(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 310 of 377.
#15451 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And by the way gnarlee I think it's impressive as hell you've been able to reach the Break the Curse mode.
Putting myself in your position, having a once-in-a-lifetime game and meeting all the required goals only to have the reward missing would be a bit of a disappointment for sure.
I wish I were a good enough player to have this problem.

I have never made it and have never claimed to have. I have had exactly 2 games in well over 1000 where I got close. 22 chapters done once and 23 chapters fully completed (all characters collected) once. 3 wizard modes played each time with 4th qualified on the 23 chapter game. Now that im not playing 10-20 games a day my standard game might be in the 700-900k range (not enough for extra ball) with the occasional wizard mode. plenty of games where i wont break 100k. I have always been very good at skill games with enough time to properly figure out the quirks.

#15452 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I have never made it and have never claimed to have.

Sorry then, that's my mistake. I thought you did.

#15453 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

Trying not to be a d-bag - I get the thinking that it should be easy - it should! But from experience: the reality is that integrating something like that after the fact (After tons of code is developed) is messy. I -do- kinda wonder what is taking so long at this point now, since they did beta testing like 6 months ago. There’s also the WiFi integration for updates IIRC.

I built a lightsaber for
My son last year, and integrated Bluetooth so it could connect to my phone so I could load sounds, different light shows, etc. The software was already there, but you had to connect with a micro USB cable, it didn’t yet support Bluetooth. WELL, that took me 2 months to figure out. Major PITA. But it does work now..

#15454 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I built a lightsaber for My son last year, and integrated Bluetooth so it could connect to my phone so I could load sounds, different light shows, etc. The software was already there, but you had to connect with a micro USB cable, it didn’t yet support Bluetooth. WELL, that took me 2 months to figure out. Major PITA. But it does work now..

I bet that was a fun project

#15455 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment,

Yes. I don't know if there are any bugs or updates in the mix. The work for blue tooth for updating games is being worked on for WOZ, hobbit, Dialed In, Pirates, and WW. There is 5 right there.

And he is likely spending time on future titles too.

So more than 5 games.

LTG : )

#15456 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I bet that was a fun project

It was! That thing is awesome now. You can change the blade to 5 or 6 colors, “scrape” it against the floor like Vader does in ROTS, make “clash” sounds like when you hold 2 together, it responds when you swing it around with the hum, flashes and plays a noise when you strike it on something... plays music, and you can hold own of the buttons and rotate the blade to change to different hues of whatever color you’re on. And there’s a “broken lightsaber” (like Kylo Ren) mode. Came out pretty dang good.

#15457 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

Quoted from zaphX:

Ok here's why you're wrong. One year of CS class in college doth not a programmer make.
That's like trying to say brain surgery should be easy because you watched season of ER.
There are a million things you're glossing over.
- New user interface code has to be crafted to guide the user through the pairing process.
- How does the game handle the audio, is it simultaneous with the speakers or does it replace them?
- Does the audio stay in sync with the gameplay?
- Does the bluetooth stack have any ill effects with the existing code that need to be worked around?
- Can the game code handle the paired device being taken away gracefully?

I didn't "scam" anything. JJP very graciously sent me a playfield for my LE. I still contend that once you conceal the issues, it is not a game-ruining thing. I sold my LE because a very close friend made me a very good deal on his CE, which I helped unbox myself when new. It was an offer I could not refuse. I did not profit on the LE sale, I paid the kindness I received forward.
In fact, when I sold the LE I emailed Jack to cancel_ the LE playfield request, but I ended up getting one anyway...the order was probably in queue already. I will find something positive to do with it for someone who can use it.
And yes the CE has playfield issues too. Chipping around sling posts hidden by the star post/washer fix, and there was some lumpiness around the Tortuga scoop which I flattened with the playfield iron (thanks yelobird) before installing cliffys. I will purchase my own CE playfield at some point as a backup and I intend to pay full price for it.
Gnarlee you and I have never really gotten off on the right foot. I hope that someday post-COVID we can meet up at TPF for a beer or something. I suspect we probably agree on more than we disagree on.

I appreciate the back and forth here. Gnarlee had some views, expressed and defended them, and Derrick elaborated on his situation and thoughts, and extended an olive branch.

Nice to see people hold a discussion, versus the norm of anger and writing one another off.

#15458 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I appreciate the back and forth here. Gnarlee had some views, expressed and defended them, and Derrick elaborated on his situation and thoughts, and extended an olive branch.
Nice to see people hold a discussion, versus the norm of anger and writing one another off.

Agreed. I thought it was going to turn nasty as well. Pleasantly surprised.

#15459 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Agreed. I thought it was going to turn nasty as well. Pleasantly surprised.

zaphX softened things by his less abrasive approach in the end. Good example to follow

#15460 3 years ago

So I never really thought twice about the original white pop bumper bodies/skirts on my POTC until I recently saw one of Karl DeAngelo's IE Pinball Twitch streams in which he pointed out that he had changed them to black on his game and thought they looked much nicer. I found myself agreeing and having to follow suit. Along with installing Jack Sparrow too while I was at it (which Karl did as well).

Thanks for the inspiration Karl!

BEFORE:
JJP POTC pop bumpers BEFORE (resized).JPGJJP POTC pop bumpers BEFORE (resized).JPG

AFTER:
JJP POTC pop bumpers AFTER (resized).JPGJJP POTC pop bumpers AFTER (resized).JPG

#15461 3 years ago

Anyone hear anything on the new CODE?

#15462 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

LOL

#15463 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

There is a dedicated thread for your whining pleasure:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hate-to-say-it-but-wheresthecode-jjp-potc

#15464 3 years ago

Digging the new "Piratey Lantern Flasher" mod I just added to my game - thank you Pinball Mod Co!

Had to relocate the "Jailhouse Dog" flasher mod (courtesy of The Mod Couple) I previously had there, but I'm pleased with the pooch's new location alongside the escape "E" outlane! (Okay - I know this is technically the "Escape the Locker" lane and the jailhouse dog had nothing to do with it, but close enough eh? And he fits so perfectly looking up at you too! )

DSC05475 (resized).JPGDSC05475 (resized).JPG
DSC05478 (resized).JPGDSC05478 (resized).JPG
DSC05484 (resized).JPGDSC05484 (resized).JPG

#15465 3 years ago

Thanks @tuna_delight!

I went with the clear skirts and black bodies, black looks great too!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#15466 3 years ago

So I attempted my first “mod” to replace the Tortuga Tom with a jack sparrow with better detail. Took awhile to make the fit just right but I think it turned out pretty good for a first effort. Now I just need to follow suit and change to the black skirts and black bodies like @tuna_delight. 374B1486-C35F-463D-86CA-D67B6675C199 (resized).jpeg374B1486-C35F-463D-86CA-D67B6675C199 (resized).jpeg3B41EDC7-200F-46B4-B203-04565EE30D61 (resized).jpeg3B41EDC7-200F-46B4-B203-04565EE30D61 (resized).jpeg3C20AC2E-AE67-4792-A949-1AA99C158BAF (resized).jpeg3C20AC2E-AE67-4792-A949-1AA99C158BAF (resized).jpegF98C8A34-88A9-4E8F-82CC-AEB51FF8F128 (resized).jpegF98C8A34-88A9-4E8F-82CC-AEB51FF8F128 (resized).jpeg86204E16-9241-42CA-B048-2A8382EA47DA (resized).jpeg86204E16-9241-42CA-B048-2A8382EA47DA (resized).jpeg

#15467 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

So I attempted my first “mod” to replace the Tortuga Tom with a jack sparrow with better detail. Took awhile to make the fit just right but I think it turned out pretty good for a first effort. Now I just need to follow suit and change to the black skirts and black bodies like tuna_delight. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice tan!

#15468 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

So I attempted my first “mod” to replace the Tortuga Tom with a jack sparrow with better detail. Took awhile to make the fit just right but I think it turned out pretty good for a first effort. Now I just need to follow suit and change to the black skirts and black bodies like tuna_delight. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That looks quite great, well done

#15469 3 years ago

Can I use one of these screws inside the head to use for a ground wire? Got the new pinwoofer amp.
Thanks
803FA05D-6345-4E44-933A-6269119710F9 (resized).jpeg803FA05D-6345-4E44-933A-6269119710F9 (resized).jpeg

#15470 3 years ago

Hey guys I was doing some
Work adding a new amp to the back box everything fine but now my
Playfield has no leds at all . Everything works fine where should I look for the problem ??

#15471 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys I was doing some
Work adding a new amp to the back box everything fine but now my
Playfield has no leds at all . Everything works fine where should I look for the problem ??

Check fuses

#15472 3 years ago

Fuses ok. I think it might be more simple solution, i was reading the tech thread, and some mentioned that a wire underneath the playfield which controls all the insert lights came loose, I think I will check there because I did have a really hard time pushing the playfield back into position, it just wouldn't go back down and back without some force. The only thing that don't work are inserts and that back star panel, flashers work fine.

#15473 3 years ago

Wrong post

#15474 3 years ago

Well that don’t work all cables
Look secure any other ideas ? There is a flashing led near a big chip on the driver board does that mean anything ?

#15475 3 years ago

Never mind it’s working now

#15476 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Never mind it’s working now

Tell me your Not going to just keep us in suspense........ Why is it now working???

#15477 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Tell me your Not going to just keep us in suspense........ Why is it now working???

He forgot to plug it in

#15478 3 years ago

Loose wire that’s all

#15479 3 years ago

I had my best game today and completed all Multiballs but still didn’t reach wizard mode how many movie chapters do u have to finish ? And do they need to be 100% to get wizard mode ?

37AE0E0E-7BAD-43C2-B6DB-E2C1F5C5057F (resized).jpeg37AE0E0E-7BAD-43C2-B6DB-E2C1F5C5057F (resized).jpeg6B587F8E-B74E-4C1F-BD09-E3EED7D23B24 (resized).jpeg6B587F8E-B74E-4C1F-BD09-E3EED7D23B24 (resized).jpeg
#15480 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I had my best game today and completed all Multiballs but still didn’t reach wizard mode how many movie chapters do u have to finish ? And do they need to be 100% to get wizard mode ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You have to start 5 modes from that particular movie. You dont' need to finish them, but it will increase your score if you do. Pick Tia Dalma and focus on one movie at a time when you start modes

#15481 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Have to ask... Are you a sharp shooter type player?? How did you complete All modes and all 5 movie wizard modes and finish with a score of 800k?????

edit sorry read that wrong. you only finished the mulitballs not any of the modes or wizard modes. You have a LONG way to go lol.

#15482 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You have to start 5 modes from that particular movie. You dont' need to finish them, but it will increase your score if you do. Pick Tia Dalma and focus on one movie at a time when you start modes

I find that Norrington is a great for rushing the wizard modes; he makes it much easier and faster to complete each chapter (although at a lower value).

#15483 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to ask... Are you a sharp shooter type player?? How did you complete All modes and all 5 movie wizard modes and finish with a score of 800k?????
edit sorry read that wrong. you only finished the mulitballs not any of the modes or wizard modes. You have a LONG way to go lol.

I thought the same thing at first too.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yeah, each movie has 5 modes which need to be played (25 modes), plus the single ball wizard mode for each movie after that (5 wizard modes) then Break The Curse would possibly be lit if you just needed to play everything. If Keith codes it as you need to complete every wizard mode and leaves the wizard modes they way they are, JJP Pirates will easily take the top spot as the toughest game ever to reach the main wizard mode. I've played through everything in a game before twice ever, but I could probably count on one hand the number of wizard modes I have actually ever completed. They are extremely difficult and unforgiving.

#15484 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I find that Norrington is a great for rushing the wizard modes; he makes it much easier and faster to complete each chapter (although at a lower value).

Tia Dalma has been my go to for getting a wizard mode since you could select chapters from specific movies but I could potentially see Norrington being a decent option as well since you don’t need to hit the shots to complete chapters. Little more random though.

#15485 3 years ago

Ok I probably have to review the rules but is there like an actual end to the game like I’ve heard there is for Jurassic park ?

#15486 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Tia Dalma has been my go to for getting a wizard mode since you could select chapters from specific movies but I could potentially see Norrington being a decent option as well since you don’t need to hit the shots to complete chapters. Little more random though.

Tia Dalma was my go to for this, but I realized it wasn't working for me. Quite often the time to select which color you play occurs during MB, and I would either not see the select screen(it does time out) or would select the wrong one by mistake by hammering out gold collects during MB. It's easier for me to concentrate on just hitting the one color I want and then hitting the mode start shot, thereby knowing it will start only that color. Yes, your character shots will be worth less, but if your just trying to get to wizard modes, the payoff is in collecting as many characters and as many Super JP's along the way.

Norrington is great for this. Also Barbosa specifically with Red chapters works great. Did you know that with Barbosa you can get Red JP and SuperJP by just hitting the 2x target?

#15487 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I probably have to review the rules but is there like an actual end to the game like I’ve heard there is for Jurassic park ?

Not as of yet. If you play all the modes and wizard modes, you just can't start any more modes. You can just play more movie multiballs from then on at that point. The final wizard mode Break The Curse isn't in the game yet, so who knows how that will end up playing out.

Also, I did notice one thing about holding the skull bonus that was brought up awhile ago. You do need to shoot the depths or get an award to hold a skull bonus from ball to ball as it doesn't hold automatically if you max it out at 10,000. That said, once you play the wizard mode for that movie, it does hold the skull value over for the rest of the game for that shot. So it's not just important to get a high skull value for the wizard mode, but also to lock in that high value on that shot for the rest of your game.

#15488 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It's possible to focus on a specific wizard mode by only enabling that movie. For example, to rush the chest wizard mode (green), on launch let the ball pass the upper flipper and then catch/gain control on lower flipper. Shoot the chest, and pass upper flipper back to lower flipper. Post transfer to left if necessary, then shoot the Start Chapter shot. Rinse, repeat. Even if you enable more than one movie, I recall Eric mentioning the logic will favor the last movie shot hit, so you can still tilt the odds toward the movie you want. Not saying any of this is easy, but possible.

#15489 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Don't get me started. No there is not.

#15490 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

With your current high score of 800k I suspect you have about 5 more years till you find the end. I am JOKING!! No, final wizard mode is still in the creative imagination of Keith but for me anyway, that means he aims to make it truly special and unique which I am more then willing to wait for. This game isn't going anywhere so I have no rush to finish it.

#15491 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No, final wizard mode is still in the creative imagination of Keith but for me anyway, that means he aims to make it truly special and unique which I am more then willing to wait for. This game isn't going anywhere so I have no rush to finish it.

#15492 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

With your current high score of 800k I suspect you have about 5 more years till you find the end. I am JOKING!! No, final wizard mode is still in the creative imagination of Keith but for me anyway, that means he aims to make it truly special and unique which I am more then willing to wait for. This game isn't going anywhere so I have no rush to finish it.

Much more positive take on the situation.

#15493 3 years ago

Arrr! (take 2)

JJP POTC Kraken (resized).jpgJJP POTC Kraken (resized).jpg

#15494 3 years ago

Yesterday I had a ball jump up under the rocking ship and lodge itself between both flipper coils, shorting them and blowing a fuse. Now when I turn on the pin the right flipper goes up like the flipper button is being pushed. It drops when the pin is powered down. I get to figure that one out today. It was too late to spend time on it last night. I had already installed a playfield protector on a buddy’s TMNT LE and a full plastic protector set on my JJP POTC.
I’ll be shrink-wrapping the connectors on the coils after figuring this one out - to prevent future issues.
Gotta say though - loving this pin!

#15495 3 years ago

A transistor on the board in the backbox is toast. Look in the manual which one and replace it. Pretty easy fix if you know how to solder well.
I also had a ball stuck under the pearl once. Some tape on the lugs will prevent this. I also added a transparent vertical plastic protector below the pearl so balls cannot get there anymore. Don’t remember who sells them but consider to add this protector to your game.

#15496 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

A transistor on the board in the backbox is toast. Look in the manual which one and replace it. Pretty easy fix if you know how to solder well.
I also had a ball stuck under the pearl once. Some tape on the lugs will prevent this. I also added a transparent vertical plastic protector below the pearl so balls cannot get there anymore. Don’t remember who sells them but consider to add this protector to your game.

Thanks. Ordered the protector from Cointaker and the resistor from JJP.

#15497 3 years ago

Greetings folks from rainy UK. Typical summer weather here in England, rain! So noting to do outside in the rain, so I spent the last two days only playing my JJP POTC, still don't get the scoring or ruleset. I get the idea of chapters and have got to each of the wizzard modes, but never more than 2 in a single game. What am I missing? (Apart from skill).

#15498 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Greetings folks from rainy UK. Typical summer weather here in England, rain! So noting to do outside in the rain, so I spent the last two days only playing my JJP POTC, still don't get the scoring or ruleset. I get the idea of chapters and have got to each of the wizzard modes, but never more than 2 in a single game. What am I missing? (Apart from skill).

The wizard modes are available once you start 5 chapters from
A particular movie. The chapters are made available by making key shots which correspond to each movie. Then they are started and
Chosen more or less at
Random (it's based on which target the ball hits last when its trapped in the mode start area). If you are Really careful you can get only one movie's
Chapters available and then shoot the star map to start the chapter.

If you pick Tia Dalma, you can choose which chapter to start by using the flippers. Once you have 5 started plus the multiball, the wizard mode becomes available

#15499 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

For my (not great) level of play, the bulk of my (not very big) scoring comes from stacking as many multiballs as possible together while at the same time trying to play chapters as possible and getting Super X as often as possible. I think with more advanced skill people are able to be more precise about building shot values and stacking Super X and Shot X together to get big scores from a single shot, and they're also able to collect a lot of super jackpots to build the wizard mode scoring. The character you're playing can also have an impact on the best way to play for score using that character's traits.

#15500 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Getting to multiple wizard modes in a single game is quite an accomplishment! I've only done 2 a handful of times. Still haven't done 3 or more. As others have said, Pirate lane completions are where it's at, getting Super X whenever possible, which is basically every other lane completion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 310 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/310?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.