(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 300 of 378.
#14951 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s how I have set up all my games new and old. True and parallel to the lane is a proper neutral. Jacking them to make shots or back hands possible doesn’t seem correct for me by design.

Thanks Dave. But does parallel mean resting the rubber against a ruler running down the lane guide or having parallel as an imaginary line down the centre of the flipper? Because as I said two of my other games have alignment holes where the flipper agrees with the later more than the former.

Also going by the parallel rule how do people find the depths rolling flipper pass? Is it doable? By alignment or technique (dropping the flipper early as it starts to roll over). I’m sick of it passing into the slings and then bouncing back into the depths. Becomes a bit of a chore. If Eric has designed it so you are not meant to be able to consistently flipper pass from the depths than that’s fine. I will just flip with the left flipper rather than doing a pass.

#14952 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s how I have set up all my games new and old. True and parallel to the lane is a proper neutral. Jacking them to make shots or back hands possible doesn’t seem correct for me by design.

I remember reading on here that some manufacturers expect the flipper to point at the alignment dot, some expect the toothpick approach (rubber off, stick a toothpick in the hole). AP the flippers droop just a tiny bit

#14953 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I remember reading on here that some manufacturers expect the flipper to point at the alignment dot, some expect the toothpick approach (rubber off, stick a toothpick in the hole). AP the flippers droop just a tiny bit

Agreed. With so many variable rules the always reliable parallel to guides is a good reference point. Never had luck with the toothpick setup myself. If the ball rolls smoothly down the guide straight down the flipper on both sides odds are it’s close to perfect by design. Again, owners choice. On Houdini I could raise the flipper 5 degrees and back hand the ramp blind folded. I suspect not as it was designed but made me happy lol. As long as your Flipping there is No wrong way!

#14954 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. With so many variable rules the always reliable parallel to guides is a good reference point. Never had luck with the toothpick setup myself. If the ball rolls smoothly down the guide straight down the flipper on both sides odds are it’s close to perfect by design. Again, owners choice. On Houdini I could raise the flipper 5 degrees and back hand the ramp blind folded. I suspect not as it was designed but made me happy lol. As long as your Flipping there is No wrong way!

Hi Dave. Would really appreciate your comments on how passes work from the depths as questioned in my previous post. Thanks!

#14955 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hi Dave. Would really appreciate your comments on how passes work from the depths as questioned in my previous post. Thanks!

I’m probably the wrong guy to ask as I am a D player at best. Basically a keep the ball in the air at all cost player. With that said most games are not designed to be easy or predictable. It’s a game of chance where skill and (rousting) can sway the odds in your favor. My wife and I talk about this often. These games (all of them) were designed to Make Money not be fair. A skilled player can control many of those design shots but most just keep feeding quarters lol. Watching many POTC streams from JJP (Eric) yes the ball comes in hot from the depths as it has a Long Ejected travel toward the flipper. Most times even a skilled player (including the designer) had to do a flip pass to the other flipper to slow it down unlike most games. I suspect that’s the way he designed it and another reason this game (to me) is so special. It is Far from predictable and Amazing when you find your personal groove. That’s why I personally (me) don’t tune the game for convenience as more then likely something else will be sacrificed. My long view.... lol

#14956 3 years ago

I guess my point is a pass goes straight into the slings rather than the other flipper. Just curious if that happens to everyone.

#14957 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So I tried that. But that makes the flippers rest to far up.
I always get confused by the parallel to the lane guides. Does that mean the rubber of the flipper rests against the metal ruler which is running against the lane guide? Or do you line up the centre of the flipper against this parallel line?
Both my dead pool and AFM have alignment marks where the flipper points down compared to the lane guides. And pirates being such a wide bodied machine with targets so far too the side makes me think you don’t want the flippers to far off.
Then there is backflipping the pearl. Is this doable because of flipper alignment being slightly up or a higher flipper power setting?
Lastly the depths. How to do a rolling flipper pass from the depths over a raised left flipper to the right? Is this meant to happen? Or just always flip?
I guess I would like to know what the game behaviour should be. As I said the parallel rule does not work with some of my other pins.

I can easily backhand the Pearl on normal flipper power, and do roll passes out of the depths. I’d look at Eric playing on Twitch or Youtube to see how the different flippers are designed to be set. Personally, think the ruler method is hit-or-miss on modern games. Works but isn’t necessarily how it was designed to be played.

#14958 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I can easily backhand the Pearl on normal flipper power, and do roll passes out of the depths. I’d look at Eric playing on Twitch or Youtube to see how the different flippers are designed to be set. Personally, think the ruler method is hit-or-miss on modern games. Works but isn’t necessarily how it was designed to be played.

Thank you! I will go and watch the streams. Is it possible you could post a picture of your flippers? Also curious to know what your pitch is.

Thanks again!

#14959 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thank you! I will go and watch the streams. Is it possible you could post a picture of your flippers? Also curious to know what your pitch is.
Thanks again!

Here you go:

IMG_2957 (resized).jpgIMG_2957 (resized).jpgIMG_2959 (resized).jpgIMG_2959 (resized).jpgIMG_2962 (resized).jpgIMG_2962 (resized).jpgIMG_2963 (resized).jpgIMG_2963 (resized).jpg
#14960 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks again!

Here's a better shot of the upper one. And pitch is at factory which I think is 6.5.

IMG_2958 (resized).jpgIMG_2958 (resized).jpg

IMG_2964 (resized).jpgIMG_2964 (resized).jpg
#14961 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Here you go:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks lucky! We seem similar. So do you do any special technique to do the rolling lane pass from the depths or just have the left flipper raised?

Also to go back to EaglePin my top flipper is so. I think yours is resting too far out.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14962 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks lucky! We seem similar. So do you do any special technique to do the rolling lane pass from the depths or just have the left flipper raised?
[quoted image]

If I just raise my left flipper, it will roll over into the right sling and send the ball out of control. I have to make a timed light flipper raise to pass it to the right flipper controllably.

#14963 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Also to go back to eaglepin my top flipper is so. I think yours is resting too far out. [quoted image]

Looks like my upper flipper is actually further back. Plastic tip is about even with the metal ramp protector tab.

I don't necessarily just hold the flipper up but will time when it's raised based on ball speed. The feed from the depths is pretty variable but almost always controllable. Most of the time it will easily go to the right, occasionally stop on the left, and sometime go into the right sling. It rarely has enough speed left though to make the sling fire.

#14964 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If I just raise my left flipper, it will roll over into the right sling and send the ball out of control. I have to make a timed light flipper raise to pass it to the right flipper controllably.

Ok. That’s what happens to me as well. I think it’s by design and it agrees with what Dave was saying. Good to know.

Quoted from luckymoey:

Looks like my upper flipper is actually further back. Plastic tip is about even with the metal ramp protector tab.
I don't necessarily just hold the flipper up but will time when it's raised based on ball speed. The feed from the depths is pretty variable but almost always controllable. Most of the time it will easily go to the right, occasionally stop on the left, and sometime go into the right sling. It rarely has enough speed left though to make the sling fire.

My top flipper redirects the ball to the lower right on a full plunge. If I do a weaker plunge it can still go SDTM. if I hold it up it will hit the gold targets. Which is why I think EaglePin is too far out and he is missing the gold targets. Thanks for spending this much time checking the flippers for me. I think my lower ones are the same. Just 2 different tables and I need to perfect my passing skills!

#14965 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I guess my point is a pass goes straight into the slings rather than the other flipper. Just curious if that happens to everyone.

On mine most of the time out of the Depths I can raise the left flipper and have it go the other flipper without it hitting the sling. On occasion it comes out faster from the Depths and then it hits the sling unless I get the timing right to keep the pass low. Basically whether or not I try it depends on the speed it's coming out from the Depths though.

#14966 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

On mine most of the time out of the Depths I can raise the left flipper and have it go the other flipper without it hitting the sling. On occasion it comes out faster from the Depths and then it hits the sling unless I get the timing right to keep the pass low. Basically whether or not I try it depends on the speed it's coming out from the Depths though.

And speaking of the Depths, does anyone think they'll do something to incorporate it into game play? Right now I think it lights for Special, but I can only remember that happening once ever on my machine. The rest of the time it's not used for anything.

#14967 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m probably the wrong guy to ask as I am a D player at best. Basically a keep the ball in the air at all cost player. With that said most games are not designed to be easy or predictable. It’s a game of chance where skill and (rousting) can sway the odds in your favor. My wife and I talk about this often. These games (all of them) were designed to Make Money not be fair. A skilled player can control many of those design shots but most just keep feeding quarters lol. Watching many POTC streams from JJP (Eric) yes the ball comes in hot from the depths as it has a Long Ejected travel toward the flipper. Most times even a skilled player (including the designer) had to do a flip pass to the other flipper to slow it down unlike most games. I suspect that’s the way he designed it and another reason this game (to me) is so special. It is Far from predictable and Amazing when you find your personal groove. That’s why I personally (me) don’t tune the game for convenience as more then likely something else will be sacrificed. My long view.... lol

Great take on this. I respectfully disagree. Seeing Keith’s long form interview on Buffalo Pinball (“Bro, do You even talk...”), my take on it was that Keith is hung up on the game being HARD and maybe even impossible for the average player. He was unable to process why the fan base (the fan base!!!!!!!) was so interested in an update to the game. That they knew was happening. That the ideas / plans for were leaked __ONE YEAR__ ago.

His rationalization for the delay was (Paraphrasing here) that “most players won’t get to the final Wizard mode anyway”. Ok. Unless they make this incredibly long, detailed game... that they paid money for ... easier. How that should garner rancor from the designer, I don’t understand. That was judged as a cheat. Witness the rationalization about tilts per game (“well... you just saved a ball there so why would I give you another ball?”)

I’m not sure if this all computes but the overall feeling I got from that interview was an attitude of superiority that I just couldnt process. When asked if he could himself
Get to all these impossible modes himself, he gave this qualified “well, I COULD, but not necessarily after it was programmed into the game”. Uh huh.

Look, I think Keith has done more for the programming of rules for these games than almost anyone (gotta include Lyman Sheats), and maybe he was having a bad day, but that was some serious unwarranted attitude IMO. The game is already awesome, yes. But we paid for a full game. I’m finally over this: It doesn’t matter how exactly we experience it all; if it was sold with the intention of a final Wizard mode, it should have it. That kind of (unsanctioned, I’m sure) BS rationalization of why it’s not complete is just man-child excuses. It’s been ONE. YEAR. SINCE THE RULE update. And 6 months since the damn wifi update! For Christ sakes.

#14968 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And speaking of the Depths, does anyone think they'll do something to incorporate it into game play? Right now I think it lights for Special, but I can only remember that happening once ever on my machine. The rest of the time it's not used for anything.

Shooting the depth gives you a skull hold, which are super important for getting really big scores.

#14969 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

it was sold with the intention of a final Wizard mode, it should have it. That kind of (unsanctioned, I’m sure) BS rationalization of why it’s not complete is just man-child excuses. It’s been ONE. YEAR. SINCE THE RULE update. And 6 months since the damn wifi update! For Christ sakes.

POTC doesn't lack a wizard mode, it has 5 wizard modes. It's a game design and it's released, so it's finished and yet never done.

If they actually spend more effort on features/code, they should add content and fine tune aspects of the game we regularly see.

#14970 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

POTC doesn't lack a wizard mode, it has 5 wizard modes. It's a game design and it's released, so it's finished and yet never done.
If they actually spend more effort on features/code, they should add content and fine tune aspects of the game we regularly see.

After playing (possibly completing in which case good luck) all 5 of the movie wizard modes, the final wizard mode is called Break The Curse and that isn't in the game yet.

I think Keith is asking the question of why people are so eager to have it in the game right now when people aren't reaching the point of where it would be in the game anyway. I know I've never gotten there. I've had all 5 wizard modes lit and played 4 of them, but drained before I could start the 5th. If that is the qualification to get Break The Curse, I've been close, but if you have to finish all the wizard modes to qualify it then I have barely scratched the surface.

#14971 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great take on this. I respectfully disagree. Seeing Keith’s long form interview on Buffalo Pinball (“Bro, do You even talk...”), my take on it was that Keith is hung up on the game being HARD and maybe even impossible for the average player. He was unable to process why the fan base (the fan base!!!!!!!) was so interested in an update to the game. That they knew was happening. That the ideas / plans for were leaked _ONE YEAR__ ago.
His rationalization for the delay was (Paraphrasing here) that “most players won’t get to the final Wizard mode anyway”. Ok. Unless they make this incredibly long, detailed game... that they paid money for ... easier. How that should garner rancor from the designer, I don’t understand. That was judged as a cheat. Witness the rationalization about tilts per game (“well... you just saved a ball there so why would I give you another ball?”)
I’m not sure if this all computes but the overall feeling I got from that interview was an attitude of superiority that I just couldnt process. When asked if he could himself
Get to all these impossible modes himself, he gave this qualified “well, I COULD, but not necessarily after it was programmed into the game”. Uh huh.
Look, I think Keith has done more for the programming of rules for these games than almost anyone (gotta include Lyman Sheats), and maybe he was having a bad day, but that was some serious unwarranted attitude IMO. The game is already awesome, yes. But we paid for a full game. I’m finally over this: It doesn’t matter how exactly we experience it all; if it was sold with the intention of a final Wizard mode, it should have it. That kind of (unsanctioned, I’m sure) BS rationalization of why it’s not complete is just man-child excuses. It’s been ONE. YEAR. SINCE THE RULE update. And 6 months since the damn wifi update! For Christ sakes.

Ok. I was simply saying I was a poor player that doesn’t do post passes but I guess I understand your frustration on wanting a wizard mode. I must have missed Keith’s dialogue that upset you?

#14972 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Shooting the depth gives you a skull hold, which are super important for getting really big scores.

Ahhh, I hadn't ever noticed that before. Thanks! Still think it would be interesting/fun to have that shot involved more though.

#14973 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great take on this. I respectfully disagree. Seeing Keith’s long form interview on Buffalo Pinball (“Bro, do You even talk...”), my take on it was that Keith is hung up on the game being HARD and maybe even impossible for the average player. He was unable to process why the fan base (the fan base!!!!!!!) was so interested in an update to the game. That they knew was happening. That the ideas / plans for were leaked _ONE YEAR__ ago.

Besides the impossible final wizard, they’re are some pretty basic flaws with the coding.

Make the existing wizards exciting. Some are pretty dull.

Have a ball save after chapter select. This is just absent functionality. And pretty basic. Get a chapter awesome. Lose your ball... thanks.

Fix ball save on multiball. Man this game is slow to launch balls.

#14974 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok. I was simply saying I was a poor player that doesn’t do post passes but I guess I understand your frustration on wanting a wizard mode. I must have missed Keith’s dialogue that upset you?

It was on the "Bro Do you even talk pinball" podcast, last week I think.

That post comes off a little more fired up than i meant it, but the tone of how he answered the question really got underneath my skin. He had just answered a question about how people set their games up easy, and sort of mocking that (sometimes it's the only way a player can see half the game), and then the question about finishing the
Code, he said "well most
People won't see the final mode anyway so why do they care?" But as was pointed out, there are still bugs and features missing (ball search). He has a lot goomg on, no doubt, but in the interview he came off as smug and sort of "you'll get it when I'm ready", and emphasized that there wouldn't be an update before the final mode is in there. But I don't get why there can't be an interim update to address the other things.

#14975 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That post comes off a little more fired up than i meant it, but the tone of how he answered the question really got underneath my skin. He had just answered a question about how people set their games up easy, and sort of mocking that (sometimes it's the only way a player can see half the game), and then the question about finishing the
Code, he said "well most
People won't see the final mode anyway so why do they care?" But as was pointed out, there are still bugs and features missing (ball search). He has a lot goomg on, no doubt, but in the interview he came off as smug and sort of "you'll get it when I'm ready", and emphasized that there wouldn't be an update before the final mode is in there. But I don't get why there can't be an interim update to address the other things.

Yes it would be nice.

Funny thing talking about setting the game up easy. In trying to figure out the discrepancies in the rolling flipper pass from the depths I dropped my games pitch from 6.7 to just under 6.5. Then broke my GC score by a margin. Then broke a million on my first ball. And then again. Suddenly the game became easy. And a bit boring. But what I did notice is I could no longer do the upper loop. I sucked at it when I could usually pull off 7 or 8 quite easily. Put the game back up to 6.7. Scores dropped but suddenly I could get my loops going again.

#14976 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Code, he said "well most

I didn't hear the interview, but if that's what he said or implied then that's a pretty darn poor approach to customer service by JJP. I hope he didn't say or imply that because, as mentioned, there's a lot more to update than just the final wizard mode. New character traits were posted in this forum by JJP a year ago. In his stream last week Eric said new code will help the optos register inner loop shots. I get it that other priorities like developing and supporting Wonka kicked the POTC code updates down the JJP priority list, and now coronavirus is another delay in the timeline which I'd guess will push POTC code updates up against new game development and result in further delay. That all stinks but those are at least somewhat understandable circumstances. But to just decide they won't do an interim update for other items that might/should be ready to go because they've chosen for some reason to not update anything until the final wizard mode is done would be pretty weak and pretty far from customer friendly.

#14977 3 years ago

We've owned our pirates for over a year now and neither myself or my son has been able to complete a single wizard mode. I'm not a great player, but I'd say I'm above average, and I'd consider my son a really good player (way better than me). So I finally decided to move the left out-lane post from the factory position (conservative) to the secondary position (liberal). On the right side, the top post and lower post rubber, remain in the factory positions. Turns out the 1/4" change on the left has a dramatic affect on how the pin plays; within one day my son was able to finish both the red and green wizard modes (separate games) and had another game where he started four of the five wizard modes. As for me, I've been able to start the wizard modes, but still no luck finishing any, some day

20200510_223415 (resized).jpg20200510_223415 (resized).jpg20200510_223530 (resized).jpg20200510_223530 (resized).jpg
#14978 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

We've owned our pirates for over a year now and neither myself or my son has been able to complete a single wizard mode. I'm not a great player, but I'd say I'm above average, and I'd consider my son a really good player (way better than me). So I finally decided to move the left out-lane post from the factory position (conservative) to the secondary position (liberal). On the right side, the top post and lower post rubber, remain in the factory positions. Turns out the 1/4" change on the left has a dramatic affect on how the pin plays; within one day my son was able to finish both the red and green wizard modes (separate games) and had another game where he started four of the five wizard modes. As for me, I've been able to start the wizard modes, but still no luck finishing any, some day
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Yep, when the final wizard mode is eventually released I'm planning on moving that post and maybe the right outlane post also to go for the full experience of playing through the entire game. Should be fun when it happens.

#14979 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

... as mentioned, there's a lot more to update than just the final wizard mode.

...But to just decide they won't do an interim update for other items that might/should be ready to go because they've chosen for some reason to not update anything until the final wizard mode is done would be pretty weak and pretty far from customer friendly.

I am definitely not trying to put words in his mouth - but this is definitely how I interpreted it. I'll give him a break because I know he's had health issues, and if he's as on edge as I am due to our lockdown, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that this isn't what he meant - but it did come off to me that way.

#14980 3 years ago

anyone put a rubber on the post by the "me " to help with the "escape the locker " ?

#14981 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

anyone put a rubber on the post by the "me " to help with the "escape the locker " ?

Nope I quite like the Escape the locker as a tough one to get.

#14982 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Yes.

#14983 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

I would as well.

#14984 3 years ago

I put one in , to avoid the ball bashing a metal post

#14985 3 years ago

Hi iv got both my sound settings set on yes in attract mode, but don’t have any music. Is there anything elts I should be doing or is there no music in attract mode?

#14986 3 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Hi iv got both my sound settings set on yes in attract mode, but don’t have any music. Is there anything elts I should be doing or is there no music in attract mode?

Yet ANOTHER missing (minor) thing in the game. Only the JJP logo has attract music. At least it's got some i guess - My Elvira HOH has nothing at all!

#14987 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yet ANOTHER missing (minor) thing in the game. Only the JJP logo has attract music. At least it's got some i guess - My Elvira HOH has nothing at all!

I have turned the attract mode on my Hobbit to on and I think it just does the music for the JJP logo only. Though I am not certain.

#14988 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have turned the attract mode on my Hobbit to on and I think it just does the music for the JJP logo only. Though I am not certain.

Hobbit has a really lush theme it plays in attract mode. It's a great soundtrack, and does not come on all the time, but it's definitely there, and very prominent. You may have to turn it on in the menu, I dont' remember.

#14989 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hobbit has a really lush theme it plays in attract mode. It's a great soundtrack, and does not come on all the time, but it's definitely there, and very prominent. You may have to turn it on in the menu, I dont' remember.

I was hoping they would include this video in the attract mode. It is really nice.

#14990 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Installed it tonight and it didn't help. My audio still keeps going out.

Lots of recent posts here. Going back to this one. I had (what sounds like) the same problem out of the box. If the audio randomly drops out, does it drop out with just using the headphones? If no, try to unplug the main headphone/volume control cable from the main board. Bottom right corner of the board. If then the audio drop outs go away, then it is the same as mine. Steve at JJP sent me a new harness for that and told me to run it down the right side of the pin away from the transformer. I did that, same results. I then put that harness into a cooper plated sheathing that is supposed to reduce EMF issues. That didn't work either. However moving it near or further from the speaker effected it I noticed. I gave up after messing with it for a few hours after that. I just have that harness disconnected on the main board. No headphones or volume control.

If you eventually find a solution, please PM me. Just sharing info if it is the same issue.

#14991 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Lots of recent posts here. Going back to this one. I had (what sounds like) the same problem out of the box. If the audio randomly drops out, does it drop out with just using the headphones? If no, try to unplug the main headphone/volume control cable from the main board. Bottom right corner of the board. If then the audio drop outs go away, then it is the same as mine. Steve at JJP sent me a new harness for that and told me to run it down the right side of the pin away from the transformer. I did that, same results. I then put that harness into a cooper plated sheathing that is supposed to reduce EMF issues. That didn't work either. However moving it near or further from the speaker effected it I noticed. I gave up after messing with it for a few hours after that. I just have that harness disconnected on the main board. No headphones or volume control.
If you eventually find a solution, please PM me. Just sharing info if it is the same issue.

Are there two separate unrelated audio issues? I hear people talk about drops and clipping but I don’t think I’ve experienced that one. On mine I’m hearing this faint high pitch hiss/buzz sound. These don’t sound like the same issues, correct?

#14992 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Are there two separate unrelated audio issues? I hear people talk about drops and clipping but I don’t think I’ve experienced that one. On mine I’m hearing this faint high pitch hiss/buzz sound. These don’t sound like the same issues, correct?

I think that probably is the same issue. I'd unplug the front panel and see if it clears it up!

#14993 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Separate issues. First attempt was to swap out the isolator gizmo. Not even related. The sound would occasionally completely drop out. I sent a video of the issue to JJP. Steve and Butch at JJP walked me through a few things and thought it was a bad headphone harness. A new one didn't solve it.

#14994 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think that probably is the same issue. I'd unplug the front panel and see if it clears it up!

Nope. Unplugging it from the main board in the back box makes the sound clipping/drop out issue go away. Unplugging it from the front controls didn't affect it.

#14995 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Nope. Unplugging it from the main board in the back box makes the sound clipping/drop out issue go away. Unplugging it from the front controls didn't affect it.

I don’t use the headphones ever...what is the easiest way to tackle this hissing sound? New ground loop isolator isn’t necessarily the fix ? Unplugging something is the more likely correct fix?

#14996 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

One thing I would like to see is some kind of base value for the wizard modes or something along those lines. The wizard modes are not easy to get to and you can definitely maximize their value by planning ahead, but there should be some minimum reward for getting there, maybe 250,000 points for achieving and then whatever you get in the mode. Today I got to the Curse of the Black Pearl wizard mode, played it and didn't even lose my ball in it, it just timed out and all I got was 12,000 points. There is no reason a wizard mode that is achieved and played played until it timed out should only award less than a standard MB start shot.

#14997 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t use the headphones ever...what is the easiest way to tackle this hissing sound? New ground loop isolator isn’t necessarily the fix ? Unplugging something is the more likely correct fix?

This hissing and hum is usually the ground loop isolator. If you have another JJP pin, try swapping that gizmo and see if the problem follows it.

#14998 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

One thing I would like to see is some kind of base value for the wizard modes or something along those lines. The wizard modes are not easy to get to and you can definitely maximize their value by planning ahead, but there should be some minimum reward for getting there, maybe 250,000 points for achieving and then whatever you get in the mode. Today I got to the Curse of the Black Pearl wizard mode, played it and didn't even lose my ball in it, it just timed out and all I got was 12,000 points. There is no reason a wizard mode that is achieved and played played until it timed out should only award less than a standard MB start shot.

And treasure horde seems more trouble than it’s worth. Guess I should try and hit it with a multiplier first. But still. I get more from chapters.

#14999 3 years ago

My audio was just completely dropping out. Tried all the fixes mentioned above. Nothing helped. Slid the playfield back and must have jostled something. Now it is working again. Not sure why.

#15000 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This hissing and hum is usually the ground loop isolator. If you have another JJP pin, try swapping that gizmo and see if the problem follows it.

Swap isn’t an option. Don’t have any other JJp machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 300 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/300?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.