(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 378.
#12801 4 years ago

Thanks again guys! I'd love to find one of these!

#12802 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks again guys! I'd love to find one of these!

Good luck in your search...their not easy to come by even in the states.

#12803 4 years ago

I see one NIB LE available for sale but the price is ridiculous - $13,000.00.

#12804 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I see one NIB LE available for sale but the price is ridiculous - $13,000.00.

Depends on how bad you want one. There aren’t any more rolling off the lines, and those who own one aren’t giving them up any time soon. At least this one is NIB. I’m not saying -I’d- pay that much, but the game is now pretty rare, and is one of the top machines of all time. Ultra packed (but not too-dense) playfield, super fun rules, SUPER fun shots .. easy to start, hard to master... code update coming soon...

#12805 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Depends on how bad you want one. There aren’t any more rolling off the lines, and those who own one aren’t giving them up any time soon. At least this one is NIB. I’m not saying -I’d- pay that much, but the game is now pretty rare, and is one of the top machines of all time. Ultra packed (but not too-dense) playfield, super fun rules, SUPER fun shots .. easy to start, hard to master... code update coming soon...

Yes I agree. If I absolutely had to have it and didn’t have one yet I would probably pay that, but it’s ridiculous to be so greedy like that. That’s Capitalism for you. You can almost always get something you want, you just might have to pay through the nose to get it. I still can’t for the life of me figure out why Jersey Jack stopped making arguably the best pinball machine ever made. I know they had line issues and they had some design problems, and they were behind schedule with Wonka, but they seem to have fixed all that and the pin once dialed in works great and is absolutely incredible. It is highly loved and well known, plus they’ve already put all their money into design and all they need to do is start up the line and make new parts. I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually. I think it’s a shame only 1000 are out in the world. I feel very lucky to have one. However that does virtually guarantee our resale value if we ever decide to sell. I can’t see me ever selling my POTC. It’s my flag ship pin.

#12806 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I agree. If I absolutely had to have it and didn’t have one yet I would probably pay that, but it’s ridiculous to be so greedy like that. That’s Capitalism for you. You can get almost always get something you want, you just might have to pay through the nose to get it. I still can’t for the life of me figure out why Jersey Jack stopped making arguably the best pinball machine ever made. I know they had line issues and they had some design problems, and they were behind schedule with Wonka, but they seem to have fixed all that and the pin once dialed in works great and is absolutely incredible. It is highly loved and well known, plus they’ve already put all their money into design and all they need to do is start up the line and make new parts. I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually. I think it’s a shame only 1000 are out in the world. I feel very lucky to have one. However that does virtually guarantee our resale value if we ever decide to sell. I can’t see me ever selling my POTC. It’s my flag ship pin.

I have no idea either ... but I suspect the preorders being cancelled from the stupidity surrounding the spinning disc had something to do with it. Plus there’s almost NO way they had any sort of profit margin on this game. There’s just way too much stuff in there. Hopefully they can reuse some of the mech designs elsewhere.
I don’t play the game quite as often as when I first got it but it’s still a winner for sure

#12807 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have no idea either ... but I suspect the preorders being cancelled from the stupidity surrounding the spinning disc had something to do with it.

That is my theory too. I am sorry to say I was part of the problem, killing my preorder over it.
I wonder how many others ended up loving it and buying it after cancelling?

#12808 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That is my theory too.

well at least they incorporated the spinning disc on the screen....not as good as on playfield, but they probably saw some issues with dependability down the road.

With the 13K price, why don't you PM the guy to see what he'll take....he has 2 at that price and hasn't moved yet.

#12809 4 years ago

Sorry, just checked his post and he sold one already...just 1 left, but also 1 in Melbourne Australia

#12810 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

well at least they incorporated the spinning disc on the screen....not as good as on playfield, but they probably saw some issues with dependability down the road.

Not sure how to read this... are you saying that the spinning disks on the playfield were unreliable so they cancelled that idea (stopped them spinning in a code update perhaps) and replaced them with an animated version in the screen?

#12811 4 years ago

Not sure how to read this... are you saying that the spinning disks on the playfield were unreliable so they cancelled that idea (stopped them spinning in a code update perhaps) and replaced them with an animated version in the screen?

No still has a spinning mechanical disk. You could really get a lot of info from the online videos. Many of these Disk topics have been covered Thousands of times over a year.

#12812 4 years ago

Ok... last question... re the versions that were made... is there any version that is stripped down from an interactive toys/anything else front, or are the differences between versions just eye candy?

Thanks!

#12813 4 years ago

I’ve been trying to buy the one in Melbourne, but I haven’t heard back in about a week. I hope everything is ok and he’s just busy.

#12814 4 years ago

Ok... last question... re the versions that were made... is there any version that is stripped down from an interactive toys/anything else front, or are the differences between versions just eye candy?
Thanks!

Here you go, on the Jersey Jack Website. Your call. All play the same.

POTC-Matrix-New (dragged).pdfPOTC-Matrix-New (dragged).pdf
#12815 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I agree. If I absolutely had to have it and didn’t have one yet I would probably pay that, but it’s ridiculous to be so greedy like that. That’s Capitalism for you. You can get almost always get something you want, you just might have to pay through the nose to get it. I still can’t for the life of me figure out why Jersey Jack stopped making arguably the best pinball machine ever made. I know they had line issues and they had some design problems, and they were behind schedule with Wonka, but they seem to have fixed all that and the pin once dialed in works great and is absolutely incredible. It is highly loved and well known, plus they’ve already put all their money into design and all they need to do is start up the line and make new parts. I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually. I think it’s a shame only 1000 are out in the world. I feel very lucky to have one. However that does virtually guarantee our resale value if we ever decide to sell. I can’t see me ever selling my POTC. It’s my flag ship pin.

I think its clearly evident that JJP didn't make any $ on POTC, which is why production stopped. The game is so loaded with features its not really a surprise. My theory is if JJP decided to make more they would be "special" versions and sell for much higher than the original LE's. Just like they did with WOZ YBR that they sold for almost $12K....with the stupid prices people are paying some of the Stern LE games I think the $13K isn't completely out of line.

#12816 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I’ve been trying to buy the one in Melbourne, but I haven’t heard back in about a week. I hope everything is ok and he’s just busy.

I'm pretty sure the last one was bought by you unless he had more than one NIB lying around which I doubt especially in Australia.

#12817 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Not sure if its the same guy, but a distributor from Australia reached out about a month ago about a POTCLE. I think he wanted $10.5 delivered (flown to the states), and it had to be converted back to the correct voltage. With all the play field issues I was just nervous it had pooling issues so I passed, and was lucky enough to find a great HUO one locally.

#12818 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think its clearly evident that JJP didn't make any $ on POTC, which is why production stopped. The game is so loaded with features its not really a surprise. My theory is if JJP decided to make more they would be "special" versions and sell for much higher than the original LE's. Just like they did with WOZ YBR that they sold for almost $12K....with the stupid prices people are paying some of the Stern LE games I think the $13K isn't completely out of line.

But profit margins almost always go up with greater sales. If they stuck to it, I can’t see how they don’t make a profit. And if thier price estimates were off, just raise the price $500.00. It’s definitely worth it even at that price. It doesn’t really matter to me I already have one in fact mine is only going to be worth more if they don’t make anymore. I just wish there were more out there for people to buy some so many people want one.

#12819 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

But profit margins almost always go up with greater sales. If they stuck to it, I can’t see how they don’t make a profit. And if thier price estimates were off, just raise the price $500.00. It’s definitely worth it even at that price. It doesn’t really matter to me I already have one in fact mine is only going to be worth more if they don’t make anymore. I just wish there were more out there for people to buy some so many people want one.

Hence why the preorders being cancelled affected the game production. Projections were cut, and the risk of producing games that would just sit in inventory grew immensely with every cancellation. Then by the time demand built up, they had moved on to Wonka.

Somebody asked about the spinning disk and how the video version is not as good. It’s not as cool as an “oh wow!” Feature, no, but if you had played the original prototype, you’d realize (as JJP did) that it was not readable on the playfield so you’d know what reward you collected. The video version and the way they slowed the game down so you could read it is MUCH smarter.

I am starting to feel like the lack of a marketing arm at JJP is hurting them a bit, despite them coming out with these incredible games with each release. They could have salvaged the spinning disk by producing a video or YouTube comment about it, explaining the decision and giving it the appropriate positive spin. I’m sure it wouldn’t have saved everybody’s preorder but that’s just what you do when you’re needing to cut parts of a project.

#12820 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I agree that volume makes up for low margins, but in JJP case I highly doubt they have the cash reserves to front all the $ required to make thousands of these games. My guess is during a slow period they might do a small special run and call it the Black Pearl ? I'm hoping they do something so more can enjoy + they are out of stock on many parts, which is pretty worrisome to be honest.

#12821 4 years ago

I found one for sale in Europe, CE NIB... works out at $16.2k delivered... seems a bit pricy to me... but it IS a CE NIB!! Any idea how many CEs were made?

#12822 4 years ago

I found one for sale in Europe, CE NIB... works out at $16.2k delivered... seems a bit pricy to me... but it IS a CE NIB!! Any idea how many CEs were made?

Believe it or not, the Standard Version is the rarest of all. Fewer of those made than any other.

#12823 4 years ago

#12824 4 years ago

No idea, but they limited the run to 200 units (see chart above) ... considering they were $12.5K + shipping in the states .... $16K doesn't sound completely out of whack

#12825 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No idea, but they limited the run to 200 units (see chart above) ... considering they were $12.5K + shipping in the states .... $16K doesn't sound completely out of whack

Ah yeah, I wasn't paying attention, as usual need to give it some serious thought! Also there would be import tax to pay, on top of shipping...

#12826 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually.

There is only so much demand for $9k-13k pinball machines in the world and sales of POTC where obviously much softer than expected. Combined with a high level of quality issues due to assembly mistakes and an unforgiving design, it's no surprise they cut bait and moved on to a simpler, less costly, more popular theme like Wonka. I wouldn't bet against them making more but give it 50/50 at best. There are more options then ever for the small number of collectors willing to spend over $10k, and I doubt a theme like POTC has strong, current appeal to the other man-cave and operator market segments. Maybe they could confidently plan on selling 100-200 more copies of a simplified version, i.e. no monkey mech strategy, priced at $12k delivered, but unlike WOZ that has never really been out of production, it would probably take a lot of effort to restart the POTC supply chain and production for relatively small total profits. This seems like a losing strategy for a company that has struggled to generate steady cash flow and profit streams.

#12827 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

There is only so much demand for $9k-13k pinball machines in the world and sales of POTC where obviously much softer than expected. Combined with a high level of quality issues due to assembly mistakes and an unforgiving design, it's no surprise they cut bait and moved on to a simpler, less costly, more popular theme like Wonka. I wouldn't bet against them making more but give it 50/50 at best. There are more options then ever for the small number of collectors willing to spend over $10k, and I doubt a theme like POTC has strong, current appeal to the other man-cave and operator market segments. Maybe they could confidently plan on selling 100-200 more copies of a simplified version, i.e. no monkey mech strategy, priced at $12k delivered, but unlike WOZ that has never really been out of production, it would probably take a lot of effort to restart the POTC supply chain and production for relatively small total profits. This seems like a losing strategy for a company that has struggled to generate steady cash flow and profit streams.

I don't know man seems like quite a bit of demand for games games $10+. You have Stern games selling for far more and their not even close to POTC (i.e Elvira). I would argue that the Pirates theme is far more popular than Wonka...lets hope make more units because they don't have many parts in stock, which is a big problem.

#12828 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Believe it or not, the Standard Version is the rarest of all. Fewer of those made than any other.

The stats I saw were 1,000 overall, 200 CEs, about 680 LEs and less than 100 standards.

#12829 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I respect your opinion but disagree. The theme is hugely popular and I don’t think that popularity is going away anytime soon.

#12830 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

The stats I saw were 1,000 overall, 200 CEs, about 680 LEs and less than 100 standards.

wow I didn't realize the numbers were that low

#12831 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I respect your opinion but disagree. The theme is hugely popular and I don’t think that popularity is going away anytime soon.

I certainly could be wrong and hopefully they will make more. Just skeptical given how weak it originally sold. Seems like the community has largely moved on, and JJP may be its own toughest competition if Eric hits another home run with GR.

#12832 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I certainly could be wrong and hopefully they will make more. Just skeptical given how weak it originally sold. Seems like the community has largely moved on, and JJP may be its own toughest competition if Eric hits another home run with GR.

We will have to see. Is it confirmed Eric is the designer for Guns ‘n’ Roses? It does seem like POTC is the most popular machine that none are available for.

#12833 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Jack told me in person months ago that there were 150 Standards, 650 LEs, and 200 CEs. When they get around to building more, and that is just a matter of time, they will build only the LE. Jack basically said as much.

#12834 4 years ago

What are the LE games going for now! I'm interested in getting one if reasonable, but I do think next year Jack will be running more.

#12836 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What are the LE games going for now! I'm interested in getting one if reasonable, but I do think next year Jack will be running more.

As there are more Wanted adds then listings the prices are basically a sellers market at this point. Highly doubt many LE’s will sell for less then original asking price. I also personally do not think they will run this title again unless they drastically hike the price as they did with WOZ. My bet says not going to happen. Add to that I believe license is up in 2020.

#12837 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As there are more Wanted adds then listings the prices are basically a sellers market at this point. Highly doubt many LE’s will sell for less then original asking price. I also personally do not think they will run this title again unless they drastically hike the price as they did with WOZ. My bet says not going to happen. Add to that I believe license is up in 2020.

Just a demand issue really, as the license can be renewed. WOZ kept coming back, and I’d bet the same here.

#12838 4 years ago

Maybe JJP should “pre-sell” a couple hundred games with a non refundable deposit like Spooky. This would sort out the real demand for a $11.5k YBR type version with minimal risk to both sides.

#12839 4 years ago

I'll let mine go for $30k. Comes with a free Supreme sticker.

#12840 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Just a demand issue really, as the license can be renewed. WOZ kept coming back, and I’d bet the same here.

Possible but a WOZ license is not the same as a Disney license. To expensive in my opinion to buy again on limited interest and a cost prohibitive build. Hope I’m wrong but I think we will have to live with owning the best game possibly ever made. Not a bad thing.

#12841 4 years ago

Costs are less to license with the lack of video content. Why would JJP leave money on the table? They could easily sell 1000 more. Anyhow, I enjoyed owning it, and might have another someday.

#12842 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My guess is during a slow period they might do a small special run and call it the Black Pearl ?

This is pretty much what someone at Jersey Jack said to me. Not that this is their definite plan, but rather what they'd like to do if the logistics work out.

#12843 4 years ago

I think it would be great if JJP made the game again, but I have my doubts. Clearly they didn't make enough money selling mostly LE's and CE's at their original retail pricing. If they do make the game I would expect a big price jump (like YBR numbers)....its by far JJP's best game to date. My guess is they could easily sell a couple hundred units at YBR pricing.

#12844 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Costs are less to license with the lack of video content. Why would JJP leave money on the table?

This has been discussed to death in the past. Each actor ( 23 ) owned their own video and audio rights, not Disney, and the only Disney movie like this as far as I know.

So you have to make a deal, your people and their attorney and agent. Some might not cost much, some a lot. Then get the audio/video you want to use. Put it in the game, and get Disney's approval, and then use it or not and continue or start over.

Heaven knows how much money and time this would all chew up. Easily double the cost of the game and delay it many more years.

In spite of everything. Eric made us a great game. With what he had to work with.

LTG : )

#12845 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has been discussed to death in the past. Each actor ( 23 ) owned their own video and audio rights, not Disney, and the only Disney movie like this as far as I know.
So you have to make a deal, your people and their attorney and agent. Some might not cost much, some a lot. Then get the audio/video you want to use. Put it in the game, and get Disney's approval, and then use it or not and continue or start over.
Heaven knows how much money and time this would all chew up. Easily double the cost of the game and delay it many more years.
In spite of everything. Eric made us a great game. With what he had to work with.

Yeah, always best to live in the present. If you think it is unlikely, that is significant. Jack seemed to think it might happen during slow times between games, but wasn't definite for sure. Time will tell.

#12846 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'll let mine go for $30k. Comes with a free Supreme sticker.

Hilarious! I understand in theory why the Supreme label on anything sells but come on IMHO the barest, lamest, most boring pin design ever created. And they didn’t even do a new layout for $25,000.00 that’s just crazy to me. For that price you should get a unique playfield not a relabeled Spider-Man playfield.

#12847 4 years ago

I'm guessing they run a few hundred more next year. However, if they don't, how likely is getting replacement parts going to factor into long term issues? That's my main concern is that I'm not confident that they maintain parts long term. Thoughts on this?

#12848 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if Chow Yun Fat had a special deal that made him more difficult. I always thought it was odd that some minor characters like Scrum, Cotton and Marty were included but Sao Feng wasn't.

#12849 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm guessing they run a few hundred more next year. However, if they don't, how likely is getting replacement parts going to factor into long term issues? That's my main concern is that I'm not confident that they maintain parts long term. Thoughts on this?

I'm with ya...its a real concern...doesn't say much about JJP's future if they don't even stock spare parts. I wish them the best, but its a bad sign.

#12850 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm with ya...its a real concern...doesn't say much about JJP's future if they don't even stock spare parts. I wish them the best, but its a bad sign.

I was told they were going to keep stocking parts they had just run out of parts. I was initially worried about this as well but Shannon told me they were going to restock.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Wanted
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/257?hl=screaminsauce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.