(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 378.
#4901 5 years ago

To be clear we did remove the pearl from the mounts, but we didn’t pull it completely out of the game. We did have to cut a zip tie to give us enough slack in the wires.

#4902 5 years ago

Here's a thought. Would it be a good idea to disable the flippers while selecting your character at the beginning of a game? And how about leaving the previously-chosen character selected when starting a new game?

#4903 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

Here's a thought. Would it be a good idea to disable the flippers while selecting your character at the beginning of a game? And how about leaving the previously-chosen character selected when starting a new game?

I like this idea. Flippers should be dead when selecting a character. Good thought.

#4904 5 years ago

Man I would have thought they had a handle on that broken wire by now!

#4905 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Man I would have thought they had a handle on that broken wire by now!

Seriously. Thanks zaph by the way..the solder worked!

On a side note, we've had a few posts of "No QC issues at all, vast majority of POTCs have had zero issues, the people posting are just a very small minority". Those posts really irritate me.

Back to silver ball!

#4906 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Seriously. Thanks zaph by the way..the solder worked!
On a side note, we've had a few posts of "No QC issues at all, vast majority of POTCs have had zero issues, the people posting are just a very small minority". Those posts really irritate me.
Back to silver ball!

Woohoo! Glad it worked!
The people who are saying the vast majority have no issues are mistaken, based on my 3 unboxing experiences.
There are too many common recurring issues to make that assertion. This wire issue is a great example which has happened to several people.

My #1 goal with collecting these fixes is to help people play their games on unboxing day.

#4907 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The people who are saying the vast majority have no issues are mistaken

Agreed. I have been bummed with the issues and I have still to get the auto-plunger right, yet I love the game even with the problems and have played it almost every day since it arrived in November and rarely turn on my other machines. However, it has made me wary of buying another Jersey Jack machine in the future. It was just too much money to spend to have so many issues that were due to poor design or quality control issues and not related to ordinary game play.

#4908 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Turned on the ol' NIB LE today and Switches 9,10, and 12 are stuck open and don't respond/activate when you press the targets manually. These are the BONUS, X, and LOAD targets on the Pearl.
Also, there is no foam behind the BONUS and X targets on the Pearl.
Any ideas?[quoted image]

No foam behind mine either.

I have something going on behind/under the upper playfield, balls get stuck there and running coil tests doesn’t bring up anything. Can’t see where the ball is getting stuck or hung up.

#4909 5 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I completely agree about the QC concerns at JJP. So much so that it had delayed my purchase of POTC. However, I did finally pull the trigger on an LE from Chris at KingPin Games. Here is what I decided to do to ensure my game has the best chance of arriving at my door in the best possible shape.
I am paying Chris extra to open my game and tweak it for me. He is going to install the Cliffy set, ModCouple disc silencer, new Titan rubber set and the Tilt side art blades. He will then playtest it and dial it in perfectly before shipping it out to me in a wooden crate. Chris follows this thread closely and is aware of what needs to be checked out, so I feel I am in very good hands.
I do realize that there are a number of things that can still happen in shipping from KingPin to me, but I'm ok with that. Most of the issues I'm seeing don't seem related to shipping anyway. I'm just trying to save myself as much frustration and downtime as possible.
I am not saying this is an acceptable solution. Not by a long-shot. But hopefully, JJP is paying attention and is trying to take steps to improve their quality control, so that in the future, their customers don't feel the need to pay 'extra' to help ensure a working product out of the box.

I think with the amount of money we pay for this game (even more here in Australia) This last step should be taken by JJP before shipping, and not a third party to whom we need to pay even more to, so the game plays “right” out of the box.

#4910 5 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

I was having the same problem with the chest lock. The pinballs would magnetize in just a few plays. I changed the originals bc they seems to be garbage and were getting scratched very easily. Don't use ninja's, as they magnetize very quickly as well. I just purchased some new pinballs from Marco....so far so good.

So which ones you got? Agree that the ones that came with the game are crappy and also got magnetised straight away though I haven’t had any issues after day one. I was thinking of getting Ninja Ones but then read this... thanks

#4911 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

No foam behind mine either.
I have something going on behind/under the upper playfield, balls get stuck there and running coil tests doesn’t bring up anything. Can’t see where the ball is getting stuck or hung up.

Check the pearl VUK power. Default is 32. It was shipped low on one machine which was causing VUK launches to fail and balls to fall back there.

#4912 5 years ago

LE number 229, manufacturing date 2/4/19
has arrived. So far my only issue was the Peal not moving. Fixed and now seems fine.

#4913 5 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

LE number 229, manufacturing date 2/4/19
has arrived. So far my only issue was the Peal not moving. Fixed and now seems fine.

For documentation, what was the cause/fix? Was it adjusting the bar behind the backbox?

#4914 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

For documentation, what was the cause/fix? Was it adjusting the bar behind the backbox?

Yes that is correct. At first it seemed to work fine. After a few test games, it would not move at all. Couldnt get it to move in test menu either. I adjusted the bar which attaches the Pearl to the motor. Now all seems fine.

#4915 5 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

Yes that is correct. At first it seemed to work fine. After a few test games, it would not move at all. Couldnt get it to move in test menu either. I adjusted the bar which attaches the Pearl to the motor. Now all seems fine.

Awesome. Same issue mine had then. Glad you were able to quickly find and fix it! I was hosed for a couple days on mine.

#4916 5 years ago

Love this pin!
Agree with issues, QC needs to be addressed (spanked)!
There should some things that should be fixed by now! Especially the BP wire issue! That was a early issue along ground wire covering leg bolt holes.
Still a great pin with great depth, shots sound clips and GI action.
Superb job Gents, now go kick QC in the arrrrrse and square them away!
YARRRRRRRR!

#4917 5 years ago

Wowza. Had my game for only about a week now and must say I'm enjoying the f*ck out of it. Feels like a genuine masterpiece, congrats to everyone involved. That is all.

#4918 5 years ago

First off let me say greatest and most helpful owners/owners thread ever!

So last week a ball went missing. I mean I pull up the playfield, eject all the balls...go into every nook and cranny and I can’t find the damn thing. So I grab a spare ball and go back to pirating.

Happens again today but I see where it went and get it. Now this time when I have the glass off I find last weeks lost ball. I guess at some point during a multi ball a ball got lodged behind the left pearl flipper in a way that still allowed everything to work. It’s kind of dark there and I never noticed. lol

DFFA4C66-5ED3-4262-A18D-D11B86A1F7EF (resized).jpegDFFA4C66-5ED3-4262-A18D-D11B86A1F7EF (resized).jpeg
#4919 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

So last week a ball went missing. I mean I pull up the playfield, eject all the balls...go into every nook and cranny and I can’t find the damn thing. So I grab a spare ball and go back to pirating.
Happens again today but I see where it went and get it. Now this time when I have the glass off I find last weeks lost ball. I guess at some point during a multi ball a ball got lodged behind the left pearl flipper in a way that still allowed everything to work. It’s kind of dark there and I never noticed. lol
[quoted image]

Thanks for posting! Now I know where it may have gone if one goes missing.

Also on this note. Couple of places where the ball got stuck on one of my last games...

First one, only happened once, second one keeps happening, have to hit side so it drops down (any fix?)

E39E6BED-A817-4C61-9B4A-FA0E19D93A97 (resized).jpegE39E6BED-A817-4C61-9B4A-FA0E19D93A97 (resized).jpeg7FEE39B6-19CB-465E-A5A6-4CEE4CF76744 (resized).jpeg7FEE39B6-19CB-465E-A5A6-4CEE4CF76744 (resized).jpeg
#4920 5 years ago

Anyone had any issues with spot lights? Couple started flickering and then stopped working, when I had a closer look, they were loose/unsoldered. Have some other white ones but way too bright. Anyone know where to get the ones the game brings from? Thanks!

2D013F3F-3957-47C5-BA29-E042745C06BC (resized).jpeg2D013F3F-3957-47C5-BA29-E042745C06BC (resized).jpeg
#4921 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Also on this note. Couple of places where the ball got stuck on one of my last games...
First one, only happened once, second one keeps happening, have to hit side so it drops down (any fix?)[quoted image][quoted image]

There should be a clear cabinet bumper right under the "D" in Man Overboard to prevent this. Is yours in the right spot?

See photo:

IMG_0564 (resized).jpegIMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
#4922 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Anyone had any issues with spot lights? Couple started flickering and then stopped working, when I had a closer look, they were loose/unsoldered. Have some other white ones but way too bright. Anyone know where to get the ones the game brings from? Thanks![quoted image]

Yes, the spots are a trouble spot I've seen in 3/3 machines. Some fixes I used in the guide at http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes.

Also there is a drop-in replacement suggested by Yelobird https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax12v.htm

#4923 5 years ago

RPZ also look at the angle of the shooter rails in my photo vs yours - mine is further right which puts a rail where your ball is stuck. Might want to loosen the nut and adjust.

#4924 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

[quoted image]

Ok that is a bit funny. At least now for you. Bet you thought maybe there was a Literal code setting to plunder ball. lol I am embarrassed to admit how many times this happens to me in any pinball game. Ball just disappears as if by magic than reappears weeks later. Right in front of my face of coarse...

#4925 5 years ago

Tortuga Tom fell overboard, and Jack went to look for him,unable to find him he decided to have a grand time at Tortuga . but poor Tom is stranded on a deserted Island !

20190228_191856 (resized).jpg20190228_191856 (resized).jpg20190302_120818 (resized).jpg20190302_120818 (resized).jpg
#4926 5 years ago

Jack’s sword doesn’t get in the way?

#4927 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Tortuga Tom fell overboard, and Jack went to look for him,unable to find him he decided to have a grand time at Tortuga . but poor Tom is stranded on a deserted Island !
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks much better! That Tom figure was just out of place. Amazed to see that was actually a figure, I assumed JJP just had a knock off pirate made to fill the spot. Great job!

#4928 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

His sword arm needs to be up, like in the picture I attached. that way he clears the glass, wire guide, and side cabinet.
I hot glued the hands, arms, run bottle, and sword in place...so, they stay the way I put them. and nothing goes flying off!

AF9727CB-199F-4BC2-85FE-E63EFC987BBA (resized).pngAF9727CB-199F-4BC2-85FE-E63EFC987BBA (resized).png

#4929 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes, the spots are a trouble spot I've seen in 3/3 machines. Some fixes I used in the guide at http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes.
Also there is a drop-in replacement suggested by yelobird https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax12v.htm

Thanks Mate!

Yelobird did you find this “frosted” style better than the ones that came with the game? Also which white out of 2 options you found better?

Thanks!

#4930 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Thanks Mate!
yelobird did you find this “frosted” style better than the ones that came with the game? Also which white out of 2 options you found better?
Thanks!

I opted for the natural myself. As for the frosted that just helps defuse the light so the spread the light out rather than look like spot lights on one spot. Work and look great.

#4931 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks much better! That Tom figure was just out of place. Amazed to see that was actually a figure, I assumed JJP just had a knock off pirate made to fill the spot. Great job!

I don't think it was actually a figure.. I glued him to Jack's legs after I cut Jack in half lol. and the tree and stand came with jack also.

#4932 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

As he is posed here everything clears barely. I'll probably trim the sword and glue up his hand and stuff as pinzzz suggests.

20190303_083229 (resized).jpg20190303_083229 (resized).jpg
#4933 5 years ago

Man, really liking those inner art blades!

#4934 5 years ago

More pics of these blades please!

#4935 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

More pics of these blades please!

VillaThrills was kind enough to post these shots previously:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/82#post-4845096

Quoted from zaphX:

Streaming POTC from my Texas game room now! http://twitch.tv/nspinball

Thanks @zaphX - these have helped to scratch my "itch" for quality Pirates streams!

Now following on Twitch.

#4936 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Anyone had any issues with spot lights? Couple started flickering and then stopped working, when I had a closer look, they were loose/unsoldered. Have some other white ones but way too bright. Anyone know where to get the ones the game brings from? Thanks![quoted image]

All of mine have failed. Recommend replacing with flashers (reminder these are 12v!!!) that don’t have two parts to separate.

https://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=8SMDFLASH

#4937 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

First one, only happened once, second one keeps happening, have to hit side so it drops down (any fix?)[quoted image][quoted image]

Argh wish I had a pic but I had a ball trap wayyyy up in the wire nest under the Pearl! Totally invisible until I pulled the ship.

#4938 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Argh wish I had a pic but I had a ball trap wayyyy up in the wire nest under the Pearl! Totally invisible until I pulled the ship.

That same trap happened to my friend. I haven't seen it yet myself. I think we're gonna need some kind of protector around that hole.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.28.12 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.28.12 PM (resized).png
#4939 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Man, really liking those inner art blades!

Ya there's nice and there on a thicker back not just a decal. I was thinking the black mirror blades would be nice but at 200
The art blades were a good deal.I would definitely get the blade protecters

#4940 5 years ago

Confused how they still don’t have all the kinks worked out yet before these games are leaving the factory

#4941 5 years ago

Wow my game must have got banged up in shipping or left the factory with a very loose screw. The metal rails that should go under and to the side of the shooter lane where above it, the screw that kept them down was out and in the cab. There was also a rusty little screw in the slit for the shooter lane switch. Didn’t even notice it until I had all the lights on in the basement. Can’t seem to find where it would go and it is rusty and gnarly looking, I don’t believe it was “new” on 2/12/19 when the game was made. I’ll post a pic soon.

For the ball trap under the pearl posted above I haven’t got that yet. I have got what must be the ball not triggering the pearl vuk but I’m not sure how or where it is. Ball search doesn’t find it but if you lift the game up a foot and a half or so it’ll pop up the pearl vuk in a second. The game is leveled around 6.5 but I’ll mess with different settings. If the ball is stuck there firing the coil in test doesn’t launch it either. I just can’t see where the ball is while it’s stuck. I’d have to take off the upper playfield to see under why’s going on but it’s gotta be a trap around the vuk.

#4942 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Wow my game must have got banged up in shipping or left the factory with a very loose screw. The metal rails that should go under and to the side of the shooter lane where above it, the screw that kept them down was out and in the cab. There was also a rusty little screw in the slit for the shooter lane switch. Didn’t even notice it until I had all the lights on in the basement. Can’t seem to find where it would go and it is rusty and gnarly looking, I don’t believe it was “new” on 2/12/19 when the game was made. I’ll post a pic soon.
For the ball trap under the pearl posted above I haven’t got that yet. I have got what must be the ball not triggering the pearl vuk but I’m not sure how or where it is. Ball search doesn’t find it but if you lift the game up a foot and a half or so it’ll pop up the pearl vuk in a second. The game is leveled around 6.5 but I’ll mess with different settings. If the ball is stuck there firing the coil in test doesn’t launch it either. I just can’t see where the ball is while it’s stuck. I’d have to take off the upper playfield to see under why’s going on but it’s gotta be a trap around the vuk.

I've removed those screws before on games to install shooter lane Cliffys and they are always very tight. How one of those types of screws could be loose is beyond me. Either the screw was never put in all the way or the screw hole was stripped. If the screw was properly installed there's no way it would come lose during shipping. This is the type of item that QC should and needs to be catching.

#4943 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I received my NIB LE yesterday. It is LE 62. I see other people receiving games now around 160 -170. Was hoping for a newer model. Didn't think they would have these older ones still around. Any kinks I should be looking for out of the box?
Thanks

So LE 62 was made on 1/21/19. I haven't really followed the production of this game. I watched SDTM video on youtube which was explained the game shots and brief rules/code before I bought it. The 3 spinning discs were in the video. I had no clue it was gotten rid of. Kind of bummed about that. Also, I didn't get any hardware with the plastic topper. Is is supposed to come with hardware?

Thanks

Gerry

#4944 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Confused how they still don’t have all the kinks worked out yet before these games are leaving the factory

They do have some of the kinks worked out.

You don't know the build order of some of these games. Things were improved as production rolled on.

LTG : )

#4945 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

The 3 spinning discs were in the video. I had no clue it was gotten rid of. Kind of bummed about that.

No spinning map? At all? Isn’t someone selling a kit to quiet its spinning? I’m confused.

#4946 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

The 3 spinning discs were in the video. I had no clue it was gotten rid of. Kind of bummed about that.

Changed and covered here on Pinside. A lot.

Changed to a single spinning disc, which grabs the ball better. The three discs are onw in video on the big screen in the backbox.

There should be some screws to fasten topper to the trac on the top of the backbox.

#4947 5 years ago

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a link to new flipper rubbers. I can't believe I've gone thru mine already!
Thanks

#4948 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a link to new flipper rubbers. I can't believe I've gone thru mine already!
Thanks

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/926

#4949 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Changed and covered here on Pinside. A lot.
Changed to a single spinning disc, which grabs the ball better. The three discs are onw in video on the big screen in the backbox.
There should be some screws to fasten topper to the trac on the top of the backbox.

It was surprising how little effect the triple disks had on the ball on the prototype can I played. They were really cool to look at but the loudness of the mech, reliability, and the lack of an effect on the balls makes the new single disk with the animated awards much better.

#4950 5 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone listened to the Kaneda review of Pirates that he put out yesterday, but I definitely have issues with the way he's approached the game.

I think the market exists for two current purposes, home ownership, and onsite play. Stern takes the approach of immediate accessibility. Within five minutes of walking up to many Stern games, there's a sense of direction, and an understanding of goals and gratification to some degree. Whereas with JJP I've walked away from many of their games, and after five minutes have found just an elementary sense of flow and rule structure.

I feel that's where he's missing the mark here. Accessibility isn't the targetted market for JJP. And sans a more fleshed out license, @hoggbogg couldn't approach the table in the same way the Hobbit was created. The Hobbit has a definite story structure, but does that make it a better game for it or more beholden to the license?

Pirates is an impeccable game for creating layers of modes, game objectives, and multi-ball that feels frenetic in a way I haven't experienced before in a pin.

When I was lucky enough to have played the game at JJP in Jersey last summer, I walked away in awe at the whole upper ship playfield, the expansiveness of character selection, and it's elegant wide body form. I also walked away scratching my head, and having little clue what I was playing.

Months later of playing the game on-site, as well as watching multiple JJP streams and the Deadflip one, I'm now in awe not just of it's aesthetics, but of the layered synergies and dynamic gameplay this game brings to the market, and brings it in an exciting and nuanced way I haven't experienced in ages. It's a technical game, it's a dense game, and that combination most of all makes it....a FUN game!

Not every game needs the same adherence to design, narrative structure, or playfield layout.
Even if a game doesn't click with me within that initial five minute mark, I'd much more prefer it did at the fifty minute mark. That proves it has legs past the initial low bar accessibility that I often see in older games of the classic era or in some modern Sterns, and for that I am not disappointed, but gleeful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Wanted
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/99?hl=nighttrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.