(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "audio".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Ok, ramp adjustment was easy. A single hex screw to tighten to lower the part where the ramp meets the ship. 1 minute fix

Ah! Awesome! That put me at ease. Thank you for taking your time explaining.

Great stream btw, so cool to hear the direct audio.

#145 5 years ago

Going to stream more pirates tonight with direct audio and video capture! Live at 8 Eastern at http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

2 weeks later
#250 5 years ago

Has anybody heard anything about adding/expanding the lightshow and audio when firing at the ship and then sinking the ship?
The new movie clips help but I think just firing and hitting the ship should result in much better audio and greater light show and then sinking the ship should really be something "special"

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It would be nice that right when you hit the fire button, you hear a big cannon blast. Followed by one of two sounds > you hit, get big loud explosion. You miss, you get the sound of water plop. Or something like that.

Hard to tell in the live streams but is there no explosion audio on a direct hit or any shaker integration on a hit?

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

but is there no explosion audio on a direct hit or any shaker integration on a hit?

Please,
There are two outcomes to firing the cannon. A hit, or a bullseye. Not too long ago JP added videos for each outcome. There are big and huge audio outcomes for each. These are the LOUDEST sounds in the game. All of the JJP streams only incidentally capture game audio from the mike so the real experience obtained by standing in front of a pin after blowing up the ship is not available.
The explosions are big, the orchestra goes nuts and it is very rewarding. It used not to be, it is now.

This event happens when the ball is wild and it is as big as it can be without nerfing your ability to continue playing.

There is considerable low frequency content in these fanfares and those with subs attached will notice it.

ddt

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Where do you plug in a subwoofer in The Hobbit and how do you get the cords in and out of the cabinet without drilling holes , any pictures would be great

I think I posted that in the TH thread someplace. When I get home tonight I'll try to search for the link. If I can't find it, I'll post some pictures in that thread for you. To sum it up ... I split the signal going to the cabinet sub (from the back of the PC cabinet box connection) so that it goes to both the RH and LH audio cable channels to the sub, then out of a small capped off access plate on the back of the pin. This is the way Pinnovators recommends it.

#272 5 years ago

Hey Thunderbird. I don't own a POTC (considering buying one) but do have a Dialed In and have watched a ton of the JJP live stream videos. I would say get whatever game you like the best, play both and get a good number of games in on each before pulling the trigger. As NIB games continue to become higher in price I would expect to take a greater hit on the secondary market. There's only so many pinball dollars to go around and I've found that selling newer higher end games takes longer then selling higher end Bally / Williams titles or Stern pro games. What drew me to Dialed In is how rich everything is in the game in terms of the animations, rules, sounds, music, etc.

Dialed In has a ton of toys with 5 magnets, the drones, theater toy, moving mechanic, large physical ball lock, moving QED toy, etc. Pirates has a lot of toys as well and I would have given it the edge over Dialed In in that department if the original 3 disk toy and moving chest was still in the game. After the production changes to Pirates I would give Dialed In the edge in toys. Dialed In offers a greater variety of toys and mechanical features then Pirates in my opinion.

I prefer games with deep objective based rulesets and both Dialed In and Pirates offer that. Pirates has way more modes then Dialed In but I don't find them to be as unique or as rich compared to Dialed In's disaster modes as all 125 chapter modes in Pirates play the same as there's no licensed actor audio / video from the films feature in any of them (other then a quick 2 second clip at the beginning). Same goes for each movie multiball in Pirates. There's a multiball for each movie but I don't feel like I'm playing through an event in 1 of the 5 films as there's no licensed actor audio / video. However, the 5 wizard modes in Pirates come across as very unique and remind be of the multi stage WOZ, Hobbit, and LOTR type mid wizard modes that I enjoy. Also, the pick of pirate feature in Pirates is super cool and combined with the map awards feature opens up a ton of strategy options. I can see the pirate character feature being a big draw at home for family, friend, pinball league nights, and tournaments. With the pick a pirate feature the lack of licensed actor audio / video in the game kinda fades away as you are then trying to maximize how modes are played in regards to scoring and getting through them quickly to get to wizard modes.

#278 5 years ago

Since Sunshine here in NYC has both POTC and DI, I recently got to play them back to back. THey are both worth owning. DI feels like a sports car in the sense of speed handling while POTC is like a luxury vehicle with all the options. I don't miss the features that were taken off from prototype (which I was able to play a few games on)

As for NIB games loosing value, to me they hold value incredibly well compared to my other hobby, high end audio. I was shocked at this when first getting into pinball about 2 years ago.

I want to get a JJP game but will have to sell my TAF to do so, and I'm debating a POTC or wait for perhaps WW? The space MY audio gear takes up and living in NY means I can only have one game. I now see why most people here have a game room full. On location it's also hard to get a sense of the game since it's so loud and with the venues music playing.

1 week later
#350 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I sold a rrwoz and getaway .I am loving the hobbit ,to me its the complete pin, it's so immersive and fun to play and keeps getting better with all the updates. TH has set a very high bar for pirates.

Oh yeah. As far as movie based pins go I think The Hobbit, with its latest code, is now the best of all time in my opinion due to excellent use of licensed assets being integrated throughout the game. The amount of work that went into that games rules, animations, music, and audio is astounding.

1 month later
#950 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Sometimes I have a crack in the speaker during gameplay, is that normal ?

I get both the pop on boot up which is fairly normal, but I also get the cracks every now and then in the gameplay audio.

1 week later
#1149 5 years ago

Audio clipping and drop outs.

OK, of the handful of little things to tinker with, I have no real concern so far. The one big annoyance is the clipping and drop outs in the audio. It is starting to drive me crazy! I believe that a few have questioned audio related issues, what is the fix here? I can upload a video if need be but it is painfully obvious and annoying.

#1151 5 years ago

Just listening to the end of game audio now, clippity clip! It's like a 'pop' sound.

#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

OK, of the handful of little things to tinker with, I have no real concern so far. The one big annoyance is the clipping and drop outs in the audio. It is starting to drive me crazy! I believe that a few have questioned audio related issues, what is the fix here? I can upload a video if need be but it is painfully obvious and annoying.

Try to unplug the headphone jack connector on the mainboard. My audio is perfect since that

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Try to unplug the headphone jack connector on the mainboard. My audio is perfect since that

Quoted from dnaman:

I'm slowly posting some of the challenges that I've had, hope they help those in need.
Out of the box I only had 4 balls of 5. A non issue for me and most but...
On to another small concern, the British ship has a metal plate that directs the ball down into the loop lane below (when you make the cannon shot).
On my pin I found that on occasion the ship would stay to the left a little and I would see switch#48 (target ship it) activated. Upon inspection I noticed that the screw post below the ship plate was a pinch point. Plate rubbing the screw head.
With the PF pulled out (forward) as far as it goes, onto the rubber feet, I removed the top of the ship (3 1/4" hex screws on back panel. Lift the PF slightly to clear the cab side and slide out the top of the ship. Move the ship towards the left of the cab and remove the screw and post. Sand or grind down the screw head and/or the plastic post and reinstall everything. Good to go!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had exact the same and did it the same way. Other way is shorten the post itself a bit

#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I had exact the same and did it the same way. Other way is shorten the post itself a bit

I'll try the audio connection. For the post, I did both, took down the top of the screw head and grinder down the plastic post a bit as well. The post alone would have helped I supposes

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Try to unplug the headphone jack connector on the mainboard. My audio is perfect since that...

That solved the clipping! Thanks for sending that suggestion back into the thread, in response to my issue. Man, it was frequent and very annoying! (Simple fix)

I hear a drop out in the audio on the last game I tried but this is not a pop or clipping etc... I expect that the drop might be a software fix in the waiting. Completely cool with that.

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That solved the clipping.

Too fast a reply unfortunately. A couple games later I am hearing the clipping again. I will play and try the audio jack thing (re-seating) and see where it takes me.
UPDATE: it is still way less than before, that's a start!

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Did you unplug it from the mainboard (bottom Right corner, black 10 pin connector) ?

No actually, just unplugged the 1/8' audio cable and reconnected it. I have since opened up the area to the main board and reset that connector (pin was off). I also re-seated the 1/8" jack as well (again, while I was back there). Still clipping but less than this morning.

4 weeks later
#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Owners thoughts so far? Curious about code in regards to the level of excitement, adrenaline rush this game has, and is it easy to understand.

I've said it before, this game is a Masterpiece. The only issue for JJP and especially Eric is Topping this game. Not going to be easy! For me, the biggest surprise and value of this pin is how immersive the audio and graphics are. With all the nay sayers early on demanding DVD rips I feared there would be gaps in the play to code animation. Far from it to me. Not to put this game on a pedestal but the animations and sound tracks created FAR exceed my expectations and I can't think of another game done this well. Add to that I suspect Keith/Joe and team are still not done as they seem like perfectionists. (good thing). As for easy to understand, I can see this being difficult to master on a route but in home use I feel the fact you can't really Master every aspect in one week is a great new spin for Pinball. A new adventure every time we play it.

#2412 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

New goal...get the external sound as good as the headphone sound. Adding on the Polk subwoofer has given the Pirates some extra oomph. Unfortunately the internal speaker layout in the Pirates is tough to work with. Still missing a lot of low-midrange tones that you pick up with the headphones. So may be looking at an external solution to fill in the gaps. Will see. Would love a direct replacement solution.

Our games are in our media room with a nice 5.1.2 setup w/ subwoofer. We’ve been talking about trying a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack to push the audio to the sound system.

1 week later
#2636 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

When y'all turn your machine on, while booting up, do any of y'all hear a really loud feedback click or two ff the speakers?

Yep, scares me every time. Sounds like I am going to pop the speakers. Like I said, the line level out of the CPU is really low so they have to amp the signal up pretty significantly. It works, but I am guessing may also increase the audio pops on startup. Also amps any static they have on the line which i am guessing may contribute to the audio pops we hear during the game.

#2641 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

When y'all turn your machine on, while booting up, do any of y'all hear a really loud feedback click or two ff the speakers?

Mine has always done this as well.

I believe that Keith mentioned it as possibly being resolved in one of the last updates but it is still happening.

I also still have some audio clicking. I'll have to record some of it to see if others have that. There has been some discussion of what to check and to try to re-seat audio/speaker related connectors/cabling but that didn't fix it.

#2658 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No and I really would like them to add something besides the JJP logo music. I’d ideally like yo ho yo ho a Pirates life for me but if they can’t, a custom Pirate track from David Thiel would fit the bill as well. Something to lure people in!

I think that we've bounced around the idea but if they would just allow an MP3 or sound file option in attract mode then we could choose our own music/audio.

Simple add-on and they could even restrict it to free play only. This way we can add what we want for our home arcade and they don't really have to worry about operators adding something that they shouldn't (if that matters). Who is interested in this?

1 week later
#2972 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ah! So is the little red button under the blade sticking? If so, try slightly unscrewing the black screw closest to it.

The red portion doesn't stick, it just moves correctly, its the registration of the switch open closed state that is flaking out.

Check out the vid. BTW, it behaves the same if its my finger pushing the metal switch arm..i just took this video before I used my finger. You can hear the test screen in the audio.

#3013 5 years ago

Seems its a bit of a 'hidden mode' too because I'm not seeing anything regarding 666666 mode in the instruction .pdf.

does anybody know if getting there actually does anything besides the screen animation (and possibly additional audio)? is there an extra multiplier or additional jackpots/rewards?

Hogbog ?

#3072 5 years ago

Just looked...not exactly very cheap...$50.

Mini High-Gain Stereo Audio Booster With Volume Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018IKIX02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.cCsCbSPFVCC4

But it works.

#3098 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Alligator clips directly to the cabinet sub is working great for me.

But what type of subs are you guys using. I saw one on crutchfield for 140 with amp. Also it has a left and right input, how would this be hooked up?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

But what type of subs are you guys using. I saw one on crutchfield for 140 with amp. Also it has a left and right input, how would this be hooked up?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

Um...huh

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UcZsCbHAYHYJ9

Just use one input, it is fine. Additional clips on the pinball cabinet sub speaker to one of the inputs on the external subwoofer.

#3101 5 years ago

Is there a way to mod the sound on this? I'd love to play with the audio and add some custom music and sound clips to it.

1 week later
#3470 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

How did you connect the external subwoofer to your POTC?

I'm going to be adding a sub to my POTC the same way I did on my DI.
I added a 3.5mm "Y" splitter from the MB audio output jack in the backbox. Then I run a 3.5mm cable out to the sub with a 3.5mm to RCA Stereo pair adapter on the end.
Super clean. Sounds great. Easy peasy. The sub's crossover filters out the highs.

Nick "junky"

#3757 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

For the guys that have had this game for a couple months or more, what do you think of it? Is it still worth 10k? Are you having any thoughts of dumping it soon? How is it compared to other games you own or have owned? I must admit, I've never had such a difficult time deciding on a game before, but the price still has me held back. For some reason there is a mental threshold past 8k for me. Even if you only had it a very short time, how is the honeymoon period comparing to other games you've owned?

We've "been aboard" since December. Even though we've had more (minor) issues to resolve out of the box than most who've checked in here, I have zero regrets about it because there's SO much value in its single cabinet relative to what else could potentially fill that space.

Big question for me would be: dump it for what else? What's available now or on anyone's radar that is of similar quality and depth to Pirates? What machine can offer more gameplay and quality in all the ways we know that count in that same single-machine space? That's a REALLY high bar at this point. In the meantime? A pirate's life for me.

In normal situations, why do we sell games? We master them. The rules and/or sounds/display are repetitive. There's new shiny objects that by some subjective measure are different/desirable enough to swap for.

Master Pirates? Well, when you can complete Break the Curse in 3 out of 5 games, you probably ought to hit the Circuit like yesterday. Repetitive? Relative to other games Pirates has arguably unprecedented variety and depth in gameplay along with a jolly roger-flying boatload of very high quality audio/video assets, and the code's not even done yet. Shiny objects? Maybe Stern does a theme you just have to have, or CGC remakes your favorite classic, but are they going to be objectively comparable in terms of gameplay value to Pirates? I suppose we'll see. Until then, pick your character and I'm going to try to plunder you blind. (Can you plunder opponents in any other potential replacement game?)

My other games are really good and really pimped out, but the Pirates honeymoon continues. Every time we power it up it's a special treat--a challenging, varied, and exciting gameplay experience with tons of "delicious frosted topping" heaped on. It challenges every pinball skill in a beautiful environment loaded with cool stuff that makes pinheads smile. Weeks after its "landfall" here I haven't tired of it in the slightest, because each game you're off on another path of adventure among so many possibilities, determined mostly by your play--maybe all the way to Break the Curse this time?? Unlikely...but press Start and let's find out. And again. And again...

2 weeks later
#4669 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

External subwoofer peeps - do you guys just clip on to the speaker terminal at the bottom of the cabinet or is their a special hook up needed?
Just going to be using a PSW10 for both POTC and MBR when they arrive and will get another for my Houdini since the PSW10 only has 2 hookups

I've posted about this before. JJP's are just computers. You can easily connect a headphone cable y splitter off of the audio out port on the motherboard. And then just run that to an RCA adapter on the line in on your subwoofer. This is the cleanest way to go. You have no modification to your game. No soldering. And it's the proper way to send signal to a subwoofer. Easy peasy

#4828 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am probably not hearing what you are but it kind of sounds like the treble is dialed Way up and the bass sounds way down?

I think that's just bad audio recording. It's that noise right after the coil noise when you switch characters. It's also during gameplay on some occasions. I do have 0.98 installed.

#4834 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

I think I'm going for a full new install. Must be software related. I'll report how that goes...

check the connection of your audio out from the cpu board to the audio in (j102) on the audio amp board. it sounds like one of them is not fully inserted, therefore only giving you some of the sounds.

#4982 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's what I love about Kanedas review, he addressed POTC being referred to as the GOAT as so many people are considering it just that
When it comes to dropping $8k+ on a pin it needs to have legs. Many of Sterns pins are approachable yet most don't have legs in terms of unique and deep code. As Zach from SDTM said in his POTC review "this is a masterpiece code" and I agree. The ruleset of POTC is very approachable yet has a ton of depth, variety, and strategy to it. That is what I want in an $8k+ pin, that's a big reason why I bought an LE, and that's why I continue to buy JJP pins.

I can allow Kaneda's view that POTC isn't a"Greatest of all time" game as some have proclaimed it to be. That is a subjective ranking opinion and he's entitled to it. However, to pronounce it a loser because it doesn't meet his narrow definition of a winning pinball game (must tell a story and be approachable) is simply absurd. Additionally, stating that it doesn't take advantage of its widebody playfield, has no toys of value, and the center spinner has absolutely no effect on the ball, all make me wonder what the hell he was looking at while playing the POTC at Sunshine Laundromat and/or how their game has been set up!

I also wonder how well he could hear the game at Sunshine as the audio on POTC is not only amazingly good, it REALLY enhances the gameplay and significantly aids a player's understanding of its various features.

One only needs to watch a portion of Karl DeAngelo's latest fantastic POTC stream from this very afternoon to see what a wonderful game it is!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389946436

#4991 5 years ago

To go off on a very quick tangent, pinball is at it's core, metal meeting wood and plastic. We've even seen P3 involve glass, and the loss of tactile feedback alters pinball in a way where it's no longer pinball. Down that road, to heavily weigh plot structure or narrative advancement would need to be facilitated via moving, interchangable pieces on the playfield itself, and outside of glass, that's impossible. So to do so now, has to be done via an LCD screen somehow. LCD's definitely remove a viewer from the main component of pinball again, the tactile feedback.

Unless 3 to 4 dedicated years were spent engineering entirely new game advancements and engineering feats, which in turn would sink any company wishing to profit, there won't ever be narrative journeys more substantial than jumbled video and audio clips mashed oddly together, ala the Hobbit or Batman 66. The limit isn't necessarily the creators, it's the medium, and again, pinball being pinball, with elaborate nuances at best, and that is more than fine by me.

#5377 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

Not to get into a Star Wars rant on the pirates thread but while I grew to like the game I was underwhelmed from the start with my LE. I wanted to see them go all in like JJP has with pirates. I felt like they were happy with a stand up double instead of going for the grand slam......and it is a theme that deserves grand slam attention. I love that theme! The video integration and missions were fun but I was disappointed in the basic playfield. Blowing up the Death Star is way better in person than on video but the game was HARD unless you were a serious player.
I like games that appeal to nuts like us who are crazy for pinball and to my guests who come by to flip a few balls around and have fun. It got the least amount of guest play of any of the pins I have owned. People got excited to see it then played it and moved on. That doesn’t happen with pirates. To me it’s a solid game but not what I wanted to see and that disappointment was hard to get over. Never played the pro so maybe that might be a different/better experience.

I had a Star Wars LE for over a year and feel very similar. I actually just sold it to buy a Pirates LE. The mission structure in Star Wars is awesome but I was not a big fan of the rather empty layout. In terms of shots that pass through or drop into an area Star Wars premium / LE has 8 of them (7 on pro minus the fork ramp) where Pirates has 16 not including the extra ball shot which would make 17.

It's cool that Star Wars has all of the movie clips and actor audio / video. After a while though the layout just felt dull, the left outlane drove me nuts, and the mini LCD area felt wasted with uninspired skillshots. You can tell where JJP spent their money with Pirates and it was on the toys, features, and code. I've finally realized that at the end of the day all those items are more important to me then having movies clips.

#5381 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I had a Star Wars LE for over a year and feel very similar. I actually just sold it to buy a Pirates LE. The mission structure in Star Wars is awesome but I was not a big fan of the rather empty layout. In terms of shots that pass through or drop into an area Star Wars premium / LE has 8 of them (7 on pro minus the fork ramp) where Pirates has 16 not including the extra ball shot which would make 17.
It's cool that Star Wars has all of the movie clips and actor audio / video. After a while though the layout just felt dull, the left outlane drove me nuts, and the mini LCD area felt wasted with uninspired skillshots. You can tell where JJP spent their money with Pirates and it was on the toys, features, and code. I've finally realized that at the end of the day all those items are more important to me then having movies clips.

I sold mine right before I bought pirates as well! I agree the video/audio didn’t make up for the playfield......although I did like dodging asteroids in video mode. While waiting to place my POTC order I went old school and picked up Williams IJ (my other keeper beside pirates) and black rose. I picked up black rose as a temp game to mess around with until I decided to get pirates. Before I bought it I had neighbor lined up to buy it as his first pin as he wanted something more entry level price wise. My wife said to me “black rose is quirky and fun....let’s keep it awhile longer and sell Star Wars.” lol

1 week later
#5802 5 years ago

I decided to keep my NIB POTC LE and finally opened the carton and set it up this past weeked ... so I'm now officially in the club and loving the game!!!

For those keeping track, my game is LE # 224 and was built on 1/28/19 and other than a bunch of typical NIB adjustments and minor fixes, the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result) and a really noisy spinning disk (which I know is somewhat typical too). Oh, and my topper is missing its mounting hardware (screws and plugs).

Hooked up a Polk PSW10 subwoofer directly to the game's CPU audio output too and the bass is now rockin' - SO NICE to finally get to enjoy this game at home rather than on route!

#5840 5 years ago

I was saying to a friend last night, how well this game blends it's A/V package with the gameplay. That to me, on top of the excellent shot and rule design, make it a must own among modern pins.

Compare this game to the Munster's use of A/V in complimenting gameplay. In that game, there are incessantly several different voices, that for me feel more distracting than immersive. In this example the simplified license aids POTC, rather than having so many varied and frenzied call-outs, there's one comprehensive and incredibly professional one in the form of Gibbs/Kevin McNally.

Regarding the display, when a mode is initiated, the frenzy on the table is momentarily halted, while the ball ricochets back and forth, locked into a gameplay mechanic. In that moment, no concern for a ball drain exists, which allows the player to pause completely amidst the action, see a clip that plays more like an ambient visual clue than one featuring an actor where attention is fully engaged, and table immersion divided between the screen and the playfield. Compared to the Munster's, and many modern games, there's an abrasive set of audio and visuals that ultimately feel more jarring than complimentary towards what's occuring below. A random clip of Herman doesn't often feel tied to gameplay, whereas in Pirates, the quick video clip sets a mood, enhancing atmosphere, more than breaking it.

I feel like Pirates is the first modern game that uses the LCD screen in an entirely complimentary way, more so than distracting. It's a balance that the Hobbit, WOZ or Iron Maiden haven't accomplished. It's more cue based, feeling based, mood based, then "stare at the screen and watch the same clip over, and over, again". The brevity makes those clips more cues than attention holding, and allows just a quick break from the game, to breathe, check goals, and then revert attention downwards again.

For me, the shots and layout are so damn amazing, but the audio cues, use of the LCD screen are even more so. Pirate represents the best blend of stellar classic gameplay meets modern enhanced functionality. Congrats to all owners of this excellent pin, and most of all it's Hogbog creators!

Edit: Oops, sorry Eric for the doubling up of consonants in your username. Only happened because the game is doubly awesome..!

#6081 5 years ago

My game is playing beautifully but I am going to have to call JJP about my sound issues which persist. I have tried the couple of suggestions way back in the thread with resetting audio connectors etc... but they have not resolved the issues.

Between the sound popping/clicks (no not the loud initial pop on power up) and the audio which seems to sort of cut out, it is enough to bother me. I've had a couple people notice it without me mentioning it.

I will go back and see if there were other suggestions.

1 week later
#6557 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ground loop isolator is what you need to get rid of the hum. Dirt cheap, but I think JJP will send you one if you call tech support.

Oh excellent! That sounds familiar from this thread! I'm missing a manual cd, and topper plugs and screws also. Should I contact my distributor for all of these or JJP tech support?

Would this be causing the attract audio cut out also?

#6563 5 years ago

Pirates already has a ground loop isolator installed by the factory (unless it got missed). Go over the audio connections up there and make sure everything is plugged in tightly.

#6619 5 years ago

Got my LE up and running yesterday. Put around 20 games on it and thankfully its playing perfectly so far. May have a minor issue with some Super Shiny pinballs getting slightly magnetized at the chest but will see.

Before playing it at home I had only played it on location. What a difference. I can finally hear all of the callouts and music. David Thiel did an incredible job with the games music and sound affects as did Kevin McNally for the games callouts. Even though theres no actor audio and actor video in the game I think it worked out extremely well for the game as otherwise the ruleset wouldn't have been designed the way it is. The ruleset for the game feels like a blend between LOTR and WOZ in my opinion.

#6647 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Yeah, I think it's a good blend between both rulesets. LOTR is loaded with progressive based modes while WOZ has a few of those but has many switch points based modes (first 3 Munchkin modes, Crystal ball modes, Haunted modes).

The 125 chapter modes in Pirates are not progressive based but still feel like modes from LOTR in the sense that you have to hit specific shots on the playfield. I tend to prefer hit specific shots type modes versus random switch based modes (hit orbits, pops, all switches, etc) that become dull quickly in my opinion. Every chapter mode in Pirates has you working the playfield in a different way which is pretty cool. Theres also callouts for specific character shots as well as those remaining to help make up for the lack of actor audio / video a bit.

Multiball modes, besides Curse of the Black Pearl, feel a bit like switch based modes with the same shots being hit over and over for jackpots. Wizard modes take things back to LOTR and WOZ mini wizard mode design in the sense they are these separate events that occur in the game and are progressive based. Overall it's a pretty cool ruleset design.

#6930 5 years ago

Hey guys,

Audio:

I have some pretty strong vibration coming specifically from the lower left corner of the playfield (before the flippers). Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible something is rubbing against the sub on the bottom causing this vibration?

Clipping - Nothing unplayable or anything, but definitely enough to lessen my thrill a bit. And being an audiophile, pretty much unacceptable. Is clipping a somewhat reported issue?

Otherwise -- LOVING this game and I'll catch up on the posts that I missed before this one.

Back to playing!

#7052 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It may be months or years, as I don’t have a digital level . All I can say is, across 4 JJPOTC setups the second line plays great.

Pin guy app free. If you have a smartphone, you have no excuse. :p I love the audio callout of the pin guy app too. I put it on the PF and climb under the pin and start adjusting. And it tells me where I need to raise/lower so I don't have to crawl out from under the machine.

#7084 5 years ago

Apologizes for repeating myself...

But anyone else experiencing audio clipping on Pirates?

I guess one possible issue is the headphone connector/wire?

#7140 5 years ago

Hey,

So I guess audio clipping is "rare."

...Yay!

#7228 5 years ago

FWIW...

I plugged in headphones and had absolutely 0 audio clipping.
So I'm not sure if it's a wire or the speaker itself.

#7237 5 years ago

The audio clipping seems minimal...or better.

And what I mean by that is just a hint of static here and there.
Is no one really experiencing this whatsoever?

#7319 5 years ago

Oh... I forgot to add to my "To-Do" list...

Trying to squash the audio clipping/static.

Plugged in headphones and it's flawless. Need to figure out how to disconnect this molex connector and test. Hopefully, that's it and then I can work on re-routing.

#7343 5 years ago

Is it bad that there is no audio for me on the clip but I immediately know what he is saying......................

#7593 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

I am going to say that if you have not played a game of POTC JJ then you do not know pinball. Do not play on site but someone that will let you play. If you can you will understand why this game is and will always be the best game of all time. But if you play on site hit and miss. There is too many different ways to play this game that if you think I know all. You don't.

The one I played on site was actually CE, but yea...I agree.

Couldn't hear audio for anything (where's the "fun" in that). So damn noisy AND they have the machines turned down.
And it had the SDTM off the Tortuga VUK...which is funny because I was trying to figure out how I was going to deal with that when I got my game because I thought it was me.

Turns out...it wasn't me.

#7649 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol now thats funny sir! Just Honestly makes me sad that people New to the hobby join in then get frightened to death to play these amazing machines without a ton of add on protection or else and soon become frustrated with the hobby and move on. Don't get me wrong Back in the day when we were talking paint on wood and rusted balls on location these playfields did not stand a chance but overall they Did survive for a LONG time without all this self induced fear. Add to that (observation) many of the issues with reliability can often be traced back to individuals without mechanical knowledge misadjusting things and creating their own hurdles. As they say, if you Look for problems you will certainly find them!!

Quoted from zaphX:

These games are meant to be played, full stop. IF you get chipping around holes, get cliffys to hide it. Otherwise just play and enjoy it.
If you really can't live with possible playfield damage, buy a spare playfield to set aside. Someone is selling one for $800.

Yea, no...I agree!

I really just want to play it as well. Mylar(ing?) the Start Chapter Area seems like a good place, but outside of that. I mean, yea...I don't think there's any other issues. Lloyd himself mentioned adding another layer of Mylar where Man Overboard occurs since the ball drops down hard directly to the playfield.

I have the Cliffy's on order and so ... knowing that I have to remove the BP to do this... I'm not going to be in any hurry.

New flipper assemblies are on their way to me as we speak so I can hopefully be over this BP flipper issue.

I STILL need to level, clean, wax, AND fix the auto-plunger thing...but short of that.
(I do have audio clipping/static. When I plugged in headphones, it was flawless. Need to disconnect that molex connector see if it goes away. If it does, I guess I need to re-route the one specific wire or something)

I should be GOLDEN to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY !!!

I'm trying really hard for a n00b, but I'm looking forward to everything being great soon!

#7746 5 years ago

Does anyone sell Titan that also sells star posts? I see that Marco doesn't... it looks like Bay Area might. I was hoping for Marco or PBL. Are the Perfect Play close to Titan? Or are Titan just that much better? Or is just because that is what is OEM?

Also, I'm putting together an order... I have the 6 star posts and all new rings for the PoTC I just picked up used/routed a bit. All the rubbers need to be replaced (all black colored now) and I can clearly see the dimpling on the sling posts (one of them had some chipping now where the playfield wood is showing). Do I need some sort of soft washer to go under them?

As far as I can tell the game plays fine. Ship works nicely, nothing is protecting the wires so I'll do that when I install the rest of the cliffy kit that came with it. Also came with the gear mod for the spinning disc, so that was nice. Need to install. So not sure I need anything else, but open to suggestions

One more question... I recall reading here about audio clicking/cutting in and out. I believe that one of the fixes was to move some audio cables in the cabinet away from electrical? Can someone point me in the right direction?

#7748 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Does anyone sell Titan that also sells star posts? I see that Marco doesn't... it looks like Bay Area might. I was hoping for Marco or PBL. Are the Perfect Play close to Titan? Or are Titan just that much better? Or is just because that is what is OEM?
Also, I'm putting together an order... I have the 6 star posts and all new rings for the PoTC I just picked up used/routed a bit. All the rubbers need to be replaced (all black colored now) and I can clearly see the dimpling on the sling posts (one of them had some chipping now where the playfield wood is showing). Do I need some sort of soft washer to go under them?
As far as I can tell the game plays fine. Ship works nicely, nothing is protecting the wires so I'll do that when I install the rest of the cliffy kit that came with it. Also came with the gear mod for the spinning disc, so that was nice. Need to install. So not sure I need anything else, but open to suggestions
One more question... I recall reading here about audio clicking/cutting in and out. I believe that one of the fixes was to move some audio cables in the cabinet away from electrical? Can someone point me in the right direction?

That was me amongst others for the audio. You may not have the issue.

Still need to disconnect the Molex connector and test.

Pinball is only one of the projects I have been working on and unfortunately haven’t gotten back to it yet.

#7770 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Dialed In started to feel a little same-y after about a month and after 6 months I never really wanted to play it again. The route we had it on must have had a similar conclusion because earnings fell off a cliff after the first couple months. It was sold shortly after they added Theatre and Chaos City multiballs to try to break up the monotony of climbing the cell phone 3 disasters at a time, every time. It just wasn't enough of a fix to make the game fun over and over.
Fun is subjective, so that's maybe debatable, but jjPotC's music absolutely obliterates Dialed In, no contest, hands down. I'll see how I feel about jjPotC 6 months from now, but it's off to a much stronger start than Dialed In. I was already getting the "maybe this isn't so great" feeling by this point in the Dialed In relationship.

When I think of flowing, perfect audio, I think of this game. The way sound effects, musical themes, and call-outs blend is absolutely sublime. No other game matches this audio wise.

It's good to be home boys.

#7798 5 years ago

Yelobird

I have to agree. As much as I want to protect my investment, I have to understand that as long as I maintain it I should be "good" and yea I just want to play...

I get the new flipper assemblies tomorrow.

I still haven't ordered any additional mylar.
1) Extra piece on Man Overboard
2) Start Chapter Area

Need to level .. sitting at 7 degrees.

Fix the plunger issue where the shooter is hitting the auto-plunger fork. I did this already and the issue returned somehow...

HOPEFULLY fix the audio. I'm an audio guy and any imperfections slightly dampen the experience for me almost immediately.

And then I can play ... I hope! =)

#8077 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I've started working at least 12 hours of overtime each week, to make these games a viable option.

LOVE!

And much respect.

The ones that REALLY want it always seem to find a way. I'm not rich either, by no means - just very fortunate, blessed, and lucky for the time being and extremely humble.

It's just so damn cool to say you own one of these things...or more. I told someone at Best Buy earlier today and he just lit up with awe. How did this conversation possibly take place? Well, you see, I'm desiring to turn one of my spare bed rooms into a "mini" theatre. (I had an actual large size room all planned for it, but my love for pocket billiards is great). Well anyways, I was chatting about different tvs and ya know how they always have those pictures and videos playing that just look surreal? Well one of them was a pinball machine...like the ball rolling around and what not and I took note of it and the rest is history.

My "biggest" thing was just a rare flipper issue which I have the replacement parts for. I have just been lazy, reluctant, and frankly...busy. I just moved into my new home last October and there's always 2038438 things that need to get done it seems.

I'm REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to spending some quality time with this thing and knock out the "issues" that I have. BP flippers. Tighten loose flippers. Level. Install mods including disc silencer kit. Clean and Wax. Work on the plunger assembly. Work on the audio.

And THEN (I think), I can PLAY. I'll very happily keep you all very informed on my progress and probably even share some photos when it's all said and done.

GOOD times ahead!

#8305 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Check out the PinWoofer internal amp and sub. Replaces stock sub. Sounds awesome. I have two pins with them, going to put them in the rest of my pins now too.

I actually already put a Pyle 8" sub in the cab, but without an extra amp. Helps with some bass but probably does need an amp or just an external sub. Stern games do a better job here because you can boost the bass in the audio settings. C'mon JJP, catch up!

#8325 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I appreciate the response.
In other words, the amp can definitely reduce or eliminate the “muddiness” of the mids/highs which I have certainly heard.
And bass is a thing, too.
Awesome!

I think I can answer "yes" in terms of the mid range muddiness (using our speaker). There is a low pass filter whose -3dB (Fc) point is about 180Hz. Frequencies above are attenuated and frequencies below are amplified.

The highs might be improved with a speaker upgrade in the backbox.

Audio mastery plays a role as well in terms of the tonal quality but POTC has an incredible track so I'd be surprised if this were the source of the "muddiness".

Some things to consider. Hope that helps!

#8361 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve been considering trying that, as I have a spare sub left over from my move doing nothing. Where did you run the wire? Do you buy the alligator clip kits that are offered here on Pinside frequently?

Full info for anyone interested:

I hooked up a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer to my POTC as I have with all of my Stern games and my Houdini. These sound great and are relatively cheap - as little as $80 online occasionally. I think it helps with POTC's bass, but it's not as noticeable a difference to me as on my newer Stern games which I attribute to JJP's cabinet subwoofer probably being better than Stern's.

This is the cable that I have used to connect most of my subwoofers (but there are a lot of others that will work as well and you typically only need one RCA jack rather than two):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDUZ22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

On the right underside of your POTC's CPU (located behind the backbox screen), you'll find the typical (pink, green, blue(?)) sockets for audio jacks to plug into. You want to use the headphone output socket that the cabinet front headphone socket's cable is already connected to. To do so you'll need a splitter (3.5 mm male to (2) 3.5 mm females) so you can connect your subwoofer to it as well.

I ran the cable out the bottom of the cabinet through one of the ventilation openings - you'll need to pry up the screen slightly. If you use a Polk PSW 10 just follow the simple instructions that come with it for its various settings.

1 week later
#8892 4 years ago

When you have the control you'll find out It comes in handy, that is why I am adding it to WOZ. Different times of day, different needs (talking to someone while playing versus the house being empty.. etc)

Agreed. I've added external audio controls/headphone inputs to all my newer games and they're super convenient! The ability to turn the sound on/off too is handy as well. Also nice to avoid the typical speaker/subwoofer pop when turning the game on and off.

#9087 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I have to say, we shouldn’t have to be the ones engineering and figuring all this shit out.
Good example, i got one of the first Beatles golds and a couple of us reported to Stern a pretty wild airball issue right out of the gate and within a month or so Stern fabricated a nice kit that totally eliminated the issue.
JJP needs to find a reasonable solution here and f’ing stickers isn’t the fix!

Completely agree.

On another note, if anyone is following, I still have the audio issue on boot. The hissing/squeaking that continues for at least 15-20 seconds. I'm still working on my own solutions for this (which coincidentally might also work with the "pop" on boot that most games have) but, as well, I don't think I should have to solve this. Here is the video for reference: https://photos.app.goo.gl/odnbN7kq2K235JXn9

Reported to JJP tech support.

1 week later
#9388 4 years ago

Hey, for anyone who was interested in my resolution for audio "pop" at power on, here is a thread I started: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eliminating-the-dc-pop-on-game-power-on

#9465 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

yes but your also very rarely missing gold....too many times I let gold expire because I cant get the ball safe and I know as soon as I move a hand ball will go there. Also do 8-10 loops and collect all the gold before ball drains little mini game withing itself. Cutler fixes all that

from my experience that starts to go away the more you play and learn the audio clues and the timer lengths (which are pretty generous to be honest). sometimes its well worth it to sacrifice 5-10-20 gold on the table if the ball is heading into a bad spot. and it starts to get really easy to know how much gold is out on the table simply from the audio clues just because of how well the audio is designed on the game.

beckett is pretty much a 'never pick' at this point in my world. but i'll never discount that he could be utilized effectively in some way. part of the beauty of this game

#9521 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Every actor had to sign off on the artwork so I’m thinking there are some rights for them?

I believe the thing is Disney didn't own The audio and video rights of each actor. Which is different from pictures or images.

LTG : )

#9715 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Ok, I understand, thanks.
What about quality, is that better than alligator Clips?

I would imagine that standard connectors would result in higher quality audio. Can't say as to how much though as I've never used alligator clips for hooking up a sub.

#9943 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've been feeling kind of let down and irritated today. I've finally landed on a pin that I want... Pirates LE. Seems like a cruel joke now that it can't be purchased. Yes, it took me awhile to decide I really wanted this pin but in all fairness it was only on the line for a blink of an eye. They made so few of them and in my mind this is their most fun pin to play. I hesitated at first because of the theme but after playing it at MGC I was sold. I'm picky with what I buy and I always have very few pins so this kind of hurts. I have zero interest in Wonka after playing it.

Are the SEs all gone? Automated had a few last time someone posted.

I played Wonka at the NWPAS this weekend and enjoyed it as a game but not sure if I am going to grab one. So hard to tell with just a few plays and without being able to hear the audio (forgot my headphones).

#10341 4 years ago

I am a new owner for POTC. Do other people have tiny crackling sometimes in the audio - like a short tiny pop?
Also the PF-lights seem to sometimes flicker for a brief moment (under a second for sure).

Anyone with similar symptons and what's the cure?

Thanks for any info!

#10342 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I am a new owner for POTC. Do other people have tiny crackling sometimes in the audio - like a short tiny pop?
Also the PF-lights seem to sometimes flicker for a brief moment (under a second for sure).
Anyone with similar symptons and what's the cure?
Thanks for any info!

Rebalance your levels between music/fx/voice. The software doesn't do this (why? I don't know, it's not a hard task...) so if the total output of all of those put together are too much, you can clip the audio which sounds like static or crackling.

#10343 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Rebalance your levels between music/fx/voice. The software doesn't do this (why? I don't know, it's not a hard task...) so if the total output of all of those put together are too much, you can clip the audio which sounds like static or crackling.

Thanks, I will try this - I do not use the audio on very high setting, but if its a question of the mix, I will try to adjust it (I have it on factory setting).

Also the flicker on the playfield - it may actually be the topper that is flickering and it is reflected on the playfield. I have the topper set on max 32, but still there is the tiny flicker once in a while.

#10534 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Hey troz any idea when the INDISC finals will be uploaded to YouTube? It would be interesting to watch how some of the top players play POTC in a tournament.

I'm editing them still. Lots of audio sync issues and also doing some color correction. Hopefully by the end of the month. Just need to stop playing so much pirates!

#10767 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

When turning on Pirates it makes this terrible pop and crackle sound out of the speakers, is this solved with the ground loop isolator?
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/Ground-Loop-Isolator.html
Also, noticed Amazon has them at a fraction of the price, where do you install this?
amazon.com link »

Your POTC, as with all JJP games I think, has one or more GLI already in it. That being said, the JJP ones seem hit or miss and I've had to replace some because of whine/hiss. The pop/crack when a game turns on (as with most games) is the audio amp getting power without a delay/protection circuit. I started messing with a solution and I have one built for POTC and WOZ but it's not a finished product to sell. But basically it's a delay timer that cuts the speakers until the amp gets power. Thus, no pop/crack.

The POTC GLI is in the backbox, silver PC enclosure that goes between the green 1/8" audio jack on the mobo to the green (I believe) jack on the audio board. You just swap that out (or put one there if yours is somehow missing one).

#10824 4 years ago

The audio as a whole is phenomenal!

1 month later
#11757 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I hear the Shot X, Super X, when I play the game and Have No CLUE what they hell it means or what to do!!!

I think it means you hit the action button when there was no gold to collect and the lower display and audio are telling you the next award you will receive for completing the Pirate lanes.

#11761 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

so only hitting the action button and not hitting a target on the playfield....seems pretty easy.

No, you still have to hit the target after completing the inlane to get the award The audio cue comes when you hit the action button before collecting. I didn't say it gets collected when you hit it.

1 month later
#12503 4 years ago

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know about a little audio experiment I just embarked on with my friend Dan @pinwoofer

We added an amplifier to the backbox speakers and a separate amp and 8” sub to replace the existing sub. It made a huge difference. I always thought the sound was pretty decent on jjpotc but this is amazing. Definitely hearing a lot more range and sounds I didn’t know were in there. With two amps it really allows you to balance out the sounds to your liking. The bass is shaking the room. Dan was kind enough to come help me install as it was my first jjp to try one of his kits. Can’t say enough good things about his products and service.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer

#12506 4 years ago

Hey all, I've got a friend who's working on an academic project to integrate an AR experience with pinball. He's using a Raspberry Pi and will try to capture audio events by analyzing the pin's call-outs and other audio (music, sound effects, etc). If he can get this to work, we realized we could use the tech to trigger video clips. I recall someone else had been working on a small screen to replace the missing (or mostly useless) starfield on the back of POTC. There was a demo of a clip showing "Extra Ball" but without any event integration it was just a random video sample. But if my friend can get his project working we could actually add video content that syncs with the game play. Would be very cool!

#12526 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

does adding this to any machine void the Warranty?
The sound is good on the machine already, but not awesome.

Below is the JJP warranty link and "modification" is called out as being "not covered", so I read this as a broadly sweeping disclaimer about any modification. The word "void" does not appear in the document whatsoever and it's pretty clear that the warranty is for 30 days, for parts only excluding any shipping and labor, for the original purchaser:

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/jjp_warranty-updated.pdf

Our kit will make your title sound awesome and judging from the bump we had yesterday you are not alone in your sentiment about the audio. We have scores of these out there and there is nothing to worry about. I'm an EE with 25 years of experience and we definitely know what we're doing - there is no guesswork here. Cool running, fused amplifiers and safe wiring.

When we put a kit in your machine, we treat it like we're putting it in my machine. I hope you get my meaning there.

#12527 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Below is the JJP warranty link and "modification" is called out as being "not covered", so I read this as a broadly sweeping disclaimer about any modification. The word "void" does not appear in the document whatsoever and it's pretty clear that the warranty is for 30 days, for parts only excluding any shipping and labor, for the original purchaser:
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/jjp_warranty-updated.pdf
Our kit will make your title sound awesome and judging from the bump we had yesterday you are not alone in your sentiment about the audio. We have scores of these out there and there is nothing to worry about. I'm an EE with 25 years of experience and we definitely know what we're doing - there is no guesswork here. Cool running, fused amplifiers and safe wiring.
When we put a kit in your machine, we treat it like we're putting it in my machine. I hope you get my meaning there.

I can vouch for Dan's awesome kits - I agree that POTC is missing a bit in the audio department (specifically bass, like most pins). Adding PinWoofer to my (original) Monster Bash, Twilight Zone and STTNG have increased the audio quality CONSIDERABLY in all 3 games. Monster Bash now sounds like I have an external sub on it - so much so that I had to add foam to the glass surrounds because it was rattling so much! That game should sound like a rock concert - and now it does!

STTNG sounds much more full and immersive now, instead of the tinny sounds I was hearing before. And TZ (in which I have a PinSound) sounds incredible in stereo, and the music track is pulsing like it should.

I've added just the PinWoofer amp on STTNG and the full kit on other games, and having the dual-voice woofer is really important, but even the amp by itself is an order of magnitude improvement.

In the past, I've built my own solutions using an L-PAD and bigger 10" woofer, installed the Flipper Fidelity kits. Those are really good, and great ideas to enhance the game audio. But this is better.

1 week later
#12639 4 years ago

Ok, so if you guys followed the early days of my posts, you would find that I have been trying to get our beloved POTC to perform on the audio side with external subwoofer and external amps and speakers. I knew the sound was there as you can hear it when you play through headphones.

Well I took the plunge on the PinWoofer setup. When I got it I almost backed out when I saw the install instructions. Be warned this is more invasive than some mods. But I was determined to get good sound out of this.

Let me just say, if you believe this game is the GOAT, you must do this mod. The bass from the upgraded woofer goes well beyond my external Polk. It provides such a great tactile feedback that you don’t get with the external sub. It was a seamless transition between the bass and the shaker. So much so I actually had to check if the shaker was still working.

Be warned, this isn’t for everyone but for those that are keeping this game forever, I highly recommend the upgrade. This and Pinballj/Harry’s trunk mod and you are set for what I believe is one of the greatest pinball experiences ever. I did make a makeshift cover for the amp just to protect it from falling screws. Otherwise the kit has everything you need.

So, how do I get this sound in the rest of my collection?

#12641 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Ok, so if you guys followed the early days of my posts, you would find that I have been trying to get our beloved POTC to perform on the audio side with external subwoofer and external amps and speakers. I knew the sound was there as you can hear it when you play through headphones.
Well I took the plunge on the PinWoofer setup. When I got it I almost backed out when I saw the install instructions. Be warned this is more invasive than some mods. But I was determined to get good sound out of this.
Let me just say, if you believe this game is the GOAT, you must do this mod. The bass from the upgraded woofer goes well beyond my external Polk. It provides such a great tactile feedback that you don’t get with the external sub. It was a seamless transition between the bass and the shaker. So much so I actually had to check if the shaker was still working.
Be warned, this isn’t for everyone but for those that are keeping this game forever, I highly recommend the upgrade. This and Pinballj/Harry’s trunk mod and you are set for what I believe is one of the greatest pinball experiences ever. I did make a makeshift cover for the amp just to protect it from falling screws. Otherwise the kit has everything you need.
So, how do I get this sound in the rest of my collection?

Great feedback, thank you!

I'd have to agree that there is a bit of "hands over-head" due to the positioning of the backbox speakers. Also, by "invasive" we provide four screws to anchor the base-plate and a few lugs to replace the solder joints at the backbox speaker terminals but the latter actually seem like an improvement! Other than that there is no modification to the pin; everything is sourced and supplied to added electrical connectors and the backbox amp mounts with magnets. Everything can be put back to stock save four screw holes. If someone is concerned about the holes, we can supply feet and velcro circles.

I'll get with you for feedback on improving the instructions. I don't think the install is difficult, but there are a lot of steps shown to cover the gambit. They can be shortened up a bit.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your epic audio setup @villathrills !

Let a happy person live within you!

https://pinwoofer.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpinwoofer-powered-super-kit

To view, select "JJP - Late Jersey Jack Pinball" under "PLATFORM AND DUAL AMP POWER HARNESS".

#12643 4 years ago

so the announcement was not needing a usb for updates (wifi) and bluetooth audio. Whether that will come to our older games who knows. No new game as far as I know (getting close to end of year for that 2nd game) and nothing mentioned about an update.......well Wonka is getting another update with features aka a whole new game mode. Meanwhile I still cant change the settings to hard/expert. It really is getting ridiculous that we have a half finished game that is getting 0 attention in regards to finishing up the code so it is a complete game. I have a message from keith from early may where he said that it was embarrassing that presets were still not in the game . Now we are 6 months later and still nothing new.

#12645 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

so the announcement was not needing a usb for updates (wifi) and bluetooth audio. Whether that will come to our older games who knows.

Both of these are fairly trivial considering the underlying platform. I wouldn’t see why they can’t back port it for all machines. Curl/wget the update and unzip to the local file system and check local fs for updates.

I’d guess that “updates“ will be the incremental only unless they re-format the file system and use an additional boot partition. That should be good enough for most people.

It’s going to be more of an issue that they will need to get people to buy either a compatible USB wifi adaptor OR get people to use a lan cable.

Then you have the headache of people being unable to get their wifi working on the machine. There was enough problems getting people to understand how to use USB sticks!

Have people being asking for Bluetooth audio?

#12654 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I have a hobbit and an external 10” sub. I hooked it up to the black and red terminal on the sub under the playfield. Piece of cake 3 minute install. Sounds amazing. I plan to do the same with pirates.

I actually already have an external sub hooked up to my Pirates and agree that the installation is fairly simple. While the overall sound is decent, I'm open to potentially improving (replacing) it with PinWoofer. A trial Hobbit install should tell the tale regarding audio potential.

2 weeks later
#12844 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Costs are less to license with the lack of video content. Why would JJP leave money on the table?

This has been discussed to death in the past. Each actor ( 23 ) owned their own video and audio rights, not Disney, and the only Disney movie like this as far as I know.

So you have to make a deal, your people and their attorney and agent. Some might not cost much, some a lot. Then get the audio/video you want to use. Put it in the game, and get Disney's approval, and then use it or not and continue or start over.

Heaven knows how much money and time this would all chew up. Easily double the cost of the game and delay it many more years.

In spite of everything. Eric made us a great game. With what he had to work with.

1 week later
#12987 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Hmmm... I will be doing my POTC and DI as well in the near future. Looking forward to boomier ship explosions and bigger bangs.
Any tips re installation? Stuff to avoid?

Didn’t mean to derail this thread but head over to the dedicated pinwoofer thread or contact Dan directly. Super knowledgeable guy, about audio, pinball and electronics in general.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer/page/7#post-5305257

1 month later
#13590 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image]

There's the bottle!

In your... theatre room no less?

If you have audio popping, I know EXACTLY how to fix it!

4 weeks later
#14095 4 years ago

Here ya go!

Alex Tech 10ft - 1 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving for USB Charger Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable - Protect Cat D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW388KV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_YI1bYmXZFyrWB

1 week later
#14163 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

After aiming and tightening my tortuga vuk with loc-tite it still sends a ball SDTM quite often instead of to the left flipper. I happened to be working on the machine tonight (tightening one of the Pearl flippers which came loose) and saw eaglepin post above regarding the addition of foam on the plunger rest. I added this to mine and over the first several games and dozen or so times i landed in the tortuga it has been rock solid now every time to the left flipper like clockwork. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back over time. Seeming like a great tip though so far. Much appreciated!

Oh awesome to hear. I'm gonna take off the glass to do this and put something on the chapter select post to prevent those STDM and figure out what is wrong with my map hole.

I finally got the annoying audio cutting in and out fixed thanks to an owner on Facebook so I've been playing much more lately and that was annoying as hell.

#14176 4 years ago

harryhoudini and other pinball modders, I think this could be one hell of an amazing Pirates mod but I don't have the programming knowledge to pull it off. If someone can pull this maybe just sell me one of the mods at cost for the idea lol

I think that most of us Pirates owners would like to hear audio clips of the actors from the movies in the game. From what I've read there's no way to add this to existing code or add it using something like Pinball Browser for Stern games. However, maybe there is a way. What if a device running on Raspberry Pie could recognize specific sounds in the game and when heard play back a piece of audio? For example one of the chapters in the game is called "Wedding Day". When that sound is played the mod would detect it and play back a piece of audio from the film for that scene. A timer in the programming could then trigger for say 60 seconds (or time given to complete chapter mode) that recognizes additional sounds such as the individual character collect sounds and then plays back audio for that character from the scene. When the timer ends the mod knows that a specific chapter has ended or is completed.

This concept could even be taken further by using it for multiballs and wizard modes as there are specific callouts for those modes in the game. Really any audio could be played back based on what the mod detects. There's Gibbs callouts for each character when they are selected at game start. The mod could hear the character selected callout and then playback a piece of audio of the character from the films.

One time consuming part of this mod would be recording all the chapter start and character collect sounds. Then audio from the movies would need to be ripped out. There may be a gray area with licensing at that point but worse case individuals could always add the sounds themselves.

Something like this would probably be needed to tie inputs from the game and mod together so that both sources could play on the games factory speakers. Outputting the mod to its own mini speaker or something probably wouldn't sound as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-4-Channel-Passive-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B00E4X6N7I/ref=sr_1_9

#14184 4 years ago

Maybe no one watched the video... here's a screenshot. See anything interesting?[quoted image]

Oh wow I think this is the first time we've seen anything code wise altered on a JJP game outside of an official release. Awesome stuff. Looking forward to what's next!

With what you've done so far do you think it will eventually be possible to edit existing audio files?

#14186 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So many questions....

I see that there are 3 possibilities.

1. harryhoudini pulled off an amazing Jack Sparrow costume and the game simply took his picture
2. harryhoudini is really Johnny Depp and loves to create amazing pinball mods.
3. harryhoudini cracked JJP's code for Pirates!

Seriously though if this is the real deal and existing game audio can be edited then this is a game changer. Pirates is already a GOAT level pin but having callouts from all the actors in it would be incredible.

#14188 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I see that there are 3 possibilities.
1. harryhoudini pulled off an amazing Jack Sparrow costume and the game simply took his picture
2. harryhoudini is really Johnny Depp and loves to create amazing pinball mods.
3. harryhoudini cracked JJP's code for Pirates!
Seriously though if this is the real deal and existing game audio can be edited then this is a game changer. Pirates is already a GOAT level pin but having callouts from all the actors in it would be incredible.

I really don't want to be overwhelmed by the license. I'm less excited by Rick and Morty due to an overwhelming mess of repetitious clips and audio. The allure for POTC for me is the subtlety of how things click on infinite levels, versus bang you over the head with the same video and audio assets. Kinda like Wonka for this reason too.

I like the clever use of GUI that Wonka and Pirates needed, due to a lack of assets usage. Something like Rick and Morty, on the other hand, currently has plopped down full screen clips on loop, with really no clever use of the license visually, akin to all of the amazing work JP Dewinn has done on all of his games.

#14191 4 years ago

I think editing existing media assets would be the most basic thing, as you can see. Adding new assets and modifying other items is what is being worked on.

Fantastic work! If it could be manipulated like pinsound that would be amazing. I’m thinking of folders for a specific game action that will call a random audio sample out of a given folder. Endprodukt made an amazing Indiana Jones mix with some original assets. It never gets old because for any given game action, there might be five audio samples that could be called randomly.

#14195 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

One of the main reasons I bought this game is because of the lack of movie clips and actors voices. imo, that is why the game excels as it is.

I hear ya there. I don't really care about video clips as the custom assets such as the interactive map and other animations are done so well. However, just a short clip of actor audio from the corresponding movie scene a chapter is based on for when that character is collected would be awesome to hear. If it can't be done that's cool too as like ya said the game excels without those assets.

#14198 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I really don't want to be overwhelmed by the license. I'm less excited by Rick and Morty due to an overwhelming mess of repetitious clips and audio. The allure for POTC for me is the subtlety of how things click on infinite levels, versus bang you over the head with the same video and audio assets. Kinda like Wonka for this reason too.
I like the clever use of GUI that Wonka and Pirates needed, due to a lack of assets usage. Something like Rick and Morty, on the other hand, currently has plopped down full screen clips on loop, with really no clever use of the license visually, akin to all of the amazing work JP Dewinn has done on all of his games.

OT: R&M is pre Beta code, it’s a little early declare the game “an overwhelming mess of repetitious clips & audio

On topic: POTC is awesome and I will own this game someday!

2 weeks later
#14365 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I bet JJP is waiting to announce / release the code at TPF at this point. JJP has been pretty quiet in regards to big code releases over the past 6 months. They have incredibly talented staff with Keith, Ted, and Joe on the programming team. Perhaps all or most of them are working on GNR code at the moment?

I wouldn’t hold my breath. I see there being an update but it having nothing to do with what we are waiting for. Update will be something along the lines of we can now wirelessly do updates $50 bucks plz. And Bluetooth audio $50 bucks plz. I would be surprised if anything about the final wizard mode or character changes are there.

1 week later
#14464 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

whoever negotiated this license should be fired immediately.

Quoted from arzoo:

Read in a prior post that Johnny Depp (or maybe Disney) wanted 500k per movie for his voice assets.

Quoted from KingBW:

Eric said that in one of his pinball show seminars. Consider that to not just be a rumor.

This has been covered to death. Disney doesn't own the audio or video rights to their Pirates movies, the actors and actresses do. So you have to make a deal with each one. Your people contact their people. Some will be cheap, some will be expensive. Then you get the part you want and put it in the game. Then get Disney to sign off on the change to the game you are making under license from them. They can take how ever long they want. And what if the don't want it in the game ?

This would have been a nightmare of gigantic proportions that would have cost huge money and taken many, many years, if it ever got done.

Eric and JJP did an amazing job with what they had to work with. And I'm grateful they put up with Disney and made a great game.

#14474 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I agree it's amazing. I'm loving having another, such a great game. My comment was more along the lines of I'm surprised nobody has hacked into the code and added video, such as flynnsbit has done with his LCD screen conversion of Tron. JJPOTC is a pinball masterpiece.

its a huge pain in the ass. The hard drive is encrypted with the USB dongle that's on each game, and I think it checksums the assets before booting (not 100% sure if it does that). So the dongle has to be decrypted (which is available, but each owner would have to do it) and the new assets loaded in in place of existing ones. A couple weeks of work at least. And no new triggers could be added, just enhancements to the existing video/audio. Then I think there's some mild concern about JJP getting in trouble with Disney about not protecting their assets, which is part of the deal. I think Disney has a hell of a lot more to worry about right now, but it could eventually come up. Doing these games is neither as easy nor as rewarding as hacking a WPC or Spike game. Plus this game doesn't need it!

1 month later
#14881 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

That only happened once. Now the sound is going out a lot more. Is there a connection somewhere I should check?

That didn’t happen to me - but the sound is connected with a variety of plugs and such - one may just have wiggled loose. Open the backbox and check the audio cables are plugged in snug

1 week later
#14930 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What one did you order? Let me know if it works.

Installed it tonight and it didn't help. My audio still keeps going out.

#14931 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My audio doesn’t go out or clip. Just a high pitch hum/hiss in background.

#14990 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Lots of recent posts here. Going back to this one. I had (what sounds like) the same problem out of the box. If the audio randomly drops out, does it drop out with just using the headphones? If no, try to unplug the main headphone/volume control cable from the main board. Bottom right corner of the board. If then the audio drop outs go away, then it is the same as mine. Steve at JJP sent me a new harness for that and told me to run it down the right side of the pin away from the transformer. I did that, same results. I then put that harness into a cooper plated sheathing that is supposed to reduce EMF issues. That didn't work either. However moving it near or further from the speaker effected it I noticed. I gave up after messing with it for a few hours after that. I just have that harness disconnected on the main board. No headphones or volume control.

If you eventually find a solution, please PM me. Just sharing info if it is the same issue.

#14991 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Lots of recent posts here. Going back to this one. I had (what sounds like) the same problem out of the box. If the audio randomly drops out, does it drop out with just using the headphones? If no, try to unplug the main headphone/volume control cable from the main board. Bottom right corner of the board. If then the audio drop outs go away, then it is the same as mine. Steve at JJP sent me a new harness for that and told me to run it down the right side of the pin away from the transformer. I did that, same results. I then put that harness into a cooper plated sheathing that is supposed to reduce EMF issues. That didn't work either. However moving it near or further from the speaker effected it I noticed. I gave up after messing with it for a few hours after that. I just have that harness disconnected on the main board. No headphones or volume control.
If you eventually find a solution, please PM me. Just sharing info if it is the same issue.

Are there two separate unrelated audio issues? I hear people talk about drops and clipping but I don’t think I’ve experienced that one. On mine I’m hearing this faint high pitch hiss/buzz sound. These don’t sound like the same issues, correct?

#14999 3 years ago

My audio was just completely dropping out. Tried all the fixes mentioned above. Nothing helped. Slid the playfield back and must have jostled something. Now it is working again. Not sure why.

#15024 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Ok I see it on top right hand side. Looks like it goes in behind the metal cover, I’m guessing that will need to come off?
It’s not worth trying without having the isolator, I didn’t receive my replacement yet. Could have sworn someone said they unplugged and it worked.

I think the unplug statement was to unplug the other end that goes to the coin door headphone jack. Many have had good result simply unplugging that end. My personal Guess.... as a few pointed out simply moving around the playfield made it better or worse. As this is a low end audio cable I suspect the routing of said cable from the back box to the front of the game is part of the issue. To close to the power supply, routed along high voltage wires, to close to the large speaker magnet etc may be creating unique interference issues with the signal. Seems like (assumed!) a better shielded audio cable or moving it around away from power sources might be helpful as some don't have an issue other do. Again, I am Not an audio guy so these are simply observations/suggestions.

2 months later
#15446 3 years ago

Tried to ignore the "Bluetooth is easy" thing, but...

Hardware integration is a pain in the butt. It is WAY different from programming software. Plus, JJP has to pick a hardware module to use, then plan for integration and then buy 100,000 of them for installation. If they pick one that hasnt been tested
Thoroughly, or
Is constrained/missing certain features, they are screwed.

Bluetooth has about 10 different possible implementations, 6 versions in the stack, not including Bluetooth LowE, the stupid new Apple high speed implementation, and a confusing backchain update to Bluetooth Classic.

We dont know what JJP is doing with BT, is it for audio? For data updates? They are likely building on the implementation started with DI, which as a previous owner, I can tell you was super fun, but not really
Playable - more a curiosity than anything. And it probably was just an exercise for the team they just decided to release for kicks.

That said, the biggest hurdle the team likely faces is that they are integrating into a huge pile of existing code which was never intended to integrate this way. Plus as Lloyd said, if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment, it's damn hard to get stuff done,
You're always switching gears.

Still, Multimorphic added Bluetooth -AUDIO- to the P3 (I dont believe it does data Transfer which is a whole other ball of wax). I'm getting one of those later this year so I'll find out more.

I don't doubt Keith is working hard on these games, and he HAS said the game will have one more
final update - to include the final wizard mode, character changes and Bluetooth, hopefully some other surprises.

But all This is conspiring against POTC ever really being finished. I heard Keith's comments on Buffalo Pinball, and it sure didn't sound positive to me. He basically said "it'll get done when I have time someday, and you Shouldn't worry about it since
Most people Can't get to The end of the game anyway". Ok...

If it was the only game he's working on, it would have been done long ago, but the longer it takes, the more likely this "final" release date becomes a vanishing point.

Now here's a thing: I've had my game packed up for 3 months now, haven't played it in forever. Once I crank it open maybe I'll feel differently, it's a pretty awesome set of code.

#15448 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Now find a book “Pinball Wizard Modes for Dummies” and your problems are solved!

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We dont know what JJP is doing with BT, is it for audio? For data updates? They are likely building on the implementation started with DI, which as a previous owner, I can tell you was super fun, but not really Playable - more a curiosity than anything. And it probably was just an exercise for the team they just decided to release for kicks.
That said, the biggest hurdle the team likely faces is that they are integrating into a huge pile of existing code which was never intended to integrate this way. Plus as Lloyd said, if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment, it's damn hard to get stuff done,

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

You wouldn’t even know it was “incomplete” if it wasn’t labeled version .99 and weren’t told there would be a final wizard mode.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

#15449 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult".

Ok here's why you're wrong. One year of CS class in college doth not a programmer make.
That's like trying to say brain surgery should be easy because you watched season of ER.

There are a million things you're glossing over.

- New user interface code has to be crafted to guide the user through the pairing process.
- How does the game handle the audio, is it simultaneous with the speakers or does it replace them?
- Does the audio stay in sync with the gameplay?
- Does the bluetooth stack have any ill effects with the existing code that need to be worked around?
- Can the game code handle the paired device being taken away gracefully?

Quoted from GnarLee:

Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

I didn't "scam" anything. JJP very graciously sent me a playfield for my LE. I still contend that once you conceal the issues, it is not a game-ruining thing. I sold my LE because a very close friend made me a very good deal on his CE, which I helped unbox myself when new. It was an offer I could not refuse. I did not profit on the LE sale, I paid the kindness I received forward.

In fact, when I sold the LE I emailed Jack to cancel_ the LE playfield request, but I ended up getting one anyway...the order was probably in queue already. I will find something positive to do with it for someone who can use it.

And yes the CE has playfield issues too. Chipping around sling posts hidden by the star post/washer fix, and there was some lumpiness around the Tortuga scoop which I flattened with the playfield iron (thanks @yelobird) before installing cliffys. I will purchase my own CE playfield at some point as a backup and I intend to pay full price for it.

GnarLee you and I have never really gotten off on the right foot. I hope that someday post-COVID we can meet up at TPF for a beer or something. I suspect we probably agree on more than we disagree on.

1 month later
#15659 3 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

A grateful longtime member, I have now left the club. I have a really scarce Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge 27x40 theatrical poster in like new shape, rolled for sale for $50. Looked perfect next to my game framed, will next to yours. If interested, shoot me a PM. Thank you for the wonderful times and many blessings.[quoted image]

One last thing. I have a tremendous noise cancelling audio solution for LE and CE owners from Parrot Zik, with case, extra battery and super long aux cable. Really makes the immersion of the game go to new heights, and your family/friends will thank you too, for the additional quiet. $100 shipped. Please PM me if interested

20201004_150937 (resized).jpg20201004_150937 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#16280 3 years ago

Should ye be ready we're getting ready to light up yer toppers. Pre-order is open for our Topper Lighting Enhancement mod. We expect to ship the first batch in 2-3 weeks.
https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/topper-flames-lighting-potc

Looks great! Love how video is POTC but audio is R&M

4 weeks later
#16504 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I’m noticing some static noises occasionally during gameplay from the speakers , sometimes .. any suggestions ?

I'd make sure the audio jack is well seated in the motherboard. Also potentially replace the ground loop filter with another one.

2 months later
#16856 2 years ago

I highly recommend a ground loop isolator to reduce audio hum. I installed one on POTC, DI, and Hobbit. Of course, if yours doesn't have any hum then no worries!

I'll second the opening chest mod; I'm not a mod guy but this one makes a huge difference. It's actually helpful during gameplay too because it's much easier to tell at a glance if the ball lock is engaged.

5 months later
#17285 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Thanks for posting this info! I wish I had seen it sooner though as I was able to finally get on Telegram; and find, download and then upload the new code into my POTC last evening, but this info would have made the process much clearer than it was.
I have not done anything with Scorbit yet though and have a potentially dumb question now: Do I need both a WiFi and Bluetooth dongle for each of my games to do so? I was thinking I only needed a WiFi dongle and could just attach it to the USB socket provided inside the cabinet near the coinbox.

I asked this same -not at all- dumb question! Yes you only need the wifi dongle. However, if you want to connect the game audio to your stereo or headphones, the Bluetooth dongle can be used for that. I also connected a wifi dongle I just had laying around and it worked immediately.

JJP guys mentioned that most 2.4GHz (I.e. cheaper but somewhat slower) dongles work. If it “just works” and takes 5 minutes vs 2 minutes to download… yeah I can wait.Scorbit is near instant

#17286 2 years ago

Thanks for posting this info! I wish I had seen it sooner though as I was able to finally get on Telegram; and find, download and then upload the new code into my POTC last evening, but this info would have made the process much clearer than it was.
I have not done anything with Scorbit yet though and have a potentially dumb question now: Do I need both a WiFi and Bluetooth dongle for each of my games to do so? I was thinking I only needed a WiFi dongle and could just attach it to the USB socket provided inside the cabinet near the coinbox.

Late for sure but happy to hear that you've made it through. Hopefully this now helps a few along the way and you have confirmation that the bluetooth is currently for the Audio. I am not using that at the moment but ordered the dongle at the same time. They're so inexpensive now.

The Telegram group is pretty cool, it's amazing how helpful the members and JJP Team are. I had a few Scorbit questions around dinner time and I had plenty of pointers as to what to change to get where I was going. The current Beta 2 code does have a known date/time issue(s) which is being worked on now that they are back from the last show. This was shared with me after posting what I thought to be a bug with the date/time. They also said that an incorrect date/time might cause issues with the Scorbit so we wait for another round of fixes and we'll see. I'll take whatever we can get with all of the code updates. I do love the pin.

2 months later
#17410 2 years ago

Pirates is my favorite JJP, by far. I personally wouldn't trade it for a different JJP. They are all interesting to me, and Wonka is fun, but I think the audio annoys me too much to want to own it. Reminds me of this.

grinch_ad (resized).jpggrinch_ad (resized).jpg
#17411 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

That stinks. I got one second hand before prices went crazy on them….thank goodness. I would like to add a Wonka to the lineup. Looking for one near me at a reasonable price.

I am seeing new LE's for sale. Dist. said JJP made 200 more Wonka's before Christmas. See some used ones up to about $1K less. Probably a good time to snag one.

Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I have both , I go back and forth - right now I’m leaning Wonka

Thanks for you input. So cool you have both of these awesome games.

I have both as well and enjoy Pirates more.
FWIW, I like all 5 of my JJP games, but Pirates is definitely my favorite. I need to get more time in on Wonka and GnR though.

What do you think it is you like more about Pirates? Seems like a super deep game. You can choose from a ton of characters. Does code feel finished?

Quoted from Stef95:

I would like to own a wonka. I hesitate to sell my Potc but I'm afraid I'll regret it. I really like it but wonka looks really great too!! He looks like he has a great code. The problem with Potc is that I will surely find some money before finding another one to sell... The ideal would be to have both.

Unless these ballooned prices crash somehow you are probably right. I have sold a game or two I wish I had not. Better play it safe and hang on to Pirates if you really like it. As for Wonka only owned just under one month. But I can tell(for me) this game is a keeper for sure. Can't think of a game that has made me want to play one more game, and another... Seems super solid and finished on code and very well done. There is a good deal of variety to the call outs and how things roll out. Makes each game seem new/different and I really like that. Lots of little surprises around every corner but nothing dangerous.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Pirates is my favorite JJP, by far. I personally wouldn't trade it for a different JJP. They are all interesting to me, and Wonka is fun, but I think the audio annoys me too much to want to own it. Reminds me of this.
[quoted image]

Thats funny. I think the audio fits the movie very well but this theme may not be for everyone.

#17419 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Thanks for you input. So cool you have both of these awesome games.

What do you think it is you like more about Pirates? Seems like a super deep game. You can choose from a ton of characters. Does code feel finished?

Yeah - I'm playing the current beta version and it plays great! To be sure, I'm awaiting certain polishes along with a final wizard mode yet, but in the meantime POTC has damn fine code. Very satisfying - even "unfinished" as it is. Not everyone's perfect game by any means either (currently anyway), but no game ever has been.

For me, it's all about the vibe that a games exudes (via its collective elements of artwork, audio, layout, callouts, mechs, etc.). Even though it doesn't have actual film clips with actors (which it often catches flack for), it does a fabulous job of capturing the POTC movie franchise environment that is not only cool to see and hear, but also plays really well with a wide variety of shots that only a well designed widebody layout can offer! Love all the character options, film related multiballs, and the multiple strategy paths (modes vs movie chapters) to reaching a wizard mode to name a few of the game's strong points!

#17420 2 years ago

I’d have to let Wonka LE go before Pirates LE. Pirates is something special and that rocking pirate ship with the flickering lanterns had me sold the second I played the game at PAGG! Add the closing treasure chest, Lior and other tasteful mods puts that game over the top! The audio on Wonka does get annoying and repetitive after a while. I love both games and they are both keepers. I’m confident the final code for Pirates will come given the recent beta code release.

2 months later
#17594 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Where exactly did you disconnect the headphone jack cable? That's what I'm missing. Glad to hear that should fix the issue for good, the tribal knowledge in Pinside is amazing.

Hey darkryder ! I believe below is what you did but perhaps you can double check since it is notorious on Pirates:

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/jersey-jack-pinball-how-to-fix-popping-audio/

There are other things we can do just give a shout if you need further assistance.

By the way I agree, Pirates - what a masterpiece!

Thanks,

Dan
https://PinWoofer.com
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

2 months later
#17726 1 year ago

Ok now another issue, the volume button works perfectly but i dont have audio from the headphones when i plug it in. It detect the headphone is plugged but nothing comes from the headphones (yes i played with the volume)
Any idea where it connect in the blackbox?
Thanks

6 months later
#18187 1 year ago

FYI Guys.... For anyone who is running Beta code version 5 there is a headphone jack issue where the audio will switch over to the headphones but there will be no audio in the headphones. I spent the last couple days trying to trouble shoot this with the help of others to find out that it is a code issue so I wanted to let you all know.

Happy Sailing!

ps. The beta team is aware of this issue so hopefully it will be corrected in a future update as they did say they would work on it.

2 months later
#18348 1 year ago

Hi guys. Just picked up my 2nd PotC today from a friend. I hope it never leaves this time. Unfortunately I am having so issues.

This is the error message I am getting. Note that this is not the Maelstorm switch past the diverter, it’s saying there’s another switch at the entrance?? Is this switch in the subway? Please see the picture for the error message #2.

I also had an error message about the ship target bullseye (not just the moving ship) but I just reached into the ship and activated the switch and the message has gone away.

Finally, and most concerning, is that there is a lot of static coming from the speakers all the time … whenever the game is on, even in attract mode. I located the mic cable that’s on the right side of the head of the machine and connected to the green Jack on the “computer” and disconnected it the sound decreased significantly but still there … and of course this isn’t a solution because I get no audio at all this way. Funny enough, if I put the mic Jack in my hand I can hear a radio station through the speakers. Haha Anyways does this mean I need to replace this mic cable? It looks kind of weird/twisted but I think maybe that’s how it’s made? Please see the picture #1.

Anyway help would be great. This is the my all time favourite game!

0A13CA91-93AD-4DC0-9A03-99E1FC52219C (resized).jpeg0A13CA91-93AD-4DC0-9A03-99E1FC52219C (resized).jpeg989F403F-373F-4E9E-B846-16C1FF570083 (resized).jpeg989F403F-373F-4E9E-B846-16C1FF570083 (resized).jpeg
#18350 1 year ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Hi guys. Just picked up my 2nd PotC today from a friend. I hope it never leaves this time. Unfortunately I am having so issues.
This is the error message I am getting. Note that this is not the Maelstorm switch past the diverter, it’s saying there’s another switch at the entrance?? Is this switch in the subway? Please see the picture for the error message #2.
I also had an error message about the ship target bullseye (not just the moving ship) but I just reached into the ship and activated the switch and the message has gone away.
Finally, and most concerning, is that there is a lot of static coming from the speakers all the time … whenever the game is on, even in attract mode. I located the mic cable that’s on the right side of the head of the machine and connected to the green Jack on the “computer” and disconnected it the sound decreased significantly but still there … and of course this isn’t a solution because I get no audio at all this way. Funny enough, if I put the mic Jack in my hand I can hear a radio station through the speakers. Haha Anyways does this mean I need to replace this mic cable? It looks kind of weird/twisted but I think maybe that’s how it’s made? Please see the picture #1.
Anyway help would be great. This is the my all time favourite game!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The ship bullseyes target is normal, it will alert if jot hit for a certain time. If you activate it and goes away should be all good
For the noise, dpis your machine equiped with pinwoofer?
There is two things you can do, change the ground loop isolator from the headbox, it s a rectangle black little box connected to the audio out of the motherboard.
Second thing, disconnect the headphone connector from the motherboard, this was my issue onmy potc. Downside, you will loose the optionto connect a headphone...

#18355 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any suggestions on where to start to see if something is loose?

I'd check solder connections on all speakers. Then reseat and clean RCA connectors for audio.

3 weeks later
#18372 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check solder connections on all speakers. Then reseat and clean RCA connectors for audio.

Interesting.
I have this exact problem on my woz but haven't gotten around to troubleshoot it yet other that to note jiggling the audio cables seem to reproduce it/ briefly fix it. Unsure if cable issue or jack issue...

2 months later
#18476 9 months ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I think hobbit had an official release with WiFi at some point. I don’t think POTC .99 has WiFi

POTC doesn't in .99. That's why you need to join the Beta and go thru the updates which include the WiFi, Equalizer, Presets and fixing a few audio clipping issues. If your more comfortable just with the character changes, stay with .99

2 weeks later
#18534 8 months ago

Topper arrived today! I had an Elite Topper this one has the same level of build quality and is probably a little nicer done. Definatly a MUCH better value.

First impressions:

The topper was packed well and arrived with no damage to the unit or box.
The topper comes with no documentation (at least mine didn’t).

The topper is not plug and play with the factory topper wiring. It has two power adapters and a Y splitter so you can chain both power bricks together and and run them off the service outlet.
(I used a power strip that connects to the service outlet then has a lead to an open USB on the motherboard and turns the power on and off with the game).

After removing the factory topper and LED channel simply set the new one on and pre drill between 2-4 holes using the holes in the topper as a guide.
Use the supplied screws to mount. Screws are very small I believe the are #4 - 1/4”

The topper has 3 remotes:
Two are exactly the same and as far as I can tell they only turn the led strip for the waves on and off.
The other remote is for the screen - I couldn’t get the power button or any of the others I press to do anything except for the volume. The topper does have audio for the waves and lightening playing. I set the volume just loud enough to mask the sound of the motor.

I emailed the seller to ask if there is a manual or guide for the topper / remote as I know he said you can add video.

Issues:
Upon unboxing my ship wasn’t working correctly I could see the motor spinning but the ship wasn’t moving. A little dissembly and I tightened the screw that mounted the ship to the motor and I was in business. Luckily I thought to plug it in and check before I mounted it. I removed 15 small screws to get at the ship to tighten the screw.
IMG_4620 (resized).jpegIMG_4620 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#18586 5 months ago

This game always calls me back. Even after getting other new and exciting pins along the way, I'm back to pressing the start button on Pirates within a week. It could only have been made during that window of time when the design philosophy was still 'more is more'. The mechs make it a standout, but the audio, lighting, artwork, and shot variety all help create a perfect storm that keeps me thinking about it even when I am not playing. I'll keep this game for as long as I am collecting pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "audio".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tq=audio&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.