(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 294 of 377.
#14651 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Any ideas on spotlights for this game? What type? What color (Natural white, Warm white, sunlight?) fits this game the most? Thanks!

I think it has enough spots from the factory? It's a very well lit pin and looks to have cool white in the spots

#14652 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think it has enough spots from the factory? It's a very well lit pin and looks to have cool white in the spots

I meant changing the factory bulbs for better quality ones. Wondering which white I should use as well

#14653 3 years ago

If it's the junk bulbs you want to replace - and who could blame you - I used:

OPMAX12VNW 12v Opmax (Optimus Maximus) - Wedge (555) / Cool White (Natural White)

#14654 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

OPMAX12VNW 12v Opmax (Optimus Maximus) - Wedge (555) / Cool White (Natural White)

That's exactly what I had in mind! I was just wondering if a warm white or sunlight white would fit the pirate theme better than a super bright Cool/natural white....Thanks!

#14655 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That's exactly what I had in mind! I was just wondering if a warm white or sunlight white would fit the pirate theme better than a super bright Cool/natural white....Thanks!

Do PinMonk 's e-tape trick too and you'll never have them flake out or fall out again.

#14656 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Do vireland 's e-tape trick too and you'll never have them flake out or fall out again.

Will search for it Thanks!

#14657 3 years ago

Can anyone point me in the direction of the open/close chest mod? Not sure who sells them...

#14658 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Has Anyone tried successfully removing the spotlights without breaking them?

I'll have to find my pics, but there was a lot of hot glue on them....the put it in so that they wouldn't fall out during shipping, but damn they used a lot of glue.

#14659 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Has Anyone tried successfully removing the spotlights without breaking them?
I'll have to find my pics, but there was a lot of hot glue on them....the put it in so that they wouldn't fall out during shipping, but damn they used a lot of glue.

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the glue/silicone and simply pull. Usually comes out in one large blob. Good luck.

#14660 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What did you not like about them?

I find mine to be absurdly bright.

As in a bit overpowering, frankly.

#14663 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What did you not like about them?
I find mine to be absurdly bright.
As in a bit overpowering, frankly.

THe fact they kept flickering on and off. Also the fact I'd occasionally find a piece of one rolling down the playfield.

#14664 3 years ago

Has anyone swapped out playfields on PotC. Was wondering how well it went and about how many hours it took. Trying to get mentally prepared for it.

#14665 3 years ago

Looks like POTC on the top of the Top 100 machine list! Rightfully so! *IMO

#14666 3 years ago

Anyone interested in a Mod Couple Jailhouse Dog flasher dome for your left flasher?

Mod - For Sale
Used, good condition - “Like new Mod Couple Flasher cover for the left flasher dome on your JJP Pirates of the Caribbean.”
2020-04-02
Walnut Creek, CA
25 (Firm)
Archived after: 8 days
Viewed: 94 times

#14667 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Has anyone swapped out playfields on PotC. Was wondering how well it went and about how many hours it took. Trying to get mentally prepared for it.

Is yours that damaged?

I'm in no rush. Beat up the existing one, for a decade or more, then install or sell along with the game.

#14668 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is yours that damaged?
I'm in no rush. Beat up the existing one, for a decade or more, then install or sell along with the game.

I’ve been thinking about just doing it especially if we get put on lock down. I’ll go stir crazy so I’ll need a project

#14669 3 years ago

I’ve been thinking about just doing it especially if we get put on lock down. I’ll go stir crazy so I’ll need a project

It would be great for someone to be the guinea pig and go through it end to end, documenting the process for others.

I'd volunteer as tribute, but I need to buy a CE playfield first. (second owner of the machine)

#14670 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It would be great for someone to be the guinea pig and go through it end to end, documenting the process for others.
I'd volunteer as tribute, but I need to buy a CE playfield first. (second owner of the machine)

If first owner didn’t get a replacement playfield shouldn’t you be entitled?

#14671 3 years ago

If first owner didn’t get a replacement playfield shouldn’t you be entitled?

I received a very nice playfield for the LE that I purchased. I'm more than satisfied with them doing that. The fact I sold and changed machines since then is on me, not them.

#14672 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I received a very nice playfield for the LE that I purchased. I'm more than satisfied with them doing that. The fact I sold and changed machines since then is on me, not them.

Well I know for a fact that it’s an option

#14673 3 years ago

Hmm - why is JJP POTC on Pinside's #1 on the top 100 -list? I mean its a good game and all, but its leading with almost one point to MM...
I thought first it was an April Fools' joke, but its still there.

#14674 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hmm - why is JJP POTC on Pinside's #1 on the top 100 -list? I mean its a good game and all, but its leading with almost one point to MM...

Yeah it’s way better than MM

#14675 3 years ago

Yeah it’s way better than MM

Agreed

mm could be the most overrated game out there.

#14676 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

The CE finally got 15 reviews. That's the one that is up top. There have been a handful of JJP haters that low balled their rating of it (and probably never played it) so it will not be #1 next Monday.

It's my favorite pin currently.

#14677 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The CE finally got 15 reviews. That's the one that is up top. There have been a handful of JJP haters that low balled their rating of it (and probably never played it) so it will not be #1 next Monday.

My current favorite is EHOH, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than expected. Relatively simple, fun, semi-short games. Lots of mechs for a Stern. Pirates is right next to it, and it always astonishes me how much is in there. ("oh man, I forgot about that mode...")

#14678 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Agreed
mm could be the most overrated game out there.

MM is a great game....I have POTC and MMR sitting right next to each other....very different from one another....

#14679 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

e been a handful of JJP haters that low balled their rating of it (and probably never played it) so it will not be #1 next Monday.

Quoted from KingBW:

9.6 is a bit much (when I last checked), but IMO there's certainly an argument for GOAT. I think a much bigger ratings miss is Jurassic Park. I've played dozens and dozens of games (friend has it and so does place near my house....both pro), and I just don't get it. I don't find it "fun". Very linear and the art, callouts, etc just suck D. Again...my opinion. I know Keith has a ton of fanboys from Iron Maiden (which is ACTUALLY a good game, unlike JP).... I'm sure most will disagree with me but whatever....

#14680 3 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

9.6 is a bit much (when I last checked), but IMO there's certainly an argument for GOAT. I think a much bigger ratings joke is Jurassic Park. I've played dozens and dozens of games (friend has it and so does place near my house....both pro), and I just don't get it. I don't find it "fun". Very linear and the art, callouts, etc just suck D. Again...my opinion. I know Keith has a ton of fanboys from Iron Maiden (which is ACTUALLY a good game, unlike JP).... I'm sure most will disagree with me but whatever....

Yeah JP2 is an incredible game probably Stern's best ever.

#14681 3 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

9.6 is a bit much (when I last checked), but IMO there's certainly an argument for GOAT. I think a much bigger ratings joke is Jurassic Park. I've played dozens and dozens of games (friend has it and so does place near my house....both pro), and I just don't get it. I don't find it "fun". Very linear and the art, callouts, etc just suck D. Again...my opinion. I know Keith has a ton of fanboys from Iron Maiden (which is ACTUALLY a good game, unlike JP).... I'm sure most will disagree with me but whatever....

Nah, JP (at least premium/LE) is way underrated.

#14682 3 years ago
413A6F57-AD6F-415A-9C51-007B4724C088.gif413A6F57-AD6F-415A-9C51-007B4724C088.gif
#14683 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nah, JP (at least premium/LE) is way underrated.

Underrated...? It's #5 on the top 100 right now.

Anyways. I know a lot of ppl disagree with me. I know some who agree too. I guess I don't get it. The shots are fine and challenging...I just find the theme boring (the job they did on it anyways, would have been cool if it was like, Neuman doing the callouts or something and not some Australian sounding dude), the art mediocre, the call outs / animations / videos annoying, the rules sort of linear... dunno. I guess I don't get it. I haven't played the prem/LE though. Maybe the moving head will make a huge diff. I don't think it's horrible, but I would take Metallica, Deadpool, Maiden (just as far as recent Sterns go) and a bunch of other games over it. I would waaaay rather Walking Dead too. Just my opinion, I know it's not everyone's... maybe one day it will change. I've played probably 50-100 games on it though, it's always just "meh". I could take it or leave it. I haven't played the most recent code, though. One of my friends already sold his pro, said it was boring after a few months. My other friend who has one still has it but he's not in love with it either. Dunno

#14684 3 years ago

My top 3,
Monster Bash
JJP POTC
MM
But that's just my opinion.

#14685 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

My top 3,
Monster Bash
JJP POTC
MM
But that's just my opinion.

Solid! Hard to argue with the classics. I haven't played tons of MB but looks like a lot of fun.

#14686 3 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Exactly.....underrated.

Premium makes a huge difference with interactive head and and raptor gate. I know heaps of people looking to buy the game but can’t.

But personally I think Deadpool (which I’ve owned) is waaaaay over-rated. So, you know what they say about opinions......

#14687 3 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Anyways. I know a lot of ppl disagree with me. I know some who agree too. I guess I don't get it. The shots are fine and challenging...I just find the theme boring (the job they did on it anyways, would have been cool if it was like, Neuman doing the callouts or something and not some Australian sounding dude), the art mediocre, the call outs / animations / videos annoying, the rules sort of linear... dunno. I guess I don't get it. I haven't played the prem/LE though. Maybe the moving head will make a huge diff. I don't think it's horrible, but I would take Metallica, Deadpool, Maiden (just as far as recent Sterns go) and a bunch of other games over it. I would waaaay rather Walking Dead too. Just my opinion, I know it's not everyone's... maybe one day it will change. I've played probably 50-100 games on it though, it's always just "meh". I could take it or leave it. I haven't played the most recent code, though. One of my friends already sold his pro, said it was boring after a few months. My other friend who has one still has it but he's not in love with it either. Dunno

I’ve put about 20 games on a JP2 premium, and it also hasn’t wowed me. Shots and rules are very good but haven’t been impressed with everything else. Will eventually pick one up because it’s a tough, deep game, but it’s a notch down vs. exceptional games like IMDN and POTC IMO. My guess is that there will be numerous used JP2’s for sale in several months as new, popular themes come out since it requires pretty strong skills to truly appreciate.

#14688 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’ve put about 20 games on a JP2 premium, and it also hasn’t wowed me. Shots and rules are very good but haven’t been impressed with everything else. Will eventually pick one up because it’s a tough, deep game, but it’s a notch down vs. exceptional games like IMDN and POTC IMO. My guess is that there will be numerous used JP2’s for sale in several months as new, popular themes come out since it requires pretty strong skills to truly appreciate.

I think you may be right about JP2 needing skills to appreciate - I mean maybe. I don’t have those skills, but I have a good friend who SWEARS by this game. And I believe him - some games need to be played at home. A lot.

In other news, tonight I had one of those games where everything came together. Got a multiball right at the last minute.. saved the game and I ended up with 1.5 million. Not an amazing score but the thrill of getting there.. wow

#14689 3 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

I know what you mean even though I like JP a lot and would disagree. I feel that way about Wonka. I own POTC and Wonka is just a let down for me after that. I envisioned a rule set that flowed with the movie and at least a REAL wonkavator instead of some wooden shelf with a VUK and a sticker on it. However, Wonka does fit Pat Lawlor’s typical hodgepodge design. He tends to take elements of a theme and just randomly sprinkles them around like seasoning on a dish. None of them tie together or follow any kind of script or formula. That sort of design works for themes like Twilight Zone where there were hundreds of episodes that didn’t relate to each other. But Wonka is one movie with a flow to it that really needed to be incorporated into the rule set to make it great. Eric would have made Wonka so much better IMO.

I guess since I didn’t have any prior visions or expectations of JP before it was released, I am able to enjoy it for what it is maybe? But I do understand that feeling. I think we all have that one game that doesn’t click.

#14690 3 years ago

So I’m having some troubles with left ship flipper. I’ve posted a video clip. As you can see it engages weekly compared to the right. As game play time goes on it completely stops working. I took it apart and made sure everything was tightened. Could this be a coil stop going bad? Okay I can’t post a video for some reason?

#14691 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

So I’m having some troubles with left ship flipper. I’ve posted a video clip. As you can see it engages weekly compared to the right. As game play time goes on it completely stops working. I took it apart and made sure everything was tightened. Could this be a coil stop going bad? Okay I can’t post a video for some reason?

Do you have enough up down gap clearance so it’s not binding with the guide?

#14692 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do you have enough up down gap clearance so it’s not binding with the guide?

You mean the flipper to ground clearance? I have my ship off now and actually there is less clearance. I’ll try that and report. Was going to change coil stop but I’ll try this first thanks

#14693 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

So I’m having some troubles with left ship flipper.

Leaf blade switch on your flipper button working good ? Two leaf blade switches both sides. Closest to flipper button for lower flippers, the one farthest from the flipper button for uppers. Be sure the one for uppers is closing when you push the flipper button in.

You can test in Tests - Switches - Dedicated - push flipper button in slowly and see if first one then the other registers on the screen.

LTG : )

#14694 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade switch on your flipper button working good ? Two leaf blade switches both sides. Closest to flipper button for lower flippers, the one farthest from the flipper button for uppers. Be sure the one for uppers is closing when you push the flipper button in.
You can test in Tests - Switches - Dedicated - push flipper button in slowly and see if first one then the other registers on the screen.

Yes flipper button works great. So I went in and adjusted for clearance and was actually fine. I switched coil stops with right ship flipper. I also changed coil sleeve. Started game and flipping great. 15/20 minutes in dead. Played another 20 minutes and didn’t work at all. Went to eat a snack came back 10 minutes later and was working..I have no idea what’s going on? I’ve had the game almost a year and never any issues till last week. I’ll search other forums to see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for your suggestions!

#14695 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Yes flipper button works great. So I went in and adjusted for clearance and was actually fine. I switched coil stops with right ship flipper. I also changed coil sleeve. Started game and flipping great. 15/20 minutes in dead. Played another 20 minutes and didn’t work at all. Went to eat a snack came back 10 minutes later and was working..I have no idea what’s going on? I’ve had the game almost a year and never any issues till last week. I’ll search other forums to see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for your suggestions!

Sounds like the cool is getting overheated.

#14696 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Hence the reason I suspect it’s mechanically binding. It works but if the flipper is binding on the bushing it will overheat the coil. If you provide more hands on detail it will be easier to help you. Can you move the flippers smoothly by Hand without resistance? When you hold each flipper by hand and lift up and down do you feel an Equal say 1/16” of play up and down? Are both flipper springs visually equal length and connected? When you raise both flippers by hand do the tips align correctly at top of stroke? Is the flipper rubber rubbing on or close to anything when rotating?

#14697 3 years ago

That all checked out good, except the clearance relative to the plastic on top side was very tight and the flipper rubber was set too high. I suspect and hope that’s what caused the over working of coil. I will try it out later. Sometimes I over look the simplest fixes and over think it.

#14698 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Sometimes I over look the simplest fixes and over think it.

Like a poor solder connection at another coil. I'd follow the coil wires next.

#14699 3 years ago

I just started playing this game for real this week. I noticed last night that I would collect characters by just getting the ball somewhere near the required shot. Like one shot called for me to shot the right BP ramp and even though I bricked it, I still collected the character. Is this normal?

Also, Is it normal for the game to sometimes say “9 pieces of whatever we have left blah blah” when a ball (this happened at the start of ball 2, with Carina as character) is fed to the shooter lane and isn’t even launched yet?

The game also makes other (what I think are barrels or doors moving) little sounds before a ball is even launched.

Thanks!

#14700 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

One weird problem I saw on a machine - the wire harness to the Pearl rubbed raw and shorted against the flipper assembly. I put thick plastic wire loom on that harness to prevent this. Are all the wires to the pearl intact?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 294 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/294?hl=breger1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.