(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 378.
#14801 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Check the opto's. Something definitely isn't reading right.

It seems to be fixed at the moment but I think it was a combination of things. All being the front optos were not completely seated, the balls were slightly magnetized and the slant of the chest was not pitched enough. After each of these were fixed it began to work right again.

#14802 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I never quite figured out how to make Shot X useful. Something I need to learn.

Someone explained it a few (10) pages back - you light the lanes and then you hit the pirate shot, then aim for the 2x 3x 4x 5x targets on the playfield. Whichever one you hit is what you are awarded. I think?

#14803 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Someone explained it a few (10) pages back - you light the lanes and then you hit the pirate shot, then aim for the 2x 3x 4x 5x targets on the playfield. Whichever one you hit is what you are awarded. I think?

Which shots are worth a decent amount of points to try to use Shot X on? All the points from shots run together on the screen and I'm never certain which shots scored which points. Jackpots during multiball of course would be good for Shot X but that seems pretty tough to set up. Are there any other shots that are a decent amount of points to try to use it on? Maybe a shot that finishes a chapter?

#14804 4 years ago

Just doing some test fitting... lots of lighting upgrades coming up for JJP games.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14805 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

You know there is something wrong when you can get 4 balls into your chest...[quoted image]

I've managed (not sure how) to fire 2 balls in multiball into the chest rapid fire like and had 4 balls in the chest. No issues, just a freak occurrance

#14806 4 years ago

Installed the stern button. It doesn’t seem to reach the switch arm. What now?

BF57806C-2A3D-4823-8B4D-87CF96D95177 (resized).jpegBF57806C-2A3D-4823-8B4D-87CF96D95177 (resized).jpeg
#14807 4 years ago

You sure that's the right button? What is on the end of the plunger?

#14808 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

You sure that's the right button? What is on the end of the plunger?

Nothing. This is the one I got...

9B63C1D0-B784-4078-A025-D3C395B2FD7F (resized).jpeg9B63C1D0-B784-4078-A025-D3C395B2FD7F (resized).jpeg
#14809 4 years ago

It’s basically the same button but without the screw at the end. Don’t see how this new Stern button can work without that screw

2EEBD255-06DB-47E9-8168-69F030C2A999 (resized).jpeg2EEBD255-06DB-47E9-8168-69F030C2A999 (resized).jpeg
#14810 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Installed the stern button. It doesn’t seem to reach the switch arm. What now?[quoted image]

There was a screw in the end of the original button. Remove it and screw it into the new one.

#14811 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

There was a screw in the end of the original button. Remove it and screw it into the new one.

I just did! I also added the hot glue.it’s Been rock solid for 4 games now. Thanks!

#14812 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I just did! I also added the hot glue.it’s Been rock solid for 4 games now. Thanks!

The action on that Stern button is really great.

#14813 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The action on that Stern button is really great.

I just wasn’t sure if it was the button itself getting stuck OR the screw head was catching the switch arm somehow. A little bit of both maybe? It works great now and it makes a huge difference! Thanks!

#14814 4 years ago

Stupid question, but does adding hot glue, just entail using a glue gun and a hot blob of glue?

#14815 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Stupid question, but does adding hot glue, just entail using a glue gun and a hot blob of glue?

I’ve never needed the blob, just the screw

#14816 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve never needed the blob, just the screw

Same for me, screw is fine with Stern button. So strange how the JJP button and Stern button look identical yet one sticks and one doesn't.

#14817 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Not a stupid question if you don't know.

Yes.

LTG : )

#14818 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Which shots are worth a decent amount of points to try to use Shot X on? All the points from shots run together on the screen and I'm never certain which shots scored which points. Jackpots during multiball of course would be good for Shot X but that seems pretty tough to set up. Are there any other shots that are a decent amount of points to try to use it on? Maybe a shot that finishes a chapter?

Shot X is very situational.

Chapter shots can be valuable. Jackbots Super Jackbots.

But when in doubt your compass is your best bet. Compass points to most valuable shot.

#14819 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Shot X is very situational.
Chapter shots can be valuable. Jackbots Super Jackbots.
But when in doubt your compass is your best bet. Compass points to most valuable shot.

What compass? The one on the apron? I dont' think I've ever looked at that in a game!

#14820 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What compass? The one on the apron? I dont' think I've ever looked at that in a game!

Yes. Likewise though, I never remember to look at it either. Normally when I'm playing there are very few chances to look at anything but the playfield.

#14821 4 years ago

Some test painting. Interior reflectors channel the light up to the lantern. Working on an antique glass pattern now so it will be a milky transparent glass that helps diffuse the light while letting you see it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14822 4 years ago

Some test painting. Interior reflectors channel the light up to the lantern. Working on an antique glass pattern now so it will be a milky transparent glass that helps diffuse the light while letting you see it.
[quoted image]

Nice job!!!!

Is it normal for the outermost chapter select switches to get hit a lot less during random chapter select than the middle ones? I’m not 100% sure but it sure seems that way....

ECE809D2-C642-4983-B298-17214EEB3AA1 (resized).jpegECE809D2-C642-4983-B298-17214EEB3AA1 (resized).jpeg
#14823 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Nice job!!!!
Is it normal for the outermost chapter select switches to get hit a lot less during random chapter select than the middle ones? I’m not 100% sure but it sure seems that way....[quoted image]

Stick a skewer in there when in switch test mode and hit each one to see if they react the same. Might just need adjustment.

#14824 4 years ago

Stick a skewer in there when in switch test mode and hit each one to see if they react the same. Might just need adjustment.

They register normally. I tested them extensively when the ship was out. I just figured the middle ones would get hit a lot more than the ones on the outside.

I know for a fact the one on the right has an opto housing behind it. Wondering if that has anything to do that switch not registering as often during random chapter select? I’ll keep a close eye....

#14825 4 years ago

[quoted image]

Lookin' good! Who does the ukulele music?

#14826 4 years ago

Hate to sound like a bore, but 'hey JJP where is the pirates code update'?

Would have been ideal for us all now....

#14827 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Hate to sound like a bore, but 'hey JJP where is the pirates code update'?
Would have been ideal for us all now....

Eric mentioned in his interview on TWIP that he’s working on something super secret, and BRAGGED that his games update via WiFi! Come on dude!

#14828 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Lookin' good! Who does the ukulele music?

Heh, that's Billie Eilish

#14829 4 years ago

Anyone get an intermittent switch error #79 Target Ship Bullseye? What sort of switch? How do you adjust? Or is it just due to not being hit for a while?

#14830 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone get an intermittent switch error #79 Target Ship Bullseye? What sort of switch? How do you adjust? Or is it just due to not being hit for a while?

the second you said ... if he is not hit for a while the error occurs, if I remember correctly.

#14831 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Nice job!!!!
Is it normal for the outermost chapter select switches to get hit a lot less during random chapter select than the middle ones? I’m not 100% sure but it sure seems that way....[quoted image]

it seems that no matter what switch is activate for lunch chapter mode, it's a random choice

#14832 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

it seems that no matter what switch is activate for lunch chapter mode, it's a random choice

Keefer has explained the rules for this. It is more likely that you activate the last hit chapter shot.

Search for pinball_keefer post and you will find it. (hit, pinside user)

edit, i did it for you:

Guys, the modes are selected by the last target you hit (the color in front of the insert). You have to hit one of those targets to start a chapter. While it's bouncing around, the side rubbers rotate the lights. It's all based on physical action.
Note this generally means the last thing you qualified is more likely to start because of how it assigns the lights.

#14833 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

it's an opto. Just poke your hand thru the open side of the ship and wave it about and it should trigger.

Quoted from Spaghetti73:

the second you said ... if he is not hit for a while the error occurs, if I remember correctly.

^ this. Probably needs a longer check time on it as it doesn't always get hit every game (in my house anyway).

#14834 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

it's an opto. Just poke your hand thru the open side of the ship and wave it about and it should trigger.

^ this. Probably needs a longer check time on it as it doesn't always get hit every game (in my house anyway).

I had that happen recently too. I figure it occurred from me raising the playfield more than playing it, the ship getting jostled in those turbulent waters and such.

#14835 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I had that happen recently too. I figure it occurred from me raising the playfield more than playing it, the ship getting jostled in those turbulent waters and such.

This happens to me ALL the time. You can have a lot of games and not sink the ship. Nothing to worry about as long as when you DO fire the cannon, it blows it up as expected. This game is frickin awesome.

#14836 4 years ago

I'm no longer in the club since I sold my game (still a fan of it!) but just heard on Kaneda's latest show that JJP let Butch Peel go?! That doesn't seem to make any sense. Butch seemed like a huge asset to JJP and helped to create the best pinball manuals in the business. He also went above and beyond all the time with tech support. I remember meeting Butch at a Michigan Pinball Expo held maybe 6 years back and he was extremely nice and knowledgeable.

#14837 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm no longer in the club since I sold my game (still a fan of it!) but just heard on Kaneda's latest show that JJP let Butch Peel go?! That doesn't seem to make any sense. Butch seemed like a huge asset to JJP and helped to create the best pinball manuals in the business. He also went above and beyond all the time with tech support. I remember meeting Butch at a Michigan Pinball Expo held maybe 6 years back and he was extremely nice and knowledgeable.

You sold your game??? I thought you were keeping it....

As usual in the weird biz of pinball, info trickles out, and maybe...maybe later statements are made. Maybe.

#14838 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did it have something to do with the move? Where does Butch reside?

#14839 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You sold your game??? I thought you were keeping it....
As usual in the weird biz of pinball, info trickles out, and maybe...maybe later statements are made. Maybe.

Yeah, the right offer came around and have been exploring other games. I bought the first 4 JJP games NIB but due to their cost and lack of space I can't keep buying every title lol (wish I could!).

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did it have something to do with the move? Where does Butch reside?

Based on what Kaneda said it wasn't Butch's decision, he didn't want to leave, and was a total shock to him. Again this is just what Kaneda reported. However, according to Kaneda Butch's daughter reached out to him and said "It was definitely unexpected and abrupt, he never would of quit working for JJP. They made it clear they didn't have a role for him anymore and that it was permanent. We were all in disbelief, very sad". I'm not sure who could do a better job then Butch with JJP manuals and tech support. I'm sure there's other things at play that we are not hearing about. Companies make changes all the time.

#14840 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, the right offer came around and have been exploring other games. I bought the first 4 JJP games NIB but due to their cost and lack of space I can't keep buying every title lol (wish I could!).

Based on what Kaneda said it wasn't Butch's decision and was a total shock to him. I'm not sure who could do a better job then Butch with JJP manuals.

Well that sucks, especially when it comes out of the blue, and especially ESPECIALLY when it’s someone who’s doing a great job.

#14841 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Keefer has explained the rules for this. It is more likely that you activate the last hit chapter shot.
Search for pinball_keefer post and you will find it. (hit, pinside user)
edit, i did it for you:
Guys, the modes are selected by the last target you hit (the color in front of the insert). You have to hit one of those targets to start a chapter. While it's bouncing around, the side rubbers rotate the lights. It's all based on physical action.
Note this generally means the last thing you qualified is more likely to start because of how it assigns the lights.

oh thanks i don't see that!

#14842 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is hugely disappointing to hear. Butch is one of the nicest guys in pinball. I have no idea about the circumstances, but the guy did amazing work on the manuals and was always willing to help. My wife and I really enjoyed seeing and speaking with him at shows, one of the highlights for us. I was speaking with him just a few weeks ago on a wonka issue. There have been a few departures of good people lately from jjp that are a bit disappointing, including their parts person Shannon and tech guy Frank. People move on all the time so I hope these people left for greener pastures on good terms and there are no internal issues going on, but sounds like that wasn’t the case for Butch. If I were another pinball company, I’d hire him in a second!

#14843 4 years ago

Butch was great to deal with....he was accessible anytime i needed help. Very sad he was let go!

#14844 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Butch was great to deal with....he was accessible anytime i needed help. Very sad he was let go!

Let's show him some gratitude:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/butch-peel-appreciation-thread#post-5612175

#14845 4 years ago

Companies let people go all the time, even high performers, that don’t fit their forward business plans - but it’s usually a big mistake to let someone go who is widely known and greatly appreciated by your main customer base. Employees like that are rare and valuable and can usually play an important, enthusiastic role in transitioning the business.

#14846 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I never had contact with him, but based on all the posts I've read over the last 1-1/2 years that mention his great service it's very disappointing to hear this has happened. That manual for POTC is amazing and his video about what tools to have handy was absolutely HUGE for me to watch and learn from as someone new to pinball. When someone is that good and that connected to the customers you need to find or create a role for the person fit into. Letting someone like that go seems like either bad management or an indication of financial stress at the company (or both).

#14847 4 years ago

Can’t imagine why ball search couldn’t locate this ball. Happened during Multiball. Must have activated the sling with one ball and the other one jumped the fence at the same time. Weird.

263E7D90-304B-41D0-90B3-29BEF31EDDBE (resized).png263E7D90-304B-41D0-90B3-29BEF31EDDBE (resized).png32BFC5C0-8D37-441D-9696-1312DFD9DA93 (resized).jpeg32BFC5C0-8D37-441D-9696-1312DFD9DA93 (resized).jpegE830AA09-C0B6-40B2-BB97-05E2FC034E21 (resized).jpegE830AA09-C0B6-40B2-BB97-05E2FC034E21 (resized).jpeg
#14848 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Can’t imagine why ball search couldn’t locate this ball.

No way the game could kick it out of there.

When that happens, you usually need a smaller rubber ring.

LTG : )

#14849 4 years ago

Actually had a ball make it to the top of the apron. That one was a PITA to clear, as you pulled the glass down, the ball rolled down further binding the glass from sliding out. Fun fun. I raised the apron rail a bit, hopefully that prevents it in the future.

#14850 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Actually had a ball make it to the top of the apron. That one was a PITA to clear, as you pulled the glass down, the ball rolled down further binding the glass from sliding out. Fun fun. I raised the apron rail a bit, hopefully that prevents it in the future.

That is indeed the preventative fix. Whenever I have the glass off I check that rail and pull it up as high as it will go, if needed.

It can fall down when you have the playfield up, pressed against the backbox.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/297?hl=thot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.