(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 377.
#11601 4 years ago

I sure hope they make more of this great game.
Advanced breakable details and small series, makes for a risk of lack of spare parts.

#11602 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

From Jack’s comments, it just seems like the game itself plus parts plus support was not representing a high enough (or any?) profit for the company. Makes sense - they have to make money to stay in business. We have benefitted obviously
Jack said on TWIP that they would really need to talk at the company to discuss another run - that implies to me that the BOM is high and the investors want to see green, not red. But I’m speculating obviously. I think the stupid bullshit about the chest and the map spinner really hurt the company, too - it’s possible they had to take on loans after all the preorders were cancelled, and that would add expense to the game. Looks incredible stupid in hindsight, given that there’s a $100 mod to make the chest work, and the map spinner was not going to be practical to read on the game anyway. The video map spinner is way better

I’m sure a lot of discussion happened in the background that we will never completely be in the know about. I’m positive the bottom line was money without doubt. I agree also that the chest and spinning ring fiasco had some part in this. It’s a shame as I and a lot of other people would like an opportunity to own one. I wonder if there is a way to quantify how much money they (JJP) are leaving on the table due to this very short production run? There will be other pins that this Potc money will go towards. Maybe it will be Jersey maybe not.

#11603 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I’m sure a lot of discussion happened in the background that we will never completely be in the know about. I’m positive the bottom line was money without doubt. I agree also that the chest and spinning ring fiasco had some part in this. It’s a shame as I and a lot of other people would like an opportunity to own one. I wonder if there is a way to quantify how much money they (JJP) are leaving on the table due to this very short production run? There will be other pins that this Potc money will go towards. Maybe it will be Jersey maybe not.

Well keep in mind - if they did another run at the current pricing structure - they wouldn’t be leaving money on the table; they’d be losing it. This game might have to be sold at $13K. Imagine the complaining

#11604 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

What I'm curious about is why JJP is so quiet on this? There is the thread guessing if they would make more and why or why not POTC did great or tanked. With all this talk, why wouldn't JJP (Jack) just come out and give everyone a "state of the state of POTC". By giving us the reason why production was cut short, summary of why there were problems (more so than their other pins) a possible future for more productions or not a future for more productions, availability of replacement parts and finally a vision for future updates. I'm not a business person but this could only build a lot of goodwill and loyalty to JJP. I do agree this pinball machine is amazing and love it just the way it is. I just wish I could understand the thinking behind it straight from them, other than guessing and rumors.

#11605 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

What I'm curious about is why JJP is so quiet on this? There is the thread guessing if they would make more and why or why not POTC did great or tanked. With all this talk, why wouldn't JJP (Jack) just come out and give everyone a "state of the state of POTC". By giving us the reason why production was cut short, summary of why there were problems (more so than their other pins) a possible future for more productions or not a future for more productions, availability of replacement parts and finally a vision for future updates. I'm not a business person but this could only build a lot of goodwill and loyalty to JJP. I do agree this pinball machine is amazing and love it just the way it is. I just wish I could understand the thinking behind it straight from them, other than guessing and rumors.

Well, doing so would be an “official” statement from the company - they may not be ready to do something like that. All stakeholders need to agree to make an official statement - they may not at this point.

#11606 4 years ago

First problem just popped up.Game not taking game over pics. Did a factory reset which did not help.Went into the camera test and came back camera not found.Anyone see this yet. Thanks

#11607 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

First problem just popped up.Game not taking game over pics. Did a factory reset which did not help.Went into the camera test and came back camera not found.Anyone see this yet. Thanks

Likely the USB cable got loose. Open the backbox, move the monitor out of the way, and check the USB plugs into the computer (the big silver box). The USB plugs must go into the exact ports they are currently plugged into. Check that one hasn’t shaken loose

#11608 4 years ago

Can someone explain to me what Souls represent in Liar’s Dice?

#11609 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I expect (though admittedly have not confirmed) that the camera is just a USB web camera and ends up plugged into the motherboard at one of the USB ports.

Check them out and see if one is loose/not fully seated.

#11610 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Characters collected in modes. There is a high score for this at the end of the game, so doubling your real number of characters in liars dice is likely to get you on to the high score table for this.

#11611 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Characters collected in modes. There is a high score for this at the end of the game, so doubling your real number of characters in liars dice is likely to get you on to the high score table for this.

Thanks for clarifying!

#11612 4 years ago

Yes it doubles your characters collected. It does not however increase you score level for wizard modes so it literally is only for the high score table. Any other option is probably better.

#11613 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Gotcha - that's sort of what I thought, but I was thinking in terms of completing modes, and couldn't figure out how they would apply. Obviously this makes a huge difference with the score.

speaking of which: what are people setting their scoring extra balls to? I like turning this on as a way of making a certain bit of progress (i.e. I don't feel like I've had a good game unless I get a score worthy of an extra ball), but I'm not sure what the 'right' score is.

#11614 4 years ago

Harry Houdini's "Apron Art" Upgraded Decal Set and Full Width Galaxy Starmap Backboard Plastic installed on my CE

20190731_121309 (resized).jpg20190731_121309 (resized).jpg
#11616 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Harry Houdini's "Apron Art" Upgraded Decal Set and Full Width Galaxy Starmap Backboard Plastic installed on my CE[quoted image]

Looks awesome. Wait till you dress up the pearl with his window mod. Highly recommend.

We just got DP premium last night and my teenage daughter who never says anything nice about the pinballs (or anything nice) commented on how much better pirates looks. She appreciated how intricate it all was. She then went back to her room and closed the door for the rest of the night. Until she opened it for a short while to ask “where’s my cup of tea?”

#11617 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Looks awesome. Wait till you dress up the pearl with his window mod. Highly recommend.
We just got DP premium last night and my teenage daughter who never says anything nice about the pinballs (or anything nice) commented on how much better pirates looks. She appreciated how intricate it all was. She then went back to her room and closed the door for the rest of the night. Until she opened it for a short while to ask “where’s my cup of tea?”

LOL

#11618 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Speaking of Liar's Dice, the game cheats, all the time, we never win!

#11619 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Speaking of Liar's Dice, the game cheats, all the time, we never win!

I've won a couple of times. But yeah, it's rare.

#11620 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha - that's sort of what I thought, but I was thinking in terms of completing modes, and couldn't figure out how they would apply. Obviously this makes a huge difference with the score.
speaking of which: what are people setting their scoring extra balls to? I like turning this on as a way of making a certain bit of progress (i.e. I don't feel like I've had a good game unless I get a score worthy of an extra ball), but I'm not sure what the 'right' score is.

I started the award at 100k when I first got the game to keep me working at it. I’ve since changed that to 400K and will soon set it at 600 or 800. Just like you said, gives you a reward for playing better while keeping you playing to get better.

#11621 4 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I started the award at 100k when I first got the game to keep me working at it. I’ve since changed that to 400K and will soon set it at 600 or 800. Just like you said, gives you a reward for playing better while keeping you playing to get better.

Exactly! Those seem like good settings for me too

#11622 4 years ago

So one of the bulbs on the spotlights failed tonight. Started flickering then died...I emailed frank since I’m still under warranty but is there is a source of these bulbs for future? They are not the typical 12v LED Wedge...They have two 90k ohm resistors in line it appears...

#11623 4 years ago

Starting to consistently get a “target ship switch stuck closed” error when turning on the game. I know this is the switch inside the Dauntless for when you hit it with the cannon ball - but does anybody know if it’s a physical switch or an opto? I am not in a huge hurry to disassemble the game if I don’t have to

#11624 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

So one of the bulbs on the spotlights failed tonight. Started flickering then died...I emailed frank since I’m still under warranty but is there is a source of these bulbs for future? They are not the typical 12v LED Wedge it appears. They have two 90k ohm resistors in line it appears...

Are you sure it's not just a bad connection with the bulb to the socket? It's very common. Try the electrical tape fix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

#11625 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Starting to consistently get a “target ship switch stuck closed” error when turning on the game. I know this is the switch inside the Dauntless for when you hit it with the cannon ball - but does anybody know if it’s a physical switch or an opto? I am not in a huge hurry to disassemble the game if I don’t have to

The switch test screen tells you if it's a physical switch or an opto.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11626 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The switch test screen tells you if it's a physical switch or an opto.

Gotcha, how did I not notice that. Thx!

#11627 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you sure it's not just a bad connection with the bulb to the socket? It's very common. Try the electrical tape fix.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

I tried that. The bulb lens fell/broke off. I tried a couple of bulbs … one was way too dim, the other flickered even with the electrical tape. I have to keep adjusting it or let it just sit there and bug me, turning on occasionally. There has to be a better way or solution. I need the correct bulb too … or one "slightly" dimmer. It doesn't need to be that bright up there on the bp with a bad reflection in the back glass shining back at you. I installed some bent plastic to cut down on the spot light reflections.

Ahhh … there … vented on the topic for the thing that keeps coming back to annoy me too.

Love the game - one of the best (just so I don't come across as someone that chronically complains about the game).

#11628 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It started flickering then died. I checked the connection and they were still solid and ok

#11629 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All that means is you haven't hit the switch in a while. Toss a ball in the Dauntless during switch test and I bet it goes away.

Then...try and hit it more

#11630 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

All that means is you haven't hit the switch in a while. Toss a ball in the Dauntless during switch test and I bet it goes away.
Then...try and hit it more

I hit the shot pretty much every game - but I'll try that and see what happens! Maybe it's not hitting correctly

#11631 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I hit the shot pretty much every game - but I'll try that and see what happens! Maybe it's not hitting correctly

I am in the same situation. I just ignore that report and play. I hope they address this in the next software update ... assuming there is nothing physically wrong. I hit the ship and sink it regularly (but not every time) and the same switch shows up as a problem.

#11632 4 years ago

Do you all get a lot of airballs off the left side of the ramp to the ship? Any ideas on how to fix?

#11633 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Do you all get a lot of airballs off the left side of the ramp to the ship? Any ideas on how to fix?

Turn flipper power back to default, if it's higher.

#11634 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Turn flipper power back to default, if it's higher.

I already have it lower than default, but I appreciate the suggestion.

#11635 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dauntless switch is an opto. Very possible the cheap plastic clip they use to secure the opto popped out.

#11636 4 years ago

So one of the bulbs on the spotlights failed tonight. Started flickering then died...I emailed frank since I’m still under warranty but is there is a source of these bulbs for future? They are not the typical 12v LED Wedge...They have two 90k ohm resistors in line it appears...

Same happened to me. I just pulled a bulb from the coin door and used it on the spotlight.

#11637 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am in the same situation. I just ignore that report and play. I hope they address this in the next software update ... assuming there is nothing physically wrong. I hit the ship and sink it regularly (but not every time) and the same switch shows up as a problem.

Had this happen to me all the time. My issue is the wire loom in the back off machine, the wire loom impedes with the switch. just move wire loom towards middle of machine when lowering the play field. try that . Have not had the issue since.

#11638 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

Had this happen to me all the time. My issue is the wire loom in the back off machine, the wire loom impedes with the switch. just move wire loom towards middle of machine when lowering the play field. try that . Have not had the issue since.

That makes a lot of sense - I had trouble with the Pearl moving for the same reason. I am going to add another wire clip to hold it in place

#11639 4 years ago

Anyone have any issues with the spinning disk gears? I think my gear on the motor is getting stripped and just spinning on the motor. The actual gear teeth look good but i think from all the switching directions quickly its striping it . I believe mine has updated neoprene gears?

#11640 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Anyone have any issues with the spinning disk gears? I think my gear on the motor is getting stripped and just spinning on the motor. The actual gear teeth look good but i think from all the switching directions quickly its striping it . I believe mine has updated neoprene gears?

Have you tried tightening the set screw on the gear to the motor shaft?

#11641 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I already have it lower than default, but I appreciate the suggestion.

I see this as well and have also lowered flipper power. It seems those targets just take the brunt of the ball momentum as one shoots for the pearl ramp.

#11642 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

Have you tried tightening the set screw on the gear to the motor shaft?

I haven't looked at it.. ill give it a go ..thank's

#11643 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I haven't looked at it.. ill give it a go ..thank's

FYI there are 2 set screws. Good luck.

#11644 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Same happened to me. I just pulled a bulb from the coin door and used it on the spotlight.

Good idea but I still want to buy a bulb or get a replacement from them. I tried a few other 12v bulbs and they don’t work in the socket.

Edit: Found a pack of 12v bulbs that worked from my slot machine spare parts.

#11645 4 years ago

Does anyone have the trough lighting installed? I was thinking blue, but afraid it may drown out with the playfield art and will not notice much difference?

#11646 4 years ago

There’s a few pics on our site showing green and white. Led pictures tend to exacerbate the effects, they aren’t washed out in person.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit

Quoted from Breger1:

Does anyone have the trough lighting installed? I was thinking blue, but afraid it may drown out with the playfield art and will not notice much difference?

#11647 4 years ago

Chest mod complete! Now my SE is even better lol

#11648 4 years ago

Chest mod complete! Now my SE is even better lol

Looks awesome! Can't wait to do surgery on mine!

#11649 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Looks awesome! Can't wait to do surgery on mine!

It’s a fun mod to do yourself. I enjoyed it

#11650 4 years ago

Okay, so I can now semi-consistently get a hat and patch on high score pictures, where before I could get none. It does seem to have to do with facing forward straight-on and having CHIN DOWN to give a more angular relationship of your temples to your chin. I also seem to have slightly better success than chin-down alone if I widen my eyes in a surprised look. Makes some crazy-looking pictures, but I now have an eye patch and hat. Try it yourself if you haven't been able to get a high score pic with your natural face and orientation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/233 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.