(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 378.
#13851 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I absolutely don’t believe anybody’s made it to Break the Curse on anything other than 5 ball, get unlimited extra balls every 15 points and LOTS of time. Those mini-wizard modes are HARD.
I’m super impressed with all the little touches in the updates though, beyond the character changes. Can’t wait to check it OUT!!!

To be honest I had problems to identify the little touches beyond the character changes from the Buffalo streaming. What have you noticed?

I am still struggling with the details of this complex rules. Can anybody tell me where I have to shoot to get the bonus from the treasure hord, once you achieve collecting all the treasures? Second what I red here is that a certain number of map awards reward an extra ball, is that a general rule and which number of shots is required?

#13852 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Hey guys and/or harryhoudini , does anyone know how to properly install Harry's Star Field map mod? I have an SE and I bought the lighted version. I assume I just use the double sided tape to adhere the LED plastic to the star field plastic and then bend it into place and install like normal? Only other question is where to pull power for the lights on an SE? I watched the videos so I know the basic installation, but I didn't see that it covers the lights at all, so any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!
On a side note, my Tortgua has started throwing it down the middle the majority of the time. I boosted the coil up to 28 even in the menu and it will still do it. I would like for it to kick out to the left flipper like I know it should. Any ideas for a fix there instead of dropping power to have it go to the right flipper?

As I recall you take the plastic star map out of the SE and slip the new lighted star map in its place. I did not use two sided tape. As far as the power, I had to open up the black conduit that covers the wire bundle coming out of the head to find the connector. Basically cut the tie wraps. I guess they wire for all three models of the game , but With the SE’s , they must tie back that connector in the wire bundle You can see my posts in the thread Harry started on the star map.

#13853 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

To be honest I had problems to identify the little touches beyond the character changes from the Buffalo streaming. What have you noticed?
I am still struggling with the details of this complex rules. Can anybody tell me where I have to shoot to get the bonus from the treasure hord, once you achieve collecting all the treasures? Second what I red here is that a certain number of map awards reward an extra ball, is that a general rule and which number of shots is required?

Now I'm the one not remembering - but there is a post in this thread or in Whereisthecode thread which talks about th changes. You can switch characters after a succession of events, changes to the character rules obviously, the camera is somehow used as a way to Entice players during attract mode, and I can't remember what else I read

#13854 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

On a side note, my Tortgua has started throwing it down the middle the majority of the time. I boosted the coil up to 28 even in the menu and it will still do it. I would like for it to kick out to the left flipper like I know it should. Any ideas for a fix there instead of dropping power to have it go to the right flipper?

It is likely that some bolts holding the metal pieces around the Tortuga hole have become loose. They are not hard to get to and tighten, but add some blue locktite to keep them that way. I had this problem, but it is semi-permanently fixed now. No problems after the fix.

#13855 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

It is likely that some bolts holding the metal pieces around the Tortuga hole have become loose. They are not hard to get to and tighten, but add some blue locktite to keep them that way. I had this problem, but it is semi-permanently fixed now. No problems after the fix.

This! ^^^

#13856 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Hey guys and/or harryhoudini , does anyone know how to properly install Harry's Star Field map mod? I have an SE and I bought the lighted version. I assume I just use the double sided tape to adhere the LED plastic to the star field plastic and then bend it into place and install like normal? Only other question is where to pull power for the lights on an SE? I watched the videos so I know the basic installation, but I didn't see that it covers the lights at all, so any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Really suggest you attach the led plastic to the backboard using thin double sided tape (not the thicker tape provided), and then install the star map plastic. It will make installation much easier

The scoop is a poor design with the screws going into T-nuts. They should have used longer screws with lock nuts below the playfield. There is a post in the POTC troubleshooting thread on how to loosen the pop bumper assembly to get at the scoop screws without having to remove the whole thing. Like others have said, use plenty of locktite when you reassemble!

#13857 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If it was working consistently before and now suddenly started going a different direction consistently then as statsdoc & others said try retightening first. If it's always been inconsistent in how it kicks out leading up to this then other fix ideas might be in order.

#13858 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I'm not 100% sure in remembering but I think treasure hoard is collected in the Tortuga scoop. I think you have time to hit shots/combos and then collect when you want to at Tortuga.

#13859 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

If it was working consistently before and now suddenly started going a different direction consistently then as statsdoc & others said try retightening first. If it's always been inconsistent in how it kicks out leading up to this then other fix ideas might be in order.

Thanks guys! Yes, it was automatic for the longest time going to the left flipper even after I installed the Cliffy. I was probably afraid to crank down too on the nuts too hard when I installed it, so coming loose is definitely a realistic possibility. I'll check it out.

#13860 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Did you also add washers to the Tortuga deflector like you did with the Map hole deflector? How is that one holding up btw?

#13861 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I’d start by lifting the playfield and looking for anything loose or causing sloshy movement around that coil. Loose coil stop?
Adding a spring washer to my MB scoop kick out coil cured the SDTM kick outs for me. I’d look for something similar ailment to start.

#13862 4 years ago

Due to the inconsistency in firing to the left flipper (with occasional STDM) I turned the coil power down so that the Tortuga scoop kicks the ball smoothly to the right flipper. Have no SDTM since then.

#13863 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Did you also add washers to the Tortuga deflector like you did with the Map hole deflector? How is that one holding up btw?

My map deflector has stayed locked in place and the ball goes in when it should, so I think that's in good shape for me. The kickouts from my Tortuga have still been 100% consistent since I put the foam on the plunger resting spot.

#13864 4 years ago

Lol. I hope everyone has their action button sticking issues resolved. I watched the stream and it looks like with the new Marty rule getting only one coin at a time we're going to get a good workout on it

#13865 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

My map deflector has stayed locked in place and the ball goes in when it should, so I think that's in good shape for me. The kickouts from my Tortuga have still been 100% consistent since I put the foam on the plunger resting spot.

Plunger resting spot?

#13866 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Plunger resting spot?

The plunger that comes through the coil at Tortuga and kicks the ball up and out of the saucer. I noticed mine had a bit of inconsistency in where the end of the plunger sits after firing, so i duct taped a small cut of window weather stripping to the spot. Now the plunger rests more consistently in the same spot with the same alignment so each time it kicks the ball out the same way. There could be several different reasons for why a ball isn't coming out of there consistently though. This just happened to be what was going on with my machine to make it work. Here's a link to my post about it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/273#post-5406195

#13867 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

hope everyone has their action button sticking issues resolved.

How was this resolved? Mine is doing it.

#13868 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Buy a Stern button from Pinball Life. Problem solved. I don't know whose JJP uses (their own?) but they all seem to have sticking problems over a short period of time.

#13869 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

In the tech index but just buy this:

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-38-clear-pushbutton-for-stern-lockdown-bars.html

#13870 4 years ago

What a coincidence - my tortuga started draining down the middle just last night. The metal shield/deflector was indeed loose. A quick tighten and it's fine now!

#13871 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

What a coincidence - my tortuga started draining down the middle just last night. The metal shield/deflector was indeed loose. A quick tighten and it's fine now!

Yeah, it requires adjustment periodically in my experience. Kinda wish the holes in the bracket had less side-side tolerance so it would stay aimed over time.

Quoted from Zora:

Due to the inconsistency in firing to the left flipper (with occasional STDM) I turned the coil power down so that the Tortuga scoop kicks the ball smoothly to the right flipper. Have no SDTM since then.

That's lame though, it should fire into the left one Just adjust Tortuga scoop!

#13872 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think there have been a couple different causes. For some people the button had a burr and was sticking when it was pressed, so that burr needed to be filed down. When I took my button off it was smooth though. Turned out the switch that the screw in the bottom of the button presses on is a very narrow strip of metal. That narrow switch was off alignment too far toward the front of the machine. As a result, the screw head on the bottom of my button was slipping past the switch and getting stuck on it. So I nudged the switch horizontally toward the back of the machine. Then the screw head starting hitting it flush and not getting caught on it.

#13873 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think there have been a couple different causes. For some people the button had a burr and was sticking when it was pressed, so that burr needed to be filed down. When I took my button off it was smooth though. Turned out the switch that the screw in the bottom of the button presses on is a very narrow strip of metal. That narrow switch was off alignment too far toward the front of the machine. As a result, the screw head on the bottom of my button was slipping past the switch and getting stuck on it. So I nudged the switch horizontally toward the back of the machine. Then the screw head starting hitting it flush and not getting caught on it.

That was my first thought since I couldn’t replicate it getting stuck when i removed the lockdown bar.

#13874 4 years ago

Just installed 0.99 from 0.96 I think my game shipped with. Wow. What a difference. Game has just come to life.

#13875 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I disassembled the button, checked for plastic burrs and then put some playfield wax on the shaft and button recess. Let it dry and buffed off. Hasn’t jammed since.

#13876 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I used little bit of dry lube and it's been working for over 500 games.

#13877 4 years ago

Just flipped it on for one quicky game and had an awesome game using Norrington and set a new GC score.
I had almost all the wizard modes ready but only managed to play one of them. Amazing how quickly you can burn through chapters with him.

#13878 4 years ago

Anyone have a full cliffy set available now that they wouldn't mind 'spotting' me until my order comes in from cliffy? I've got my playfield torn apart going through some mods and the new game setup checklist of adjustments. Its ready for the cliffy's now It still has zero games on it and I'm jonesin' to play!

#13879 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone have a full cliffy set available now that they wouldn't mind 'spotting' me until my order comes in from cliffy? I've got my playfield torn apart going through some mods and the new game setup checklist of adjustments. Its ready for the cliffy's now It still has zero games on it and I'm jonesin' to play!

Would have been advisable to play a few games to see how/if its working Before tearing the game apart. Just an opinion. Honestly the game is pretty safe to play for a Long time before loads of protection unless you plan to install it in a local Chucky Cheese. lol

#13880 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Would have been advisable to play a few games to see how/if its working Before tearing the game apart. Just an opinion. Honestly the game is pretty safe to play for a Long time before loads of protection unless you plan to install it in a local Chucky Cheese. lol

Agreed lol and I tried but when I fired up the game the Pearl clunked and was no longer moving. Long story short the rear pin bracket was slightly bent which caused it to fall off the front most pin. Since I had the Pearl off at that point I decided to just keep going. Lots of switch tests and coil tests allowed me to check aim and whatnot but that’s the extent of my play time unfortunately.

#13881 4 years ago

Anyone looking to pick up one of these new pirates playfields? Jjp was kind enough to send me one from this new batch based on the issues my game had. I have since sold my game and as much as I'd like the wall art, I like green rectangular paper art more.

I'm pricing it based off what CPR is charging for their good playfields, so looking for $850 + shipping. Again, the new batch which does not have the dimpling or pooling issue any longer. Still unopened in the box, see the potc pooling thread for pictures from someone who has opened their playfield from the new batch. Thanks

#13882 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Anyone looking to pick up one of these new pirates playfields? Jjp was kind enough to send me one from this new batch based on the issues my game had. I have since sold my game and as much as I'd like the wall art, I like green rectangular paper art more.
I'm pricing it based off what CPR is charging for their good playfields, so looking for $850 + shipping. Again, the new batch which does not have the dimpling or pooling issue any longer. Still unopened in the box, see the potc pooling thread for pictures from someone who has opened their playfield from the new batch. Thanks

I bet the new owner of your machine that no longer has a warranty would appreciate it.

#13883 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I bet the new owner of your machine that no longer has a warranty would appreciate it.

exactly

#13884 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

He's welcome to buy it, it wasn't part of our deal. He was happy with the condition of the game and I didn't even know for sure if I would be getting one of these from JJP

#13885 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Yeah, definitely their decision to make, but assuming the buyer didn't get this game super cheap, it would be a nice gesture, for the person that inherited the potential issues via purchase.

Either way, your choice, and good luck with the sale/donation!

#13886 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

How much did you pay JJP for the new playfield ?

#13887 4 years ago

I'm not judging anyone - honestly I'm not. I have a POTC with pooling in the playfield too.

Still, I can see why JJP and Stern might look at these threads and think twice about sending replacement playfields. How many are just going into a closet as a backup or being sold? If my playfield needs replacing someday I would feel obligated to use the replacement - the warranty is to make me whole and fix the product.

<shrug>

#13888 4 years ago

Finally got my NIB (then modded, then shipped) POTC CE #138 yesterday - after paying $16,500 for it and wiring $29K to someone (also a Wonka Ce) on 11/13/2019 - I've been unpacking things, putting them together, reading up, and finally booted it last night and played two games. Here's a link to the photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BqyW3VBw25A3tCnCA

So far - and forgive me for not knowing all the lingo, I'm clueless...

* my left lane wire ramp isn't lined up, trying to loosen nuts but still doesn't want to move...
* my starfield (the JJP one) and starfield mod aren't working, the mod has a few lights illuminate, the JJP one has the green light on but no testing shows the lights...
* the screen was dropped and backglass paint is scratched - I opened the backbox and tried adjusting but it won't sit at the right level, argh...
* ball got stuck somewhere in the back need to investigate that...
* when sliding the playfield back in it doesn't want to go all the way back to sit nicely, it seems to barely fit, and in doing that when I dropped it in one of the orange plastic pieces on the left lane flew into the air, guess I need a new one of those...

Really wish someone in Phoenix with great knowledge of this game would come over and check it out and let me know what's working/not working as it should. This is my 7th.. went from Bride of Pinbot, added Whitewater, Simpsons Pinball Party, Woz 75th Ruby Red, Road Show, Hobbit Smaug, now POTC CE, and 8th pin - Wonka CE - arrives on Thursday... since then I've sold Whitewater, TSPP... really do miss that Whitewater. I'm addicted, love them, but really need to start knowing more and caring more and understanding more!

Thanks everyone!
Ben

#13889 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

This is probably a post better made in the tech thread for jjPotC:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

#13890 4 years ago

@benbethel that is some serious coin.

#13892 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Finally got my NIB (then modded, then shipped) POTC CE #138 yesterday - after paying $16,500 for it and wiring $29K to someone (also a Wonka Ce) on 11/13/2019 - I've been unpacking things, putting them together, reading up, and finally booted it last night and played two games. Here's a link to the photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BqyW3VBw25A3tCnCA
* my left lane wire ramp isn't lined up, trying to loosen nuts but still doesn't want to move...
* my starfield (the JJP one) and starfield mod aren't working, the mod has a few lights illuminate, the JJP one has the green light on but no testing shows the lights...
* the screen was dropped and backglass paint is scratched - I opened the backbox and tried adjusting but it won't sit at the right level, argh...
* ball got stuck somewhere in the back need to investigate that...
* when sliding the playfield back in it doesn't want to go all the way back to sit nicely, it seems to barely fit, and in doing that when I dropped it in one of the orange plastic pieces on the left lane flew into the air, guess I need a new one of those...
Really wish someone in Phoenix with great knowledge of this game would come over and check it out and let me know what's working/not working as it should. This is my 7th.. went from Bride of Pinbot, added Whitewater, Simpsons Pinball Party, Woz 75th Ruby Red, Road Show, Hobbit Smaug, now POTC CE, and 8th pin - Wonka CE - arrives on Thursday... since then I've sold Whitewater, TSPP... really do miss that Whitewater. I'm addicted, love them, but really need to start knowing more and caring more and understanding more!
Thanks everyone!
Ben

take things one at a time! As far as the playfield not going in, you probably need to remove the foam block at the back of the cabinet. That’s not supposed to stay in.

#13893 4 years ago

Just wanted to ask a question and get some opinions. A couple of months back I bought a nice modded out JjpPotc Se from a pinside member. Everything went well. Game was beautiful and as described. Currently working with no issues whatsoever. My only small issue and admittedly partly my fault is that I forgot a couple of the mods. Art blades and the chest mod...anyway I let him know and offered to pay postage to get them mailed to me. Even offered to meet up and exchange if he didn’t want to be bothered with shipping. At this point he is ghosting me and currently not even responding to my txts or pm’s. Still do not have the items btw. Should I just say my bad and forget about it? Not quite sure I want to call him out, but would like to get what was offered and paid for. Personally, I think it’s garbage to ignore and not do something as simple as drop the items in the mail. Thoughts and advice?

#13894 4 years ago

Definitely take things one at a time. This is a complex game that requires a fair amount of tuning and double checking out of the box. Probably one reason the game may never be remade at least with all the bells and whistles it has now.

Finally made my way through zaphX setup guide and fixed several other niggles and got it back together for my first couple games last night!

What an awesome pin!!

0DBBE89E-D015-46EE-834A-7C4414466C3B (resized).jpeg0DBBE89E-D015-46EE-834A-7C4414466C3B (resized).jpeg472CF051-F713-4D2F-921F-1518EF8A9B3B (resized).jpeg472CF051-F713-4D2F-921F-1518EF8A9B3B (resized).jpeg
#13895 4 years ago

Someone needs to design some armor for the LE, it’s the one thing I can’t stand .

#13896 4 years ago

It was out, I appreciate the note, I'll move my issues to the other thread, I thought this was the right place.... thanks everyone!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

take things one at a time! As far as the playfield not going in, you probably need to remove the foam block at the back of the cabinet. That’s not supposed to stay in.

#13897 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

While that could be it, unfortunately I doubt it.
I recently unboxed game #135 and haven't played a proper game on it yet because I'm still working through issues.
But my playfield won't go in easily either... I have to push very hard to get it down. Nothing is bent, it's just REALLY tight.

#13898 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Definitely take things one at a time. This is a complex game that requires a fair amount of tuning and double checking out of the box. Probably one reason the game may never be remade at least with all the bells and whistles it has now.
Finally made my way through zaphx setup guide and fixed several other niggles and got it back together for my first couple games last night!
What an awesome pin!![quoted image][quoted image]

I know I’m in the minority here, but I prefer the LE to the CE on both of those JJP games for the following reasons: the red armor & wireforms on WW don’t match the art as well as the sparkle blue powder coat on the LE; POTC is representative of the entire movie collection, of which the only constant is Jack Sparrow...replacing him with a cgi character that only appears in a couple of the movies is like taking Gene Wilder off the art on Wonka. But to each his own! The gameplay is the most important thing anyway.

#13900 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

What color spring did you install?

They are super cheap and im sure everybody's feel/preference is different. Just contact them via email and buy every color they have. Thats what i did.

I believe i installed their strongest one and i liked it. So i stuck with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/278?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.