(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15696 3 years ago

Joined the club today! It was between this or GnR, and I think I made the right move for me. This game really shines more in a home setting.

20201009_193401 (resized).jpg20201009_193401 (resized).jpg
#15705 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Congrats! Can't say yet whether I agree with your contention, but I look forward to making my own comparison!

Thanks! I'll say it was certainly not an easy decision to make, but I tend to favor more mech loaded games. Four straight sleepless nights of internal conflict and talking to friends that played GNR was enough. I also figured swapping out Pirates for GNR later would likely be easier than the other way around.

#15741 3 years ago

I have only had my game for a week and have seen the eye patch and pirate hats a handful of times. Would love to see it more often!

#15758 3 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

The actuated chest mod arrived today and got it installed. What an amazing upgrade! I asked earlier, and for anyone else wondering the latest version is quite a bit better engineered than the version in the how to videos.

Crazy. I just got mine today too and I just finished installing it! After seeing it in action, I'd say it's a must have add-on. It's like a whole new major toy on the playfield. It took me a while to sort through the various videos to match the most up-to-date parts, but it ultimately worked on the first go.

1 week later
#15837 3 years ago

Cotton slows the ship. On my game the BP is completely level in attract mode. As far as I can tell, in play, it rocks equally left and right, but at first it is slower and seems to list slightly left to make it play easier. Repeated entries to the BP and time spent up there increases the speed and sway to the right, until BP Multiball is started and completed, which resets the ship speed.

#15844 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

What I'm saying is that I don't see any way that list can be changed by code... I see where betelgeuse is saying that the list SEEMS more to the left early on the game, but then sways more to the right to make it harder after repeated entries, but I don't think this is possible with code, unless there's another device under the playfield that actually moves the motor upwards slightly, that would do it...

I get what you are saying, and this was definitely based on my short observation and not an in depth review of the ships mechanics. It could just be that the motor picks up speed, and thus hurls the balls to the right edge more.

#15846 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Cotton minimizes the shifting of the ship, and slows down some of the rocking. It has nothing to do with keeping the boat level.

I think what was up for debate was whether or not the ship could reduce/increase the list to the left/right via the code, or if only the speed of the rocking changed...

#15859 3 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

There's nothing wrong with using full flipper strength - that's what older machines did when they didn't have an adjustment.

I think there may be more airballs and risk of damage to the ramps by cranking the flipper coil power up too much, though the flipper mech would likely be fine.

#15887 3 years ago

Just to expand on the mode starting... Shoot one of the lanes marked by a colored skull insert to spot it. This will mark a skull under that movie/color on the display. A mode for this color will now part of the random mode selection in the Star Map. Shooting the same skull more than once also raises the value of shots in that potential mode. The shots needed for the mode are shown on the display once the mode is started, and the small arrow inserts will be lit for those shots too.

#15976 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Anyone have a good method for avoiding SDTM after the ball releases from the star map? Such a frustrating way to drain.

Check the rubber ring on the left of the starmap shot for wear at the front post. Every machine is probably a little different, but I haven't had many drains since spinning this ring around.

#16006 3 years ago

I just completed some upgrades on my Pirates. I was late to the party and was actually calling around about JJPGNR when I was offered a deal on a Pirates SE. I figured it would be a mistake to not jump on the opportunity. I really much prefer the stainless armor to the black crackle paint, but otherwise I did want some of the LE features and other popular add-ons. Here are some of the more significant upgrades I installed:

ModCouple - Devil's Triangle
ModCouple - Kraken
PinballModCo - Lighted Opening/Closing Chest
PinballModCo - Lighted Starmap Backboard
PinballModCo - Spinning Jack Pop Bumper
PinballModCo - Custom Apron Decal
Invisiglass

Now for the lighting I had to get a little creative, since the color changing GI is the one feature of the LE that can't be added (to date). I actually used small squares of painters tape under the playfield to change some of the GI lamps to a light blue color. I also used some old green rubber bulb caps I had lying around to change the spot lamps to a seafoam green color, and a white one to dim the spotlamp for the Black Pearl. Since all of the inserts, spinners, pop bumpers, flashers and lanterns still change color on the SE, this went a long way to completing the look.
pirates1 (resized).jpgpirates1 (resized).jpgpirates2 (resized).jpgpirates2 (resized).jpgpirates3 (resized).jpgpirates3 (resized).jpgpirates4 (resized).jpgpirates4 (resized).jpg

#16007 3 years ago

On another note, does everyone seriously have their game setup to the factory pitch of 6.5 degrees? If so, I can see why the Stern fanboys think JJPs play slow and floaty. I have mine at 7.5 degrees like all of my B/W games and it plays awesome with just the default flipper strength.

#16026 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

There’s gotta be a mechanical fix for that? Mine literally never happens.

I never have this happen either. I have had balls hop the gate from the direction of the flippers a few times, though.

#16048 3 years ago

I haven't been waiting nearly as long as many of you have, and I get your frustration, but I do believe a code update will come. I read *every* *single* *post* in this thread over the last month (I may have a problem), and there are many statements to suggest JJP still has every intent of pulling through. I can't say it's likely their highest priority, but it isn't abandoned either. Sure it sucks, but there is a long list of games that had late (year+) code updates that elevated them to a whole new level. It's not uncommon in the world of pinball and this game has really only been out of production for a little over a year now. Eric himself confirmed in this thread just 6 months ago that it's still in the works...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/301#post-5647211

#16052 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm not not saying it's all good... and I'm definitely not trying to shut down the complaints, because the complaints are valid. When I said a 'year+', I was specifically referring to the end of the game being in production (~August 2019) and not since the last code update. Not that this makes it much more reasonable. I'm just saying that the last official word, long after production had already ended, was that it was still coming. So, I do believe it is.... though I lack scientific evidence.

1 month later
#16164 3 years ago

Are these particular transistors hard to find now? I would have guessed GNR is still using the same parts.

#16167 3 years ago

I got my chest mod working on the first shot with the latest design. Though I did spend quite a bit of time trying to feed the rod through, adjust the length, and align the chest lid before I even turned it on. The biggest issue is that the instructions are all over the place because of the numerous upgrades to the parts throughout production. The newest rod design gives you more wiggle room to adjust the rod length with threads at both ends. Most people struggle with attaching the rod to the servo at the correct length and servo position, or with getting the mod switch to open/close correctly from the mechanical action of the fork diverter.

#16180 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Finally installed my Black Friday mods from The Mod Couple. Look great and really fills in a part of the pf that looked a little bare (on the SE anyways) although now I kinda want the fancy pop caps to balance out the other side...

I did the same mods on my SE. You can actually add the LE spinning pop bumper too, as well as the full width starmap. The connectors are still there on the SE, so it's all plug and play.

20201112_193034 (resized).jpg20201112_193034 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#16190 3 years ago

These transistor issues, along with motherboard and power supply issues on a DI in another thread, have me wondering what spare parts would be good to have on hand for Pirates. If all of these parts are supposed to be off-the-shelf, where is the shelf and what am I looking for? If I needed a new motherboard/video card, what would I buy and would it be plug and play? What about the power supply? The hard drive? The monitor?? Is this all documented somewhere?

#16206 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Just to give some help, the motherboard that is in our GnR for example will run Pirates, the power supply is fairly standard ATX, hard drive is any 2.5" 60gb+ and you would make a full install USB stick and use the game to program the drive.

This is some great info. Thanks for that. It's good to hear that the mb is still being used for GnR. Are you able to provide any insight on the DVI monitor, as well?

(...and I am not panicking. lol. I just like working on my own games and I think this information will be useful to the community. If this is common knowledge to other pinsiders, I wasn't able to find it documented anywhere.)

2 weeks later
#16242 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I also want to get a opening/closing treasure chest, can someone point me out to the best and easiest to install mod for this?

There's really only one treasure chest mod. It's just had some revisions along the way. There is a lighted and un-lit version.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1202-pinball-mod-co/02711-pinballj-s-actuated-chest-mod-jjp-potc

(same as above)

#16263 3 years ago

I would say to do the Yelobird fix. This will help remove any pooling and keep it from coming back. You can then use mylar rings instead of washers, so regular star posts can be used. If you have cracking - thin, water based super glue can also be used as a spot clear coat to seal it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands

#16268 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

What type of leds go in the spot lights? I put comet 6.3v which I do for all my sterns and they basically melted

They are 12v. Comet sells them.

#16272 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Why would the legs be different on those JJP games? Not saying they are not just wouldn't assume they are?

Someone else tried installing the gold armor from The Hobbit earlier in this thread. They said that the legs on The Hobbit were shorter.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/229#post-5107677

#16314 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I was just checking the JJP site to confirm the GnR price increase and noticed that all three versions of Pirates are still listed and tagged as "Out of Stock", while GnR SE and CE, and Wonka SE and LE are listed as "Sold Out". So I guess JJP is just waiting to restock Pirates

Yes, but directly under 'Price: Out of Stock' it says 'Stock Availability: Sold Out – Contact Local Distributors'.

#16322 3 years ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Curious if you believe they will make more Pirates given all the demand? They have had so many various WOZ editions it is hard to keep track. I personally think they will release a 'special' new version and charge at a couple thousand more than last time. Similar to the Yellow Brick Road WOZ. What do you think?

I used to think there would be another run, but these days i'm not so sure. It may be a little too far in the rear-view mirror. I think that getting all of the parts needed for a smaller run would be difficult. Renewing the licensing could also be more tricky than with WOZ. Disney and Depp have been on the outs for a while now. They aren't currently promoting the brand. I saw an old interview with Jack where he talked about how they coudn't get Chow Yun Fat to agree to be in the game. If any of the 22 actors doesn't want to sign over rights to their image again, that complicates things even further.

There's probably still more money to be made off of new titles and a long term schedule to keep. There's about the same demand for GnR CEs right now. I can't say I'd exactly be surprised to wake up one day and find out Pirates is getting another run, but I'm not expecting it.

#16332 3 years ago

Mine isn't going anywhere. I like it too much. There are plenty of other games that would go before this one if I needed the money/space.

#16392 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Jesus, wtf has this hobby become?

I grew up being contented to hang with buds and toss quarters in. I don't think I'm much of a fan of the home market, frankly. It's pretty grotesque and takes away from what felt like an incredible escape as a teen. Owning shit at stupid prices isn't really an interest to me.

You are lucky enough to own a Pirates and were able to spend $10k+ for a large toy for your home. Enjoy it and don't get so worked up. Nothing earth shattering has really changed with pinball prices. You need to put things in perspective. 10 years ago people were bitching about $6k machines and 'oh the sky is falling, the bubble will burst!'. There's been a variety of titles that trade for over $20k for a looooong time, but you don't need to own even a single one of those games (most people don't!) to enjoy the hobby. You also don't need to be rich so much as patient and dedicated. Get some games you like that you can afford and eventually you'll run out of space. Keep trading up a little bit at a time or trade 2 for 1 to get there. The fact that pins don't lose much value, or even gain value, is what makes collecting affordable for us peons.

1 week later
#16452 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

For anyone that needs one. Jersey Jack has spinning disc decals back in stock.

Wow, I didn't see this coming. I have been trying to get a replacement for a while now. Thanks for posting.

#16482 3 years ago

Has anyone tried using a projector instead of LED strips? A friend of mine has a small projector that creates a moving water effect on the wall. I've often thought about trying to put something like that projecting on the floor under Pirates, but I haven't messed with anything yet.

#16523 3 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

I just received my POTC LE today. The treasure chest is not locking balls as it should. It appears that the locking arm mech has been stretched backward out of place. I bend it forward, which works to lock balls for a while, then it situates itself back into the position where it won’t hold the locked balls. The person I bought the machine from said he powered up the right flipper in order to make the shot into the chest go in. Has that caused, or is it causing the issue? Any ideas for a fix? New part? Thanks!

This is likely the problem - Take the whole assembly out from underneath. There are 2 screws in the top that frequently come loose from the factory. You can only access them by removing the mech. Put the fork in the position you want and tighten these down, then re-install the mech.

fork adjustment (resized).jpgfork adjustment (resized).jpg
#16525 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Sounds like you're referring to the arm that holds the balls in the chest after they go in, as shown in this post from the issues thread:

Re-reading that, I may have been misunderstanding the problem. The fix I suggested would make the balls enter the chest lock more cleanly, so that the flipper power doesn't need to be increased to force the ball into the lock.

#16531 3 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

No credit for using my picture or link to the original post?

I had the picture on my pc for ages and didn't even recall exactly where it was from. No offense intended. I'm pretty much done trying to help people with their pin problems anyway.

#16590 3 years ago

The only real difference between the SE and the LE is the color changing GI, and arguably the computer controlled star map... Though, I much prefer the modded star map to the factory star map, and I think most people would. Anything else missing on the standard can easily be upgraded to LE level or better... Devil's Triangle, Spinning Pops, Shaker, Headphone Jack, Invisiglass?? Just buy them and plug them in. I think people are paying $5,000+ more for an LE for the bragging rights of saying they have a 'Limited Edition', even though they are actually 5x less limited. Another part of it is that a lot of people don't even seem to realize how little difference there is between the models.

#16598 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

the lack of RGB alone results in people never saying SE=LE even with mods.

I would NEVER argue that they are completely equal, but $5,000-$7,000 more for a dozen additional color changing lamps on the playfield? It sure made a lot more sense when there was only a $1k difference between the models, but my point was that this is more about prestige and collectability (which is more abstract) driving the market than it is about the tangible differences. Not that I have a problem with that.

#16613 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Has anyone installed the spinning Jack Sparrow on their SE? I’d like to see it in action.

Also is it just pinballmods.co who makes this or does someone else make one?

I have him installed on mine. These are only available from pinballmods, AFAIK, but that should be all you'll ever need. You can order the individual pieces from their website, if you don't want the full kit. The working connectors are still there under the playfield from the factory, so they spin the same as on the LE.

pirates2 (resized).jpgpirates2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#16633 3 years ago

Is anyone else getting discouraged by all the hate being directed at this title lately? Ever since the pricing went crazy, that seems to be all that people focus on when discussing this game. It's like everyone is trying to look cool by chiming in everywhere about how much they dislike Pirates and how some other random game blows it away. It's got to the point where I don't even want to tell people I have one, whereas before I was thrilled about it.

#16644 3 years ago

Appreciate the comments. I have owned plenty of less than popular (but fun to me) titles before. I have even owned titles that I grew to dislike myself. I've never had a problem with that. I guess I'm just trying to comprehending the wave of haters looking to knock this amazing game off of it's pedestal.

#16655 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey has anyone else installed the spinning pops mod? The video shows the pop lights already removed but on my game they’re still here and there are 4 wires running up... do I just clip em or are they daisy chained so they’ll need to be re- attached together? I know the lighting situation on this game is complex so I don’t want to just start snipping....

Yes, the LEDs plug into a pcb under the playfield and can be removed. Just clip the wires and remove the LEDs with the wires attached. Then follow the wires under the playfield to where they plug into the pcb via a molex type connector. Unplug the molex connector from that pcb and remove the connector with the wires attached.

#16663 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Betelgeuse hey so since you seem to be the guy with the answers... the rear pop is much too tall to spin without hitting the bottom of the ramp. Is there some install trick I’m missing? I’ve tried it every which way, made sure it was all seated down flat and the whole works but no matter what it’s still too tall even with the ramp attached high on the adjuster (which wouldn’t work well for gameplay anyways).

I actually had this problem with my front spinning pop, where I couldn't get the character to clear the glass no matter what I did. Scott ended up sending me a different motor mount plastic that had a slightly lower profile. That gave me the wiggle room I needed. I can't say for sure, but if you've got the barrel seated all the way down on the motor shaft and the motor mount is screwed down tight, there's not much more you can do.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#16711 3 years ago

It's really good to see JJP standing behind their product. I think POTC would actually be a fairly easy playfield swap. I've had a good portion of the playfield stripped down just from installing mods and doing repairs under the Black Pearl. The light boards under the playfield have thier disadvantages, but would sure be a lot easier to swap than individual lamp sockets like on older games.

3 weeks later
#16814 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I've been having problem with the cannon load gate on the black pearl. It doesn't open completely to let a ball through. When I hit the gate with a ball it rises up temporarily, but then comes right back down. I've looked through the trouble shooting guide and tried some of the fixes mentioned but no luck so far. I do know that the bar that lifts the gate swings left to right (not centered) and could be easily getting caught up on something but see not way to lock that in place. I tightened the screw underneath the coil but the metal plate will still swivel left and right. I've also bent that "tongue" that connects to the spring both up and down. It'll work for a few games and then the problem comes right back.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Don't know if you tried this, but usually this is a problem with the targets in the starmap magnet area on the main playfield. You can go into switch test and bang on the playfield near the starmap to see if you are getting any phantom switch closures. If any of the switches on the main playfield close while you are on the pearl with the cannon gate open, that gate will close.

#16818 2 years ago

I didnt think that was possible how busy it is down there, but I will give it a shot. Thanks!!

Congrats on tracking down the problem! Can confirm I have adjusted those slings and targets from underneath the playfield, but yes, it is a bit like a game of Operation(tm) with some finger crossing.

1 month later
#16895 2 years ago

I had a crazy nightmare last night where I went to play my JJPOTC and when I went to plunge the ball, I noticed somebody had swapped it out for a Stern POTC! As if someone had actually broke in and not only stolen my machine, but bothered to drag in a different game to disguise the theft. I panicked and looked around my game room and realized that other games had been swapped out with crap titles. Ah, the things that plague my subconcious. It was a relief when I woke up!

#16921 2 years ago

Having an issue with my spinning character pop bumper mod that has me stumped. I installed this in my SE about 6 months ago and it's been working perfectly until now. In gameplay, it seems like the motor is very weak, causing the character to just twitch instead of spinning most of the time. Enough hits will eventually get him spinning, but even then he seems to be spinning slower than normal.

I've run him in the coil test a few times and he seems to be functioning normally there. I can't replicate the issue in test mode. I've taken the assembly apart and checked the motor. Everything seems fine there. The motor isn't heating up and it spins hard in test mode. The barrel seems to be firmly tightened onto the motor shaft. I reseated the connectors under the playfield too. Still, when I go back into gameplay, he barely moves. Has anyone encountered this? I'm hoping it's not a pcb issue.

#16924 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

Did you try to reverse the feeds? Plug in the barrel one under the ramp to see if it works?

Good thinking. That may help narrow it down. Will give it a try and report back.

#16925 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

Did you try to reverse the feeds? Plug in the barrel one under the ramp to see if it works?

Ok, so confirmed the motor is still gimped in gameplay when connected to the hookup for the upper spinning barrel. That seems to rule out any issues up stream. Even though it seems to be working fine in test, I am going to try to replace the motor and see if that fixes it. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

#16928 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

It's already that !! I unplugged my power supply on the barrel because the ramp rubs against it. I tried everything but impossible !! I don't know if this works for you?

Sorry, I don't have an issue with anything rubbing or obstructing the spinning barrel. It worked fine for many months and then just recently the motor started getting weak. I did originally have trouble with the character being too tall to clear the playfield glass, but Scott sent me a revised motor mount bracket that had a slightly lower profile which resolved that issue on my game.

#16929 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

I'm trying to access the rubber that is around the post behind the chapter select standups and just to the right of the chest. I cannot for the life of me work out how to easily get at this without completely removing the Chest and the ship in their entirety (which doesn't seem right to change a perishable component like a rubber). Can someone let me know what's the easiest way to get at this rubber and change it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I was only able to change this rubber ring when I had the Black Pearl removed to install the cliffy protectors. I haven't personally heard of an easier way. When it first started wearing at the post on the left of the starmap entrance, I was able to reach in there well enough to spin the rubber ring around and prolong it's life, but that's about it.

1 week later
#16936 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok completely reaching here but a few suggestions from memory. The spinning barrel is activated by the pop ring contact which in game play is momentary vs in switch test. Have you cleaned the contacts on the pop or tried moving them closer together slightly to hold the power longer? Also, as thats a rather large spinning weight (figure) is it fairly balance towards the center. If it is front heavy the motor may have trouble (like a tilt-a-whirl) to spin it 360. Just a few things to possibly try. Good luck.

Thanks, but the pop worked great for 6 months before this. I tried moving the connector to the hookup for the other spinning pop and was still getting the same issue. It also was sluggish in Tortuga multiball where it *should* spin no matter what. I replaced the motor and now it's working again! I could tell as soon as I tried it in test that it was spinning harder than the old motor. It could be that these heavier NECA figures wear these motors out faster than normal, or maybe mine was just defective and finally kicked the bucket.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions!

#16938 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Can you please tell me where you found the replacement motor ?

I just looked up the model number printed on the side of the motor and found one on eBay. I'm not sure if there may be a better source.

2 weeks later
#16967 2 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Yeah duh. Lol, I defaulted to my subscribed owners list and jumped on here instead going to dig up the hobbit thread. But also wondering like everyone else wtf POTC will get the wifi update etc seeing as now an older machine even has it..

The whole thing with the POTC code is weird. There must be some kind of legal hurdle with the license. I think it's gone beyond JJP just not having time to update the code, especially since a beta release already exists.

3 weeks later
#16997 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

My God man - you are missing out! Just sayin' as we seem to have similar tastes in games and my POTC is just WAY to fun to play to worry about code updates or future value. You bought it to play and enjoy right?

I have only had my POTC for about a year now, but I still play it daily. I have added 4 other machines since I got it, but I find myself playing Pirates most of time. For whatever reason, this game just grabs me. I got to Treasure Hoard for the first time a few weeks ago by accident, and now that I know how it works, that's given me something new to shoot for. I mean, it is still a mere pinball machine and I'm sure I will eventually cool off with it like any pin, but what other pin could really take it's place? If nothing else, I think this is currently the best representation of a JJP game I could have in my lineup.

#17002 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Collect all combo treasures and it starts

Yup, here are the combos that need to be completed. I've also got there by gambling treasures in Liar's Dice. A 50k pt. jackpot lights at the Tortuga saucer, and loop shots increase the jackpot value before it's collected. A nice bit of risk and reward.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#17017 2 years ago

Why am I not surprised that all of the other JJP games would receive this update before POTC? I sure hope it does end up coming. I don't fully understand why JJP treats this title like it's cursed. 1,000 units is still more than Spooky or AP has sold of any of their past titles.

#17019 2 years ago

Has anyone else experienced problems with the settings for Plunder? I have my game set to Plunder Items=1, which from everything I have read should mean that only gold can be plundered. Still, in some recent multiplayer games, people are getting the option to steal points, balls and characters too. I have thought about disabling plundering altogether, but I think it's a fun feature when the consequences aren't too punishing. In fact, I have the Plunder Level set to Cutthroat, so that plundering occurs frequently. Anyone else run into this issue?

#17022 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have owned my POTC now for a while, and figured it was time to change the game rules and make it tougher.

One thing I changed on mine early on was needing 100 gold instead of 50 for tortuga mb. I felt it was too easy to get to 50 gold and this change helped with the mb vs single ball balance nicely. Just an idea.

2 months later
#17156 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So the Tortuga is not linked to a wizard mode then I take it... I think I need 45 gold for mine

Regarding the spinner rips to The Depths... is there any way to tell how close you are to starting that? Or On Stranger Tides for that matter...? Or the Maelstrom... maybe on the display...?

Factory settings for Tortuga MB is 50 gold, but it's adjustable.

Multiball progress is tracked on the map on the LCD. If you look closely, you can see the colored paths completing on the map as you progress towards each MB.

2 weeks later
#17201 2 years ago

This is great! Good to see there is more to this update than just Scorbit being implemented. Any chance we can get an option to adjust the number of chapters needed to get to each movie wizard mode?

#17288 2 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Can anyone remind me what the recommended coil strength was for the VUK to the ship?

25 is the sweet spot on mine.

1 week later
#17326 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Just picked up an SE. How good is the shaker integrated in the game and is it worth adding? Game has pooling/chipping around sling posts, what is the best washers recommended to go under posts? Do most change the posts to the wider star type when putting washers down also?

I don't usually bother with shakers, but I added a JJP shaker to my SE and it was definitely a worthy upgrade for this game. I think I read that the new code in the development will add more shaker action too.

As for the sling posts, most people swap in star posts and there was actually a star post kit that JJP used to send out. If you have bad pooling, the vinyl repair kit 'playfield iron' can be used to flatten the pooling and curb future chipping before installing the new posts. As for what to put under the posts, there are million different theories on what is the 'best'. Some people put mylar rings, rubber gaskets or neoprene washers under the posts. There are lots of threads about this for JJP games in general. Personally, I used the playfield iron, mylar rings and star posts and 1,000 plays later it still looks perfect.

1 month later
#17388 2 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Just out of curiosity, but did anyone ever come up with another solution for the plunger issue hitting?
It was always either lift the playfield by bending the hooks slightly (I never did this) or put something between the playfield to raise it. I chose to this method, but unfortunately after doing so you can no longer latch the yellow lever properly.

Also, I can still see very clearly where the plunger is hitting the auto return so I definitely need to take it apart and see if I can't adjust it some.

Thanks all!

The most likely solution is to loosen or remove the manual plunger housing/plate, slide it to the position you need it, and tighten it back down. There is usually a little room for adjustment with how it's mounted in the cabinet.

#17392 2 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Bending the playfield hooks has always seemed like the “definitive” answer, but I have always been against doing…

Personally, I would only bend the hooks if it seems like the playfield isn't sitting close to level in the cabinet. I would bend the auto launcher before I would do that. It may take some real trial and error to get it right.

1 week later
#17410 2 years ago

Pirates is my favorite JJP, by far. I personally wouldn't trade it for a different JJP. They are all interesting to me, and Wonka is fun, but I think the audio annoys me too much to want to own it. Reminds me of this.

grinch_ad (resized).jpggrinch_ad (resized).jpg
#17427 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

The arrow will be lit to hit the ball into the cannon gate but sometimes the gate doesn’t open all the way until nudged by the ball once or twice, like the spring needs help or something. It seems more like a mechanical thing than a switch but I’ll try that, thanks.

If the arrow remains lit, it could just be that the rod needs bent slightly. If I remember correctly, there is an actuator rod behind the gate on the right that pulls the gate open. You can bend it to make the gate raise a little higher.

#17433 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

I just tried bending the arm up to get the ‘razor’ flush at rest, but now still having issues with the gate not consistently opening all the way when the arrows green = having to hit the partially open gate with the ball then it pops fully open.

I haven't seen a Pirates where that gate closes flush at rest. I think it's normal for it to stick out a little bit. I would focus on getting it to open far enough to clear the ball.

#17447 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The movie character "Gibbs" Kevin McNally did most (all?) of the call outs.

McNally did a bang up job. He definitely helped elevate the game. There's also the parrot that chimes in sometimes when you are on the Pearl. It would have been nice if they used him more to mix things up.

1 month later
#17496 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I had my game up for trade/sale but going to give it another shot. My frustration with the game were the cheap drains from the mode start ball drop hitting the gold targets and going straight to left drain and the left sling popping the ball straight to the right drain, any tips on pitch or sling settings to cut down on these would be appreciated.

Replacing or even spinning the rubber ring on the left side of the starmap area can help with the SDTM drains. I was getting drained out a lot until I replaced that ring. You could also try adding a fatter rubber ring to the post on the left. If all else fails, someone used to sell a little gate that would make the ball roll more to the right, but I'm not seeing it listed anymore.

As for the slings, I don't think I ever had the exact issue you mentioned. Replacing the sling rubber may help there too. I have my slings set to 20, FWIW. I still have the rare wild sling hit where it sends the ball airborn against the side of the cabinet or into the plastics. I see this happen on every modern game from every manufacturer, though. Not sure why this happens, because older games never do this.

#17498 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I get this wild left sling catamaran shot to the right side of the cabinet every couple of games also. Seems to only happen to me during multiballs. I am on the beta code, but it happened on the previous code also. The right sling doesn't seem to ever do that.

I have it happen on both slings, but it only happens maybe once every 10 games or so. I am still on .99 code. This happens on every SAM or Spike system Stern game I've had too. I had a Metallica Pro back in 2013 that was doing it a lot, and I remember people on here were experimenting with installing resistors on the sling coils. It's crazy that almost 10 years later this is still an issue on modern games.

2 weeks later
#17524 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Looking at some mods. The full Starfield backpanel, the wooden speaker panel from backalley and the lior lockdown bar mod.
Anybody have these and feel like sharing your thoughts? It would be much appreciated. Also if anyone is looking to sell their Lior POTC mods. Hit me up.

The illuminated starfield is awesome if you have an SE. On the LE it's not quite as good because the lights look different from the ones in the existing starmap. For the lockdown bar, I prefer the look of the gold coins over the Lior one. Just my opinion. I haven't seen the speaker panel... you sure that's not for the Stern machine? JJPs don't really have a speaker panel.

2 weeks later
#17608 1 year ago

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if there are legal reasons why they can't release official code updates or produce more games. This would also restrict their ability to make public statements about what's going on.

1 week later
#17620 1 year ago

Does anyone know of a good source for a plastics protector set?

#17622 1 year ago
Quoted from Dexje:

i have a set from playfield-protectors

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, it looks like shipping to the U.S. would cost more than the plastics.

2 weeks later
#17633 1 year ago

There's a coin cell battery on the CPU that should be replaced every 3 years, or it can brick the game. Though, I have actually seen these types of batteries last 10+ years on other pcbs.

Instructions are in section E-5 of the manual.

#17634 1 year ago

Long shot, but is anyone able to send me the beta code? I was just waiting patiently for the final update, but we know how well that's working out. I didn't and don't want to install the telegram app to get it, if that's even still an option.

2 weeks later
#17659 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Does anyone know of a good source for a plastics protector set?

If anyone else needs plastics protectors, I ended up getting a set from Mezel Mods.

1 week later
#17681 1 year ago

I'd be in for some ramps! Mine are still ok, but I sweat a little every time the ball rattles hard on a failed ramp shot.

3 weeks later
#17747 1 year ago

The real must have mod for this game is that opening/closing lighted chest from Pinball Mod Co. It not only restores one of the scrapped toys from the prototypes, it improves upon it. I can't believe there are still games out there without this.

2 weeks later
#17762 1 year ago
Quoted from Zora:I had problems with the shaft as well and used a simple cord instead. Very easy and works perfectly since then.

I always wondered if that would work for the people having issues. I mean, the servo just pulls down on the back of the lid to open it up, but the weight of the lid closes it. It doesn't seem like a fiddling with the rod would be necessary if you can just use some wire. I have a later run chest mod where the rod length was easily adjustable. So fortunately, mine worked perfectly on the first shot and has ever since.

1 week later
#17781 1 year ago
Quoted from skwal:

Ok thanks a lot for this, i ll get someone to swap the transistor as i m not that good at working on boards...
Do you know the ref for the transistor by any chance?

Download the manual like LTG said. It's one of the best manuals available and contains very detailed parts information. This is from page D-65.

potc-transistors (resized).jpgpotc-transistors (resized).jpg
#17815 1 year ago

I asked about a plastics set months ago and was told they are no longer available.

1 month later
#17851 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Bought a Pinwoofer speaker/sub-woofer set, the Art of Pinball sculptured LCD cover and my ivory shooter.

Started with Pinwoofer system. Printed out the detailed instructions for each section. They are very clear what to do along with pictures to help in the process.

R&R the cabinet lower speaker. Easy to remove and replace. They also included any extra hardware that is needed.

Next install is the tweeters. You have to remove the bracket that holds them in and also holds the lock for the back glass.
Again great instructions helping you through each step.

Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings Mikespinball - delighted to see that you are enjoying our electronic instructions!

There is also a detailed instructional video from HurryUpPinball (Craig is quite brilliant):

Well, just finished the installation. The amplifier was a bit more/longer install do to that I took the time to reroute wires to the speakers and new power board supplied by the kit. I cut old zip ties and attached the new wire runs so that it looks factory installed. This includes the black wire loom that the main wire harness runs from the head to the lower cabinet and fed the wires along the left side of the cabinet.
At this time I am leaving the amplifier loose so that I can play with the different volume settings to find what I like.
The kit wasn't too difficult to install and the instructions were very clear and helpful to install Pinwoofer's kit for POTC. Overall very happy with their product and the sound it produces.

Why do I feel like I just watched an infomercial for overpriced electronics?

MadeupMealyElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gifMadeupMealyElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif
3 weeks later
#17866 1 year ago

Even if JJP wants to make more POTC, they can't do it without approval from Disney and the actors. They probably can't even add new assets to the code at this point. Given the state of the film franchise, it seems unlikely to me that anything will change. At the absolute least, I doubt that Depp is going to partner with Disney again for the sake of royalties from a pinball machine. Notice anything different about how the game is shown on their website?

jjp1 (resized).JPGjjp1 (resized).JPG
#17868 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You think they need actor approval? The game clips have no actors in them. And the playfield heads were approved along ago.

I do. From what I understand the licensing for POTC is especially complicated because of how the actors retain their rights. I won't pretend to understand all of the details, but there seems to be a different threshold (price?) for using their still images vs using their film footage and voices. I have watched all of the old interviews and listened to all of the old podcasts. There was an interview with Jack and Eric where they discussed how they weren't able to include Chow Yun Fat's character in the game because he would not sign off on the use of his likeness. Eric also mentioned the difficulties of getting signoff from every actor. Maybe they were blowing smoke to make it sound like a bigger accomplishment? I dunno. I am also suspicious of the fact that POTC went out of production shortly after the accusations against Depp and Disney dropping him like a hot potato, but that's just me.

#17869 1 year ago

Here's just one interview that confirms what I said about the individual actor signoffs. I am guessing that these expired along with the rest of the license. The discussion about licensing starts at 14:32.

2 weeks later
#17885 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Welcome to belt drive. So quiet a baby could be sleeping in the same room. Video coming soon. Orders shortly after.

It's great to see you still making enhancements for this game!

2 weeks later
#17943 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah I gotcha. Just not looking for any surprises, trying to do my homework before hand. The less headaches the better, ya know?

I have read a ton about the game and have a good idea of what to be looking for but it never hurts to ask about what I could be missing. I know with pinball machines in general that a lot of time one certain model can share a common issue which is what I am more or less looking for here.

The chipping around the posts that you mentioned seems to be most common issue. It's just so common with this title that finding one completely without pooling/chipping would be out of the ordinary. Nothing else stands out as a widespread issue, but replacement plastics and ramps are unobtainable at the moment, so I would check for any damage there.

2 weeks later
#17991 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

For those who have the mod where the chest opens and closes, did you trim this piece to get it to fit correctly? It seems there is no way to install it without trimming it because it interferes with the arm that opens and closes the chest.

I didn't do any trimming on mine. The arm comes very close to tapping the bottom side of that plastic, but doesn't quite hit it. Maybe your chest is leaning forward slightly?

#18005 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

It seems like this thread is a sinking ship, not very active these days...

I wouldn't say it's sinking. It's just that the game has been out for 4 years now and not much has changed since production ended. There also aren't nearly as many POTC floating around as with most other new games, so not as many owners on pinside to chime in with thoughts and ideas. It's like trying to keep a thread active for Mystery Castle or something. You can always go back and read all of the old threads about the game as there is a lot of good information buried there.

#18013 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone noticed wear in their Star Map area? I see some people saying they added mylar here, mine has no wear...

I've wondered about this too. I have seen some beat playfields on POTC, but they didn't have any wear in that spot. These playfields seem more prone to pooling and chipping at the edges, but less prone to wear in the traditional sense. Anecdotal, but I have around 2500+ plays on mine and that area still looks like new...

#18017 1 year ago
Quoted from TZBen:

I just removed the map protector. I hit that shot about 50% more often now

Huh. I installed the map hole protector after I started getting wear on the right edge. I honestly didn't notice any difference in the difficultly of the shot and even if I did, I wouldn't want to blow out the playfield there. I put a lot of games on mine, though.

1 week later
#18054 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Pirates (and a standard no less) for sale on Pawn Stars for 27K!!!

I'm sure they asked to see the most expensive game on the floor and add 30% to the price for shock value. Always nice to see some pinball publicity tho.

1 week later
#18075 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Is this game goat level? I’ve never had the chance to play it…

It's in my top 3, as well. Definitely my favorite LCD era game. It's not only a mechanical marvel, it's also very fun and addicting. I'll probably go to the grave with this game still in my lineup.

1 week later
#18088 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Maybe it is just me but what in the hell is up with the spotlights in this game? I see the prior owner used hot glue to hold the lights in their sockets but it seems like no matter what I do, especially the one that focuses on the Black Pearl seems to flicker on and off. I am not sure if the bulbs are garbage or the sockets? Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Not sure if there are better fitting bulbs or maybe I need to replace the spotlights all together... I have two that are giving me issues but one is worst than the other... Starting to drive me nuts!

I don't think they are ever meant to flicker. I swapped mine out with Comets. They are glued in from the factory, but they can still be pried out if you are careful. Even just bending the contacts on them and putting them back in might solve the problem.

#18090 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

No I know, they are not meant to flicker... EVER! I'll swing by Cointaker, he is local to me and grab some from him to try. I have dicked around with mine too much already... However I did not know they were glued in from the factory, good to know. When you stuck the new bulbs in yours, did you glue them back in or no? Did you switch colors with any of them?

Just remember that these are not the usual 6.3v LEDs. 6.3v LEDs will melt. These JJP spot lamps use 12v.

I did not bother gluing the new lamps in, but haven't had any trouble with them. I did try experimenting with some different colors, but utlimately I ended up using white Comet lamps with a green filter over the bulbs. I used green silicone lamp covers similar to these ones marco sells, and this gave off a really nice seafoam color.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8063-2

pirates1 (resized).jpgpirates1 (resized).jpg
#18094 1 year ago

That is the correct ones and/or thats what is on my LE.

Yup, that looks like the ones I used. Maybe they are even the exact same lamps that JJP uses, not sure.

1 week later
#18108 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Okay so sorry if this has been answered but where can you get replacement spotlight bulbs for this thing? I had the one lighting the Pearl fail and I can't seem to find a replacement with that funky lens on the front so figured it couldn't hurt to ask...

We were just talking about this. These are very similar if not the same as the factory lamps. They are 12v instead of the usual 6.3v.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/opmax-12v?_pos=2&_sid=a6c7e1555&_ss=r

#18118 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I was shocked to see there was a leaf switch there! The only reason I knew is because the game was randomly firing it when vibration was created cause it to increase the mystery aware and give me points. This game has shit hidden everywhere!

It's also more than just an extra switch hit for the pop bumper area. It's the target for the extra ball shot. You need to shoot it directly without hitting the pop bumpers to collect the EB.

#18124 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Any idea what would cause another ball to be fired onto the pf when one was in play without a mode in the game telling it to do it? I noticed when it did happen and I drain one of the balls, the game still was aware that the other was in play. This only happen twice and it was within the same day. It may not even be an issue and just something random that occurred.

Just a thought... if you choose Ragetti as your character, you can add-a-ball at any time by hitting the action button while the other ball is on the ship. Maybe that's what happened?

#18126 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Oh shit, I didn't know that! Yeah maybe!

Game is still new to me, thanks for pointing that out.

How do you random select a character BTW?

Gotta love the easy fixes!

Just from what I have seen, I think random select is only available in the beta. Though, the game seems to start with a random character highlighted in the .99 code, you just can't re-roll the selection like in the beta code.

#18130 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I have the newest beta installed and I highly recommend installing it! I saw a lot of changes after I updated to it including the support of Scorebit which also had a major update today!

Good Stuff

You are right, I should probably give it a go. In the past I was worried about bricking my game attempting the update, but I've learned more about the process since then and the recent beta releases sound promising. I just need to get a wifi adaptor for it.

#18133 1 year ago
Quoted from skwal:

You cannot brick the game, it s a pc motherboard inside and game can always be re imaged even if the hard drive fail (one of the good thing of using standard parts

Yup, that's exactly how I learned more about the process. My HDD failed at one point.

#18135 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

SSD
LTG : )

I just knew I was going to get called out on that as soon as I posted it. haha

2 weeks later
#18196 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone switch out the rubbers on their game to something other than clear? Looking for ideas...

I switched to regular white rubber to give it more of that classic B/W feel and take some stress off of the posts, but that's probably a more niche preference these days.

3 weeks later
#18255 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I would not expect much of a reply here, this thread is sorta dead IMO but yeah... Awesome man! I did that for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I think 2 times since then. Good Stuff! I love this game but everyone seems to be over it at this point and rarely does anyone want to kick up conversation about it.

I'm still around. I love this game and I still go back and play it as much as I play my newest games. To answer your question about the cliffy for the depths kickout, I did get a cliffy set, but that piece was one of two that I did not install. I have put well over 2000 plays on mine and there's no hint of wear there yet. The only place I had wear starting before I installed the cliffy set was the MAP hole on the right edge. YMMV

1 week later
#18312 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Beta 6 was crashing but it was removed a few days after it's release. From what I was told, the file was too big for the hard. When it ran the update, the hard drive would run out of space and the update would not install correctly.

index.jpgindex.jpg
1 month later
#18342 1 year ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

My spinning disc is grinding and sounding really bad all of the sudden. Whatever is going on it does seem to be impeding movement as well. I already have the modcouple kit installed from way back when I first got the game NIB almost 5 years ago.

What should I be looking to fix/work on to correct this?

I know that me and at least one other person on here had the small gear from the modcouple kit crack and start to wobble slightly. It looks like it's just 3D printed plastic, so possible this is what happened on yours too. I plan to get the belt drive system, but have been back to using the original gear in the meantime.

1 month later
#18382 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is the screen only, you often need the driver board too. Which they have, no idea the price of that.
LTG : )

$43 for the driver board.

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Parts/Driver-Bd.html

3 weeks later
#18408 9 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Exactly. If I had room for more games I would most likely be looking to do the same. As much as we love the game I think we would actually rather have more games in place of it. Right now doesn’t matter as we are full at 6 and quite happy with our lineup.

A friend of mine has a ton of EMs and early solid state games and most of them are in storage. Several times when I have bought a newer game, he would comment that I was crazy because I could have bought a dozen older games for the same $. I told him that game preferences aside, I wouldn't know where the heck to put a dozen more games! Space ultimately becomes the biggest hurdle for anyone who has been in this hobby long enough.

3 weeks later
#18465 9 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Im pretty sure the newest release has new video and sounds. I think I heard johnny depp a few times during a game that I never heard before.

Is there really new callouts not from Gibbs or the parrot added to the latest code?

2 months later
#18569 5 months ago

It’s coming….best conversation I had at Expo. It’s coming…

3QeZ.gif3QeZ.gif
1 week later
#18586 5 months ago

This game always calls me back. Even after getting other new and exciting pins along the way, I'm back to pressing the start button on Pirates within a week. It could only have been made during that window of time when the design philosophy was still 'more is more'. The mechs make it a standout, but the audio, lighting, artwork, and shot variety all help create a perfect storm that keeps me thinking about it even when I am not playing. I'll keep this game for as long as I am collecting pins.

1 month later
#18633 4 months ago

Okay pirate owners. Question for you all: I know this is normal for a machine that if a switch doesn’t get activated/used after so many balls will come up as an error upon turn-on. This happens a lot on mine with switch “target ship hit #48”. This is the British ship side.
Most of my friends that come and play this machine have learned how to shoot the ball across and hit the hole shot and never hit the side of the ship which activates switch #48.
I get tired of opening the machine up just to activate this switch to clear the error.
Is there or what are the rest of you doing to stop this error or are you all doing this same thing I am doing?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just leave it. If I clear the 'error', it seems to come back after just a few games.

#18649 4 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I run mine very steep. So fast and so fun. With this setup some of the ramps can be a bit of a challenge. Play around a bit and see what works for you.

Same here. I have mine at about 7.2-7.3 degrees. Nothing slow or floaty about it. It's a little more steep than my other pins, but after lots of experimenting, I think it plays best this way.

1 month later
#18719 83 days ago

I just ordered the new board today. I'll post some feedback on Pirates if nobody else beats me to it. I don't have a problem with the flippers, but if I had a dollar for every time I have heard or read someone else say that they hate JJP flippers, I could buy another Pirates. The reports from people that updated other JJP games over the last week have convinced me to give it a try, at least.

1 week later
#18727 76 days ago

I installed the updated I/O board in Pirates last night. I had left the flipper power turned up in the settings at first. On my first ball, a shot went up to the right ramp and hit a spot target on the upper playfield hard enough that the ball went airborne over the LEFT side of the ship! I went in and set the flippers back to factory settings, but after a few more games settled on bumping them back up just a couple of points for the sweet spot. The chest lock and ramp shots are a bit easier to make, but the even bigger difference was with the other coils and magnets in the game. Everything seems a bit more responsive and consistent, and the starmap magnet throws the ball around a lot more now too. We played for well over an hour and experienced no flipper fade on stock flipper mechs. This is definitely a worthy upgrade.

#18731 75 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I installed the updated I/O board in Pirates last night. I had left the flipper power turned up in the settings at first. On my first ball, a shot went up to the right ramp and hit a spot target on the upper playfield hard enough that the ball went airborne over the LEFT side of the ship! I went in and set the flippers back to factory settings, but after a few more games settled on bumping them back up just a couple of points for the sweet spot. The chest lock and ramp shots are a bit easier to make, but the even bigger difference was with the other coils and magnets in the game. Everything seems a bit more responsive and consistent, and the starmap magnet throws the ball around a lot more now too. We played for well over an hour and experienced no flipper fade on stock flipper mechs. This is definitely a worthy upgrade.

So, yesterday I put up several of my best scores on the game in the 4 years I have owned it. I also completed the most chapters ever in a single game. A friend of mine got to a mini-wizard mode for the first time. The updated I/O board is definitely making a difference. One new thing that never happened before is that the pop bumpers can send the ball straight up and around the orbit to the upper-left flipper. I've had lot more success with that Lawlor shot through the pops, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.