New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16,101 posts
  • 541 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by luckymoey
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,737 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

more bs (resized).JPG
bs (resized).JPG
irl540 (resized).JPG
IMG_3646 (resized).jpg
IMG_3643 (resized).jpg
OLD (resized).jpg
B30BBD43-C0A4-4ECB-943F-6E383272EA00 (resized).jpeg
pirates4 (resized).jpg
pirates3 (resized).jpg
pirates2 (resized).jpg
pirates1 (resized).jpg
7874F9E2-5840-4E0D-937D-A4C6C641834B (resized).jpeg
20201109_191800 (resized).jpg
20201109_191831 (resized).jpg
CCDB63A1-0862-4D5F-8C73-83644B23EE12 (resized).jpeg
Inked69208baf1a8716558c615e80e6b2e0447b186710_LI (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16101 posts in this topic. You are on page 318 of 323.
#15851 35 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

This may be more of a generic pinball question, but going to start here as this is the machine that is applicable. I've got my flipper strength dialed up pretty high on my Pirates, as I need to, to be able to get up the ramp, chest, etc. It just plays much better. On all of my older machines, there are no flipper strength settings, so when they get weak, I just rebuild the flipper (sometimes all the way up to the bushing, the sleeves and coil stops are always junked, etc), and presto, new again. My Pirates was routed, so it has a lot of plays, and I'm assuming the flippers are just getting weaker, and I'm offsetting the fade with additional flipper strength in the settings. So I guess my question is, should I rebuild my Pirates flippers (as I would an old WPC) and dial back down the flipper settings to default levels? And if so, I've never rebuilt a JJ flipper, but it looks like all the others, is this a generic order or does it have to come from JJ?
I'm interest to understand what dialing the coil strength does in the settings, just adjust the amount of power going to the coil (which would then either be stronger or weaker?)
Thanks!

As it’s routed. Simply rebuild traditional WMS/Bally and set power to your preference.

#15852 35 days ago

You could start with the coil sleeves if you suspect they are worn, and inspect the linkages while you're in there. I'd be surprised if they were already worn out.

There's nothing wrong with using full flipper strength - that's what older machines did when they didn't have an adjustment. Once the EOS switch fires it cuts the high voltage, so you're not going to melt the coil or anything.

#15853 35 days ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Just heard DI is getting a full update very soon also heard WiFi to all JJP.... could there be the long awaited PotC code coming too!?

We’ve learned not to get our hopes up...

#15854 35 days ago

I’m having a problem where if I flip the upper playfield flippers I am receiving a bunch of 5 points. I can just keep doing this to rack up points.

I believe the problem is coming from the right spinner of the upper playfield. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I’ve never really done any repair work on a pin before, and I’m not very techs, so please go easy on your explanation.

I just got the game off a HUO owner last Monday and am otherwise having a blast with it.

Thank you any help you can provide!

#15855 35 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed. Band on playfield. Adjust switch that reports on the screen.

LTG : )

#15856 35 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed. Band on playfield. Adjust switch that reports on the screen.

Sorry, can you please expand a little? I did go into the test switches, which is how I figured out it was the right upper playfield spinner. Not sure what you are suggesting I do next?

#15857 35 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Not sure what you are suggesting I do next?

If it is definitely the spinner opto, you likely need a new one.

You could compare to the other one and see if there is any obvious differences on how it is triggered.

#15858 35 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

I’m having a problem where if I flip the upper playfield flippers I am receiving a bunch of 5 points. I can just keep doing this to rack up points.
I believe the problem is coming from the right spinner of the upper playfield. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I’ve never really done any repair work on a pin before, and I’m not very techs, so please go easy on your explanation.
I just got the game off a HUO owner last Monday and am otherwise having a blast with it.

The right spinner opto often gets smashed by the ball.

1. You need a plastic guard for it from JJP
2. You'll need to replace it
3. This requires removing the Black Pearl.

#15859 35 days ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

There's nothing wrong with using full flipper strength - that's what older machines did when they didn't have an adjustment.

I think there may be more airballs and risk of damage to the ramps by cranking the flipper coil power up too much, though the flipper mech would likely be fine.

#15860 35 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I think there may be more airballs and risk of damage to the ramps by cranking the flipper coil power up too much, though the flipper mech would likely be fine.

Sure, but he’s saying he has to turn the flipper up to make the ramps. In which case I figure why not turn them up instead of rebuilding them? That’s what the adjustment is for.

#15861 35 days ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Sure, but he’s saying he has to turn the flipper up to make the ramps. In which case I figure why not turn them up instead of rebuilding them? That’s what the adjustment is for.

More power equals more heat. Sounds like a good way to burn up your coils over the long run. Turning them up is a temporary solution to me until I got an an or 2 to change some sleeves. I feel like if you have rebuilt a flipper assembly, changing out a coil stop and sleeve should only be a 10-15 minute job. And to be honest the mech might just need a good cleaning due to coil dust finding it’s way into the sleeve. I have a couple thousand plays on my machine and all I have had to clean the sleeves a couple times. Q-tip and alcohol

#15862 35 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

We had this problem and it turned out the screws had come loose on the Black Pearl spinners and had to be replaced/ tightened. Once that was done the phantom points went away.

#15863 35 days ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

We had this problem and it turned out the screws had come loose on the Black Pearl spinners and had to be replaced/ tightened. Once that was done the phantom points went away.

That was it!!!! Thank you so much!!! I was just about to order an Opto and have someone come and install it for me. You saved me big time!

Best part of all, my newly acquired PotC is now working 100% for the weekend.

By the way, I watched What the Flip quite a bit before deciding to purchase a 2nd hand PotC. Not sure if you are one of them, but I really enjoy watching the guy and girl play, banter .... you have a long time (future) viewer from me.

#15864 35 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

That was it!!!! Thank you so much!!! I was just about to order an Opto and have someone come and install it for me. You saved me big time!
Best part of all, my newly acquired PotC is now working 100% for the weekend.
By the way, I watched What the Flip quite a bit before deciding to purchase a 2nd hand PotC. Not sure if you are one of them, but I really enjoy watching the guy and girl play, banter .... you have a long time (future) viewer from me.

You are welcome, I'm glad you got it going.

Yes that is us. Thanks for the kind words, Linsey and I (Kevin) love to play pinball and hopefully people find it entertaining .

We have a Halloween stream planned for tomorrow. We are going to a friends house to stream an on theme game... Stream should start at 2:00pm EDT.

http://twitch.tv/WhatTheFlip

#15865 34 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

More power equals more heat. Sounds like a good way to burn up your coils over the long run. Turning them up is a temporary solution to me until I got an an or 2 to change some sleeves. I feel like if you have rebuilt a flipper assembly, changing out a coil stop and sleeve should only be a 10-15 minute job. And to be honest the mech might just need a good cleaning due to coil dust finding it’s way into the sleeve. I have a couple thousand plays on my machine and all I have had to clean the sleeves a couple times. Q-tip and alcohol

I changed out coil stops and sleeves, and did some cleaning and holy crap. I barely missed the right ramp and had reject airball bang the glass and back over the top of the left flipper. So I dialed them back to default and it’s perfect. Way more balls up the right ramp onto the Black Pearl. They just needed changing all back to normal (and I can start counting flips!).

#15866 34 days ago

Hey y'all, about to join the club today. Any specific things I should be looking for when I test it out? Common issues things like that

#15867 34 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Hey y'all, about to join the club today. Any specific things I should be looking for when I test it out? Common issues things like that

Just Finding one is most of the issue congrats. Just make sure the playfield looks good, no issue reports on start up. Anything else really can be fixed or adjusted when you get it home.

#15868 33 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just Finding one is most of the issue congrats. Just make sure the playfield looks good, no issue reports on start up. Anything else really can be fixed or adjusted when you get it home.

Splitting it with a family member, we could not be more excited!

#15869 33 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Congrats and welcome! I find that drinking and saying "Arrr!" a lot while playing my Pirates makes it even more fun!

YMMV

#15870 33 days ago

Ok - one thing to be aware of, that I still have to periodically contend with, is that the weight of the playfield* causes it to settle lower over time in the cabinet. This causes the shooter rod to catch the automated plunge mech and lose plunging power which in turn, hinders the ability to go for a full plunge skill shot. The short-term solution has been to bend the playfield catches (that hook into the front of the cabinet) back to restore the playfield height and eliminate the plunger conflict.

* No doubt exacerbated by all the damn mods I've added to my game. Curse you Mod Couple and Lior!

#15871 33 days ago

POTC LE #20 is officially at its new home.

Game plays great, only issue is the chest mech fails to eject balls some times. We turned the speed down to 5 and it seems like some balls still fail to get out in time.

#15872 33 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

POTC LE #20 is officially at its new home.
Game plays great, only issue is the chest mech fails to eject balls some times. We turned the speed down to 5 and it seems like some balls still fail to get out in time.

Check to see if balls are magnetized. Would cause problem your describing

#15873 33 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Quoted from GnarLee:

Balls already magnetized and we replaced them before this, we checked to see if the new balls were magnetized in the chest with glass off and they were not. Pitch issue maybe?

#15874 33 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Balls already magnetized and we replaced them before this, we checked to see if the new balls were magnetized in the chest with glass off and they were not. Pitch issue maybe?

Are there optos in the chest? Test those as well

#15875 33 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are there optos in the chest? Test those as well

This^^

#15876 33 days ago

If the balls aren't falling out of the chest, you will need to bend the trunk release mech back. At least that is what we had to do. No amount of fiddling with settings or switches did it. I had to reach around the back of the chest and bend the whole armature that held the gate and coil backwards so there as a bigger gap for the balls to roll through when the gate opened.

#15877 33 days ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

If the balls aren't falling out of the chest, you will need to bend the trunk release mech back. At least that is what we had to do. No amount of fiddling with settings or switches did it. I had to reach around the back of the chest and bend the whole armature that held the gate and coil backwards so there as a bigger gap for the balls to roll through when the gate opened.

I'll try this if the optos are working correctly. How much did you bend the mech?

#15878 33 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I'll try this if the optos are working correctly. How much did you bend the mech?

Not much, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch to give the balls more room to clear in time. I bent it towards the back of the cabinet, you should see the little tab move that holds the balls in.

#15879 33 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Ok - one thing to be aware of, that I still have to periodically contend with, is that the weight of the playfield* causes it to settle lower over time in the cabinet. This causes the shooter rod to catch the automated plunge mech and lose plunging power which in turn, hinders the ability to go for a full plunge skill shot. The short-term solution has been to bend the playfield catches (that hook into the front of the cabinet) back to restore the playfield height and eliminate the plunger conflict.
* No doubt exacerbated by all the damn mods I've added to my game. Curse you Mod Couple and Lior!

I’m glad you posted this. I picked up a used pin a few months ago and have been dealing with this. The original owner had adjusted the mounting of the plunger but that looked weird because you could see the decal cut. So I had put the plunger back in the original position and sometimes had to plunge a ball multiple times to even get it on the playfield.

So I just tried your suggestion and now it plunges beautifully. Wow. What a simple fix. Hope it will last for a while!

#15880 32 days ago

Quoted from Jenk540i:

I’m glad you posted this. I picked up a used pin a few months ago and have been dealing with this. The original owner had adjusted the mounting of the plunger but that looked weird because you could see the decal cut. So I had put the plunger back in the original position and sometimes had to plunge a ball multiple times to even get it on the playfield.
So I just tried your suggestion and now it plunges beautifully. Wow. What a simple fix. Hope it will last for a while!

Rather than bend the hooks, I took a freebie fridge magnet, like one you might find with football schedules on it, and sliced up little slivers to raise it.

I kept adding pieces under the hooks, on top of the assembly, till it raised it, and allowed the shooter rod assembly to breathe a bit! (Adjusting the shooter rod assembly itself only did so much...)

#15881 32 days ago

Assembly X's 3! How weird that it spaced itself out like that!

#15882 32 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Rather than bend the hooks, I took a freebie fridge magnet, like one you might find with football schedules on it, and sliced up little slivers to raise it.
I kept adding pieces under the hooks, on top of the assembly, till it raised it, and allowed the shooter rod assembly to breathe a bit! (Adjusting the shooter rod assembly itself only did so much...)

Yeah. Already decided that would be my next strategy if they flatten out again.

#15883 32 days ago

#15884 32 days ago

What balls do yall use in your machines. Just had our second set magnetize.

#15885 32 days ago

I'm fairly new to this game... been playing it quite a bit recently though and am still totally lost as to what to do... I'm mainly aiming for whatever shot has the most lights lit pointing to it, adding weight to a shot if the light's blinking... multiballs starting all over the place, sometimes being stacked, but I have no feel for how I'm progressing through the game, and am getting pitifully low scores, like sub 1mil... I know there's a kind of 'code map', but I'm not sure this would really help... any basic advice on how to get started in understanding how to play would be appreciated... I love the game, the screen graphics are excellent, as well as the sounds, playfield layout and lighting... all amazing stuff... I'd just like to feel a bit less lost

#15886 32 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'm fairly new to this game... been playing it quite a bit recently though and am still totally lost as to what to do... I'm mainly aiming for whatever shot has the most lights lit pointing to it, adding weight to a shot if the light's blinking... multiballs starting all over the place, sometimes being stacked, but I have no feel for how I'm progressing through the game, and am getting pitifully low scores, like sub 1mil... I know there's a kind of 'code map', but I'm not sure this would really help... any basic advice on how to get started in understanding how to play would be appreciated... I love the game, the screen graphics are excellent, as well as the sounds, playfield layout and lighting... all amazing stuff... I'd just like to feel a bit less lost

Every mode is kind of the same thing. You start it, then you need to hit the shots that correspond with each character that is a part of that mode. Those are the flashing shots. Collect all characters, you’ve completed the mode. That’s it, there are no variations or changes per mode.

Then each multiball has some specific requirements to start:

At Worlds End requires you to pick up all the items (shots around the Playfield while NOT in a mode)

Curse of the black pearl: shoot the upper Playfield flashing shots (there are 3 steps I believe), then load the cannon (upper left shot behind the little door) and blast the HMS Dauntless using the lockBar button. THEN start multi ball by hitting the Will Turner shot - left orbit.

Dead mans chest, hit the 2 chest targets to open the chest, hit the middle shot under the chest to lock a ball in the chest. Lock 3 balls to start

The 4th one is hitting the upper loop multiple times. I believe you have to hit the loop NON-consecutively for it to count. You can’t just nail the loop 5 times in a row. I believe this is the only 2-ball multiball

The last one is started by hitting the spinner shot in the lower left of the Playfield. Hit it 4 or 5 times and it will start.

Now, each mode and multiball corresponds to a particular movie. If you hit the shot that starts the multiball while NOT in a mode, then shoot the star map (the “Jack” shot), you can activate that mode. Usually you activate 2 or 3 modes at once and the game picks one for you. This is why Tia Dalma is a good character if you want particular modes - she can pick the specific mode each time.

Why would you want to pick a particular mode? Because once you start 5 modes from a movie AND it’s multi ball, you can start the mini—wizard mode for that film. They are HARD modes, and I have never finished one.

Supposedly there was to be a final wizard mode, but Keith never programmed it. Some day we are hopeful there will be an update to address this, it is a black spot on JJP.

There is also Liar’s dice and “ARRGH Frenzy”, the ability to plunder on a 2-player game, and a few other minor things. Great layout, great shots. The modes feel a little wood-choppy to me after owning the game for so long, and the characters are WAY unbalanced (especially when you start to realize each one has an undisclosed weakness) but it’s still enjoyable.

#15887 32 days ago

Just to expand on the mode starting... Shoot one of the lanes marked by a colored skull insert to spot it. This will mark a skull under that movie/color on the display. A mode for this color will now part of the random mode selection in the Star Map. Shooting the same skull more than once also raises the value of shots in that potential mode. The shots needed for the mode are shown on the display once the mode is started, and the small arrow inserts will be lit for those shots too.

#15888 32 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Why would you want to pick a particular mode? Because once you start 5 modes from a movie AND it’s multi ball, you can start the mini—wizard mode for that film.

Thanks for all this!! So, some questions:
1) There are 5 modes and 1 multiball for each movie, and there are 5 movies (because there are 5 multiballs), so there are 25 modes in total... correct?
2) Mode and Chapter, it's the same thing?
3) how do you keep track of what modes you've done?
4) Do you have to 'complete' a mode for it to qualify for one of the mini wizards, or is it enough to simply start the 5 modes of a particular movie? I'm sure you answered this by using the word 'start' in your reply, but just double checking.
5) Once you've completed 5 modes and the corresponding multiball, how do you start the appropriate mini-wizard mode, or does it just start?
6) Is there some track of the mini-wizard modes so you can see what's been done/attempted?

Thanks a lot!! This really helps a lot!! I'll be paying more attention to what the heck's going on now!!

#15889 31 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Shooting the same skull more than once also raises the value of shots in that potential mode.

I did not actually know that part! Thanks!

#15890 31 days ago

Thanks for all this!! So, some questions:
1) There are 5 modes and 1 multiball for each movie, and there are 5 movies (because there are 5 multiballs), so there are 25 modes in total... correct?
2) Mode and Chapter, it's the same thing?
3) how do you keep track of what modes you've done?
4) Do you have to 'complete' a mode for it to qualify for one of the mini wizards, or is it enough to simply start the 5 modes of a particular movie? I'm sure you answered this by using the word 'start' in your reply, but just double checking.
5) Once you've completed 5 modes and the corresponding multiball, how do you start the appropriate mini-wizard mode, or does it just start?
6) Is there some track of the mini-wizard modes so you can see what's been done/attempted?
Thanks a lot!! This really helps a lot!! I'll be paying more attention to what the heck's going on now!!

Let's see...

1) I have no idea how many modes there are - I think it's way more than 25. But only 5 movie-based multiballs as far as I know
2) yes
3) On the top of the display (above the map) there are 5 sections, each corresponding to a movie. In those sections there are 5 small boxes which show a check, a skull, and an "X" (I think that's correct - I'm doing this from memory). The Check means you completed the Chapter, the X means you started but failed, and the skull means it is queued up. I don't know if each box corresponds to the same Chapter each time.

4) No you don't need to complete them

5) I believe it's the same shot that starts the Multiball for that movie

6) Once you start the mini-wizard mode, the inserts that light when you have a multiball (the ones close to the flippers) will turn off, I think even if you failed. It's hard.

#15891 31 days ago

http://tiltforums.com/t/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-rulesheet-wip/4169

Read this. Then play a few games, then read it again. It will all start to make sense.

Also, Pirate lane completions for Super X(purple) are a must for getting bigger scores.

#15892 31 days ago

There are a total of 125 chapters. At the beginning of the game the software selects 5 from each movie that you will be playing, for a total of 25. So 25 available per game, chosen from a pool of 125.

#15893 31 days ago

Thanks for all the info! Just one more very simple question... how do you prepare a chapter for starting?

#15894 31 days ago

Thanks for all the info! Just one more very simple question... how do you prepare a chapter for starting?

Just shoot that shot one time.
Purple = Spinner
Red = Maelstrom ramp
Yellow = orbit to the left of the chest
Green = chest
Blue = Inner orbit from upper flipper

You will know when you have shot that color because there will be a small skull on the screen next to any checks or x's.

#15895 31 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:Just shoot that shot one time.
Purple = Spinner
Red = Maelstrom ramp
Green = chest

And ... the initial time you hit one of these, the applicable movie cannon porthole will open on the screen, cannon will fire, and the randomly selected chapter name will be displayed. Selected chapter will change each time qualifying shot made again, if not played beforehand.

#15896 31 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just shoot that shot one time.
Purple = Spinner
Red = Maelstrom ramp
Green = chest

So to prepare a chapter for starting you just need to shoot one of those 5 shots, and then to start a chapter after you've done that single shot preparation, you then shoot the 'star map' or 'Jack' shot... which is the shot with the up-post in front of it and the magnet that makes the ball go crazy... so just 2 shots starts a chapter?

#15897 31 days ago

I don't play my game a ton...certainly not enough to be any good. As far as balance goes between the characters, I usually just play the one who has the lowest high score and once I beat it I go onto the next character. Keeps it fresh feeling for sure.

#15898 31 days ago

If you don't care what character you play, hold the left flipper button then rapidly hit the right flipper button 5 times and it will go to random select.

#15899 31 days ago

So to prepare a chapter for starting you just need to shoot one of those 5 shots, and then to start a chapter after you've done that single shot preparation, you then shoot the 'star map' or 'Jack' shot... which is the shot with the up-post in front of it and the magnet that makes the ball go crazy... so just 2 shots starts a chapter?

Yep. The more movie chapters you have qualified (up to all five movies) beforehand though, the greater the point multiplier awarded upon playing a chapter.

#15900 31 days ago

Yep. The more movie chapters you have qualified (up to all five movies) beforehand though, the greater the point multiplier awarded upon playing a chapter.

Ahh, I see... I think... so you can shoot 1 to 5 of the qualifying shots prior to starting a chapter, the more you shoot, the more the chapter is worth... ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 53.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
There are 16101 posts in this topic. You are on page 318 of 323.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside