(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

673 posts in this topic match your search for posts by harryhoudini. You are on page 3 of 3.
#11528 4 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

Hi Pirate Friends!
So I am confused as all get out with JJP’s support process any was hoping you guys who have any experience with them can give any suggestions since I don’t know what normal for their support process.
I got my game NIB last Saturday and registered it and filed two support tickets on Sunday.
1. My display gets power but has no image. Hooked up another known working display and it works fine so my guess is a bad display of display board where the DVI connections plugs in.
2. I wanted to request the post sling kit fix since my game is showing post clear rippling within the first day of play.
The second ticket was apparently seen and without any response, I received an email with shipping confirmation of the post and VUK shield kits. Very cool! Thanks JJP!
However, it’s now Friday and I have no response to my first help desk ticket and both call to tech support today have gone straight to voicemail.
I just want to know how long is a normal wait for JJP to reply before I need to escalate issue. I’m not trying to be a needy customer, I just want to play my new game.
Thanks!
- Josiah

Hey Josiah Happy for you on that purchase, saw it on FB.

USUALLY a call is the best bet, I've found. The support tickets in general seem to take longer than even just plain emails. I have had generally not had good luck in response from support tickets. If you've left a message then I would be it is being attended to. I'd give until Mon/Tues and then call again. Of course, it's NJ time so make sure you call early. Sounds like you did the troubleshooting already so hopefully the replacement is quick to ship.

#11532 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I finally got a Devil’s Triangle Rock formation but for the life of me can’t figure out which screw holes I use to attach it![quoted image]

You may not have holes, it's not like really integrated into the layout as much as just stuck on top of the rail. Btw, there are little, tiny spacers under the screws/rock (this is like the 5th situation where tiny spacers were used that YOU TOTALLY LOSE EVERY TIME). You may not need them, I haven't put it on without them yet, but if you didn't get them I bought a huge assortment from Amazon (because I have lost a few already) and could send you some.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11540 4 years ago

I’ll end up 3D printing some spacers tomorrow lol

LOL, that is quicker. I kept finding stuff around the house to cut and use as spacers when I lost them.

#11543 4 years ago

Can you tell me the diameter of the spacer?

Sry, just woke up You got it!

#11544 4 years ago

If *anyone* else decides to replace their pop bumpers with black/clear or whatever, do yourself a favor and pick up some of these quick connectors on Amazon. There is no way to replace the pops without cutting the wires, apparently the ends were soldered or crimped (not sure which was done last) after they were put through the pop bumpers so unless you want to solder RGB boards you have to cut the wires. The crimped ends won't fit through the holes in the pop bumper. I would normally solder and heat shrink my splices but in this case I wanted the option to easily remove without having to again cut and splice. I initially tried to remove the JST connector from the ends and slide them through the pops but like I said they just don't fit. If you have a CE/LE I believe the spinning pops can be removed just by undoing the molex connector ends with a pin removal tool. At least, I have some that I did that on a while ago and it seemed to have worked, lol.. I am just putting them back together today so I've forgotten, but seems likely.

#11546 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Got a link to connectors on Amazon?

I should have not been lazy and found it originally, lol. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072P15279/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

These were also interesting but I found them less consistent than the others. These are toolless where the ones above need something (strong hand power if you're good) to clamp them down and make them click. These are also huge in comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7FLLHT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#11547 4 years ago

HEY! Where'd the switch go? Where'd the tab go?! How about that view?

#11554 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very nice solution.. for what it’s worth, this is how ALL pop bumpers are connected, aren’t they?

The RGB lighting has 4 wires, two go through each hole in the pops which is a REALLY tight fit. So unless you desolder them from the PCB boards you can't thread them back through the hole because the connector end has crimped pins which are too wide to fit side by side with the wire. The motor wires use large .093 molex connectors which are too large to fit through the holes, but you can desolder those from the motors much easier. I just didn't want to mess with the PCBs. In fact, I had a lot of .093 stuff here so I just cut the motor connectors to make it easier instead of lugging the soldering iron over to the game.

But yeah, in older games obviously the wires going to the lamp socket do the same route but it's much easier to deal with the two wires, generally which can be desoldered pretty easily. I'm always looking to put the game back together a bit better, easier, etc so in the future it's easier to work on.

#11555 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I just joined the club today![quoted image]

WELCOME!

You shooter assembly is crooked

Possibly it's not just visual, it could be striking the ball off-center, so might want to adjust. If you do, be really careful of the cabinet decals. Mine were already busted by how tight it was cranked down so when I adjusted it I now have screwed up artwork showing.

#11574 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The problem I had with the lighted window was I immediately thought it looked like an old time radio from the 30's. Doesn't fit in a pirate's ship.
I can't unsee it now.[quoted image]

It was actually designed based on some different pirate images/drawings but can definitely see how that comes to mind. Maybe we can do an alternate window design, suggestions?

1 week later
#11699 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the window/door for the black pearl?

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/black-pearl-stand-up-target-illuminated-window-jersey-jack-pirates-of-the-caribbean

---------- On another note ------------

Coming soon to a start button near you, first prototype. Lens color options, insert options (so far heart and skull) and light color options. Also options for effect controller add on, including heartbeat and flame flickering.

Added over 4 years ago:
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the window/door for the black pearl?

https://pinballmods.co/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

---------- On another note ------------

Coming soon to a start button near you, first prototype. Lens color options, insert options (so far heart and skull) and light color options. Also options for effect controller add on, including heartbeat and flame flickering.

#11706 4 years ago

Can any LE owners tell me on the bottom right with the PF upright, have this connection in this same state (no female connected to it) tucked away?
It would be slightly left of the black pearls pink/purple harness I have labeled #1 in my game. Thanks!![quoted image]

You sure that doesn't go up to the BP as well? I have had my playfield propped up for so long I forgot I don't even have the BP in. I believe the plug we are using goes to the main lighting board on the BP, if that is the same one you are looking at. So that is why we made it passthrough.

#11710 4 years ago

Ha, no one mentioned this video was private. I didn't really tip it too much so it was probably ignored, just wanted everyone to see and comment if you had any thoughts.

------------

#11772 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Hi all,
Haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere yet so forgive me if it was mentioned.
While removing the packing materials I noticed this long metal piece hanging down into the cab. It has two small holes on the end and freely swings down from the back of the playfield (just behind the star map magnet. What is it and should it be attached to anything? I see no screws or anything loose in the cab.
I’m hoping is a counter weight or something like that. Thanks.[quoted image]

Uh, that's the linkage to the Black Pearl. The two holes should have screws in them and it attaches to a much smaller plate with a larger hole in it (with a white bushing). That smaller piece is likely attached to the rod which connects to the ship. Look behind the backboard, it's probably floating back there. Gonna have to find some screws (unless they are rattling around in your cabinet somewhere. You should check the cabinet for treasure, many people have found various parts floating around.

*Part #4 in the diagram is the little tab that is likely behind the backboard. The screws are 6-32 1/4"

#11775 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Thanks Harry. Quickly realized that when the BP had zero movement. I’ll see what I can find. Well we’re off to an ominous start aren’t we?

Naw, pretty standard. Stay the course matey. Don't let the game plunder you. There be pirates and repairs ahead.

#11779 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Thanks. I was able to find one of the screws hiding in the cabinet so I could at least play a game with the BP moving. I'll get another one soon.

I can see a slight ripple on the slings and the other posts look fine. However, I still want to take eaglepin's advice and try and put washers on as many as I can (although I'm a bit nervous to start tearing some things down so early). Do you have a link to the right neoprene washers? I want to make sure I get the right sizes, at least for the slings.

Those are really common screws in pinball games, if you have any spare parts you probably have one.

If you want, I'll send you a screw and the neoprene washers. I still have a bunch, I think. PM me if you want them. Might even have some double star posts if you want them, not sure what color though.

#11781 4 years ago

Those are them. But get a titan, rubber is lame.

#11783 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh, good point! Thanks HH!
Are any double star posts necessary past the two lower slings? I'd like to make one final parts order for this game, and still am not quite sure if I need more double stars past the lower slings...

I didn't put them anywhere else. I think some put them in the starmap area. I guess maybe under the BP ramp since that is a sling too, but I've never had it escape.

#11787 4 years ago

Heh. I stand by my Titans. They may wear a bit faster but they look awesome and play awesome. Superbands aren't stretchy enough, IMHO. I have them all, even old school white rubber (which looks like crap unless you wear white gloves installing them and never play). At least with superbands and titan you can wipe them off.

#11790 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I agree with you 100% about slings, but post sleeves should be more robust.

Have you or anyone had issues with the post sleeves from them? I haven't seen that, would be interested to know. The only real issue I have ever seen is the starfield one, in terms of lots of wear.

#11792 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

You’re right, I have no history with post sleeves other than rubber. I just know that my rubber post sleeves have lasted over 5 years +. Black does look good there though. Not sure I would go a colour to bring attention to it.
Maybe a clear titan. Just thought it might be soft. Prove me wrong!

I have some of those size here, I'll put them in. But I guarantee they will be 100% pristine in the many months to come.

My game hasn't been whole for many weeks.

#11801 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I put on neoprene washers on Day 1, the same day I unboxed my game. The clear around my sling posts was perfect - no damage because the game hadn't been played.
Six weeks later, I can now see rippling has formed in the clear at the base of the sling posts.
It looks like neoprene washers are no better than the JJP nylon washers.
Has anyone else noticed rippling with neoprene?

I have no rippling around my neoprene. Did you use the narrow ones? I think that is a mistake, if anyone is doing it. The clear can't support that kind of lateral force on such a small area. Need the wider star post to spread the load. Light touch when tightening them down.

1 week later
#11956 4 years ago

Backboard lighting is finally done, so anyone who ordered will start getting some ship notifications. I think it came out pretty good.

#11958 4 years ago

It's bit a moment but we're ready to ship our spinning pop bumper upgrade. Works for all versions of the game, a great upgrade for a matching set of interactive barrels on your LE/CE and CE's can upgrade to the Davy Jones model.

Only a few of each character in stock. Jack's might be able to be found still, but Davy's are hard to come by.

SE is a plug and play install, no complex wiring or soldering. Only need a ratchet and a screw driver. Should take about 20 minutes for a mechanical person, maybe an hour if you are meticulous.

Install video is being produced. Thanks for the patient waiting while we perfected this. 10 different prototype sets were created, finishing techniques tested and lighting toppers custom finished for best light transmission. The interactive lighting looks awesome. Videos will be posted to the product thread and website shortly, waiting on processing the uploads.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-spinning-pop-bumpers-upgrade

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#11961 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Adjust the chest release coil timing up or down until it’s doing the right thing. Easy fix, no tools needed!

Why would the timing of the chest release have anything to do with how many balls are spit in to the shooter lane?

If I recall correctly, POTC like WOZ knows how many balls are locked up and adjusts when it knows a locked ball is missing.

Sounds like the shooter lane switch or trough optos might have some issue, no?

#11979 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think it has so much to do with how many are in the chest, but how many are left in the ball trough. That's where I would concentrate (the 4th and 3rd ball positions) if it reappears (and it probably will).

Yup, the code knows what it is in the chest. As long as the chest optos are reporting correctly the game seems to properly adjust based on that. Usually with the shooter lane ball load issues it's the lane switch or the trough switch.

#11989 4 years ago

Here's a fun little video I made of the spinning pop bumper upgrade.

#11998 4 years ago

Jack, JJP Jack? Or is this some other Jack?

#12005 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Really ?
LTG : )

Hah, really! I knew the name pinballsales.com but couldn't recall why. I thought maybe it was a reseller who also happened to be named Jack who was taking care of their customers. I maybe only had a few calls from JJP, you being one, and I think only once or twice did I see that caller ID, makes sense now. Just didn't put those two together.

Well, this is quite interesting. As you may all recall Jack specifically told me on a phone call that he would not be giving special treatment to anyone, that if he refunded or gave away playfields he would have to do it for everyone. Welp, guess we'll see what happens since it's a bit of a guessing game as to what JJP does quietly.

#12014 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And you can, in theory, do the swap yourself...though I’d personally kick that can many years down the road. Let the next buyer take it on, now that you can effectively take playfield wear off the table on a deal.
I’m sure at least one person will do it right away, though...whoever that is, please document it very thoroughly for the benefit of the community.

Honestly, aside from the prep work, the swap on this game is not going to be that bad for someone who is mechanically inclined. Having playfields side by side makes it cake. The fact that nothing is stapled to the playfield makes it easier. Not much to solder at all, in fact you could do it without soldering. All the daughter boards with plugs makes it simple. It's all the prepping of the holes, installing t-nuts properly, etc. which will take the most time I imagine. I just had basically all the upper playfield mechs off the game and put it back together in under an hour. Older games (I just did DE JP and TOM) are much more labor intensive. But a great time to do the black pop bumper swap and fix the little things (map t-nut, use starposts to start, mylar all the proper places, cliffys right away).

I don't see a reason to do it now either. If gameplay isn't affected just wait and see what happens. So far the test with the post on the new playfield seems ok, definitely not bunching up that I can see.

#12015 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Just wanted to report my experience too...late last week I sent an email to my distributor as I'm seeing some very minor bubbling and I wanted to make sure I was on record reporting the issue in case it worsened. I did tell them that I felt the current discounted playfield option was not acceptable to me and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I got email on Tuesday afternoon morning that they had just spoke to Jack and that he was going to send me a free playfield, consistent with what others are reporting. However, my distributor did say that it may take up to a month and just wanted to give me the heads up. I wonder if these newer playfields will utilize whatever new clear method/solution they reach? I don't mind waiting AT ALL if it means the free replacement playfield is genuinely fixed. Kudos to Jack for personally responding to people.
Although my POTC LE will be with me for a long time, I'm very happy with this solution and the peace of mind it gives me. I realize that a playfield swap will be quite expensive later on, but that is something that I can worry about and at least plan for in the future.
A GNR (I'm a huge fan) machine done by the POTC team with FULL access to all the assets is something I am EXTREMELY interested in. Fingers crossed this playfield stuff can TRULY be put to bed and put the focus back on the games and the rumors!

I really wish we had a definitive answer on the formulation of the replacement playfields (are they the same batch? same process?) along with a definitive answer on the issue (does it just need more cure time?). Because the replacement playfield I got is definitely harder than the one that is in the game. It would be good to have some conclusive statement to settle everyone's mind.

#12020 4 years ago

Wow. If they are really stepping up and doing that then props. It wasn't without a battle but hopefully this is a trend for manufacturers being more on the hook for this stuff. I'd hope JJP makes an announcement.

#12022 4 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I think is great news... honestly, I've been laying low and haven't been outspoken.
I've owned my PoTC LE for about 4 months. I have light pooling around some posts, and I've not played my game for nearly 2 months. My thinking is/was to allow the clear to get harder, to minimize more pooling and eventually chipping.
I'm a big JJP FanBoy as I've purchased 6 of his pins. I decided not to buy Wonka and may sit out on GnRs. Still not sure how I feel about this situation.

Yelobird posted a thread about ironing down the pooling on Wokna. Might take a look at that if that is the only issue you have. It's all speculative, but maybe an option. I've been meaning to look under one of the other posts that had pooling (under the BP) to see if the starpost/washer situation had done anything to push the clear back down.

#12023 4 years ago

Not sure if this has ever been posted about (I don't recall it) or if it's even a thing, but I did a thing so here it is. Someone just messaged me about a huge gap between the BP and the ramp. I recalled that I did this little "fix" to prevent the front/back motion on the BP. The tolerances are just too much on the various mounting bits and it lets the BP move front to back, which I don't think it needs. I just put a few washers on the pin to move it as far forward as it could go. I don't know the size, I can measure tomorrow. I just grabbed a few washers that I had in my washer bin, ideally I think nylon makes the best for less wear.

Not sure if this solved the issue KornFreak28 has with the gap (image attached) but it seems like it would be the most reasonable way to get the BP closer to the ramp. My BP has virtually no front to back movement now.

It's a bit tricky to get the washers on there and get the pin installed, definitely a pain each time you remove it. I'll make a small 3D printed washer to go there if I can't find one that fits right, if anyone needs/wants it.

Gap (resized).pngGap (resized).pngRamp (resized).pngRamp (resized).pngWashers (resized).pngWashers (resized).png

#12040 4 years ago

Here's a video on the washer thing. I'm going to print out a washer that fits there for myself along with a protector plate for the backboard where the actuating arm bushing rubs (mine is starting to wear the wood down). I'll add the BP actuating kit to the store if anyone wants it.

#12043 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

harryhoudini I bet those smaller clear washers where from the sling plastics.

Where? They are much too large to fit under the narrow sling posts.

#12074 4 years ago

Here is the prototype of the BP actuator protection kit (I don't know what the heck to call it). I don't know if it's even necessary, but I'm installing it on mine. It actually helps with a few things.

1. The shoulder bolt goes in to the bushing so it's easier to get the bushing on the back support pin and thread the shoulder bolt in.
2. The support pin bushing pushes the BP all the way forward, no slack front to back.
3. The rear protection plate gives a surface with much less friction and a "wear layer" to prevent the backboard from getting gouged (mine is somewhat gouged now).
4. The actuating pin (that connects the link arm to the BP) has a replacement bushing that has a lip on it which mates up with the protection plate. I think it provides better motion but I need to get everything back together to confirm this all works as smoothly as it should. The bushing and plate slide really smoothly against each other.

These are made from carbon fiber composite PLA and are quite strong. The plate is only .5mm right now so it's bendy but once it is in place that doesn't matter. These are printed in draft mode so finished pieces will be much smoother looking.

I'll post a video of installation and results so folks can comment.

#12076 4 years ago

Here is a video of what I was talking about.

Forgot to get a pic, here is a crappy screen cap where you can see the wear on my backboard.

#12088 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Some advice please: My inner loop shot (the switch labelled "inner loop enter") is not registering every shot, especially fast shots are missed. What should I do? Obviously it is the switch beneath the black pearl. hurra Thanks

Go in test mode and use a pencil or something to activate the opto, see if it registers properly. Make sure they are aligned properly.

Quoted from Thot:

Woz is better for me but this two are complementary, have hobbit 'spectalulary', POTC 'adventure', woz 'magic' all are so differents and good

I have WOZ and JJPOTC and suggest both

#12095 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Pretty sure that was addressed somewhere and they are "working" on it. Can try to clean/align opto but not sure if it would help. Hopefully next code update will fix this and a couple other issues

Oh wow, I didn't hear this. That's great, I posted about this a while before (in conjunction with balls not making it around the loop when they should) and didn't know this was acknowledged. If only there were a centralized thread about POTC software updates

Sure would be nice to get a software update. I like that someone posted a Jack quote from a while back where he basically said they only will release finished software and games. Pshaw.

#12099 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m having an annoying issue. I keep having balls get lost when get go behind the BP via skill shot, port royal or any soft soft around the loop. Game goes into search mode and eventually the ball is released into the BP (VUK) and to the playfield. I did notice the VUK has a hard time pushing the ball up into the BP. The ball makes it to the BP when the VUK fires and the BP is tilted to the left. I’m pretty sure this is what I saw. The VUK tries for a few times and then stops. Thinking the BP may be too far back or something? My daughter played a game and she hit the port royal lane. Ball got lost for a good long while. Anybody know what it’s going on here?
Also, is it normal for this wireform to be slanted like this? Thanks![quoted image]

Do you still have that big gap between the BP and the ramp? Can you lift up the BP (meaning it is not in the mounting pins all the way)?

If the VUK isn't kicking the ball up with enough force then you can change the setting and increase the power. Most people have turned it down because it had so much force it was hitting the spinner optos on the BP. You want just enough power to make it up the VUK scoop. This really only applies if the issue is the ball isn't getting kicked up with enough force the first time. If the ball gets lost first then I would check the VUK switch and just roll the ball in there manually in test mode and see if the switch registers each time and if the VUK fires properly.

I don't know how many times it might try to kick it up the VUK before stopping. I know that other coils stop after a bunch of tries (like the chest release, if the optos aren't aligned). So depending on what the sequence of events is, maybe it's hunting for the ball after not being able to kick it up?

If the ball is having trouble when the ship is tilted, I go back to my first questions. If the BP isn't installed right or there is a broken mount then it likely is not aligned well for the VUK. It's somewhat tight clearances back there and I could see the ship blocking the exit.

That ramp shouldn't be tilted, no. How's the top end of that near the BP? Is the BP clear ramp aligned now? Is the wireform inserted in to that ramp properly? If so, worst case you can use some channel lock pliers and a rag to bend that front mount a bit.

#12111 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Has anyone else installed the cannon shield from pinballlife.com? It sites next to the BP to prevent any damage from ricocheting cannon shots. I ordered mine and they have a picture (below) that shows where it goes, but not really how it gets attached. It is hard to tell if it sits on the plastic piece next to the chest or the star map plastic. If anyone has any other pictures or instructions that would be great. Thanks!
[quoted image]

I have one too and never installed it.

#12112 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Don't do this ^^^ as the middle of the wire form will likely deform with the way it is designed. My attachment post was even bent.
I had the same issue. Is the wire form at the other end contacting the top of the twirling pop bumper under the ramp (LE) and also the top of the Tortuga scoop? I had that. I got another wire form and it was twisted the same way. To help resolve 2 of the 3 issues, I bent the right side wire form connection to the BP (bent it down maybe 1/8-1/4") using two sets of channel locks to not break the wire form connections to itself. Use a rag to protect the surface finish if you can. Be very careful with it though. I think a few of us got some wire forms that were twisted out of tolerance. On most pins, the wire form isn't touching the Tortuga scoop.
Just my input on it ...

Yeah, one end or the other. I don't see how slightly bending the mounting tab would deform the middle. I'm just talking about the "foot" that sits on the plastic. And you can easily bend the middle back in to shape as well with your hands. Maybe I just man handle mine more than others, lol.

#12166 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yeah it’s closer now. I just pulled the BP and it moved. There’s still a gap but now the ball rolls freely to the clear ramp. When I hit the port royal shot, I immediately looked at the VUK, The ball is not hitting the BP at all.
Not sure why the VUK fails to push the ball up though. I don’t have a manual with me (would love to buy one) but I’ll try increasing the power to it.

There's no buying a manual, as far as I know.

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC_Manual%202_0%20November%202018.pdf

Maybe we could do a group buy on getting them printed and bound? Anyone else want one?

#12169 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Crazy expensive to print, believe it or not.... Especially in color.

Oh, I believe it. Hence the group buy. I also have a color printer that duplexes so...

#12171 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Does the gap between the VUK and the BP look pretty normal? Ball can’t make it up....[quoted image]

It may just be the angle of this pic, but can the gate on the VUK move fully? It almost looks like it would hit the BP. If your BP was too far back, hence the gap in the front you had, then maybe it is contacting the gate. Although I think for it to dump out it would likely be passing the gate. I think the game might compensate on the 3rd kick in a row by adding more power. So maybe on the 3rd kick it makes it past the gate but not enough and that is what dumps it back down. Why it ends up on top of the plastic there doesn't make sense. But again, if your BP is weird in alignment or something is broken all bets are off.

#12173 4 years ago

JJP probably wouldn't like me selling it. So if we get 25 orders we can split the cost at like $16/piece plus shipping to your location. Or if you want to order direct it's $39 with free shipping.

bookbaby.com

#12175 4 years ago

I have the full WOZ manual, I like it.

Looks like if we can get 25 people together we can get it printed and shipped to one person for $50/ea at bookbaby.com. That's at 9x12", so a bit smaller than the real thing but probably big enough. Otherwise I am betting you have to print 11x17 and trim because it's an odd size. Full color, perfect bound. No option for spiral bound. Maybe just hole punched and in a folder so you can replace pages later?

#12180 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Will the game function without the BP hooked up? I want to see what the hell is going on with the VUK and getting the ship out of the way would help a great deal. I want to hit the port royal shot without the BP on the playfield. Possible?

Yea. It will report some errors.

#12181 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i believe i have some printed pirates manuals, but i will have to check. give me a couple hours. they would be the same costs as the other JJP manuals. $100 plus shipping.

Humm... now print my own crappy one for 1/2 that or get the nice one to match my WOZ.

Waiting...

#12186 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How in the HELL do I get to this nut? I’m about to start the removal of the BP VUK but I just don’t see how to get to this nut. The damn wire form in on the way big time![quoted image]

1/4" socket with long extension or maybe a nut driver. Or maybe carefully with pliers from under the ramp if you don't have one.

#12191 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Nevermind, found an easier way [quoted image]

Yeah, under the ramp

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Dang! I thought about that but the bumper cap and ramp get in the way. Do I really have to remove or loosen the clear ramp to remove the ship if I remove the VUK? I would rather not mess with that ramp unless it’s totally necessary.
Also, Does the PF rests it’s weight on these wire forms? Not sure if I should trust them or not. Sorry guys, first JJP here [quoted image]

I don't think you have to remove the BP ramp if you do the VUK. I may have said that, I may be wrong. Mine's been off for a while so I forget.

You could put a towel over the backbox to help cushion it. I've never had an issue.

#12194 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks Scott! How many wires in total below to the ship? Don’t wanna mess this up

I don't recall. But the all come out the same hole. Just trace them to each point. Most come apart right there, some go to lighting boards. The lighting board ones should be color coded, if not make sure you mark them. Take a pic before you remove them.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Btw, I think I know why the ball can’t make it up the VUK (power is all the way up) The gate is grinding the VUK’s walls.
Definitely not moving freely. We’ll take a closer look once I get it out

Ah yeah, bend the wireform a bit wherever it is hitting.

#12199 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks guys! Having trouble removing the shooter lane wire form. When I try loosening this nut, the whole post (with T-nut) gets loose. The post, of course, can’t be removed since there’s stuff blocking it. Did you guys hold the post with pliers or something?[quoted image]

Unscrew the t-nut from the bottom (if it is that loose) and just pull the post out with the ramp, if you can. Then you can fix it off the game. I can't remember if you can get the rest of that plastic out without the ramp being out of the way.

#12202 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I might be wrong, but I don't remember needing to remove the shooter lane wire form to get the Pearl & VUK off (assuming that's why you're looking to remove the shooter wire).

I think you're right. The screw to remove the metal "man overboard" should be able to be reached under the end of the ramp.

#12206 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So it’s pretty much impossible to remove the nut without loosening the darn post. What a nightmare! Now I can’t put the t-nut back in since the post is still in there.

Take off the plastic with the post. Remove all the other nuts and screws holding that plastic on and pull out the ramp and the plastic at the same time. Then you can put two washers on the bottom of that post, snugged together, hold them with pliers and remove the nut off the top.

#12211 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is this nut even necessary to secure the wire form? With the hex spacer there I’m thinking not?[quoted image]

I do not have that on mine.

Quoted from bgwilly31:

shitty thing Just randomly started on mine.
My BP barely rocks anymore during gameplay. Only played one game on it tonight. Same issue as last night. This just started.
I went into menu and ran the BP though its tests.
In test mode it works fine. Recaliburated it in test mode. But when i start the game it barely moves.

Under game settings there are ship movement controls which can be set to increase based on stages completed with minimum settings. Maybe those got changed?

#12220 4 years ago

Could someone do me a favor and take a pic straight down at the gap between your BP and the ramp?

#12223 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

It's an. 1/8" straight across the entire gap on mine.

Heh, well, lucky you!

Quoted from wesman:

I can't right now, but I know my gap isn't entirely symmetrical.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. I think it's related to the ramp screws to the playfield. I just don't remember what mine looked like before, months ago, when I had it all together.

#12226 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Here's mine, day one.[quoted image][quoted image]

Your second photo looks like it's angled, but not the first one. I can't get the front left side to have enough gap, it looks a lot like your second photo. I even re-drilled my front left ramp screw to pull the ramp that way. I don't know if everyone has their ramp screws drilled in the same place, but mine were really weirdly positioned... way in the back and the screws angled backwards.

Weird, going to mess with it some more. I wish there was more room at the bottom of the ramp to adjust it, that would give a lot more control over the top.

Thanks!

#12232 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Have you every had your Black Pearl Out? If so, you need to readjust the position. Simply loosen the 1/8" allen nut in the back on the BP shaft... pull the BP as far forward as it will go... .then tighten the allen nut on the shaft. Should be good to go.
Many people forget you're supposed to pull the BP forward before tightening that allen nut back down.

Yeah, the shoulder bolt needs to go all the way down. But even then the BP has about, I don't know... 3-4mm of travel front to back, at least. I am going to work on some fixes for the BP ramp which will hopefully let us align the top better (left to right leveling) and adjust the angle of attack, as it were. The restriction seems to be where the ramp hits the playfield, there are obstacles on each side which prevent the ramp from being able to be rotated.

I made this to help keep the BP forward. Just added on to the kit to provide a few different bushings to allow for some even finer adjustments. In case your BP can't be all the way forward you can space it out from the front as well.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/potc-black-pearl-actuating-protection-amp-alignment-kit

A few people have reported issues with one of the sling post screws under the BP ramp pushing in to the ramp causing a bump in the ramp and messing up the bottom. Looking to provide a fix for this at the same time.

Added over 4 years ago:

Have you every had your Black Pearl Out? If so, you need to readjust the position. Simply loosen the 1/8" allen nut in the back on the BP shaft... pull the BP as far forward as it will go... .then tighten the allen nut on the shaft. Should be good to go.
Many people forget you're supposed to pull the BP forward before tightening that allen nut back down.

Yeah, the shoulder bolt needs to go all the way down. But even then the BP has about, I don't know... 3-4mm of travel front to back, at least. I am going to work on some fixes for the BP ramp which will hopefully let us align the top better (left to right leveling) and adjust the angle of attack, as it were. The restriction seems to be where the ramp hits the playfield, there are obstacles on each side which prevent the ramp from being able to be rotated.

I made this to help keep the BP forward. Just added on to the kit to provide a few different bushings to allow for some even finer adjustments. In case your BP can't be all the way forward you can space it out from the front as well.

https://pinballmods.co/potc-black-pearl-actuating-protection-amp-alignment-kit

A few people have reported issues with one of the sling post screws under the BP ramp pushing in to the ramp causing a bump in the ramp and messing up the bottom. Looking to provide a fix for this at the same time.

#12239 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is the speed based on certain modes or shots?

There are settings in the game which let you define intensity and effect based on goals.

#12240 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Ive never had the BP out. It scares me to touch the thing. lol
But i will check the screw you mentioned. Hopefully its simple. Thank you all.

Since you don't have to move the ramp, it's not a big deal to remove the BP, like others said.

#12252 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting too that they are doing a new run of the Ruby red WOZ, with the monkey installed. I don’t know pricing but if they can do that, they can probably do another run of POTC at 15K(!)

REALLY? Arg... I don't think I can convince my wife to replace our 2nd WOZ which is an RR with a new RR. Damnit, would have loved that option.

#12256 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Why would you want to replace an older RR with a newer one?

I really just wanted a new ECLE. I didn't know about the "green" edition, but I also wanted the toys of the RR. I bought a used SE when I found out about the game (I was only playing and collecting old BW games basically) when I couldn't find anything else local. I ended up shipping a RR to me which had the gouvea mods (hard to come by) mostly for that reason but I would have loved a new one. Never have had a new game. I don't know if I even knew about YBR at that time, but I probably wouldn't have done it. Gotta have the monkey! Basically my story with POTC, when I finally figured out about the game, found somewhere to play it and looked for one it was just when everyone was posting they were sold out, at least LE were. I was going to end up with SE shipped to me but found the LE for sale locally and jumped on it.

I was the in line for Wonka new and cancelled when the whole playfield thing started.

Did JJP offer new playfields to Wonka owners too? Anyone here get a credit for the discounted ones they purchased yet for POTC? In the other thread people were saying Jack called them and said they would get a credit. I didn't get a call or a credit, wondering what is going on there.

#12273 4 years ago

Rumors being posted about JJP running out of POTC parts and not going to produce any more. Has anyone heard or been told this by JJP?

Dedicated thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-running-out-of-potc-parts

#12317 4 years ago

I'll look into printing and selling it, koops has PM. You can also print right from thingverse if people didn't see that.

I was going to be working on an overall ramp support for the middle to fix that screw pushing up in to the bottom of the ramp and see if I could allow it to rotate the ramp a little (if needed) to align it with the BP better.

#12321 4 years ago

I'm printing them both right now and my ramp isn't installed so should be able to test soon.

#12323 4 years ago

Oh, btw... I printed a manual from an online supplier. I'll let you know how it turns out. It was about 50% of the cost of the actual manual, but not the full size. Something like 12x9 finished size, which isn't the right proportions either so there will be some blank space on the page.

I also removed the protection from the file so I could copy/paste from it. That was so freaking annoying. Had to find a site that would handle such a large file, not sure if I should post it but if people want it I can send it.

#12325 4 years ago

HAH... great design. The smaller one is actually a bit too tall for my game, which I think is going to be a situation with a lot of people. Game variances and such will make it so we need adjustability. koops and I are PMing on possible changes, he's already made one prototype. I think we'll have something really functionally awesome and solving a lot of alignment issues.

#12326 4 years ago

Might look better in a darker color, heh. Testing out some options here.

#12328 4 years ago

Not sure how it's going to work out with the lip. Gonna have to play with it on and see. Can only print so thin.

#12338 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I've got a cliffy on the way to protect the edge of the upper playfield. If you just need to add space to fill the gap, you might be able to just add a shim behind the cliffy on the side edge of that surface. Is that what you are after?

I thought someone said cliffy wasn't going to make them?

I think it looks weird only being a partial piece. Figured the protection would be nice, finishing the edge, blending in with a color other than stainless, etc.

#12341 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

He's making a batch of them. I put my order in last weekend (with the Bayou hole one too). He said the ones in the photos in the gallery from a week or so ago were just prototypes that someone was testing out for him. Since they were "approved", he's going ahead with them.

Make sure that you use a material can take a beating. I'll keep an eye out for how it it turns out.

Ah cool, more of my money going to Cliffy

Yeah, I was looking at what materials would be best. I think my best option at this point is PETG. I can't print nylon yet, waiting on some parts to upgrade.

#12346 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic or not, but that is the Stern PotC playfield, not the JJP one.

Yes, but will the Stern one have less clear coat issues?

#12352 4 years ago

Where's that clip of Jack saying they don't release games with unfinished code?

#12355 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The biggest item is the Break the Curse super wizard mode that has its own insert on the playfield. Also, polishing existing modes with additional choreography (lights shows, shaker motor effects, animations, etc) would be nice to see.

There are also a few legit issues and gripes with the current code, again listed in the other thread I started. I think those should be addressed.

#12360 4 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

Had some intermittent operation of the VUK to the Black Pearl. Looking at the optos, the problem became clear where the plunger had mashed the opto wires. Perhaps these wires might have been routed a bit better initially?[quoted image]

DOH.

#12370 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

With new code for DI and GB, I can see why JJPOTC people (me included) are jealous. The same kind of things were being said about TH and then Keith came through in a super big way with that update that took a while, but was well worth the wait. Keith likely has a lot on his plate and needs some dedicated time to think through the JJPOTC code and get back "into" it. Working an hour here and there on a big piece of code just doesn't let one dive into it. Hopefully he grabs some big blocks of time to dive back into it. His undivided attention to it would produce something great. It will happen - guessing within the next few months with the Wonka CE delays buying him some time. We should keep it to polite nudges instead of getting out-of-hand by jumping to conclusions that they abandoned the game and being upset about it … and pissing them off in the process as they rarely respond to stuff like that. Just a suggestion.

I'm sort of amazed that it's one dude doing all the coding, if that is the case. I can definitely commiserate with the block of time necessity, focus is paramount.

#12374 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Keith didn't do all of the code for JJPOTC, but is the lead coder on that game. It's already been said by JJP people that Keith is the one working on the final wizard mode. Joe has been busy with being the lead on Wonka, and recently Ted was busy with trying to solve the video lag occasional issue in DI (might be fixed with the DI code released today). There might be a timing break in the coders timeline soon, depending on the new pin (GNR) demands.

Ah makes sense. Since you seem to know, do you know what language they write in? It seems like JJP has a "code base" they created with WOZ and reuse parts of it, yea? Wish there was more info out there about the programming aspects of modern games, but I assume a lot of that is kept under wraps.

#12376 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Thanks guys, that manual is huge! A little intimidating. I’ll look it up next time lol. It cleared after I played a game.

After using it a few times you'll get used to it. The nice thing with the PDFs is the index/thumbnails and searching. Lloyd used to point me to pages, I used to email Shannan asking about parts without numbers... now I can find most everything in the manual. They are definitely works of art.

#12378 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I bought a printed manual actually. Thing is thicker than all five of my other manuals combined lol. I’ll get it. Very comfortable working under the hood now. I’ll get there. Will never be Lloyd the Great though

When I got my first WOZ it had like an 80 page manual or something.. I never really used it. When I got my 2nd WOZ it had the full manual, as thick as the POTC one I imagine. I looked back at the original one I had and it had like "coming soon" at the back sections, lol. Compared to the other game manuals I had from B/W games the small WOZ one was detailed and thick. Then when I saw the full one it was somewhat breathtaking. I printed my own POTC manual just for kicks, waiting for it to be delivered. Wonder how it will compare. I hardly crack the WOZ one, not only because it's easier and handier to use the PDF but also because it's so ... shiny and new. My grubby hands just mess it up.

#12385 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I was told by someone at JJ who shall remain nameless that the new official policy is for employees not to go on Pinside anymore because there is so much bashing. So whereas we used to have access to the people actually working on these machines, because of all the incredible hostility, the manufacturers aren’t going to come on here anymore. That’s a shame. I can’t say I blame them.

Seems self-inflicted. Like having a private google group as your only real means of communication. Getting out ahead of bad press would probably do wonders for the hostility. Even some announcement posts that weren't monitored would probably give a lot of credit. Heck, the playfield situation should have been announced and would have gotten fan fair but since it wasn't the benefit of that PR is lost. JJP seems to have a void when it comes to PR. And to really cut off communication with one of the largest online communities of your very specific customer base seems hella short sighted. Take the lumps, if you aren't doing shit wrong then you have nothing to worry about. Customers would come to your defense if there was defendable action.

1 week later
#12436 4 years ago

My self-printed manual arrived. It's 8.5x14" spiral bound. They screwed up and made the 2nd page both the cover and the 2nd page, so waiting to hear back on that. Otherwise it's fantastic quality. It was about 1/2 the price. Ordered it from zingprint.com. I wanted to get the metal wire binding, I think that is what is on WOZ manual, but apparently they didn't have that size in stock. Seems fine with the spiral, just not as fancy. The paper is very thick and glossy. The cover is a nice paper, just not printed with the actual cover design.

I must have chosen wrong on the binding, side instead of top... I don't recall. Probably better on the top, less page to turn.

#12459 4 years ago

I don't know why it's not entirely reasonable to expect a game to ship with all of the features it's sold as. Or at least not unreasonable to expect that those features be added quickly thereafter.

#12461 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The whole thing could be made much smoother with even a little effort at communication, but again that's just not something they seem to be interested in and to me it's another indication of how they really feel about their customers. Actions speak louder than words when it comes to how a company feels about its customers.

That's what it all comes back to. With the playfield, with code updates, other issues. JJP is silent except for announcing on social media when they have a code update or when someone sends them a picture of their machines out in the wild. I don't know what goes on in the Google group, can't get in, but that should not be the only place they relay info to customers. They have a huge email database, they should use it. Nothing makes people happier than being informed about updates, timing, etc. Keeps customers engaged, knowledgable and off your back.

Or, the other route is to shroud everything in mystery, make the customers wonder and work hard to get the information and support they need, etc. I mean how many people really know about the several replacement parts or kit fixes that are out of the POTC? The lest JJP could do is have a single public location they put all of this information. A minimum effort of email sending would go a long way, not to mention I bet they would see a substantial uptick in product sales if they threw up some JJP merch and offered it through the newsletters, maybe a discount code now and then for parts, etc.

Ah but what do I know. Then they would have to expose the ugly underbelly of the whole thing and the wizard behind the curtain might be disappointing.

#12465 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

A lot of this is our fault though - they used to be fairly accessible through
The google groups, and here on Pinside. Then the complaining started. My god, you can read only a few pages back about someone bitching about an ENTIRE play field JJP was going to ship them -for free- as a replacement after the play field clear debacle. Now I can’t excuse Jjp for that - I think they should sue whomever cleared the play fields for their losses, or hit up their insurance company. Anyway, but my point is the complaining is out of control

Chicken or egg, though? I mean, is it mischaracterizing the situation to suggest that JJP has had continued issues and poor customer interaction since the original WOZ playfield issues? Did they bring the complaining on themselves? Because they sure do it now. I don't think it's impossible for a company to have customer interaction in online spaces and be able to fend off and deal with complaints. Because if you are doing a good job, people want to sing your praises. I would loved to have helped JJP take a lead in the PR of the playfield swap they eventually seem to be offering (I haven't gotten a refund) and make it known far and wide that they were stepping up. But it's almost like some sort of masquerade that no one can know what is going on and everything is 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge that someone heard from someone. Maybe Jack dropped a note in this podcast or someone from JJP told this one guy who called them this other thing. I feel like they created the mess they are in by the way they showed their customers to treat them. If you stand up, take stock and handle your shit you dont have to worry about being overwhelmed by complaints. If you, however, hide in your own private forum and don't have any real contact publicly with your customers then you've drawn a line in the sand.

How far would a god damn monthly email newsletter with little important pieces of information go? Like "Hey, if you have this old snubber bracket on your POTC fill out this form and we'll get you the fix" .... you know? Not really that hard to do and then you have an atmosphere of inclusion and upfront behavior. Instead there are upset people because they aren't being treated how you would expect to be treated by a company that takes so much of your disposable income for a game/hobby. This isn't a need, no one HAS to buy a pinball machine... but surely those who save up, drop what amounts to almost a new car cost on a wooden box with some flippers, they want to be treated as if they matter to the company.

#12467 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Me too!
I read most of it. Looks like there is a battery that needs to be replaced every 3 years.

Not only that... you just have to do it with the game on. No biggie. LOL

I read the method.. I have done a lot of legit stupid things but this sounds like a pucker moment. Less so on the vertical motherboards, but I have to do it on my WOZ which is horizontal. I'm trying to remember if, back in the day when we worked on PCs, replacing a BIOS battery always cleared the BIOS. I know we never did it with the machine on, so it must have. Seems like there should be a way to get around that with a clip on battery or something, you know, just temporary while changing the battery, versus the game being on. Seems logical enough, is there no where else to wire up a coin cell to for a temporary supply?

#12478 4 years ago

Well, koops went way out of his way to improve upon his BP ramp support and alignment piece. He was kind enough to take my plethora of input and changes to make something that should work for everyone. I printed out a test today and am going to be testing it out later tonight to see how it all fits and works. If everything goes well then I should have some ready to ship this week.

Pic is missing one piece I was still printing. Uses set screws to adjust the saddles to level and support the left and right side of the ramp.

#12483 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Just curious. How did the pin holdup when it was out on route? What were some of the things that didn't hold up?

Any how many plays?

Mine was on route before I got it, nothing unique compared to whatever everyone else posted but only 2500 plays.

2 weeks later
#12752 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Here's my solution to help with the ball bouncing between the top and bottom rails when transitioning from the inner orbit. I added a small bracket behind the top rail at the point where the ball tends to impact. Conveniently there was already an unused screw point in the playfield in the exact spot. This removed all the flex in the rail at that point and reduces the bounce effect. My initial testing indicates it definitely helps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Might want to trim that other bracket. Although preventing the flex it might not be an issue now, but it still kills me that it's sticking out past the guide. I'm definitely going to give this a shot, can't hurt and I'm guessing we're narrowing down issues here.

#12753 4 years ago

Btw, someone asked a while back. I did get a manual printed, $50 or so. It does not come with the "making of" pages but it was printed the same size and quality of the original (compared to my WOZ, at least). They even printed me some extra covers for POTC and WOZ (my woz was all messed up). Sadly, I screwed up and coil bound it on the left side instead of the top but cest la vi it still works. Although I find myself running upstairs to look at the PDF more often than pulling out the bound manuals. So much easier to search the PDF.

It was more a fun experiment than anything.

Gabriel at zingprint.com took care of me, went above and beyond.

#12756 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Yeah, the first time I removed the BP I was sure that bracket sticking out below the rail was the cause of the missed orbits, but it does not touch the ball.
Fabricating the metal bracket took about 30 minutes but I think a well designed 3D printed plastic part might work just as well. It would have to be really strong because it's going to take a beating.

I was able to get the ball to hit the bracket with my hand but never investigated further since I just cut it and then I didn't have to worry; eliminated one possibility.

Could easily make a support for there, it would be very strong.

Quoted from arzoo:

I've done some more play testing and although the extra bracket helps reduce the rail flex, I'm not sure how beneficial it is; some shots seem to loop better, but many are still failing. The real solution would be to change the shape of the inner orbit rail, but since the mounting points are fixed, we would have to change the curve by adding an additional metal piece and I have no idea how that could be done.

Could make a part to fit here as well. Not sure how well a printed part would hold up to ball wear but I would bet pretty good if printed in a good material and solid.

#12768 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

My wife says she can make it from the left flipper, but I've never actually SEEN her do it!

The wife is never wrong.

2 months later
#13686 4 years ago

Anyone interested in a better topper? I've been working on some ideas and they are also lightly integrated with gameplay. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be easy to install and provide some fun interaction.

#13688 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How about we do a kickstarter to get some new code instead...

Hey, at least we have a completed manual! Poor Wonka folk.

Believe me, if we could get access to modify the code I'd be all over it. The code request thread I started has at least 15+ good changes that need to be made. Maybe we'll get to a v1 one of these days.

#13696 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Wonka has a manual now.

Key word was completed.

#13700 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Scott, anything you can offer the curious people here. Any pictures?

Nope, but Heater is on the right track. Pirate skull with movement, ships, gold, lighting interaction with game. I am researching a few elements and how best to accomplish them.

#13715 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

TWIP picture's worth a thousand words...
[quoted image]
Jack will make more. Whether he knows it right now or not. There's too much money sitting on the table.

What if licensing is a prohibiting factor? Isn't that what we were told?

#13716 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Anybody else getting tired of the "couple more weeks" response from Jack on your replacement playfield? Seriously, it has been since September 5th when I addressed my playfield issues with him. Guess my money is safe from buying another JJP until this is taken care of.....
Good luck Jack, I haven't forgot!

Yeah, I'm not getting a Wonka anymore for my next pin, Spooky is my new favorite (R&M!!).

I paid for the replacement discounted playfield, Jack never contacted me after he contacted others telling them about the free playfield (but I don't think any announcement was ever made anywhere). I disputed my charge since he never responded to my contacting him and they denied the claim, CC company never contacted me so I don't know why and I haven't called them yet. Sounds like I am out $550 for the thing everyone else will get for free. If/when others get their free playfields I'll contact JJP again and see if they will make this right.

JJP really dropped the ball on this. Such a sad showing of "committed to their satisfaction"....

#13742 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

The code is fine as it stands except for the missing wiz mode that 95% of owners will never get to. You were commenting on other threads that you don’t understand the rules. A code update isn’t going to help you understand them any better.

There must be 5-10 actual bugs identified in the code request thread, some which sound like they aren't going to get taken care of in the next release which is sad.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-code-change-game-play-requests-

#13743 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

But Stern has actually sent people the promised unpopulated playfields. And properly staffs and supports its in-house tech/customer service group. I have no idea if their business is in trouble, but there are definitely signs that they are compromising customer service and goodwill to improve short -term profitability.

The inconsistency and non-responsiveness is pretty amazing. People still buy the games, why should they change? The only real stink that was made were a few people contacting JJP, maybe one or two mentions on Kaneda's podcast and the things I did. But it's all swept under the rug because no one wants to take any further action.

I've never been treated worse for a product that costs anywhere near this amount. Sadly, there are some good eggs at JJP who do their best but with leadership that doesn't seem to care about all customers equally there isn't anything they can do.

1 week later
#14024 4 years ago

Doing some work on a JJP ecosystem lighting kit. It's an overall system that provides control and power to any number of lighting elements you can install across various JJP games. I have 5 different options for POTC right now. Two of those have interactive game lighting elements that I think will be a great addition to gameplay. The release version will have individual RGB controls for all lighting elements where it makes sense to set colors. Control will be via remote (provided), phone app, wifi or home assistant (alexa, etc) for individual elements. You can set color, change brightness, turn each light element on or off. All lighting elements are directed/specific to an area/game. All pieces of the system are plug and play, clean installs.

Here's the first set of POTC items. Not pictured it the backboard lighting, I have it on my WOZ but not putting it on POTC as I don't need it but it is available if people want it. Maybe I'll try a nice wash in a dark/dim color and see how that looks.

Working on the other 3 right now, some interact with other elements we will be releasing soon so those will have to coincide. I'm also working on a generic option for custom RGB controlled LED strips for any part of the game you want to add to.

0203201628 (resized).jpg0203201628 (resized).jpg0203201654 (resized).jpg0203201654 (resized).jpg0203201654a_HDR (resized).jpg0203201654a_HDR (resized).jpg0203201654c_HDR (resized).jpg0203201654c_HDR (resized).jpg0203201654d_HDR (resized).jpg0203201654d_HDR (resized).jpg
#14027 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Same here - have been unable to eliminate that gap - that’s the furthest forward it will go because of the brackets it rocks on.

I use a combination of BP ramp support, BP alignment/protection kit and moving my ramp flap holes slightly. Shameless plug, but I use and like them both.

https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/black-pearl-ramp-support
https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/potc-black-pearl-actuating-protection-amp-alignment-kit

BP stays in a fixed place now (can't slide fore/aft), ramp doesn't sit on the screw under the middle and I can tilt/raise/lower the top of the ramp to match the BP.

#14055 4 years ago

I hope the use the wifi for something more than updating the game. At least backups of game data, sharing of scores. Maybe bring your friends' scores to your machine. Remote tournaments (like zaphX did when we first got our games) with interactive video sharing, etc.

Can't wait!

1 week later
#14157 4 years ago

Now that I've been playing my game a bit more I have some thoughts and questions.

1. A STDM ball save really is needed. I'm going to do some mechanical changes like others have done but it's lame when you drain from the chapter select or tortuga hole. On that note, why are VUKs never consistent? The tortuga seems to change from ball to ball. I've heard "after they warm up" and such before, but that coil is used once every so often, it should be pretty much the same condition each time I would think. Flippers are consistent, right? Which flipper do you have it hit when ejecting (I can't remember, I've asked before)?

2. It would be awesome to have a different sound for each state of a lock target hit on the chest. Hitting a blinking arrow versus hitting a solid arrow versus hitting an unlit arrow. Not a lot of satisfaction of hitting the right shot and getting the same sound as the wrong shot.

3. Is there some code that prevents you from hitting both chest targets too quickly? I'll have a ball ricochet from target to target (yeah, I miss a lot guys) and i'll get two sounds for the unlock target but only the first one will trigger.

4. Did I do something or screw up my "skill shot angle"? I used to be able to make skill shots no problem, even with a few loops. I can't hit the map shot for anything but mostly on ball launch. I can easily hit the inner loop, which obviously is easier but I am wondering if my flipper power needs to change or maybe the cliffy is interfering.

#14160 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

1) It would be nice to have a 2 second ball save coming out of the star map area. Or adjust the magnet action so it never just pulls the ball straight back and instead always draws it back at an angle (if that's possible). Occasionally when the ball is sitting to the left side of the post it will be drawn straight back by the magnet, bounce flat off the back target, and come straight down the middle. Doesn't happen as much as it did before I put the post sleeve on, but still more often than I'd like. I had the same problems with Tortuga being completely inconsistent, but got good results getting it rock solid consistent by adding foam to the plunger rest. Here's a link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/273#post-5406195
3) I'm 99.9% sure I've had shots deflect off both chest targets and both targets registered, so one shot ended up enabling ball lock.
4) Is your deflector parallel with the back edge of the map hole? When I first put my cliffy in I couldn't get my deflector to stay tight because the metal deflector slipped on the metal cliffy and would angle slightly. That resulted in most shots hitting the deflector not going in when they should have because they were bouncing out to the right. I had to add rubber washers between the cliffy and the deflector to get the deflector to hold its position. Now the deflector stays parallel to the back edge of the map hole and shots off the deflector are going in again when they should.

As always great post. I'll check out all of those items.

#14161 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

You can deflect off 1 chest shot to the other and both register. The reason why it sometimes does and other times doesn’t is the momentum of the ball is hitting 2nd target from side so requires a bit more force for it to register

But I'm pretty sure I hear two sounds, so it would seem like it is hitting both. I just got my gopro working so I'll record a bit and play back in slow mo to confirm. That's why we need different sounds!

#14163 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

After aiming and tightening my tortuga vuk with loc-tite it still sends a ball SDTM quite often instead of to the left flipper. I happened to be working on the machine tonight (tightening one of the Pearl flippers which came loose) and saw eaglepin post above regarding the addition of foam on the plunger rest. I added this to mine and over the first several games and dozen or so times i landed in the tortuga it has been rock solid now every time to the left flipper like clockwork. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back over time. Seeming like a great tip though so far. Much appreciated!

Oh awesome to hear. I'm gonna take off the glass to do this and put something on the chapter select post to prevent those STDM and figure out what is wrong with my map hole.

I finally got the annoying audio cutting in and out fixed thanks to an owner on Facebook so I've been playing much more lately and that was annoying as hell.

#14168 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I found the map hole guard was misinstalled on my machine - it was leaning to one side because the support bracket was under it instead of on top. Fixing that improved map hole shots a lot.

Hum, I could very well have done that. Going to check today.

Quoted from EaglePin:

Is it possible to put something on the chapter select post that retracts?

I don't think so because the fit is very tight. I think others have added more rubbers to the left front post to push the ball over a bit to prevent the STDM direct path.

#14172 4 years ago

Funny looking at all the various pics the game has taken. Anyone else make funny faces? The ones at the end... oh boy

#14174 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I try to but I can never time it. My girlfriend does not even try and her pics turn out funny as hell!

It's on the "END" but you can't do too much or it won't detect your face.

But... did you watch the whole video?

#14178 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

harryhoudini and other pinball modders, I think this could be one hell of an amazing Pirates mod but I don't have the programming knowledge to pull it off. If someone can pull this maybe just sell me one of the mods at cost for the idea lol
I think that most of us Pirates owners would like to hear audio clips of the actors from the movies in the game. From what I've read there's no way to add this to existing code...

I think maybe my post was a bit too cryptic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/284#post-5475639

Working on some concepts for stuff like this.

#14180 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m just throwing this out there, but I wrinkled my cabinet decal on the right side of the head. I want to get a new one but i hate have four others wasted. Does anyone need any of the others so maybe I can split the cost with someone? It’s only $99 plus shipping for the whole set, so I’ll probably just pull the trigger.

YES. I need a front, when I moved the shooter rod to align it properly it exposed a screwed up decal where the rod was installed. Ugh.

PM me whatever you want for it and shipping.

#14182 4 years ago

Maybe no one watched the video... here's a screenshot. See anything interesting?

#14189 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh wow I think this is the first time we've seen anything code wise altered on a JJP game outside of an official release. Awesome stuff. Looking forward to what's next!
With what you've done so far do you think it will eventually be possible to edit existing audio files?

I think editing existing media assets would be the most basic thing, as you can see. Adding new assets and modifying other items is what is being worked on.

#14192 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Fantastic work! If it could be manipulated like pinsound that would be amazing. I’m thinking of folders for a specific game action that will call a random audio sample out of a given folder. Endprodukt made an amazing Indiana Jones mix with some original assets. It never gets old because for any given game action, there might be five audio samples that could be called randomly.

Yeah, that would probably be the first option. Ideally way more control and functions but haven't had a chance to dig in to it enough. We have a crapton of WOZ mods coming so been busy with that. Have a few more POTC coming out, the rear chest cover that people had asked for in the chest mod thread is one.

#14193 4 years ago

Just doing a little chest welding on a holiday weekend. Same place on both, not ironically. Not the best design when you bend one of the pre-bent sections again and it snaps off. Well, now it's double thick and you can't really bend it that easily.

#14197 4 years ago

So does everyone else have their slings turned all the way down? Seems like the scale on that setting is off. Wonder if that is something that can be fixed in code. I'd like to lower mine more, maybe just have to change the coil to something smaller. I still get stuff bouncing off the glass and ending up in the shooter lane or over the flipper. I am wondering if Titan isn't the best ring and flipper rubber for this game, it seems way too bouncy. I have the same rubber on my TOTAN and I can trap and catch balls much easier on that game. I'd like to compare it to my WOZ but I need to get it back together first.

#14209 4 years ago

As someone who SHOULD REALLY own a Houdini but can't convince myself to give up a slot to put it in my room I can say the two reasons I don't are because the shots are rediculously hard which makes it less than fun and the animation/graphics are a slap in the face to the great Erich Weiss and Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin. No but really, they suck horribly. A "chiller" font fluorescent turd.

Quoted from Psw757:

I was wondering the same as my slings are set as low as the go and very randomly they will go haywire and fire one off the glass and up over to the drain or shooter lane.

There is definitely a momentum that gets going when they bounce off each other. I am going to bend my switches back and see if that helps. I would assume they aren't increasing in power through software but maybe it's just a mechanical frequency type thing of a ball getting shot back and forth between the two.

#14231 4 years ago

I am working on a belt drive to see if that will quiet it down.

#14242 4 years ago

LOL, PinMonk and LTG should go head to head in a "where does this part go" showdown.

So what's the strategy I need to take now that I'm finally able to hit most of the shots? I generally try to get all 5 multiballs lit, hit BP one first so I can try to get that jackpot and then just go nuts hitting every other possible thing I can hit for multiball/jackpot. Should I try to rack up some multipliers first?

Does it makes sense to have tortuga MB going on at the same time? I also try to toss a chapter in there so I might accidentally finish it while slinging the balls around.

Oh, and how does everyone have the right outlane rubbers setup for the "save"? I moved my donut from the right upper post to the lower left post and of course this saves the ball plenty easy. My wife is having a hard time with the game so I moved all the inlane posts to the easy position to give her a bit of a fighting chance. I have all of the high scores on all of the games in my house (not a big accomplishment) and the natives are getting angry.

#14245 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

vireland won. Better picture, more arrows.
LTG : )

Sure, maybe this one time, but I think you probably win with quantity and in a showdown probably edge him out in overall knowledge!

Anyone do the black lock mod? Lol... way too much money and time was spent installing those. Apparently the backbox lock is hard to find in black, at least it was for me. I should have just painted them.

#14246 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

When I played the prototype with Eric (and that you will see in his streams), the rubber donut was removed from both. I asked him about it and said that this was the design intent. The extra donut would be provided to either make it harder or easier - owners choice. Mine was removed.

Ah that's good to know. Having the donut on the upper one made it quite the feat to save it but you felt so good when you did. I'll take it off and see how it goes.

#14249 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you talking about the lock for the backglass?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LKA58BK

Did you do it or are you just suggesting the lock? Because the issue is with the tang fitting on the new one.

#14252 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh, I didn't change it. I just bent it a little on jjPotC and it works fine. I thought you were looking for a black-colored backglass lock.

Oh, I was being anal and changed the locks to black ones. The sizes are common but the tang on the backbox lock is cut just a bit weird for the common locks you can buy. That and it's extraordinarily long, that 5/8" one won't work. It's like 1", here I'll find the parts I ended up using from Amazon and post them below for anyone who wants to do it. I had to dremel out the inside of the tang to get it to fit on the new lock.

Backbox: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR022/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Oh yeah, it's 1/-1/8

Coin door: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR0267Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#14253 4 years ago

I don't remember reading anything about this in the beta release but I sure hope the Bayou and The Depths gets used more. Those two are wasted.

#14255 4 years ago

Why do my WOZ flippers feel so different to POTC? In fact, the playfield feels much more flat on WOZ. I'm sure I should check pitch, but is it me or are they different?

I can't quite put in to words what the difference is except that the WOZ ones feel soft, yet quick to snap and hit the ball. The ball bounces softly against them, as well as the slings, and its more of a "lope" around the playfield versus pirates even with the slings turned all the way down the flipper area feels so "fast" and "hard" in terms of forgiveness in the ball bouncing off stuff. Both games have titan rubbers of about the same age.

I assume there is probably a coil difference in the flippers since POTC has some very steep ramps close in versus WOZ with very long gradual shots. Are the slings somehow different? I would think the mechs are off the shelf and would assume JJP has no reason to change them so are the coils or geometry different somehow? Or is the code preventing the coils from going down low enough on POTC to get closer to how they are on WOZ?

It's funny how many shots on WOZ are almost mirrored on POTC. Tortuga/throne, Crystal ball/depths, VUK to upper playfield with flippers. I was pleasantly surprised since I've only been playing POTC for months and finally got some time on a very bare WOZ (so taken apart for mods, but enough stuff to almost play it). I thought I would have trouble with some of the shots and all the POTC time has me very quickly hitting those shots.

Speaking of which, while this is on my WOZ it's the same on POTC... the ball seems to hit the "gravity" door on the trough kickout (the hanging metal piece) fairly often and it has to be kicked out again. I turned up the coil and same thing, it looks like that is what is happening but maybe I'm not seeing it right. I don't see a way to adjust that hanging piece, I believe the prior owner had taped it back because of this. Any suggestions?

#14258 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

It’s not just you, WOZ is definitely floaty. So is Hobbit. That’s one of the reasons I initially held off on buying POTC. Not sure why they feel so different, but assume it has to be coil strength and/or settings.
Have you tried turning the kick-out power down to prevent issues with the ball gate? Maybe the high power is causing it to bounce around and interfere with the kick-out. If that doesn’t work, you can try buying another on Pinballlife or just remove.

Thanks, I'll try the lower power. It's weird because never had that issue on POTC. It almost looks like the one on WOZ hangs over just a bit more.

#14260 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

harryhoudini
Could your balls be magnetized causing the issue with your kickout? I’ve had same issue from magnetized balls.
(Yes, Pinballs)

I should check, I haven't in a while. Probably time for new balls. Oh and I should put some new pinballs in my games.

#14263 4 years ago

Nice! I am working on some replacements that would keep the flasher functional in terms of spraying the light across the playfield. I was missing that when they were covered up.

#14280 4 years ago

I tried ordering the pop bumper spinning toy..... DENIED!!
Not sure why they won’t sell.

I have my original one I could possibly part with. We also have the custom made ones for sale.

#14284 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint_of_Dust:

I also own Houdini and LOVE the early 1900s feel of the animations. AP did a great job of keeping the theme consistent while incorporating in modern tech. I love the game.

You meant early 1990's feel, right?

#14313 4 years ago

I did some adjustable cam levers on the handles instead of nuts, you can tighten and loosen them easily and the handle can stay in a position you like.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/8#post-3852098

Oh and I used a grinder to cut the posts, easy.

#14340 4 years ago
Quoted from MountZion:

I just got a Pirates LE from a fellow pinsider and I could not be happier - what a great machine. In anticipation, I've watched countless of hours of gameplay on youtube and looked at tons of pictures and I never once noticed the red light I have on my starmap. Red light comes on as soon as I power on the machine and seems to be behind the starmap but it's not one of the twinkling lights. It's on at all times.
I was just wondering if anybody knows if that light has any significance? Is it trying to tell me something ?[quoted image]

Red means not working. Green means working. No idea further than that, it's what I recall from the manual. It's definitely a status led.

#14342 4 years ago

Hum. Someone look at the manual! I'll be home later and can look

#14356 4 years ago

I wanted to note that I changed from Titan flipper rubber and sling rubbers to superbands (marco) and it makes a huge difference. Before the slings sort of flailed the ball around, I'd almost say they could be characterized as bouncy and same with the flippers. I could not trap a ball very easily, lots of bounces. Since I had them sitting around I swapped the superbands in and it made a huge difference. I was pretty sure the slings were 2.5" and that's what I put on and they are much much less stretchy than the titans. I might even try a larger size. I had to make my switches more sensitive as they are so tight they would not trigger.

I'm a huge titan fan but I think in this case maybe they are too soft.

#14358 4 years ago

I put superbands on my JPPrem and really like them. Thanks for the input on superbands on POTC

I didn't realize they would make so much difference. I've only really put titans on my machines.

#14367 4 years ago

I feel more control with the superbands than with the Titans.

Yeah, likewise.

#14391 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I get a returned e-mail that she is no longer with the company and another member will reach out to me.

FUCK.

That's not good. She was, by far, the most responsive person at JJP that I have dealt with.

Hey, @LTG.. doesn't it get tiring of having to reply to people who don't get a response from JJP? I mean, I see you doing it at least weekly if not more. Does JJP know they have a reputation as a company that doesn't get back to people?

I guess it goes back to the whole "unique industry" situation. You can't get the parts JJP sales from anyone else. As long as people clamor for the next game there is little motivation to change.

#14395 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Why should going through a distributor matter for getting tech service or parts support. I understand the distributors role in warranty claims, but basic, ongoing support is a different story. Just reinforces that leadership is no longer customer focused, they are seriously under resourced (under major budget pressures), and dealing with problems to minimize business impacts, i.e. playing favorites.

If a company is going to sell a product to the public and not just through a distributor they should provide the same kinds and level of service. Either push them all through distributors or offer better service, IMHO.

3 weeks later
#14643 4 years ago

Beauty shot. Waiting for my Comet order to get rid of some of those blaring white lights. Single LED warms are going in.

Photo_-_Google_Photos (resized).jpgPhoto_-_Google_Photos (resized).jpg
#14645 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Wrong thread? :p

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

1 week later
#14759 4 years ago
Quoted from Dexje:

while fixing my tortuga scoop I noticed that on a SE the pop bumper contains a LED light.
Did JJP forget this one in the code?
Its not part of the light test and I have never seen it lit while playing.

It is my understanding that all 4 pop bumpers have white LEDs on the SE. I may be forgetting but I know at least 2 have them and they should work.

#14762 4 years ago

I didn't want to show until we had a prototype, but we are skipping the spotlight all together. 1W RGB color selection LEDs on their own PCBs with a remote so you can set whatever color and brightness you want. We have these coming out for WOZ and POTC. Plug and play, quick install. POTC ones are modeled after the lamps found all over the POTC ride at Disneyland (and I presume are used in other parks but that's the only one I've been to and looked up). I am thinking we'll probably not do the cannons but we are testing an option with the lamps on a barrel (how they are used in the ride often) or crate. But you get the idea.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14790 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Can someone take a quick overhead picture of the area between the chest and the chapter start area?
I tore down my game for cleaning and to install the rest of the cliffys and when I put it back together it works and I had no extra pieces but my chest seems too leaned to the left. A locked ball shoots down to the chest arm and the arm holds it in the chest, but it really flexes it more so than I remember before. I think I may have stacked the metal chest connector tab on the top of the plastics on the right when maybe it should have gone underneath so I wanted to double check what that looks like. Thanks!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14792 4 years ago

Those definitely aren't the right posts. Must be backwards.

#14804 4 years ago

Just doing some test fitting... lots of lighting upgrades coming up for JJP games.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14807 4 years ago

You sure that's the right button? What is on the end of the plunger?

#14821 3 years ago

Some test painting. Interior reflectors channel the light up to the lantern. Working on an antique glass pattern now so it will be a milky transparent glass that helps diffuse the light while letting you see it.

#14823 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Nice job!!!!
Is it normal for the outermost chapter select switches to get hit a lot less during random chapter select than the middle ones? I’m not 100% sure but it sure seems that way....[quoted image]

Stick a skewer in there when in switch test mode and hit each one to see if they react the same. Might just need adjustment.

#14828 3 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Lookin' good! Who does the ukulele music?

Heh, that's Billie Eilish

3 months later
#15393 3 years ago

Hey ye land lubbers! Update that plain old flasher cover with something fun and unique. Flashers bright in your eyes? Diffuse the light but still keep the colors and luminosity of the fantastic RGB lighting. Can work in either flasher location however, designed to go by the Maelstrom Ramp. Other options are coming out for the other location soon.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-lighting/piratey-flasher-cover

Two different options, with or without barrel. Barrel has a mirror coating inside which reflects a ton of the light upward in to the glass. Limited quantity in stock and ready to ship.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-lighting/piratey-flasher-cover

ProductShot-LanternBarrel3 (resized).jpgProductShot-LanternBarrel3 (resized).jpgProductShot-LanternBarrel (resized).jpgProductShot-LanternBarrel (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern2 (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern2 (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern3 (resized).jpgProductShot-Lantern3 (resized).jpgProductShot-LanternBarrel2 (resized).jpgProductShot-LanternBarrel2 (resized).jpg
#15395 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Arrr! This landlubber's in - order placed! Gonna have to move my Mod Couple pooch/barrel flasher cover, but I've found a great spot to put the little guy.
Thanks Scott!

Thanks!!

2 weeks later
#15465 3 years ago

Thanks @tuna_delight!

I went with the clear skirts and black bodies, black looks great too!

#15471 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys I was doing some
Work adding a new amp to the back box everything fine but now my
Playfield has no leds at all . Everything works fine where should I look for the problem ??

Check fuses

5 months later
#16236 3 years ago

Would anyone be interested in this if we produced it? Was playing around with something other than just flickering white for my topper. Right now I have the whole lower strip acting as "flames" and the left printed flame is backlit with flames as well. Hard to get good lighting holding it like this but I can take some more video and write some decent code if this were of interest. I'm just gonna tinker with it on my own time if no one else cares.

#16238 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Left flame is looking really good there. Depending on price I would like that topper to be a bit more “animated”

Seems like it does a decent enough job even without the flame backlighting (right flame looks good). Wouldn't be too much, just a lighting strip and microcontroller and some connectors. I'm going to mess with doing it in the backbox too. Maybe even under cabinet.

1 week later
#16279 3 years ago

Should ye be ready we're getting ready to light up yer toppers. Pre-order is open for our Topper Lighting Enhancement mod. We expect to ship the first batch in 2-3 weeks.

https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/topper-flames-lighting-potc

Topper (resized).jpgTopper (resized).jpg
1 week later
#16337 3 years ago

Had a reboot in the middle of a game, haven't had that happen in a long time. Symptom I noticed was that during a chapter lights in the lower left side of the playfield (notably the purple and red skulls) had no lights. They came back but then I think I hit DMTNT MB and the game froze and rebooted.

That brought me to my question. Sometimes DMTNT is ready but the large purple arrow doesn't light up. The lower chapter lights indicates it is ready and I can hit it and start the MB. Is this an issue that's known? Am I missing something with the gameplay?

6 months later
#17030 2 years ago

Wondering how much interest there are in our apron magnets. We are out of two of the designs and I've had a few requests to get them printed again. Since we have to meet a minimum order I was hesitant but if there is enough interest I would place an order. The Davy and dark blue Skeleton ones are the magnets we are out of. We are also out of Davy decals so if you want a Davy version this would be the time to speak up. I don't think we'll order decals again since the magnets are, by far, the most popular. Feel free to PM me so I can gauge interest and not clutter up this thread.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-decals/apron-art-upgraded-decal-set-jjp-potc

**Ok plenty of interest so we've added inventory to the site and order is placed. Feel free to order and we'll ship out when they arrive, about a week or two. Also the light blue magnets are discounted as we ended up with extra as the vendor doubled the order accidentally.

Apron-Mock (resized).jpgApron-Mock (resized).jpgBlue-Preview (resized).jpgBlue-Preview (resized).jpgGreen-Preview (resized).jpgGreen-Preview (resized).jpgOcean-Preview (resized).jpgOcean-Preview (resized).jpg

1 year later
#17881 1 year ago

Welcome to belt drive. So quiet a baby could be sleeping in the same room. Video coming soon. Orders shortly after.

#17883 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Like it! I tend to like everything you make. Keep up the good work and count me in!

Thanks. Not to keep you waiting too long and because I don't like getting too much stuff like sleep...

#17884 1 year ago

Well, it says 57% upload.... so give it a bit. Probably about time to get some sleep.

#17896 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My only concern with a mod like this is: that belt is going to snap one day. You should sell the kit with a few spares, IMO.

The belt is a standard tooth and size that is extremely common for CNC and 3D Printing so it can be had easily. But we can offer extras, sure.

It's also fiber woven/reinforced and doesn't have all that much tension on it.

#17914 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:Quick question from new owner.....I've been fiddling with the autolaunch (and reading the troubleshoot thread about autolaunch issues) but I need to know what is the appropriate behavior. Yes, obviously it needs to get past the hill, but is the autolaunch supposed to be sending balls with good speed all the way around the orbit to the upper left flipper? Or is it too common on POTC to just have autolaunch balls barely reach the pearl and I should be thankful they get to the playfield?

Check the assignment of the auto launch forks and how they strike the ball. Also the setting for auto launch power. You'll want that working well for multi ball and not having each ball hit the pearl vuk.

#17915 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Just last week I bought your actuated chest mod....now I wish I waited just a few days so I could order this with it and save on shipping! Oh well.
Luckily.....the mod couple silencer was out of stock and I DIDNT place my order for that.....so I could get your superior silencer version!

Existing customers should watch their inboxes

#17921 1 year ago

I'm pretty sure all of the RGB LEDs that are on pirates are, in essence, standard 5v RGB common anode variants. So if they needed to be individually replaced with either a SMD style or bulb/through hole style diode it would be possible. If you wanted to replace that single bulb it would be fairly easy to clip that one off and put in a 5mm RGB LED. If you can determine if it is a connection issue then you can either repair the wire/connection or replace the bulb instead of replacing the whole harness, which JJP may not even have at this point.

#17922 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Will do! Emails going out today?

No, it will be a few days at least. We have several new products launching so they will all be grouped together with a discount for existing customers.

#17926 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Thanks. Oh, while you are here....I believe in your Pearl removal video, you were talking about adding thicker star map rubbers to help STDM drains. I can't find any other post about it though. Are there special thicker rubbers that like, titan has or are you thinking one larger Outer Diameter rubber that would fit around both front star map posts?
[quoted image]

I don't recall the size I used. But I think this seems to be the fix that might be the most engineered solution. However, I can't find the listing anymore on here so maybe it's available somewhere else. Travahontas might be able to chime in..

1 month later
#18048 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the belt drive orders! We weren't quite ready to ship which is why I didn't announce yet but we're working on them feverishly to get them ready. We have a small update to the design based on feedback from our testers so once that is complete we'll get them shipped. I would expect within the next several days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

673 posts in this topic match your search for posts by harryhoudini. You are on page 3 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/3?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.