(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12,953 posts
  • 476 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Munsters
  • Topic is favorited by 221 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,274 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0086 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0077 (002) (resized).jpg
678A8AC9-EEFD-414A-8CF4-2A19FF9FB727 (resized).jpeg
127996A1-64F7-4385-BDA3-AC6B165DBA5F (resized).jpeg
42E58E05-D832-427D-9962-7BA05CDAAAA7 (resized).jpeg
229BD32B-9F41-4BE1-BFC5-CD723A59520C (resized).jpeg
98407DFF-5970-457D-8285-8D2EE942AD28 (resized).jpeg
3972995E-AE77-4A6F-BB41-463E01C2DC29 (resized).jpeg
469B3A96-B426-4162-BA85-78056D5D8A28 (resized).jpeg
1FD43333-D654-432F-AD2A-1784E352FE3B (resized).jpeg
034B0BD6-4A3B-40B8-8A68-6D475A859FD1 (resized).jpeg
20191015_163622 (resized).jpg
20191015_163716 (resized).jpg
20191015_163605 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12953 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 260.
#8201 6 months ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

New poster is up! So excited.
Side question- anyone with a spare SE/LE plastics sheet who might let go of a set of the slingshot Plastics? There's at least a couple spare sets on each sheet.
Happy to pay. My game came with these cracked. Just trying to stay away from fronting $100 for what should have been in the goodie bag.
Thanks to someone with a good heart in advance
[quoted image]

Your goody bag one's came cracked on in your game?

JJP should be able to replace them for you, I'd assume.

#8202 6 months ago
Quoted from Av8:

They make the name plates and sign the certificates in order of manufacture .... unless people pay for/request a certain number?

No, what I think KingPin is saying is that there is no order based on LE or CE number. If I say Christopher Please get me #666 POTC he will always try to accommodate. The SE models may be number sequence predictable but not the numbered models.

#8203 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No, what I think KingPin is saying is that there is no order based on LE or CE number. If I say Christopher Please get me #666 POTC he will always try to accommodate. The SE models may be number sequence predictable but not the numbered models.

Yes, that's what I keep hearing too. The LE/CE numbers are entirely random unless specified. The blue stamps underneath the playfield, are more production order.

#8204 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Your goody bag one's came cracked on in your game?
JJP should be able to replace them for you, I'd assume.

There were no extra slingshot plastics in the goodie bag. When I called JJP I was told to spend $100 for a sheet, they don't have loose spares even of the slings.

#8205 6 months ago

There were no extra slingshot plastics in the goodie bag. When I called JJP I was told to spend $100 for a sheet, they don't have loose spares even of the slings.

Dangit... I just asked them as well. Do you know how many sling pairs come in a new set? Maybe we can split it

#8206 6 months ago

What is the height from the floor to the highest point of the topper on the LE and the CE.

Thank you in advance!!

The CE topper looks tall In Pictures .

#8207 6 months ago

Anyone know what the black plastic "plugs" are for that are included in the goody bag? I don't see anything in the manual about them.

#8208 6 months ago

My goody bag has the spare plastics, I just confirmed.

#8209 6 months ago

I have these reusable velcro ties I have never really found a good use for.

I think when it comes time to remove the BP, I'll just cut all the zip ties (as I get some are too tight in the first place) and replace with these.

#8210 6 months ago

Oh lordy, that's not good...

Quoted from harryhoudini:

Anyone know what the black plastic "plugs" are for that are included in the goody bag? I don't see anything in the manual about them.

For the topper installation.

#8211 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

AHHHH, nice!

#8212 6 months ago
Quoted from Av8:

They make the name plates and sign the certificates in order of manufacture .... unless people pay for/request a certain number?

Get real my man! Nobody is standing there signing the sheets of paper one by one as these are assembled.

I have a super low number but my machine was made Valentine's Day 2019.

It really doesn't matter. Gameplay and reliability.... Waaaaaaay more important.

#8213 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to ask as my wife and I had an evening of competitive pirates and Most times we follow the pirate code (which is more of a guidelines anyway) but in this case she had pretty much the best game she ever had score wise then I lucked a Plunder half points.....lol Definitely damped the mood when I followed the pirate code but come on! How many of you have special pirate codes on Plundering depending on who you are playing against and as a team do you gang up on one person to feel real piratey! I so love this unusually gratifying element of the code, so fitting of the theme. Granted I am sleeping on the couch tonight.....

rs812 ‘s kids have a specific code. They plunder all my points, then balls, then laugh at my score.

#8214 6 months ago

Someone installed the 6 spotlight kit on my WOZ before I got it and I really love the fact that it allows me to play in the dark. Looks like they took some inspiration from feedback or a kit like this to light up PoTC, which is awesome, except the white lights really kill me. That's one of the things I dislike about Sterns, it seems like they just throw a bunch of white spotlights on it and bam, lit game. The previous owner of my PoTC had the LED trough and backboard lighting installed. Single color, white, always on 100%. I unplugged that, it was way too bright on the backboard, killing the starmap effect. I am going to reinstate the trough lighting, need to rewire a bit, wasn't a great install.

So, what I did as a fix for the lighting is do what they did on my WOZ, install purple lighting. After a bit you don't even notice it is purple, it looks almost white once you get used to it. It's dimmer, easier on the eyes and really compliments the games, IMHO. I am going to add another spotlight to the right sling, not sure why they installed two on the left and none on the right. Also going to see if I can get one situated near the kraken/maelstrom to point at the dauntless, it could use some lighting.. probably a blue spotlight would work.

Otherwise, all the spotlights are converted to these: https://pinballbulbs.com/products/flasher-906-purple-flat-top-pinball-led

Pictures don't quite do it justice, it's way more purple in the photos than in real life.

0425191500_HDR (resized).jpg0425191500b (resized).jpg

#8215 6 months ago

Someone installed the 6 spotlight kit on my WOZ before I got it and I really love the fact that it allows me to play in the dark. Looks like they took some inspiration from feedback or a kit like this to light up PoTC, which is awesome, except the white lights really kill me. That's one of the things I dislike about Sterns, it seems like they just throw a bunch of white spotlights on it and bam, lit game. The previous owner of my PoTC had the LED trough and backboard lighting installed. Single color, white, always on 100%. I unplugged that, it was way too bright on the backboard, killing the starmap effect. I am going to reinstate the trough lighting, need to rewire a bit, wasn't a great install.
So, what I did as a fix for the lighting is do what they did on my WOZ, install purple lighting. After a bit you don't even notice it is purple, it looks almost white once you get used to it. It's dimmer, easier on the eyes and really compliments the games, IMHO. I am going to add another spotlight to the right sling, not sure why they installed two on the left and none on the right. Also going to see if I can get one situated near the kraken/maelstrom to point at the dauntless, it could use some lighting.. probably a blue spotlight would work.
Otherwise, all the spotlights are converted to these: https://pinballbulbs.com/products/flasher-906-purple-flat-top-pinball-led
Pictures don't quite do it justice, it's way more purple in the photos than in real life.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Purple and blue are actually worse for your eyes than white. Depending on the wavelength they can cause permanent damage with long-term exposure if they're on the edge of the UV range. Red is the safest, but, well, no one wants a red playfield wash...

#8216 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh lordy, that's not good...

I know, right?

Anyone want to trade me a spare set of sling plastics from an uncut sheet for a roll of awesome black felt tape for the exposed wood, for maximum glide and look?

IMG_20190425_170840 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_171336 (resized).jpg

#8217 6 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Purple and blue are actually worse for your eyes than white. Depending on the wavelength they can cause permanent damage with long-term exposure if they're on the edge of the UV range. Red is the safest, but, well, no one wants a red playfield wash...

Maybe it's just the brightness of the white. I am guessing my time playing pinball isn't really enough exposure to cause issue.. but I'm just an armchair optometrist.

#8218 6 months ago

Maybe it's just the brightness of the white. I am guessing my time playing pinball isn't really enough exposure to cause issue.. but I'm just an armchair optometrist.

If you're putting the bulbs in the spotlights, you can control the brightness of the white you choose.

#8219 6 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

If you're putting the bulbs in the spotlights, you can control the brightness of the white you choose.

I think someone upgraded the bulbs to brighter options before I got the game, but there aren't a lot of choices for 12v bulbs, at least pinball specific options. I know we can use car bulbs but how do I figure out the "brightness" of each... can't really go by number of emitters, most places don't list lumens, etc. Either way, I think I like the purple better. It's not as a harsh of transition from light to dark either.

#8220 6 months ago

Does anyone else have these markings? The posts are wearing through the printing. Not sure why there aren't bolts/nuts on the 3rd post.

Photo_-_Google_Photos (resized).jpg
#8221 6 months ago

Does anyone else have these markings? The posts are wearing through the printing. Not sure why there aren't bolts/nuts on the 3rd post.
[quoted image]

Yes I do. I haven't worried about it much as I have spares in the goody bag. I touched them up with a sharpie for now. If I put clean plastics on, I will want to find some way to pad that area. Maybe a cabinet bumper, maybe mylar.

#8222 6 months ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

rs812 ‘s kids have a specific code. They plunder all my points, then balls, then laugh at my score.

U know what you r but the moderators said I can’t call u that any longer

#8223 6 months ago

I think someone upgraded the bulbs to brighter options before I got the game, but there aren't a lot of choices for 12v bulbs, at least pinball specific options. I know we can use car bulbs but how do I figure out the "brightness" of each... can't really go by number of emitters, most places don't list lumens, etc. Either way, I think I like the purple better. It's not as a harsh of transition from light to dark either.

I always opt to have bulb condoms on hand to change any bulb color as I wish.

https://www.pinballlife.com/silicone-bulb-caps-thick.html

#8224 6 months ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What is the height from the floor to the highest point of the topper on the LE and the CE.
Thank you in advance!!
The CE topper looks tall In Pictures .

I am looking to see if It fits in my basement location..

Thx!

#8225 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I always opt to have bulb condoms on hand to change any bulb color as I wish.
https://www.pinballlife.com/silicone-bulb-caps-thick.html

The only 12v bulbs I've seen that a "silicone bulb cap" (heh) would fit are the stock ones from JJP. Comet and pinballbulbs only have "tower" and "flasher" bulbs which I don't think you could fit one over. But I don't think you could get this shade of purple with a condom either, looks like PBL only have two colors

I have a bunch left over from when I went LED on TAF and ToM but yeah, the color options are less than endless

#8226 6 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes I do. I haven't worried about it much as I have spares in the goody bag. I touched them up with a sharpie for now. If I put clean plastics on, I will want to find some way to pad that area. Maybe a cabinet bumper, maybe mylar.

That's what I was thinking, across the board. Or... drill out the plastics and put a threaded hex rod/screw like most other games I've seen.

#8227 6 months ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I am looking to see if It fits in my basement location..
Thx!

Thank you for the Pm’s. Both work in the basement!!

#8228 6 months ago

[quoted image]

Normal (and very common on many pins) if that area is unprotected. If you put a small mylar disc on the underside, it prevents the screw from wearing through the backing ink on the plastic.

#8229 6 months ago

Has anyone on here installed plastic protectors? The black plastic post nubbies don't seem to fit inside the thicker protectors.

Given people are showing sling damage, I'd rather install these since I bought them, than not.

#8230 6 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

you can add a nylon washer or 2 under the plastic (for each post) to raise it up 1-2mm. What I did on my other machine that had that problem

#8231 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Has anyone on here installed plastic protectors? The black plastic post nubbies don't seem to fit inside the thicker protectors.
Given people are showing sling damage, I'd rather install these since I bought them, than not.

I would like to, but I haven’t found a set that is made correctly. Pinbits makes the best ones I have used, but they do not have a set for JJPOTC. I ordered the set from Mezelmods, but wasn’t impressed. They were too thick and poorly/roughly cut on the edges. I ended up giving them away.

Thus far I have just used the petg washers on the corners of the slings.

#8232 6 months ago
Quoted from rs812:

I would like too, but I haven’t found a set that is made correctly. Pinbits makes the best ones I have used, bur they do not have a set for JJPOTC. I ordered the set from Mezelmods, but wasn’t impressed. They were too thick and poorly/roughly cut on the edges. I ended up giving them away.

I hope to design/machine protectors for my POTC, once I get my machine. I use 1/16 clear polycarbonate.

#8233 6 months ago

4 hours no post bump.

#8234 6 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

4 hours no post bump.

Lol I saw so many new posts since I last checked and thought there was a code update.

I'm ready for some new code

#8235 6 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

4 hours no post bump.

Now that's funny.

I guess we won't let this thread not be on fire.

Haha

#8236 6 months ago

What's the best character to get the highest points, assuming no wizard modes and some multi all stacking?

#8237 6 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What's the best character to get the highest points, assuming no wizard modes and some multi all stacking?

Try Barbossa who lets you brick your jackpot/super jackpot shots. You can get At World’s End multiball going, then bang the 2X target over and over.

#8238 6 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Try Barbossa who lets you brick your jackpot/super jackpot shots. You can get At World’s End multiball going, then bang the 2X target over and over.

Brick?

#8240 6 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I tend to do best with William turner. If you are on your skill shots you stack point Very quickly! Especially if you can master that upper loop.

#8242 6 months ago
Quoted from rs812:

I would like to, but I haven’t found a set that is made correctly. Pinbits makes the best ones I have used, but they do not have a set for JJPOTC. I ordered the set from Mezelmods, but wasn’t impressed. They were too thick and poorly/roughly cut on the edges. I ended up giving them away.

I kind of feel the same way with these protectors. They're easily 1/4" too thick. I think I had Pinbits for Houdini. No fuss, no muss! (Oops, just checked. Definitely wasn't Pinbits for Houdini.)

Do you remember what size petg washers you used?

Quoted from indypinhead:

I hope to design/machine protectors for my POTC, once I get my machine. I use 1/16 clear polycarbonate.

I'd be up for a set, if you make any extras!

#8243 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Do you remember what size petg washers you used?

I usually use the smallest, which seem to be 3/4" at all the sellers. The smaller the better since the radius on the sling plastics is pretty small. Titan has colored ones, if you are interested.

#8244 6 months ago

I usually use the smallest, which seem to be 3/4" at all the sellers. The smaller the better since the radius on the sling plastics is pretty small. Titan has colored ones, if you are interested.

Oh thank you! I'd been looking at these the other day. Just wasn't sure what size.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=134&search=washers&description=true

Funny, that's all that titan has in stock, no clear.

These can be picked up at any decent hardware store too, yes?

And are these the kind/size you could use at the base of the sling posts too, or is that entirely different?

This is about the last step I have before being entirely functional, pinball wise anyway! That and fiddling with my Pearl ramp/wireform.

#8245 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh thank you! I'd been looking at these the other day. Just wasn't sure what size.
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=134&search=washers&description=true
Funny, that's all that titan has in stock, no clear.
These can be picked up at any decent hardware store too, yes?
And are these the kind/size you could use at the base of the sling posts too, or is that entirely different?
This is about the last step I have before being entirely functional, pinball wise anyway! That and fiddling with my Pearl ramp/wireform.

Not sure about hardware stores... I don't recall ever seeing clear. Marco and pinball life both have them. If you are going to get star posts to replace the originals then you can order it all at the same time. Marco might even have a washer to use under, I haven't confirmed yet.

The base of the posts would need something smaller to look good. I think the star post replacements are 5/16 (someone might have mentioned that elsewhere).. or maybe that is the original post size, not sure. I ordered a selection from Marco (white nylon washers) to see if they will fit but it seems like one of the accepted solutions is just to use mylar.

#8246 6 months ago

Not sure about hardware stores... I don't recall ever seeing clear. Marco and pinball life both have them. If you are going to get star posts to replace the originals then you can order it all at the same time. Marco might even have a washer to use under, I haven't confirmed yet.
The base of the posts would need something smaller to look good. I think the star post replacements are 5/16 (someone might have mentioned that elsewhere).. or maybe that is the original post size, not sure. I ordered a selection from Marco (white nylon washers) to see if they will fit but it seems like one of the accepted solutions is just to use mylar.

I've considered trying mylar too!

Thank you for the tips.

And I'd stay away from star posts for now. Mine left a mark after a few hours, and vireland definitely had damage as well.

#8247 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thank you for the tips.
And I'd stay away from star posts for now. Mine left a mark after a few hours, and vireland definitely had damage as well.

I don't really have an option as I already have chipping and areas where the playfield is removed and wood is exposed. I'm hoping the star posts at least cover it. I hope that I will be able to not crank them down as much and use something insulating under them to prevent more indentation.

I guess it's worth an ask if anyone has contact JJP about this? I've never bought a pin new or had one that was less than a year old, assuming that is probably the warranty coverage, so would something like this be covered somehow? It seems like this could be something that JJP should have a fix for, like they have the decals for the early WOZ games that had pop bumper wear (I happen to have one of those games).

Edit - Well, I emailed Shannan to ask. This seems like a widespread enough problem that it's worth asking JJP about.

Btw, she said they would send me out a new opto switch for the right ship spinner under warranty, so that's a good thing. I asked about getting two (might as well replace both).

0423191508 (resized).jpg0423191509 (resized).jpg0423191509a (resized).jpg
#8248 6 months ago

If the "goal" is to just "play it" and not look for problems, then I would almost advise NOT looking at the other maintenance thread.

Yea, they are legitimate issues, but if not affecting you then it goes without saying that you are looking for problems vs enjoying the game.

Just my 2 cents...

#8249 6 months ago

So nay on star posts?

Is that the verdict or did I miss something?

#8250 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thank you for the tips.

Best bet to just use the clear washers from Pinball Life right now under the stock posts as a preventative measure?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 12953 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 260.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside