often, but often enough that it drains SDTM. It really hurts when it is your last ball.

2 weeks later
#13701 4 years ago

Every time I see an add go up for this game I ponder if I should sell it. Then I look at that playfield and know that there will never be a game as packed as this again. And I know I would never get one back because of price tag.

#13777 4 years ago

Any chance for a brief summary of code updates? Is it just character tweaks, or are there any base game changes?

#13780 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Characters, some bug fixes, you can switch characters after 9 pirate target hits, motion detection attract mode call outs, (wifi updates maybe), and they said this is just some of the changes for the next update.Thanks

1 month later
#14257 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Have you tried turning the kick-out power down to prevent issues with the ball gate?

This worked for my Hobbit.

1 week later
2 months later
#15103 3 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I already have the protectors. I just have read how super tight this PF is compared to other games making install and use a pain.

Have a helper. I have to have my kids hold the side protectors in place when I raise it or they will lift up. My cabinet is super tight.

2 weeks later
#15138 3 years ago

Last night, I noticed the bottom part of my treasure chest (the molded plastic part) was a bit wobbly. Not sure if it has always been like this or not. As far as I can tell, it is held in by a bolt on the underside of the chest (very hard to see and had to use my phone camera). It feels tight. Should I mess with it, or just let it be. Does not affect gameplay as this is just the soft plastic mold, not the metal working parts.

3 weeks later
#15237 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

You can minimize the drain risk a bit. Don‘t wait until the post drops and releases the ball. Just push the two flipper buttons at the end of the animation when the characters are shown at the screen. Themagnet will grab the ball again and move It in the star map area, so that it does not come down strait from the post.

Gonna try this tonight when I get home. If it is a fix, then many thanks to you sir!

2 weeks later
1 week later
#15347 3 years ago

This will be my last night in the club. It has been a blast. I was lucky to have a game with no real issues. I've played the heck out of it and time to move on. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crile1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=Crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.