(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 378.
#1801 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok your timing is well placed. While not Horrible I do find the disk a Bit to loud for my liking so in typical Mod Couple fashion I decided to investigate a bit further to see if there could be a user friendly solution. This issue is actually a combination problem. The plastic to plastic gear mesh is both loose and the gear floats which creates the known loud grinding sound. Second, that sound is basically transmitted to what technically a plastic Drum! The large disk amplifies the sound like a speaker which makes it a bit more pronounced. While I would (and could) make a new drive gear or possibly a rubber drive roller I wanted to try something slightly less costly and easier to implement. Soooo, I created a precision waterjet insert kit similar to what is used in automotive to sound dampen noise issues. Second, a precision snap in shim was created to the plastic drum floats less and now can ride on a plastic (wear resistant) shim instead of the bronze bushing. This allows a light layer of Lithium grease between the two. At this time I am testing the kit on my machine and it is much quieter. NOT silent just improved! Rather simple install took me 15 minutes or so. In conjunction with some light Lithium grease it appears to be a low cost solution. Not looking to get rich on these just trying to help out with an annoying problem. I will have these on our website this weekend for my estimate around $10 (buy your own grease!). Again, this mechanism will Never be a Swiss watch just trying to make it a bit less annoying. lol Hope some find this useful let me know if you have any questions.
The Mod Couple
www.TheModCouplePinball.com
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow thanks Mod couple, we really appreciate your mod's and pirate problem solving, like the ship lights and such. and your reasonable prices .
so on that note let me share a shooter rod mod on the cheap. here's how I made mine below you can too for under 15$ or if you don't have the time I can whip up some for 35$ shipped not 98$ + shipping. like some others.. I'm not in the mod business just want to help out on this easy to make cheap mod. pinball is expensive enough. Pm me if your interested.

20181215_090059 (resized).jpg20181215_090059 (resized).jpg20181215_090338 (resized).jpg20181215_090338 (resized).jpg20181215_090817 (resized).jpg20181215_090817 (resized).jpg20181215_090830 (resized).jpg20181215_090830 (resized).jpg20181215_100141 (resized).jpg20181215_100141 (resized).jpg20181215_102013 (resized).jpg20181215_102013 (resized).jpg
#1802 5 years ago

If I install version .97, does that reset high scores? My daughter and I have a competition and don’t want to lose the current scores.

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

If I install version .97, does that reset high scores? My daughter and I have a competition and don’t want to lose the current scores.

Yes, upgrades will wipe scores. Connect a USB thumb drive and use the backup utility in the setup (utility) menu. It will also save your game settings etc...

#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Wow thanks Mod couple, we really appreciate your mod's and pirate problem solving, like the ship lights and such. and your reasonable prices .
so on that note let me share a shooter rod mod on the cheap. here's how I made mine below you can too for under 15$ or if you don't have the time I can whip up some for 35$ shipped not 98$ + shipping. like some others.. I'm not in the mod business just want to help out on this easy to make cheap mod. pinball is expensive enough. Pm me if your interested.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing. I saw the other post with the price of the coin from amazon but it was too late, a friend and I had already dropped $124.68/ea CDN for the other ones!

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Yes, upgrades will wipe scores. Connect a USB thumb drive and use the backup utility in the setup (utility) menu. It will also save your game settings etc...

Does that also save high scores?

#1806 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

Does that also save high scores?

Yes indeed as well as games played etc...

#1807 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok appreciate the kind words but possibly something was lost in translation. The gears JJP used Are plastic and that is the issue!! They are not metal or grease would have 100% been the solution. This kit reduces the noise though I want everyone to know I am also working on a Replacement drive gear that will have the same arbor core only the teeth will be neoprene. That Should 100% eliminate the drive train noise along with this sound dampening kit. As this is a low friction drive I believe this replacement will last a LONG time. I promise to do this but Know it is not on my plate today so no need to PM lol. I am Hoping to have this done over the holidays. We Will get these amazing ships sailing swiftly and Silently to the next adventure!!! aghhhhhh
The Mod Couple

Damn, you’re def right. I just have never seen a plastic gear that loud, it literally whines like a metal straight gear. Why didn’t they use a helical or delrin gear? Plus the mod 1 pitch seems slightly overkill for the application, but I guess you don’t have too many gears making a Quick transitions like this does. Hopefully your mod helps with the noise because it’s my only real complaint about the pin, otherwise it’s pretty perfect.

#1808 5 years ago

Another machine with a broken wire. Wish me luck!

69A1A166-E484-4795-8B8B-A4E6BE9BA631 (resized).jpeg69A1A166-E484-4795-8B8B-A4E6BE9BA631 (resized).jpeg
#1809 5 years ago

Mod Couple mods applied! Looking very nice!

0B759426-5EED-413C-B025-91B84C4044B5 (resized).jpeg0B759426-5EED-413C-B025-91B84C4044B5 (resized).jpeg
#1810 5 years ago

LTG Hogbog a suggestion. How about labeling the wires for the ship?

6D1FFB87-2B71-411E-940A-44A51F32E32C (resized).jpeg6D1FFB87-2B71-411E-940A-44A51F32E32C (resized).jpeg
#1811 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

How about labeling the wires for the ship?

I'm for it. I mentioned it quite some time ago.

LTG : )

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

Another machine with a broken wire. Wish me luck!
[quoted image]

That is all to familiar. In test mode today, I had the ship rock back and for and I looked hard for any wire not moving as one with the whole ship as I'm tired of soldering wires back on. I realize that this ship is a more complicated cool toy, that moves constantly during play, and like it a lot. I cut a few more zip ties as I soldered the EOS switch today and adjusted and pulled some wires to create slack. I believe I'm good to go and love this pin. I can't help to think that over time if the many other POTC's ships is not thoroughly checked, there will be many more soldering wires back on for the early pins. Even if you have a later manufactured POTC, I would check that on first on boot up.

I broke 3.4 Million today, two chapter wizard modes but mine is setup for 5 balls for the family so for those of you who only do 3 balls, take this with a grain of salt....

20181215_151611 (resized).jpg20181215_151611 (resized).jpg
#1813 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing. I bought the coin last week for a key chain decor but now I'll make a shooter rod.

#1814 5 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Damn, you’re def right. I just have never seen a plastic gear that loud, it literally whines like a metal straight gear. Why didn’t they use a helical or delrin gear? Plus the mod 1 pitch seems slightly overkill for the application, but I guess you don’t have too many gears making a Quick transitions like this does. Hopefully your mod helps with the noise because it’s my only real complaint about the pin, otherwise it’s pretty perfect.

I agree there are several other directions they could have gone with this drive but it is what it is so to speak. Game is just TO awesome not to try and make minor improvements. As I try not to judge a result solely on my impression I did install another kit on a friends machine and he was More than impressed. Again not Swiss watch silent but drastically improved were his comments. Just trying to make a minor contribution to fine tuning this masterpiece of a game. Sounds like we need to work on an automatic switch soldering mod....lol JK! With all of the technical toys and creativity they designed into this game a few minor improvements were to be expected.

#1815 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

That shooter looks fricken awesome thanks for taking the time to share the detailed process! Looks like I'll be in the woodshop next week!

#1816 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I broke 3.4 Million today, two chapter wizard modes but mine is setup for 5 balls for the family so for those of you who only do 3 balls, take this with a grain of salt...

That is a nice score for sure but there is far more to that than just '3 ball vs 5 ball'. This is not to bust your balls, just to share thoughts.

I find the posting of scores pointless as there are way too many variables to consider. This is completely an 'apples to orange' type of thing. There are so many variables and combinations within the settings that scores are irrelevant between pins.That's why I find the QR Code, neat in theory but not useful. I've seen some say; here is my score with 'factory settings' but what does that really mean and how would most people know what settings are set? Even out of the box settings can be different between pins. The 3 local POTC LE pins, mine and our friend's each had different settings.

What settings have been changed beyond that? From ball save time (main ball and each MB), individual difficulty levels for each and every option, to the physical adjustments for the outlines and possibly the pitch of the pf? Although the last two can't be shown in software, the rest can. It is those type of details that would help create relevancy in a posted score and % of completion. (IE: 5-ball, Extra Easy, 15 second ball save(s) and closed outlines, no 'other' changes... '10million and finished the entire game!'.

It would be cool if there was a way to create a balanced comparison of some sort. IE: if installing the 'install 3-Ball' would generate a code/value (like a checksum value) that would be the same on all software and that would be displayed along the the score somehow. Any changes to the settings within would alter the code so it would be easily determined that it was not a straight 3-Ball setting. A variation of this would be the ability to share configuration settings (assuming that changes have been made beyond one of the fixed installs) of just the game related settings. This would still show the checksum type value but create more of an apples to apples comparison. If you think about it, one could change a bunch of settings, score a 3.4 Million, have buddies come over and make everything harder until they leave. Sounds ridiculous but entirely doable and I'm sure that some do it.

I'd like to be able to select a configuration and play it comparing my progress and scoring with others online just not sure how that is even possible at present. An example would be having the ability to watch a stream; JJP's or Kevin's etc... and downloading their game only type settings to challenge myself with on my own pin.

Hats off to Ted Estes back in the day with his TZ scoring and how he prevented buy-in scores to post to the main HS list, very cool idea!

#1817 5 years ago

Pirates pickup day!

#1818 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Pirates pickup day!

On a Sunday? Lucky guy, congrats!

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

ltg hogbog a suggestion. How about labeling the wires for the ship?
[quoted image]

I'll reach out to production on this. The connectors for the optos are supposed to be color coded to match the opto controller board. The rj45 actually doesn't matter where it's plugged into that light board with all the jacks, since it's a parallel bus network (I designed that back in the Hobbit days, and it's still going strong)

Thanks for the feedback!

#1820 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That is a nice score for sure but there is far more to that than just '3 ball vs 5 ball'. This is not to bust your balls, just to share thoughts.
I find the posting of scores pointless as there are way too many variables to consider. This is completely an 'apples to orange' type of thing. There are so many variables and combinations within the settings that scores are irrelevant between pins.That's why I find the QR Code, neat in theory but not useful. I've seen some say; here is my score with 'factory settings' but what does that really mean and how would most people know what settings are set? Even out of the box settings can be different between pins. The 3 local POTC LE pins, mine and our friend's each had different settings.
What settings have been changed beyond that? From ball save time (main ball and each MB), individual difficulty levels for each and every option, to the physical adjustments for the outlines and possibly the pitch of the pf? Although the last two can't be shown in software, the rest can. It is those type of details that would help create relevancy in a posted score and % of completion. (IE: 5-ball, Extra Easy, 15 second ball save(s) and closed outlines, no 'other' changes... '10million and finished the entire game!'.
It would be cool if there was a way to create a balanced comparison of some sort. IE: if installing the 'install 3-Ball' would generate a code/value (like a checksum value) that would be the same on all software and that would be displayed along the the score somehow. Any changes to the settings within would alter the code so it would be easily determined that it was not a straight 3-Ball setting. A variation of this would be the ability to share configuration settings (assuming that changes have been made beyond one of the fixed installs) of just the game related settings. This would still show the checksum type value but create more of an apples to apples comparison. If you think about it, one could change a bunch of settings, score a 3.4 Million, have buddies come over and make everything harder until they leave. Sounds ridiculous but entirely doable and I'm sure that some do it.
I'd like to be able to select a configuration and play it comparing my progress and scoring with others online just not sure how that is even possible at present. An example would be having the ability to watch a stream; JJP's or Kevin's etc... and downloading their game only type settings to challenge myself with on my own pin.
Hats off to Ted Estes back in the day with his TZ scoring and how he prevented buy-in scores to post to the main HS list, very cool idea!

This is a neat idea that would make the qrcode way more useful when sharing scores. Pindigo support storing the qrcode with your HS picture would be great. It would give pindigo the ability to you allow you diff your scores amongst your peers and see what settings were different. Ideally Stern would support this on LCD titles as well. Its a bit of a pipe dream, but would be a lot better method to share scores and have an idea of what they really mean.

#1821 5 years ago

pickleric

Exactly, even if there were only one or two canned 'installs' that you could validate scores against for this global type of score keeping, that would be cool! These scores could have a single or double character code that would show that this was achieved with one of the two installs. All other scores would have been achieved outside of these and would only be of value to you in your home. Why does Walter Day and Billy Mitchell come to mind when I think of scoring?

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

I'll reach out to production on this. The connectors for the optos are supposed to be color coded to match the opto controller board. The rj45 actually doesn't matter where it's plugged into that light board with all the jacks, since it's a parallel bus network (I designed that back in the Hobbit days, and it's still going strong)
Thanks for the feedback!

Those connectors are color coded with a stripe on the connector edge itself as it plugs into the board. Problem arises when you are trying to identify a switch, namely an opto, and all the wires are the same colors for both optos going through both playfields. Of course, the information is available in the manual, just hard to identify the right set of wires amidst that snakes nest of wires running from the ship.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I appreciate the thoughts and it would be great to have a balanced comparison etc as you mentioned. After spending time soldering it was nice to have a good run with stacking multiballs with 6x and the opportunity at a couple wizard modes, just sharing the joy of playing overall...

#1824 5 years ago

I get my POTC LE tomorrow and it feels like Christmas came early. So excited!

Going to pick out some mod couple mods next.

Are any of you using aftermarket pinballs such as Marco Silverjet premium?

#1825 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

They will magnetize....

#1826 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They will magnetize....

Thanks. Any suggestions on some that won’t?

#1827 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks. Any suggestions on some that won’t?

I'm using Carbon Steel from Ball Baron...

https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

#1828 5 years ago

I’m sure it’s been asked before but is the chest a physical ball lock still?

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

I’m sure it’s been asked before but is the chest a physical ball lock still?

Yes, it is.

#1830 5 years ago

Thank you kindly.

#1831 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yes what BigD said. We tried a Shiny ball set in Pirates and almost Instantly the balls were magnitized and would not roll through the ball trough. Never seen that much myself but there are some serious awsome magents on POTC. Put the Barron or stock balls in the game and it functioned perfectly. Congrats on your awsome new game!! I helped wrap it. Lol. FYI it’s as heavy as a Tank!!

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes what BigD said. We tried a Shiny ball set in Pirates and almost Instantly the balls were magnitized and would not roll through the ball trough. Never seen that much myself but there are some serious awsome magents on POTC. Put the Barron or stock balls in the game and it functioned perfectly. Congrats on your awsome new game!! I helped wrap it. Lol. FYI it’s as heavy as a Tank!!

I hired some muscle to move it

#1833 5 years ago

Kristin surprised me yesterday and said ours is coming Tuesday! And Monster Bash on Monday.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Also just placed my first order with you. Looking forward to it!

#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Kristin surprised me yesterday and said ours is coming Tuesday! And Monster Bash on Monday.

Sweet!

#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Now you can make some cool mods for it. Not sure what else can be made, but I'm sure you'll come up with something.

#1837 5 years ago

Game is in the house and updating code now.

First thing I noticed is that the screen by default is very washed out. After adjusting the contrast of the screen from 50 to 85 or so, it's much better. Much more pop - just requires to you unhook the tv lock and bring it out.

EDIT - still waiting for code to update. In the meantime I noticed there are tip screens in b/w balls. Anyway to turn those off?

#1838 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Game is in the house and updating code now.
First thing I noticed is that the screen by default is very washed out. After adjusting the contrast of the screen from 50 to 85 or so, it's much better. Much more pop - just requires to you unhook the tv lock and bring it out.
EDIT - still waiting for code to update. In the meantime I noticed there are tip screens in b/w balls. Anyway to turn those off?

Yep, in the settings menu.

#1839 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Yep, in the settings menu.

just found it. Now I'm looking to find the setting that dumps out balls that were locked in previous game.

Topper in person is much nice than online.

#1840 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Being able to send your game settings to a QR code that could be scanned into another machine would be really, really cool to help promote competive play remotely.

#1841 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Now I'm looking to find the setting that dumps out balls that were locked in previous game.

Gone from JJP games.

If everything is working, they should automatically do this.

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gone from JJP games.
If everything is working, they should automatically do this.

yep just realized the same. works without me doing it. Too bad there isnt a GI brightness like the hobbit. That game would get really bright. Seems like JJP removed this option - not sure why.

#1843 5 years ago

As promised, the JJP Pirates "Disk Silencer kit" is now listed and available from our website store to ship next day. As soon as Kingpin gets my CE POTC replacement (Praying in the next week...) I will finalize the hardened neoprene replacement drive gear. For most I suspect the Silencer kit will be enough to satisfy but I am committed to finding the complete solution for the few that want a more stealthy pirate ship lol. The drive gear will take some time as I want to test it well and play with different tooth pitch configurations to determine the best option for sound and long term wear. Fairly simple install with instructions. Thanks to all for your support and feedback.

The Mod Couple

IMG_1615 (resized).jpgIMG_1615 (resized).jpg
#1844 5 years ago

Smoothest standard body meet the smoothest widebody!

I'm really getting into the code and things are making sense but sometimes I get in the upper pf and it's like I've already qualified the sails but didn't do anything

Best upper pf in the game. Period.

20181216_210010 (resized).jpg20181216_210010 (resized).jpg

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Smoothest standard body meet another widebody.
I'm really getting into the code and things are making sense but sometimes I get in the upper pf and it's like I've already qualified the sails but didn't do anything
[quoted image]

Congrats awesome setup. I can't help but chuckle at the photo. I suspect the disclaimer on DI was not a warning about the guy that jumps out of the back of the machine to take your pictures. lol (Yes I know thats a mirror) Just imagined a poparazzi Mod where a guy jumps out of the game and takes your picture.

#1846 5 years ago

So I hate to point this out to people, but why is the topper not centered on the LE? Can’t unsee it now.

#1847 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Great Job.

Any chance shipping it to Germany?

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

We tried a Shiny ball set

I just put super shiny balls in from Titan. Is this the same as you had in or different. Wondering how well they will work? Will also be ordering the silencer kit.

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I feel like this happens to me sometimes too. The Black Pearl skill shot will advance things one step but it does seem like there are times where the game 'spots' you a step when accessing the ship during normal gameplay (not via the ramp though). Code/rules are so deep in this game I'm guessing there is something that triggers it that I'm not paying attention to.

Or it could just be a bug I suppose!

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As promised, the JJP Pirates "Disk Silencer kit" is now listed and available from our website store to ship next day. As soon as Kingpin gets my CE POTC replacement (Praying in the next week...) I will finalize the hardened neoprene replacement drive gear. For most I suspect the Silencer kit will be enough to satisfy but I am committed to finding the complete solution for the few that want a more stealthy pirate ship lol. The drive gear will take some time as I want to test it well and play with different tooth pitch configurations to determine the best option for sound and long term wear. Fairly simple install with instructions. Thanks to all for your support and feedback.
The Mod Couple
[quoted image]

This kit helps a lot as I have had two JJP POTC's and one of them was The Mod Couples old game with the kit installed as they are getting the CE and there game was a lot quieter than my other one. Not sure why they are working on the gears as this one I can hardly hear while playing the game already. Two thumbs up for this one.

Thanks Mod Couple

Bill

56669834852__0B9D31FE-4E1F-47F1-BDCB-EB00307BC091 (resized).JPG56669834852__0B9D31FE-4E1F-47F1-BDCB-EB00307BC091 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/37?hl=energyspike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.