(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12,628 posts
  • 473 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Axl
  • Topic is favorited by 222 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,248 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG4041 (resized).jpg
IMAG4040 (resized).jpg
IMAG4043 (resized).jpg
IMAG4042 (resized).jpg
ACF9F2AD-099A-44C8-9352-CD7BA85360C9 (resized).jpeg
9A1C9D29-ACB7-4773-9683-CF88CC55A1C7 (resized).jpeg
7AB58D36-58A0-484E-A049-BFD75D25EC83 (resized).jpeg
31CC6C83-7FFE-46DB-9486-96FFA24E6EC1 (resized).jpeg
AEC799EC-1B4F-4734-8AE0-1CA165834AEC (resized).jpeg
2019-10-14 (resized).jpg
DEAB7C32-C3F9-4E1F-A635-6075853567D7 (resized).jpeg
D138B2B2-FA60-48F9-B4FB-6F0A051EDB19 (resized).jpeg
60417BE8-B52C-4418-B2F0-C56B52284152 (resized).jpeg
2C17611F-B880-4400-8F82-C0E864AF43E8 (resized).jpeg
595E901D-231D-4566-888F-75777840B8D3 (resized).jpeg
Cabinet (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12628 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 253.
#8301 5 months ago

I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality from the stock speakers and it's most likely because the midrange fires up into the cabinet. So today I connected Pioneer 4" 2-way speakers instead. Sounds much better! Took a while to do all the wiring. I added spring clip terminals to the back of the boxes.

They're just sitting on the head but seem to be secure so I won't bother attaching them. I also have an external sub (a must).
20190427_173453 (resized).jpg20190427_173906 (resized).jpg

#8302 5 months ago
Quoted from spidey:

I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality from the stock speakers and it's most likely because the midrange fires up into the cabinet. So today I connected Pioneer 4" 2-way speakers instead. Sounds much better! Took a while to do all the wiring. I added spring clip terminals to the back of the boxes.
They're just sitting on the head but seem to be secure so I won't bother attaching them. I also have an external sub (a must).
[quoted image][quoted image]

Check out the PinWoofer internal amp and sub. Replaces stock sub. Sounds awesome. I have two pins with them, going to put them in the rest of my pins now too.

#8303 5 months ago

I agree external sub is a must have

#8304 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Appreciate it, but it's better to direct people to the tech thread for PotC (and key post it there, if you like) where this post is in the index rather than this general conversation/club thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/8#post-4958386
The graphic is a combination of two pages from the manual that eliminates wasted space.

Haha, not quite perfect. I forgot to deselect the word "rubber" that I used to find the page in the PDF, so one instance of it is highlighted blue on the parts list for no apparent reason.

#8305 5 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Check out the PinWoofer internal amp and sub. Replaces stock sub. Sounds awesome. I have two pins with them, going to put them in the rest of my pins now too.

I actually already put a Pyle 8" sub in the cab, but without an extra amp. Helps with some bass but probably does need an amp or just an external sub. Stern games do a better job here because you can boost the bass in the audio settings. C'mon JJP, catch up!

#8306 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Haha, not quite perfect. I forgot to deselect the word "rubber" that I used to find the page in the PDF, so one instance of it is highlighted blue on the parts list for no apparent reason.

Gives it character.

#8307 5 months ago

Check out this update... going to add several more clips from the film but just making some custom cg fx. Also threw in something for Road Show.

#8308 5 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Check out this update... going to add several more clips from the film but just making some custom cg fx. Also threw in something for Road Show.

I like this idea however not sure I want to get rid of the twinkly lights.

Any possibility of a secondary location? Maybe a bracket to install behind the Devil’s Triangle above the maelstrom wireform area?

#8309 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I like this idea however not sure I want to get rid of the twinkly lights.
Any possibility of a secondary location? Maybe a bracket to install behind the Devil’s Triangle above the maelstrom wireform area?

What's this all about again? Whatever it is sounds interesting...

*Hey guys, don't be afraid to make some new topics and link them. It's hard to keep up with the single level of quoting.

#8310 5 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What's this all about again? Whatever it is sounds interesting...
*Hey guys, don't be afraid to make some new topics and link them. It's hard to keep up with the single level of quoting.

You aren't using the pinside-buddy plug-in to track all the threads of interest to you?

#8311 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You aren't using the pinside-buddy plug-in to track all the threads of interest to you?

.... not sure if this is sarcasm.... bah, you made me google it

#8312 5 months ago

.... not sure if this is sarcasm.... bah, you made me google it

Sometimes I cannot help myself. Drives my wife nuts in social situations.

#8313 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Sometimes I cannot help myself. Drives my wife nuts in social situations.

Topical...

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel on his pants, a peg leg and a parrot on his shoulder. The bartender says, "Hey, you've got a steering wheel on your pants."

The pirate says, "Arrrr, I know. It's driving me nuts."

#8314 5 months ago

Topical...
A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel on his pants, a peg leg and a parrot on his shoulder. The bartender says, "Hey, you've got a steering wheel on your pants."
The pirate says, "Arrrr, I know. It's driving me nuts."

http://thatsthejoke.com/

#8315 5 months ago
Quoted from spidey:

I actually already put a Pyle 8" sub in the cab, but without an extra amp. Helps with some bass but probably does need an amp or just an external sub. Stern games do a better job here because you can boost the bass in the audio settings. C'mon JJP, catch up!

The Amp kit will allow you hear / feel that new driver: https://PinWoofer.com

#8316 5 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

These updates should be integrated with the code, not a different screen.

#8317 5 months ago
Quoted from RPZ:

These updates should be integrated with the code, not a different screen.

Unfortunately don’t think that is going to happen. I think if executed well it could be a really popular mod for the game.

#8318 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Unfortunately don’t think that is going to happen. I think if executed well it could be a really popular mod for the game.

If it's not interactive I dont understand why play shoot again and ball locks

#8319 5 months ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

If it's not interactive I dont understand why play shoot again and ball locks

Not sure how he can integrate those but for those looking for general theatrical fanfare, this will fit the bill.

#8320 5 months ago

There’s no way to mod this into the game. The game files are encrypted.

#8321 5 months ago
Quoted from spidey:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I am very interested to understand how you plugged the speakers in, especially the 2 way speakers. For the external sub I use alligator clips and an activ sub. Do you do this similarly or is there a direct plug in possibilty for the sub as well.

Would you share your solution. Thanks a lot!

#8322 5 months ago

The game is already crazy loud. An amp!?

Now if you’re saying it’s just a cleaner sound then I’m onboard. (See what I did there..)

Also, the sub goes INTO the cab?

Wouldn’t that create too much vibration?

I like this idea..

#8323 5 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The game is already crazy loud. An amp!?
Now if you’re saying it’s just a cleaner sound then I’m onboard. (See what I did there..)
Also, the sub goes INTO the cab?
Wouldn’t that create too much vibration?
I like this idea..

The amp will cause vibrations if the power is increased excessively (which this little amp can certainly do) but its surprising how much bass you can get before crossing this threshold. The goal is to provide an integrated install and high tonal quality. Experiment and find the the right balance. It's impossible to describe the sound, but the feedback has been very good. Our kits provide deep, clean bass that you can hear loudly and clearly and feel in your hands. You can read through the "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" thread where there is a lot of customer feedback and related discussion. Thanks

#8324 5 months ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

The amp will cause vibrations if the power is increased excessively (which this little amp can certainly do) but its surprising how much bass you can get before crossing this threshold. The goal is to provide an integrated install and high tonal quality. Experiment and find the the right balance. It's impossible to describe the sound, but the feedback has been very good. Our kits provide deep, clean bass that you can hear loudly and clearly and feel in your hands. You can read through the "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" thread where there is a lot of customer feedback and related discussion. Thanks

I appreciate the response.

In other words, the amp can definitely reduce or eliminate the “muddiness” of the mids/highs which I have certainly heard.

And bass is a thing, too.

Awesome!

#8325 5 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I appreciate the response.
In other words, the amp can definitely reduce or eliminate the “muddiness” of the mids/highs which I have certainly heard.
And bass is a thing, too.
Awesome!

I think I can answer "yes" in terms of the mid range muddiness (using our speaker). There is a low pass filter whose -3dB (Fc) point is about 180Hz. Frequencies above are attenuated and frequencies below are amplified.

The highs might be improved with a speaker upgrade in the backbox.

Audio mastery plays a role as well in terms of the tonal quality but POTC has an incredible track so I'd be surprised if this were the source of the "muddiness".

Some things to consider. Hope that helps!

#8326 5 months ago

This game benefits greatly from a nice sub and amp kit. I test installed the PinWoofer kit on mine and it was great. I removed it though as I’m using it for a stern spike install on my Star Wars as that game DESPERATELY needs a sound upgrade. But I plan to order two more PinWoofer kits, one for my POTC and one for AFMr. I bet POTC with a full upgraded sound system including backbox would be amazing!!

#8327 5 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This game benefits greatly from a nice sub and amp kit. I test installed the PinWoofer kit on mine and it was great. I removed it though as I’m using it for a stern spike install on my Star Wars as that game DESPERATELY needs a sound upgrade. But I plan to order two more PinWoofer kits, one for my POTC and one for AFMr. I bet POTC with a full upgraded sound system including backbox would be amazing!!

Aye! I’ll have AFMr this Wednesday!

#8328 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think very few POTC owners are interested in parting with them.

Mine has been so cruel I might sell it! I consider myself a decent player but this pin is just brutal. I can play 20 games in a row and not put up over 150k. The left outlane is the worst - reminds me of Firepower and every other pin with a curved side-rail for the kickback that just sucks the balls down. Not uncommon for me to have a first ball under 1500 points. That's how bad I suck at this pin!

Kidding about selling it

#8329 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Mine has been so cruel I might sell it! I consider myself a decent player but this pin is just brutal. I can play 20 games in a row and not put up over 150k. The left outlane is the worst - reminds me of Firepower and every other pin with a curved side-rail for the kickback that just sucks the balls down. Not uncommon for me to have a first ball under 1500 points. That's how bad I suck at this pin!
Kidding about selling it

Huh. This is my go to game when others have been kicking my butt. I find I can nudge save probably 80% of the right outlane drains. Left side, not so much.

#8330 5 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Huh. This is my go to game when others have been kicking my butt. I find I can nudge save probably 80% of the right outlane drains. Left side, not so much.

I know! The consensus seems to be that it's not difficult to put up mil+ games. Yet I can't seem to do it. Maybe it's the way mine is tuned or maybe I just suck lol!

#8331 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I know! The consensus seems to be that it's not difficult to put up mil+ games. Yet I can't seem to do it. Maybe it's the way mine is tuned or maybe I just suck lol!

Just physically mod the left lane like others have already done.

You’ll diminish the challenge AND score higher! =P

#8332 5 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I find I can nudge save probably 80% of the right outlane drains.

Out of curiosity, for the right outlane save, do you have rubber on one or both of the posts. If only one, is it the upper or lower?

#8333 5 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Just physically mode the left lane like others have already done.
You’ll diminish the challenge AND score higher! =P

See, that's the thing, I don't want to diminish the challenge. I'd rather just complain about it

#8334 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

See, that's the thing, I don't want to diminish the challenge. I'd rather just complain about it

Agreed!

Well... I don’t really want to conplain about it. =P

If it makes you feel any better, my high score is only currently like 113k.

Granted, I only have around 30 plays on it maybe.

#8335 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Out of curiosity, for the right outlane save, do you have rubber on one or both of the posts. If only one, is it the upper or lower?

Mine only has one, on the right side post.

Quoted from gliebig:

My game, I'm assuming yours as well, has holes for both outlines where you can move the post to make it easier. Mine came to me used with the posts in the "hard' position (making the opening wider) but it looks like you can move them to make it easier (narrow down the opening).

I totally agree about the drains... we hate the "I" and "E". But bumping the E is fun and it's a huge success when you save it.

I also agree that it's a brutal game. Sometimes I can hit several loops and the map hole for the skill shot.. other games I can't get close. It's also a huge disappointment to miss the map hole once you hit the loop several times. I've also put up a few high scores for me (800k) and then every other game is 100k, give or take, if I am lucky. Love it!

#8336 5 months ago

Put a few hours on POTC today and noticed that on a few occasions a ball shot up the left of the chest (Will character and yellow skull shot) would brick and come right back. Was too quick for me to see why, but would expect this to be a clean orbit behind the black pearl every time. Is there a condition when the post should be up or do I have some kind of intermittent fault?

#8337 5 months ago

Post helper when certain conditions are met. This behavior is modified somewhat in the next code version which will be releasing soon. Keefer can comment further.

#8338 5 months ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Put a few hours on POTC today and noticed that on a few occasions a ball shot up the left of the chest (Will character and yellow skull shot) would brick and come right back. Was too quick for me to see why, but would expect this to be a clean orbit behind the black pearl every time. Is there a condition when the post should be up or do I have some kind of intermittent fault?

I've have the same thing on the right orbit (through the pops), very hard to make the loop. On the left orbit (yellow skull) I have had the occasion for the ball to take flight behind the chest and end up landing on top of the star map plastic and coming down the middle of the playfield. I can't see why this would happen, maybe the ball guide needs to be bent forward a bit to prevent it from launching the ball. Wonder if this is related.

#8339 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Post helper when certain conditions are met. This behavior is modified somewhat in the next code version which will be releasing soon. Keefer can comment further.

Post helper?

#8340 5 months ago

I think that’s what it’s called - the post blocks the orbit to try to feed the upper flipper so that you can make the upper loop or map hole.

#8341 5 months ago

I think that’s what it’s called - the post blocks the orbit to try to feed the upper flipper so that you can make the upper loop or map hole.

Pic? I'm not quite understanding what this is referring to. Are you saying there is a post in the orbit now that does this?

Are you referring to the white post that drops down? I thought that was only to capture the ball when you get the loop multiball (forget which one that is.. stranger tides? it's the blue one).

#8342 5 months ago

Yes that post - code calls for it to raise at times to try to feed the upper flipper.

#8343 5 months ago

Yes that post - code calls for it to raise at times to try to feed the upper flipper.

Interesting.. that could be really interesting. Right now you really can only hit the chest lane or I guess right orbit to feed the flipper.

#8344 5 months ago

Hmmmm, I've never seen that happen.

#8345 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Hmmmm, I've never seen that happen.

Maybe cause you can only get into the 100k range ... =D

Haha

Kidding...

#8346 5 months ago

Happens on mine, not super often but it happens. You have to be quick though as it tends to bounce back from the post fast.

#8347 5 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Happens on mine, not super often but it happens. You have to be quick though as it tends to bounce back from the post fast.

Under what conditions? Looks like maybe this was added in v0.95 on Sept 25, 2018. I'll check my version but I don't think I've ever had the left orbit post pop up except for whatever multiball is triggered with the inner loop (on stranger tides?).

* Left orbit post assist for upper flipper Chapter shots now much more responsive.

Looks like just after that in 0.96 it was modified

* Reduced fire time on left orbit post helper.

#8348 5 months ago

Under what conditions? Looks like maybe this was added in v0.95 on Sept 25, 2018. I'll check my version but I don't think I've ever had the left orbit post pop up except for whatever multiball is triggered with the inner loop (on stranger tides?).

Looks like just after that in 0.96 it was modified

It pops up if you're in a chapter and the character(s) you need are in the map hole or fountain of youth shots.

#8349 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It pops up if you're in a chapter and the character(s) you need are in the map hole or fountain of youth shots.

Yeah, mine definitely does not do that. Confirmed I am on 0.98.

I don't see anything in the manual which is a setting for this EXCEPT "disable left post" which I doubt is set since it works for stranger tides.

#8350 5 months ago

Yeah, mine definitely does not do that. Confirmed I am on 0.98.
I don't see anything in the manual which is a setting for this EXCEPT "disable left post" which I doubt is set since it works for stranger tides.

I am probably oversimplifying the conditions that raise it. Keefer can chime in maybe. If it pops up in the coil test I wouldn't worry about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
There are 12628 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 253.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside