(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

406 posts in this topic match your search for posts by wesman. You are on page 2 of 2.
#11692 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Looks like a standard Micro Ray to me, which is definitely used in Pirates. Can you post pics of the old and new monitor side by side? Maybe some of the parts just need to be migrated over.

Have we determined if an upgrade is possible?

I asked this months and months back, no one ever replied.

Not just a better quality monitor and refresh rate, but also bumping the resolution. I think it's either just 720p or 1080p, if that.

#11713 4 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

It’s funny you mention that, yesterday I was looking under my playfield in the maelstrom area and found two male moles connections that don’t seem to go to anything.

Theses guys????

0Qxp0Bl (resized).png0Qxp0Bl (resized).png
#11767 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I’d put neoprene and steel washers (steel washer on top of neoprene washer) under as many mini posts as you can get to. One mini post on mine did already have a steel washer but I couldn’t add neoprene under it because the steel washer seems to be stuck in the clear coat.
Also check that both the chest lock mech and cannon load door (in the mini playfield) are working correctly. Out of the box, my chest latch needed to be slightly bent to hold balls in and my cannon door also needed to be adjusted because it was only staying all the way up. The arm connecting it needed to be bent so the door could close. I didn’t even realize there was a cannon load door until several months after I got the machine and I noticed it on a stream and said “What the...?”
Also, make note of the post I’m linking below. Not necessary to do it now but once the rubber at the corner of the star map area wears out you’ll need to replace it, so while you’re there I think it’s a good idea to also put the 1/2 inch post sleeve there. That should prevent needing to replace the rubber ring again for a long time (also helped cut way down on balls going SDTM after chapter starts).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/227#post-5094603
I’d also consider the POTC pirate ship protector from Pinball life. I’ve had three switch wires under the Pearl break and need re-soldering due to bounce backs off the Dauntless. It also prevents balls from getting stuck under the Pearl. I put it in and I like having it there. Here’s a link:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=POTCCS_UK
It’s a great game to play though!!! Welcome aboard!

Hmm.

So one of these fatties?

https://www.pinballlife.com/12-sternsegadata-east-black-rubber-post-sleeve.html

Any other place these would help?

#11780 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, I got mine from Marco but it's the same thing. 1/2 inch high and 3/8 inch inner diameter. When I ordered I thought about whether or not it might make sense anywhere else but nothing jumped out at me. It would fit on the opposite post for the star map opening but that rubber was still in really good shape. I don't think it takes near as many direct hits like the left side does.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Yep, leave the right post alone. You only make the star map harder to hit.
Basically, the left post is the unofficial bash toy of pirates. Right in the centre and easy to hit. Many shots going for the star map would brush past the plastic post on the left and take a piece of the rubber sling with it. Added to that, that the ball would rest against it during chapter select and then wedge, it’s only a matter of time for that sling to go.
The right one does not get hit head on, and the gap between centre post and right post is narrower so ball does not get wedged there.
Adding the 3/8” post rubber (and dremmelling the sling post groove slightly) means that the sling rubber now is protected. Ball contact is now with the post rubber and not the sling.
However! Like anything there is a trade off. Before the ball would brush past the post or ricochet inside the star map. Not with the new post rubber. Even though we are talking 1-2 mm narrower compared to the sling and post, the substance has changed. Any brushing past rubber post sleeve will now result in the ball bouncing back down the playfield. So my star map shots need to now be more accurate than before. So don’t do the right post, unless you want to make the shot harder.

So....is this the fatty you guys both used?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-5151

#11782 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Those are them. But get a titan, rubber is lame.

Oh, good point! Thanks HH!

Are any double star posts necessary past the two lower slings? I'd like to make one final parts order for this game, and still am not quite sure if I need more double stars past the lower slings...

#11784 4 years ago

I didn't put them anywhere else. I think some put them in the starmap area. I guess maybe under the BP ramp since that is a sling too, but I've never had it escape.

Okay, cool! Yeah, I figured I'd just use the existing thin posts, with smaller diameter neoprene under all of the remaining ones on the game. I think....I'll be covered, so to speak, then.

Okay....so these fatties?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-5151

Screenshot_20190815-002954_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190815-002954_Chrome (resized).jpg
#11789 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Don’t do it. You’ll regret it. Rubber or superbands.

Hmm.

https://www.pinballlife.com/super-bands-colored-polyurethane-rubber-rings.html

I can't find the fatties....

Thanks everyone for the advice. Longevity is what I'm hoping most for.

#11797 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I put on neoprene washers on Day 1, the same day I unboxed my game. The clear around my sling posts was perfect - no damage because the game hadn't been played.
Six weeks later, I can now see rippling has formed in the clear at the base of the sling posts.
It looks like neoprene washers are no better than the JJP nylon washers.
Has anyone else noticed rippling with neoprene?

Weird...

Do you know offhand your manufacturing date?

3 weeks later
#12066 4 years ago

I'm going to post this comment in each thread I've posted about regarding POTC or JJP playfield issues. (Coming up as a double post error.)

I feel like anytime a company or individual is criticized for a lack of quality within their output, they should be equally commended when that output is adjusted.

I received an email from Jack before I headed out for work midday Thursday. I work second shift, and Friday had a voicemail left by him when I awoke, and called him back immediately.

Jack seemed earnest, gracious, and humbled in his offer of a new playfield to correct my issues with my POTC playfield tear and rippling. For me, this is the best I could hope for. I don't expect a fully populated playfield swap, or an outright machine exchange. What I am receiving is acknowledgment openly of the issues that have occured within this game, and done so by the company face of said product.

I respect this move. And it gives me greater confidence towards JJP then I had two months ago.

Jack as well, seemed confident these issues are being course corrected moving forward, and his overall tone was upbeat, wishing to make amends, and continue and improve customer relations. In my mind, for me and my situation, that has occurred.

That said, if it weren't for every single person being vocal on this issue, on this forum or via podcasts, whether supporting or accepting these issues, this outcome might not be happening. So I am thankful to all of you, as well as Jack and JJP, for helping make this lovely game "whole" again once more.

I also hope everyone affected by this issue is made whole again as well.

#12102 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m having an annoying issue. I keep having balls get lost when get go behind the BP via skill shot, port royal or any soft soft around the loop. Game goes into search mode and eventually the ball is released into the BP (VUK) and to the playfield. I did notice the VUK has a hard time pushing the ball up into the BP. The ball makes it to the BP when the VUK fires and the BP is tilted to the left. I’m pretty sure this is what I saw. The VUK tries for a few times and then stops. Thinking the BP may be too far back or something? My daughter played a game and she hit the port royal lane. Ball got lost for a good long while. Anybody know what it’s going on here?
Also, is it normal for this wireform to be slanted like this? Thanks![quoted image]

Mine is a bit wonky too, most likely from removing the Pearl ramp, and not finding the sweet spot once reassembled.

#12106 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are you also getting lost balls back there?

No. I did get some stuck on the diverter on the left side of the ramp. I tried the lil plastic furniture nubby on top of the screw trick via ZaphX.

#12118 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I have it installed. It sits under the two nuts that hold down the plastic over the star map. I was able to get a small wrench in there to raise the nuts off. The narrow protective plastic above the nuts is held by a flexible rubber piece so I was able to lift and twist it enough to get at the nuts and slide the new Pearl protector on without removing that top plastic. I recommend trying (without forcing it too much so you don’t break the rubber connector) to do it that way first because I found one time that I wasn’t able to get the flexible rubber pieces for the top plastic back through it without removing the rubber connector from the star map because it was just too flexible, and then you might be down a path of removing the Black Pearl just to get that rubber connector piece back on. You should be able to do the install without disconnecting the top plastic protector though. Here are a couple pictures where I circled the nuts that have to be removed. Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image]

That back nut is a real bastard.

I installed it initially, was fine. I had to take the Pearl off again, and all of a sudden the shield was tapping the Pearl when rocking......

#12138 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I guess i didn’t ask the question properly.
It isn’t so much that I worry about the ball being scratched up but one burr in a ball can tear the living shit out of a PF.
Any concerns with that?
I replace mine every 500 plays as well but you just don’t when a burr will show up?
I think it’s equally as bad as the t-nut to be honest and at peast on mine the washer has a sharper edge than the t-nut at map hole.

There was that issue with the large washer at the shooter rail guard also.

#12165 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Next time I get the ship out ...
Thank you

Removing the tnut via the subway isn't really that difficult, and you can address it directly. Took maybe 90 minutes total for me.

#12168 4 years ago

There's no buying a manual, as far as I know.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC_Manual%202_0%20November%202018.pdf
Maybe we could do a group buy on getting them printed and bound? Anyone else want one?

Crazy expensive to print, believe it or not.... Especially in color.

#12172 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Low quantity (100? Less?), color, with media mail shipping? Probably $50 or more for almost 400 page hardcover manual that would be better than the color copies Fedex office, etc crank out. Books are relatively cheap if you can print in large quantities. The setup is the expensive part. Once you're running the book itself is the cheap part.
If you could get like 300-400 on board, it could be do-able in high quality, but it'd be hard to get that many together.

I remember looking into this months ago, and Staples was the cheapest at I think $57 for black and white. Color is crazy pricey.

#12222 4 years ago

Could someone do me a favor and take a pic straight down at the gap between your BP and the ramp?

I can't right now, but I know my gap isn't entirely symmetrical.

#12225 4 years ago

Heh, well, lucky you!

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. I think it's related to the ramp screws to the playfield. I just don't remember what mine looked like before, months ago, when I had it all together.

Here's mine, day one.

Screenshot_20190915-222121_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190915-222121_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190915-222132_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190915-222132_Photos (resized).jpg
#12253 4 years ago

REALLY? Arg... I don't think I can convince my wife to replace our 2nd WOZ which is an RR with a new RR. Damnit, would have loved that option.

Why would you want to replace an older RR with a newer one?

#12266 4 years ago

I really just wanted a new ECLE. I didn't know about the "green" edition, but I also wanted the toys of the RR. I bought a used SE when I found out about the game (I was only playing and collecting old BW games basically) when I couldn't find anything else local. I ended up shipping a RR to me which had the gouvea mods (hard to come by) mostly for that reason but I would have loved a new one. Never have had a new game. I don't know if I even knew about YBR at that time, but I probably wouldn't have done it. Gotta have the monkey! Basically my story with POTC, when I finally figured out about the game, found somewhere to play it and looked for one it was just when everyone was posting they were sold out, at least LE were. I was going to end up with SE shipped to me but found the LE for sale locally and jumped on it.
I was the in line for Wonka new and cancelled when the whole playfield thing started.
Did JJP offer new playfields to Wonka owners too? Anyone here get a credit for the discounted ones they purchased yet for POTC? In the other thread people were saying Jack called them and said they would get a credit. I didn't get a call or a credit, wondering what is going on there.

At the very least, you're definitely better off for not buying the YBR. Maybe your wife will agree to a swap.

Or.....maybe wait 6 months or so, and see what Eric has put together. An even better plan, I'd say!

I haven't heard much regarding the playfields or refunds either.

#12349 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think it's time. #WheresTheCode?

I don't intend to be cynical. Or even critical of JJP here.

But I'd imagine if no games exist to be sold, further development of code, at least in a really revolutionary way, won't happen. I'm guessing we'll be fortunate to get the final wizard mode/s at some point.

Dialed In and Hobbit had big updates, and games still to sell NIB. Pirates most likely never will, I'm assuming.

Ghostbusters by Stern, was promised for years for that update, and I'm guessing it's not entirely out of production either.

Just doesn't make sense to have a push for Pirates code, past maybe cleanup.

I hope I'm incorrect, obviously, but those Hobbit revisions existed for a reason.

1 month later
#12775 4 years ago

Posting this in a few topics, feel free to share.

I was concerned about Cliffy, due to his relative proximity to the current California fires and power outages, and he replied as such.

"I’m sorry but nothing going out right now as power has been cut, no internet, no way to print shipping labels. We are smothered in smoke and surrounded by fires and non-stop 50mph winds. Please let everyone know cliffys is down right now and could be a few more days without power
Sincerest apologies."

1 week later
#12904 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Just watch this video starting at the 18 minute mark. This is the best example I've ever seen recorded of all the play insanity of POTC. Being able to set "plundering" to cut-throat is brilliant. And once you understanding what that is, you'll understand why it's the best pin ever made.

This video literally got me to buy this game!!

2 weeks later
#13035 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Why do you want to put a sleeve on that post? The ball occasionally settles there and has more of chance of going down the middle but that’s part of the design.

From what I know, it wears the sling rubber down, due to it resting there so frequently. I think so anyway....

1 week later
#13127 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, my LE finally arrived after almost 2 months of waiting.
Few issues I need help with
1. Some rod that looks like it is part of the ship mechanism behind the back of the Playfield is disconnected.
2. A thumb screw was sitting in the bottom of the cabinet. Not sure where it goes.
3. Couple bracket looking things loose in the coin box. Not sure what to do with them.
4. Funny enough I’m having a hard time getting the Playfield to slide back. Something seems to be in the way. Silly I know but any words of wisdom?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yup. Definitely remove that foam block!

#13131 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

.....just jinxed it right there

Firing a weapon at it, surely won't help it out either!!!

3 weeks later
#13351 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

In my midnight cookie haze I was thinking how people always compare Stern to JJP when it comes to updates. The arguement is it sometimes takes stern a while to update code and even sometimes it takes a while before people think the code is "acceptable". I am going to argue that Stern comes out 4-5 machines a year and while it does take a while sometimes they literallly are doing 5x (prolly more) the work and still manage to get updates out for their machines. Wasnt jjp supposed to have 2 machines release this year? I kinda remember ther being an arguement about how they were doing 2 machines this year and thats why code updates were coming slow. Where is this second machine that "delay" finishing up potc code. Next someone will argue the Keith had a heart attack. Well he looked pretty good at the expo a couple months ago and I have known people that have had heart attacks and been fine a week later (not saying this is his situation). Wonka has had 19 updates this year from "first code" to current in 9 months. Potc has had 5 in 18 months. If you look at release dates and the amount of changes you can tell that the coding can be done in a timely manner if they would put ANY effort into finishing it up. Must be nice to work for a "good ole boys" company where you get paid to sit on your ass and do nothing. Pretty sure I will never buy another jjp machine due to horrible customer service. I have a 10k half finished machine. Yes I said half finished as if your able to get though 25 chapters there is nothing to do in the game (if I remember right you lose alot of the callouts at this point also).

I understand and agree with a good bit of this frustration, for sure, but maybe wording things with a bit of empathy, would make your message feel a bit smoother, more considerate along with concerned.

#13470 4 years ago

I just never understand the clamor of where people see demand to bring this game back. How many committed sales could exist, and with those sales, how much profit would occur, and yes....now with having more backlash from prior owners with possibly lesser than games.

All of this talk of demand, and I highly doubt 100 would be paid for in full, for some sort of cue. The demand comes from like 20 pinsiders constantly raking coals for this game to be resurrected.

Aren't there still Dialed-In's a plenty to be found NIB? As of a year ago, same for the Hobbit. JJP needs to sell existing games, while pushing forward on new ones, not rally some tiny profit from the demand of a few fervent diehards.

That, and I'd imagine parts of at least 200 would need to be placed on order. These were custom games, not what Scott Danesi was just mentioning on Slapsave, with off the shelf parts.

#13476 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am fairly confident this game will not see a production again but it is More then obvious IF there was an option or run this would sell. Any title (like this one) with want adds 20-1 over for sale adds HAS a market interest. Any title selling a year past production for a Profit HAS a market interest. Any left in the world are being shipped and sold at Crazy markup because there Is an obvious interest. Not a JJP fanboy but let’s be honest this would more then likely be the Last game most of us would part with. Just an opinion.

I'm not saying there's not interest, but a market, of desire for 200 or more games? I doubt that. We're all the same people, give or take, in this thread the last year or so, fluffing the game up, over and over again.

Profit margin supposedly so small. Licensing issues from hell. Johnny Depp's career deleted due to wacky partner shit. Massive playfield blowback from customers. Possible pain on the line for workers. Saga of the game being culled back a bit feature wise.

So why on earth would Jack, and investors, want to dip back into that madness? For a small profit on each machine, for a run how large?

Hobbit kept being produced due to parts excess. This isn't the case here. WoZ keeps getting produced because it's a rare modern evergreen title that's highly accessible and well loved, IP wise.

I'd love POTC to get more recognition. Hands down my favorite game from the past two release years. But us adoring this game, Eric, Keith, J.P., David Thiel, and everyone's hard work, won't resurrect this.....

Plus, GnR.

Quoted from f3honda4me:

I wish I still had mine. If they made more I'd buy one NIB in a heartbeat.

Why'd you sell yours? That was this past summer, if I remember correctly.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, a 25% appreciation in price on USED machines over NIB retail in just the FIRST year of the machine's existence in is very telling of demand. It's nowhere close to being met, and if Jack put a couple on tour of the pinball shows in 2020 he could easily have orders for 1000 more to start.

I dunno man. This game had a 1000 game run to begin with, and it took hype from this thread, and the month after month rumor for it to sell out, months into summer.

I can't even fathom this selling another 1000 games. It certainly deserves to.

A markup for a few games bought, by overzealous FOMO induced fans, doesn't equate to 1000 immediate sales.

#13485 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was mostly sold out, except for a few stragglers sometime in May. And the biggest problem was that literally most people hadn't even been able to play it, so all they had was internet trolling to go off of.
Right around the time it was sold out is when the awareness was finally picking up as more people were able to physically play it. The slow burn wasn't because it was a bad game, but because people just hadn't been exposed to it.
But maybe you're right. I doubt it, but it's possible. Jack has nothing to lose by putting 2 or 3 on tour to give even more people a chance to play it in person and seeing whose theory is right, and whose theory is dead.

Quoted from zaphX:

Exactly this.

I'm at the point where I feel JJP maybe needs to focus more on sustainability and profit, then pipe dreams. Dialed In didn't sell like it deserved to, neither did POTC, and Hobbit took eons to sell remaining stock.

Frank isn't with the company anymore, and hasn't seem to have been replaced.

I'd rather see an upswing, than another nail. POTC is a whole buncha old rotten nails, at this point. Amazing game or not.

#13517 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Is there any guess on how many playfields were affected by the clear issue? I've found a good deal on an LE regionally but have to drive, so it would be helpful to know what manufacturing dates were affected.

I figure most of them, to some degree or another.

You owned this before, correct?

I'd say just buy if you want the game, the playfield issues kinda need to be very, very secondary to you at this point, picking up a HUO.

#13523 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Fellow pirates!
A Wonka Candy Kode (411411) has revealed the existence of a hidden 23rd POTC character![quoted image]

That would be pretty crazy if....

"Git yer hands off me Gobstoppers...YARRR!!"

(Sorry for the quick phone editing!)

Polish_20200104_203809175 (resized).pngPolish_20200104_203809175 (resized).png
#13525 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Maybe it's Sao Feng? I always thought it was weird he wasn't in it when they included very minor characters like Cotton and Scrum.

I remember someone mentioning maybe a license issue to get Chow Yun-Fat? I think even just for those photos, they had to pay each actor.

Personally, I hope it's....

Polish_20200104_212801836 (resized).jpgPolish_20200104_212801836 (resized).jpg

OR!!! Hogbog

Polish_20200104_212931904 (resized).jpgPolish_20200104_212931904 (resized).jpg

#13533 4 years ago

Also....!

Polish_20200104_224709216 (resized).jpgPolish_20200104_224709216 (resized).jpg
#13547 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Well guys .. zaphx gnarlee
Looks pretty evident.
No where near centered...
[quoted image]

Can you take another photo? This doesn't look centered, image wise. Nor does anything else though.

#13605 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I hated that about the game when I had mine. The fix I found was to lower the power of the vuk as low as it would possibly go. I agree, when that would happen I would shut the machine off and walk away. I had no cliffy in mine and it was happening. Another thing you could try is loosening the inlanes and messing with the geometry slightly before tightening again

I was going to say that too. Could lowering the VUK power correct this?

#13658 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The point is that in that year the sales were not slow and spotty all year, sputtering along. The interest level for the general pin community was around 3/10, maybe 4/10 for most of that year, which made sales VERY SLOW. However, interest accelerated to 8/10 or more the last 3 months or so before NIB supply mostly dried up, and then was cut off abruptly while there was substantial, still increasing interest in buying one by an ever-expanding group as awareness of the machine's actual real-world awesomeness grew.
So saying it took a year to move 1000 is misleading, because rather than sputtering all year and then tapering off to a halt, interest and demand was catching fire at the very end as more people were exposed to the actual machine, but AFTER JJP had already scheduled the end of manufacturing. The crazy pricing we're seeing now is just the afterburn of that demand that's still there, with most late-arriving hopefuls now priced out of ever having one. There's EASILY YBR level sales left to pick up, but probably more like 2x-3x YBR sales, or more.

I saw one on route here as early as August last year, and another probably September, October. I'd imagine there are far more home owners than routed one's, so these were obviously being shipped and out in the world, not hidden in some cave in the middle east never to be discovered.

Stern devours so much of the market, and JJP has production issues to get up to full speed at times. I see those two as more at hand than even indifference towards the game.

If people wanted to play this game, it was out there, not hidden. Wonka had similar initial backlash too. JJP games arrive with insanely robust code and features, get torn apart for what users don't see. Stern ships barebone code, still sells shit tons.

This is the markets fault, not ours or jjp's. Stern loyalists exist, and are detrimental possibly in not just spreading bad word of mouth on JJP games, but also worse yet, never being willing to buy them.

#13660 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In fact - here's a crazy idea - if you don't like a game maybe consider not shitting on it at all? Just don't buy it and STFU.

That's a bit extreme.

Honestly, like I said above, I feel the shitposts come from people that would never consider buying JJP, most of all. That kind of mindset feels so determined, spiteful, vindictive. I wish people that never intended to buy, would not chase a game down, thread to thread, trying to kill it.

But people do need to have rational critical responses. Rarely in life do people surmise those thoughts, then leave them be. It's always got to be a battle of will attrition. My view is better than yours, more write, so I'll post again till you understand that. That's my biggest issue with pinside, not criticism, but ego dominance.

A game I thought got blasted ridiculously last year was Black Knight. That game got hounded. It's simple, basic, yet competent and fun. For as indifferent as I am regarding Stern games, man that got shit on. Munsters had, sadly, good reasons to get blasted....

Oktobefest, man that was another case of getting shelled by posters, podcasts, etc. Game never had a chance, and is as mechanically robust as any other release last year, maybe even more than Wonka.

POTC at least had loyal fans and owners fight for it. It eventually had incredible word of mouth. And the existing stock sold through fairly quickly, tough mech and playfield issues aside.

This game dying, has to be more a matter of BOM, and JJP wanting to take steps forward, rather than back. I doubt, but hope, that Eric's next game will be as robust feature wise as Pirates. Doubt it though....as Wonka clearly was a step back.

Pirates. Too pricey for it's own good. Too good to not have 2000 units out there....

#13676 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So confused by your post. You state zaphX statement is "a bit extreme" then you basically reiterate Exactly what he said? lol Just with lots more words. And furthermore in my opinion Munsters and Octoberfest were not pushed aside because they were as you say "mechanically robust", they were simply Bad Games! I bought and sold both as did Many and felt almost robbed at the loss of time and money. But thats how I felt. As I do agree with zaphX I didn't however make it my life mission to crap on the game for others I simply moved on.

I stated Munsters had good reasons to get blasted. Incredible art. Code that didn't relate to the game at all, features that were bate bare mechanically, and man I've seen some fogged up lower playfields.... Eek.

I mean, regarding zaphX contrary to what he says. As in, let people express negative viewpoints, that's fine, more than fine, but dedicated sandbagging on multiple threads, isn't. It's one thing to be vehement about how you feel about a game, it's another to actively picket it on multiple threads, over and over again. But...if you feel a game is crap, we shouldn't be thankful it was simply produced....which is what I feel he was implying, we should critically express viewpoints, leave it at that, and not buy the game.

On the subject of POTC, it was never crap, and never under value, for what the price was, it was simply a victim of production issues, and again, most likely a distancing of licensing....due to the shitbagging, (from what sounds unfair to me) of Johnny Depp. He was a hot ticket, then cancer due to #metoo. That and high BOM, = dead POTC production.

Yanno, you and zaphX, have like 1/250 Pirates currently. Talk about a Pirate's Booty!

Side note, Oktoberfest isn't a bad game. It's just peculiar, theme unfriendly, and suffered from a controversy involving the monkey backglass, long timeframe for release, and then initial shitty animations. I'd rank it up there top 3 releases with JP2, Wonka, and itself. That said, last year wasn't a stellar year, compared to the prior year.

#13678 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

At the moment I’m sitting on 0.2% of the POTC supply.

I was meaning to ask, are you keeping both?

If so....

images (9) (resized).jpegimages (9) (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#13704 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Could it be what? I'm guessing nothing related to POTC.

Ideally Eric's next game.

#13711 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

TWIP just used sales data from Pinside, so the scope is limited, and due to the number of people that list on pinside and sell elsewhere or sell and say they didn't (which counts as "not sold") the actual sales are likely much more than reported.
CE wasn't tracked on their chart, but I know of two CEs that changed hands off pinside at more than $20k around the turn of the year, so yeah, expensive and getting moreso daily.

$20K???? Were they NIB?

#13756 4 years ago

Haven't posted regarding my game for a good while.

I started following the POTC thread way back in fall 2018. I read about the fixes, made sure to know what I was getting into, then decided to jump in and purchase around February 2019.

I got my game in March, waited for my Cliffys to arrive, then started to read about playfield issues.

Over the course of the past year, I've waited to gather as many protective parts, Cliffys, starposts, mylar rings, etc, and finally went in last night to finish up with mods, protective star posts, and the updated Cliffys.

I have only 100 games played on my POTC.

Last night upon first inspection, I found dimples scattered around the lower third of the game, the kind I expected on a routed game, with 1000's of games played on it monthly.

When taking apart the sling under the Pearl, a giant ring was under the star post, two other smaller ones under the regular posts. Later I found large ripples under the washer for the guiderail, then even an indentation under the metal rail right next to the Pearl VUK.

I know this isn't new info, I prior replaced the sling posts, seeing rippling there, as well as had a tear near the shooter lane. But I guess for me, I felt I staved playing my game, for nearly a year now, and felt I was doing so to prolong my game for decades to come.

Last night felt pretty heart breaking frankly, to realize nothing I can do to protect my favorite game of the last three decades, will help alter the complete state of fuckdom that this playfield has placed this entire game into.

It's just disheartening, disgusting, and saddening. And it all comes back to this cursed playfield, that all of us Pirates owners have to deal with.

Nothing much else to do at this point. This entire time I could have been playing daily. Instead I chose to find as many bandaids as possible, to place on a gaping wound, across an entire bleeding body.

This fucking sucks.

20200121_181531 (resized).jpg20200121_181531 (resized).jpg20200121_201216 (resized).jpg20200121_201216 (resized).jpg20200121_211640 (resized).jpg20200121_211640 (resized).jpg
#13760 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Did you contact JJP to get your "free" play field

Back in June, after my tear. No updates on that front.

I think last night I came to realization, no matter what I do, this entire game, wherever anything was basically screwed, bolted, nutted down, there will be damage. Just feels like it's a wreck, no matter what I've tried. I hate a late run game too, end of January.

I honestly have to think most games are akin to my example. That when you start looking under rocks, there'll be worms to find. Ooey, gooey, mushy ones at that.

For basically a brand new game, this feels tarnished.

#13797 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Read the Yelobird thread on repairing clear coat pooling. A number if not most POTC playfields are no different than yours when posts/guides are removed and looked at closely. You can fix it up to look fine and prevent further damage by “ironing” down the pooling and applying Mylar.

Did you try this method? Thanks much for bringing that thread and suggestion up!

Quoted from Yelobird:

Not saying it’s right that anyone should Have to do this repair but having done close to 40 Playfields now from various brands I have yet to have a single person come back to say the solution didn’t work or came back. Just did a Wonka last week took less then 15 minutes and the damage was completely gone. Solution fits under the sucks to Have to do it but it sucks worse to simply be bothered by it forever and watch your game get worse. But that’s just me.

I read the full four pages of that thread, thank you so much for all your input there, by the way!

So things seem pretty solid for this method, even months down the road?

I did place mylar over the sling areas, under the posts. Is there an easy way to remove that, to try this technique under those posts? (Along with several others I didn't mylar.) I know in the past I've seen people use an aerosol type of freezing spray.

#13812 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Yes, I did it on numerous posts and under some guides across the playfield and it came out nearly perfect. It’s surprisingly easy and effective. The clear readily softens and flattens down. From my experience and everything else I’ve read, it also further cures the clear preventing the pooling from returning. Not sure installing mylar over the repaired areas is necessary (unless there is already chipping) but can't hurt. If you don’t address the pooling, it will eventually crack and chip.

Aw man, thanks for that bit of news on your end! After finding all of this stuff, new post issues I wasn't aware of, this is really reassuring to read! Made my night, as well as last night with you and Yelobird, and zaphX also!

Quoted from jeffro01:

Personally, and I totally want to stress this is MY opinion and you're absolutely more than welcome to disagree, I think you're way overreacting... You can't see any of the spots you're calling out while playing the game so I just don't see what the issue is. It's not affecting gameplay either. You're allowing it to balloon into something way more than it is and you just need to relax a bit. I know I'm going to take some heat for saying that but... Yeah...
Jeff

It's cool Jeff. We all have differing opinions, values, whatever. For me it's most disturbing as when I started to get back into pinball a few years back, JJP was by far the biggest eye opener to what could be done in modern pinball. June 2018, I went to the JJP plant, played POTC there as a prototype, and only dreamed of owning a game. So for me, seeing defects immediately occur, when I tried to prevent them years beyond them occurring, and the game being fully paid off, is pretty heart breaking.

I also don't have a huge friend circle, no wife, kids, etc, and my work is pretty mundane stuff, so pinball is presently my most involved form of daily escapism. For those reasons, this is a larger issue for me, than if it were just something in the background, tucked away in my basement.

Everyone is different.

#13823 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I just noticed something on my machine. The washer under the flasher by the shooter lane has what looks like an intentional deletion of a wedge on it. It seems like that style washer might have been a good idea under the ball guide by the shooter lane. I’m wondering if that’s what was intended but they got reversed in assembly. It doesn’t seem like there would be a need for that style on the flasher post, but definitely a need for it to keep the shooter wire clear. Here are pics of the two washers. I might try swapping their spots.[quoted image][quoted image]

Be careful of that shooter lane washer. Mine didn't have one, and when I pulled it up to place a washer, that's where it tore. So there's a good chance the washer itself, from the rail pressure, might have sunk in a bit into the playfield.

#13839 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

We still need an undead monkey.
LTG : )

And then an undead monkey....video!

Quoted from PinMonk:

First world problems.

First world afterlife problems.

#13885 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I bet the new owner of your machine that no longer has a warranty would appreciate it.

Yeah, definitely their decision to make, but assuming the buyer didn't get this game super cheap, it would be a nice gesture, for the person that inherited the potential issues via purchase.

Either way, your choice, and good luck with the sale/donation!

#13908 4 years ago

Got a shipping notice also, for my Pirates LE Playfield this afternoon!

I hope everyone affected with Pirates and Wonka playfield issues gets a playfield to try and correct matters. I'm going to write Jack a letter upon receiving mine, and let him know I appreciate the gesture, as well as Mike at Automated.

Big thanks to @HarryHoudini, and every person that posted photos, made calls, discussed on podcasts, and never let this issue go away.

Hopefully from now on, playfields get better treatment and scrutiny before they get used in games.

Good luck all!

#13935 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP should skip waiting until the show and announce Guns N Roses ASAP to take advantage of the lull with Stranger Things bombing and Iron Man vault having close to zero demand. I assume they're making machines already since it was so delayed and they could beat TMNT to the punch by months.

I'd agree, but I'd wait till Rick and Morty is shown, gameplay wise.

Even if that game has sold through, JJP needs the spotlight entirely for this next game.

#13938 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I agree, and I think Jack knows this now.

Well, he was within a 60 day window last time. Close...!

#13964 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

NICE! Still looking forward to getting my first game played, lol.
Does anyone have a link to how the Cliffy set gets installed? I have my pearl off and ready to get these in but can't seem to find any info

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/65#post-4814032

#13980 4 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

I have an "issue" and I'm wondering if this is the norm for JJP games. When I remove the lockbar.....once removed, the glass will very easily fall away from the cabinet.
On other machines, after removing the lockbar, the glass may slide a few inches or so. Then I need to slide the rest out myself. On my POTC, if I'm not there to "catch" the glass, it would fall right out by itself. Is that normal or not?

Mine is the opposite. Super tight, like LTG mentioned. Have to get my fingers sweaty/wet just to slide it down.

#13981 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I did place mylar over the sling areas, under the posts. Is there an easy way to remove that, to try this technique under those posts? (Along with several others I didn't mylar.) I know in the past I've seen people use an aerosol type of freezing spray.

Posted this a week or so ago. Anyone have any tips?

I'm reading that a hair dryer is good, regarding using heat to remove mylar.

#13985 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

1) why do you want to remove it?
2) always wax immediately before you place Mylar - Makes it a snap to remove.
There’s about equal footing between the heat and the freeze people. I have no empirical evidence for this but it seems to me that The freeze method is less damaging to the art and clearcoat.

Because I noticed on the slings, it seems like they're bubbling around the star posts I put down....even after I put mylar circles down. Crazy....

So I thought I could lift those, and then use my mew new pinball iron to press them down permanently.

What kind of freezy method do people use?

#13988 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Honestly if you search Mylar removal you will have Thousands of posts on how to. Personally based on what you said if the art and clear Are bubbling there I would NOT dry to pull that Mylar as I would bet you will fully tear the weak clear and art. But that’s me. Remove all parts, clean area well, and apply iron press to the bubbles area. It Will reseat the pooling and any Mylar adhesive that has released. That’s my suggestion anyway.

I did read a bunch on mylar removal, figured I'd ask around, as a few pros like yourself haunt this thread, luckily!

So.....I can actually use the iron over the existing mylar, without having to remove it?

#13993 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Having used the iron for setting some bubbles in mylar patches myself you will have no issues. Just Go slow. Press for 2 seconds, remove. If the playfield or Mylar is to hot to touch with your finger your hitting it to long. Short hot presses and move to a new spot. I think you’ll do fine just don’t rush to finish in 2 minutes. Good luck.

So you've obviously heated these spots with mylar already on, it seems?

Man, I do appreciate the wisdom of experience. I never quite feel like I have the confidence of you folks that have been in this hobby for years. It's definitely appreciated!

#13995 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Where's the link for the tool again?

Permatex 81781 Ultra Series Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TQWK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Vl4nEbDXW9H0S

#14072 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

It’s not from pinball life. It’s from a vendor in Germany I think. Thanks for the help!!!

Same one, from what I know. Pinball life got their's outsourced from that German site.

Be careful, as the guard can be slightly high, once installed, and jam the Pearl's movement. First time for me, it worked great. Second time when I removed the Pearl, and reinstalled it, it didn't....

#14074 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! My question is: Is it really necessary? How often do balls end up getting trapped in that area?

If you don't have a wire mesh around the Pearl's wiring underneath, I've heard it can happen every once in awhile.

I'd like to reinstall the plastic guard I bought, but it feels like it needs shaved a bit down.

#14080 4 years ago

A loom you can buy, to put around the wires heading through the playfield. Helps protect them from chaffing, and errant balls. I bought mine from Amazon.

#14094 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

I actually have both installed. I put in the shield as I had a ball get pinned under my BP. I think that contributed to two wires that needed to be soldered back for the bonus switches. However, this could have been because their wires were too tight. A few others had the exact same issue so it was probably just that. Either way the shield gives me a little more piece of mind.
I put in the Mod couple cannon and found that it does need to stick on a little further out so it doesn’t interfere. It still works fine and I think it still looks great from the players perspective. I hope this helps.
[quoted image]

Do you have any tips for the shield? I kept hearing creaking when I installed it, and it was tapping a bit the second time I place it back in.

#14095 4 years ago

Here ya go!

Alex Tech 10ft - 1 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving for USB Charger Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable - Protect Cat D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW388KV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_YI1bYmXZFyrWB

#14104 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Damn it! I put this type in. BP is still out of the game so I could easily swap it out for the mesh type. Did anybody use the one I used?[quoted image]

I think zaphX did! Is that a harder plastic, with a slit?

I only put the mesh in for malleability. I imagine you'll be just peachy!

1 week later
#14188 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I see that there are 3 possibilities.
1. harryhoudini pulled off an amazing Jack Sparrow costume and the game simply took his picture
2. harryhoudini is really Johnny Depp and loves to create amazing pinball mods.
3. harryhoudini cracked JJP's code for Pirates!
Seriously though if this is the real deal and existing game audio can be edited then this is a game changer. Pirates is already a GOAT level pin but having callouts from all the actors in it would be incredible.

I really don't want to be overwhelmed by the license. I'm less excited by Rick and Morty due to an overwhelming mess of repetitious clips and audio. The allure for POTC for me is the subtlety of how things click on infinite levels, versus bang you over the head with the same video and audio assets. Kinda like Wonka for this reason too.

I like the clever use of GUI that Wonka and Pirates needed, due to a lack of assets usage. Something like Rick and Morty, on the other hand, currently has plopped down full screen clips on loop, with really no clever use of the license visually, akin to all of the amazing work JP Dewinn has done on all of his games.

#14201 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: R&M is pre Beta code, it’s a little early declare the game “an overwhelming mess of repetitious clips & audio”
On topic: POTC is awesome and I will own this game someday!

Oh sure. I agree. I'm just disappointed at how few modes are integrated at release, and given how few there are, it magnifies at this point how most of that GUI is just clips plopped down and repeating, no elegance like in POTC or Wonka, design wise. It's incredibly crude aesthetically.

#14203 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. JJP is easily doing the best choreography in pinball today in my opinion. Its take a lot of extra time and work to create light shows / effects, animations, music / sounds, and then sync them all together in a meaningful way. A majority of pins just don't do that or at least not as well.

Exactly!

And for having the largest screen size by far, they utilize it not by swamping it with fulk size clips incessantly. They're tactfully pieced in, and largely quadrants or sectors give static information that transitions with smaller animations so well. JP Dewinn feels like he's been the most significant distancer in pinball since JJP launched. His GUI design starting with WoZ has been professional, creative, groundbreaking and peerless.

He never gets enough DAILY praise in this industry, as far as I'm concerned. And when you look at other GUI's, if you do, you'll always recognize the vast differences in design excellence.

#14217 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Curious, as a Houdini owner is your assessment of R&M animation above or below that? Won't even ask about Octoberfest I know that answer. lol I think Eric made it very clear in the release video they are no where near complete with the modes or animations. I personally love what they have done so far and appreciate that they are very honest up front to say this has a lot more to come. I don't think it will ever be POTC but in using animation clips it Could be close to Hobbit content. They passed AP animation with just the match sequence....

Well, as fugly as most of that Houdini LCD action is............at least they created all of it. Fugly, is the keyword though. God bless them at AP. I do like Houdini's cab and playfield art though!

Problem for me is, from what I'm seeing, most of R&M is clip usage, which at this stage feels very rudimentary, implementation wise. It's just....there.

They could shrink some clips, integrate clips into a larger GUI like JP DeWinn does. They could also freeze images, and do some of their own extended animation work starting from what they get via Cartoon Network. Obviously that would have to be approved.

But so far, I see some nice electricity animations on the MB start, and maybe one more text animation. Other than that, it's very rough with no panel animation, no drop shadows on most text, static text, etc.

I've stated in that initial thread, I love the work they did on ACNC, really impressive! But so far this license feels squandered on the backglass. Static text and repetitious clips don't engage me. Conversely, Wonka took a few clips, could have used more for sure, and built an entire framework on that screen. It's highly imaginative, builds on the IP, and compliments the IP very well.

The static garage shot, with one item pulsing, on R&M, had me jawdropped every time I'd see it. It felt incredibly drab, lifeless, and basic. I expect more, even on day one release, from every manufacturer.

That said, I am excited to shoot the shots, just not watch and hear that backglass. I've got till October till mine hits for arrival, give or take.

#14233 4 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

I found this little guy like a white plastic tube below my playfield, quite at the far left end lying on the bottom close to the black ‘square’.
Did not see where it belongs to, does anyone know where I need to put it back? Thanks!!!![quoted image][quoted image]

A spacer for something. I know I saw Eric post the other day, I think on Facebook, about there being two white spacers around the Maelstrom ramp.

#14297 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I'm not one to keep games for years so I end up moving in and out a lot. I have rollers, 1 man team but I really have an appreciation for how heavy these games are. I've moved Alien, WoZ, Hobbit, DI, Wonka and even bigger B/Ws like TZ, IJTP etc but moving in this JJP Pirates - holy shit. Thing is a beast. Not sure what the true weight is but it tops my list of heavy machines.

Oh nice! You found your Pirates!

And yeah, that seems heavier than Hobbit, slightly. What type of hand truck do you use?

#14303 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Get a pipe cutter from the hardware store for making the cuts - MUCH easier/cheaper than a hacksaw and under $10.
Aside from that here's the parts list copied from the HF thread.
4- Eye End Bimini Top Cap/ 1'' inner diameter/ Marine Stainless Steel (make sure these are 1 inch inner diameter)
2 - 1/4"-20 Hex Bolt
2 - 1/4"-20 Stop Nut
4 - 1/4" flat washer
4 - 1/4" flat washer nylon (make sure they are nylon, NOT RUBBER)
I got the 4 bimini caps on ebay for 26 total. You can find them on amazon and some marine supply shops as well. Unfortunately...Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to carry them (at least, not any near me...and I live on a Lake. You would think they would have more "marine" supplies).
I got all the nuts, bolts, and washers for 2.08 at Lowe's. That means this mod is under 30 bucks. Im sure you could go cheaper...but go ahead and get good quality items. It is worth the 30 bucks.
Measure and mark 3.5 inches from the bottom of the handles with a sharpie (1 cut per handle. Use a hacksaw. You could go as little as 3 inches...but after testing repeatedly...3.5 inches is truly the sweet spot for handle usage and fold-down storage.) Cut the pieces.
Screw in bottom pieces (with the holes) with a 9/16 wrench.
Set up the bimini caps in the following pattern (pictured below as well):
Bolt, flat washer, nylon washer, bimini cap, nylon washer, bimini cap, washer, nut. Tighten with 1/4 wrench.
Connect bimini cap elbow mod onto top and bottom using the allen wrench. Make sure to face both bimini elbow joints the same way (as pictured), so they will fit. I also recommend connecting both bolt/nut setups in the same direction.

Did you end up using loctite on those tiny bolts that seem to fall out so often?

#14308 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, but that's a good idea. You mean the shitty hex things for the bimini caps right?

Yes. Those little bastards. They never stay in for me, and I end up using the smaller handle more than the extended one as a result.

Definitely going to get some locktite and lock them down for good!

#14315 4 years ago

I did some adjustable cam levers on the handles instead of nuts, you can tighten and loosen them easily and the handle can stay in a position you like.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/8#post-3852098
Oh and I used a grinder to cut the posts, easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DSGYZ5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_YBewEbY9V00ZD

So do these basically slot in between the bimini caps and then lock in? No other parts necessary?

It's been awhile since I did my mod....

#14317 4 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Anyone interested in a huo CE edition? Send me pm

This Hector guy is looking....well, for NIB. But still.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-really-done-with-pirates-/page/4#post-5496428

#14323 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Post 4204 I posted pics as well as why you need the protectors.

I forgot how nice these look, and I don't normally dig mirror blades!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/85#post-4849351

#14341 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

AFAIK that is just power to the star map. Mine happens to be green.

Mine is always orange.

1 week later
#14375 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm quickly losing faith in JJP as so many others have.
I reached out to Shannan for another update on my replacement rail since I had not heard anything since January. I'm so impatient right? I get a returned e-mail that she is no longer with the company and another member will reach out to me. Yea, I'm sure.
I spent $13k for a toy and I can't get a simple replacement part. Absolutely ridiculous! My next $13k will be going to improve my already impressive media room... not another JJP machine.
That is all...

Quoted from zaphX:

I have two backordered parts Shannan was taking care of for me and got the same message when I checked status. No message from another member yet.

Welp, the casualties are adding up.....

Now Shannan even. She was always fantastic.

I wonder if this is why Frank left in Fall, if he knew this was occurring, had other opportunities.

#14429 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

It might happen, want to join??
Anyhow I cheated as I bought mine off EBay. Check out Tommy Bahama pirate and you will fine the shirt. Good luck.

Jesus...those are pricy. Expensive self mod!

#14444 4 years ago

Very weird...

Didn't see anyone mention this anywhere yet.

Kaneda, on his last podcast regarding TPF being cancelled, at 47:00 in, he very normally drops a mention of a big update with assets coming for POTC.

No hype, no speculation, just states it normally. In fact he does to illuminate why Wonka wouldn't as well? If course he wonders if this means more incoming games being made for Pirates.

#14448 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Do you think they magically made a deal for more asset use (spending more money) on a dead game? I don't.

I wouldn't, but if they want to sell say...another 500 games?

Thing is, Kaneda didn't state, and most likely doesn't know either way, what type of assets they might be. Would they most likely be more non actor based snippets?

I kinda figured we'd see one way or another at TPF, but now...... Unless these companies start making fully produced and edited game debut videos, I have no idea how things will be presented henceforth.

#14466 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has been covered to death. Disney doesn't own the audio or video rights to their Pirates movies, the actors and actresses do. So you have to make a deal with each one. Your people contact their people. Some will be cheap, some will be expensive. Then you get the part you want and put it in the game. Then get Disney to sign off on the change to the game you are making under license from them. They can take how ever long they want. And what if the don't want it in the game ?
This would have been a nightmare of gigantic proportions that would have cost huge money and taken many, many years, if it ever got done.
Eric and JJP did an amazing job with what they had to work with. And I'm grateful they put up with Disney and made a great game.

Wouldn't this fella work for peanuts though..?

(I think I read there were 3 Capuchins used...) Mo nuts!!

images (11) (resized).jpegimages (11) (resized).jpeg
#14472 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Regarding the assets in the game, they are the perfect length. If they where longed, I would just skip them. Long video clips is fine the first time around. Then you just want to kill them and move on.

POTC has such a perfect/ideal balance. I never understand what the complaint is, and I'd want an option to choose with or without, if licensed actor clips ever existed.

It's nice to get lost in a pin, with visual cues, versus literal repeating ones.

#14490 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

It's not so much the pricing, which is legit right now, but the fact that so many people said this was their "Bolted to the floor" - "Never gonna sell" pin.
If you take the CE last week, and Zach's LE last week, plus these five - that's a lot of POTC for sale in 7 days time. Wow.

Stop the BS? I just made an small observation - not related to the price of pins - but rare pins going up for sale. Alien at 14K is spot on. But when have you ever seen 7 POTC's for sale in a single week for the past year? I rarely say much on Pinside, and usually try to make upbeat comments. Your reply to me, I consider harsh compared to a tiny comment I made. Sheesh.

I think Delt was more referring to the in general bullshit, the whirlwind kind that gains traction and doesn't need to, more so than your direct comment. That was my interpretation anyway....

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. People say things all the time, maybe they mean it then, but it's tough to take anything from anyone as written in stone. People change their minds, novelty wears off, new games come around, bills that were being neglected, spouse and house size issues. Who knows?

#14517 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

What is the price?

Invaluable!

Really amazing looking mod!

#14555 4 years ago

The price on the mod.

Yeah, it's expensive.... But that interaction when hitting the Dauntless.

#14580 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Crap I might be too late on the dauntless mod.

Head on over and jump on the waitlist!

#14646 4 years ago

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Happy Hour comes early these days..!

Possibly all day too!

#14660 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If it's the junk bulbs you want to replace - and who could blame you - I used:
OPMAX12VNW 12v Opmax (Optimus Maximus) - Wedge (555) / Cool White (Natural White)

What did you not like about them?

I find mine to be absurdly bright.

As in a bit overpowering, frankly.

#14667 4 years ago

Has anyone swapped out playfields on PotC. Was wondering how well it went and about how many hours it took. Trying to get mentally prepared for it.

Is yours that damaged?

I'm in no rush. Beat up the existing one, for a decade or more, then install or sell along with the game.

2 weeks later
#14814 4 years ago

Stupid question, but does adding hot glue, just entail using a glue gun and a hot blob of glue?

#14834 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

it's an opto. Just poke your hand thru the open side of the ship and wave it about and it should trigger.

^ this. Probably needs a longer check time on it as it doesn't always get hit every game (in my house anyway).

I had that happen recently too. I figure it occurred from me raising the playfield more than playing it, the ship getting jostled in those turbulent waters and such.

#14837 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm no longer in the club since I sold my game (still a fan of it!) but just heard on Kaneda's latest show that JJP let Butch Peel go?! That doesn't seem to make any sense. Butch seemed like a huge asset to JJP and helped to create the best pinball manuals in the business. He also went above and beyond all the time with tech support. I remember meeting Butch at a Michigan Pinball Expo held maybe 6 years back and he was extremely nice and knowledgeable.

You sold your game??? I thought you were keeping it....

As usual in the weird biz of pinball, info trickles out, and maybe...maybe later statements are made. Maybe.

2 weeks later
#15016 3 years ago

Anyone have any idea about the screw size for the bottom of the ramp flaps?

LTG said #4 1/2". Does that sound correct? I need to check my game still, see if they match up. Thought they were a bit longer.

#15034 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!
I figured I'd just go down and play a quick game, little did I know I would end up beating Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time ever. I got to all five movie wizard modes and played them all and then kept going. With 2 balls left and EB lit, I had the last two wizard modes lit. In perfect fashion, next ball, plunge, bricked the shot and quick drain. Got At World's End started with 1 ball left and played through it, then drained. Had to collect my EB on my last ball and got Dead Men Tell No Tales started to seal it. Ended up with over 15 million. All on factory settings and no other player to plunder to get more rewards either.
Absolutely amazing game! I can't believe there is still more to come!?!? Thank you hogbog and team!
So now I could legitimately complain that the final wizard mode isn't in the game because I would have played it, but you know what? I don't mind, take your time, do it right, make it awesome and I'll be back! I love this game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy shit, and on factory settings!!!!

I've never even seen ONE of those wizard modes lit!

#15043 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is what is usually used. You'd have to measure the length of the ones in your game. #4 flat head phillips for sure.
Or if you find anything at a hardware store, grab some of each length.

Aw poopy.

Yeah, I'm guessing this is a 3/4" #4 Wood screw. Would a 1" be too too long? The flaps seem like they really want to lift up by nature.

I'd imagine it's a longer screw due to the ramp inclination.

20200513_233705 (resized).jpg20200513_233705 (resized).jpg
#15045 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks like 5/8" to me. I personally wouldn't go longer as it will push through. Have you Tried the 1/2" screw? Technically it only holds the ramp in position and assists with leveling. Not a major component.

That makes sense! It seemed shorter than 3/4", but I really have no idea the variability in screw sizes.

I'd try the 1/2", but that flap seems really resistant already towards getting screwed down. This is my only experience with working on a ramp flap in any of my games, so I really don't have much familiarity for the feel of how hard they can be safely pressed down without placing too much pressure on the plastic ramp.

I need to really get this leveled too, as I was still having issues with it catching on the diverter.

Maybe I'll rush over to Home Depot on my 30 minute lunch today to nab some screws.

Thanks for the input Dave!

#15046 3 years ago

Side note. There's no chance a hardware shop would have those wee crushers for the ramp post on the right, would they?

I can't find mine, last place it might be is my coin box.

#15050 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not rocket science. Pinball rubber ring grommet, plumbing supplies rubber washer, hardware supplies rubber washer, stack of washers or anything to make the height right. Cut a piece of rubber and make one.

Grabbed these during my lunch. Got a larger size just in case.

Thanks again guys, and LTG I'm looking to apprentice at your hall when you open back up!

20200514_182434 (resized).jpg20200514_182434 (resized).jpg
#15056 3 years ago

The #4 5/8" flathead wood screw worked great for the ramp flap. A bit shorter than the JJP screw, but definitely not as long as the 3/4".

The washers I got worked well in raising the ramp, ala the crusher washer. I used 2, did the trick.

Now to work on getting my shooter rod functional again. I'll try PinMonk suggestion of shimming the shooter rod plate.

20200514_233115 (resized).jpg20200514_233115 (resized).jpg

#15057 3 years ago

Question.

Where would I place a shim to lower the plunger?

(Thanks Butch for making such a great schematic!!)

Screenshot_20200515-152324_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200515-152324_Drive (resized).jpg
#15060 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You loosen the screws to move the plunger body up or down, then retighten them.
If you want the plunger to point down a little, shim along the bottom edge.
Think on it a little. Plunger tip up you'd shim the top of the bracket, plunger tip pointed down, you'd shim the bottom a bit. Or remove the plunger and hold level and then point the plunger up or down. Then you'll see which edge of the bracket holding the plunger needs to be farther away from the cabinet to get the desired effect.
[quoted image]

Excellent!

I've adjusted the entire assembly twice, to no avail.

So I place something underneath that inner bracket, like a metal washer?.

Thanks as always Lloyd!

#15064 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Along the black line - red circle is washer.
LTG : )[quoted image]

Aaaaaaah. So between the bracket and the wood. Got it!

#15070 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

May be easier to take the opposite approach and just put something under the playfield brackets to raise the playfield a 1/16” or so. Did the trick for me. Like this:
[quoted image][quoted image]

I did that with a bit of sticky velcro. Still didn't raise it enough. I had a pretty fucked up situation with my game upon opening it initially, my playfield wouldn't seat at all....

What did you use there to raise yours? Thanks for the suggestion, by the way!

#15079 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Yes it would be nice.
Funny thing talking about setting the game up easy. In trying to figure out the discrepancies in the rolling flipper pass from the depths I dropped my games pitch from 6.7 to just under 6.5. Then broke my GC score by a margin. Then broke a million on my first ball. And then again. Suddenly the game became easy. And a bit boring. But what I did notice is I could no longer do the upper loop. I sucked at it when I could usually pull off 7 or 8 quite easily. Put the game back up to 6.7. Scores dropped but suddenly I could get my loops going again.

Oooooh. Interesting.

1 week later
#15118 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks everyone for all your help. Awesome community. Pirates has sailed away for now. Thanks again!

Oh no... You sold your game?

1 month later
#15351 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

This will be my last night in the club. It has been a blast. I was lucky to have a game with no real issues. I've played the heck out of it and time to move on. Good luck!

Nooooooooo....!

(How much did you sell for???)

#15356 3 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

Here you go
amazon.com link »

Half mermaid.....half Medusa!

Her neck is pretty beastly!

The tail detail is really nice though!

#15367 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

They really dropped the ball with that one IMHO. No one cares about Syrena or Philip, especially Philip. A total throwaway character. They had a great villain in Blackbeard and wasted him and set up a cliffhanger with Angelica and then wasted that too. I know they gimped the budget for it, but there was way too much on land action and much of the good stuff with Barbossa, his leg and the Pearl in the Bottle happens off screen. I love the films, but this one was weak.

Crazy the budget was highest on this turd. It feels like a made for TV B Side kinda deal.

Even thinking about the start of the film with the trial, the hijinks with the pastry, get me irked. Then Angelica and her muffstache enter the fray with that awful duel in some hobo's wine cellar.

#15376 3 years ago

Anyone know a good tool to remove the nuts on the Black Pearl cannon door hinge?

Trying to adjust my door, as it keeps scraping against the left wall of the ship....

(This photo isn't my game, by the way.)

Screenshot_20200725-200622_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200725-200622_Photos (resized).jpg
#15377 3 years ago

This is mine.

Just trying to move the door flap, or the connecting rail on the right, over to shift the door flap from scraping the wall. Otherwise it's not lifting enough to open the door.

Last option is scraping a bit of the ship wall away, for clearance.

Screenshot_20200725-200558_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200725-200558_Photos (resized).jpg
#15379 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Open end wrench. Not much room to work there. Small vice grips to hold the other end.

Oh damn. I think I returned a pair of vice grips months ago. I have some small pliers I might be able to grap onto the other ends with.

I tried the smallest open ended wrench I had last night. It was a size or two too large.

I really need more tools, a tool bench, a work space......and an LTG apprenticeship too!

#15381 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If we are going tool shopping. Grab yourself a set of Snap On aircraft wrenches. Light weight and slim. No longer made, but it will give you something to scrounge for. When you need a wrench for small spaces. Careful, you could get enough torque to snap the bolt.
[quoted image]

Will these work..?

ebay.com link: itm

Gonna start saving..!!!

#15384 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Come on #LTG he doesn’t have basic tools no need to go industrial high end. $10 at Harbor Freight and you have more then enough for your pinball life. Snap On when you decide to build an airplane or make it your livelihood. Lol
https://www.harborfreight.com/22-pc-raised-panel-sae-metric-combination-wrench-set-68729.html

I've got a few tinier ones from Gearwrench that I bought for specific hard to reach nuts, but not s full set.

I do have a Gearwrench snubby set....but again, snubby.....

I did manage to notice the tiny screw end on the other side of the locknuts holding the door hinge. So I was able to work a thin screwdriver in, and hold the other end for leverage with an open end wrench as Lloyd suggested!

That tiny spring was a pain to remove, and I hope I can hook it on okay.

Tomorrow on my layoff day, I'll head to my local hardware store, and ask them to file/sand part of the metal door down at an angle. Then hopefully I'll be up and running soon, pop bumper adjusted at the base of the leaf switch, and Pearl door finally rising again!

Thanks again everyone for the help!

1 week later
#15436 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

For all Practical purposes yes I would say abandoned. It been what 15-16 months since an update. Meanwhile basic things like preset difficulties are still missing. COVID downtime would have been the perfect time to polish and finish up some things. Correct me if I’m wrong but the game that came out after pirates is more complete at this time. The next game they release will probably be more complete than pirates. And Keith will have something new to work on and push us back again. It’s a never ending cycle.

I think this always just comes down to sales... No Pirates left to sell, so the fuel to push code forward dries up.

#15440 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Or Keith is lazy

I'm guessing it's not his decision to make.

Remember, Hobbit got worked on, again and again, as inventory was sitting around. Push the code, push the units out the door!

I'd say the same regarding Dialed In, but that seems more consistent with Pat Lawlor and how code seems fleshed out for his two games...ish, at launch.

#15457 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

Quoted from zaphX:

Ok here's why you're wrong. One year of CS class in college doth not a programmer make.
That's like trying to say brain surgery should be easy because you watched season of ER.
There are a million things you're glossing over.
- New user interface code has to be crafted to guide the user through the pairing process.
- How does the game handle the audio, is it simultaneous with the speakers or does it replace them?
- Does the audio stay in sync with the gameplay?
- Does the bluetooth stack have any ill effects with the existing code that need to be worked around?
- Can the game code handle the paired device being taken away gracefully?

I didn't "scam" anything. JJP very graciously sent me a playfield for my LE. I still contend that once you conceal the issues, it is not a game-ruining thing. I sold my LE because a very close friend made me a very good deal on his CE, which I helped unbox myself when new. It was an offer I could not refuse. I did not profit on the LE sale, I paid the kindness I received forward.
In fact, when I sold the LE I emailed Jack to cancel_ the LE playfield request, but I ended up getting one anyway...the order was probably in queue already. I will find something positive to do with it for someone who can use it.
And yes the CE has playfield issues too. Chipping around sling posts hidden by the star post/washer fix, and there was some lumpiness around the Tortuga scoop which I flattened with the playfield iron (thanks yelobird) before installing cliffys. I will purchase my own CE playfield at some point as a backup and I intend to pay full price for it.
Gnarlee you and I have never really gotten off on the right foot. I hope that someday post-COVID we can meet up at TPF for a beer or something. I suspect we probably agree on more than we disagree on.

I appreciate the back and forth here. Gnarlee had some views, expressed and defended them, and Derrick elaborated on his situation and thoughts, and extended an olive branch.

Nice to see people hold a discussion, versus the norm of anger and writing one another off.

3 weeks later
#15525 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

He's one of my "go to" characters to try to get to wizard modes in the new beta code. You'll like the new character trait balancing once that code is finalized.

How did his character change? I forget offhand....

#15529 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The number and timing of updates for the other JJP games compared to POTC is unreal. It's pretty clear that from the start JJP has treated this game differently from all their others. I looked at the change log files of JJP games for the number of updates and the dates of those updates. Here's what I saw:
From Oct. 2018 (POTC shipping) through December 2018 here are the number of updates per game:
Dialed In - 4
Hobbit - 5
POTC - 1
So, even when POTC was the shiny new game just launched at JJP (and had been promised to be feature complete at launch), other games were getting more updates.
Other JJP games have received a lot more attention over a longer period of time. Here are the total lifetime number of updates per game:
WOZ - close to 40 (about 35 pre-2019, 3 in 2019)
Hobbit - 22 (Pre-2018 - 13; 2018 - 8; 2019-1)
Wonka - 20 (2019 - 19; 2020 - 1)
Dialed In - 23 (Prior to Oct. 2018 - 17; After Oct. 2018 - 4; 2019 - 2)
POTC - 4 (2018 - 3; 2019 - 1)
Here are all the dates of the updates for each game:
POTC: 9/25/18 & 9/28/18 (Prior to Shipping); 12/15/18; 4/23/19
Hobbit: 11 updates before they started listing dates; 6/20/17; 12/15/17; 6/28/18; 7/6&7/10; 10/12/18; 10/18/18; 10/29/18; 11/2/18; 11/12/18;
WOZ: 30 updates before dates listed; 6/20/17; 12/12/17; 12/21/17; 3/20/19; 4/5/19; 8/12/19
Wonka: 2/18/19; 3/4/19; 7 updates in June '19; 7/10 & 7/19; 8/14/19; 8/22/19; 9/3/19; 10/7/19; 10/9/19; 10/31/19; 12/18/19; 1/28/20
Dialed In: 10 updates before dates listed; 3/17/17; 5/5/17; 6/1/17; 9/18/17; 10/11/17; 10/31/17; 11/30/17; 10/18/18; 11/2/18; 11/15/18; 12/12/18; 7/16/19; 9/25/19

Pretty sure this only illustrates, sadly, that after any number of hurdles during the licensing/design/production phase that the number of games produced was going to be significantly smaller than those other titles, hence dwindling support.

#15531 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Maybe the best layout

Sad that people don't get this part of it. There are so many unique, fun, and fast, rewarding shots in this game, and approachable from so many different flippers.

#15533 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's amazingly well thought out. The under-flipper hole, the ball save in the right out lane, the shots on the ship, the depths, the right hand "inner" outlane, the upper loop! There are so many shots.
That just pisses Me off even more that the update isn't coming.

I get it, but the game was released with near final code, unlike the Hobbit.

I'm guessing things are just too clustered to really focus on this game, over at JJP.

#15555 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Another wild speculation:
Maybe they’re remaking a non-licensed version of the game and the code is being overhauled with generic pirate character replacements.
I suggested that idea to the warranty parts guy a couple weeks ago and he thought it was a great idea and said he was going to send it up to the management. I couldn’t believe that a non-licensed retheme hadn’t at least been batted around JJP. I’m sure I wasn’t the originator of that idea. I think it was mentioned in this thread a couple times.

Though not the worst practical idea, that would be an embarrassment to shelve a license that hard.

#15560 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, that or any number of reasons could be it. Heck, I've wondered if not having Davit Thiel on music anymore could be an issue with it. Either of those would be things that could understandably hold it up. But my impression from their crappy (and extremely limited) communication about POTC code is that it's just not high on their priority list.
I understand they've supported all their other games and continue to do so. In my prior post I looked at the data confirming that. For me, it's not about wanting a sense of urgency on POTC. I think it's about there being a sense that this thing just isn't coming because it isn't important to them at all, and that's due to their lack of any positive communication about it since May 2019.
I'd think if it were important to them to update the POTC code and there was some outside reason it's taken so long, they could drop some sort of hint saying something like "Hey we just want to let you all know it's important to us to get it done and we're working through it (wink, wink)." Just have some sort of communication at all that gives assurance or even hope that it's important to them.
To me it says a lot about JJP that Stern, Spooky, and AP are all pretty active in their game threads communicating with their customers about code bugs and updates that are in the works. Somehow those companies don't seem to have any problem with interaction but JJP just sits radio silent on POTC, and that gives me no confidence POTC is important at all to them. The designer saying on stream it won't be released until the wizard mode is done and apparently the programmer saying or implying that most people can't get to the wizard mode anyway just tells me as a customer that this thing is way far from being high enough on their priority list to get done. Those aren't positive comments, and to me it make it seem like it's probably not an outside roadblock keeping them from delivering any type of incremental update.

I guess I'm just lost at this point as to why almost day after day we get demands for POTC code on this forum.

Hopefully it will happen, but why would any substantial amount of coding occur for a game they do NOT need to sell??????

Dialed In, Wonka, and their next games need to sell. If POTC is done, code is nearly wrapped up. If they ever decide to make 300 more games....maybe code might be more robust. I don't even understand what needs added other than a final wizard mode, the tweaks already noted in the beta, and obviously wifi/bluetooth capability.

Once Spooky kicks to their next game, will Rick and Morty still get massive code updates? Why would another smaller run game, like POTC be any different?

#15569 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Yea it will. TNA just got an update a month ago. That was the game before ACNC which also gets updates. Same goes for most games. I think people are demanding because JJP hasn't spoke of POTC in a long time. It feels like they are abandoning it. Fingers crossed that the new location brings along new replacement parts because it's slim pickings right now. Owners just want to feel like they will be supported in the future, that's all.

I'm glad Spooky gives a crap. How big was the update for TNA? I known they didnsome work codewise on ACNC, but some of that was also bug fixing AND there were still units that needed sold.

I'm a POTC owner, and I want to feel support too for sure, but as a POTC owner, it's been a bit of a kick in the nuts all along this entire process. Code, that's relatively final, isn't my least concern, with this game or company.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m mainly hanging onto it because like I said earlier, we KNOW some updates are already completed and in a beta build. And it’s been YEAR and a HALF almost since the last update. And Keith’s appearance on the podcast was what, 3 months ago? Not the same I know, but i just don’t want things to end up like WOF

I know your attitude has been persistent, and optimistic, but it's most likely not really Keith's choice, is it? Wonka still needs sold. Dialed In is readily available everywhere, and at least 2 new I unannounced games need coding. So....where do you think he's being told to utilize his time?

Quoted from EaglePin:

Here are a couple examples of non-cosmetic fixes needed: 1) Implementing logic to help the game recognize inner loop shots made (the designer mentioned it on his stream that it's on the list for an update), 2) Fix Liar's Dice ending the game when it isn't supposed to (when Your Soul is wagered and lost, this is also a known issue to the development team). Those are just a couple examples that have been known for a long time.
As for why a substantial amount of coding should occur for POTC, it should happen if they care about the game they sold having finished (de-bugged) & polished (no placeholder animations, adding & enhancing rules, etc.) code which includes all the features they listed when it was sold.
Not only is there precedence for Spooky continuing to update old machines, JJP has historically done it as well. Just not for POTC since April 2019 for some reason.

First example is at least a small bug fix, which should ideally be included whenever wifi/bluetooth updates are finalized for all games and rolled out.

I definitely want code updates as much as anyone, but it's far, far down on my list of desired things from JJP.

Lemme see...

List of shit that will not happen ever.

1. Jack owns JJP and directs all high level decision making.
2. JJP stays in Jersey, and allows everyone that has worked there for years to continue to work there directly.
3. Never, NEVER fire Butch Peel.
4. Better communication and marketing way prior to this year.
5. Playfield issues being resolved sans months and months of nagging, contact, no contact, waiting, etc.
6. Release games in a timely and competent manner. (Could also be #1.)
(#?) Finish games filly coded in reasonable times.

At this point I only HOPE for things from JJP. I in no way expect them.

JJP is not Stern. In some ways that's amazing, in many, many other's it's not....

#15574 3 years ago

Machine - For Sale

Pirates of the Caribbean (CE)

NOB - New out of box (first owner) “Thinking about selling my best pin

Excellent Cond. Low Plays

May trade for LE version + cash my way

i don't really want to ship it,sorry.”

2 days ago

Canyon Lake, CA

rvboarder

Let’s talk about this add! He’s thinking about selling it!!

Who is that??

#15585 3 years ago

Is this someone who posts on this thread??? Never saw them before.

Quoted from arzoo:

I added a clear washer under the post, similar but slightly smaller than under the sling posts. I did not have any pooling on the original hole but I didn't want to take any chances.
[quoted image]

I wonder if that washer will actually help guide the ball even more..!

Quoted from GnarLee:

Only supposed to lose ball I thought. If last ball game ends. If multiple balls left must choose new character and lose one of your balls.

Over a year old. 3 years old. Why are "2" unnannounced games getting priority over an unfinished 2 year old game. There will always be a new game in the pipeline so when exactly would he have time to do such a task *sarcasm*. Covid was the perfect excuse to get some things polished up especially considering the lack of a new game.
With no new games in over a year its a little ridiculous to think there was not time somewhere to get an update out to everyone. Even with the move and all the other circumstances we know of. Im sure the beta testers are having a good time with some of the new stuff, but for the majority of us ( I would assume anyways ) we are on code that is 16 months old with basic features still missing and a few bugs like Eaglepin mentioned.
Meanwhile they could release the beta code (with the wifi and bluetooth stripped out for now) and most of us would be happy. Problem is Keith's apparent ego (My opinion of the podcast) and the attitude of why spend my time on an update when 1% will reach the final mode. What happens when "innovation comes" and Keith is still on his kick of no update until wizard mode is complete?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For sure. But we don't have to like it! I can't blame Keith for the way his priorities are managed; never enough time to do things right. That's how my job is! Still... a year and a half of "oh it's coming...!" I mean basically I'm just trying to keep my interest in the game alive at this point.

Imagine this if you will......

Maybe Keith has ZERO say in what he works on and when. Maybe the owner directs what game is worked on, and why. That's my assumption, and I don't understand why people blame it on Keith as if he doesn't care about his game, or want to perfect it.

Who knows...?

(Someone does for sure!)

#15596 3 years ago

Wesman
^^^^^^
Yes!! What’s up with that guy?

Umm, can you give context? Seriously have no idea about this schtick.

#15602 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody else catch Keith's little tease in the JJP promo video thread? I initially took it as new code coming out but maybe JJP is going to put POTC on the line again. Maybe. There wasn't a ton of context. I can't think of when I'd be more happy to eat my words.

Quoted from EaglePin:

I'm guessing that since JJP made POTC it only had to do with him thinking it was a clever GIF (or whatever that format is called) to use to say he'd take that bet. And it was. I'd be surprised if there's any deeper hinting or meaning going on there. I'm guessing if someone offered the same kind of bet about the POTC code update he wouldn't have the same response. I hope I'm wrong, but with one or two new machines probably coming out I'm guessing that's where their priorities will be for the rest of the year.

New game. Nothing to do with Pirates, undoubtedly. Just being a cheeky bugger.

#15617 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ohhhh you just opened up a topic lol.

Damn it, you're quick on the draw both times!!!

1 week later
#15652 3 years ago

While I’m under the hood can you tell me why this happens? It sticks like this often
[quoted image]

Butch was working with me on this very same issue. He felt it was the same, but we ended up diagnosing that I just needed to unscrew and reorient the mount for the leaf switch underneath.

Having taken it apart, and found the spring tucked inside, doing the adjustment would have saved me a decent bit of frustration, as I needed to remove the shooter rail to get access to the top of that pop bumper.

1 week later
#15706 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Thanks! I'll say it was certainly not an easy decision to make, but I tend to favor more mech loaded games. Four straight sleepless nights of internal conflict and talking to friends that played GNR was enough. I also figured swapping out Pirates for GNR later would likely be easier than the other way around.

GnR will be plentiful for much, much longer. Unless new games are produced. So if you really wanted POTC, you made the ONLY choice!

1 week later
#15767 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great shots! Glad to see someone making goofy faces via the camera!

2 weeks later
#15880 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Ok - one thing to be aware of, that I still have to periodically contend with, is that the weight of the playfield* causes it to settle lower over time in the cabinet. This causes the shooter rod to catch the automated plunge mech and lose plunging power which in turn, hinders the ability to go for a full plunge skill shot. The short-term solution has been to bend the playfield catches (that hook into the front of the cabinet) back to restore the playfield height and eliminate the plunger conflict.
* No doubt exacerbated by all the damn mods I've added to my game. Curse you Mod Couple and Lior!

Quoted from Jenk540i:

I’m glad you posted this. I picked up a used pin a few months ago and have been dealing with this. The original owner had adjusted the mounting of the plunger but that looked weird because you could see the decal cut. So I had put the plunger back in the original position and sometimes had to plunge a ball multiple times to even get it on the playfield.
So I just tried your suggestion and now it plunges beautifully. Wow. What a simple fix. Hope it will last for a while!

Rather than bend the hooks, I took a freebie fridge magnet, like one you might find with football schedules on it, and sliced up little slivers to raise it.

I kept adding pieces under the hooks, on top of the assembly, till it raised it, and allowed the shooter rod assembly to breathe a bit! (Adjusting the shooter rod assembly itself only did so much...)

#15881 3 years ago

Assembly X's 3! How weird that it spaced itself out like that!

1 month later
#16157 3 years ago

Quoted from Yelobird:Crappy games need love to. I think the current code on POTC plays better then those games without even turning it on.

#16159 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Bad news: I've taken the ship off this game more times than I can count.
Good news: I've had it off so many times I can have it completely removed in 5 minutes.
Wire came off the EOS for left flipper again. I rerouted those two wires so they hopefully will last longer this time. The rocking motion of the ship bends them back and forth and they eventually break off.
Still loving this game!

Taking off is "easy". Putting back on still gives me issues.

It's just so damn loaded under that ship. Rotten overly complex, brilliant game you!!!

1 week later
#16186 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That chest mod is so worth it though. It's my top three mods of all time. Really adds to the game to see that chest close.
As if we needed more.
I look at my potc jjp next to my WoZ and then I look at my GnR jjp and realize these older jjp games are so special how loaded they were. Old school jjp is amazing.

I definitely feel like post POTC, took an inevitable turn for JJP. Cost consciousness will always be at hand, after those amazing and loaded first four games.

1 month later
#16373 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Same here... It's not going anywhere anytime soon. I am a below average player. Took up pinball in 2020. By time I get good enough to beat it, the code will be out...

Took up pinball super amazingly so, you mean! Like, daaaaaaaaamn!

#16388 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

That’s just hype. Hype dies off.
I’m sure the new JJP hype plus the furor over the GNR price hike (which I am sure is just to curb demand a little and help JJP catch up) is what’s driving the price jumps. I would be very surprised if they endure.
That said if anyone has 20K dying to be spent and wants the RAREST version of POTC HMU, huh??

Jesus, wtf has this hobby become?

I grew up being contented to hang with buds and toss quarters in. I don't think I'm much of a fan of the home market, frankly. It's pretty grotesque and takes away from what felt like an incredible escape as a teen. Owning shit at stupid prices isn't really an interest to me.

Each day, a $5500 JP2 becomes far, far more sane. Sadly. And I really don't care for Stern stuff often.

#16390 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Taking you to pound town! Or I got your money punk! Cheap ass downed just like stren just a dumb ass machinrvforvthebaheep

What he said!!!!

#16401 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Actually considering it. I thought they were typos.
Edit:
I actually called Jack today! He answered right away (we had spoken before) and I asked him if he’d seen these prices. He said he had heard, and asked me if I could believe it. I basically offered to order enough new LEs to make it worthwhile to remake (we reminisced about him doing the same thing on lotr le). He told me they have 3000 back ordered gnr. He said they probably won’t ever run potc again. He estimated the chance at 20%. He did say he has the license for another year so there’s always a chance, but he doesn’t think so!! It was a crazy call!
So, I’m keeping potc. Don’t want to risk not having one.

I always enjoy speaking with Jack! I never know whether he's telling me something I want to hear, or what might happen. Salesmanship! And that kind of back and forth is what I expect there.

Plus I'd imagine he has partial say in such things.

#16407 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Asking just for curiosity. Yes, Jack is an overall really nice guy and does try to directly communicate with the fans when he can. I always appreciated that. With that said, at any point of your conversation did you say "hey Jack, any issues with me documenting and posting every word of our personal conversation to a forum?". Just hate to see his willingness to communicate closed off as no longer personal.

I agree, and wouldn't disclose a private conversation sans actually asking if I could state something publicly, but it's also not Jack spewing shit at people or other companies. He is just talking about one he happens to be the founder of.

It's also such a small hobby that at this point I'd assume anything said to one person, is out in the ether almost immediately. A curse and blessing of having an industry where that kind of connection is possible. As in, it's nice to feel part of the process, but then disclosure is also key.

But again, I definitely agree in privacy unless otherwise noted.

#16412 3 years ago

I actually want people to tell me if they've had a conversation with Jack, and he's talked about his favorite Pizzarias or Italian joints. Brooklyn born, definitely knows some good shops.

I found a joint in Throgg's Neck, (which coincidentally is NOT a static toy in the Hobbit!), and it was phenomenal!

Also found a place in Jersey that put fried potato wedges on hot dogs. Was kind of fucking amazing!!!

1 week later
#16425 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Karl DeAngelo is streaming jjPotC right now with 2.0beta code and realtime temp gauges on the uncooled coils:
https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball
A new record temp set - 249.7F, 125 minutes in, blowing away GnR's uncooled flipper coil record of 219.8F:
[quoted image]
And the uncooled jjPotC flipper coil temp graph from the whole stream tonight:
[quoted image]

Is this a new issue with POTC or JJP games? Haven't heard about flipper temperature issues.

#16432 3 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

This is the same beta that has been available for a long time. No updates to it.

Hey Karl, totally off topic question.

I see you own a Pro JP2. Do you feel the Premium features aren't necessary? The one Stern game I'd definitely consider, and the Pro seems so nicely priced!

#16443 3 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Both are great but it's now a long-term keeper for me thus the upgrade to premium. Can't go wrong with the pro!

Aaah, definitely makes sense! Thanks for the input Karl!

#16451 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wonder if I should file a claim then - I just noticed some SEVERE chipping around the left sling post, and it had already flaked completely off, unfortunately.

Definitely do it sooner rather than later!

Quoted from Happy81724:

It doesn’t hurt. I filed mine about 5 months ago and was approved

That's great! I'm surprised, and glad, they're still honoring that!

1 week later
#16495 3 years ago
Screenshot_20210302-154717_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210302-154717_Chrome (resized).jpg
#16500 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

[quoted image]

Oops. Meant to post the other one!

2 years later
#18295 1 year ago

Yeah, definitely not the update we were looking for, but they will definitely update to remove Scorbit.

Somehow I can't see JJP replacing it with their own new score tracking/achievement system.

I hope I'm wrong, but hey....if they make us pay for it, that's entirely a different possibility......

#18297 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Unless they add something new to the code, I'm just going to stick to the current beta for now. I wonder if it will continue to work as long as it is in the code?

Just noticed your username! Man, I haven't watched that in over a decade.....

7 months later
#18566 6 months ago

Any details of the #2/3 surprises from JJP during the Godfather discussion panel?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

406 posts in this topic match your search for posts by wesman. You are on page 2 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/2?tu=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.