(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 12,241 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 minutes ago by GnarLee
  • Topic is favorited by 218 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,181 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

75687E0B-267E-4DA6-ABED-D3A6C8C9C98D (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190915-222132_Photos (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190915-222121_Photos (resized).jpg
0937040F-BBA3-46CB-AFDA-721F611E5F15 (resized).jpeg
6912C593-1F4E-479E-B945-19BF1F86ECC7 (resized).jpeg
E10A127A-9157-4760-87A3-37A9D30FDE0C (resized).jpeg
DC5218F7-72E3-49C3-8418-FE9D909590BA (resized).jpeg
507E2A3F-5370-4332-9895-AAE50685E37D (resized).jpeg
351415CD-68E4-4A02-8942-B8217785F843 (resized).jpeg
3DFA1845-8B6C-4963-A0D9-FA4351A7EA5A (resized).jpeg
BD2DA509-58CE-4FEA-96EB-0BDC54231D08 (resized).jpeg
EE8040A8-B8D0-4FAC-9634-F42D6808FCB9 (resized).jpeg
53155467-5801-49BC-9A99-01BA5543AF3A (resized).jpeg
887C5034-5E98-44FB-9338-EB8DC73CFC4D (resized).jpeg
06EB0FB5-EE9C-4B99-BFF6-B4808CB148C7 (resized).jpeg
2FCECF80-7388-4392-B7A7-07F183FB1D50 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12241 posts in this topic. You are on page 243 of 245.
#12101 6 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m having an annoying issue. I keep having balls get lost when get go behind the BP via skill shot, port royal or any soft soft around the loop. Game goes into search mode and eventually the ball is released into the BP (VUK) and to the playfield.

I was having a similar issue. Try raising the front legs so the game is at less of an incline and see if it happens less often.
I think the ball sometimes gets stuck in the subway leading to the VUK, as there is not much of an incline in the subway. The higher the incline of the game, the less of an incline in that subway.

#12102 6 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m having an annoying issue. I keep having balls get lost when get go behind the BP via skill shot, port royal or any soft soft around the loop. Game goes into search mode and eventually the ball is released into the BP (VUK) and to the playfield. I did notice the VUK has a hard time pushing the ball up into the BP. The ball makes it to the BP when the VUK fires and the BP is tilted to the left. I’m pretty sure this is what I saw. The VUK tries for a few times and then stops. Thinking the BP may be too far back or something? My daughter played a game and she hit the port royal lane. Ball got lost for a good long while. Anybody know what it’s going on here?
Also, is it normal for this wireform to be slanted like this? Thanks![quoted image]

Mine is a bit wonky too, most likely from removing the Pearl ramp, and not finding the sweet spot once reassembled.

#12103 6 days ago
Quoted from T7:

I was having a similar issue. Try raising the front legs so the game is at less of an incline and see if it happens less often.
I think the ball sometimes gets stuck in the subway leading to the VUK, as there is not much of an incline in the subway. The higher the incline of the game, the less of an incline in that subway.

I’m already pretty high back there. The level bubble is all the way to the apron side. I’m going to remove the BP very soon to install cliffy’s and whatnot. Hoping to find the reason for this very annoying lost ball issue. If anybody has a fix for this, please let me know.

What about the wireform? Is that normal?

#12104 6 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Mine is a bit wonky too, most likely from removing the Pearl ramp, and not finding the sweet spot once reassembled.

Are you also getting lost balls back there?

#12105 6 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Do you still have that big gap between the BP and the ramp? Can you lift up the BP (meaning it is not in the mounting pins all the way)?
If the VUK isn't kicking the ball up with enough force then you can change the setting and increase the power. Most people have turned it down because it had so much force it was hitting the spinner optos on the BP. You want just enough power to make it up the VUK scoop. This really only applies if the issue is the ball isn't getting kicked up with enough force the first time. If the ball gets lost first then I would check the VUK switch and just roll the ball in there manually in test mode and see if the switch registers each time and if the VUK fires properly.
I don't know how many times it might try to kick it up the VUK before stopping. I know that other coils stop after a bunch of tries (like the chest release, if the optos aren't aligned). So depending on what the sequence of events is, maybe it's hunting for the ball after not being able to kick it up?
If the ball is having trouble when the ship is tilted, I go back to my first questions. If the BP isn't installed right or there is a broken mount then it likely is not aligned well for the VUK. It's somewhat tight clearances back there and I could see the ship blocking the exit.
That ramp shouldn't be tilted, no. How's the top end of that near the BP? Is the BP clear ramp aligned now? Is the wireform inserted in to that ramp properly? If so, worst case you can use some channel lock pliers and a rag to bend that front mount a bit.

Well, yes and no. I pulled the BP and the gap got a lot closer to the point I can play the game now BUT I know that’s not normal. I’ll report my findings in a few days. Thanks!

#12106 6 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are you also getting lost balls back there?

No. I did get some stuck on the diverter on the left side of the ramp. I tried the lil plastic furniture nubby on top of the screw trick via ZaphX.

#12107 6 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

No. I did get some stuck on the diverter on the left side of the ramp. I tried the lil plastic furniture nubby on top of the screw trick via ZaphX.

Is this to lift the ramp on that side?

#12108 6 days ago

I did my cliffy's tonight at last. Pretty happy with the results, both scoops had some wear which is now hidden away.

58984966665__C5C9CF97-7944-4A49-AEC3-5ECCCE2D6800.jpgIMG_1609.jpegIMG_1608.jpegIMG_1610.jpegIMG_1616.jpeg58985290109__AD22CE74-FA73-4FA9-9D4E-078B0E3B0F35.jpg
#12109 6 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Also, is it normal for this wireform to be slanted like this?

That ramp shouldn't be tilted, no. How's the top end of that near the BP? Is the BP clear ramp aligned now? Is the wireform inserted in to that ramp properly? If so, worst case you can use some channel lock pliers and a rag to bend that front mount a bit.

Don't do this ^^^ as the middle of the wire form will likely deform with the way it is designed. My attachment post was even bent.

I had the same issue. Is the wire form at the other end contacting the top of the twirling pop bumper under the ramp (LE) and also the top of the Tortuga scoop? I had that. I got another wire form and it was twisted the same way. To help resolve 2 of the 3 issues, I bent the right side wire form connection to the BP (bent it down maybe 1/8-1/4") using two sets of channel locks to not break the wire form connections to itself. Use a rag to protect the surface finish if you can. Be very careful with it though. I think a few of us got some wire forms that were twisted out of tolerance. On most pins, the wire form isn't touching the Tortuga scoop.

Just my input on it ...

#12110 6 days ago

Has anyone else installed the cannon shield from pinballlife.com? It sites next to the BP to prevent any damage from ricocheting cannon shots. I ordered mine and they have a picture (below) that shows where it goes, but not really how it gets attached. It is hard to tell if it sits on the plastic piece next to the chest or the star map plastic. If anyone has any other pictures or instructions that would be great. Thanks!
cannon_shield (resized).jpg

#12111 6 days ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Has anyone else installed the cannon shield from pinballlife.com? It sites next to the BP to prevent any damage from ricocheting cannon shots. I ordered mine and they have a picture (below) that shows where it goes, but not really how it gets attached. It is hard to tell if it sits on the plastic piece next to the chest or the star map plastic. If anyone has any other pictures or instructions that would be great. Thanks!
[quoted image]

I have one too and never installed it.

#12112 6 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Don't do this ^^^ as the middle of the wire form will likely deform with the way it is designed. My attachment post was even bent.
I had the same issue. Is the wire form at the other end contacting the top of the twirling pop bumper under the ramp (LE) and also the top of the Tortuga scoop? I had that. I got another wire form and it was twisted the same way. To help resolve 2 of the 3 issues, I bent the right side wire form connection to the BP (bent it down maybe 1/8-1/4") using two sets of channel locks to not break the wire form connections to itself. Use a rag to protect the surface finish if you can. Be very careful with it though. I think a few of us got some wire forms that were twisted out of tolerance. On most pins, the wire form isn't touching the Tortuga scoop.
Just my input on it ...

Yeah, one end or the other. I don't see how slightly bending the mounting tab would deform the middle. I'm just talking about the "foot" that sits on the plastic. And you can easily bend the middle back in to shape as well with your hands. Maybe I just man handle mine more than others, lol.

#12113 6 days ago
Quoted from Galooch:

[quoted image]

I have it installed. It sits under the two nuts that hold down the plastic over the star map. I was able to get a small wrench in there to raise the nuts off. The narrow protective plastic above the nuts is held by a flexible rubber piece so I was able to lift and twist it enough to get at the nuts and slide the new Pearl protector on without removing that top plastic. I recommend trying (without forcing it too much so you don’t break the rubber connector) to do it that way first because I found one time that I wasn’t able to get the flexible rubber pieces for the top plastic back through it without removing the rubber connector from the star map because it was just too flexible, and then you might be down a path of removing the Black Pearl just to get that rubber connector piece back on. You should be able to do the install without disconnecting the top plastic protector though. Here are a couple pictures where I circled the nuts that have to be removed. Hope this helps.

B3DFC181-E06E-4723-B4DB-3EE6926BBEF7 (resized).jpegB5F05FF9-B663-4448-B484-28AC16097E1E (resized).jpeg
#12114 6 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Also, is it normal for this wireform to be slanted like this? Thanks![quoted image]

My wire is twisted a bit at the end the exact same way. Hasn’t been an issue for me. The only problem I had with the wire was it was a bit too low by the Tortuga Tom pop bumper and it caught balls sometimes, but I just slightly bent it up in that spot and it’s all good.

#12115 6 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

My wire is twisted a bit at the end the exact same way. Hasn’t been an issue for me. The only problem I had with the wire was it was a bit too low by the Tortuga Tom pop bumper and it caught balls sometimes, but I just slightly bent it up in that spot and it’s all good.

One less thing to worry about, Thanks!

#12116 6 days ago

Do you still have that big gap between the BP and the ramp? Can you lift up the BP (meaning it is not in the mounting pins all the way)?
If the VUK isn't kicking the ball up with enough force then you can change the setting and increase the power. Most people have turned it down because it had so much force it was hitting the spinner optos on the BP. You want just enough power to make it up the VUK scoop. This really only applies if the issue is the ball isn't getting kicked up with enough force the first time. If the ball gets lost first then I would check the VUK switch and just roll the ball in there manually in test mode and see if the switch registers each time and if the VUK fires properly.
I don't know how many times it might try to kick it up the VUK before stopping. I know that other coils stop after a bunch of tries (like the chest release, if the optos aren't aligned). So depending on what the sequence of events is, maybe it's hunting for the ball after not being able to kick it up?
If the ball is having trouble when the ship is tilted, I go back to my first questions. If the BP isn't installed right or there is a broken mount then it likely is not aligned well for the VUK. It's somewhat tight clearances back there and I could see the ship blocking the exit.

I’ll take a look tomorrow but the machine plays fine. Ball rolls normally on that wireform.

#12117 6 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Just my input on it ...

Did you get a free replacement from JJP?

#12118 6 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I have it installed. It sits under the two nuts that hold down the plastic over the star map. I was able to get a small wrench in there to raise the nuts off. The narrow protective plastic above the nuts is held by a flexible rubber piece so I was able to lift and twist it enough to get at the nuts and slide the new Pearl protector on without removing that top plastic. I recommend trying (without forcing it too much so you don’t break the rubber connector) to do it that way first because I found one time that I wasn’t able to get the flexible rubber pieces for the top plastic back through it without removing the rubber connector from the star map because it was just too flexible, and then you might be down a path of removing the Black Pearl just to get that rubber connector piece back on. You should be able to do the install without disconnecting the top plastic protector though. Here are a couple pictures where I circled the nuts that have to be removed. Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image]

That back nut is a real bastard.

I installed it initially, was fine. I had to take the Pearl off again, and all of a sudden the shield was tapping the Pearl when rocking......

#12119 6 days ago

Yeah, one end or the other. I don't see how slightly bending the mounting tab would deform the middle. I'm just talking about the "foot" that sits on the plastic. And you can easily bend the middle back in to shape as well with your hands. Maybe I just man handle mine more than others, lol.

The foot wasn't the problem with mine. When I removed the nut from the (bent) post, the wire form twisted up even more. Bending the foot would just put even more stress on the post to bend it more (in my case at least). Twisting the wire form into shape (if possible without breaking the structure welds) would cause the wire form to interfere with the Tortuga scoop even more. I'm sure that it's "possible" to man handle the wire form enough to make it work, but what I was seeing is that the result would cause the ball to fall off of the wire form. It was a no win solution for me going that route. Even what I did with bending it at the BP connection is not ideal, but it works. It still is slightly bent at the bottom, but only I really notice it.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Did you get a free replacement from JJP?

What I did (and advise you to do also just in case) is use the photo you have, take another one with the post attachment disconnected showing that it twists even more and that it is not the post connection that is causing it. A side by side photo showing the twisting comparison with and without it attached would be a good visual. Then take photos of the clearance or contact at the Tortuga scoop, and at the top pop bumper and BP connection. Send that to Steve at JJP and ask for advise on how to resolve the issue. If he suggests trying to man handle the wire form, go for it. But to keep the warranty valid in case you break it, have him direct you to do it first. Steve may just send you another wire form as a warranty issue if it is twisted as much as mine was. CC your distributor on all of the communication emails so that he can help to move things along if need be.

#12120 6 days ago

any reason why a cliffy wasn’t made for the bayou hole?

#12121 6 days ago

Before I make a full on market ad, anyone interested in a gorgeous CE, fully loaded?

Investing in some real estate, so prefer to sell pins over a mortgage

Drop me a PM if so.

#12122 6 days ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Hopefully picking my LE this weekend. Always good to hear the accolades. I’ve owned Woz a couple of times. Certainly a crap ton going on with that but I never thought it was a huge amount of fun (sacrilege?) it was fun but just not great. DILE was similar for me. I liked Hobbit and had it for a long while.
POTC looks to me like it has a ton of stuff with great rules and flow. Can’t wait to delve into this.

I have WoZ, Hobbit and PoTC... All of them are impressive. But Pirates is the clear winner. It's a shame that more people will never get to experience this game.

#12123 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

any reason why a cliffy wasn’t made for the bayou hole?

There is! Cliff has a "new extended set" for the PTOC. A protector over the raw wood on the BP at the ramp, and a Carbon Fiber protector that looks like snake skin for the Bayou.

#12124 5 days ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

There is! Cliff has a "new extended set" for the PTOC. A protector over the raw wood on the BP at the ramp, and a Carbon Fiber protector that looks like snake skin for the Bayou.

Link/pics? I'm gonna need this stuff.

#12125 5 days ago

Is this new since early May? That was when I ordered the set but wasn’t included.

#12126 5 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Link/pics? I'm gonna need this stuff.

Contact Cliff. These are brand new and I do not think on his website yet, but he is making them. : )

bayou-cf-002 (resized).jpgpotc-mpf-edge-001 (resized).jpg
#12127 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is this new since early May? That was when I ordered the set but wasn’t included.

Yes sir, I believe these are new as of August. These two install in seconds. Very easy. : )

#12128 5 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I have it installed. It sits under the two nuts that hold down the plastic over the star map. I was able to get a small wrench in there to raise the nuts off. The narrow protective plastic above the nuts is held by a flexible rubber piece so I was able to lift and twist it enough to get at the nuts and slide the new Pearl protector on without removing that top plastic. I recommend trying (without forcing it too much so you don’t break the rubber connector) to do it that way first because I found one time that I wasn’t able to get the flexible rubber pieces for the top plastic back through it without removing the rubber connector from the star map because it was just too flexible, and then you might be down a path of removing the Black Pearl just to get that rubber connector piece back on. You should be able to do the install without disconnecting the top plastic protector though.

Awesome. Thanks!

#12129 5 days ago

One on pearl looks good the bayou not sure I like. It’s the same as mode scoop on IJ but at least it’s hidden there.

#12130 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

One on pearl looks good the bayou not sure I like. It’s the same as mode scoop on IJ but at least it’s hidden there.

Same thoughts here. I'd like a bayou that's like Tortuga.

#12131 5 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Same thoughts here. I'd like a bayou that's like Tortuga.

Perhaps even a slightly thinner profile would work so it doesn’t stick out as much.

#12132 5 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I did my cliffy's tonight at last. Pretty happy with the results, both scoops had some wear which is now hidden away.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the washer sticks out a bit into the tortuga hole on yours as well.

My ball impacts the washer occasionally, you have any concerns of the ball getting finger up?

#12133 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks like the washer sticks out a bit into the tortuga hole on yours as well.
My ball impacts the washer occasionally, you have any concerns of the ball getting finger up?

Nah. I bought a big box of pinballs and replace them every 500-800 plays.

#12134 5 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Nah. I bought a big box of pinballs and replace them every 500-800 plays.

I guess i didn’t ask the question properly.

It isn’t so much that I worry about the ball being scratched up but one burr in a ball can tear the living shit out of a PF.

Any concerns with that?

I replace mine every 500 plays as well but you just don’t when a burr will show up?
I think it’s equally as bad as the t-nut to be honest and at peast on mine the washer has a sharper edge than the t-nut at map hole.

#12135 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It isn’t so much that I worry about the ball being scratched up but one burr in a ball can tear the living shit out of a PF.
Any concerns with that?
I replace mine every 500 plays as well but you just don’t when a burr will show up?
I think it’s equally as bad as the t-nut to be honest and at peast on mine the washer has a sharper edge than the t-nut at map hole.

Speaking of T nuts, where is the one that could be a problem?

#12136 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any concerns with that?

Not a concern for me...with all the plays on this machine I haven’t had a problem. That said you could probably just remove the washer if you wanted, given there’s a cliffy now.

#12137 5 days ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Speaking of T nuts, where is the one that could be a problem?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/10#post-4966440

I put a rubber bumper above it and that prevented it from damaging the balls if you don't want to pull it out and shave it down.

#12138 5 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any concerns with that?

There was that issue with the large washer at the shooter rail guard also.

#12139 5 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/10#post-4966440
I put a rubber bumper above it and that prevented it from damaging the balls if you don't want to pull it out and shave it down.

Can you post a pic of that rubber bumper?

#12140 5 days ago

Contact Cliff. These are brand new and I do not think on his website yet, but he is making them. : )[quoted image][quoted image]

why do we need this on the Boyou hole? Isn't there Mylar to protect, plus the inside is protected with metal as well.

#12141 5 days ago

also, has anyone noticed how fast your flipper rubbers get dirty on this game. I've waxed it twice already with under 60 plays

#12142 5 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

also, has anyone noticed how fast your flipper rubbers get dirty on this game. I've waxed it twice already with under 60 plays

I have noticed this and also on Wonka. My theory is that because the games use magnets, and we can't use chromed balls, the balls generate more dust.

Titan flipper rubbers don't seem to absorb as much of the dust, they wipe clean easily. They also don't wear through the tips as quickly.

#12143 5 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Titan flipper rubbers don't seem to absorb as much of the dust, they wipe clean easily. They also don't wear through the tips as quickly.

Great point....now I need to buy some Titans.

#12144 5 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Thanks I'll check it tonight

#12145 5 days ago

I just received an email from Jack ... he is sending a new playfield from the next batch from Germany. Kudos and a thank you to Jack for stepping up.

Overall, I am thrilled with my purchase and hope to buy another JJP pin in the future (hopefully a Toy Story if it has a great sound package)

#12146 5 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Can you post a pic of that rubber bumper?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/209#post-5040853

I actually switched to a felt piece when I put in Cliffy's. I just wanted something thick enough to keep the ball from hitting the t-nut, but not too big to cause rejects from the MAP hole. I had the opportunity to grind down the t-nut when I had the ship off to put in the protectors, but I was more worried about the problems I would cause getting the t-nut out. I do not trust myself to grind the t-nut in place and catch all the shavings. Metal shavings and pinball do not mix.

#12147 5 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Yes. My approach was to simply keep the ball off of the t-nut. Pulling it out and grinding it may bring a new set of problems.

What new set of problems do you speak of?

#12148 5 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What new set of problems do you speak of?

Well ... to get the t-nut out, it looked like a significant level of part removal from underneath the playfield. Plus, I am not sure I would be able to back out the t-nut and put it back in without causing more trouble. Nothing more than that. I was probably more worried about my ineptitude than anything else. I just didn't want to risk it when the solution I had was working fine. I don't get rejects from the MAP hole.

#12149 5 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Well ... to get the t-nut out, it looked like a significant level of part removal from underneath the playfield.

With the playfield in the upright position I hand filed the t nut down which took all of 5 minutes. All the filings stayed in the bottom of the trough. Vacuumed out and then wiped out well too. It's a 10 minute fix at best.

#12150 5 days ago

With the playfield in the upright position I hand filed the t nut down which took all of 5 minutes. All the filings stayed in the bottom of the trough. Vacuumed out and then wiped out well too. It's a 10 minute fix at best.

Next time I get the ship out ...

Thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 43.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
14,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blacklick, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 12241 posts in this topic. You are on page 243 of 245.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside