(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 hours ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 378.
#3101 5 years ago

Is there a way to mod the sound on this? I'd love to play with the audio and add some custom music and sound clips to it.

#3102 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Is there a way to mod the sound on this? I'd love to play with the audio and add some custom music and sound clips to it.

No.

LTG : )

#3103 5 years ago

Yeah, I want the official movie soundtrack too... but that said, the EXCELLENT original music takes away most of my disappointment!

#3104 5 years ago

It is really good, but not quite there. I still walk away from the machine with the original song in my head. Wonder why there's not a pinbrowser type program for JJ's.

#3105 5 years ago

It is really good, but not quite there. I still walk away from the machine with the original song in my head. Wonder why there's not a pinbrowser type program for JJ's.

I wonder if you hook up a keyboard to the motherboard and boot directly into linux then change some sound files from their. Some one with some linux knowledge might be able to pull that off.

#3106 5 years ago

So, if your topper is off center...take it from me, just live with it. Don’t try to fix it.

It looked like two easy screws on either end so I attempted it tonight.
There is a threaded rod apparently built into the bracket in the center which screws into the backbox somehow. I couldn’t feel any nut inside the backbox so it’s probably some kind of socket in the wood. Definitely not a simple fix.

I gave up and reassembled.

I need to replace the black plastic plugs now but otherwise no worse for the experience.

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

But what type of subs are you guys using. I saw one on crutchfield for 140 with amp. Also it has a left and right input, how would this be hooked up?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

I believe this is what I'm using. Purchased it years ago.

#3108 5 years ago

MezelMod protectors installed:

478B55B8-E6FD-44D2-B975-F9CF7FCCE8F8 (resized).jpeg478B55B8-E6FD-44D2-B975-F9CF7FCCE8F8 (resized).jpeg735F6FD9-B73F-4915-96C1-C642A2717DA2 (resized).jpeg735F6FD9-B73F-4915-96C1-C642A2717DA2 (resized).jpeg
#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So, if your topper is off center...take it from me, just live with it. Don’t try to fix it.
There is a threaded rod apparently built into the bracket in the center which screws into the backbox somehow. I couldn’t feel any nut inside the backbox so it’s probably some kind of socket in the wood. Definitely not a simple fix.
I need to replace the black plastic plugs now but otherwise no worse for the experience.

Ugh...thanks for letting us know.

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Looks sharp, can you post a pic without the pinstadium on?

#3111 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I wonder if you hook up a keyboard to the motherboard and boot directly into linux then change some sound files from their. Some one with some linux knowledge might be able to pull that off.

Definitely can't (easily) -- the assets are encrypted on the storage device and decrypted during runtime, as far as I know. There was a user trying to get at the assets for a WoZ mod (Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Rainbow) but I don't think he made any real progress.

#3112 5 years ago

Finally pulled mybmirror blades off my game. They are pretty scratch up. Just too tight. Luckily you can never tell they were there since screw holes are below the playfield.

#3113 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I still would prefer something that doesn’t stand out as much like a smoked grey translucent protector. This game doesn’t need fluorescent and vibrant.

Anyone else interested in something like this?

#3114 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Finally pulled mybmirror blades off my game. They are pretty scratch up. Just too tight. Luckily you can never tell they were there since screw holes are below the playfield.

Sorry to hear but thank you for sharing. I always wonder about these scratching.

I've likely typed it before (certainly have thought), that it would be cool if the inner blade area were routed back 1/8" into the cabinet, problem solved but at a cost to have the two sides routed.

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You could just pull the screws and use velcro strips. That's how my laserrific topper attaches.

#3116 5 years ago

I got a new gate from JJP and thought it solved my ball trap issue but no luck. I tried to tighten down the right side with the screw with the rubber on it but never had any luck.
I finally added a rubber under the ramp on the left side where the middle post of the slingshot under the ramp is and finally no ball hang ups.

4738A91F-6392-44F5-A2BB-5160F5F73C79 (resized).jpeg4738A91F-6392-44F5-A2BB-5160F5F73C79 (resized).jpeg6C716B9D-1FF6-4AEE-B55D-F47CEA16C80B (resized).jpeg6C716B9D-1FF6-4AEE-B55D-F47CEA16C80B (resized).jpeg
#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I still would prefer something that doesn’t stand out as much like a smoked grey translucent protector. This game doesn’t need fluorescent and vibrant.
Anyone else interested in something like this?

Yes, this. If nobody comes out with one, I will mock up a few sets. We have access to a Glowforge and can cut these. Just need to create the vector file and find the right material.

#3118 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I got a new gate from JJP and thought it solved my ball trap issue but no luck. I tried to tighten down the right side with the screw with the rubber on it but never had any luck.
I finally added a rubber under the ramp on the left side where the middle post of the slingshot under the ramp is and finally no ball hang ups.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve got one machine where all I had to do was tighten the screw, and one where I had to prop the ramp in the same spot you did.
This appears to be a common adjustment for everyone!

Once it’s fixed it’s so nice. The ball -never- sticks there now.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Yes, this. If nobody comes out with one, I will mock up a few sets. We have access to a Glowforge and can cut these. Just need to create the vector file and find the right material.

Please let me know if you decide to tackle this, I know there are a few others that have expressed interest previously.

They would really fit the look of the machine well.

#3120 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

You could just pull the screws and use velcro strips. That's how my laserrific topper attaches.

This is what I was planning to do. Should work fine and easily reversible

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I may have read it wrong but I don't think he had an issue putting 2 screws back in or the mount the issue was the threaded stud sticking out of the cabinet that you can't move. If that is the case you would need to drill a new hole in the channel they provided to move it over and remount. Just guessing.

#3122 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Their is a rod machined into the plate that screws into the head of the cab. You would have to cut that rod off of the plate to make that work.

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I may have read it wrong but I don't think he had an issue putting 2 screws back in or the mount the issue was the threaded stud sticking out of the cabinet that you can't move. If that is the case you would need to drill a new hole in the channel they provided to move it over and remount. Just guessing.

Yeah, it appears the topper mount is T shaped with a threaded rod screwed into the top of the backbox. I didn’t feel a nut inside the backbox so I’m thinking it is probably a socket. Not a simple thing to relocate.

#3124 5 years ago

I have a question for you POTC owners. This may be the worst place to ask this, or possibly the best . I have room for one pin in my house, and I current have a Monster Bash LE on order. I went and played one yesterday, and while it's fun and campy and of course the game is beautiful, I just worry I will get bored quickly of it. I also played a Hobbit black arrow, and (the reason I'm posting here) a POTC. I really loved both the Hobbit and Pirates, and I am leaning towards switching my order to one of these games. Any thoughts/arguments either for or against? In general I love how many modes there are on pirates, and how deep the game seems to be. But my wife is more about bashing the ball around and doesn't pay attention to any of the rules. Still - the machine is mostly for me. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks!

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

I have a question for you POTC owners. This may be the worst place to ask this, or possibly the best . I have room for one pin in my house, and I current have a Monster Bash LE on order. I went and played one yesterday, and while it's fun and campy and of course the game is beautiful, I just worry I will get bored quickly of it. I also played a Hobbit black arrow, and (the reason I'm posting here) a POTC. I really loved both the Hobbit and Pirates, and I am leaning towards switching my order to one of these games. Any thoughts/arguments either for or against? In general I love how many modes there are on pirates, and how deep the game seems to be. But my wife is more about bashing the ball around and doesn't pay attention to any of the rules. Still - the machine is mostly for me. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks!

Please trust when I say Hobbit should be a Way 10th place decision. Especially in a small collection!! Beautiful game but gets old quick. Bought and sold myself. While you are asking in a POTC thread your responses will certainly be biased but POTC JJP is by Far the finest pinball machine I have owned in well over 100 machines over the years. This game will for Certain set the bar for many to achieve for years to come. From fun, code, art, enjoyability, toys, build, they nailed Every definition of a perfect pinball machine. Thats my opinion anyway from the POTC club thread lol.

#3126 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

I have both Hobbit and JJPOTC. My wife and kids (12 and 13) love them both. I bought Hobbit NIB and was lucky enough to be surprised to open a JJPOTC Christmas morning. I really enjoy MB but found myself getting bored and even ignoring it at shows now. Hobbit is cinematic immersive bliss. It is a journey. Smaug multiball is easy to achieve and has a very satisfying intro. My wife and kids and guests love it. Music, callouts, and clips are integrated second to none. Killing Smaug is still my favorite pinball "moment" ever. My son and I were afraid Pirates would suffer from lack of clips and actor callouts and overall lack of the cinematic immersion. That's why we passed on it...but then got the Christmas surprise. You can't judge Pirates based on Hobbit. Where Hobbit has breadth (33 modes) Pirates has depth (layers). When playing with the kids I go for score. When by myself I try to get to the wizard modes (there are 5 of them). There are scoring options that you can dive into as well. So many ways to play this game and I am just starting to scratch the surface. There are 6 multiballs which can be stacked and I use them to help get through modes. There are hurry ups, bonus multipliers, an awesome aargh frenzy, and a video mode (liars dice). The lights and music are standard for JJP which means they are the best in the business. The callouts are just fantastic. They picked the perfect voice actor (first mate, Mr. Gibbs from the movies). Bottom line is both are fantastic games. Hobbit is a bit more polished because it's been out longer, but that just means that Pirates has polish coming. Hobbit is about playing unique modes. Pirates wins on unique shots and toys. You can't go wrong with either. I will preface that after owning Hobbit, I now love those movies and with that kind of immersive experience, I give Hobbit the edge(barely). But Pirates is more fun to play with my family because plundering is truly awesome. Nothing like your kids stealing your gold...or vice versa. Good luck with your decision.

#3127 5 years ago

So many postings under this thread, so this may be a repeat. To you owners, what do you think of the impact of the spinning disc on gameplay? Like many I was pretty critical of the change from the original design, but I do love the JJP pins and am curious how the disc affects gameplay and how often is it activated, etc.

#3128 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

So many postings under this thread, so this may be a repeat. To you owners, what do you think of the impact of the spinning disc on gameplay? Like many I was pretty critical of the change from the original design, but I do love the JJP pins and am curious how the disc affects gameplay and how often is it activated, etc.

It adds a layer of randomness to the game. It sure puts some crazy spin on the ball. And every so often will piss you off by stopping the ball and then sending it straight down. As they say in the movie and the game, "Everybody's thinking it, I'm just saying it. Pirates!"

#3129 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I have both Hobbit and JJPOTC. My wife and kids (12 and 13) love them both. I bought Hobbit NIB and was lucky enough to be surprised to open a JJPOTC Christmas morning. I really enjoy MB but found myself getting bored and even ignoring it at shows now. Hobbit is cinematic immersive bliss. It is a journey. Smaug multiball is easy to achieve and has a very satisfying intro. My wife and kids and guests love it. Music, callouts, and clips are integrated second to none. Killing Smaug is still my favorite pinball "moment" ever. My son and I were afraid Pirates would suffer from lack of clips and actor callouts and overall lack of the cinematic immersion. That's why we passed on it...but then got the Christmas surprise. You can't judge Pirates based on Hobbit. Where Hobbit has breadth (33 modes) Pirates has depth (layers). When playing with the kids I go for score. When by myself I try to get to the wizard modes (there are 5 of them). There are scoring options that you can dive into as well. So many ways to play this game and I am just starting to scratch the surface. There are 6 multiballs which can be stacked and I use them to help get through modes. There are hurry ups, bonus multipliers, an awesome aargh frenzy, and a video mode (liars dice). The lights and music are standard for JJP which means they are the best in the business. The callouts are just fantastic. They picked the perfect voice actor (first mate, Mr. Gibbs from the movies). Bottom line is both are fantastic games. Hobbit is a bit more polished because it's been out longer, but that just means that Pirates has polish coming. Hobbit is about playing unique modes. Pirates wins on unique shots and toys. You can't go wrong with either. I will preface that after owning Hobbit, I now love those movies and with that kind of immersive experience, I give Hobbit the edge(barely). But Pirates is more fun to play with my family because plundering is truly awesome. Nothing like your kids stealing your gold...or vice versa. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. Very helpful!

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. Very helpful!

No problem. Just want to say that both games are fantastic and will not be leaving. JJP games shine in the home environment because they have so much to discover. If you end up getting Pirates, don't forget to add this little guy. The first mod my wife actually demanded I get.

15485276457724318824389326057686 (resized).jpg15485276457724318824389326057686 (resized).jpg
#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Now and then it will grab the ball and save you...or drain you...but overall it doesn’t affect gameplay that much. It seems like it’s spinning most of the time for me during gameplay.

#3132 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

"Everybody's thinking it, I'm just saying it. Pirates!"

Absolutely my favorite game over callout! And also my vote, as I am a huge POTC pinball fan obviously. It’s the most fun I’ve had in pinball.

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

But my wife is more about bashing the ball around and doesn't pay attention to any of the rules. Still - the machine is mostly for me. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks!

My wife is primarily a “basher” too, but POTC has gotten her interested enough to start developing technique, trying for specific goals, and learning the rules.

There are so many goals in the game and some are easy while others are very difficult. This gives novice players a nice way to ease into the ruleset.
For example, she started off just wanting to do the Maelstrom multiball. Then she decided to she wanted to get loop champ. Then it was the other multiballs. Etc.

#3134 5 years ago

I have hobbit and POTC, and am getting MB and AFM next. My wife is a basher too. She likes AFM and MB the most. But she does not like hobbit at all. POTC she likes BUT it can be punishing for a basher. But she still likes it.

If MB gets stale for you, and your wife is a basher, I’d go with POTC as a single pin.

#3135 5 years ago

As far as bashing, I have found those "x" targets can be punishing. Unless they are lit, I do my best to avoid them.

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

I have both games (MBR LE and THBA) and also a POTC LE. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those games but I believe the JJP games, though more costly, are the better choice. They are much more fun, complex, and engaging compared to MBR. MBR is fun but it does not leave me 'exhausted' like a challenging game on POTC or THBA. Between the two JJP games, that is a really tough call. My wife and I love the Hobbit's film clips, music, and call outs and the game never disappoints us. But for the lack of film clips, the same could be said for POTC. Despite all the issues you have read about on the POTC, our's has been trouble free as has our THBA. I guess it just boils down to what theme you like best. Good luck in your decision.

#3137 5 years ago

Forgot to mention that if you go for a JJP game and it is likely to be a keeper, consider adding the RADCALS. I know they are not cheap but the games really look great with them.

#3138 5 years ago

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Honestly, I prefer the Hobbit them over POTC. I love all thins Tolkien When I first played the hobbit shortly after it came out, I was kind of left flat though. The ball seemed to roll around in that big empty field in the middle and I was kind of bored. But then I recently played it, I believe with the new code, and it was a night and day difference. I loved all the pop up bash targets, and as I figured out the gameplay it started to really become interesting. The call outs and movie clips are fantastic of course. Then I switched over the pirates and there is just so much to do! I love the idea of a map and moving through the map as the game progresses (I am an RPGer so that just feels like home to me) The ship is awesome, the chest - awesome toys! If it had original movie clips, music and call outs it would be a much easier decision. Man someone should figure out how to load in clips from the movie. But even without that, it didn't disappoint. I do feel like I could play that pin for a long time and not get tired of it.

#3139 5 years ago

As an owner of MBRLE, I can tell you that yes its a fantastic game and you'll love it. However, given that this would be your only game, POTC is the correct decision for you. It'll absolutely last longer due to its complexity. If you already had three or four deeper games, I would say MBR, but in your case its an easy decision to abandon your MBR order for POTC. I never cared for Hobbit, personally, but a lot of people like it, so that's just going to be personal preference.

#3140 5 years ago

I've been in this hobby for a long time, had quite a few pins pass through my hands, and I can honestly say that JJPOTC is the best all-round pin I've owned. For me, the lack of movie clips which some people berate this pin for is just not an issue. The excellent music, sounds and lighting are truly immersive; the rules are deep but attainable; and the shots are smooth as silk. It will be a while before this one leaves my collection. Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy your new game!

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Honestly, I prefer the Hobbit them over POTC. I love all thins Tolkien When I first played the hobbit shortly after it came out, I was kind of left flat though. The ball seemed to roll around in that big empty field in the middle and I was kind of bored. But then I recently played it, I believe with the new code, and it was a night and day difference. I loved all the pop up bash targets, and as I figured out the gameplay it started to really become interesting. The call outs and movie clips are fantastic of course. Then I switched over the pirates and there is just so much to do! I love the idea of a map and moving through the map as the game progresses (I am an RPGer so that just feels like home to me) The ship is awesome, the chest - awesome toys! If it had original movie clips, music and call outs it would be a much easier decision. Man someone should figure out how to load in clips from the movie. But even without that, it didn't disappoint. I do feel like I could play that pin for a long time and not get tired of it.

I was not a fan of hobbit at all until recently.... the new code has made it a absolutely amazing experience . Also 7.2 seems to be the sweet spot for the game playing very fast and smooth. Not to mention u can get modded low play smaug editions for around 7k that is absolutely gorgeous.

#3142 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

The call outs and game narrative is done by the actor who plays Joshamee Gibbs.

#3143 5 years ago

Due to popular demand I made another batch of shooter rod mods. PM if interested.

20190126_104415 (resized).jpg20190126_104415 (resized).jpg

20181215_102013 (resized).jpg20181215_102013 (resized).jpg
#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Due to popular demand I made another batch of shooter rod mods. PM if interested.
[quoted image]

If anyone is interested in these go ahead and get them here from tonycip

A friend and I already had the other one on order (before these were an option) for many many more dollars and although I do love it, not convinced that it is worth the price difference

#3145 5 years ago

I played POTC for the first time last night and it was amazing. Hands down my favorite pin. Hopefully I can afford one this year..I have played DI twice now and just don't get the appeal but each their own.

On a side note I played several new Stern games and I just don't think they will hold up very well. The AC/DC lower playfield definitely interfered with the upper play-field ball roll. I think I would buy TNA over any Stern pin...Just my 2 cents..

#3146 5 years ago

Is anyone having issues with tilt?

I have my bob set pretty permissively, and it feels about right for the level of effort vs tilt, but I find that hitting it once will often register 2-3 times in a row...and continue on into the next ball also.

Anyone else?

CD281D3C-A885-4264-A14C-DA5536426F20 (resized).jpegCD281D3C-A885-4264-A14C-DA5536426F20 (resized).jpeg
#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Is anyone having issues with tilt?
I have my bob set pretty permissively, and it feels about right for the level of effort vs tilt, but I find that hitting it once will often register 2-3 times in a row...and continue on into the next ball also.
Anyone else?[quoted image]

You just have to lower it just a bit more. Most every pinball machine will keep it swaying. Much more if your game is sitting on carpet. Looks like you have correctly bent the brass ring to center the weight so don't rock the boat!! lol

#3148 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You just have to lower it just a bit more. Most every pinball machine will keep it swaying. Much more if your game is sitting on carpet. Looks like you have correctly bent the brass ring to center the weight so don't rock the boat!! lol

Believe it or not, it was much more active when I had it lower than it is now! It’s like concentrating the weight so far down increased the pendulum action.

I was thinking of trying it inverted.

#3149 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Believe it or not, it was much more active when I had it lower than it is now! It’s like concentrating the weight so far down increased the pendulum action.
I was thinking of trying it inverted.

Just put tape around it and you'll never have a problem! JK!! Yeah not much you can do about that other then lowering it. Same design for decades. Just have to learn how much Motivation you can put into the game and dial yourself back a bit.

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Could you try widening the brass ring carefully? (*Snap!*)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.