(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13,696 posts
  • 488 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 228 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,378 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190302_095026 (resized).jpg
20200115_165440 (resized).jpg
images (9) (resized).jpeg
95C4CB14-59C4-41DA-B7AC-8C4FF0125BB9 (resized).jpeg
3228507D-1602-479A-B237-F90F837EE8CC (resized).jpeg
55F66B1B-16CC-4EAC-B4EA-0E4556E7DB1D (resized).jpeg
847FB87B-D45A-4837-A8CE-48134F15C159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
POTC (resized).jpg
37923A40-A45C-410E-825E-DBCB4E3A8F46 (resized).jpeg
6062C038-6F57-49EB-8CD3-7FD50DC22C12 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 1.36.44 AM (resized).png
IMG_1177 (resized).JPG
IMG_1174 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13696 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 274.
#13201 35 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I need to get back to work decrypting the hard drive. This is a great idea.

Whoever has success doing this will become mod maker of year.

The ability to add yo ho or a Pirates life for attract would put this over the top for good!

Like the WIlliams IJ and SW do.

#13202 35 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m amazed none of the computer wizards here haven’t found a way to add such a simple thing.

File encryption plus hardware based security dongles. It’s unlikely to get broken to the degree people are adding their own additional code. Still possible perhaps but not sure if anyone would spend that time on it.

There are certain things you can monitor/modify (high scores, events, some audits) as these are stored elsewhere but they aren’t as interesting.

#13203 35 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Let’s have a little fun with it, it’s hidden! Lol

I found both. And to prove it... it's the same one, but in two different places. So blatantly obvious on one... I'm kicking myself! LOL
Murph

#13204 35 days ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I found both. And to prove it... it's the same one, but in two different places. So blatantly obvious on one... I'm kicking myself! LOL
Murph

Okay, I started scouring pictures in the topic gallery and found one. Another spot nearby could have one in there also but it would be tough to tell if anyone in that spot was intentional. Ugh. This was all so much easier at the park when I had the guide book on where to find them. Lol

#13205 35 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Okay, I started scouring pictures in the topic gallery and found one. Another spot nearby could have one in there also but it would be tough to tell if anyone in that spot was intentional. Ugh. This was all so much easier at the park when I had the guide book on where to find them. Lol

Do chip spots around sling posts count for forming them? Lol just kidding (sort of).

#13206 35 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

LOL. The second one is the same.... just in a different place. You won't need a "map" to find it.

#13207 35 days ago

Looking at the matrix other than the armor is the standard Pirates a good buy compared to the CE? Normally I'm a premium or LE guy (with Stern) but just doesn't seem like there is a lot for the extra grand. Or am I missing some differences? Anyone selling a standard or CE?

#13208 35 days ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Looking at the matrix other than the armor is the standard Pirates a good buy compared to the CE? Normally I'm a premium or LE guy (with Stern) but just doesn't seem like there is a lot for the extra grand. Or am I missing some differences? Anyone selling a standard or CE?

I'll repost my opinion on this from earlier in the thread...

"You shouldn't limit yourself to an LE/CE IMHO. I've played both versions extensively and I ended up buying an SE. I saved a lot of money that way and I am extremely happy with it. There aren't really any gameplay differences minus the star map and honestly hardly anyone understands and/or uses it anyway. And to compensate, it shows you the shots on the playfield to replace it. In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. All the inserts still color change on the SE anyway."

That said, I am not a big cosmetic mod guy, some people are. I wouldn't pay anything for upgraded glass, it's just not necessary in my experience. The powercoat is just black instead of chrome, the topper is nothing special and I already said the color changing GI isn't worth it to me. I don't need an external headphone jack, etc. Back when the difference between a NIB SE and LE was $1000 I could definitely see the value there for some people, but now it seems like the difference is $1500 between the two models on the second hand market and that definitely wasn't worth the extra cost to me on a game that already greatly exceeded my normal pinball machine spending range.

#13209 35 days ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

For an another $1k LE buyers got invisiglass, laser etched topper, spinning pirate toy, "depths" 3d mold, black powder coated armor, starmap toy, shaker motor, RGB GI lighting (huge plus on Pirates), target decals, and external volume control with headphone jack. I think all of those items added together are easily worth the extra $1k over the SE. Can't go wrong with any of the Pirates models.

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC-Matrix-New.pdf

#13210 35 days ago

Ok now I am looking too!

#13211 35 days ago

So are there any nib machines of any trim level available in the US? I called and put a hold on the last one in Australia for a friend, but it’s an LE and he might prefer a standard.

#13212 35 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So are there any nib machines of any trim level available in the US? I called and put a hold on the last one in Australia for a friend, but it’s an LE and he might prefer a standard.

I asked JJP. I think the Australia machines are the last nib in the world.

#13213 35 days ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I asked JJP. I think the Australia machines are the last nib in the world.

Freddy’s near Frankfurt has some Standards left, and one CE that I need to decide on after I get a shipping quote.

#13214 35 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I highly doubt you'll find any NIB games in the states. By the time you pay the extra money to ship a game over from Europe/Austalia, and then convert power (probably $600+) u might as well buy a nice used one. They come up every now and then.

#13215 35 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Ok now I am looking too!

Find them?

#13216 35 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

"You shouldn't limit yourself to an LE/CE IMHO. I've played both versions extensively and I ended up buying an SE. I saved a lot of money that way and I am extremely happy with it. There aren't really any gameplay differences minus the star map and honestly hardly anyone understands and/or uses it anyway. And to compensate, it shows you the shots on the playfield to replace it. In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. All the inserts still color change on the SE anyway."
That said, I am not a big cosmetic mod guy, some people are. I wouldn't pay anything for upgraded glass, it's just not necessary in my experience. The powercoat is just black instead of chrome, the topper is nothing special and I already said the color changing GI isn't worth it to me. I don't need an external headphone jack, etc. Back when the difference between a NIB SE and LE was $1000 I could definitely see the value there for some people, but now it seems like the difference is $1500 between the two models on the second hand market and that definitely wasn't worth the extra cost to me on a game that already greatly exceeded my normal pinball machine spending range.

I must respectfully disagree. The Pirates LE is more than worth the additional cost for those of us thst vslue aesthetics.

#13217 35 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I must respectfully disagree. The Pirates LE is more than worth the additional cost for those of us thst vslue aesthetics.

I agree with you. As far as upgrades go for an LE and value, it blows most other games out of the water...for those that value cosmetic upgrades. For someone like me who does not put much value in them and tends to be more thrifty buying games, when I can save over $1000 and get the exact same playing game as an LE minus the star map...I'm going to save the $1000 every time.

#13218 35 days ago
Quoted from koops:

File encryption plus hardware based security dongles. It’s unlikely to get broken to the degree people are adding their own additional code. Still possible perhaps but not sure if anyone would spend that time on it.
There are certain things you can monitor/modify (high scores, events, some audits) as these are stored elsewhere but they aren’t as interesting.

The dongle is already cracked; it is in the wild. The remaining challenge is the hard drive, which with the dongle private key in hand, will be comparatively simple

#13219 35 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I agree with you. As far as upgrades go for an LE and value, it blows most other games out of the water...for those that value cosmetic upgrades. For someone like me who does not put much value in them and tends to be more thrifty buying games, when I can save over $1000 and get the exact same playing game as an LE minus the star map...I'm going to save the $1000 every time.

I own both and for the most part agree with this statement.

#13220 35 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Fair enough. And for someone like me who values a complete gameplay experience, another $1,000 is well worth the cost of maximixing the visua appeal of-an already $8,500 minimum entertainment investment.

#13221 35 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The dongle is already cracked; it is in the wild. The remaining challenge is the hard drive, which with the dongle private key in hand, will be comparatively simple

oh wow. nice

#13222 35 days ago

I did not find any, but did not have enough time to look more.

#13223 35 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Fair enough. And for someone like me who values a complete gameplay experience, another $1,000 is well worth the cost of maximixing the visua appeal of-an already $8,500 minimum entertainment investment.

I wish I had an LE as I did spend additional funds on the Invisiglass, shaker, etc. However, the option was not there and I am just glad I have one.

I believe that all models are going to be harder and harder to come by. I am not selling mine. POTCJJP is the best pin I have ever played and I can’t see anyone topping it in the near future.

#13224 34 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

POTCJJP is the best pin I have ever played and I can’t see anyone topping it in the near future.

I hope the experience with Pirates hasn’t taken some of the wind out of Eric’s sails, and his next game is another home run. GNR isn’t as appealing to me as a general pirates theme, but as long as he’s not too constrained Eric probably learned some important lessons with POTC that could make his next design even better. Unfortunately, I suspect JJP will play it safe vs. continuing to shoot for the magic of the BW classics.

#13225 34 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I wish I had an LE as I did spend additional funds on the Invisiglass, shaker, etc. However, the option was not there and I am just glad I have one.
I believe that all models are going to be harder and harder to come by. I am not selling mine. POTCJJP is the best pin I have ever played and I can’t see anyone topping it in the near future.

I agree it’s the best pin ever made IMHO. I’m never selling mine. I’m even trying to accumulate some key parts so I can keep her working as long as possible.

#13226 34 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

LE is well worth the money over SE any day. Sure you are right about the cosmetic differences are only the devils triangle, pop bumbers, and you can add those, plus shaker, invisglass, headphone jack with aftermarket mods to tried to copy LE but integrated Starmap and color changing GI can not be duplicated. So there is a definite difference in gameplay, at least for me with the GI and i'm sure most will agree.

Easily top 3 games all time for me.

#13227 34 days ago

Here is a picture of the "2nd to last" NIB from Australia. It is making its way onto a United Flight bound for San Francisco. I can't wait to play. It will be nice get it before Christmas.

PastedGraphic-2 (1) (resized).jpg
#13228 34 days ago
Quoted from wilder828:

Here is a picture of the "2nd to last" NIB from Australia. It is making its way onto a United Flight bound for San Francisco. I can't wait to play. It will be nice get it before Christmas.[quoted image]

Congrats!!

#13229 34 days ago

Iv just purchased a POTC, iv just spent around an hour playing it. My first impressions are a little mixed one of mega confusion and a little deflated. I am comparing it to my DI and my WOZ of which I have owned for over 12 months and played a lot of games on.
Obviously I need to understand and learn this game, please tell me this will grow on me when I have got to learn the rules.

#13230 34 days ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Iv just purchased a POTC, iv just spent around an hour playing it. My first impressions are a little mixed one of mega confusion and a little deflated. I am comparing it to my DI and my WOZ of which I have owned for over 12 months and played a lot of games on.
Obviously I need to understand and learn this game, please tell me this will grow on me when I have got to learn the rules.

First question, are you playing solo or multiplayer? The multiplayer experience on jjPotC is the best of any pin simply because of the ability to plunder your opponents score, balls, etc is a great play mechanic. It's SO much fun.

There's a ton of depth to the game. Learn how and when to select certain rollover P-I-R-A-T-E awards and how to maximize them. Get good at shooting the cannon. Stack multiballs. In short, play it a LOT, preferably with at least one other player.

It's a much better and deeper game than Dialed In. WoZ is debatable basically coming down to taste, but it does give even WoZ a run for the money.

#13231 34 days ago

I spent an hour playing Solo, iam sure it will absolutely fine, before a bought it I read a lot of ratings/reports on it and found it hard to find any negative ones.

#13232 34 days ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

I spent an hour playing Solo, iam sure it will absolutely fine, before a bought it I read a lot of ratings/reports on it and found it hard to find any negative ones.

It will definitely grow on you. There are some great videos on YouTube. I’d recommend starting with “Dead Flip”s video with Jack Danger nd the JJP crew including designer Eric explaining and playing the game.

#13233 33 days ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

I’ve owned it for about 7 months and I am still learning the code, and there is so much I still do not understand. I just focus on one per game. It seems to have breadth and depth at the same time.

#13234 33 days ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

It's easy if you break it down by specific goals. There are 6 multiballs and 5 movies to work through.
Focus on one at a time, then start to combine them which is where this pin starts to truly shine.

MB1 - Black Pearl: Hit the boat spinners, green lit targets, and then shoot the cannon into the Dauntless hole. Skill shot to the boat skips one step.
MB2 - Dead Man's Chest: Hit the targets next to the chest, then lock a ball in the chest. Do this 3x.
MB3 - At World's End: All the 9 major shots in the game have a large arrow, red once hit. Light them all, then make the Maelstrom shot.
MB4 - On Stranger Tides: Rip the upper playfield loop 5x non-consecutively.
MB5 - Dead Men Tell No Tales: Rip the Devil's Triangle spinner a lot.
MB6 - Tortuga: Collect 50 gold then shoot the Tortuga scoop.

Movie Chapters: These all work the same but with different shots.
- Shoot the movie's main shot (they have skulls on them.) This opens up the cannon door for that movie.
- Shoot the star map chapter select shot. If only one skull is lit, a chapter is chosen from that movie. If multiple, it is random. If Tia Dalma, you choose.
- In the chapter, character shots are lit on the playfield. Make them to complete the mode.
- Complete all 5 chapters in one movie to start its wizard mode.

That is the main gist of the game. There is more depth and nuance to learn, for example managing the inlane awards for maximum benefit, learning the star map to earn extra balls, etc.

Good luck matey!

#13235 33 days ago

where are the hidden mickeys now?

#13236 33 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's easy if you break it down by specific goals. There are 6 multiballs and 5 movies to work through.
Focus on one at a time, then start to combine them which is where this pin starts to truly shine.
MB1 - Black Pearl: Hit the boat spinners, green lit targets, and then shoot the cannon into the Dauntless hole. Skill shot to the boat skips one step.
MB2 - Dead Man's Chest: Hit the targets next to the chest, then lock a ball in the chest. Do this 3x.
MB3 - At World's End: All the 9 major shots in the game have a large arrow, red once hit. Light them all, then make the Maelstrom shot.
- Shoot the movie's main shot (they have skulls on them.) This opens up the cannon door for that movie.
- Shoot the star map chapter select shot. If only one skull is lit, a chapter is chosen from that movie. If multiple, it is random. If Tia Dalma, you choose.
- In the chapter, character shots are lit on the playfield. Make them to complete the mode.
That is the main gist of the game. There is more depth and nuance to learn, for example managing the inlane awards for maximum benefit, learning the star map to earn extra balls, etc.
Good luck matey!

Excellent write up. Now... why select “Shot X “ on the compass like Karl does, and where is that shot located when you do? Thanks!

#13237 33 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Good luck matey!

How come I know all that, including the inlanes, and still feel like I am clueless at times? Can anyone explain in the same, easy to understand language, the rest of the stuff?

Nice explanation, btw!

#13238 33 days ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

where are the hidden mickeys now?

The one that is 100% officially a hidden Mickey is on the spinning disk.

I’m now heading there may be 2 more but I’m not sure if they are real.

FYI..there are two on the Stern POTC as well!

#13239 33 days ago

nice, thanks!

#13240 33 days ago

If you find it post back!

#13241 33 days ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Excellent write up. Now... why select “Shot X “ on the compass like Karl does, and where is that shot located when you do? Thanks!

This would be some of that "depth and nuance" I mentioned.
To use ShotX, first collect it as an inlane award.

All inlane awards are collected the same way:

- Select it on the compass
- Complete PIRATE
- Shoot the pirate target to the left of the chest.

In the case of Shot X, this now flashes the 2x-6x multiplier targets. Hit one to choose a multiplier level, and it applies to your next shot.

If you're a pinball god like Karl, you can work this to huge advantage by teeing up the shot X, not collecting it until you have a huge rewarding shot ready, then activating it.

#13242 33 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

How come I know all that, including the inlanes, and still feel like I am clueless at times? Can anyone explain in the same, easy to understand language, the rest of the stuff?
Nice explanation, btw!

Has been posted before but I still say this thread is the best and simplest how to step by step written manual to understanding the depth of POTC. Would be amazing and helpful to all if others would contribute in finishing the tutorial for others (new) could benefit. Really is straight forward just learn 1 rule at a time and you’ll be plundering in no time!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simple-explanations-of-basic-goals-in-jjp-s-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#13243 33 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The one that is 100% officially a hidden Mickey is on the spinning disk.
I’m now heading there may be 2 more but I’m not sure if they are real.
FYI..there are two on the Stern POTC as well!

I found the one on the map, that's a pretty great one! I found one other spot that definitely has the shape of a hidden Mickey and may or may not have been intentional, and one spot that probably isn't intentional but could still be seen as being one. I don't want to say where they are if people want to look more. The first one is much bigger and more noticeable than the one on the map.

#13244 31 days ago

Last NIB Pirates LE heading North to Canada!

Potc LE (resized).jpg
#13245 31 days ago
Quoted from Vans:

Last NIB Pirates LE heading North to Canada![quoted image]

Dang, I was eyeballing that last one. Congrats. Anyone hear of any more out there let me know, really itching to buy this pin.

#13246 31 days ago

NIB Pirates CE #32 heading my way from Germany. Lots of imports lately Keep in mind (thanks to bbulkley), it was determined that the recommended course of action for power conversion to 110v is to contact JJP and purchase some parts as the manual is not entirely accurate!

Pirates_CE32 (resized).jpg
#13247 31 days ago

With all NIB seemingly taken. Remind me, what's the real reason JJP doesn't make more? Or another special edition? I don't really believe the capacity argument. They found room for special WOZ and clearly there is more demand for LE and CE pirates.

I too am looking for a LE or CE pirates

#13248 31 days ago
Quoted from Time:

With all NIB seemingly taken. Remind me, what's the real reason JJP doesn't make more? Or another special edition? I don't really believe the capacity argument. They found room for special WOZ and clearly there is more demand for LE and CE pirates.
I too am looking for a LE or CE too

Yep, makes no sense. This is the only pin I want to purchase right now. Nothing upcoming interests me from any company. My fear though is that they will give it the yellow woz treatment and mark them up to $11,500.

I wish they would announce another LE run of 500 games and keep them at $9,500.

#13249 31 days ago

But... why would a company listen to the market and act accordingly???

#13250 31 days ago

It took a year to sell the 650 LE's they made, so I can see why they'd just move on. In retrospect maybe they could have positioned the pin better in the market and sold more, but at this point you could chalk it up to experience. Producing more without guaranteed sales because it had potential is sunk cost fallacy thinking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Barbara, CA
There are 13696 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 274.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside