(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13,050 posts
  • 476 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by attack7
  • Topic is favorited by 222 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191121_104901 (resized).jpg
02F5DDEA-5BBC-4169-8994-0EE5531928B5 (resized).jpeg
4733AB71-E5FE-4B47-BC10-7863491B37EB (resized).jpeg
35200050-835C-4085-AE8A-0FA5635E91E2 (resized).jpeg
0D8CDE8F-2CC6-4DD3-8242-88156849FE45 (resized).jpeg
20191117_230337 (resized).jpg
20191116_140814 (resized).jpg
20191115_190558 (resized).jpg
GIF-191114_223447 (resized).png
IMG_0086 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0077 (002) (resized).jpg
678A8AC9-EEFD-414A-8CF4-2A19FF9FB727 (resized).jpeg
127996A1-64F7-4385-BDA3-AC6B165DBA5F (resized).jpeg
42E58E05-D832-427D-9962-7BA05CDAAAA7 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13050 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 261.
#2751 10 months ago

I love this game, but got complaints because of the noise when playing.
While a pinball machine will always be a bit noisy, how can I reduce noise on the following elements?
- both right and left flippers
- bumbers

I searched on the forum, found that some people added insulated foam inside the cabinet; not sure I have to go that route on my POTC.

But, in order to limit the noise when the plunger hits the coil stop (hope the terms are right, this is a significant noise source), is there some rubber or ring that I can add that will make the 'clic' noise less noisy? Or anything else?

#2752 10 months ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Ok! So I've narrowed my problem with the cannon hate load. It raises up enough and stays there, but as soon as I hit a flipper on either side it drops back down effectively making the shot impossible. My switches all check out and I've done the "bang on the playfield" test. Any ideas?
What could cause pushing either flipper to lower the gate?

The software tells the gate to lower whenever any main playfield switch is hit (unless in multiball). It sounds like that's the easiest answer, but I'd expect a switch test to reveal that issue.

I had a problem with my gate not catching up -- it was flicking up and then falling right back down. That took an assembly adjustment to resolve. Have you tried giving the mini playfield a tap to see if the ship flippers are shaking the gate loose?

#2753 10 months ago

I think I did, but I'll double check when I get home. The gate would stay up when it's supposed to, even with the ship rocking. It doesn't go down unless the flippers are pressed. I'll check and see if the flipper vibration alone is causing it to drop when the ship rocking doesn't, but I kind of doubt it.

#2754 10 months ago
Quoted from ellips6:

While a pinball machine will always be a bit noisy, how can I reduce noise on the following elements?
- bumbers
I searched on the forum, found that some people added insulated foam inside the cabinet; not sure I have to go that route on my POTC.
But, in order to limit the noise when the plunger hits the coil stop (hope the terms are right, this is a significant noise source), is there some rubber or ring that I can add that will make the 'clic' noise less noisy? Or anything else?

These are the same mechs that have been used in pinball games for the last 30 years. There is no way (that i know of) to reduce the noise. This is part of pinball.

I noticed that this is your first NIB game, but is it also your first game in general? Not asking to be an ass, but generally curious as all pinball games (except the virtual ones, which are not really pinball) will have these mechanisms and make these same sounds. Even if you were able to deaden the noises with insulation, the noise would still travel through the glass (although there are some noise reduction properties inherent to the glass itself.)

If you find something let us know, otherwise, accept it as part of the "pinball experience" and enjoy your game.

#2755 10 months ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

These are the same mechs that have been used in pinball games for the last 30 years. There is no way (that i know of) to reduce the noise. This is part of pinball.
I noticed that this is your first NIB game, but is it also your first game in general? Not asking to be an ass, but generally curious as all pinball games (except the virtual ones, which are not really pinball) will have these mechanisms and make these same sounds. Even if you were able to deaden the noises with insulation, the noise would still travel through the glass (although there are some noise reduction properties inherent to the glass itself.)
If you find something let us know, otherwise, accept it as part of the "pinball experience" and enjoy your game.

I’d also add as you PMd me the same question on making a pinball Quiet that I Strongly recommend NOT adding Any foam or foreign materials to the inside of Any pinball machine for both heat and fire concerns. It’s pinball, it will be loud. Find a common ground or tighter friendship with your neighbor whatever you can do but All pinball machines are mechanical and noisy. Don’t risk your family or home trying to quiet down a hobby. Finally, as I also suggested to you, add some Rubber pads to the leg levelers. Often the sound neighbors hate is the transfer of noise through the levelers to floor. Like a tuning fork. Even add a thick carpet on the Floor to dial back the acoustic noise. Play safe, hope this helps.

#2756 10 months ago

What kingpingames and yelobird said! Right on point!
Play a game with the glass off, it's a huge difference. Also yelobird has a sound reducing kit for your spinning map, mine is on it's way!!!!

#2757 10 months ago

Thank you guys for the feedback. I am used to the pinball noise for years and like it. I came accross threads where people installed foam inside to reduce noise and I did not feel confortable about this idea due to the safety hazard it will introduce as Yelobird wisely mentionned. Also, I came accross a thread where someone installed a piece of soft plastic onto the coil stop to reduce the 'bang' sound. It did not feel right to me either, this is why I decided to reach out to the community to learn if 'noise reduction' standard practices exist. I got the rubber pads on the legs and will soon receive the silencer kit. I will leave my POTC like that, and enjoy playing it. Everyone loves this pirate experience, this is such a fantastic game.

#2758 10 months ago
Quoted from evh347:

I installed TheModCouple's disc-silencer today and I have to say that I'm a believer now too. I don't want to sound like I'm on the ModCouple's Xmas list, but I've got all of Dave's mods and this one I voted for a TWIPY. Not completely silent (they never claimed it would be), but after about 6 games in, its an improvement.
My only criticism is that the install instructions could use the touch of an experienced technical writer, but I get it...they create mods and that's what they're good at. Might want to add some info onto the website that 'White Lithium Grease' is recommended to have on hand during install.

Talking about quieting down a pinball machine, it reminded me of evh347 post on the disc silencer kit. I got this too as I was having a noisy rotating map and was thinking it wouldn't quiet it down too much. At first it was noisy still (and seemed maybe noiser). But sure enough, after 4 or so plays it quieted down, just like the instructions said. This was a huuuge improvement! Well done yelobird!

#2759 10 months ago
Quoted from ellips6:

- bumbers

Play with the glass off for 20-30 minutes. Then with the glass on it will sound amazing!

#2760 10 months ago
Quoted from ellips6:

Everyone loves this pirate experience, this is such a fantastic game.

Everyone’s thinkin’ it, I’m just sayin’ it...pirates is awesome!

#2761 10 months ago

Hope that they fix the chest multiball lock bug soon, that really sucks

#2762 10 months ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Hope that they fix the chest multiball lock bug soon, that really sucks

What’s the bug on this?

#2763 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What’s the bug on this?

After the 3. chest multiballs was played the lock targets didn’t register any more

#2764 10 months ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

After the 3. chest multiballs was played the lock targets didn’t register any more

Mine does not have that issue. Hmm.

#2765 10 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Mine does not have that issue. Hmm.

That‘s curious while some others have it too, i definitely didn’t had it before the update

#2766 10 months ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

That‘s curious while some others have it too, i definitely didn’t had it before the update

I will watch for it. Steps to repro: lock 3 times, get the multi ball, then locks don’t work?

#2767 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I will watch for it. Steps to repro: lock 3 times, get the multi ball, then locks don’t work?

No chest multiball played 3 times and then the lock switch don’t register anymore

#2768 10 months ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

No chest multiball played 3 times and then the lock switch don’t register anymore

In the same game? That explains why I haven’t seen it. My skills are lacking right now save for one breakout game.

#2769 10 months ago

In the works with JJ support, but might as well post here too.

#2770 10 months ago

@ltg should I wait on adjusting my flippers until I get the gap tool?

In other words is it possible that loosening the nut without one will screw up my gap?

#2771 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

should I wait on adjusting my flippers until I get the gap tool?

No, a business card with a slot cut in it works just as good.

Quoted from zaphX:

In other words is it possible that loosening the nut without one will screw up my gap?

Not if you know what you are doing. I never use them. Just be sure and leave a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper bat so the pawl isn't binding on the nylon bushing below the playfield.

LTG : )

#2772 10 months ago

Ok, issue. Getting point before putting ball in play during picking your player. I am thinking it is one of the chapter select switches possibly completing the circuit. Gives that certain sound it makes when bouncing around in there.

#2773 10 months ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Ok, issue. Getting point before putting ball in play during picking your player. I am thinking it is one of the chapter select switches possibly completing the circuit. Gives that certain sound it makes when bouncing around in there.

Yep happened on mine too. I just had to bend/adjust the switch. Easy fix.

#2774 10 months ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I am having the exact same problem and have been hoping someone has a solution.

I figured it out! So I remembered people earlier saying if any switch was hit on the lower playfield, the gate closes. Days ago I had a leaf switch registered as stuck closed. It went away on its own without me adjusting it, I just kept a mental note of it in case it happened again. I adjusted it anyway and the problem ceased! It must have been touching when the flippers vibrated the machine. Odd it didn't happen during the "bang on the playfield test". Anyway, there it is. Hit the ship three times in one game.

#2775 10 months ago
Quoted from ellips6:

Thank you guys for the feedback. I am used to the pinball noise for years and like it. I came accross threads where people installed foam inside to reduce noise and I did not feel confortable about this idea due to the safety hazard it will introduce as Yelobird wisely mentionned. Also, I came accross a thread where someone installed a piece of soft plastic onto the coil stop to reduce the 'bang' sound. It did not feel right to me either, this is why I decided to reach out to the community to learn if 'noise reduction' standard practices exist. I got the rubber pads on the legs and will soon receive the silencer kit. I will leave my POTC like that, and enjoy playing it. Everyone loves this pirate experience, this is such a fantastic game.

Crazy idea but why not just dial up your stereo with some louder music. That would make your neighbor hate the music more and appreciate Pirates when the music goes off! JK but I hope you find your solution. Many pinball collectors live in apartments, condos, etc and have had to find alternate compromises so they can enjoy their hobby while being respectful of the others around you. Often simply playing at a different time of the day can smooth things out. Do consider the heavily padded carpet on the Floor under your machine and legs. I suspect you will find that helps a lot. Good Luck!

#2776 10 months ago

I figured it out! So I remembered people earlier saying if any switch was hit on the lower playfield, the gate closes. Days ago I had a leaf switch registered as stuck closed. It went away on its own without me adjusting it, I just kept a mental note of it in case it happened again. I adjusted it anyway and the problem ceased! It must have been touching when the flippers vibrated the machine. Odd it didn't happen during the "bang on the playfield test". Anyway, there it is. Hit the ship three times in one game.

nice to see you have if figured out. thanks for letting us know.

#2777 10 months ago

for people who don't own this game and are reading this thread every day seeing new issue after another - maybe I'm just the lucky one but I haven't had any real issues. Literally none. The game plays amazing too. I just wanted to mention this b/c if I was a new buyer and read this thread I might be concerned about getting one.

#2778 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

for people who don't own this game and are reading this thread every day seeing new issue after another - maybe I'm just the lucky one but I haven't had any real issues. Literally none. The game plays amazing too. I just wanted to mention this b/c if I was a new buyer and read this thread I might be concerned about getting one.

i would also say that at least 90% of these are "pinball issues," and not "PotC issues."

switch adjustments, coil adjustments, etc are all issues that are common across ALL pinballs. the broken wires, offset toppers, etc have all been remedied at the factory and new buyers should not run into those (neither should the other buyers, but it happened and JJP corrected it in later builds).

#2779 10 months ago

i would also say that at least 90% of these are "pinball issues," and not "PotC issues."
switch adjustments, coil adjustments, etc are all issues that are common across ALL pinballs. the broken wires, offset toppers, etc have all been remedied at the factory and new buyers should not run into those (neither should the other buyers, but it happened and JJP corrected it in later builds).

yeah I just get a little concerned that new buyers are going to read this thread and get discouraged......thought i would mention my experience thus far.

#2780 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah I just get a little concerned that new buyers are going to read this thread and get discouraged......thought i would mention my experience thus far.

definitely. i would encourage all the people not having issues to comment too, but they are probably too busy enjoying their game.

if new buyers are worried, give me a call. I can point you in the direction of a great distributor that answers emails/phone calls at all hours of the night and it a decent tech support guy. Also, JJP has an amazing tech support department that is there just in case you need them.

#2781 10 months ago

definitely. i would encourage all the people not having issues to comment too, but they are probably too busy enjoying their game.
if new buyers are worried, give me a call. I can point you in the direction of a great distributor that answers emails/phone calls at all hours of the night and it a decent tech support guy. Also, JJP has an amazing tech support department that is there just in case you need them.

Not a single issue with our POTC but I did have an Ace installation crew so that may have helped! All in all with Anything pinball things will need to be tinkered, or metal thingys (#LTG) adjusted but thats the nature of pinball. The Great thing is there are Many pinball enthusiasts and amazing support members available to help owners, now and throughout ownership. This game is Honestly a work of art and by far one of the most fun games we have owned in a Long time! Try not to over analyze the possibility of issues just Enjoy one of the best games ever made!

#2782 10 months ago

if new buyers are worried, give me a call.

Chris is serious.

You have a ball running around a few miles an hour inside a pinball machine. Sooner or later you'll have to fix something. Sooner or later you'll have to clean it. Chris will help you. Before, during and after the sale.

And crap can happen in shipping. The way these games bounce around down the highway in semi trailers, it is amazing more things don't pop up. Something needing adjusting, connector come loose. And in these threads too often you only hear the bad. Not the people enjoying their new pinball machine.

It's important to have a distributor who is there for you. Not to mention free shipping for veterans, and Chris doubles the factory warranty of the games he sells. He has that much faith in his product.

Call Chris today. https://www.kingpingames.net/ tell him LTG : ) sent you. You'll be glad you did.

#2783 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Chris is serious.
You have a ball running around a few miles an hour inside a pinball machine. Sooner or later you'll have to fix something. Sooner or later you'll have to clean it. Chris will help you. Before, during and after the sale.
And crap can happen in shipping. The way these games bounce around down the highway in semi trailers, it is amazing more things don't pop up. Something needing adjusting, connector come loose. And in these threads too often you only hear the bad. Not the people enjoying their new pinball machine.
It's important to have a distributor who is there for you. Not to mention free shipping for veterans, and Chris doubles the factory warranty of the games he sells. He has that much faith in his product.
Call Chris today. https://www.kingpingames.net/ tell him LTG : ) sent you. You'll be glad you did.

great, now i have to stay up another hour so i don't dream of ltg right away.

thank you both for the kind words.

#2784 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I had several issues on my first machine but they were all solvable and as suggested, many (but not all) were general “pinball issues.”
Buyers should not be discouraged. I love this machine so much I got a second one!

#2785 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I agree that many of the issues are just pinball. There are always tweaks to make to any new machine to get it playing right.

Still hoping for an update kit solution to get the Pearl ramp to lean a bit more to the right. Post under the left side of the ramp pushing it up just a little? Like a column for a bridge. I placed 2 cabinet bumper pads under mine. It helped a little, but still not there.

The game is great, though! I'm really enjoying it!

#2786 10 months ago

Also, JJP has an amazing tech support department that is there just in case you need them.

I want to second this. Obviously everyone wants a perfect game OOTB but when things happen, getting good support makes all the difference.

I’ve had absolutely stellar support from both JJP and my distributor Abel Electronics. This support really turned around what could have been a crappy experience.

I’d also like to add, I’m posting about my issues in the hopes that sharing my experiences (and fixes) will help others if they run into the same problems.
We’ve already seen a few recurring issues with easy fixes (for example the chest fork screws and the Pearl ramp adjustment.)

Perhaps I’m being too noisy but I assure you I am super happy with my purchases and I’m very enthusiastic about POTC and JJP.

#2787 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I want to second this. Obviously everyone wants a perfect game OOTB but when things happen, getting good support makes all the difference.
I’ve had absolutely stellar support from both JJP and my distributor Abel Electronics. This support really turned around what could have been a crappy experience.
I’d also like to add, I’m posting about my issues in the hopes that sharing my experiences (and fixes) will help others if they run into the same problems.
We’ve already seen a few recurring issues with easy fixes (for example the chest fork screws and the Pearl ramp adjustment.)
Perhaps I’m being too noisy but I assure you I am super happy with my purchases and I’m very enthusiastic about POTC and JJP.

Not too noisy at all! Your posting made it a lot easier for me to get it going. It's only getting easier for everyone else with manufacturing improving and all of the potential issues identified.

JJP is really making pinball better!

#2788 10 months ago
Quoted from wheels:

Not too noisy at all! Your posting made it a lot easier for me to get it going. It's only getting easier for everyone else with manufacturing improving and all of the potential issues identified.
JJP is really making pinball better!

I’m glad to hear that. Helping people get past issues is my only goal so we can all get to happy pirating!

#2789 10 months ago

Has anyone put there multiball setting harder? It easy to start the multiballs and in fact, you have to play them only once to get to the wizard mode.
With the easy factory settings POTC turns into a endless multiball game. And that’s not a good thing.

#2791 10 months ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Has anyone put there multiball setting harder? It easy to start the multiballs and in fact, you have to play them only once to get to the wizard mode.
With the easy factory settings POTC turns into a endless multiball game. And that’s not a good thing.

You must have a different setting or game?? I have played a hundred games on Pirates with multiple multi-balls and yet to see a wizard mode unless I watch it on YouTube!

#2792 10 months ago

Thanks! I will check that out.

#2793 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sweet. You should then be able to get rid of it quickly when you sell it tomorrow.

#2794 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Me too. My other JJP'S are also trouble free. Seems to be the norm.

#2795 10 months ago

I haven't had any real issues with mine either, other than the normal kind of thing that happens with any pinball machine.

#2796 10 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I feel like you wrote that specifically for me, lol!

I watch and read this thread daily (really need to start from the beginning). I REALLY want to buy a Pirates, and I love JJP pins. I pop on here and all I see are problems being talked about. No scoring, strategy etc. Has me a little worried. I've got no problems fixing things, I can handle that. I just don't really have the time. With a demanding job, wife, and 2 little kids, my free time is very short. I'd prefer to use it playing pinball and not fixing them. I used to spend hours buying, fixing, selling games. I just don't have the time for that stuff anymore. I just want to play!

#2797 10 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I feel like you wrote that specifically for me, lol!
I watch and read this thread daily (really need to start from the beginning). I REALLY want to buy a Pirates, and I love JJP pins. I pop on here and all I see are problems being talked about. No scoring, strategy etc. Has me a little worried. I've got no problems fixing things, I can handle that. I just don't really have the time. With a demanding job, wife, and 2 little kids, my free time is very short. I'd prefer to use it playing pinball and not fixing them. I used to spend hours buying, fixing, selling games. I just don't have the time for that stuff anymore. I just want to play!

This pin doesn't have any more or less problems than any other pin.

#2798 10 months ago

i would encourage all the people not having issues to comment too, but they are probably too busy enjoying their game.

I agree!
I am also glad that pinside is here to help me and others. I have learned a lot in my short time of being in the hobby (7 yrs)! JJP tech support was there almost immediately when I needed them. Thanks LTG!
Oh and last night I adjusted the leaf switch on the R/side sling chapter select. Was giving away free points can't have that or the wife might beat me!

#2799 10 months ago

That's the leaf switch that was causing my problems with the ship gate

#2800 10 months ago

Does anyone else here put their games on their easiest settings with max ball saves and tilt warnings so SO's and guests will have a better time? My wife was starting to not like the game until I did that. Even on easy I'll probably never get to the big wizard mode though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
There are 13050 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 261.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside