(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

987 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 2 of 4.
#4438 5 years ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

What was the recommended “Sticky Button” fix? Is there one? The Switch works fine, but the button physically binds. Lube? If so, what kind?

I hit one with WD40 which worked great.
I hit another one with silicon spray which worked great.

Then I hit one with silicon spray and it made things worse! It physically bound up as if glue was forming inside it. That one we had to disassemble and sand the plunger and sleeve to get rid of it. Then it worked great.

I really don’t know what happened that made that one go bad with the spray. It must have had some other kind of lubricant in there that reacted badly with it.

#4441 5 years ago

How frequently should I change balls to minimize playfield wear?
And which ones are recommended? I know Silverjets are top notch for games that don’t have magnets, but this one does.

I got a couple tubes of these but wondering if there’s a better option.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-5

#4451 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do not use WD40 products as they are not lubricants and Will in time make things gum up.

Doh! I did this on my first machine. Been ok so far but at least it’s a cheap part.

Thanks for the writeup! There are at least 3 different faults around this button that I know of so far:

1. The shaft itself binding in the sleeve
2. The button extending in between the switch and getting stuck, fixed by bending the switch
3. The button having a burr that binds in the button housing, which you have documented excellently

I’ve also been made aware of another fault with this button by imagamejunky - the button plunger has a flared end to keep it from popping out. This gets worn over time and the button starts riding higher and higher until it eventually pops out.

Honestly this button seems to be a crappy part in general. I’m thinking I will just find a replacement clear leaf button.

#4466 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The only contradiction I would make to that is IF the screw is in the end of the button it can't technically come out by design. The shaft pre-flare actually measures over .025" clearance which should never bind.

I checked mine and sure enough I have already worn through the little plastic flare, and the screw is the only thing keeping it together. Since the only side effect is the button rides slightly higher than normal, I am fine with this.

#4482 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Did Lloyd or Butch make a video about taking the ship out yet? I need to adjust a flipper and a video would be helpful.

Not yet, but you can adjust both flippers without removing the Pearl with thre playfield in the last service position.

#4504 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thank you but can't seem to find the post, happen to have a link to it?

There is a pin that pokes through the back of the playfield. See if it it striking the top or bottom of this slot. If it is, slide the playfield out to the last service position. You will see a flat metal arm behind the playfield with two screws. Loosen and adjust so full range of motion is restored. Then run ship calibration test.

#4511 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Extra two days gives me time to watch the 5th, and last for me (thank God!), POTC movie before I "weigh anchor and hoist the sails" on me new treasure! Arrrr!

Those movies really are a slog, aren’t they?

I think a good community effort would be documenting each chapter title from the game with a few sentences explaining what happened. It’s something I’ve considered taking on but I just can’t deal with watching movies 2-5 again. I haven’t even finished 5.

#4518 5 years ago

They are a bit of a slog, but I'm glad I've made the effort to watch them as you learn good info (as well as misc trivia) which has been incorporated into the game

I agree completely. Watching them really helped me understand the references and made me appreciate how hard they worked with what they had.

#4521 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Number 167 in the house! Quick question as I set it up. How high do you guys have your back legs jacked up? I know Stern is almost flat anymore and I look at Wizard of Oz that I have and it's pretty high
[quoted image]

I started with all 4 levelers spun all the way down, then adjusted to 2nd line on bubble level and side to side with a hand level.

#4531 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I am interested to know what other folks shooter lanes look like?
Mine has that cool, darkened wood look!

One dark one light. It’s a real wood product with natural variations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#4546 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

I can’t figure this one out yet either but I am curious

It’s characters collected, which affects your wizard modes.

#4556 5 years ago

I swapped the rubber to the left just so I'll have less auto plunge fails!

I dropped the autoplunge power a couple points and that seems to have stopped it. I was getting lots of autoplunge fails last night on my stream and did this afterward.

I noticed a very slight lift on the right rail at the end of the shooter lane, presumably bending that would address the issue at any power level. But for now the power fix is working.

#4557 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Hey all - I've noticed on my POTC that it's almost impossible to make the skill shot into the map hole and even harder if you hit the inner loop first. As the ball rolls around toward the flipper it doesn't ride the outside rail so it tends to be about a 1/2 inch away from the flipper. The shot into the hole requires flipping very early (toward to top of the flipper) and with the gap between the ball and the flipper there's not enough strength and the ball usually lobs into the gold targets. I've tried to make that skill shot hundreds of times and it almost never works. Making the inner loop is not problem. My game is level left/right and pitched a bit steeper than the default. Anyone else notice this with the skill shot?

When you pull the plunger and release, does the autoplunger fork jump? If so, they are contacting each other and robbing your shooting power. Adjust the shooter until it stops.

#4566 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I am banging my head against the wall. Can't find pearl removal instructions anywhere. Not in the manual, etc.
My NIB LE left Pearl flipper is binding....grrrrr

I bet it isn’t gapped properly. You should be able to access the pawl nut for the flipper without removing the pearl and do your adjustments. I recommend watching LTG flipper gap video earlier in the thread as well as Butch Peel’s flipper video on the JJP site.

#4568 5 years ago

Thanks @ltg!!

#4573 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Hey guys, thanks for all the info! Got the Pearl flipper sorted, now balls won't release from the chest...anyone run into this?

Try adjusting the speed of the chest release. I believe it’s in the coil settings screen.

#4583 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Using Marco balls....that might make sense. Will throw the balls that came with it in. THANK YOU!

Huh. I just swapped in those Marco balls a week ago and haven’t had them magnetize yet.

They were specifically listed as resistant to magnetism.

#4594 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Got a few games on mine tonight. Action button not giving me any issues but the shooter is. It does not look aligned properly. Whether I manual plunge or Auto plunge it doesn't make it all the way around the loop. I assume the whole assembly needs to be moved over? It looks a little too far to the left. Any input would be appreciated. Would have thought they would have worked that out by now.
[quoted image]

There is a bracket under the playfield that holds the coil and autoplunger. See if it’s bent or misaligned. Once things look better left to right, confirm that empty manual plunges do not cause the autoplunger to kick. They should not contact each other.

Also check the rails in the shooter lane and ensure they are flat and not bent upward.

#4602 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

How do you take the tom off to tighten tortuga screws?

This post describes how to remove the pop bumper assembly to get at the screws.
Put a towel down when you work, so you don’t drop a screw in the scoop!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/64#post-4811415

#4619 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

In the end what matters, and what only matters, is that these playfields do not dimple like some of the Sterns.
Why you are so upset about a layer that only serves one single purpose, which is spacing out and creating a sandwich effect, will remain your little secret. Unproductive bickering.

Not looking to open this debate again, but I’m a firm believer that dimpling is unavoidable unless you don’t play the machine regardless of manufacturer.

My POTC is dimpling at around the same rate as my Star Wars. No worse no better.

#4627 5 years ago

One last thing to point out regarding dimpling - JJP does sell playfields on their site, $999 for the LE. If you’re really concerned about wear and appearance, buy a spare playfield and put it on ice. Then play the hell out of your game without worry over dimples, scratches, chips, etc.

I consider this game a lifetime keeper. Because it’s so special I may get one of those playfields myself.

#4644 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I must be the outside odd duck on this subject. I personally Love the Original sound track JJP created and how its integrated. Building suspense where it needs to be and whimsical in places that are fun. Absolutely brilliant in my opinion. To listen to a sound track Over and Over would drive me batty. Kind of the Only thing I dislike about Munsters at the moment. To me, creating something New is appreciated and creative. To copy and paste a repeating track not so much. But then again I am odd that way.....lol

I am with you. Initially I thought the game suffered from not having the movie soundtrack, but I’ve grown to really love and appreciate the custom soundtrack they created.

#4650 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Having a new issue with my black pearl ship, now it seems to be stuck in calibration mode indefinitely from the moment I turn on the game. I've tried getting it to stop in settings under the device test but nothing seems to stop it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Are the left/right Pearl optos firing as they should? Did one break, or a wire to one break?

#4670 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I've posted about this before. JJP's are just computers.

Yep! This made tapping the video screen for my twitch stream pretty easy.

#4676 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oooh, see I said to my friend how the JJP feeds must be direct feed somehow, as their streams, and subsequently your own, are so vibrant compared to the native screen.... unfortunately.
I was meaning to ask you, I had some issues watching your stream on my phone yesterday. Most likely the building and signal I get at work. You haven't happened to have uploaded your prior streams to YouTube, have you?

No nothing to YouTube yet. Waiting for a good breakout game!

Try setting your monitor to DCR ON and sRGB color. That really improved the color for me.

I’m visiting my Texas machine this weekend. I’m bringing my streaming gear and will do some streams from there as well as my Star Wars. (Follow twitch.tv/NSPinball)!

#4678 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Pinballlife, Marco, Titan, and others all carry mylar. Pinballlife & Titan have precut 1" square mylar pieces that are perfect for spot protection placement.

The goodie bag includes lots of spare Mylar as well.

#4682 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I checked my monitor to see if it's the HDMI (older) or DVI (newer) version. Mine has a DVI screen and the production date is 1.15.2019.
Screen looks great!

That screen is bad ass out of the box for sure!

The older HDMI screen disappointed me at first but I’m pretty happy with it after my tweaks. Happy enough not to have screen envy any more.

#4684 5 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Just for general info: I have a DI here and a POTC. The DI is connected with DVI at the monitor and the POTC with HDMI, but the cable that is used in the POTC is just DVI to HDMI so the source of both is DVI therefore no difference.
I tweaked the settings of the monitors (DCR Off, Brightness 41, Contrast 50, Color setting on USER R50, G50, B50) and they now look exactly the same, much less washed out. If you look in the attract mode of POTC there is a screen with just the number of the LE, rest is black. Make sure that screen looks as black and the lettering as white as possible.
My two monitors are now on these settings and they look much better than before.

Added to the fixes page, thank you!

#4689 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Anyone else have the problem with black pearl is permanently stuck in force calibration test mode?

On power up, the normal behavior is for the ship to rock left and right once. Go into tests and run the ship calibration test yourself. There are two squares which flash green as the optos are triggered. Are both working?

#4691 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

When I turn the machine on the ships rocks back and forth I definitely, does not stop. The. Is slowly starts to slow down then eventually stops and starts up again. So I assume that’s the force calibration mode. When I go into the ship test in settings, it shows it’s in force calibration mode and I can see the numbers ticking down and the ship slows down.

And the green opto squares on that screen?

#4693 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

They are triggering, lighting on and off.

Well I’m out of ideas, sorry! Time to contact your distributor.

#4707 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So does the chest shot have to be perfect ?cause I've had a lot that looked like they where in but came back out. I have checked guide and screws are tight for forks

I can’t sink that shot with the left flipper. It takes a good strong hit from the right one.

#4718 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Ok so that worked with testing out the cpu. It’s good!
I will pull compass lcd and try the vga to it and see if there is a break in the line.
[quoted image]

Great troubleshooting!

#4735 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Bump up your flipper coil strengths. I can hit it from both flippers with ease.

I’ve been hesitant to do that as the defaults have the powers mismatched, presumably intentionally. Maybe for gameplay balance, maybe for airball prevention.

I can hit the chest from the left flipper, but it definitely rolls out more frequently for me.

#4738 5 years ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

Does anyone else’s topper flicker a bit? Trying to decide if that’s normal, or it’s not getting consistent power..

Totally normal.

#4757 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I received my NIB LE yesterday. It is LE 62. I see other people receiving games now around 160 -170. Was hoping for a newer model. Didn't think they would have these older ones still around. Any kinks I should be looking for out of the box?
Thanks

Numbers are not sequential, yours likely is newer. The build date is in the back, what did you get?

Kinks to look for: http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes

#4759 5 years ago

I reached the end of the compression and found nothing but an 8Gig encrypted file. For whatever stupid reason, JJ did in fact encrypt the content on this game. Just when I thought this company could do no wrong, here is the dick move.....

It could be a contractual obligation. I wouldn’t assume it’s malice.

#4761 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Not on here, ball stuck in chest. First ball shot in there, stuck close to the entrance not in the first ball lock position. Also vuk to the upper play field constantly firing and not moving the ball at all.
Anyone else find it almost impossible to get the play field back in position with the lock down brackets in? The tightest I’ve ever seen by far. Do people cut the zip ties for the cables bunches in the back to give a little more room?

Did you remove the screwed in foam block in the back of the cabinet?

Regardless, it is definitely very tight. I have to press on the playfield new low the LCD towards the back for it to settle into position. It took be several pinched fingers to find this sweet spot.

#4771 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I have a problem with the black pearl .It rocks fine during game ,but when the cannon is loaded it slows down super slow,
I some times have to wait for it to tilt back left to shoot the bullseye . I worry it's so long that it might auto shoot...
any Ideas?

I had this exact problem. During cannon shot mode the power is lower, and if there is a physical problem it may freeze up or move intermittently.

Fix is documented earlier in this thread (search my posts).

#4782 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Could one of you CE guys do me a quick favor and either show or explain how the topper is hooked up? It comes with one dark blue/ light blue and one dark blue/ dark blue with purple stripe lead (two leads/cables total), both on connectors with two female plugs, they reach ca. 4 inches into the backbox, no two connectors up there in reach or first sight, no additional cable came with my topper, please assist if you could.
-Goetz

There are two harnesses in the backbox. They reach but you’ll want to route them away from the LED strip so you don’t get a dark line on the marquee.

#4785 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Well, they are 3 inches short

Sorry, saw that after I already replied. That sucks! We had to pull on ours a little bit but they worked.

#4794 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Ok 666 666 and Arrr Frenzy is so much fun that you can't wait to get it going again. I can't stop thinking about and playing this game.

Couldn’t agree more. I absolutely love this game.

#4797 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Rumor is that Stern has it

That would be a damn shame.

Can you imagine Harry Potter applied to the deep ruleset and killer layout of JJPOTC?

#4799 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm expecting issues and hoping for the best. I don't really care, can't be any worse than my last two Stern pins, and i still love them (except IMDM).

We’re here to help if you do. Most issues are minor adjustments and tweaks that can be done without getting more parts. It is_ worth it!

#4801 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Eric's design is absolutely solid, and whoever did QC on the assembly line needs a kick in the rear.

What all did you have to tweak/fix, and what was your build date?

#4804 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What is the 6666 mode?

All 5 movie multiballs stacked plus Tortuga.

#4811 5 years ago

Is there any definition on what, exactly, the presets do?

I’m in Texas and this machine used the “Home” preset. In Los Gatos, I just used defaults and set the ball save to 5 seconds.

I was playing the Texas machine and was surprised to see an Extra Ball on Mystery level one which I’ve never seen before.
I’m guessing the Home setting must have cranked down a difficulty setting.

#4813 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Was it giving it everytime? Otherwise it was just a lucky random mystery award.

Maybe just lucky! Not sure.

#4820 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Does everyone else have this rattlesnake kind of sound effect all the time? Is that supposed to sound like that? Kind of annoying...

Gonna need a video to understand what you mean.

There is kind of a boiiing sound when you get a ball on the Pearl?

Does it happen with the volume all the way down?

#4822 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Hope you can hear it. is it supposed to be coins maybe?

It happens all the time during gameplay as well. But I never hear coins dropping.

Kinda hard to tell. Does my stream video sound different to you? https://www.twitch.tv/videos/386833152

#4825 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Oh man, listening to your game it seems like I have half the soundeffects missing. And that rattling sound is not an effect I hear on your video. Now what could that be...?

The first thing I’d do is make sure you’re on the latest 0.98 firmware, if you’re not already.

#4827 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am probably not hearing what you are but it kind of sounds like the treble is dialed Way up and the bass sounds way down?

Speaking of that, is there a bass adjustment somewhere in the software or hardware?

#4879 5 years ago

Streaming POTC from my Texas game room now! http://twitch.tv/nspinball

#4891 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Working through some fixes and trying to figure out the menu. Just to be sure when I’m in coil test and I press the start button (when it on manual) the coils should fire right? I’ve also had it run through then all and while it scrolls through each coil on the screen nothing is happening on the playfield.
I asked what number of balls for each multiball as I’ve only got two for each one. Starting to think a ball through sensor could be the issue

Coils are disabled when the coin door is open. There’s a white plunger in the coin door hinge you can pull out to override this.
Be careful as it does this for safety reasons.

#4898 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Turned on the ol' NIB LE today and Switches 9,10, and 12 are stuck open and don't respond/activate when you press the targets manually. These are the BONUS, X, and LOAD targets on the Pearl.
Also, there is no foam behind the BONUS and X targets on the Pearl.
Any ideas?[quoted image]

Sorry to say I know exactly what that is.

You have a broken wire under the Pearl, likely the green/brown one. You’ll have to pull the Pearl, find it and resolder it. Did this to a NIB CE for a friend.

#4900 5 years ago

Thanks zaph, found the broken wire, can't quite tell where to solder it back on. Did you remove the ship completely from the playfield, or just lean it on its side?
I find it doesn't lean very well on its right side/there's not enough room. The broken wire is on the left side.

We leaned it - I had help, the game owner held the Pearl while I reattached it.
This picture shows the broken wiere and the attach point.

6BFB3931-099B-4759-9200-7F879EE2F7FE (resized).jpeg6BFB3931-099B-4759-9200-7F879EE2F7FE (resized).jpeg
#4901 5 years ago

To be clear we did remove the pearl from the mounts, but we didn’t pull it completely out of the game. We did have to cut a zip tie to give us enough slack in the wires.

#4906 5 years ago

Seriously. Thanks zaph by the way..the solder worked!
On a side note, we've had a few posts of "No QC issues at all, vast majority of POTCs have had zero issues, the people posting are just a very small minority". Those posts really irritate me.
Back to silver ball!

Woohoo! Glad it worked!
The people who are saying the vast majority have no issues are mistaken, based on my 3 unboxing experiences.
There are too many common recurring issues to make that assertion. This wire issue is a great example which has happened to several people.

My #1 goal with collecting these fixes is to help people play their games on unboxing day.

#4911 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

No foam behind mine either.
I have something going on behind/under the upper playfield, balls get stuck there and running coil tests doesn’t bring up anything. Can’t see where the ball is getting stuck or hung up.

Check the pearl VUK power. Default is 32. It was shipped low on one machine which was causing VUK launches to fail and balls to fall back there.

#4913 5 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

LE number 229, manufacturing date 2/4/19
has arrived. So far my only issue was the Peal not moving. Fixed and now seems fine.

For documentation, what was the cause/fix? Was it adjusting the bar behind the backbox?

#4915 5 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

Yes that is correct. At first it seemed to work fine. After a few test games, it would not move at all. Couldnt get it to move in test menu either. I adjusted the bar which attaches the Pearl to the motor. Now all seems fine.

Awesome. Same issue mine had then. Glad you were able to quickly find and fix it! I was hosed for a couple days on mine.

#4921 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Thanks for posting! Now I know where it may have gone if one goes missing.
Also on this note. Couple of places where the ball got stuck on one of my last games...
First one, only happened once, second one keeps happening, have to hit side so it drops down (any fix?)[quoted image][quoted image]

There should be a clear cabinet bumper right under the "D" in Man Overboard to prevent this. Is yours in the right spot?

See photo:

IMG_0564 (resized).jpegIMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
#4922 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Anyone had any issues with spot lights? Couple started flickering and then stopped working, when I had a closer look, they were loose/unsoldered. Have some other white ones but way too bright. Anyone know where to get the ones the game brings from? Thanks![quoted image]

Yes, the spots are a trouble spot I've seen in 3/3 machines. Some fixes I used in the guide at http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes.

Also there is a drop-in replacement suggested by Yelobird https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax12v.htm

#4923 5 years ago

RPZ also look at the angle of the shooter rails in my photo vs yours - mine is further right which puts a rail where your ball is stuck. Might want to loosen the nut and adjust.

#4938 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Argh wish I had a pic but I had a ball trap wayyyy up in the wire nest under the Pearl! Totally invisible until I pulled the ship.

That same trap happened to my friend. I haven't seen it yet myself. I think we're gonna need some kind of protector around that hole.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.28.12 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.28.12 PM (resized).png
#4948 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a link to new flipper rubbers. I can't believe I've gone thru mine already!
Thanks

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/926

#4959 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm not sure if anyone listened to the Kaneda review of Pirates that he put out yesterday, but I definitely have issues with the way he's approached the game.

I agree. Stay tuned.

#4961 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Yeah I checked all the boxes. No hardware for the topper.
Gerry

Not in the sealed blister packs either? Should have 4 plastic plugs and 4 screws.

#4970 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

This seems to have done the trick!! Thanks so much! Had about 4 games and no hang ups!
The little clear rubber was there, but I found another one here;
Any idea where it belongs?[quoted image][quoted image]

Back of Tortuga scoop have one?

#4976 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I should also note the plunger tip was ripped/bent. Looks like it go smashed up against something and the plastic tip already ripped off. Not damage to the box but looks like that side of the cab/game took a beating it was barley assembled before it left JJP. Again this was a game built two weeks ago.

I had a torn shooter tip as did a friend. In my case I thought it was caused by the shooter contacting the autoplunger but maybe they are just being applied too aggressively at the factory, or are a cheap part.

#4977 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Anyone not watch any of the movies until after they started playing this machine? I haven't seen any of them and I'm wondering if it will enhance my enjoyment of the game if I do watch them.

Yep. One of my maybe projects is to put together a wiki which lists the chapters in the game along with 2-3 sentences describing what is going on.

#4978 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

None of my switches on the Black Pearl are working. I believe it's the green and brown wire that's the problem. Has anyone been able to fix that wire without removing the ship? I haven't done it yet, and would prefer to not remove it until I have my Cliffys.

I had one machine where 3 of the Pearl switches were out and yes it was that wire. Sorry to say it has to come out, there is no way you’re going to solder it back without doing so.

#4980 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Went thru everything with a fine tooth comb, some fixes were already installed from the factory, which shows they do listen to Pinside:

The JJP folks definitely read this thread and they are really great. I am glad to hear some of the fixes are being done proactively!

It sounds like you had a great unboxing! I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do!

#4983 5 years ago
11C84731-5BCF-47EA-9CB8-EFF7EB29AA40 (resized).jpeg11C84731-5BCF-47EA-9CB8-EFF7EB29AA40 (resized).jpeg
#4985 5 years ago

The fact that you actually own two POTC's is already quite a personal endorsement!

I’m thinking of dumping them both for a CE, but I’d like to stay married.

#5011 5 years ago

Kaneda posted my rebuttal today! Pirates fans unite, yarr!

#5043 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Just got my LE. Looking to buy some mods and I see the Mod Couple sells a disk silencing kit. My disk doesn't seem to be that loud. Yes, I can hear it, but I have heard people say theirs are very loud to the point of annoying. I really don't see the need for this on my game. Are some louder than others?
Thanks
Gerry

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

#5053 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

Listened to it on my drive home tonight. Great job of representing the fan base though it was obvious that Kaneda was not swayed. I don't understand how he can call this a polarizing pin since he is the only one I have heard ripping it. I hope he has you on again.

Thanks! My goal wasn’t to change his mind per se, but to give a balanced opinion. I really think the main problem is that he played a poorly configured machine and had a really bad experience. From the description of the setup I think even I would have come to the same assessment.

These games are hard to come by in the wild so you have to take what you can get. I hope he finds a good one to experience just so he can see how it is supposed to play. If he still doesn’t like it, who cares? That’s pinball and not every game is for everyone.

#5056 5 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments folks! I’d definitely cast with Kaneda again.

#5062 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You did good!
Here’s Kaneda’s look when you told him you bought Star Wars and love it.
[quoted image]
And of course, Derecks peace out when the interview was over:
[quoted image]

Thanks! I really didn’t feel like that though. It seemed to me a perfectly friendly conversation.

#5066 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

'Why do so many of you care what he thinks?' and
'Why is there interest in trying to convince him otherwise?'

I decided to email him and be on show because honestly, I felt bad. When I heard all these crazy negative opinions on the game I just couldn’t believe we were playing the same game. I felt like he was not given the same experience we’re having with our games, and (with the info Serge posted about how badly the game was configured) it now makes sense.

#5074 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

@screaminr
Is it the longer one I have? Should I still have it where I put it?
[quoted image]

Looks just like mine which I’ve been told is the newer one. Clear bump looks right also!

08B630A3-520B-44A9-9B12-2213FD1A60C7 (resized).jpeg08B630A3-520B-44A9-9B12-2213FD1A60C7 (resized).jpeg
#5079 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Actually, you missed the mark on that one. My Man crush is on @zaphx - that dude’s a stud!

So you HAVE heard of me...

52391386-F694-4B4E-A4FC-2B918D138403 (resized).jpeg52391386-F694-4B4E-A4FC-2B918D138403 (resized).jpeg
#5084 5 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

Thinking of picking up an LE.Is there any build dates or code to be concerened about.Thanks

There is no known “cutoff date” for certain problems/issues.
If you have a choice, get the newest build they have but I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

As a community I think we’ve got a handle on things that can need fixing at this point. Plus your distro and JJP support (who are excellent) will help should the need arise.

#5086 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

If the production of pirates is coming to an end soon, what does that mean for spare parts? Are you guys worried about that at all?

I’m considering buying a spare playfield so I have one on ice for a rainy day in the future. This is a long term keeper for me and I expect it to see a lot of play and wear. I do worry about waiting too long and missing my chance. Spare playfield decals and such also.

#5106 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I better just wait and play yours at the TPF

I live in Frisco TX (same city as TPF.). If you’re in town for TPF you’re welcome to come play at my place if you want a home experience.

#5110 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

You just made me pull the trigger on a backup CE playfield. Get it while I can.

Yeah I’m seriously debating it. Hate to throw even more money at the same game, but nice to basically forget about playfield wear completely.

#5112 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jump on in Korndoggie, you will love it!
Zaph, why do you have a CA address if you live in Frisco?

Permanent home/gameroom in TX, crash pad for work in CA. Wife and I take turns traveling back and forth.

#5115 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmm. I'd put the ole Texas address on your Pinside profile but that's just me
GREAT job on spending so much time helping out with this pin. Lloyd is fantastic and i know he can use some help!

Heh. CA is where I am most of the time. I’m happy to help other people enjoy this great game, I’m passionate about things I really like!

#5118 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why are some of you wanting to buy a new playfield for a brand new machine? I understand production is gonna stop pretty soon. Are you guys concerned about the quality of the playfields? What’s the deal?

Just to have the ability to make it perfect one day N years from now. I’m not at all worried about wear (any more than any other pin.)

JJP offers them for sale which is the bug that got me thinking about it at all. Did not consider this previously.

#5120 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

Sidebar question: why is production stopping so soon? How many of these games were/will be made, anyway?

Only JJP knows for sure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#5122 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I guess I would do the same thing if IJ playfields were available

Basically the same reason I put paint protection film on my cars. I don’t want to stress about little bits of damage and wear, I want to enjoy it.

#5151 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

FYI on my LE same born date as yours my plunger tip was completely torn off and had to be replaced right out of the box.

I wonder what’s up with that. My first game had a torn shooter tip so I bought ten of them. My friends CE that I set up also had a torn tip.

Someone must be pulling on them really hard during install! Might be a good item to throw in an extra in the goody bag.

#5202 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would definitely call your distributor / JJP. That is unacceptable if it's not mylar lifting but rather clear coat.
Does anyone know if there's a piece of mylar around the spinning disk to prevent the edge from chipping? In the picture it looks like JJP doesn't put mylar around the exposed edge around the spinning disk.

Yes, all the machines I’ve seen have a mylar ring around the disc.

#5205 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

The Mylar doesn’t bother me, the fact that the wood is curling with the Mylar is the issue. It literally looks/feels like a speed bump. Game is 6 days old and I’ve played maybe 25 games on it.

I’d contact your distributor and go from there.

#5206 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I switched mine all to Titans. I had to up all my flipper coil settings to have the same effect on the ball.
Or am I crazy? I would have to assume it's because the titan rings are softer and don't transmit the same power to the ball when you are using the harder stock rubbers.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I usually use Super Bands, but decided to try Titans this time.

I put Titans on the 3 red flippers and 2 slings, which were all worn. I left the rest of the rubbers alone, for now.

I actually found them to play more or less the same (if not exactly the same) as the original reds, and I did not have to adjust power.

#5218 5 years ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

The issues I consistently run into is too many balls get caught in The Depths during multiballs. No matter what power I have the VUK coil set at, it can’t deal with it. It’s like a ton of balls line up in there through various avenues and all sit there because of animations playing.

Did you install the “subway fix” post?

#5221 5 years ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

I didn’t! Educate me!

Duplicated this on the potcfixes page but originaled from Pinballpal here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/50#post-4758736

Apparently JJP is now shipping with this fix so I guess it is now more or less official.

#5234 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The build date of the LE that I'm set to have delivered is 2/11. Do you guys think that's ok to go with or I should wait for a later build date? Another owner with a build date of 2/4 noticed that the subway fix was already done to his game from the factory. Just wondering if there's anything else I should wait for? I'm not even sure if I can get a later build date at this point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it much. Get the game and check it over when you get it.

#5242 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My November build had zero issues. Haven’t had to do the subway fix either. *shrug*

CLearly build date is not an absolute indicator, then.

I have been thinking of putting together an unboxing guide listing the things to check for and the preventative maintenance issues.

Checks:
- Confirm all connectors fully seated
- Confirm all switches pass in switch test (especially on the Pearl)
- Confirm full motion of the Pearl control arm without bending the mount
- Confirm Tortuga scoop is not loose. Fix and loctite if so.
- Confirm chest fork is not poking above playfield when retracted, and screws are not loose. Fix and loctite if so.

Adjustments / Preventative Tweaks:
- Adjust Pearl ramp so ball always rolls off right
- Put plastic wire loom on the Dauntless wiring
- Subway fix

I guess that’s actually pretty much it.

#5247 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

I’m happy to report that my issue is being resolved. Just had a fantastic conversation with Mr. Jersey Jack himself! He is getting me taken care of. I have to say, I am now and forever will be a loyal JJP customer. Service doesn’t get much better than that!

That is great to hear! They definitely stand behind their products and I’ve found their support to be great too.

#5252 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I will add one more item that I know has been said already .. THIS MF'ER IS HEAVY AS HELL!
I mean really even the PF weighs a ton on its own. By far the heaviest pin that has ever been in my house.

It sure as hell is. I rented a “Power Mate” stair climbing hand truck to get it upstairs. It was still an absolute whipping!

My Stern Star Wars feels so tiny and light by comparison. I can toss that thing around like crazy now.

#5263 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

I'm not sorry.

Haha, it definitely provides a disincentive to leave the collection, once firmly planted!

#5264 5 years ago

I developed a new problem - have not been able to diagnose the issue yet, as the wife won’t stop playing. . So I figured I’d ask.

The chest is capturing balls, waiting about a second, then releasing them. So balls don’t get (physically) locked.

Any suggestions, mateys?

#5266 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I developed a new problem - have not been able to diagnose the issue yet, as the wife won’t stop playing. . So I figured I’d ask.
The chest is capturing balls, waiting about a second, then releasing them. So balls don’t get (physically) locked.
Any suggestions, mateys?

Ok so I got into the menus and it identified the chest fork mech as bad.

When I went into the test I found the fork is not raising and lowering as it should. I confirmed there is not a physical problem there, I can manually move the fork up and release it by manipulating the mech. The coils are getting VERY VERY hot. Like, I’m worried this could cause a fire hot.

If I turn everything off and let it cool a while, it starts to work again when I power it back up. But it quickly starts to fail again and becomes scary hot.

I guess I’m off to file a support request and probably get one or both coils replaced? Is a failing coil a thing that happens?

Help!

5D6CAB6A-7CCD-4443-89F7-787BC345B9B0 (resized).jpeg5D6CAB6A-7CCD-4443-89F7-787BC345B9B0 (resized).jpeg
#5270 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not really.
Makes me wonder if transistor(s) are failing ? Or upstream from them not cutting power ?
LTG : )

A little additional info - I was adjusting that mech last night because the tips of the fork were coming up through the playfield when retracted.
After putting it back together I noted the fork would not retract. Upon examination I noticed a wire to the smaller coil (the one which pulls the release lever) had broken off. I soldered it back and the problem resolved.

The game was fine all day and started to fail this evening during use. When it cools down it seems to work again, then fails again when it heats up.

#5272 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Possible opto problem? Just trying to think of everything.

Opto part seems ok. It knows when the mech is up and when it's down. Good suggestion though.

#5284 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

You probably checked this already but worth mentioning. There's a small screw that positions the plunger in the coil, if it loosens up the coil cant grab it and may keep trying which would overheat the coil. Just a thought...

I think my coil issue might be self-induced. I was adjusting the fork mech to address the tips of the fork poking up too high above the playfield. Ultimately the fix for this was a washer under the lug for the lower left screw, but I did mess with other screws including the four you see in this picture.

So here is how the mech works from what I can tell.

Up: Single fire on the larger coil. A latch holds it in place.
Down: The larger coil fires again to briefly raise the fork a bit more, then the smaller coil fires to release the latch and allow the fork to fall.

What I believe happened here is that second upward coil fire - the one used when lowering the fork - was unable to execute due to the position of the coil due to the screw adjustments I made.

I have corrected the screws and it seems to do the right thing now. The coil gets a bit warm but it’s no longer getting hot, as it’s not struggling to fire longer than it should.

I also measured the coil to make sure it’s happy - it reports 4.2 ohms which I believe to be right.

It now seems to be working fine. I’m doing some burn-in gameplay now to be sure.

Again, this one appears to be my own screwup by adjusting the wrong thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6BD06ABA-2F7A-4064-8B2E-DC85BA16825F (resized).jpeg6BD06ABA-2F7A-4064-8B2E-DC85BA16825F (resized).jpeg
#5310 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Trying to dial in my game. Are you guys turning down the power on the main slings and flippers ? Both seem really strong

I leave them at default. The slings do feel pretty powerful, but on comparison with my Star Wars it’s about the same. Flippers feel good to me but I’m assuming all coils are a little bit unique.

#5323 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Could I get some recommendations for what is the best wax to use on the playfield.

I’m interested in this also. So far I’ve just used Novus 1 which is a cleaner, not really a wax. As I understand it Novus 2 and 3 and polishes which are abrasive for taking out scratches.

#5325 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Could I get some recommendations for what is the best wax to use on the playfield.

I found a pretty comprehensive guide:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#5334 5 years ago

My buddy is streaming his CE right now. Http://twitch.tv/cextion

#5337 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I tuned in just in time for him to get at worlds end wizard mode! Haha good timing. I Had to cut it short though. CE playfield looks sweet!

The whole CE cabinet is pretty dramatically awesome. I have some regret at not getting it. Love the topper, love the art (did not expect to), and LOVE the radcals.

I am upgrading my keeper machine to radcals as soon as they come back in stock.

#5343 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve yet to officially order my POTC, I had to sell a couple of pins first- selling 2 tomorrow. I’ve seen a lot of you mention issues right out of the box, and that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone regret their purchase?

Not even a tiny bit. Only regret I have is not getting the CE.

#5344 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

You will have issues, but still worth it.

We’re hearing a lot more “success stories” OOTB lately, and also indication JJP is performing more fixes at the factory.

The wind’s at our back, boys!

#5346 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

I tend to have the opinion it is not good to get the “first” of anything. Cars on a new body style/with new tech....pins...maybe wives (just kidding mine is phenomenal) etc...but when something is new it takes a little while to get the kinks worked out. I got mine (LE #61) early February from a mid January build. No real serious issues. I wanted it earlier but somehow summoned a little discipline and waited a little bit. Probably remaining fear from my Stern Star Wars LE pre order experience. lol It is well worth any issues. It’s that good. Could not be happier.

Interesting that you came to JJPOTC from SW. I did as well. I was specifically impressed by the character/mission concept that SW started and Pirates took even further. I like this as a way to mix things up and reduce repetition in pins.

I am drawn to this kind of pin as a keeper to own. Simpler more linear pins are fun, but ones I'd play on location rather than buy.

#5349 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Only honest regret is not getting a spare like I did with BM66LE. This POTC Will be special I have no doubt. I sincerely hope others get to experience it and it doesn’t become the next BBB or CC. (Granted those were mostly show). Don’t want to over sell this game but they really did an incredible job top to bottom on this and for Eric’s first solo act I Really hope JJP will keep this dream design team together on the next build sadly without DavidT.

I'm eager to see what Eric and company do next! What a great first effort.

#5357 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I too like SW and need to get a perm/LE some day to replace my pro)

I considered upgrading my SW Pro at one point - the hyperloop on the upscale models is so cool! However the pro (in my view) plays a lot better.

The ramp getting into the Death Star rejects so many shots.

#5359 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The flexibility with how Pirates can be played is so cool. Picking a character, setting up Pirate lanes and the map awards system adds a ton of strategy and depth to the gameplay experience.
If there's one thing I would like to see worked on with the code its additional choreography, light shows, etc for the games wizard modes.

I haven’t seen it yet myself but I hear that movie 5 wizard mode is kind of placeholdery at the moment, text on screen telling you what to shoot. Hoping it becomes a dramatic video experience like the other wizard modes by code complete.

#5367 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

He’s one opinion. Worth no more or less than my opinion. Or yours. So let’s move on.

Kaneda’s an entertainer (and I do find his show very entertaining.). Strong controversial opinions make for entertaining discussions.
The fact he doesn’t like the game does not change or diminish our own experiences with it in any way.

I have to admit that some of his points about approachability and discoverability are probably valid. I had a friend roll up to the pin and give his impressions without any prompting from me. It was a fascinating usability study. The game did open up for him once I hit him with my short tutorial, but I held back at first as I was genuinely curious what the “cold” read would be.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/390869283

The game makes perfect sense to me, and I feel it’s easy to understand, but I forgot that I’ve been watching JJP streams about it for months.
I knew and was excited about what the game had to offer before I ever touched one. That has an effect.

Most modern pins have a learning curve, especially ones designed with depth and longevity for home use.

He did make a good point though, that this thread has been more of a troubleshooting thread than one about playing the game.
I have two theories on this.

1. People who aren’t having problems are happily playing rather than posting.
2. People who are_ having problems want to get back to playing ASAP! (I’m in this category.)

I did cringe a bit when I heard my heated coil issue on the air (which again was my own self-induced problem, and is now fixed 100%.)

I know I play every day, and so does my wife. This hasn’t improved my skills any, but I keep working at it because it’s so damn fun.
I’ve also found that because POTC is more nudge-centric than other pins, it has improved my game on other pins. Heaving a 330lb monster back and forth makes tossing around a little bitty Stern so easy by comparison!

#5368 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not sure I agree with this at all. He's read plenty of supporting emails about POTC including my own and I think he's showing how he hasn't given up on the game but willing to give it many takes. I think he's been pretty fair on the entire subject and ultimately he might not like it which is fine.

I agree. He did give me a full episode to sing the game’s praises after all!

#5392 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Rent an escalara.

I used a similar device called a Power Mate. Either way you’re going to need help and the right tool.

#5405 5 years ago

Tonight I went to Bishop Cidercade in Dallas. They have a JJPOTC there - in fact it is the first one I played early last December that made me fall in love with the game and buy one. Ok, two.

I am sorry to report this game is now trashed.

- The chest release paddle was entirely missing. Every time you locked a ball in the chest it would roll right out, and you’d get zero credit making movie 2 progress impossible.
- The Depths VUK was jacked with super low power (or some other malady.). The balls would eject, slowly creep and drain out through the I lane.
- 2 spotlights were completely out and the one by the Pearl was pointed directly at the cabinet wall.
- Tortuga scoop was visibly loose and shook with each eject.

Aside from the spots, these are major game-breaking bugs. If I had played this game, I would have written it off out of sheer frustration.

If you’re gonna put a game on location, at least have the decency to keep it up.

I played a bunch of other stuff there tonight also. Several other games had similar major issues. A few were powered off entirely. Dialed In had a monitor sagging almost an inch on the right side. Indiana Jones had a one way drain gate that decided to go two-way. A few of the newer sterns were ok. Played a little Munsters. It doesn’t do much for me at all, but if you like the theme I’d say they did a good job.

#5419 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

How do you actually start the purple spinner multiball?
Once I see that spinner shit arrow insert flashing white/purple (and the little multiball insert) I start shooting forvtge spinner. The multiball never seems to start, and I’ve seen the purple arrow stop flashing. So confused!

It takes a good hard hit to the Devils Triangle spinner. The ball has to make it all the way up the u turn.

#5421 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Need some help guys. I’m putting my POTC back together after have removed the backbox and moved the game into one of the back rooms. There’s one connector I’m not sure where it plugged into on the motherboard behind the metal cover. I’m also not sure which USB connector plugged into which USB port at the bottom of the motherboard and don’t want to accidentally reverse them. One of them has a yellow zip tie around it. If anyone has their backbox open and would mind taking a look and posting a few pics of those specific cables, I’d greatly appreciate it. Starting to miss playing this game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t have mine open at the moment but I found this picture from the last time I did. Not sure if you can find what you need or not.

F18AC648-E6A1-4021-B625-6221FA899D49.jpegF18AC648-E6A1-4021-B625-6221FA899D49.jpeg
#5423 5 years ago

I’m really considering pinstadium - I don’t like how the spots reflect off the LCD and wash it out.

Do they turn on/off sections to simulate what the spots do when they turn off in certain areas?

I’m generally a “keep it stock” guy, but I’m considering this.

#5426 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Zaphx - That was it, all three connections are back where they belong and the game is up and running! Thank you VERY much

\ o /

Since you’re local-ish to me we ought to get together and battle sometime! cextion also.

#5429 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Had to lengthening why ships main drive arm. When cannon was loaded ship would stop rocking. So I got it working now after playing with the adjustment and did a force calibration. My question...I notes the ship will move at all different speeds during gameplay..is this normal ?

Absolutely normal, it gets faster and faster as the game progresses. Glad you were able to fix it!

#5434 5 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Before my escalera, I’d keep a pin in its box and just slide the pin down the stairs. I’d be in front and just bracing/slowing it as it slid. Worked ok. Never got smooshed.

That was my plan for sliding one UP the stairs before I wisely reconsidered and rented the powermate. . Since it looks like this hobby is going to be a thing for me, it is probably time for me to look into an Escalera.

#5442 5 years ago

So I’m on a flight back to Los Gatos and I’m bored. Let’s talk POTC gameplay, yeah?

Are you currently targeting chapters, multiballs, acheivement-based scores, or all of the above?
Who is your favorite character right now and why?
What are your favorite things about playing it?

I’ll start - I have been heavily multiball focused (trying to perfect the 666666) but I think I’ve been leaving a lot of points on the table by not working the chapters as hard as I should. I also go through the scoreboards, look for low hanging fruit on a character or task, and try to work that.

I play Pintel quite a bit right now, as he gets me to Arrr Frenzy fastest. I also like going random (hold left, hit right 5x quickly) and playing the game based on the character I end up with. Swann sucks! What a bore, his only buff/debuff is no plundering/can’t plunder.

My favorite moments are “rescuing” multiple multiballs at the last second, getting several good solid rips on the upper loop, and good hard spinner rips (especially during Arrr Frenzy).

#5445 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Does that method of random selection make the character selection relatively even per character? I have just been choosing whichever one pops up first and read what their advantage is to try to learn what to shoot for and what works best, but that always seems to pick a character at the top half of the list. I didn't get a selection at the bottom half of the list unless I selected them manually - just because they were never popped up first. Just curious as how it chooses … if you noticed any pattern.

I haven’t noticed a pattern. Gibbs does some fun callouts when you do this. “Throw caution to the wind!” “Let the fates decide!”

#5446 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Somehow you need to get a third POTC airborne for exclusive Pinball Party Flights back and forth between your two games! Boredom and POTC separation anxiety...solved!!

Speaking of flying - I’m coming back to Frisco TX in 2 weeks for Texas Pinball Festival. If you’re going, hit me up.

#5448 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Ok so I have a plunger issue that I don't think has been mentioned already and need some help on a fix.
So the auto plunger works fine and launches ball fine. However manual plunge is not making enough contact to launch the ball. Its hitting the back of the auto plunger. Basically if I stick my finger in from the top of the apron and move the auto plunger forward a small amount (1/8" maybe 1/4" inch max) then manual plunge works great.
I don't see any way to permanently move the auto plunge forward like I need to.
The ball does sit flat on both sides of the auto plunge when looking at it.

I had this. I had to loosen the screws to the manual plunger assembly and move it down so it stopped contacting the autoplunger.

#5460 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Man, wish I was! Seems there's so many good haunts for eats and gaming down there. Though I read how you felt the POTC at that one arcade was a bit ratty.... Hopefully next year, and maybe Chicago too! Is this your first time at TPF? What are you looking forward to most at the show?
Thanks for the invite Derek. You seem like a pretty stand-up dude, and your enthusiasm and helpfulness on this forum is truly appreciated!

Well, I lived in Frisco TX up until 2016, and established another house there in 2018. I’ve been to TPF a couple of times to check out the classic arcade cabinets (which was my former hobby.)

I did go last year - very briefly - with the sole purpose of checking out POTC which I had a deposit on. I wasn’t able to get much of a read on the game in the noisy environment with people waiting in line at the time. Also, I was moving my house from Los Gatos -> Frisco that weekend so it was really just popping my head in to see Pirates.

This will be my first TPF as a full bore pinball geek. I’m excited to meet personalities in the hobby, check out the new offerings, and attend the talks.

The food is most definitely excellent in Texas. I’ve lost nearly 100lbs since relocating to Los Gatos.

#5461 5 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Man after feeling like POTC has been kicking my arse solidly since I got in December and knowing the ridiculous STDM off launch or round the top orbit had to be the main culprit, I finally found a post from a little while back talking about the upper flipper position. Sure enough 5 mins to correct it and second game after, I'm up over 550K finally, for the first time. Now I can start having some real games instead of <2m . Next step the subway post fix which then finally became noticeable now that I actually can get to a few multballs finally!

I’ll add this to the troubleshooting page, thanks for pointing it out!

#5467 5 years ago

I'm really sad to hear that Cidercade has gone down hill so far. 6 months ago I went there and was so blown away by how well their machines were loved that I came home and went off on my local arcade managers for everything being broken and told them to go see what pinball love is at Cidercade. Seems I can't use that anymore....

I was similarly bummed. They were clearly keeping things up a few months ago.

I really don’t love playing games on location in general. Usually they are dirty, worn, and the environment is too loud to hear and appreciate the game.

One notable exception is The Flipper Room in Concord CA. The owner has a true passion for pinball and he keeps the games up immaculately.

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Second innings.. fork worked itself loose again.
Loctite failed this time but hoping that added lock-nuts will do the trick for the long haul.
Derek, Maybe you can add it to your allready comprehensive problem/fix list , good work![quoted image]

Good suggestion! I feel like I should recheck mine now.

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

Is this why the chest lock tends to get harder over time? I.e. the ball appears to have enough momentum to get up the forks, but doesn't?
Or do I just suck (lol)?

Most commonly yeah, the screws get loose and there is too much play in the fork which robs momentum.

#5477 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you guys think JJP could retheme pirates into toy story? I don’t think it’s far fetched especially if the license is botched. The whole FGY/Shrek concept was jacks to begin with. Plus, I think people, for the most part, would relate to picking a toy story character at game’s start vs a POTC character.
They would obviously have to redesign some of the toys. But, all the characters and rules structure could stay in place. Now I believe there is only 4 toy story movies, but there was a mini film special they did a few years back called toy story of terror; they could use that as the 5th movie filler.
I dunno; I could be way off base, but the glove could fit.

That would be really interesting! I love the layout. It would be great to see it live on.

#5490 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Looks great. I have the same to install and am dreading it as my PF clearance looks tight as well. I have held off for now as I have been "under the hood" more than I have been playing the game dealing with nagging issues. Hoping to get things ironed out soon and get back to playing and then later put the decals on once I am not under it every 5 mins.

New issues? Or known stuff?

#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is anyone else's lockdown bar lever tight AF?

You can adjust the two brass screws counterclockwise to loosen it. Note that you may drive yourself crazy with this, trying to get both sides “solid” feeling.

#5512 5 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

Just reversed my magnet connectors and now the work.Anyone see this before?

I think that’s a new report. Good job troubleshooting it!

#5528 5 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

In search of my first pin and landed at JJP POTC LE. Quick question to those with experience. The distributor I am going through adds on another $500 for delivery, setup, and one year warranty. I feel that I can handle transport and setup, but maybe you can tell me to not be so confident. If we don’t get the warranty the following occurs: we are 3 hours from the distributor and any service calls would require us to bring the pin to them if there is issue. Thoughts on whether I should pay the extra $500? Thanks in advance.

If the warranty means they will come to you to perform fixes, I’d say do it being new to pin ownership. I would get confirmation that they will do this as often as required, they will come to you, and that service calls will be handled within a reasonable time.

Ultimately you’re going to want to learn to work on things yourself, but I would say $500 is worth it for this one as your first.

#5536 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Not sure its worth the extra 500 especially since you would have pack up and take the game to them which with POTC is no easy task (hate saying that).

I thought he only had to do this IF he didn’t get the warranty?

#5537 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I purchased the full set from Cliff but so far I've only installed the ball drops (super easy). I want to install the Tortuga hole next but the metal deflector needs to be removed and the two screws are obscured by the pop-bumper skirt and I can't figure out how to remove the unit? How do you remove the spinning Jack - seems like his hands are blocking the tiny screw on top. Anyone done this?

Yes there are some excellent guides earlier in the thread about removing Tortuga Tom. Search for him.

In a nutshell you use an Allen wrench to remove Tom and then some screws to remove the spin motor. Easy from there and all done topside.

#5561 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Having an issue my ship wont rock back and forth when the cannon is loaded...so jjp had me adjust the rod going to the motor. So it worked for a day or two. I played it tonight. Soon as a loaded a ball in the cannon it stopped moving like before. Anyone have this issue ?
Also I noticed my ship is just rocking center to left. Not rocking right....normal ? After I adjusted the rod and did the calibration it was working fine a few days ago ....now its not

Check the adjustment rod again - specifically see if the peg that passes through the back of the play field is topping out or bottoming out in the slot. Adjust until it's not.

Then run the ship calibration test. Does it go left and right in there as it should? Do the optos flash green as they should?
Also check the minimum ship speed level and make sure it's not lower than the calibration test detected. I was able to use the green default level.

#5572 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

So I'm curious. It seems that when I fire the cannon, the shot goes wide of the hole on the dauntless, not above or below. Is anyone else seeing that or am I just the crapiest marksman ever?!

You only have the option to aim vertically - if it's not making the shot I'd say something is out of alignment.

#5576 5 years ago
Quoted from Lambow:

Does POTC cheat at Lier"s Dice? I have 3 fives and bid three 5's the game bids 4 fives and I call Lie, the game show its dice and has only 2 fives, then the game says YOU LOSE! I know I have been cheated other times and I have yet to win at Lier's Dice. What's up?

You’re bidding on the total number of dice between both players. With 5 fives betewen the two of you, his 4 fives bid was not a lie.

#5578 5 years ago

@imagamejunky noticed my gold button was riding up too high. On examination I found that the rim that keeps it in place was worn, and only the screw was holding it in place.

It wasn’t a game breaker, but it added extra “throw” to the button and looked kinda wrong.

Tonight I replaced it with this part from pinball life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-38-clear-pushbutton-for-stern-lockdown-bars.html

It’s a perfect drop-in replacement. It needed no sanding, no lubrication, it just worked. It feels slightly different than the old one (it has a bit of a divot in the middle) but looks the same.

#5581 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Did you add the screw from the old button, too the new push button? the one that makes contact with the switch...

Yes I did.

#5585 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

I did what everyone said not to do and put a tiny bit of wd40 on it. No problem since. Don't repeat. It was dumb and I didn't know better until reading here. Lucky it worked.

I did the same thing on my Texas machine, it worked for me also.

#5591 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

So I spent the night loading the cannon and firing it, the shots are hitting the right side of the hole and not going in. Want does everyone think? Is it the pearl that’s out of alignment of the dauntless?

Well, the Pearl sits on two pegs. If you go back in the thread, yesterday someone posted a pretty good picture showing what it looks like under there. If the pearl isn’t on one of those two pegs solidly it could be out of whack. Does it feel loose if you attempt to move it?

If it feels solid I’d suspect the dauntless. Also take a look at the cannon tray, maybe it’s an issue with that where you can loosen/aim/tighten to adjust the shot trajectory? Just spitballing here.

#5604 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't see them running it again if the rumored plans are to build Yellow Brick Road WOZ's and then move onto to Wonka and game #6.
It will be interesting to see if JJP shifts to building slightly scaled back games, in terms of physical features, to compete with Stern at a lower price point.

I hope not! I’m willing to pay more for a richer experience.

#5607 5 years ago

Agreed. JJP most definitely advanced pinball to the next level with their innovations.

#5610 5 years ago

I really do hope they tone down the multi-balls in future updates though (or at least give the option). I still haven't seen a wizard mode but end up spending 45 minutes a game continuously stacking multi-balls.

But stacking multiballs is so fun!

#5664 5 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Already did! Thanks! Game is ordered!

Congrats!! You are going to love it.

#5672 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The rumor I heard (and am spreading) is that Christopher at #KingPinGames and his brother Eric didn't want to share this amazing marvel with anyone and hoarded ALL of them into a cave in WI! Last I heard they were building a pirate fort with the boxes and created their own pirate codex to live by in hiding. Its the internet so it Must be true!!!
[quoted image]

Sounds legit.

#5676 5 years ago

Finally saw wizard 5 on @cextion’s twitch stream!

Now that I’ve seen it firsthand I don’t think it is a placeholder as I previously thought.

I won’t describe it as to not spoil it!

#5685 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

New owner report. Got my game on Wednesday - built on date of 02/07/19. Prior to owning I had about half a dozen games on it at shows. Didn't get to play a whole lot on delivery day but spent about 3 hours last night. LOVING the game so far! It is so much fun. I really enjoy the multitude of unique shots (and there is a lot), and they are all fun to hit! Definitely feel this is one of the best upper playfields ever. Some upper playfields are a drag, but this one is fun to shoot. Obviously still in the honeymoon phase, but it's feeling like a long term keeper.
So far (knock on wood) my machine has been solid and free of major issues. The ball was getting stuck in the "T" inlane, so I had to bend the metal inlane divider a bit. The ball was also getting stuck by the pop bumper and spotlight by the extra ball shot - again, just needed to bend the spotlight up. When I lock a ball in the chest, the ball is not rolling to the left of the chest without a good shake. I think I just need to trim the foam pad by the entrance a bit. These have all been extremely minor things. The only concerning thing happened on Wednesday. Both monitors went black in the middle of a game. I opened the back box and reseated the cables, and nothing. Like an idiot, I thought "Why didn't I try and reboot first?". Sure enough, a power cycle fixed the issue, and I didn't have any repeats last night playing. Hoping it was an isolated event.
Anyhow - just thought I would share my experience so far. Excited to be a part of this club!

Trim the foam pad? If it’s what I am thinking of, it should be removed from the chest entirely. Can you show us a pic?

For the monitor blackout, are you on the latest firmware? (0.98)

Enjoy the game and welcome to the club!

#5687 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

In the back of the chest, it appears there is a strip of black foam (perhaps I am wrong). I will take a pic of it tonight or tomorrow.
Yes, I am on code 0.98.
Thanks!

Kinda hard to see but this is my chest.
I’m wondering if you have shipping foam in there.

BA1A9822-6716-4CE4-A8A3-8BEA8B01BEE4 (resized).jpegBA1A9822-6716-4CE4-A8A3-8BEA8B01BEE4 (resized).jpeg
#5708 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Now if someone could figure out how to mod the trunk to open and close like JJP had originally intended!

That mod would kick ass and I would totally buy it!

Seems doable. The signal to open/close the trunk is the same one that runs the fork.

#5715 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Exactly! I think the complexity would be the solenoids to raise/lock and unlock. Unlike Houdini where the trunk only needs to remain open for a few seconds (temporarily energized coil), this would require a locking mech, and with limited space that could be tricky.

Well, the fork already has a locking mech. Any time the fork is up, chest should be open and vice versa.

So if we could somehow tie an open/close mechanism to the fork we’re golden.

#5752 5 years ago
Quoted from fastchef:

I’m having an issue with the ball not getting a full plunge. It seems to be hitting the automatic plunger when I pull the plunger. If I turn the knob a bit one way or the other it goes back to normal. Any ideas?

I had this problem myself. I was able to solve it by loosening the plunger assembly and moving it down a bit.

#5774 5 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I just wanted to say to everyone in this topic Thank You especially zaphx! I am very new to this hobby as I got into it last August with SW Premium and as of January JJP POTC CE Squidward Edition(well, that’s what I convinced my 4yr old daughter to call it ). yelobird I am looking for the right Squidward toy to replace Tom.
Although I have not had any issues that have been defined in this topic, knock on wood, but if I do I know where to go for the fix. I absolutely love this game and at my current skill level, what’s below beginner level called?, it will be a long time before I get bored.
Anyways, my buddy and I are going to TPF and was wondering if anyone from here is meeting up anywhere? Just though that could be a fun idea. Wait, did I just turn this forum into some weird internet dating thing?? Ugh, I’m terrible at this internet thing....

LordHelmet I am very happy that you’re sailing smoothly! That’s been my hope for all of us pirates on this voyage.

I am going to TPF and would love to say hi.

#5785 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

You know, the more I play this game, the more I think my rating of 9.3 is too low. There is so much replayability here - it's the ultimate home use pin. I don't know if folks who route them or put them in bars/whatever have the same thought - because this game does have a non-trivial learning curve. But for HUO... I don't think a better pin exists. If one does, I've never played it.
The upper loop shot is one of the most satisfying repeat shots ever. The upper playfield is the best upper I've played. The music has REALLY grown on me - especially the drunken sailor mix for tortuga multiball (and the echoing, faded chorus when it's ready to start is an amazing touch). The game over music... perfect. Sounds and voiceovers... flawless. Backbox animations second only to Hobbit - and the extra ball animation is epic.
The cannon... my son is always so excited to watch when it loads and I sink the Dauntless. Whoever thought that up was a genius.
Character selection is a nice touch. And plundering... looooool love it.
This is the GOAT. At least for home use, I think. JJP set the bar really high on this.

Couldn’t agree more with everything said here.

/me waves at Kaneda

#5828 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Pirates can suffer from the 'long game' fatigue. hobbit and LOTR are the same way for me

Complaints about long ball times always puzzle me. Isn’t it fun to play? Why would you want a shorter experience if you’re having fun?

#5846 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I noticed that when light fuse is lit and cannon load gate is up it will sporadically close when the load or cannon switches are hit, sometimes it closes just by triggering a flipper on the pearl.
Is this normal? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

It may be falsing due to another switch on the main playfield triggering from vibration. LTG has suggested banging on the playfield a bit in switch test to find the offending switch and fix its gap.

#5850 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Thanks, I'll take a look.
EDIT: It worked. Leaf switch on the chapter select rubber wasn't gapped wide enough. Thanks again for the quick response.

Hey that’s great! Thanks for following up. Enjoy JJPOTC matey!

#5856 5 years ago
Quoted from PinheadEDM:

I just got my potc le today. Out of the box:
1. Camera won’t initialize (I’ve reseated the cables and still doesn’t. Any ideas guys?)
2. Ship upper playfield right flipper flips but not as high as left flipper. (Not sure how to adjust flipper travel)
It plays otherwise mint. Amen

Flipper travel I can help with. Pull the playfield out to the third service position. You can get to the nuts for both Pearl flippers without removing it. Loosen the nut, aim the flipper, and tighten back.

I highly recommend you watch the LTG Flipper video and the Butch Peel flipper video first.

Both videos linked here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/92#post-4858571

As for the camera I’d check everything in the backbox, maybe a cable isn’t seated well? Maybe at the motherboard side if it looks ok at the camera end?

#5860 5 years ago
Quoted from PinheadEDM:

Thank you. I’ve done it I can feel the right nut but there’s no way I can get a small wrench in there

You’re going to want a set of nut drivers. It makes this work SO much easier.

I like these, but hardware stores sell similar sets: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-1398

Find Butch Peel’s “Tools of the Trade” video for lots of good info on pinball tools.

#5862 5 years ago
Quoted from PinheadEDM:

I just got my potc le today. Out of the box:
1. Camera won’t initialize (I’ve reseated the cables and still doesn’t. Any ideas guys?)
2. Ship upper playfield right flipper flips but not as high as left flipper. (Not sure how to adjust flipper travel)
It plays otherwise mint. Amen

By the way, one of my machines has a left upper playfield flipper that is higher than the right. I’ve been leaving it for now as it makes trapping the ball and hitting the pocket a bit easier.

#5871 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Thanks. I need to pull the ship anyway to install cliffy around map targets. I'll look for broken wires.

We had this exact issue on one machine, it was a green/brown wire.

4ADE2C82-AE86-4374-BD91-10FD3636B4A0 (resized).jpeg4ADE2C82-AE86-4374-BD91-10FD3636B4A0 (resized).jpeg
#5884 5 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

Having several chest issues:
1) intermittently, balls stay stuck in chest especially during multi ball. If I go to coil test, I can get balls to release
2) Intermittently, forks don’t go up to allow balls to lock into chest

Try adjusting the release speed. It may need to be slightly faster or slower.

Also make sure you don’t have magnetized balls.

#5897 5 years ago

I thought LEs were dried up?

#5912 5 years ago

Wow lots of LE’s today!

Congrats to all the new deck swabs!

#5921 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Here are some after pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AMAZING! I must have them! Way to go, incredible work!

#5943 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

But that's after how many plays? People post those pics but don't say if the machine is on route or how many plays. Mine has 1000 plays and looks new.

Mine has even more and is also fine. The hole has mylar around it from the factory.

#5948 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

That is by far, the best pirate I ever saw! And 'ole Tortuga Tom solved the non-centered topper issue for me as well.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You know, imagamejunky fixed his off-centered topper. And after hearing what he did I think I will take a crack at fixing mine also.

Turns out there is a nut inside the backbox you have to loosen, it’s not an “embedded” hammered-in nut like I thought. So from there it’s a simple matter of drilling a new hole (measured with a ruler this time) and correcting it.

#5953 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Your to kind thank you. We sincerely appreciate everyone’s support and more importantly feedback to create things people will enjoy. My wife and I hope to meet a few Pirates at TPF this weekend!

Hope to meet you there!

#5958 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It seems like there's been discussion about it, but I can't find it. Is there some adjustment for the trunk lock forks? I can get it in there when it's lit maybe one out of 30 tries. I even upped the flipper power a few notches, but I cannot get the balls in the trunk. One ball lock in a whole game and I'm doing good. Suggestions?

Are the fork screws loose? Fork assembly comes out with 5 screws, then the fork is held by 2. Make sure they are tight.

#5987 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Texas Pinball Festival starts today, here's hoping we hear something about new Pirates code!

Speaking as a software developer...the last thing I would do is launch new code when I’m away at a conference.

Not saying they won’t, but I would wait until afterward. Just me!

#5989 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. I don't expect them to release it until after the show but just hoping a new code revision is at the the show

Now, that’s actually a good call. Announcing it and/or beta testing at the show while they can observe would be brilliant.

#6041 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are LE’s available at the TPF? Thinking of driving up there right now but only if LE’s are still available. Thanks!

I saw a couple in the Kingpin booth but with “sold” tags on them.

#6056 5 years ago

Several TWIPYs for our favorite game tonight!

Best toys and gimmicks
Best light show
Best theme integration
Best animation

Congratulations to all the folks who worked so hard to bring Pirates into the world.

Their work brings joy to our lives!

#6084 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

So for the life of me, I can't figure out which is the right switch EOS that is stuck open! Can anyone point it out for me?

It’s a leaf switch that gets hit when the flipper is up. Follow the travel and you’ll find it.

If it’s stuck open, check that it closes properly when the flipper is up and that the wires are attached properly.

#6114 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My 7 year old daughter plays a lot, and then after she plays, she can be heard around the house randomly saying "Extra BAAAA HAA HAAAAALLLLLLL"
Blows my mind this game did not win TWIPY for best callouts. It has the best callouts of any 2018 game by a long shot. Gibbs was perfect to do the callouts for the game. How did deadpool win that? That game needed Ryan Reynolds to be doing the callouts. Without it, it's very off-putting and not enjoyable at all. The callouts were zzzzz.

I agree. Not only are the callouts excellent, they are recorded with tons of variants so they don’t sound stale.

#6115 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

You guys get a lot of airballs of the targets?
And which item is in the menu to adjust the kick out the tortuga hole? I looked but cannot seem to tell and I would like it to be slightly less to give us a shot at keeping the ball in play. Right now it tends to SDTM about 80% of the time.

Bumper VUK. Also make sure the metal guard is tight and pointed slightly left.

It should rocket the ball into the left flipper.

#6152 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Deadpool winning ANYTHING was a tragedy when IM and POTC were in the running. Pirates definitely should have won callouts with the amazing work that Gibbs did for the game... although I do wish there was a little more humor in some of his dialogue but chalk that up to bad writing.
The rest of the awards shook down pretty much as expected. When you get a game designed by one of the best pinball players of all time the rules and layout are going to be top tier.

Not to take anything away from the winners, but I also felt POTC deserved best music and rookie of the year.

#6174 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Do you have a link? You replacing all or just the lower?

I’m going to try these for all 6.

https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-translucent-star-posts-1-116-tall.html

#6191 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

For any Pirates owners thinking about selling your game, I would really think about your list price and ensure you don't leave any money on the table.
This game is sold out. Unless your game is not HUO I wouldn't drop below 9k & might even go higher. I've seen a couple below 9 sell in two seconds - not surprised bc def below market.
I'm holding onto mine right now bc it's really fun but it's also now a rare title.... Demand it's they're and will only grow considering jjps decision. At the very best, you won't see any Pirates until 3 games down the road...

I’m selling mine at 9K. Not worried about leaving money on the table as I’ve easily gotten 500 enjoyment out of it and I’m happy to see it make another pinhead happy.

#6197 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

zaphX has 2 PoTC's... one in his home in California, and the other in his other home in Texas. He has mentioned this in earlier posts.

Correct. I am only selling the dupe. The one in my permanent home is never leaving.

#6243 5 years ago

I keep trying that and it's not working. I checked my settings and it's not turned off.

Do the 5 right flips faster.

#6276 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Tech question.
I have these switch errors on the Pearl. Doesn’t look good, think I have to remove the pearl. Any first ideas?
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the classic green/brown wire under the pearl broken off to me, assuming the switches are stuck open and failing to respond in the test. If they are stuck closed I’d check the leafs for proper gap.

Ignore the two ship related ones as suggested.

#6322 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is this a tweak required on all games or does it only affect certain build dates?

I haven’t seen this needed on any of the 3 I’ve set up.

#6327 5 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

Well, I guess it’s time for my first issue. I’m naming this one Pirategate 2019. zaphx I think I went through all of your fantastic help in this thread and I can’t seem to find the right fix. I tried powering the game off then back on, which is what our tech support at work always recommends for our computers but no success there. yelobird I checked your site but I couldn’t find the right mod to take care of this. Although, that monkey was giving me some shifty eyes. You better keep an eye on him! ltg I’m assuming I’ll have to call support? Again, thank all of you and everyone one else for making this a great thread. Seriously though, how did this happen??
[quoted image]

Is that the one-way gate from the Pearl ramp, or the I lane drain? Looks like you’re in for a part replacement from the good folks at JJP. They are very responsive with these kinds of things.

#6370 5 years ago
Quoted from slavin20:

I installed legs without using the provided leg protectors. Didn’t know I was supposed to put them in between cabinet and legs. Should I take apart and reinstall with them, or not a big deal and leave it. Thanks

I would install them.

#6390 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

New build date so do you think those problems would still exist?

JJP has proven to be very responsive and attentive to issues in the forum, so it’s likely that most of the known trouble spots are sorted out.
We know (thanks to user reports) that the “subway fix” is shipping now.

If you notice any other proactive fixes on your machine I’d love to hear about it. For example I’m curious if the wires behind the Dauntless are factory-protected with wire loom now.

#6395 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Regarding the monitor sag
I would definitely go with the mod couple descriptions. Skip the wood blocks and do it right. Adjust the places where you are supposed to adjust.
Just my 2 cents.

I second that. I’ll also add, I had an initial sag and it went right away just by seating the monitor in the latches well.

#6399 5 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I bought a SE from Classic Game Rooms and it did not come with balls, cord or coinbox.
Was all that stuff in the game or in the box?
I went through the box 3 times and no parts.

I’m pretty sure the balls and cord were in the coinbox for mine.

#6402 5 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

That's what I figured. The weird thing is I called the support line and left messages 3 times over the past week or two and called Jen a couple of days ago and no help or callback whatsoever.
I own every JJP game and bought them all new, 2 from JJP and feel like a disowned stepchild.

Have you tried contacting your distributor?

#6443 5 years ago

wesman both my playfields are snug - I press forward on it at the LCD area to drop it in.

For the lockbar the brass screws are the fix - I’d reapply that foam if you kept it, myself.

#6449 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Nope that is where you hear that over and over right? This is a different sound.
Although speaking of that mode how do you enable that again? Didn't see it as a selection in the inlanes but I've had it happen in game before not sure how

You need to complete the inlanes 3x for Arrr Frenzy to be an option there.

The other random “ughh” sounds - I’ve heard them too and I figure it’s just random flavor they put on switches here and there.

#6453 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I just loosened them up quite a bit, and the left bar keeps hitting the glass. Am I supposed to jiggle anything underneath to adjust after loosening the screws?[quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa, holy crap, screw those back down! THey aren’t supposed to be raised like that. They adjust the tightness of the lockbar on each side, and if one is different you can get a bit of a wobble from the bar. It’s a little bit tweaky and requires back and forth adjustment.

When I say adjustment I mean a turn or two, not spin the screw all the way out of the rig

#6459 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Scratch that. Now the yellow bar itself won't reset enough to allow the door to close. This is......... nuts. This is way too bent to get both brackets down.

I’m guessing the brass screws are too tight which is not allowing the yellow lockbar full travel.

#6513 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Is there a mode where the spot lights are off on the Black Pearl? I played a game yesterday the the spots went off when I shot a ball on the Pearl and came back on when the ball left the Pearl.

I don’t believe so. I have found the spots to be extremely flaky. They can be tweaked or replaced, see the notes on http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes

#6517 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for that link, but annoying that's in iCloud pages. Why not just put it in a PDF? So much less hassle.

Eh, I used what was dirt-simple for me at the time. Honestly I wanted to put all this on pinwiki but they never “approved” my login to do so.
I’m moving this week and I will do something first-class with it after I get moved.

#6530 5 years ago

I promise I will clean this stuff up as soon as I get my move completed.

#6540 5 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

My black pearl speeds up, slows down and now is also stopping.
Its like it all the sudden works and then dies.
Help is appreciated

Covered in the doc http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes

#6580 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Is the disc silencer kit from mod couple still necessary on the new builds?

AFAIK the spinner design is unchanged. I would review Buffalo Pinball’s videos, they had one where they installed the silencer and you can hear it before/after to assess the impact.

#6585 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Don't think my forks are bent. Feels like the switch isn't triggering the forks, but I'll take a look again

REmove the fork mech (5 screws) and confirm the 2 screws that secure the fork are tight. The shot still requires a good solid hit, but if the fork is loose it rejects way more than it should.

#6604 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Anyone know where the Ground Loop Isolator is located?
I'm guessing this is a DVI connector, versus the HDMI from initial models, correct?
[quoted image]

The ground loop isolator is a square box along the right edge of the backbox.

Yes that’s a DVI connector, you have the best monitor!

#6678 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For the fork test you may have to press the start button, close the door to allow it to activate, etc. May also be a bug, thankfully its working during gameplay. Is the shooter tip hitting the ball in the center / middle of the ball? If not that will cause issues.

I’ll second the suggestion to close the coin door, coils are defeated when it’s open.

#6721 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Hey guys!
Finally got my CE tonight!
What a journey getting up those stairs...
I do have a weak plunger and really not the first clue how to fix/troubleshoot it.

How’d you get it up the stairs? Did you use a stair climbing lift?

As for the weak plunger, pull the plunger and let it snap - does the autoplunger fork jiggle? If so, it’s making contact and robbing your shooter power.
Adjusting the screws on the plunger mech to move it down a bit will fix it.

Also, check your shooter tip - if it’s torn that will also screw your plunges.

#6722 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Also...
I was pretty "shocked' how difficult? the topper is to get plugged in so unfortunately that has been skipped for now, but I'm looking to resolve ASAP!
Thanks again...

It’s actually really simple. There are two empty plugs in the backbox ready to plug into the topper mech.

#6737 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

zaphx I trust you are right. I tired. Would you mind providing a photo of EXACTLY where these two plugs go? I took off the back glass (after learning how) and learning that the keys for the coinbox are different for the back box (or w/e it is called) ... but I just didn't see anywhere obvious to plug these in.

I don’t have pictures, but just root around in the back box - you’ll find two connectors along the left/top-left area that are obvious matches for the ones on the topper.

#6739 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

To be clear - I have to open the back box correct? You aren't referring to the back of the ... back box?

All you have to do is remove the translite. You do not need to remove screws on the silver box inside. Follow the wiring around the left side of the box and up, and look for the two lonely molex connectors in need of a home.

#6744 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

To be clear - neither metal sides should be moving at all when plunging?

Correct. If the metal pieces move when you plunge, which they definitely did in your video, that is the source of your inconsistent plunges.

#6750 5 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Update. I got the black pearl in working condition. Still feel like it should lean to the right a bit more but its at the top of the range so as far as it goes. Next time one of you guys has the glass off if you have a digital level can you check what your degrees are for left mid and right. Thinking that maybe it was just designed to go more to the left than the right. At least its not center left left still. Worked the temporary plunger tip a bit (was pulling in one direction the littlest bit) got it even and now I can fairly consistantly hit the skill shots. Got about half the lights figured out. 2 lights were not plugged in. 1 looked like it was never plugged in at factory as I found the plug buried in the harness behind a zip tie. Other was so tight it prolly unplugged during shipping. Spinner light was plugged into wrong socket on wrong board (why it came up in test as not used). Still have a few rgb that are either missing colors or wrong color. Also still nothing on the one lightboard. took a second look at it and the green led comes up on board like it should be working but no lights. Also there is 2 sockets on the same board that say something something pop bumper and have nothing connected. Going to call dist first thing and hopefully get them to send me a new one. other than the light issues I think everything is in working order.

Based on all the machines I’ve seen, I’d say the left/right is intentional.

#6770 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

So okay..
When i boot it up, the black pearl is lit. It even tilts side to side.
I *THINK* that's a pretty good sign.
Isn't there some sort of ship calibration test that I can run or something?
If only not rocking during gameplay, then I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong when I insert or something.
Also, I found this in the back of the game on the cabinet floor:[quoted image]

It’s not uncommon to find a bonus screw now and then. Throw it in your coin box. You may find a use for it one day, you may not.

#6789 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

This is a post on Facebook from Buffalo Pinball.
Tonight on "Bro, do you even pinball?", we're doing a Bro Battle Royale on Jersey Jack's Pirates of the Caribbean! Extensive tutorial by Jay Fairbrother. 8pm Eastern. www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

What time/time zone?

#6797 5 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

It is in the post 8pm Eastern

Derp. Clearly I haven’t had my coffee yet.

#6807 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Those of you that have installed bigger clear washers under the sling posts, where did you get them?

I’m about to try some that I bought from Amazon along with star posts from PBL. Links are in the fixes doc.

#6849 5 years ago

For folks new to working on pinball machines, I highly recommend the Butch Peel “Tools of the Trade” video.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tools-of-the-pinball-trade-video

It is very worthwhile as it shows the tools you’ll want to have as well as how to use them. If you don’t own a set of nut drivers yet, you’re making things harder on yourself than needed.

#6851 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Loose wires.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great troubleshooting!

#6855 5 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I use Isopropyl alcohol and water. About 50/50 mixture in a spray bottle. Super cheap and works amazingly well.

Same, but I use distilled water. The 50/50 mix was suggested for Invisiglass cleaning.

#6914 5 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Anyone get a Constellation Award for a Door yet? Not sure what shot that it is but saw it quickly during stacked MB and had never seen it before. I think this game has got some secrets......
Was also able to get the Black Pearl MB Jackpot shot off successfully, that was awesome.

I believe the door shot is captains quarters.

#7048 5 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

What pitch angle do you have set for your POTC? I see JJP states the bubble at the second line, but I notice that the ball is still rather “floaty”. Thanks

Bubble at the second line. If you put it to the third it may roll faster but the ramps and chest become substantially harder to stick, and it spoils the game IMO.

#7050 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

When possible, can you confirm if your second line is 6.3, 7.2, or 7.5 degrees?

It may be months or years, as I don’t have a digital level . All I can say is, across 4 JJPOTC setups the second line plays great.

#7062 5 years ago

I had a big day today - built the Harbor Freight pinball lift and installed Radcals on my Pirates LE.

The install was not simple, as imagamejunky said in his writeup. But I did get it done and I am very happy with the results.

Unsorted album with pics of the cart process and the radcals.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B11GrhkPxG8hK2N

F265E449-9141-4DA6-9316-8970D6A939A4 (resized).jpegF265E449-9141-4DA6-9316-8970D6A939A4 (resized).jpeg
#7063 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Pin guy app free. If you have a smartphone, you have no excuse. :p I love the audio callout of the pin guy app too. I put it on the PF and climb under the pin and start adjusting. And it tells me where I need to raise/lower so I don't have to crawl out from under the machine.

I don’t like pinguy.

1. It must be calibrated on a known-flat surface first.
2. The iPhone accelerometers are not that accurate
3. The stupid bump that iPhones have now keeps them from lying flat anyway.

#7067 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A case solves that problem.

So does leveling the cab with a bubble level, and then I don’t have to uglify my phone.

#7068 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Actually, because if the critical nature of medical software, the NIH published a study concluding that the iPhone accelerometer was "highly accurate and precise" with tiny deviations from their control device. Of course, that does NOT mean any given SOFTWARE program is accurate at INTERPRETING and presenting the information it provides.

As a developer who has worked with the acclerometer, I can tell you it’s noisy and jittery and must be smoothed in software. That study was tracking user movement, not level accuracy.

Popular Mechanics -did- measure level accuracy:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a4175/4308358/

#7073 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

My action button on the lockdown bar has begun to stick down after just one week. Can I replace it with a stern button and is switch over easy to install?

Yes and yes. I ordered the clear stern one from pinball life and it’s perfect.

#7080 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I hear what you're saying but I don't think they will want anything to distract from their next release I think the code update will be announced just via their website and maybe a post in this thread . Just like the big Hobbit code update

I agree. I think MGC will be all about Wonka and I for one can’t wait.

I still love pirates though and eagerly await fixes. Some of the main ones I want to see:

1. Chest lock fix
2. Don’t give/announce map awards until after the animation
3. Lock in character select immediately on plunge (newbs who don’t use the action button sometimes get unexpected characters)

As a nice to have, I’d like to see the color scheme on movie 5 to be more purple and less blue. It doesn’t match the inserts and it is sometimes confusing to tell if I’m in movie 4 or 5 chapters. (Just me?)

#7089 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Actually, popular mechanics is reviewing some apps that use it there, not the actual hardware. Has anyone reviewed the actual hardware?

Having worked with the actual hardware my review is “not good enough!”

#7093 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I wish "just" bending would fix my issue. I have alignment issues on multiple parts.

I’m having an alignment issue myself with the shooter contacting the autoplunger. I tried moving the shooter down as far as it would go, but it still contacts unless I rotate it slightly right which is not acceptable to me. I will look at the hooks, perhaps a bit of padding such that the playfield lays down slightly higher will do the trick?

I’m planning to mess with it more when I get home this afternoon.

#7094 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Never trust the leveler attached to the PF.

Why? It’s a bubble in a glass tube mounted to the playfield. Gravity works, and a handheld spirit level works on the same principle.

#7118 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I *MAY* have a problem.
I was thinking that I could just rock the Dauntless to the side or w/e and it would clear this error.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to clear this error...
[quoted image]

Drop a ball into the Dauntless side hole.

Or play better.

#7199 5 years ago

A couple of maintenance items for tonight.

1. I was getting the shooter catching the autoplunger, and no attempt to move the shooter would fix it. I examined the playfield hooks and they did not appear to be bent. I ended up putting some thick weatherstripping underneath each hook, and that resolved the issue by raising the playfield enough that the shooter clears. I did have to re-level the game after this, of course.

2. To combat the chipping on the slingshot posts, I replaced all 3 posts on both slings with the star posts, and the silicone washers underneath them to keep the stars from creating new chips. This did hide the damaged areas and I am optimistic that the squishy washer will prevent more pressure damage. However, after doing this, the sling sensitivity is much lower. It only kicks when there is a very solid hit. I attribute this to the higher position of the sling rubber due to the washer. I haven’t tried to fix it yet, I will either adjust the leafs to restore the sensitivity or remove the washers.

3. I put some wire loom on the wires under the Pearl to avoid chafing and hopefully prevent balls from catching here.

4596DC7E-CD33-4146-BA35-AC517F326620 (resized).jpeg4596DC7E-CD33-4146-BA35-AC517F326620 (resized).jpeg5FA97549-9DC6-49D6-A42E-19E724DAC187 (resized).jpeg5FA97549-9DC6-49D6-A42E-19E724DAC187 (resized).jpeg7365F513-1505-4FAD-B6CB-B0E4CD69BBC9 (resized).jpeg7365F513-1505-4FAD-B6CB-B0E4CD69BBC9 (resized).jpegAD248686-25B5-4B78-B797-0A4ED755A0C0 (resized).jpegAD248686-25B5-4B78-B797-0A4ED755A0C0 (resized).jpeg
#7202 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On Item #2 I suspect the issue is the Star posts you added are a larger diameter then the straight posts JJP originally installed which moved the rubber out further which is seen in your photo from the blades.

Yeah you could be right. Wider not taller. Either way the fix is the same; adjust the leafs.
As a side note, post passing seems easier with the star posts.

#7216 5 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Might not be a problem. Mine don’t travel equally either and have read others may be similar. As long as you have good control (can you cradle with left flipper a bit) and can make the shots it should be ok. I don’t think the right flipper needs to travel as much as the left.
LTG.... thought?

Mine is the same. Maybe it’s intentional to make loading the cannon easier.

#7218 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Is the BP flipper issue really intentional?

Unknown. I noticed my BP flippers were mismatched and was going to adjust them but decided to keep it because the higher left flipper backhands the cannon shot better.

Your mileage may vary.

#7226 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I couldn’t agree more. I always get excited when I see there a 50 new posts. I’m thinking maybe the new code drop. Then I read through and find the same questions and issues repeated. I wish there was a way to not allow a post without reading the whole thread first.

I am absolutely game for moving tech support to a POTC problems and issues thread. The hope with the potcfixes doc was to centralize the info, help people find answers faster and reduce the noise in here.

#7267 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

To combat the chipping on the slingshot posts, I replaced all 3 posts on both slings with the star posts, and the silicone washers underneath them to keep the stars from creating new chips. This did hide the damaged areas and I am optimistic that the squishy washer will prevent more pressure damage. However, after doing this, the sling sensitivity is much lower. It only kicks when there is a very solid hit. I attribute this to the higher position of the sling rubber due to the washer. I haven’t tried to fix it yet, I will either adjust the leafs to restore the sensitivity or remove the washers.

I considered putting the original posts back with the washers, but I didn't like the look of the small post on the larger washer.
I went ahead and kept the star posts.

They look good and after bending the leaf holders slightly (not the switches themselves) everything is responsive now. So, I guess that is my fix.

#7272 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have you resorted to replying and answering your own posts now? Lol.

Just wanted to provide an update for future searchers/readers/fixers

#7277 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Would you guys say that the permanent fix for the shooter rod catching the auto plunger is adding weather stripping under the hooks? Really?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it’s what I tried, as they didn’t look bent to me and it worked.

#7282 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I taped off the end of the ball trough to stop balls ejecting out of it and into the cabinet. Sad fix, but effective.
Even sadder is I used clear gorilla tape to shim up a section of the shooter lane wireform. I am not sure if mine was assembled wrong, but after looking at the obvious and previously discussed fixes for the auto plunger, I ran some balls through the wireform and there is a flat support wire that clearly should be round, that was causing a ball impact and sapping substantial energy from the ball.

Can you elaborate on these fixes? I’m still struggling with intermittent autoplunge issues myself. I haven’t had any problems with the trough eject so I’m curious what was up there.

#7302 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

2) Lubricate spinners

What? Why? Don't put any lubricant in your pinball machine.

#7306 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

It's not spinning lol .. There are threads on this. The tiniest non-visible drop "should" be fine.

I wouldn't do it. I'd find out why it is binding and fix that. Maybe it's bent, catching on something etc.

#7328 5 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Is the JJP phone app that remote flips the flippers comparable with pirates?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/NarrowGargantuanBoubou.mp4

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

987 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 2 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/2?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.