(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 hours ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 378.
#14251 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Did you do it or are you just suggesting the lock? Because the issue is with the tang fitting on the new one.

Oh, I didn't change it. I just bent it a little on jjPotC and it works fine. I thought you were looking for a black-colored backglass lock.

#14252 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh, I didn't change it. I just bent it a little on jjPotC and it works fine. I thought you were looking for a black-colored backglass lock.

Oh, I was being anal and changed the locks to black ones. The sizes are common but the tang on the backbox lock is cut just a bit weird for the common locks you can buy. That and it's extraordinarily long, that 5/8" one won't work. It's like 1", here I'll find the parts I ended up using from Amazon and post them below for anyone who wants to do it. I had to dremel out the inside of the tang to get it to fit on the new lock.

Backbox: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR022/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Oh yeah, it's 1/-1/8

Coin door: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR0267Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#14253 4 years ago

I don't remember reading anything about this in the beta release but I sure hope the Bayou and The Depths gets used more. Those two are wasted.

#14254 4 years ago

EDIT - all good.

#14255 4 years ago

Why do my WOZ flippers feel so different to POTC? In fact, the playfield feels much more flat on WOZ. I'm sure I should check pitch, but is it me or are they different?

I can't quite put in to words what the difference is except that the WOZ ones feel soft, yet quick to snap and hit the ball. The ball bounces softly against them, as well as the slings, and its more of a "lope" around the playfield versus pirates even with the slings turned all the way down the flipper area feels so "fast" and "hard" in terms of forgiveness in the ball bouncing off stuff. Both games have titan rubbers of about the same age.

I assume there is probably a coil difference in the flippers since POTC has some very steep ramps close in versus WOZ with very long gradual shots. Are the slings somehow different? I would think the mechs are off the shelf and would assume JJP has no reason to change them so are the coils or geometry different somehow? Or is the code preventing the coils from going down low enough on POTC to get closer to how they are on WOZ?

It's funny how many shots on WOZ are almost mirrored on POTC. Tortuga/throne, Crystal ball/depths, VUK to upper playfield with flippers. I was pleasantly surprised since I've only been playing POTC for months and finally got some time on a very bare WOZ (so taken apart for mods, but enough stuff to almost play it). I thought I would have trouble with some of the shots and all the POTC time has me very quickly hitting those shots.

Speaking of which, while this is on my WOZ it's the same on POTC... the ball seems to hit the "gravity" door on the trough kickout (the hanging metal piece) fairly often and it has to be kicked out again. I turned up the coil and same thing, it looks like that is what is happening but maybe I'm not seeing it right. I don't see a way to adjust that hanging piece, I believe the prior owner had taped it back because of this. Any suggestions?

#14256 4 years ago

Why do my WOZ flippers feel so different to POTC? In fact, the playfield feels much more flat on WOZ. I'm sure I should check pitch, but is it me or are they different?

It’s not just you, WOZ is definitely floaty. So is Hobbit. That’s one of the reasons I initially held off on buying POTC. Not sure why they feel so different, but assume it has to be coil strength and/or settings.

Have you tried turning the kick-out power down to prevent issues with the ball gate? Maybe the high power is causing it to bounce around and interfere with the kick-out. If that doesn’t work, you can try buying another on Pinballlife or just remove.

#14257 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Have you tried turning the kick-out power down to prevent issues with the ball gate?

This worked for my Hobbit.

#14258 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

It’s not just you, WOZ is definitely floaty. So is Hobbit. That’s one of the reasons I initially held off on buying POTC. Not sure why they feel so different, but assume it has to be coil strength and/or settings.
Have you tried turning the kick-out power down to prevent issues with the ball gate? Maybe the high power is causing it to bounce around and interfere with the kick-out. If that doesn’t work, you can try buying another on Pinballlife or just remove.

Thanks, I'll try the lower power. It's weird because never had that issue on POTC. It almost looks like the one on WOZ hangs over just a bit more.

#14259 4 years ago

harryhoudini
Could your balls be magnetized causing the issue with your kickout? I’ve had same issue from magnetized balls.
(Yes, Pinballs)

#14260 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

harryhoudini
Could your balls be magnetized causing the issue with your kickout? I’ve had same issue from magnetized balls.
(Yes, Pinballs)

I should check, I haven't in a while. Probably time for new balls. Oh and I should put some new pinballs in my games.

#14261 4 years ago

Finally got around to making a Proper RUM Barrel for the flasher domes. Gotta make some tweaks and clean er up.

IMG_6606 (resized).JPGIMG_6606 (resized).JPGScreen Shot 2020-02-25 at 6.49.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-25 at 6.49.23 PM (resized).pngbarrel (resized).jpgbarrel (resized).jpg
#14262 4 years ago

the STL file is yours?

#14263 4 years ago

Nice! I am working on some replacements that would keep the flasher functional in terms of spraying the light across the playfield. I was missing that when they were covered up.

#14264 4 years ago

Yes, I modeled it? I'll share it on ThingVerse as soon as I'm done.

#14265 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Yes, I modeled it? I'll share it on ThingVerse as soon as I'm done.

#14266 4 years ago

Hey, folks, I have gotten quite a few questions about the RUM Barrel flasher dome cover. If you are interested in buying one, if you don't have a 3D printer I am going to make a run of about 20 of them. I also can offer two different colors (a more wood looking tan, and the dark brown seen in the photo above)

If there is enough interest I will create a separate thread for it, to not bloat this one.

The Barrel will most likely be 25.00 shipped to you.

Either PM me or just reply to this post with interest. Cheers.

#14267 4 years ago

Been working on spicing up my SE. I love this game! I can’t stop playing it. Definitely a keeper!

#14268 4 years ago

Been working on spicing up my SE. I love this game! I can’t stop playing it. Definitely a keeper![quoted image]

where did you get the CE backglass from? i have been told multiple times that you need a valid CE serial to get ANYTHING CE related (i too had some customers that wanted the ce backglass).

#14269 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

where did you get the CE backglass from? i have been told multiple times that you need a valid CE serial to get ANYTHING CE related (i too had some customers that wanted the ce backglass).

A previous CE owner had a imperfection in his glass and got a replacement.

#14270 4 years ago

A previous CE owner had a imperfection in his glass and got a replacement.

ah, sweet deal.

#14271 4 years ago

ah, sweet deal.

I tried ordering the pop bumper spinning toy..... DENIED!!
Not sure why they won’t sell.

#14272 4 years ago

My take: To preserve LE/CE value. If those parts were available to anyone it would incentivize SE purchases over LE/CE.

#14273 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My take: To preserve LE/CE value. If those parts were available to anyone it would incentivize SE purchases over LE/CE.

Why would JJP care? They don’t have any to sell. Unless they are planing on putting them back on the line

#14274 4 years ago

Why would JJP care? They don’t have any to sell. Unless they are planing on putting them back on the line

Would set a bad precedent for future machines. People would buy more standards instead of LE/CE thinking they can probably get the LE/CE stuff later and save money.

Businesses have to make decisions based on the good of the business as a whole. One-off decisions that go against their model aren’t a good idea for the business.

#14275 4 years ago

If the sum of all optional additional parts for the SE that are standard on the LE/CE are equal or greater than just buying an LE why not? An a la cart type entry level pin could be an interesting idea.

#14276 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If the sum of all optional additional parts for the SE that are standard on the LE/CE are equal or greater than just buying an LE why not? An a la cart type entry level pin could be an interesting idea.

You’d likely be reducing profit while increasing costs. Increased costs would come from additional inventory management and labor on custom assembly for each machine, as well as increased risk of return/warranty issues from that custom/non-standardized assembly work.

Profit reduces because instead of making X% on the full LE/CE package you’re making X minus some percentage on every machine that doesn’t order all the options.

It would be customer friendly, but not as profitable so there’s a choice to be made there on how the business wants/needs to operate.

#14277 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

You’d likely be reducing profit while increasing costs. Increased costs would come from additional inventory management and labor on custom assembly for each machine, as well as increased risk of return/warranty issues from that custom/non-standardized assembly work.
Profit reduces because instead of making X% on the full LE/CE package you’re making X minus some percentage on every machine that doesn’t order all the options.
It would be customer friendly, but not as profitable so there’s a choice to be made there on how the business wants/needs to operate.

Ehhh, I think you over complicating it. People install all kind of crazy shit on their machines anyhow and as we’ve found out there really isn’t much of a warranty anyhow.

They wouldn’t need to change the way they do things on the line at all would be all after delivery but if a SE customer wants the spinning pirate jack up the price and sell it, doesn’t require extra inventory.

#14278 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Ehhh, I think you over complicating it. People install all kind of crazy shit on their machines anyhow and as we’ve found out there really isn’t much of a warranty anyhow.
They wouldn’t need to change the way they do things on the line at all would be all after delivery but if a SE customer wants the spinning pirate jack up the price and sell it, doesn’t require extra inventory.

I think the reality of the situation is a lot simpler when you look at the buyers.

CE buyers: they want it all, and price is not hugely material.
SE buyers: they want in at the lowest possible cost

That leaves LE buyers in the middle. When I made my original LE purchase, I looked at all the upgrades over the SE and decided it was easily worth the $1000 delta from SE. Parting those things out piecemeal would have cost more, so there's no point.

#14279 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think the reality of the situation is a lot simpler when you look at the buyers.
CE buyers: they want it all, and price is not hugely material.
SE buyers: they want in at the lowest possible cost
That leaves LE buyers in the middle. When I made my original LE purchase, I looked at all the upgrades over the SE and decided it was easily worth the $1000 delta from SE. Parting those things out piecemeal would have cost more, so there's no point.

don't forget, a good portion of the CE buyers always want something that no one else will have. this is why you can not get the ce exclusive parts (or le exclusive for Stern). Hell, even the Rob Zombie LE backglass was exclusive for Spooky.

#14280 4 years ago

I have my original one I could possibly part with. We also have the custom made ones for sale.

#14281 4 years ago

I have my original one I could possibly part with. We also have the custom made ones for sale.

Pm sent

#14282 4 years ago

very simple why JJP won't sell CE - it's something collectors value b/c not everyone has it. If JJP were to sell that afterwards, the next CE pin would suffer.

#14283 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

As a Houdini owner who enjoys the game, I strongly disagree. FWIW.

I also own Houdini and LOVE the early 1900s feel of the animations. AP did a great job of keeping the theme consistent while incorporating in modern tech. I love the game.

#14284 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint_of_Dust:

I also own Houdini and LOVE the early 1900s feel of the animations. AP did a great job of keeping the theme consistent while incorporating in modern tech. I love the game.

You meant early 1990's feel, right?

#14285 4 years ago

Hell, even the Rob Zombie LE backglass was exclusive for Spooky.

Hmmm ... trying to remember how I got this translite. Not a backglass persey. Now it's bugging me. I don't even have the game. It's cool though. Hehe.

Anyway, I like the Pirates LE backglass better than the CE.

20200226_210753 (resized).jpg20200226_210753 (resized).jpg
#14286 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Hmmm ... trying to remember how I got this translite. Not a backglass persey. Now it's bugging me. I don't even have the game. It's cool though. Hehe.
Anyway, I like the Pirates LE backglass better than the CE.[quoted image]

Agreed. LE backglass all day over the CE. I do like the CE pf better though.

#14287 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

LE backglass all day over the CE. I do like the CE pf better though.

I like the CE Backglass better. There are enough sculls and cross bones on the game

#14288 4 years ago

I like the CE Backglass better. There are enough sculls and cross bones on the game

colors don't match. That green is CE across the board. On LE, it's not there and doesn't flow.

#14289 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

colors don't match. That green is CE across the board. On LE, it's not there and doesn't flow.

Yeah we all have an opinion
I tied it all together with the green apron

#14290 4 years ago

Yeah we all have an opinion
I tied it all together with the green apron

hey - you're the green machine! Enough said ; )

#14291 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

True! I like green

#14292 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Still looking for DILE? Are you not looking for NIB?

#14293 4 years ago

So I'm not one to keep games for years so I end up moving in and out a lot. I have rollers, 1 man team but I really have an appreciation for how heavy these games are. I've moved Alien, WoZ, Hobbit, DI, Wonka and even bigger B/Ws like TZ, IJTP etc but moving in this JJP Pirates - holy shit. Thing is a beast. Not sure what the true weight is but it tops my list of heavy machines.

#14294 4 years ago

I move em all alone. I feel your pain. But I’m a big person and other people slow me down

#14295 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I'm not one to keep games for years so I end up moving in and out a lot. I have rollers, 1 man team but I really have an appreciation for how heavy these games are. I've moved Alien, WoZ, Hobbit, DI, Wonka and even bigger B/Ws like TZ, IJTP etc but moving in this JJP Pirates - holy shit. Thing is a beast. Not sure what the true weight is but it tops my list of heavy machines.

It "felt" like hobbit was heavier, a toss up between hobbit and pirates. My TZ was no where near the weight of either one.

(edit)

hmm ... a quick google gets me the following. They're not jjp links so only indicative numbers I suppose.

hobbit 351 pounds - https://primetimeamusements.com/product/the-hobbit-limited-edition-pinball-machine/
pirates 350 pounds - https://www.hemispheresamusements.com/new-game-pirates-of-the-carribbean.php
tz 250 pounds - https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/twilight-zone-pinball-machine/

#14296 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

It "felt" like hobbit was heavier, a toss up between hobbit and pirates. My TZ was no where near the weight of either one.
(edit)
hmm ... a quick google gets me the following. They're not jjp links so only indicative numbers I suppose.
hobbit 351 pounds - https://primetimeamusements.com/product/the-hobbit-limited-edition-pinball-machine/
pirates 350 pounds - https://www.hemispheresamusements.com/new-game-pirates-of-the-carribbean.php
tz 250 pounds - https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/twilight-zone-pinball-machine/

There is no way that TZ is 250 pounds... unless I have been wrong all these years. I thought that was average weight for a standard body game, pre-Stern cost cutting.

#14297 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh nice! You found your Pirates!

And yeah, that seems heavier than Hobbit, slightly. What type of hand truck do you use?

#14298 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh nice! You found your Pirates!
And yeah, that seems heavier than Hobbit, slightly. What type of hand truck do you use?

Me! haha - I put rollers underneath the legs. No hand truck.

#14299 4 years ago

Not to get off topic, but the Harbor Freight lift project is a game changer. That plus Escalera and your pinball life is sorted out.

901DB952-EE5A-4F12-AA50-1973666E6FF8 (resized).jpeg901DB952-EE5A-4F12-AA50-1973666E6FF8 (resized).jpeg
#14300 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not to get off topic, but the Harbor Freight lift project is a game changer. That plus Escalera and your pinball life is sorted out.[quoted image]

Could you shoot me the parts you used to get your handle to do that? I've got the same cart and have been investigating how to more effectively use the handle without just taking it out and dragging it along

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/286?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.