(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 168 of 378.
#8351 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am probably oversimplifying the conditions that raise it. Keefer can chime in maybe. If it pops up in the coil test I wouldn't worry about it.

Humm.. ok, would be nice to know any conditions. I mean, I'm no pinball god, but I've definitely gone through many different chapters with many different character combinations and not once has that post popped up.

#8352 4 years ago

I feel like having black pearl MB qualified is related somehow. I’ll pay more attention next time it happens.

#8353 4 years ago

BLUE start button, coin reject buttons, lit flipper buttons, and PinGulp:

POTC cab front low expose (resized).jpgPOTC cab front low expose (resized).jpg

#8354 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I am very interested to understand how you plugged the speakers in, especially the 2 way speakers. For the external sub I use alligator clips and an activ sub. Do you do this similarly or is there a direct plug in possibilty for the sub as well.
Would you share your solution. Thanks a lot!

I desoldered the wires from the internal speakers and soldered the source wires to new speaker wires that I ran down into the cab, out the hole in the bottom, and back up to the top.

For the speaker boxes, I soldered a short wire to the speakers and ran those out the hole in the box, and soldered that end to the spring terminals.

If you leave the tweeter wires soldered then just unplug them.

I bought the 4" speaker boxes off ebay. They have a hole in the box for wires but not terminals, so I also bought the spring terminals off Ebay. $34 for those items plus the speakers, which I already had.

I would've bought boxes for the 5" midrange and just relocated them, but they don't sell boxes for that size.

20190427_173925 (resized).jpg20190427_173925 (resized).jpg
#8355 4 years ago

So who's going to write up a complete speaker replacement?

#8356 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

So who's going to write up a complete speaker replacement?

I must truly be getting old as I feel the speaker volume and sound is More then enough as delivered.

#8357 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I must truly be getting old as I feel the speaker volume and sound is More then enough as delivered.

I added an external sub (as I typically do), but otherwise I'm good too.

#8358 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I’ve been considering trying that, as I have a spare sub left over from my move doing nothing. Where did you run the wire? Do you buy the alligator clip kits that are offered here on Pinside frequently?

#8359 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Is the external sub located inside the pin, under the pin, beside the pin?

#8360 4 years ago

External sub is a large box that sits under the pin. I don’t care for the clutter so I switched to the PinWoofer internal sub, installed inside the pin cabinet. Also adds a bit of vibration to the pin with sound which really enhances effects nicely. When I blow up the dauntless I can feel it now.

#8361 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve been considering trying that, as I have a spare sub left over from my move doing nothing. Where did you run the wire? Do you buy the alligator clip kits that are offered here on Pinside frequently?

Full info for anyone interested:

I hooked up a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer to my POTC as I have with all of my Stern games and my Houdini. These sound great and are relatively cheap - as little as $80 online occasionally. I think it helps with POTC's bass, but it's not as noticeable a difference to me as on my newer Stern games which I attribute to JJP's cabinet subwoofer probably being better than Stern's.

This is the cable that I have used to connect most of my subwoofers (but there are a lot of others that will work as well and you typically only need one RCA jack rather than two):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDUZ22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

On the right underside of your POTC's CPU (located behind the backbox screen), you'll find the typical (pink, green, blue(?)) sockets for audio jacks to plug into. You want to use the headphone output socket that the cabinet front headphone socket's cable is already connected to. To do so you'll need a splitter (3.5 mm male to (2) 3.5 mm females) so you can connect your subwoofer to it as well.

I ran the cable out the bottom of the cabinet through one of the ventilation openings - you'll need to pry up the screen slightly. If you use a Polk PSW 10 just follow the simple instructions that come with it for its various settings.

#8362 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I desoldered the wires from the internal speakers and soldered the source wires to new speaker wires that I ran down into the cab, out the hole in the bottom, and back up to the top.
For the speaker boxes, I soldered a short wire to the speakers and ran those out the hole in the box, and soldered that end to the spring terminals.
If you leave the tweeter wires soldered then just unplug them.
I bought the 4" speaker boxes off ebay. They have a hole in the box for wires but not terminals, so I also bought the spring terminals off Ebay. $34 for those items plus the speakers, which I already had.
I would've bought boxes for the 5" midrange and just relocated them, but they don't sell boxes for that size.[quoted image]

Thank you for your feedback, highly appreciated!

So you replaced the backbox speakers by your external ones. Which frequence do they have? Woudl it be possible to add the external 2 way speakers additionally to the internal ones (like the alligator clip solution to the external sub; however, the sub is not critical due to the active sub character) or would that be problematic due to the 4''?

#8363 4 years ago

Humm.. ok, would be nice to know any conditions. I mean, I'm no pinball god, but I've definitely gone through many different chapters with many different character combinations and not once has that post popped up.

I thought the same thing - never noticed the post going up except to lock the ball (from behind). But now that I'm looking for it, it does definitely happen. Really not necessary as you can always shoot the chest to feed the flipper, but the post is a cool feature. Amazing that after months of play I'm still learning new things about this pin!

#8364 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Thank you for your feedback, highly appreciated!
So you replaced the backbox speakers by your external ones. Which frequence do they have? Woudl it be possible to add the external 2 way speakers additionally to the internal ones (like the alligator clip solution to the external sub; however, the sub is not critical due to the active sub character) or would that be problematic due to the 4''?

Not sure on frequency response but it sounds great. Just find a good car speaker.

You don't want to pull down the impedance by keeping the original speakers connected. The 4" speakers are 4 ohm, and having both connected would drop the impedance down to near 2 ohm and could damage the amp.

The reason that works okay for a powered subwoofer is that the sub's speaker inputs are very high impedance, so they don't really change the overall impedance seen by the pinball amp.

#8365 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Out of curiosity, for the right outlane save, do you have rubber on one or both of the posts. If only one, is it the upper or lower?

Neither - I removed the rubber. That is the way that Eric had them setup for the prototype pins and was his general intent (at that time at least). He said that it would ship with the rubber on the top post and could be switched or removed, depending on preference. I like to play it the way his intent was for it. You have to nudge to save it still.

#8366 4 years ago

It happens when there is not a character to collect on the left orbit shot but there is a character to collect in the map hole or inner orbit shots. Like others said, the idea is to block a shot going up the left orbit in order to feed the upper flipper and collect those characters. Personally I find it a bit jarring and I'm still trying to get better at using it because 1) I'm never expecting it when it happens & 2) the ball often bounces so hard off the post that it flies past the flipper before I can use it. Here's the explanation from Keefer earlier in this forum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/74#post-4834845

#8367 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

It happens when there is not a character to collect on the left orbit shot but there is a character to collect in the map hole or inner orbit shots. Like others said, the idea is to block a shot going up the left orbit in order to feed the upper flipper and collect those characters. Personally I find it a bit jarring and I'm still trying to get better at using it because 1) I'm never expecting it when it happens & 2) the ball often bounces so hard off the post that it flies past the flipper before I can use it. Here's the explanation from Keefer earlier in this forum:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/74#post-4834845

AH, thanks. I'll pay more attention, I think it may have happened last night after we discussed.

#8368 4 years ago

I like how some chapters have like 3 characters and others have 10.

It's DEF surprising when characters fill up across the entire screen when hitting a chapter.

"Woah..."

#8369 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I like how some chapters have like 3 characters and others have 10.
It's DEF surprising when characters fill up across the entire screen when hitting a chapter.
"Woah..."

Totally agree. The other day I had an "at world's end" chapter that lit up almost every character...the little "bling, bling, bling" sound just kept going and going and my son and I were like..."did we break something?"

#8370 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Totally agree. The other day I had an "at world's end" chapter that lit up almost every character...the little "bling, bling, bling" sound just kept going and going and my son and I were like..."did we break something?"

That sound effect is deadly magic. Definitely one of the reasons I wanted to own it. Literally Pavlovian.

#8371 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That sound effect is deadly magic. Definitely one of the reasons I wanted to own it. Literally Pavlovian.

Haha. It's pretty great!

#8372 4 years ago

"Collect the gold!!!"

How many times have I taken my hand off a flipper to watch the ball drain. Talk about pavlovian.

#8373 4 years ago

"Collect the gold!!!"
How many times have I taken my hand off a flipper to watch the ball drain. Talk about pavlovian.

It's one thing to hit the button with one hand and a completely different thing to try and hit it with the other hand - ya know, the hand that you wouldn't naturally hit it with all the while trying to make a split-second decision on which hand to choose as the ball is zinging towards the flippers.

Good times!

#8374 4 years ago

I mean, damn, there's enough skill in being cognizant of which letters in P-I-R-A-T-E you have lit up and watching how your flipping which of course is changing what is highlighted...

I mean...if you "care" about the P-I-R-A-T-E rewards.. =)

#8376 4 years ago

"Collect the gold!!!"

Lol it is an addictive greed that makes us go for the gold. Maybe I should work on a belt mounted Mod third hand slapper to collect your gold! lol

hand wave (resized).jpghand wave (resized).jpg
#8377 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

It's one thing to hit the button with one hand and a completely different thing to try and hit it with the other hand - ya know, the hand that you wouldn't naturally hit it with all the while trying to make a split-second decision on which hand to choose as the ball is zinging towards the flippers.
Good times!

I'm apparently bad at those split second decisions, lol. I have been mainly waiting to trap the ball to hit the button now... I'm ok with getting less gold over a drain on my 200k point games, lol.

#8378 4 years ago

I'm apparently bad at those split second decisions, lol. I have been mainly waiting to trap the ball to hit the button now... I'm ok with getting less gold over a drain on my 200k point games, lol.

I’m not even at 200k...yet!

#8379 4 years ago

This sign is in my gameroom to (ideally) inject some humor into situations where players (including me) struggle on my games.

Golly you really do suck (resized).jpgGolly you really do suck (resized).jpg

#8380 4 years ago

That’s why you select Captain Norrington as you only have to hit the gold button 1 time to collect all. Helps you work on your multihand skills.

#8381 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s why you select Captain Norrington as you only have to hit the gold button 1 time to collect all. Helps you work on your multihand skills.

Cutler Beckett, you mean. . Norrington is easier chapter completions.

#8382 4 years ago

Beckett's downside is that he only gives you 1/2 the value of the gold you collect. Can be a steep price for convenience depending on your button hitting skills.

#8383 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I like having 3 chapters lit or easier multiball. Screw the gold!

#8384 4 years ago

I like having 3 chapters lit or easier multiball. Screw the gold!

I'm into Blackbeard lately for longer multiball save time.

#8385 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yup, that's another good one. If you can keep those balls going the points are awesome.

#8386 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

finally converted to the dark side.

blackbeard for life my man.

#8387 4 years ago

What is the method for getting to the tortuga hole curved flap/scoop? It's held on with two screws right through the top but the pop bumper skirt is in the way. Do I have to totally disassemble that pop bumper? I think the problem I am having with the tortuga hole is that the previous owner installed the cliffy without taking off the skirt (it looks like the skirt is messed up near the screws) and didn't push the "flap" all the way back when screwing it in (likely because they didn't take the skirt off) and so every time you hit the tortuga hole with any force it pops right back out. I don't know if maybe 1 out of 50 times I've made it in on purpose. Alternately, I can make the throne room on WOZ pretty much any time I want. Granted, it does not have a cliffy but it doesn't look like the cliffy is interfering at all.

0429191955a (resized).jpg0429191955a (resized).jpg
#8388 4 years ago

What is the method for getting to the tortuga hole curved flap/scoop? It's held on with two screws right through the top but the pop bumper skirt is in the way. Do I have to totally disassemble that pop bumper? I think the problem I am having with the tortuga hole is that the previous owner installed the cliffy without taking off the skirt (it looks like the skirt is messed up near the screws) and didn't push the "flap" all the way back when screwing it in (likely because they didn't take the skirt off) and so every time you hit the tortuga hole with any force it pops right back out. I don't know if maybe 1 out of 50 times I've made it in on purpose. Alternately, I can make the throne room on WOZ pretty much any time I want. Granted, it does not have a cliffy but it doesn't look like the cliffy is interfering at all.
[quoted image]

There should be a link in the index for this. Use an allen wrench to remove Tom (there’s a hole in the barrel.). From there it’s screws from the top of the playfield until the pop bumper is loose enough to modify the Tortuga scoop guard. I had best results by aiming it as far left as it would go and I loctite’d it down. My Tortuga fires directly into the left flipper every time now.

#8389 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

There should be a link in the index for this. Use an allen wrench to remove Tom (there’s a hole in the barrel.). From there it’s screws from the top of the playfield until the pop bumper is loose enough to modify the Tortuga scoop guard. I had best results by aiming it as far left as it would go and I loctite’d it down. My Tortuga fires directly into the left flipper every time now.

Oh sweet, I thought I'd have to start pulling it apart from underneath. Simple enough.

#8390 4 years ago

Finally found a Davy Jones,followed Yelobird's guidelines and it fits like it should of been there from the start

IMG_1058.JPGIMG_1058.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1059.JPG
#8391 4 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

Finally found a Davy Jones,followed Yelobird's guidelines and it fits like it should of been there from the start[quoted image][quoted image]

Where dat from?

#8392 4 years ago

7 inch neca toy that you need to modify to fit,I tried playing around with bootstrap bill but because he has arm joints it makes it difficult to get him to look good,he turns out looking like a scarecrow

#8393 4 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

7 inch neca toy that you need to modify to fit,I tried playing around with bootstrap bill but because he has arm joints it makes it difficult to get him to look good,he turns out looking like a scarecrow

Cool. This documented anywhere?

#8394 4 years ago

Yelobirds post #2473 in this thread
But its pretty self explanitory once you get Tom off
Might try the hammer head shark dude next if I can find a cheap one,toy collectors have a fit when you tell them what your going to do with it

#8395 4 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

Yelobirds post #2473 in this thread
But its pretty self explanitory once you get Tom off

Neato, thanks. Any other characters out there?

Jack could be fun

#8396 4 years ago

I love that pinball machine. Rarely seen so many possibilities to play a pinball and you can't stop somehow. Here is a video of my Twitch channel. I don't know if my way of playing is good or bad:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/418070279

Greetings
Simon

#8397 4 years ago
Quoted from WeLovePinball:

I love that pinball machine. Rarely seen so many possibilities to play a pinball and you can't stop somehow. Here is a video of my Twitch channel. I don't know if my way of playing is good or bad:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/418070279
Greetings
Simon

Followed! Mine is twitch.tv/nspinball

#8398 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Followed! Mine is twitch.tv/nspinball

Thank you for the follow. I really appreciate that. You also have a PotC? I'll do a follow you, too!

#8399 4 years ago
Quoted from WeLovePinball:

Thank you for the follow. I really appreciate that. You also have a PotC? I'll do a follow you, too!

At one point I had two (Separate homes)

#8400 4 years ago

Hi All, POTC CE is now enabled on Pinside at https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/pirates-of-the-caribbean-ce (standard and LE were the only options before today).

"Those who engage in acts of piracy are called pirates"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 168 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/168 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.