(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 378.
#1751 5 years ago

Update 98 got rid of the topper flicker

#1752 5 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The features matrix says this game has movie clips. Is that a lie?

Not sure I follow. There are movie clips to start each chapter, when you sink a ship, at each ball end, etc. Some are disappointed that there are no clips of actors in those scenes. Personally I prefer it this way. Much more of a pirate theme than a movie pin as I am not fond of the movies.

#1753 5 years ago

If you want to see videos, you should also check out iepinball (Karl's) at https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

We don't take ours down from twitch, we're just not l33t, so they get saved to youtube as already linked.

#1754 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

temporary insanity must have hit,

You won't regret it!

#1755 5 years ago

Thought this was funny!

5D475A95-BFDC-4C65-BC0D-B576B0E042D4 (resized).png5D475A95-BFDC-4C65-BC0D-B576B0E042D4 (resized).png
#1756 5 years ago

How are the tortuga Tom replacements holding up?

#1757 5 years ago

So I did hear back from Jack. His initial take on my playfield issues were that I probably had 2 loose posts and the damage is normal wear and tear even on a new pinball machine. Warranty claim denied. The posts are tight and have always been so.

Searching Pinside, I see that DI also had the same issues around the VUKs. Looking around my playfield I have several posts bubbling the playfield, not just at the slings. So my honest question to all is this the new normal? I don’t mean to start a fight or anything here on Pinside or start another dimple thread.

Before I get others involved, should I expect this? I have never seen something like this but many here have way more experience. Would you pay full price for a fairly new game with this kind of damage?

21FCE4AF-689E-4A63-B3BA-156A2719596F (resized).jpeg21FCE4AF-689E-4A63-B3BA-156A2719596F (resized).jpeg73CBF393-FEF7-4B47-8E82-2C9D5AFDE92F (resized).jpeg73CBF393-FEF7-4B47-8E82-2C9D5AFDE92F (resized).jpeg
#1758 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

So I did hear back from Jack. His initial take on my playfield issues were that I probably had 2 loose posts and the damage is normal wear and tear even on a new pinball machine. Warranty claim denied. The posts are tight and have always been so.
Searching Pinside, I see that DI also had the same issues around the VUKs. Looking around my playfield I have several posts bubbling the playfield, not just at the slings. So my honest question to all is this the new normal? I don’t mean to start a fight or anything here on Pinside or start another dimple thread.
Before I get others involved, should I expect this? I have never seen something like this but many here have way more experience. Would you pay full price for a fairly new game with this kind of damage?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to hear their position on this.

My posts are tight and I have some bubbling around the base of a couple but nothing chipped or cracked/peeled.

Keep us all posted!

#1759 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sorry to hear their position on this.
My posts are tight and I have some bubbling around the base of a couple but nothing chipped or cracked/peeled.
Keep us all posted!

All these things give your game "Character" and make it "unique".

#1760 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

All these things give your game "Character" and make it "unique".

Imperfections are one thing but cracked clearcoat and chipped and missing wood and art is not what I call character, that is poor quality. Especially after a mere 200 games played.

I’m curious what kind of issues these CE’s editions will have and what the owners responses will be.

Fortunately my machine is fine at the moment but some of this stuff is a little beyond anything thing I’ve personally witnessed on my NIB machines.

#1761 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Imperfections are one thing but cracked clearcoat and chipped and missing wood and art is not what I call character, that is poor quality. Especially after a mere 200 games played.
I’m curious what kind of issues these CE’s editions will have and what the owners responses will be.
Fortunately my machine is fine at the moment but some of this stuff is a little beyond anything thing I’ve personally witnessed on my NIB machines.

I know... I was being sarcastic. I have a ce that shipped today looking forward to it especially after all the things in this thread. Best 12.5k spent ever!

#1762 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I know... I was being sarcastic. I have a ce that shipped today looking forward to it especially after all the things in this thread. Best 12.5k spent ever!

Congrats, this is the greatest game ever in my opinion! I envy your topper!

I just hate seeing all the problems.

#1763 5 years ago

Did some touch up work and going to put a wider post there. Should work just fine. FYI I did strip the top components off and my guess is the narrow sling posts seem to have an edge on the bottom that cuts into the playfield. All of the post bottoms seem to have mushroomed out. My guess is the installation of the posts that have rough bottom edges is the culprit. Not sure if that is the fault of the posts or the install method.

So for those with new ones, you might want to take a peek at these posts and either put some Mylar below them or shave off this sharp edge. Not sure yet.

D3D239E8-800E-4185-B090-FB2987405649 (resized).jpegD3D239E8-800E-4185-B090-FB2987405649 (resized).jpegEA3F5A5F-60FA-47C2-BC61-496B7D4D3478 (resized).jpegEA3F5A5F-60FA-47C2-BC61-496B7D4D3478 (resized).jpeg
#1764 5 years ago

Bye Bye Tom

D83ED4AE-A177-4509-93F5-CCAB87A6A655 (resized).jpegD83ED4AE-A177-4509-93F5-CCAB87A6A655 (resized).jpeg
#1765 5 years ago

Like I said, I tried to bend the ship ramp gate forward but could not do that enough. Just as a troubleshooting measure I wrapped tape around the gate to see how much further forward it would need to come and it is pretty significant. See pic below. The whole ramp is only held up on one side which may be the issue with the ramp not sitting level.
[quoted image]

This is my fix. So far so good

9223EB7F-832F-4EA2-9136-EF7AE102D85A (resized).jpeg9223EB7F-832F-4EA2-9136-EF7AE102D85A (resized).jpeg
#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

[quoted image]

Smart Man! I like low cost simple solutions thats for that easy tip! I may copy that only using black if I have some. Thanks!!!

#1767 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Smart Man! I like low cost simple solutions thats for that easy tip! I may copy that only using black if I have some. Thanks!!!

It’s a cap that goes over a plastic. I tried a post rubber but it would slide around. This hasn’t moved. I may eventually make a new gate but wanted to make sure this worked.

#1768 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

[quoted image]

So, what it finally was on mine was the leaf switch on the sling under the ramp. It is too tall and scrapes the ramp on the right side and doesn’t let it sit down far enough. Once I cut the top of the leaf switch, I could very easily screw the support down appropriately to where I didn’t need anything on the wire guide.

#1769 5 years ago

yikes. machine was having some serious display drop-outs tonight while playing. full blown black screen 'searching for source' type of stuff. i'm guessing there is a connection that is loose. anybody else seeing this?

#1770 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

yikes. anybody else seeing this?

Nope can't say I was there but we believe you! JK. No but my bet is a simple communication cable is loose. I believe some time ago in this thread this was covered for someone.

#1771 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Soldering the wire back on worked for D04 EOS upper left playfield flipper.
There was also a brown/green wire I had to solder back to one of the black pearl bonus X switches. That was a bit confusing at first as the brown/green wire is daisy chained among switches 9,10,and 12 so it did not solder onto either of the switches that were not working (9&12), had to solder onto the last one in the daisychain I believe switch 10. All the wires being zipped tied did not make this readily apparent at first, after cutting all the zip ties it became more clear.
Taking the ship out and tipping on its side is definitely a bit awkward.
I have an old radioshack iron that is pretty awful for this and was not great.
Any recommendations on brand / model of soldering iron to get that works well for this type of tight quarters work?
[quoted image]

Well, I just got the D04 EOS upper playfield flipper....lucky me. So did you remove the playfield or just lean it up on side to solder the wire? Thanks

#1772 5 years ago

Did some touch up work and going to put a wider post there. Should work just fine. FYI I did strip the top components off and my guess is the narrow sling posts seem to have an edge on the bottom that cuts into the playfield. All of the post bottoms seem to have mushroomed out. My guess is the installation of the posts that have rough bottom edges is the culprit. Not sure if that is the fault of the posts or the install method.
So for those with new ones, you might want to take a peek at these posts and either put some Mylar below them or shave off this sharp edge. Not sure yet.

Hasn't anyone tried a small clear petg washer under the post?
I would say the small edge of the post digs into the playfield and causes this problem.
A starpost or something like is would not do this.
A starpost would be too wide and narrow the inlane too much, but a washer just protects the playfield.

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#1773 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Well, I just got the D04 EOS upper playfield flipper....lucky me. So did you remove the playfield or just lean it up on side to solder the wire? Thanks

For d04, I just pushed to the right side and soldered it back on.

#1774 5 years ago

Say what you want about Stern but I had the same experience on my Iron Maiden LE and I received a completely populated replacement playfield!
That's what I call customer service, not denying a valid warranty claim like you're having with your POTC!

[quoted image]

#1775 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

ZMeny... you should use this one instead....but what do I know not sure I would want his ugly mug on there twice...[quoted image]

where are you guys getting these figures to replace the popper guy?

Also this sdtm video contains such a great amount of info on this game that I haven't seen anywhere else.

#1776 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

For d04, I just pushed to the right side and soldered it back on.

Thanks, I'll be working on that today...

#1777 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Also this sdtm video contains such a great amount of info on this game that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I got mine from Walmart online. It was the last one. I’m sure there are more somewhere. SDTM mentions the exact type. Mine broke clean at the moveable waist and is almost the exact same size. Mine also came with a sword or gun to put in his hand.

#1778 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It’s a standard POTC Series 1 figure. As it is out of production your best bet is EBay. I picked one up in box for $18. Not hard to find.

#1779 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

NECA Pirates of the Caribbean Series 3 Captain Jack Sparrow Action Figure
$39.99

This is the one you guys want. Breaks clean at the waist. You have to snip the sword case and his fabric belt that hangs down. Dam near the same size as Tom.

#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

NECA Pirates of the Caribbean Series 3 Captain Jack Sparrow Action Figure
$39.99
This is the one you guys want. Breaks clean at the waist. You have to snip the sword case and his fabric belt that hangs down. Dam near the same size as Tom.

Thanks. Going to try and find figurines of others as I'm already looking at Jack right in front of my flippers. I want DJ.

eBay 15% off everything today time to do it

How are you guys removing the original and attaching new?

#1781 5 years ago

Now someone tell me how to silence that spinning disk. I am about to put the Dri Lube on. I used the Lithium grease and that didn't help. Sad thing on mine is its off center almost rubbing on one side. I know once it is installed all you can do is move it up or down. JJP Tech said to try and bend the gears closer together. I said I'll probably break it. He said when you buy a Ferrari you shouldn't have to mess with much and if you do and break it we'll replace it.

IMG_0070 (resized).jpgIMG_0070 (resized).jpg
#1782 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks. Going to try and find figurines of others as I'm already looking at Jack right in front of my flippers. I want DJ.
eBay 15% off everything today time to do it
How are you guys removing the original and attaching new?

There are two screws holding Tom on top of barrel. Thats it.

#1783 5 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

There are two screws holding Tom on top of barrel. Thats it.

Nice. Thanks. Not sure I can get the Davey Jones bc his jacket might be too long.

#1784 5 years ago

Well, pretty sure I screwed up. I didn’t read pinside and thought that since this was the first code update that I would only need the delta code for .98. Needless to say, I installed it just fine, said to restart and now my game is bricked. :/ any suggestions on how to get it back up and running? I have no video or anything upon restart.

#1785 5 years ago

Download the 0.97 full install and unetbootin, follow the full install instructions, install that starting from power off as a full install, then once that's done and the game is running again, do the 0.98 delta and install that on top using the utilities menu as a delta update.

#1786 5 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Now someone tell me how to silence that spinning disk. I am about to put the Dri Lube on. I used the Lithium grease and that didn't help. Sad thing on mine is its off center almost rubbing on one side. I know once it is installed all you can do is move it up or down. JJP Tech said to try and bend the gears closer together. I said I'll probably break it. He said when you buy a Ferrari you shouldn't have to mess with much and if you do and break it we'll replace it.
[quoted image]

Ok your timing is well placed. While not Horrible I do find the disk a Bit to loud for my liking so in typical Mod Couple fashion I decided to investigate a bit further to see if there could be a user friendly solution. This issue is actually a combination problem. The plastic to plastic gear mesh is both loose and the gear floats which creates the known loud grinding sound. Second, that sound is basically transmitted to what technically a plastic Drum! The large disk amplifies the sound like a speaker which makes it a bit more pronounced. While I would (and could) make a new drive gear or possibly a rubber drive roller I wanted to try something slightly less costly and easier to implement. Soooo, I created a precision waterjet insert kit similar to what is used in automotive to sound dampen noise issues. Second, a precision snap in shim was created to the plastic drum floats less and now can ride on a plastic (wear resistant) shim instead of the bronze bushing. This allows a light layer of Lithium grease between the two. At this time I am testing the kit on my machine and it is much quieter. NOT silent just improved! Rather simple install took me 15 minutes or so. In conjunction with some light Lithium grease it appears to be a low cost solution. Not looking to get rich on these just trying to help out with an annoying problem. I will have these on our website this weekend for my estimate around $10 (buy your own grease!). Again, this mechanism will Never be a Swiss watch just trying to make it a bit less annoying. lol Hope some find this useful let me know if you have any questions.

The Mod Couple
www.TheModCouplePinball.com

IMG_1613 (resized).jpgIMG_1613 (resized).jpgIMG_1616 (resized).jpgIMG_1616 (resized).jpgIMG_1619 (resized).jpgIMG_1619 (resized).jpg
#1787 5 years ago

So what is the right way to update code to .98? Want to ensure I don't make the same mistake

#1788 5 years ago

Some pics of the D04 EOS switch upper playfield flipper stuck open....

Removed the switch to make it an easier job since the wires were so close. cut a couple more zip ties to give space for movement.

20181215_092308 (resized).jpg20181215_092308 (resized).jpg20181215_092345 (resized).jpg20181215_092345 (resized).jpg20181215_092400 (resized).jpg20181215_092400 (resized).jpg20181215_094027 (resized).jpg20181215_094027 (resized).jpg20181215_094031 (resized).jpg20181215_094031 (resized).jpg
#1789 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok your timing is well placed. While not Horrible I do find the disk a Bit to loud for my liking so in typical Mod Couple fashion I decided to investigate a bit further to see if there could be a user friendly solution. This issue is actually a combination problem. The plastic to plastic gear mesh is both loose and the gear floats which creates the known loud grinding sound. Second, that sound is basically transmitted to what technically a plastic Drum! The large disk amplifies the sound like a speaker which makes it a bit more pronounced. While I would (and could) make a new drive gear or possibly a rubber drive roller I wanted to try something slightly less costly and easier to implement. Soooo, I created a precision waterjet insert kit similar to what is used in automotive to sound dampen noise issues. Second, a precision snap in shim was created to the plastic drum floats less and now can ride on a plastic (wear resistant) shim instead of the bronze bushing. This allows a light layer of Lithium grease between the two. At this time I am testing the kit on my machine and it is much quieter. NOT silent just improved! Rather simple install took me 15 minutes or so. In conjunction with some light Lithium grease it appears to be a low cost solution. Not looking to get rich on these just trying to help out with an annoying problem. I will have these on our website this weekend for my estimate around $10 (buy your own grease!). Again, this mechanism will Never be a Swiss watch just trying to make it a bit less annoying. lol Hope some find this useful let me know if you have any questions.
The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow - nice job! I will be buying one because the sound is annoying.

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So what is the right way to update code to .98? Want to ensure I don't make the same mistake

Download the full install 0.97 iso file first, use unetbootin or rufus to make the stick (instructions and link on the JJP site). Full install 0.97 first. If you want to save your settings and high scores before you start, use a different usb stick and do a settings backup first. The do the 0.97 full install, then once your done, do the 0.98 delta on top of it, then put your settings back in using the utilities menu and restore backup.

#1791 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is 100% the ideal solution.

Edit: thought they were metal gears simply from the amount of noise, but they are definitely plastic. Hopefully your mod helps because it’s my only real complaint about the pin. Nice work!

#1792 5 years ago

All hail Yelobird. Just got all your other toys. Always love your mods. I'll be ordering that the minute it comes up.

#1793 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While I would (and could) make a new drive gear or possibly a rubber drive roller I wanted to try something slightly less costly and easier to implement
The Mod Couple

Is it even possible to sprade apart the motor and the disc to create and install that kind of rubber, which would be the better choice to lower the noise i guess

#1794 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So what is the right way to update code to .98?

Follow the directions under Support - Downloads at jerseyjackpinball.com.

Back up your settings in Utilities first ( if you want to ) and restore them when all done.

Do a full install of .97, when that is all done and in the game. Then do the delta .98 update.

LTG : )

#1795 5 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

This is 100% the ideal solution. The stock gears are metal to metal, and no amount of lube, grease, dampening, etc will stop the noise. The only solution is a plastic gear like above. There really isn’t any weight or force on the wheel, so a plastic gear will absolutely be fine. Kudos to JJP for designing a part that is incredibly durable and near impossible to break, but this plastic gear is the perfect balance of durability and noise I would imagine. Great job!

Ok appreciate the kind words but possibly something was lost in translation. The gears JJP used Are plastic and that is the issue!! They are not metal or grease would have 100% been the solution. This kit reduces the noise though I want everyone to know I am also working on a Replacement drive gear that will have the same arbor core only the teeth will be neoprene. That Should 100% eliminate the drive train noise along with this sound dampening kit. As this is a low friction drive I believe this replacement will last a LONG time. I promise to do this but Know it is not on my plate today so no need to PM lol. I am Hoping to have this done over the holidays. We Will get these amazing ships sailing swiftly and Silently to the next adventure!!! aghhhhhh

The Mod Couple

#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from Raknitz:

Is it even possible to sprade apart the motor and the disc to create and install that kind of rubber, which would be the better choice to lower the noise i guess

Absolutely. In fact it’s a rather simple task. The drive gear is a simple set screw connection with an adjustable slotted positioner. As long as one of the gears can absorb the mesh sound the other will simply be a traveler. If we silence the drum effect, the mesh noise, and shim the disk to bushing most of the vibration should disappear. Plus, as the main Large disk gear is far from precision molded (it wobbles) the flexible gear will compensate for this error. Again, until I make a few and verify it Works I won’t start selling theory. Lol. Fingers crossed my LE left today and awesome KingPin is working his magic to get our CE in to continue our magical pirate journey!

#1797 5 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

This is 100% the ideal solution. The stock gears are metal to metal, and no amount of lube, grease, dampening, etc will stop the noise. The only solution is a plastic gear like above. There really isn’t any weight or force on the wheel, so a plastic gear will absolutely be fine. Kudos to JJP for designing a part that is incredibly durable and near impossible to break, but this plastic gear is the perfect balance of durability and noise I would imagine. Great job!

The stock gear from JJP is not metal it’s plastic on plastic and a very poor mesh. This is just a sound deadening mod but iit works.

#1798 5 years ago

Has anyone encountered the pop bumper spinners acting erratic? I noticed getting a skill shot award before even plunging in the past week and the pop bumpers moving. Now the two spinning pop bumpers spin ridiculously fast with no contact and the score keeps going up. I couldn’t get an error to show on the test screens and I didn’t see how to disable. It’s making the game impossible to play. I lifted the play field and the “green cylinder “ of the upper bumper was extremely hot and smelled like it was burning. Any one have any suggestions

389ADF80-4BC0-4A3D-9232-193C8C7253E1 (resized).jpeg389ADF80-4BC0-4A3D-9232-193C8C7253E1 (resized).jpegD54B3F92-AB6A-4D55-A74F-152E972C56DD (resized).jpegD54B3F92-AB6A-4D55-A74F-152E972C56DD (resized).jpeg
#1799 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Has anyone encountered the pop bumper spinners acting erratic? I noticed getting a skill shot award before even plunging in the past week and the pop bumpers moving. Now the two spinning pop bumpers spin ridiculously fast with no contact and the score keeps going up. I couldn’t get an error to show on the test screens and I didn’t see how to disable. It’s making the game impossible to play. I lifted the play field and the “green cylinder “ of the upper bumper was extremely hot and smelled like it was burning. Any one have any suggestions

You may need to widen the leaf gap in the switch.

#1800 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

You may need to widen the leaf gap in the switch.

That seems to have taken care of, it was making contact in the resting position. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/36?hl=energyspike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.