(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 377.
#3201 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Lets see here.. [quoted image]

Oops. RTFM’d!

I should have guessed it was in there. The manual is quite good.

#3202 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oops. RTFM’d!
I should have guessed it was in there. The manual is quite good.

The manual is amazing and most will never know it

#3203 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

The manual is amazing and most will never know it

Not sure what you mean by "most will never know it". It is too bad that the printed manual (all of JJP's manuals are great) is only included with the CE but it is available for the rest of us in the parts section of JJP's web site for the POTC. I ordered one for my LE today.

#3204 5 years ago

External sub hooked up!
Much happier, I still get some pop in the head speakers unsure as to why. But I am much happier with the sound. I was against having something under my pins other than my dog. But he does not mind!
Had to make some adjustments, R/chapter sling leaf switch stuck closed, Also had to stick my finger in the Dauntless since I had not made it in awhile. All good other then that. Will be installing the silencer kit from
Yelobird have not had the time yet.

#3205 5 years ago

I've only had this game for three weeks, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the difficulty still, so is my wife. I'm hoping time will bring the enjoyment back.
She keeps drifting back to Dialed In and I keep drifting back to Iron Maiden. :/

#3206 5 years ago

Did anyone ever make a set of acrylic protectors in the smoked gray that was requested?

#3207 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I've only had this game for three weeks, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the difficulty still, so is my wife. I'm hoping time will bring the enjoyment back.
She keeps drifting back to Dialed In and I keep drifting back to Iron Maiden. :/

And hence my concern with getting one. Neither of us is great players but we love the pirates theme and love the toys/features on this game. I am positive that in the home environment this would last a very long time due to the sheer amount of things to do in the game and many variations of how the game can be played. One of our favorite games is STTNG which is hard itself but we usually set that for 5 ball to aid with the difficulty.

Just worried we have a 9k game that is too hard for us and we end up not playing it. FYI the only other game we have is MB (lack of space) and a VPIN for lots of other options but only the one real pin.

Anyone care to comment on how this is for weaker players?

#3208 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Neither of us is great players but we love the pirates theme and love the toys/features on this game

I have only played the prototype, and it toot some time to wrap my head around the code.
The code is deep and wide, but they use the same base for all the chapters. Take a look at the mind map that JJP has and you will understand it better. The manual also explains everything.
Take a look at the JJP live videos, the last 4 or so they explain the code in the start of the video.

Great game!

#3209 5 years ago

The game really isnt hard in my opinion. All the shots are obtainable without much hassle.

A hard game is houdini, which I own.... it has very narrow shots and you really need to be able to aim for those shots.

#3210 5 years ago

She thinks Dialed in is easy???

#3211 5 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

She thinks Dialed in is easy???

Agreed, I sold my DI for cash so I could get the POTC... the DI sim card shot is 90% impossible to actually sink intentionally in my opinion.

#3212 5 years ago

You can also tweak the difficulty of the game if the rules are tough for you. You can layer on multiballs like crazy if you set it up easy enough. My 11 year old loves it and is certainly not a great player. As said above, I think all the shots are makeable with the exception of the Devils Triangle shot through the spinner. That is hard, but consistent. Same with the Tortuga shot.

#3213 5 years ago

Don’t get frustrated you will get it!
Pick something and focus on that task.
I tell everyone that plays to focus on learning to catch and release. Control is key in this game.
I usually focus on getting multiballs ready so I can stack them.
My wife focuses on playing chapters.

#3214 5 years ago

I agree with @villathrills
I moved the ship and spot character posts out and rubber on the right lane save. Makes it easier and I love getting the R/lane ball save. I have got it down and save it 90% of the time.
I also made the ball save 10 seconds. This one helps the kids and new learners as they often forget about the upper R/flipper.

#3215 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone care to comment on how this is for weaker players?

I think its a pretty good game for weaker players honestly. Yes the rules are super deep but there are some very straight forward things to focus on that result in very fun games. Mostly the multiballs. IMO they are relatively easy to qualify and get going once you understand them. Most of the shots in the game are fair and the ball times tend to be long. Plus you have little things like character selection, plundering and liars dice that can add a dimension of interaction between players that most games just don't have.

I'll fully agree that blowing the machine up takes some pretty deep knowledge of the rules and how to stack MB's, modes, multipliers, etc. But I don't think weaker players will have a bad time with the game whatsoever. Lots of room to learn and grow on a machine like this which makes it perfect for home use.

#3216 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I agree with villathrills
I moved the ship and spot character posts out and rubber on the right lane save. Makes it easier and I love getting the R/lane ball save. I have got it down and save it 90% of the time.
I also made the ball save 10 seconds. This one helps the kids and new learners as they often forget about the upper R/flipper.

Have to laugh because I get frustrated now with games that don’t have that right ball save! Lol. Every game should now have that standard IMHO.

#3217 5 years ago

As to anyone on the fence about this pin, don’t be!!!!
I passed on buying a Star Trek LE NIB when it first came out and glad I did.
And I am a big Steve Ritchie fan!!!
And yes I have Star Trek prem!!

#3218 5 years ago

Cool thanks guys. We have fair number of guests over to play throughout the year and none of them are pin players but they enjoy playing. They love MB as its a fun game and well its pretty straightforward on what to do. We really enjoyed Stern's POTC when we had it and this is miles beyond better IMHO. Just don't want a 9k sitting there unplayed because its too hard or no one knows what to do. Appreciate all the feedback - hoping to join the club!

#3219 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Lots of room to learn and grow on a machine like this which makes it perfect for home use.

A few goal suggestions for starting to learn basics (not even talking multipliers):

--Focus on starting each of the multiballs as quick as you can by themselves, then practice stacking them

--Pick Tia Dalma and go for each wizard mode as quick as you can

--Do that for a while and in the process get a good sense of 4-5 characters whose plusses and minuses are a good match for your play style and strengths

Then: control multiballs for jackpots and chapters toward wizards, merrily jacking up multipliers along the way (darn, I said multipliers...)

#3220 5 years ago

Noticing more and more of these scratches on the playfield. I have cleaned and replaced the pinballs multiple times. Any ideas?

EB57D128-E814-41B1-A913-563DF5C6F7D6 (resized).jpegEB57D128-E814-41B1-A913-563DF5C6F7D6 (resized).jpeg
#3221 5 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Noticing more and more of these scratches on the playfield. I have cleaned and replaced the pinballs multiple times. Any ideas?
[quoted image]

Could be the balls they supply. I think they are absolute shit compared to ball barons ninja or carbon chrome.

I chucked the JJP balls after about 250 plays.

#3222 5 years ago

I played 10-20 games before my ninjas arrived. So those original pinballs were thrown out early on.

#3223 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Could be the balls they supply. I think they are absolute shit compared to ball barons ninja or carbon chrome.
I chucked the JJP balls after about 250 plays.

Quoted from Captchaos:

I played 10-20 games before my ninjas arrived. So those original pinballs were thrown out early on.

He said he changed the balls multiple times...

#3224 5 years ago

Do not derail the thread, Do not derail the thread, over and over in my head! !

#3225 5 years ago

Do you have another angle pic of those scratches?

#3226 5 years ago

Here are others

4DD74C98-6124-46C6-AF52-8253078DA61A (resized).jpeg4DD74C98-6124-46C6-AF52-8253078DA61A (resized).jpeg
#3227 5 years ago

Yes I also have those small nicks/scratches.

My POTC shipped with only 4 balls, I used them along with a new ball. I could replace all of them but is is an interesting type of mark.

#3228 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Not sure what you mean by "most will never know it". It is too bad that the printed manual (all of JJP's manuals are great) is only included with the CE but it is available for the rest of us in the parts section of JJP's web site for the POTC. I ordered one for my LE today.

Too be that most will never see it as they won't likely think to download it, view digitally on screen, within the pin's setup, print it or buy it.

You can see by a number of the questions that come up that many have never leafed through the manual and it is a great manual!

...unfortunate in that sense.

#3229 5 years ago

Snowed in? Freezing from sub-zero temperatures? Heat it up with some POTC with Skipnatty and friends! Live now: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#3230 5 years ago

Special thanks to my friend @TimBoch and his daughter for their help today installing the MAP hole Cliffy on my JJPOTC today.

There isn't yet a video showing how to take the Black Pearl ship off the game, so I took pics along the way. I'm sure the pics won't appear in the exact intended order, but it should give the general idea well enough.
Hopefully this helps anyone who may need to take the Black Pearl completely off. My suggestion, is to get at least two pairs of hands. I carefully snipped just one zip tie off holding the cluster of wires underneath the playfield. Ensure you don't accidentally cut thru anything important.!

In short, there are SEVEN connectors under the playfield that first need to be disconnected and they need to be carefully passed thru the plastic underneath where the Black Pearl was mounted. I've circled their locations in the pictures. I eventually took a black sharpie and wrote on #'s on them to help me remember what goes where, but they are keyed fairly obviously so not much chance to screw that up. The three little Molex connecters are color coded on the board they connect to. I temporarily disconnected the small black Molex just to give me better access to the other plugs. In putting everything back, my left ship spinner initially wasn't registering in test, but that was resolved just by going back and re-seating those plugs.

To remove the ship, you need an Allen key to extract the Allen pin behind the ship, pull the cotter pin on the arm (behind the playfield), collect the white spacer, and then ensure the upper playfield pin that was secured with the cotter pin is manually retracted thru the back of the playfield. Once that's done, pull backwards on the ship towards the back of the playfield, and carefully lift it up and out. It's possible to carefully guide it out from under the VUK guide w/o removing the VUK guide, just take your time. When handling the upper playfield, its a good idea to be mindful about where exactly you're handling it due to the sensitive components underneath, so make sure you're not putting pressure on something fragile. What I do is keep my hands on the wood sides until I can be assured I'm not handling it from something that could break. Do NOT get lazy at this point and be mindful about what/where you go setting this thing because its heavy enough to break whatever you rest it on. You really need two people to do this. I had help guiding the cables up and thru from underneath as I extracted everything together to set aside.

After you get the ship off, there are 5 nylon nuts that need to be removed in order to lift up on the plastic on top of the MAP targets. Then you just remove the two posts and the one screw holding the MAP hole ball guide. We didn't need to completely take the plastic off as there was enough flexibility to get the Cliffy placed.

Clean the MAP hole area with the supplied alcohol wipe, place the Cliffy, and re-install everything. Note: In removing two of the posts under the plastic, one of the chapter select sling rubbers was released. No big deal, just re-install the sling rubber after you install the Cliffy and then get the posts back where they belong.

1 (resized).PNG1 (resized).PNG10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg
#3231 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Too be that most will never see it as they won't likely think to download it, view digitally on screen, within the pin's setup, print it or buy it.
You can see by a number of the questions that come up that many have never leafed through the manual and it is a great manual!
...unfortunate in that sense.

Now I understand and I agree with your point because the manuals are works of art in their own rights. Much like the machines themselves.

#3232 5 years ago

what a nightmare to install why couldn't they have done this at the factory, uggh

#3233 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Special thanks to my friend @TimBoch and his daughter for their help today installing the MAP hole Cliffy on my JJPOTC today.
There isn't yet a video showing how to take the Black Pearl ship off the game, so I took pics along the way. I'm sure the pics won't appear in the exact intended order, but it should give the general idea well enough.
Hopefully this helps anyone who may need to take the Black Pearl completely off. My suggestion, is to get at least two pairs of hands. I carefully snipped just one zip tie off holding the cluster of wires underneath the playfield. Ensure you don't accidentally cut thru anything important.!
In short, there are SEVEN connectors under the playfield that first need to be disconnected and they need to be carefully passed thru the plastic underneath where the Black Pearl was mounted. I've circled their locations in the pictures. I eventually took a black sharpie and wrote on #'s on them to help me remember what goes where, but they are keyed fairly obviously so not much chance to screw that up. The three little Molex connecters are color coded on the board they connect to. I temporarily disconnected the small black Molex just to give me better access to the other plugs. In putting everything back, my left ship spinner initially wasn't registering in test, but that was resolved just by going back and re-seating those plugs.
To remove the ship, you need an Allen key to extract the Allen pin behind the ship, pull the cotter pin on the arm (behind the playfield), collect the white spacer, and then ensure the upper playfield pin that was secured with the cotter pin is manually retracted thru the back of the playfield. Once that's done, pull backwards on the ship towards the back of the playfield, and carefully lift it up and out. It's possible to carefully guide it out from under the VUK guide w/o removing the VUK guide, just take your time. When handling the upper playfield, its a good idea to be mindful about where exactly you're handling it due to the sensitive components underneath, so make sure you're not putting pressure on something fragile. What I do is keep my hands on the wood sides until I can be assured I'm not handling it from something that could break. Do NOT get lazy at this point and be mindful about what/where you go setting this thing because its heavy enough to break whatever you rest it on. You really need two people to do this. I had help guiding the cables up and thru from underneath as I extracted everything together to set aside.
After you get the ship off, there are 5 nylon nuts that need to be removed in order to lift up on the plastic on top of the MAP targets. Then you just remove the two posts and the one screw holding the MAP hole ball guide. We didn't need to completely take the plastic off as there was enough flexibility to get the Cliffy placed.
Clean the MAP hole area with the supplied alcohol wipe, place the Cliffy, and re-install everything. Note: In removing two of the posts under the plastic, one of the chapter select sling rubbers was released. No big deal, just re-install the sling rubber after you install the Cliffy and then get the posts back where they belong.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#3234 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Clean the MAP hole area with the supplied alcohol wipe, place the Cliffy, and re-install everything. Note: In removing two of the posts under the plastic, one of the chapter select sling rubbers was released. No big deal, just re-install the sling rubber after you install the Cliffy and then get the posts back where they belong.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. How long did it take? Do you think you can get away with just 1 person doing the install? If not, do you only need a second pair of hands when lifting the Pearl wires out? Trying to be sensitive to my wife's time since she's already so great with the time I spend on pinball?

Where does the second Map protector (the little one) go?

#3235 5 years ago

two print templates for potc

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3393818

bumper (resized).jpgbumper (resized).jpgkanone (resized).jpgkanone (resized).jpg Added over 5 years ago:

still a part for the rear Bumper added to it.

#3236 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

So pissed right now. Bought Tilt graphics "Kraken" art blades. They looked beautiful. One side done, then moved to next side. Then lowered playfield and RIP! Both sides tore. This cabinet is so damn tight there is no room. Mirrors=scratched. Art blades=torn. Screw you JJP! I will get over it...but pissed at the moment. My advice...leave the sides alone.
[quoted image][quoted image]

use these parts and there are no damages

https://pu-parts.com/assembly-blades

#3237 5 years ago

Mine just arrived, and I noticed that during the topper’s dim/light phase it is kind of flickering. Is this normal?

#3238 5 years ago
Quoted from Balint:

Mine just arrived, and I noticed that during the topper’s dim/light phase it is kind of flickering. Is this normal?

Yes. Make sure that you have the latest software installed as well. This changes the behavior as well.

#3239 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Thank you for the detailed instructions. How long did it take? Do you think you can get away with just 1 person doing the install? If not, do you only need a second pair of hands when lifting the Pearl wires out? Trying to be sensitive to my wife's time since she's already so great with the time I spend on pinball?
Where does the second Map protector (the little one) go?

For starting with only a general idea/plan on how to take the it all apart, I’d say it can take around 30 minutes to an hour if you take your time. My friend had to take off and return with a deep socket set that I didn’t yet have. Some of the nylon washers are deep enough onto posts that you really need this tool to carry forward. You will also likely need a needle nose pliers to keep the post from rotating underneath while you work the nylon nut off.

I’ve had the upper playfield off before, asking my wife to just hold onto the upper playfield while I did some maintence. It starts to get uncomfortable after awhile to just sit there and hold onto it. The only thing I would make sure to take my time on (with help of friend) is feeding those seven cables up from the bottom because they’re fed thru a hole on a plastic and you don’t want to just pull hazard-like. And if you don’t disconnect the upper playfield entirely, there isn’t a lot of cable-slack to maneuver around with and there is really no good place to safely set it without chancing breaking something under its weight.

I’m not certain, but it appears that the MAP2 protector (if you get it) co-joins with the MAP protector underneath where the MAP hole guide’s securing screw and post meet. I checked the inside back of my MAP hole and I didn’t see anything (yet) that would’ve warranted installing the MAP2 Cliffy, but it’s up to you.

UPDATED 01/31:
Can you get away with doing it all by yourself? Today, I had to make an adjustment to the MAP cliffy as its not sitting completely flat. I got the ship completely out and replaced all by myself without any help and I did it in under 15 minutes. Practice makes perfect I guess.
I may need to make another adjustment to the Cliffy in the future as its now sitting flatter to the playfield, but not perfectly. The adhesive on the Cliffy does not seem to be holding it entirely flat due to the pressure from the screw and post behind the MAP ball guide.

#3240 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

what a nightmare to install why couldn't they have done this at the factory, uggh

Factory installed Cliffy’s would’ve been nice, no doubt. But they did Mylar the heck out of most of the high-traffic areas.

The fact is, all of us (if you own this machine) are going to eventually have to learn and get familiar with taking the upper playfield on/off...unless you plan on never cleaning it or replacing rubbers. The chapter select rubbers will eventually wear out.

Granted, I’ve been playing the heck out of this game since I got it, but the amount of ball grime that we found on that upper loop and on the playfield going off the upper left flipper thru the On Stranger Tides loop was surprising. Some Novus 1 and 2 cleaned it up nice, but without taking the ship off, that maintence would be hard to do.

#3241 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I agree with villathrills

Just moving that right rubber to the left side increased our enjoyment of the game immensely! It increased our ball times just enough to make the game more enjoyable while at the same time fixing the last bit of auto plunge problem I've been fighting for weeks. Thanks so much for that. I think I'm going to leave the left outlane alone, but move the upper playfield post too.

As far as Dialed In goes, we just fight to get to Chaos on Quantum City and feel we've done a good job. We have no dreams of ever getting to Showdown, so we just like doing all the other things this crazy machine has to offer. Theater Multiball was a nice addition too!

#3242 5 years ago

Printing now! What's the best way to attach the cannon? I'm thinking rubber cement?

#3243 5 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

use these parts and there are no damages
https://pu-parts.com/assembly-blades

Clever idea ... not sure if it would fit if the blades/mirrors/artwork barely fits?

#3244 5 years ago

Q: Is there a stream regarding the rules? tutorial on game play.
Tried a search on youtube, but didn't seem to find one.

#3245 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

i haven't found an out-and-out tutorial a'la PAPA or anything like that. Or anything that gets really deep into the rules, stacking strategies, wizard modes, etc.

I think Buffalo Pinball has a "Bro do you even pinball" stream where they do a higher overview of the rules before playing. And some of Kevin's streams of POTC from his house have some rules discussion but not as straight forward as a proper tutorial.

#3246 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

There are 22 videos on YouTube by Jersey Jack Pinball Live describing the play and rules and the SDTM crew had an in-depth breakdown of the rules as well.

JJP Live:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wyrXBG6hubXIzT4uaYtqw

SDTM:

Or download the manual here:
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC_Manual%202_0%20November%202018.pdf

#3247 5 years ago

Ok
Thank's

#3248 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

i haven't found an out-and-out tutorial a'la PAPA or anything like that. Or anything that gets really deep into the rules, stacking strategies, wizard modes, etc.
I think Buffalo Pinball has a "Bro do you even pinball" stream where they do a higher overview of the rules before playing. And some of Kevin's streams of POTC from his house have some rules discussion but not as straight forward as a proper tutorial.

Here's the Bro show we did on Pirates. Tutorial is at the beginning followed by a bunch of gameplay:

#3250 5 years ago

I'm SO excited to be joining this club!
If it all goes as I'm hoping, I will have LE #1000 in my gameroom next week. YES YES YES!
Ever since playing the 3 disc prototype at Golden State last May I've been itching to own this beautiful game. Super stoked!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
30,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/65?hl=captchaos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.