(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 309 of 378.
#15401 3 years ago

OK. I pulled the playfield out to it’s last service position and disconnected the bottom pin from the vertical bar behind the backboard so that the motor would run unencumbered by the ship. I moved the ship by hand and it moves freely and smoothly with no problems.
When running the recalibration the motor labors and doesn’t complete the recalibration. Slowest success is around 3 or 4 when unencumbered.
So I’m guessing that it’s somehow not getting enough power. (The motor and controller board are brand new as of yesterday). Unfortunately I’m no good with electronics. I’m good with a solder gun and have a meter, but have no clue how to use the meter other than to check continuity. I don’t really understand voltage, amperage etc. I guess I can try to trace the wires and re-flow the solder. Any suggestions?

#15402 3 years ago

While diagnosing with Jim at JJP support, we came up with the hypothesis that it’s a bad opto. I’ve ordered one - stay tuned!

#15403 3 years ago

Went through the settings and saw one of them that caught my eye: “first multiball with spyglass” under black pearl multiball. Default is 2, but I’ve never noticed the spyglass feature when qualifying that multiball...

Any ideas on what this is?

#15404 3 years ago

I was cleaning under the Dauntless today and found this cool artwork. You'll never see it unless the Dauntless is removed. Cool Easter Egg!

20200730_183311 (resized).jpg20200730_183311 (resized).jpg
#15405 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I was cleaning under the Dauntless today and found this cool artwork. You'll never see it unless the Dauntless is removed. Cool Easter Egg!
[quoted image]

Wow! That's pretty cool. I haven't taken the Dauntless off so I hadn't seen that before. Definitely a bummer that it's covered up. Might have looked good on the plastic in front of the Dauntless along the orbit.

#15406 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Aye matey - 'tis cool to be sure!

But it be under the Endeavor on my game.

#15407 3 years ago

Oh, my bad. I just know it as the "other ship" LOL

#15408 3 years ago

Just wondering if any in this club ever picked up a proto game with the original disk design? Did any of those ever get out to the general public? I’m guessing no, but I’m often wrong.

#15409 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Just wondering if any in this club ever picked up a proto game with the original disk design? Did any of those ever get out to the general public? I’m guessing no, but I’m often wrong.

I know the Seattle Pinball Museum has one.

#15410 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Just wondering if any in this club ever picked up a proto game with the original disk design?

Yelobird mentioned it in this thread I believe. Those games have earlier versions of software. Later versions of software won't support the original discs.

LTG : )

#15411 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

There Might be one of those in my basement arcade....lol. I thought everyone had 2 of this awesome game?

#15412 3 years ago

Need to replace my ball set, what should I put in this machine (fairly new to the hobby) Any care/maintenance I should do on the balls prior to putting them in there and/or regularly?

#15413 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

Need to replace my ball set, what should I put in this machine (fairly new to the hobby) Any care/maintenance I should do on the balls prior to putting them in there and/or regularly?

There will be varying opinions, but I buy these in bulk from Titan

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=69

#15414 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

yelobird mentioned it in this thread I believe. Those games have earlier versions of software. Later versions of software won't support the original discs.

True. Forgot about the earlier software. Just surprised I don’t see them more often. Usually people love the proto stuff.....other then just Yelobird.

#15415 3 years ago

There was one at Level 257 for a while. It was always off. Lol

#15416 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

After several hundred games I had finally crept up to 2.7M. Now I've discovered the power of Henry Turner! Two games over 5 million and another over 3 million. Henry Freakin' Turner!
Scrolling through the characters it only tells you "Spot Character Target Always Lit". But his secondary power is shots build skull values twice as fast. When you couple that in with some skull holds it gets crazy good. I also learned doing this that if you get a color maxed out at 10K, you don't even need a Skull Hold. It will still hold your 10K value over to the next ball whether you have a skull hold or not.

I got some clarification on this from the man himself, Keith Johnson. Apparently, even at 10K you still need a Skull hold or the value reverts back to 1K on the next ball. Also some more info on how Henry Turner actually works.

keefer

"Yes, Henry Turner.

BTW the skull value increases that happen DURING a chapter are based on the shot hit, not on a color. Generally speaking, the “harder” a shot is to make the bigger the skull value increase. It behooves you to try and shoot the outside shots first so the inner shots are way more valuable.

Skull values only hold when they say they are held. (Except one character, I think Angelica, always gives 1 free hold if you drain as her.) It’s very possible to lose your maxed-out Skull. By default, though, the game does its best to try and hold your most valuable skull first (unless you’re in a chapter, then it prefers the chapter you’re in).

A Tia Dalma shot adds the most during a chapter, 750, so if you’re Henry, she’ll add 1500."

#15417 3 years ago

Gotcha. So your free 10k holds are a bug

#15418 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I got some clarification on this from the man himself, Keith Johnson. Apparently, even at 10K you still need a Skull hold or the value reverts back to 1K on the next ball. Also some more info on how Henry Turner actually works.
keefer
"Yes, Henry Turner.
BTW the skull value increases that happen DURING a chapter are based on the shot hit, not on a color. Generally speaking, the “harder” a shot is to make the bigger the skull value increase. It behooves you to try and shoot the outside shots first so the inner shots are way more valuable.
Skull values only hold when they say they are held. (Except one character, I think Angelica, always gives 1 free hold if you drain as her.) It’s very possible to lose your maxed-out Skull. By default, though, the game does its best to try and hold your most valuable skull first (unless you’re in a chapter, then it prefers the chapter you’re in).
A Tia Dalma shot adds the most during a chapter, 750, so if you’re Henry, she’ll add 1500."

I thought that was the case. I knew I remembered draining without a skull hold and losing my built up 10k before. It's especially awesome when you have it at 10k, the wizard mode lit and then drain without a skull hold.

#15419 3 years ago

Im looking for the HMS mod for my pirates. If a anyone is selling their game and/or willing to give up their spot, PM me and let me know your price.

#15420 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Gotcha. So your free 10k holds are a bug

No, you're wrong. I was just mistaken about having no Skull hold.... geez...

#15421 3 years ago

Does anyone have issues with flipper weakness after playing for awhile? I’ve always noticed it but I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it here before. After playing for over an hour (and after running a lot of multiballs) my flippers start to weaken, especially the lower right. Just curious if anyone else notices it on their machine.

#15422 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Does anyone have issues with flipper weakness after playing for awhile? I’ve always noticed it but I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it here before. After playing for over an hour (and after running a lot of multiballs) my flippers start to weaken, especially the lower right. Just curious if anyone else notices it on their machine.

Won't say its common for all but I had a similar issue after Many games played. For me I replace both coil sleeves and haven't had an issue since? My guess is they started to heat up and grab or warp grabbing the plunger. Just a guess but that worked for me and a new set of sleeves from PinballLife and I have been good so far. Good luck.

#15423 3 years ago

My theory on this is plunger is steel. Sleeve is plastic. After several months of play the inner part of sleeve becomes “not smooth” anymore. This causes a little bit of friction. This coupled with the possibility of heat ( like yelo mentioned) causing the sleeve and plunger to expand at different rates Making the friction of an older sleeve more noticeable. I would clean mech and replace sleeves and everything should go back to nice and smooth

#15424 3 years ago

Also a little hack I learned while shopping my f-14. You can buy a bulk pack of the longer sleeves and then use a old plunger and a pipe cutter to cut down to size.

#15425 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I had this problem on my game after about 50 plays. Upper left flipper got really sluggish. Upon inspection I found the coil sleeve was too short and it was also cracked at the top. I replaced it with the correct one from the manual, plus a new plunger. It's been solid ever since.

#15426 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Won't say its common for all but I had a similar issue after Many games played. For me I replace both coil sleeves and haven't had an issue since? My guess is they started to heat up and grab or warp grabbing the plunger. Just a guess but that worked for me and a new set of sleeves from PinballLife and I have been good so far. Good luck.

Oooh, I had forgotten about changing the coil sleeves. I changed them once before but it I'm sure I'm overdue to change them again. Thanks!!!

#15427 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The flippers on my Hobbit seem to get weaker during some consecutive intense multiballs. I bought these mini RC motor fans to see if I can adapt them to the flipper coils. I thought that it was worth a try. TBD when I get some time to tinker with it.
20200805_121234 (resized).jpg20200805_121234 (resized).jpg

#15428 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Oooh, I had forgotten about changing the coil sleeves. I changed them once before but it I'm sure I'm overdue to change them again. Thanks!!!

I had the same problem with the upper left flipper on the main playfield. I couple times, I changed out the coil sleeve, coil stop, and even the coil itself ...still had issues. I then got I a rebuild kit and changed everything out. I've had no problems since then, it always seems strong now. It was weird, but cured me.

#15429 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The flippers on my Hobbit seem to get weaker during some consecutive intense multiballs. I bought these mini RC motor fans to see if I can adapt them to the flipper coils. I thought that it was worth a try. TBD when I get some time to tinker with it.
[quoted image]

Kinda weird, since LOTR had the same issue

#15430 3 years ago

Any news on code updates? Starting to think about moving this game out. It's so fun, but I am having a hard time getting over how they've just abandoned it.

#15431 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am having a hard time getting over how they've just abandoned it.

Abandoned it? Where do you get that from? Keefer said in an interview with bro that the code is coming.

#15432 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Abandoned it? Where do you get that from? Keefer said in an interview with bro that the code is coming.

How recently did he say that?

#15433 3 years ago

I listened to a podcast just within the last several weeks where Keefer was saying the new code would only be released when the final wizard mode was complete. He went on to say that won't be soon because he is very busy with JJPs current projects.

#15434 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

For all Practical purposes yes I would say abandoned. It been what 15-16 months since an update. Meanwhile basic things like preset difficulties are still missing. COVID downtime would have been the perfect time to polish and finish up some things. Correct me if I’m wrong but the game that came out after pirates is more complete at this time. The next game they release will probably be more complete than pirates. And Keith will have something new to work on and push us back again. It’s a never ending cycle.

#15435 3 years ago

We are being punished for not being more understanding and empathetic

#15436 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

For all Practical purposes yes I would say abandoned. It been what 15-16 months since an update. Meanwhile basic things like preset difficulties are still missing. COVID downtime would have been the perfect time to polish and finish up some things. Correct me if I’m wrong but the game that came out after pirates is more complete at this time. The next game they release will probably be more complete than pirates. And Keith will have something new to work on and push us back again. It’s a never ending cycle.

I think this always just comes down to sales... No Pirates left to sell, so the fuel to push code forward dries up.

#15437 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think this always just comes down to sales... No Pirates left to sell, so the fuel to push code forward dries up.

Or Keith is lazy

#15438 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Or Keith is lazy

Far from that.

The powers that be have him working on 5 games. Blue tooth stuff. And no way on knowing what he has to get programming started for future titles.

He's one of those unsung heroes that doesn't get the praise and credit for what he does.

#15439 3 years ago

Bluetooth should not be hard to program. It is not a new technology. Why is bluetooth even being programmed? It would be easier to do a hardware wetup directly off of the headphone port on the front. a momentary switch to activate search for bluetooth device. a led that blinks when searching and solid when paired. You could prolly hop on amazon and find a bluetooth device for under 30 bucks strip it down and wire in a switch.

I would care about coding on future titles when JJP can at leaast put forth an effort to complete Potc. When Stern releases a new machine I find myself looking up as much as I can about it and whether I think it will be fun. I still have no idea how Wonka works and could care less about future titles. I still maintain what I said a year ago that any company can go bankrupt at any time and the longer we have to wait the more chance it will never come. Nothing JJP has done in the past 6 months has told me they are doing good as a company. They cant even do a successful teaser "innovation is coming." When next year?

#15440 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Or Keith is lazy

I'm guessing it's not his decision to make.

Remember, Hobbit got worked on, again and again, as inventory was sitting around. Push the code, push the units out the door!

I'd say the same regarding Dialed In, but that seems more consistent with Pat Lawlor and how code seems fleshed out for his two games...ish, at launch.

#15441 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Bluetooth should not be hard to program.

As a developer, I love it when non-developers make ignorant statements like this.

#15442 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As a developer, I love it when non-developers make ignorant statements like this.

And I would say its ignorant to assume I have no experience. I have stated before I went to college for a year for..wait for it... computer programming. I have also done some small projects with raspberry pi's and 3d printers. In fact with a quick google search

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rudolph/Teaching/Articles/BTBook.pdf

This book targets the computer programmer looking for an introduction to Bluetooth and how to
program with it in Linux. It assumes no previous knowledge of Bluetooth (you may have never even
heard of it before picking up this book), but does assume that you have experience with either C or
Python

77 pages to explain how to program bluetooth into linux. Please explain to me what is hard about programming a protocol that is almost 20 years old? I bet you could do a mark zuckerburg a college student for 500 bucks and have bluetooth done in a couple weeks. Just make sure he doesnt have family at stern or cgc.

#15443 3 years ago

The reason why Wonka seems more complete is because it was shipped/released with "complete" code. They added bells, whistles, call outs, lights, and tweaked things, but the basic code was complete. Pat wants all new games shipped with 1.0 code minimum. That's why they are busy with future pin code to keep that goal. Keith said in that same recent interview that Pirates is not abandoned.

Wifi and Bluetooth are spare time work for some of the code guys too it seems. That's okay ... I am glad that all of the JJP pins will get that code added when they can get to it.

#15444 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

the longer we have to wait the more chance it will never come.

Yep, every day that passes is another day closer to someone important to the update process leaving JJP or some other project coming along to bump it further down the list. The longer it takes the more things will keep taking priority over it and with no POTC machines to sell it seems like they don't care to deliver any update at all, otherwise an incremental improvement update or two would have happened since April 2019.

The whole mentality of only delivering the next update when the wizard mode is done is b.s. and pretty much a statement by the JJP POTC team to POTC owners that says "Thanks for buying, but we've decided we don't have time to deliver what we said we would." Not a good way to keep customers.

#15445 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rudolph/Teaching/Articles/BTBook.pdf
This book targets the computer programmer looking for an introduction to Bluetooth and how to
program with it in Linux.

Now find a book “Pinball Wizard Modes for Dummies” and your problems are solved!

#15446 3 years ago

Tried to ignore the "Bluetooth is easy" thing, but...

Hardware integration is a pain in the butt. It is WAY different from programming software. Plus, JJP has to pick a hardware module to use, then plan for integration and then buy 100,000 of them for installation. If they pick one that hasnt been tested
Thoroughly, or
Is constrained/missing certain features, they are screwed.

Bluetooth has about 10 different possible implementations, 6 versions in the stack, not including Bluetooth LowE, the stupid new Apple high speed implementation, and a confusing backchain update to Bluetooth Classic.

We dont know what JJP is doing with BT, is it for audio? For data updates? They are likely building on the implementation started with DI, which as a previous owner, I can tell you was super fun, but not really
Playable - more a curiosity than anything. And it probably was just an exercise for the team they just decided to release for kicks.

That said, the biggest hurdle the team likely faces is that they are integrating into a huge pile of existing code which was never intended to integrate this way. Plus as Lloyd said, if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment, it's damn hard to get stuff done,
You're always switching gears.

Still, Multimorphic added Bluetooth -AUDIO- to the P3 (I dont believe it does data Transfer which is a whole other ball of wax). I'm getting one of those later this year so I'll find out more.

I don't doubt Keith is working hard on these games, and he HAS said the game will have one more
final update - to include the final wizard mode, character changes and Bluetooth, hopefully some other surprises.

But all This is conspiring against POTC ever really being finished. I heard Keith's comments on Buffalo Pinball, and it sure didn't sound positive to me. He basically said "it'll get done when I have time someday, and you Shouldn't worry about it since
Most people Can't get to The end of the game anyway". Ok...

If it was the only game he's working on, it would have been done long ago, but the longer it takes, the more likely this "final" release date becomes a vanishing point.

Now here's a thing: I've had my game packed up for 3 months now, haven't played it in forever. Once I crank it open maybe I'll feel differently, it's a pretty awesome set of code.

#15447 3 years ago

For those that somehow dislike the game because it’s “not complete” then sell it for a huge profit and quit complaining. There are tons of people interested in getting one so be thankful you are one of the lucky ones to own one of, if not the best pins ever. Personally I’d take POTC incomplete over any “complete” game out there. You wouldn’t even know it was “incomplete” if it wasn’t labeled version .99 and weren’t told there would be a final wizard mode. Keep making kick ass games JJP!

#15448 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Now find a book “Pinball Wizard Modes for Dummies” and your problems are solved!

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We dont know what JJP is doing with BT, is it for audio? For data updates? They are likely building on the implementation started with DI, which as a previous owner, I can tell you was super fun, but not really Playable - more a curiosity than anything. And it probably was just an exercise for the team they just decided to release for kicks.
That said, the biggest hurdle the team likely faces is that they are integrating into a huge pile of existing code which was never intended to integrate this way. Plus as Lloyd said, if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment, it's damn hard to get stuff done,

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

You wouldn’t even know it was “incomplete” if it wasn’t labeled version .99 and weren’t told there would be a final wizard mode.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

#15449 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult".

Ok here's why you're wrong. One year of CS class in college doth not a programmer make.
That's like trying to say brain surgery should be easy because you watched season of ER.

There are a million things you're glossing over.

- New user interface code has to be crafted to guide the user through the pairing process.
- How does the game handle the audio, is it simultaneous with the speakers or does it replace them?
- Does the audio stay in sync with the gameplay?
- Does the bluetooth stack have any ill effects with the existing code that need to be worked around?
- Can the game code handle the paired device being taken away gracefully?

Quoted from GnarLee:

Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

I didn't "scam" anything. JJP very graciously sent me a playfield for my LE. I still contend that once you conceal the issues, it is not a game-ruining thing. I sold my LE because a very close friend made me a very good deal on his CE, which I helped unbox myself when new. It was an offer I could not refuse. I did not profit on the LE sale, I paid the kindness I received forward.

In fact, when I sold the LE I emailed Jack to cancel_ the LE playfield request, but I ended up getting one anyway...the order was probably in queue already. I will find something positive to do with it for someone who can use it.

And yes the CE has playfield issues too. Chipping around sling posts hidden by the star post/washer fix, and there was some lumpiness around the Tortuga scoop which I flattened with the playfield iron (thanks @yelobird) before installing cliffys. I will purchase my own CE playfield at some point as a backup and I intend to pay full price for it.

GnarLee you and I have never really gotten off on the right foot. I hope that someday post-COVID we can meet up at TPF for a beer or something. I suspect we probably agree on more than we disagree on.

#15450 3 years ago

And by the way GnarLee I think it's impressive as hell you've been able to reach the Break the Curse mode.

Putting myself in your position, having a once-in-a-lifetime game and meeting all the required goals only to have the reward missing would be a bit of a disappointment for sure.

I wish I were a good enough player to have this problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 38.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Wanted
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 309 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/309?hl=eaglepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.