(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,759 posts
  • 632 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Tiltbob
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20231125_123616 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,759 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 376.
#18601 3 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I have a CE with the official topper, but also got that one from Europe with the video screen on the back. Can anyone w/ CE comment who did the swap was it worth the swap?

It’s not. It’s an attempt at reproducing the official CE topper. I don’t know why anyone would replace their CE topper. I bought the Elite topper for my LE as that was the only option available to us to surpass the original LE topper. I wouldn’t mess with the CE at all. Leave it to it’s natural glory sir…

#18602 3 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm glad Jack finally put this to rest. Personally I'm not planning on selling, but Pirates is definitely the most valuable pin in my collection.

Here is Jack's quote:
"I guess that's why the rearview mirror is small and the windshield is big. We're going forward and we really don't have time to go backwards and re-run things that we did in the past. I'm not looking at Vault games. I'm not looking at re-running things. I'm really not looking at that stuff. It's not in the plan of the Company to do that."

Jack is the consummate practitioner of making you think he has answered your question without actually saying anything. Say you are Jack and after you have decided to do a rerun of any game, someone throws this quote in your face. How would you respond other than to say, I never said we wouldn't do it. Re-read the quote, how many words like "won't", "aren't", and "never" did you find?

In Jack's defense, this is a bad question to be asked and one that he, (or any manufacturer), will never and should never answer directly.

If I were Jack and this question was asked to me, this is what I would be thinking:

"Thank you Loserkid for asking me this question yet again. As you know, I get this question daily and I will never give a specific answer because it is a lose-lose for me and my company to say anything definitive on this subject. The most truthful answer that I could ever give to this question is; Our mission is to make the most amazing pinball machines ever produced because we love pinball. In our industry survival depends on keeping what we're going to produce and when were going to produce it a secret. When it makes sense, we share our plans, but not before. We do this to maximize sales, live to fight another day, and continue to push the envelope on what pinball can be. Since this answer won't satisfy you enough to change the topic, I will instead provide you with an allusion to the past and the future and how it relates to our short term plan*, then, you can decide what it means to you, and I can run my business as I see fit."
*(our 'plan' is carefully thought out but always subject to change.)

#18603 3 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Here is Jack's quote:
"I guess that's why the rearview mirror is small and the windshield is big. We're going forward and we really don't have time to go backwards and re-run things that we did in the past. I'm not looking at Vault games. I'm not looking at re-running things. I'm really not looking at that stuff. It's not in the plan of the Company to do that."
Jack is the consummate practitioner of making you think he has answered your question without actually saying anything. Say you are Jack and after you have decided to do a rerun of any game, someone throws this quote in your face. How would you respond other than to say, I never said we wouldn't do it. Re-read the quote, how many words like "won't", "aren't", and "never" did you find?
In Jack's defense, this is a bad question to be asked and one that he, (or any manufacturer), will never and should never answer directly.

Look, we all know Jack can say whatever he wants and then change his mind or whatever. Let's not forget he originally said pirates would be delivered code complete lol!

#18604 3 months ago
Quoted from Tiltbob:

I’m glad I didn’t sell mine. As a matter of fact I never even considered it, code or no final code. The game is very well rounded. We are sorry for your loss KornFreak28

That one stung a little

#18605 3 months ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That one stung a little

Well…. Your comment just seemed a little, “in your face” commenting in the Pirate thread about how glad you are that you sold your POTC. Comes off as we are somehow missing out on not selling ours.

I can’t speak for everyone but your comment didn’t seem appropriate.

You can say whatever you like but I just wanted to express my feelings too.

No hard feelings at all.

#18606 3 months ago
Quoted from Tiltbob:

Well…. Your comment just seemed a little, “in your face” commenting in the Pirate thread about how glad you are that you sold your POTC. Comes off as we are somehow missing out on not selling ours.
I can’t speak for everyone but your comment didn’t seem appropriate.
You can say whatever you like but I just wanted to express my feelings too.
No hard feelings at all.

Hahahaha not the case at all! You read WAY too much into my comment. I was just saying I was glad I sold it. You are glad you kept it…To each his own!

#18607 3 months ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hahahaha not the case at all! You read WAY too much into my comment. I was just saying I was glad I sold it. You are glad you kept it…To each his own!

Yep
Are you a fan of the game? You’re not an owner. You can go away now

1 week later
#18608 89 days ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Here is Jack's quote:
If I were Jack and this question was asked to me, this is what I would be thinking:
"Thank you Loserkid for asking me this question yet again. As you know, I get this question daily and I will never give a specific answer because it is a lose-lose for me and my company to say anything definitive on this subject. The most truthful answer that I could ever give to this question is; Our mission is to make the most amazing pinball machines ever produced because we love pinball. In our industry survival depends on keeping what we're going to produce and when were going to produce it a secret. When it makes sense, we share our plans, but not before. We do this to maximize sales, live to fight another day, and continue to push the envelope on what pinball can be. Since this answer won't satisfy you enough to change the topic, I will instead provide you with an allusion to the past and the future and how it relates to our short term plan*, then, you can decide what it means to you, and I can run my business as I see fit."
*(our 'plan' is carefully thought out but always subject to change.)

Someone at JJP is making a ton of stupid decisions.

- Bad pricing
- Bad themes
- Unfinished code
- Ignoring customer demand (a POTC run would sell out immediately, even with their shitty price hike!)

It bums me out because I truly like their games best, but they've lost me. I say this as a saddened fanboy.

#18609 89 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

- Bad pricing
- Bad themes
- Unfinished code
- Ignoring customer demand (a POTC run would sell out immediately, even with their shitty price hike!)

Getting rid of Butch is up there with stupid decisions. Best manual guy ever. His last one with jjp was Willy Wonka. The ones after that just aren't the same.

Looks like non pinball people running the show.

LTG : (

#18610 89 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

... I truly like their games best....

Even with all the missteps, JJP's are still the games I like the best too. Pricing will probably always be 'high' because they have been and continue to position themselves as the premium product in the market. Not awesome for sure, but it is what it is. If the creek don't rise, I have faith that code will be right - someday. I don't buy the game for the license, but for sure some are more desirable than others. And LTG nailed it on the manuals. They are garbage since Butch. They went from the best to the worst in one fell swoop. It is true that no one buys a machine because of the manual, but JJP will never truly be a premium brand with those sacks of shit they are calling manuals today. They are humiliating to JJP, the designers, and the customers.

#18611 89 days ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Pricing will probably always be 'high' because they have been and continue to position themselves as the premium product in the market. Not awesome for sure, but it is what it is.

The pricing is a bigger problem than you think.

People are losing 3-4K on NIB. Look at 12K Godfathers going for $9200 NIB and $8500 (or less) used, right now.

People like me who love to explore new pins are not going to take chances on these wack themes any more, the loss potential is too great for a casual purchase.

#18612 89 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The pricing is a bigger problem than you think.

People are losing 3-4K on NIB. Look at 12K Godfathers going for $9200 NIB and $8500 (or less) used, right now.

People like me who love to explore new pins are not going to take chances on these wack themes any more, the loss potential is too great for a casual purchase.

And there are other choices now too. Stern's on a roll. CGC has exciting things coming. Barrel Of Fun is a force to be reckoned with. Spooky sells out.

A great time for buyers having games to choose from.

LTG : )

#18613 89 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

And there are other choices now too. Stern's on a roll. CGC has exciting things coming. Barrel Of Fun is a force to be reckoned with. Spooky sells out.
A great time for buyers having games to choose from.

Stern is on a roll but their pricing has grown even worse than JJP. At least with JJP you get the shaker motor, knocker, invisiglass, side armor, nicer screen, better software (imho), nicer cabinet, etc. etc. They install it for you (which I appreciate). Out the door with similar features, JJP and Stern aren't far apart anymore. So while I'll admit I've been more reluctant to spend $12-15k on a JJP NIB, my policy on Stern thus far has been an absolute NOPE (I can't do it...).

I'd really like to see JJP bring back their wide bodies and allow their designers more room to innovate.

#18614 89 days ago

I noticed in modes where I'm supposed to hit the right spinner my hits wouldn't register... in switch test, the spinner registers, but the matrix calls it 'Black Pearl left spinner'... and when I spin the left one it registers as 'Black Pearl right spinner'. Seems like the spinner cables are switched... is this a common finding?

#18615 89 days ago

Under the playfield are 3 boards, each with a row of connectors with long stickers under the connectors with the colour sequence blu grn yel orn red brn blk. On the board under the Black Pearl the connector going to red has an orange spot on it, and the one going to 'orn' has a red spot on it... I'm guessing these connectors are partr of the switch matrix and these are incorrectly positioned and that's why the switches are reversed between the spinners... I.e. this is the proverbial smoking gun...

20231125_123616 (resized).jpg20231125_123616 (resized).jpg

#18616 88 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Under the playfield are 3 boards, each with a row of connectors with long stickers under the connectors with the colour sequence blu grn yel orn red brn blk. On the board under the Black Pearl the connector going to red has an orange spot on it, and the one going to 'orn' has a red spot on it... I'm guessing these connectors are partr of the switch matrix and these are incorrectly positioned and that's why the switches are reversed between the spinners... I.e. this is the proverbial smoking gun...
[quoted image]

Great find and almost certainly your fix.

#18617 88 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Great find and almost certainly your fix.

I guess the lighting wasn't so good on the day they plugged the connectors in Haven't actually got round to changing them over and trying it yet... family stuff... but I'm optimistic this will solve the problem!

Edit: It has

#18618 88 days ago

I guess the lighting wasn't so good on the day they plugged the connectors in Haven't actually got round to changing them over and trying it yet... family stuff... but I'm optimistic this will solve the problem!
Edit: It has

My guess is somebody has had the ship out at some point to clean and got it plugged back in wrong. And if your ship has never been out, you should do it soon. It gets filthy under there quickly. Only game that's worse in that regard is Game of Thrones premium/LE.

#18619 88 days ago

I'm guessing these connectors are partr of the switch matrix

Yes those are for optos.

#18620 88 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

My guess is somebody has had the ship out at some point to clean and got it plugged back in wrong. And if your ship has never been out, you should do it soon. It gets filthy under there quickly.

I really don't think so, this game is really low mileage, still smells like new, and looks like new both sides of the playfield... I really suspect it was an error from the factory... the previous owner was the original buyer and hardly played it. Thanks for the tip of cleaning it though!

#18621 87 days ago

I really don't think so, this game is really low mileage, still smells like new, and looks like new both sides of the playfield... I really suspect it was an error from the factory... the previous owner was the original buyer and hardly played it. Thanks for the tip of cleaning it though!

The other thing that will have you removing the pearl is replacing the chapter select rubbers, they wear pretty hard.

#18622 87 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The other thing that will have you removing the pearl is replacing the chapter select rubbers, they wear pretty hard.

Or installing mods maybe... the guy I bought it from is big into adding mods, so maybe he needed to remove the BP to add something... anyway, the game's playing fine now

1 week later
#18623 80 days ago

Hi all. Going to start searching for a POTC-LE. I am by no means in any rush. I own several JJP titles and just really like POTC as a theme. I would love to start a list of thing to look for when I purchase this machine. I never by routed machines, so that is at the top of my list. Beyond that though I want to make sure I don't run into other buzzsaws. I also understand this is a code incomplete situation and it sounds like Jack isn't going to make it a priority to bring to the finish line. That is a shame, but I can only guess the PE/VC Gods that he reports to are helping make these irrational decisions.

I know WoZ had light board issues. Does POTC have the same exposure? Any intel on that and any other items to look out for would be appreciated. I live in the Chicago area, so if anyone is looking to unload a machine down the road, shoot me a note.

Thanks in advance...

Dave

#18624 79 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Hi all. Going to start searching for a POTC-LE. I am by no means in any rush. I own several JJP titles and just really like POTC as a theme. I would love to start a list of thing to look for when I purchase this machine. I never by routed machines, so that is at the top of my list. Beyond that though I want to make sure I don't run into other buzzsaws. I also understand this is a code incomplete situation and it sounds like Jack isn't going to make it a priority to bring to the finish line. That is a shame, but I can only guess the PE/VC Gods that he reports to are helping make these irrational decisions.
I know WoZ had light board issues. Does POTC have the same exposure? Any intel on that and any other items to look out for would be appreciated. I live in the Chicago area, so if anyone is looking to unload a machine down the road, shoot me a note.
Thanks in advance...
Dave

Topic Index (Key Posts) in this club forum and in the troubleshooting forum are probably the best places to start. Here's a link to the troubleshooting forum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

#18625 79 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Thanks in advance...
Dave

The biggest thing to look for is pooling and chipping, everything else can be fixed (more or less).

Problems areas are mostly around the slings but it doesn't necessarily stop there. I honestly have never seen a POTC that doesn't have some sort of PF issues, it's a shame...

#18626 79 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

- Bad pricing
- Bad themes
- Unfinished code
It bums me out because I truly like their games best, but they've lost me. I say this as a saddened fanboy.

Well, keeping the POTC vaulted is ensuring CE values stay high at least... I'll go for that!

#18627 79 days ago
Quoted from jake35:

Well, keeping the POTC vaulted is ensuring CE values stay high at least... I'll go for that!

Honestly - I say this as a CE owner - I'd rather see it go on the line for more people to enjoy, and to give JJP incentive to finish the code.
And have parts availability.

#18628 79 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Honestly - I say this as a CE owner - I'd rather see it go on the line for more people to enjoy, and to give JJP incentive to finish the code.
And have parts availability.

As a current LE owner & former CE Owner (sold for a tidy profit) I grew tired of people asking why Johnny Depp was nowhere on the CE artwork….added topper & STEIGER shooter knob…haven’t missed the CE at all…and I also wouldn’t mind seeing it go back on the line…

#18629 79 days ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

As a current LE owner & former CE Owner (sold for a tidy profit) I grew tired of people asking why Johnny Depp was nowhere on the CE artwork….added topper & STEIGER shooter knob…haven’t missed the CE at all…and I also wouldn’t mind seeing it go back on the line…

You are right, i think the LE looks great with Johnny Depp on the playfield/cabinet and I love the skull on the backglass
Beta code V7 still in progress for adjustements, the game is very immersive to play and there are no bugs, Equalizer is an additional function to adjust the sound system with more bass
22 characters to choose from, so 22 possibility to play differently each time and you don't have one Wizard mode but 5 !
it's a very different rules than Toy Story where you finished the game in one month with a single wizard including 4 stages to complete before launching the multiball carousel

#18630 79 days ago

No doubt about, POTC is a great game! It's in my top two games of all time but between the pf issues and the price, I just can't justify owning one again.

#18631 78 days ago

I kinda like the mystique and "rareness" of pirates, but I'd gladly give that up (as in JJP putting it back on the line) if it meant they would finish the code!

#18632 75 days ago

Okay pirate owners. Question for you all: I know this is normal for a machine that if a switch doesn’t get activated/used after so many balls will come up as an error upon turn-on. This happens a lot on mine with switch “target ship hit #48”. This is the British ship side.
Most of my friends that come and play this machine have learned how to shoot the ball across and hit the hole shot and never hit the side of the ship which activates switch #48.
I get tired of opening the machine up just to activate this switch to clear the error.
Is there or what are the rest of you doing to stop this error or are you all doing this same thing I am doing?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mike

#18633 75 days ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Okay pirate owners. Question for you all: I know this is normal for a machine that if a switch doesn’t get activated/used after so many balls will come up as an error upon turn-on. This happens a lot on mine with switch “target ship hit #48”. This is the British ship side.
Most of my friends that come and play this machine have learned how to shoot the ball across and hit the hole shot and never hit the side of the ship which activates switch #48.
I get tired of opening the machine up just to activate this switch to clear the error.
Is there or what are the rest of you doing to stop this error or are you all doing this same thing I am doing?

I just leave it. If I clear the 'error', it seems to come back after just a few games.

#18634 75 days ago

Turn off the alert at start up, turn off the red error dot on the monitor. If you hit the enter diagnostic button, you still get errors.

Then enjoy playing the game.

#18635 75 days ago

Mike

Play better.

#18636 75 days ago

Haha, I don't have that issue. I constantly miss the shot and bash the side of the ship! LOL

#18637 75 days ago

Just ignore it. Had that with demo man because duh, no one uses the buttons to play instead of the handles. Gave up using the buttons to clear it and just played.

#18638 72 days ago

Hi all, I've been seeing way too many stdm or deflections to left middle outlane death from the chapter start area on dropping the ball. Is there an adjustment to make here or is it just shake the machine like hell?

#18639 72 days ago

Play with your pitch a little maybe. I can say that those are my most common drain areas too

#18640 72 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all, I've been seeing way too many stdm or deflections to left middle outlane death from the chapter start area on dropping the ball. Is there an adjustment to make here or is it just shake the machine like hell?

Also I hit the flippers right before the chapter lock goes down and I will cause the ball come out differently definitely less down the middles

#18641 72 days ago
Quoted from Tiltbob:

Play with your pitch a little maybe. I can say that those are my most common drain areas too

This is how I run my pirates and I don't see a lot of SDTM.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18642 72 days ago
Quoted from fnosm:

This is how I run my pirates and I don't see a lot of SDTM.
[quoted image]

Hmm this is what my pitch looks like. Do I need to increase it?

20231211_131402 (resized).jpg20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
#18643 72 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Do I need to increase it?

Assuming both of the cheap plastic things are the same, yes.

#18644 72 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hmm this is what my pitch looks like. Do I need to increase it?[quoted image]

Smartphone app works well if calibrated on a perfecty level surface. That is if you want to be more precise on your leveling side to side and choosing a slope measurement.

PinGuy app works well on my iPhone. I have compared its measurements with my Klein inclinometer. Both are always the same

#18645 72 days ago
Quoted from Tiltbob:

Smartphone app works well if calibrated on a perfecty level surface. That is if you want to be more precise on your leveling side to side and choosing a slope measurement.
PinGuy app works well on my iPhone. I have compared its measurements with my Klein inclinometer. Both are always the same

I have a good level, I think I never changed this one when I bought it. Let's give this a go.

#18646 72 days ago

It was running 5.8 at the lower flippers and like 6 or so at upper play field so increased the pitch to 6.4/6.6 or so based on what the manual says. Seems better after a game but let's see. Thanks everyone for weighing in.

#18647 72 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

It was running 5.8 at the lower flippers and like 6 or so at upper play field so increased the pitch to 6.4/6.6 or so based on what the manual says. Seems better after a game but let's see. Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Hope you get it dialed in. It definitely has the the ability for some long gameplay

#18648 72 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hmm this is what my pitch looks like. Do I need to increase it?[quoted image]

I run mine very steep. So fast and so fun. With this setup some of the ramps can be a bit of a challenge. Play around a bit and see what works for you.

#18649 71 days ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I run mine very steep. So fast and so fun. With this setup some of the ramps can be a bit of a challenge. Play around a bit and see what works for you.

Same here. I have mine at about 7.2-7.3 degrees. Nothing slow or floaty about it. It's a little more steep than my other pins, but after lots of experimenting, I think it plays best this way.

#18650 68 days ago

I have played Pirates briefly at my friend's house and was intrigued, I have read all the Pinside reviews, but I am still definitely a landlubber when it comes to this game. Now, we are discussing a trade for this game. Looking at the prices on Pinside, I gotta ask, blimey, how on earth did this game get so pricey?
It seems quite a bit more than the rest of the JJP games, including WOZ. I can't believe it is the movie theme that did it. Does the price of Pirates reflect awesome features and game play or is it just that they didn't make enough of the games? Put another way, is JJP POTC as "good as gold" for the game itself, or is it the rare old penny that is so hard to find? Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 18,759 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 376.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/373 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.