(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 317 of 378.
#15801 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I installed radcals on top of existing art. I was very very happy with them!
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B11GrhkPxG8hK2N

Thanks! I’m going to do the same.

#15802 3 years ago

Here are RAD decals I just installed on a TZ.

20201006_170332 (resized).jpg20201006_170332 (resized).jpg20201006_170342 (resized).jpg20201006_170342 (resized).jpg
#15803 3 years ago

I have RADCALS on my POTC LE and my WOZ RR and I think they are great. Wanted them for my HOBBIT BA but could not find them. JJP does not sell them so does anyone have a source for them?

#15804 3 years ago

High gloss clear over originals!?

#15805 3 years ago

It's about an 1/8" plastic sheet that you aline, peel and stick. Never had done one until now, but was simple to do, but you have to make sure you aline properly as you don't get a second chance. You do have to trim out holes except for the coin door as it was already done.

#15806 3 years ago

Is the code ever going to get revisited by JJP ???? Has anyone heard anything ?

#15807 3 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Beta Code back in late May/ early June is the last I've seen. Not sure what is going on with it.

#15808 3 years ago

Has anyone added the radcalls to their POTC? I have two little scratches(small holes) on each side of my machine. Can I install radcalls over the top of the existing graphics or should I remove the existing?

Also Dan at Pinwoofer is great to deal with. I installed pinwoofer on POTC and the sound is awesome now...

#15809 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Has anyone added the radcalls to their POTC? I have two little scratches(small holes) on each side of my machine. Can I install radcalls over the top of the existing graphics or should I remove the existing?
Also Dan at Pinwoofer is great to deal with. I installed pinwoofer on POTC and the sound is awesome now...

You can probably install it over top, and some have - but if you have scratches it might show through. Taking these decals off is WAY easier than an old B/W game.

#15810 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Yes. I installed radcals on top of POTC art. It will hide the damage and they look amazing. I posted pics of this like yesterday but here they are again:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B11GrhkPxG8hK2N

You can see in some of the before pics I had some scrapes along the bottom edge of the art.

#15811 3 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

I know it's getting the wifi update which they all need other than GnR

#15812 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I know it's getting the wifi update which they all need other than GnR

Just ... I mean.. basically any update at this point would be welcomed.

#15813 3 years ago

Turned the game on today and got “Environment block too small”. WTF. This means the hard drive is starting to fail.

Has anyone successfully replaced their hard drive, or am I going to need assistance from JJP?

#15814 3 years ago

Easy to do get at new drive and a full install stick and use the game to make the drive. No need to buy one from JJP

#15815 3 years ago

2.5 inch 60 gb or more
My DI has a 500gb drive in it

#15816 3 years ago

2.5 inch 60 gb or more
My DI has a 500gb drive in it

Gotcha. No problem. What a bummer though! I'm going to try deleting the grubenv first.

#15817 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha. No problem. What a bummer though! I'm going to try deleting the grubenv first.

Darn it. Yep, SDD is probably dead.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#15818 3 years ago

for the people with subwoofers connected to their game: to what crossover frequency did you set your sub?

#15819 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Darn it. Yep, SDD is probably dead. [quoted image]

Fixed it! Plugged SDD into one of my linux machines and rebuilt the grubenv, then reinstalled.

#15820 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Fixed it! Plugged SDD into one of my linux machines and rebuilt the grubenv, then reinstalled.

THE MAN that's what you are. Kudos

#15821 3 years ago

THE MAN that's what you are. Kudos

Thx! Now to rebuild my high score table...

#15822 3 years ago

My Black Pearl hangs mainly to the left... actually, it's always to the left! It rocks, but never gets horizontal, simply rocks from extreme left to very slightly left... is that how it should be? I'd have thought rocking equally from left to right, with horizontal being the mid-point would be normal...

#15823 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

My Black Pearl hangs mainly to the left... actually, it's always to the left! It rocks, but never gets horizontal, simply rocks from extreme left to very slightly left... is that how it should be? I'd have thought rocking equally from left to right, with horizontal being the mid-point would be normal...

I had the same concern with mine - it's normal. It should go from left to almost level, but never to the right.

#15824 3 years ago

Quoted from bbulkley:

I had the same concern with mine - it's normal. It should go from left to almost level, but never to the right.

Locate the metal bar behind the playfield. Loosen the two screws and adjust to taste. Make sure it can still make the full vertical up/down extents after adjusting.

#15825 3 years ago

Oh...and a slight list to port is arguably natural. Mine does this too.

#15826 3 years ago

I have the same issue but we are ok with. Never mind your talking about a pinball machine I read that wrong.

#15827 3 years ago

My black pearl goes both left and right. The left might go a little bit deeper, but right definitely goes past horizontal.

#15828 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Locate the metal bar behind the playfield. Loosen the two screws and adjust to taste. Make sure it can still make the full vertical up/down extents after adjusting.

Maybe I'll make mine tilt more to the right! The way it is now it's too easy - I can get a ball in the cannon nearly every time.

#15829 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I have the same issue but we are ok with. Never mind your talking about a pinball machine I read that wrong.

It was written with reading wrong in mind

With a list to port (thanks for adding the nautical terms, good to stay in character!) it's better for loading the cannon and avoiding drains to the right, but it doesn't look right, so I'll probably tweak it so she's more even.

Thanks to all you salty sea-mates for helping this old tar, oh arrrrrr!

#15830 3 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

That sounds like what the original 3 ring pirates machines used to do.

I'm sure mine goes left AND right also, i did have balls that fall off the right side quite often.
There is a metal protector that even says "man overboard" on it for that reason.

#15831 3 years ago

Have you tried the Black Pearl calibration?

#15832 3 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that has an effect on left/right extents. I -think- it just determines the slowest possible rate the motor can run.

#15833 3 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Will look into that...

Quoted from zaphX:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that has an effect on left/right extents. I -think- it just determines the slowest possible rate the motor can run.

This makes sense, I imagine the rocking is caused by a simple linkage to a cam on a gearbox, which would require physical adjustments to change the angle of the deck... will be having a poke about behind there tonight!

#15834 3 years ago

At the beginning of pirates time (back in the prototype days), Eric told me that it should list to the left a bit at the beginning of the game by design. The code will increase the angle and speed the more that you are up on that playing field and for other game related reasons. He did make that angle adjustable for your preference (to make it easier or harder). There is also a post hole adjustment on the ride side of the upper playfield to help keep it in play more if desired.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think by Eric's design intent, the upper playfield should be level (side to side) in attract mode before you hit the start button.

#15835 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

At the beginning of pirates time (back in the prototype days), Eric told me that it should list to the left a bit at the beginning of the game by design. The code will increase the angle and speed the more that you are up on that playing field and for other game related reasons. He did make that angle adjustable for your preference (to make it easier or harder).

Very interesting. Not sure how much of this intent made it to the production models, will certainly be looking closely at settings if there is a chance that the angle is something that the software can effect! Thanks!

#15836 3 years ago

Very interesting. Not sure how much of this intent made it to the production models, will certainly be looking closely at settings if there is a chance that the angle is something that the software can effect! Thanks!

There is a character that you can select that decreases the angle (and speed of angle changes I think) as one of the advantages for the character. I'm not by my game, but I'm sure that someone can tell you which character that is.

#15837 3 years ago

Cotton slows the ship. On my game the BP is completely level in attract mode. As far as I can tell, in play, it rocks equally left and right, but at first it is slower and seems to list slightly left to make it play easier. Repeated entries to the BP and time spent up there increases the speed and sway to the right, until BP Multiball is started and completed, which resets the ship speed.

#15838 3 years ago

Here's a minor gripe about the code that even my wife pointed out. The chapter colors on the display don't match the insert colors. I mean red = red, yellow = yellow and green = green. The purple is off and the blue is WAY off. The screen is cyan but the inserts are like navy blue.

I know the rgb inserts can do just about every color possible, so this could easily be fixed in code, right?

#15839 3 years ago

#15840 3 years ago

Asked and answered many many months ago. Keith has no plans to tweak the colors so they match better or are more easily distinguishable

#15841 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There is a character that you can select that decreases the angle

Had a poke about and adjusted the angle by the rod attachment, as zaphX described. There is no way that code can change the angle by the way, it's fixed by the physical stuff.

#15842 3 years ago

Had a poke about and adjusted the angle by the rod attachment, as zaphX described. There is no way that code can change the angle by the way, it's fixed by the physical stuff.

This is what I was trying to say about code changing the list and angle speed during game play. It's not consistent on purpose via code. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. See below:

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Cotton slows the ship. On my game the BP is completely level in attract mode. As far as I can tell, in play, it rocks equally left and right, but at first it is slower and seems to list slightly left to make it play easier. Repeated entries to the BP and time spent up there increases the speed and sway to the right, until BP Multiball is started and completed, which resets the ship speed.

#15843 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This is what I was trying to say about code changing the list and angle speed during game play. It's not consistent on purpose via code. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. See below:

What I'm saying is that I don't see any way that list can be changed by code... I see where betelgeuse is saying that the list SEEMS more to the left early on the game, but then sways more to the right to make it harder after repeated entries, but I don't think this is possible with code, unless there's another device under the playfield that actually moves the motor upwards slightly, that would do it... have to admit, didn't look that closely... I assumed the motor/gearbox was in a fixed position... I guess it's possible that it could be on a metal plate that can get pulled by a magnet into a different position, but that would be some pretty fancy stuff to just change the list during gameplay...

#15844 3 years ago

What I'm saying is that I don't see any way that list can be changed by code... I see where betelgeuse is saying that the list SEEMS more to the left early on the game, but then sways more to the right to make it harder after repeated entries, but I don't think this is possible with code, unless there's another device under the playfield that actually moves the motor upwards slightly, that would do it...

I get what you are saying, and this was definitely based on my short observation and not an in depth review of the ships mechanics. It could just be that the motor picks up speed, and thus hurls the balls to the right edge more.

#15845 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I get what you are saying, and this was definitely based on my short observation and not an in depth review of the ships mechanics. It could just be that the motor picks up speed, and thus hurls the balls to the right edge more.

Cotton minimizes the shifting of the ship, and slows down some of the rocking. It has nothing to do with keeping the boat level.

#15846 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Cotton minimizes the shifting of the ship, and slows down some of the rocking. It has nothing to do with keeping the boat level.

I think what was up for debate was whether or not the ship could reduce/increase the list to the left/right via the code, or if only the speed of the rocking changed...

#15847 3 years ago

There are two sensors that recognize the position of the ship. The motor is a regular DC motor. The only thing that can be done is change the speed and rotation direction of the motor.

Now if this was a stepper motor, the code could count clock pulses to determine how far the motor had turned beyond the sensor. Alternatively, a regular DC motor with a "Clock disk" and another sensor could accomplish the same thing.

But this is neither, so the amount of angle of the rocking can only be changed by adjusting piece #4 with screws #13.

black pearl rocker (resized).JPGblack pearl rocker (resized).JPG
#15848 3 years ago

Just heard DI is getting a full update very soon also heard WiFi to all JJP.... could there be the long awaited PotC code coming too!?

#15849 3 years ago

The rocking of the ship is mechanical. You will not get the ship to change its range of motion, it is set. You can change the starting and stopping points but not the range of motion. By default the ship lists more to the left than the right. On my machine you cannot make the ship go as far right as it can go left. I believe this is by default. You can get it pretty close but always lists more left than right. The farther right you get the ship to list the harder you are effectively making it harder to keep the ball up on the ship. Like LOTR_breath said the only adjustment is piece 4 with screws 13.

#15850 3 years ago

This may be more of a generic pinball question, but going to start here as this is the machine that is applicable. I've got my flipper strength dialed up pretty high on my Pirates, as I need to, to be able to get up the ramp, chest, etc. It just plays much better. On all of my older machines, there are no flipper strength settings, so when they get weak, I just rebuild the flipper (sometimes all the way up to the bushing, the sleeves and coil stops are always junked, etc), and presto, new again. My Pirates was routed, so it has a lot of plays, and I'm assuming the flippers are just getting weaker, and I'm offsetting the fade with additional flipper strength in the settings. So I guess my question is, should I rebuild my Pirates flippers (as I would an old WPC) and dial back down the flipper settings to default levels? And if so, I've never rebuilt a JJ flipper, but it looks like all the others, is this a generic order or does it have to come from JJ?

I'm interest to understand what dialing the coil strength does in the settings, just adjust the amount of power going to the coil (which would then either be stronger or weaker?)

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 317 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/317?hl=mrsiyufy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.