(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 322 of 378.
#16051 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Eric only said "looking forward to getting it out..." The beta was distributed to a handful of owners MONTHS ago.

Yep, POTC has had 2 updates since shipping. I'm not familiar with the beta code other than what's been mentioned on Pinside and shown on recent streams (including last night or the night before on Buffalo Pinball), but it seems like the main thing in the beta is the character changes that were initially posted in this forum by the programmer around May 2019? So that means this has been the timeline:
- May 2019: The programmer posted in this forum about upcoming character changes
- Feb.-ish 2020: A beta code was released for testing
- May 2020 - Designer said he's looking forward to releasing code
- Nov 2020 - crickets

Saying that's a long timeline for an update is an understatement. And with this timeline already being the case and having a beta out there for so long, for them to comment that they'll release a code update when the final wizard mode is done is just B.S.

#16052 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm not not saying it's all good... and I'm definitely not trying to shut down the complaints, because the complaints are valid. When I said a 'year+', I was specifically referring to the end of the game being in production (~August 2019) and not since the last code update. Not that this makes it much more reasonable. I'm just saying that the last official word, long after production had already ended, was that it was still coming. So, I do believe it is.... though I lack scientific evidence.

#16053 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yeah, I'm not not saying it's all good... and I'm definitely not trying to shut down the complaints, because the complaints are valid. When I said a 'year+', I was specifically referring to the end of the game being in production (~August 2019) and not since the last code update. Not that this makes it much more reasonable. I'm just saying that the last official word, long after production had already ended, was that it was still coming. So, I do believe it is.... though I lack scientific evidence.

Hope you are right!!

#16054 3 years ago

I think Keefer is still working on the best piratey music for the attract song!
I have high hopes that the next update will be AMAZING!!!
Sucks it is taking so long but JJP has to make money and keep the new pins coming out!

#16055 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I think Keefer is still working on the best piratey music for the attract song!
I have high hopes that the next update will be AMAZING!!!
Sucks it is taking so long but JJP has to make money and keep the new pins coming out!

That’s called business. They will always have something new to do. Doesn’t mean they should abandon their old stuff. I just want to know at what point the fanboys will consider it taking too long. I mean are we going to make it a whole 2 years with no update. Meanwhile their “new” game has had 3-4 updates that included not only bug fixes but new features that weee not present on day 1. If potc was given the same care at any point we would have a more complete game. I still stand by what I said many months ago. If they would release anything even a minor update with a couple bug fixes people would calm down. It at least shows us they are doing something and not just always working on the new project.

#16056 3 years ago

I wonder, Sparrow, can you live with this? ...

#16057 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Honestly, I appreciate you chiming in from JJP but for me that doesn't say something. Wasn't Wonka also launched close to code complete? So on the face of things I don't see where GnR being launched close to code complete can provide a hint that POTC would therefore be getting updated soon.
I mean, 6 months ago the designer posted that he's looking forward to getting code out and now here we still are 6 months later with no other communications or indications. I hope it is somewhere higher on their priority list now and I hope an update (any update) comes out soon, but I'm not seeing any more reason to have confidence now than what we've seen for the past year. Just my feeling though.

Keefer always comes through but I don't like speaking for him because he's a world class player and has his own pinside voice and is a colleague and friend. All I meant by GnR being more or less done is that he will not be burdened going forward fleshing out too much more on GnR that's all. Last week a customer in Europe sent in his error log concerned about an error he didn't know how to fix. I emailed Keith and he explained that it was non fatal and based on what was reported there, it exposed a bug that he had already fixed in a code update. I said great which one? He said the next one. Game was a BA Hobbit. I swore there would be no more Hobbit code updates but for bug fixes and wifi there will be. So if that's in the works despite no Hobbit production ahead, what's to stop POTC from getting it's code too? That's all I meant. This seems like drama for the sake of drama to me but hey I see the points.

#16058 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Keefer always comes through but I don't like speaking for him because he's a world class player and has his own pinside voice and is a colleague and friend. All I meant by GnR being more or less done is that he will not be burdened going forward fleshing out too much more on GnR that's all. Last week a customer in Europe sent in his error log concerned about an error he didn't know how to fix. I emailed Keith and he explained that it was non fatal and based on what was reported there, it exposed a bug that he had already fixed in a code update. I said great which one? He said the next one. Game was a BA Hobbit. I swore there would be no more Hobbit code updates but for bug fixes and wifi there will be. So if that's in the works despite no Hobbit production ahead, what's to stop POTC from getting it's code too? That's all I meant. This seems like drama for the sake of drama to me but hey I see the points.

Good perspective. It's not drama for the sake of drama. After 19 months you start to wonder if anything's really going to happen. That's a REALLY long time. Hobbit had its amazing, game-changing update after only EIGHT months. And that was a massive release. I hear you on Keith. Really excited to be proven wrong after all this time.

#16059 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Yep! I’m good with it.

#16060 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

All I know is that my POTC LE is worth more than what I paid for it new and it has not had a new code update in 19 months. I can enjoy and live with the machine I have and hope for better, or sell it and not lose a dime. I feel like I am sitting in the catbird seat.

#16061 3 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

All I know is that my POTC LE is worth more than what I paid for it new and it has not had a new code update in 19 months. I can enjoy and live with the machine I have and hope for better, or sell it and not lose a dime. I feel like I am sitting in the catbird seat.

Indeed!

#16062 3 years ago

With an UNFINISHED game how can you justify working on a machine thats 5 years old. Speaking of Hobbit didnt it get a major release with code updates like a year ago. I guess it was more fun for him to recode a finished game than spend anytime working on Potc. Wonder if I can get apple to release an update for my iphone 4.

#16063 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

With an UNFINISHED game how can you justify working on a machine thats 5 years old. Speaking of Hobbit didnt it get a major release with code updates like a year ago. I guess it was more fun for him to recode a finished game than spend anytime working on Potc. Wonder if I can get apple to release an update for my iphone 4.

It has been said that the Bluetooth/wifi updates they wanted to add to each game obviously necessitated an update. I’m sure they just took the opportunity to do a little nip and tuck in on TH/ WOZ, et al. Just release it guys!!

#16064 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I don’t justify anything. Hobbit is technically unfinished in that it has a known crashing bug that needs to be fixed in software. Wonka also same thing. Those games aren’t on the line just like POTC isn’t on the line.
Think what you want I’m not arguing I foolishly fall into the trap of trying to reassure the wildly insecure about their beloved POTC but even
When I offer legit insight into what happens every day, my positive post is flipped around into a negative right away. Keith is senior software man. Ask him why he doesn’t do his job in the exact order you would like and I’ll keep working on what I do and cease wasting time here.

#16065 3 years ago

I don’t justify anything. Hobbit is technically unfinished in that it has a known crashing bug that needs to be fixed in software. Wonka also same thing. Those games aren’t on the line just like POTC isn’t on the line.
Think what you want I’m not arguing I foolishly fall into the trap of trying to reassure the wildly insecure about their beloved POTC but even
When I offer legit insight into what happens every day, my positive post is flipped around into a negative right away. Keith is senior software man. Ask him why he doesn’t do his job in the exact order you would like and I’ll keep working on what I do and cease wasting time here.

Wait, TH has a game crashing bug? I've never experienced that. Just lucky I guess. or I suck

#16066 3 years ago

Well, we lost another connection to pinball manufacturers. Good work pinside!

But seriously, we do appreciate getting any updates from the inside. Don’t go!

#16067 3 years ago

Pinside gonna pinside.

#16068 3 years ago

A bug does not mean a game is unfinished. Potc also has multiple game ending bugs. I guess I can play with the glass off that fixes one of them. And maybe just never play liars dice that fixes the other. I just don’t understand how you guys can have blind faith after 2 years that anything is getting done when it has been pretty clear they have 0 interest in finishing the machine in a timely manner.

#16069 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

But seriously, we do appreciate getting any updates from the inside. Don’t go!

Hear hear!

#16070 3 years ago

FWIW, as others have expressed, we greatly appreciate your comments as an insider on this topic. I have worked as a software developer for decades, and it baffles me that a small group of people, even those who do software themselves, seem to be able to be negative no matter what if the sequence of events, explanation, lack of explanation happen to be.

They just need to get over their control issues or OCD or whatever plagues their minds. Or we can just ignore them. (I do)

Thank you for your contributions to the various topics on this forum.

#16071 3 years ago

I just like smacking shiny balls. Happy to have this pin

#16072 3 years ago

After installing a new mod switch on my Shadow, I requested a new Maelstrom switch mod from M&M creations (Sonic ). I've always been annoyed by that big plastic thing hanging off the ramp in the middle of the game. He made one of his magnetic switches for me and it's really clean. It's a nice improvement. If you have the means, I highly recommend you get one of your own.

OLD:
~~~
OLD (resized).jpgOLD (resized).jpg

NEW:
~~~
IMG_3643 (resized).jpgIMG_3643 (resized).jpg

IMG_3646 (resized).jpgIMG_3646 (resized).jpg

#16073 3 years ago

Thanks for the testimonial Keith. I'm so happy you are satisfied - it was a fun project to do. If anyone is interested in the POTC maelstrom MRS - simply PM me!

Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

#16074 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Thanks for the testimonial Keith. I'm so happy you are satisfied - it was a fun project to do. If anyone is interested in the POTC maelstrom MRS - simply PM me!
Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

Very clever I like it. Well done. Love the one I got for CFTBL.

#16075 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

PM Sent

#16076 3 years ago

Now you need a mod where that switch went..

#16077 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Now you need a mod where that switch went..

It needs one bad.

#16078 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

I have one of these in my IJ and love it. Great sellers.

#16079 3 years ago

Went to play my pirates today and the left flipper on the BP froze in the upper position. The flipper was not moving smoothly at all and after removing the BP and checking the mech, seems like the coil sleeve (and maybe the coil) are toast. Not sure why this happened when the pin was fine the last time we played. Anyway, I'm guessing I need to replace both the coil and sleeve. Does JJP sells these parts or some other site? Any suggestions? Thanks.

#16080 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Went to play my pirates today and the left flipper on the BP froze in the upper position. The flipper was not moving smoothly at all and after removing the BP and checking the mech, seems like the coil sleeve (and maybe the coil) are toast. Not sure why this happened when the pin was fine the last time we played. Anyway, I'm guessing I need to replace both the coil and sleeve. Does JJP sells these parts or some other site? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same problem. Was not the coil or the sleeve, but a transistor on the driver board. Very inexpensive part to replace, but had to order the transistor as was different than the Bally/Williams parts I have.

#16081 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Broken flipper return spring? Pretty common.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-364

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-extension-spring.html

Post a picture of the underside of the flipper. Might help others help you diagnose.

#16082 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Any suggestions?

Remove the black Pearl rocking playfield and investigate a little. Coil stop loose ? Broken return spring ?

If sleeve is misformed, then you could need a new coil, coil sleeve, and transistor that drives it.

LTG : )

#16083 3 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Broken flipper return spring? Pretty common.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-364
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-extension-spring.html
Post a picture of the underside of the flipper. Might help others help you diagnose.

The flipper plunger was binding in the sleeve. I removed the coil and could not even get the sleeve out, definitely deformed. I'm just concerned as to why this happened?

#16084 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm just concerned as to why this happened?

Crap happens. Transistor failed and locked coil on.

Replace transistor, coil, and coil sleeve.

#16085 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Crap happens. Transistor failed and locked coil on.
Replace transistor, coil, and coil sleeve.

No problem replacing the coil/sleeve.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/FL-11722

Not sure how to identify the transistor? I've never actually ever opened the back of my pirates (purchased new from JJP), never had any need to. Any tips?

#16086 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Not sure how to identify the transistor?

Manual - coil chart - Page C-54 - Q408 on the I/O board.

You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com - under Support - under Downloads - Under Pirates of the Caribbean.

#16087 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Manual - coil chart - Page C-54 - Q408 on the I/O board.
You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com - under Support - under Downloads - Under Pirates of the Caribbean.

Thanks for the help. Looks like this is the transistor https://www.jameco.com/z/IRL540N-Major-Brands-Mosfet-IRL540N-TO-220AB-100V-36A_670194.html

#16088 3 years ago

Might I suggest GPE. Same price as your link above but the guy supports the pinball hobby and will probably give you a better deal on the shipping. Go ahead and get 10 to get the discount.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

#16089 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Might I suggest GPE. Same price as your link above but the guy supports the pinball hobby and will probably give you a better deal on the shipping. Go ahead and get 10 to get the discount.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

Unfortunately they don't stock the specific transistor I need. Jameco has a $20 minimum order, so not going with them either.

#16090 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Unfortunately they don't stock the specific transistor I need. Jameco has a $20 minimum order, so not going with them either.

It let me put 10 in my cart...

irl540 (resized).JPGirl540 (resized).JPG
#16091 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It let me put 10 in my cart...
[quoted image]

The JJP BP flipper coil uses a 36 amp transistor. Finding the exact part was not easy, only Jamico and Futurlec had it in stock.

#16092 3 years ago

IRL540
More robust than tip122 and the like.

#16093 3 years ago

I would still use the 26amp all day long. That is just a peak current spec. 26 is fine.

#16094 3 years ago

uhg... Come one now!!! Elvira is better than POTC?!

bs (resized).JPGbs (resized).JPGmore bs (resized).JPGmore bs (resized).JPG
#16095 3 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

uhg... Come one now!!! Elvira is better than POTC?! [quoted image][quoted image]

I have them both. The hype is real. It is super fun. Not to mention (yes I'm a broken record), Elvira has been updated twice as many times as POTC. AND another one coming with 3 new modes soon.

#16096 3 years ago

I played a lot of elvira. It’s a good shooter. I’m not sure about top five all time. To each their own tho. Potc is legendary to me

#16097 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I played a lot of elvira. It’s a good shooter. I’m not sure about top five all time. To each their own tho. Potc is legendary to me

Word. I just meant it’s a badass game, which is not obvious at first

#16098 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Word. I just meant it’s a badass game, which is not obvious at first

Vira is pretty fun! I’d own it. Nothing makes me happier than playing PotC though.

#16099 3 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

uhg... Come one now!!! Elvira is better than POTC?! [quoted image][quoted image]

Once the new code is out I’m sure many users will revisit their rating

#16100 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Once the new code is out I’m sure many users will revisit their rating

New Elvira code is coming this month. I’m skeptical POTC will ever be revisited. But keep hoping!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 322 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/322?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.