(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,868 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by gunstarhero
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,868 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 378.
#8051 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I think the stainless looks great! The rgb gi is not that big of a deal. It is only the lights around the sling area and a few up top. All of the insert lighting on the SE is still rgb and that is where it really counts for gameplay. The star map is neat to look at, but I still haven’t figured out how to read it. I rank it up there with the spinny guy and the rock sculpture. And the LE topper is nothing special. Definitely unnecessary and you won’t even know they are missing. The only thing on the SE that I would miss from the LE is the shaker, and that is easily added! The gameplay is exactly the same across the board. I would have no hesitation in ordering an SE.
In fact, if I wasn’t out of my ever living mind, I would have just kept my SE. but that CE topper and the barnacles...uggg...there goes an extra $4k

If you can't get an LE or don't want to spend the money on a CE the SE is fine. I actually prefer the white GI to the colored. It allows you to better track the ball and the plastics are properly illuminated. I wonder how many SE's were actually made.

#8052 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

For this old guy, that's the only drawback. DEFINITELY FEELS like a widebody if you're a 50+ nudger/bumper. On long games, my hands will get tingly from 20-30 minutes of non stop abuse and I have to shake them out between balls. I only have this issue on widebodies.

Funny you should mention this. I'm also in the 50+ group and I find POTC is so heavy that after playing for a bit I get lazy. Watching the ball head sdtm my brain says "SLIDE!" but my arms say, "NOPE" lol.

#8053 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Funny you should mention this. I'm also in the 50+ group and I find POTC is so heavy that after playing for a bit I get lazy. Watching the ball head sdtm my brain says "SLIDE!" but my arms say, "NOPE" lol.

I have my game on low friction sliders on a hard floor. Given the lane geometry I slide to the right way more than the left so my only problem is moving the game back to center. A lot

#8054 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I have my game on low friction sliders on a hard floor. Given the lane geometry I slide to the right way more than the left so my only problem is moving the game back to center. A lot

Originally my pins were on carpet and I used furniture glides under the legs which made slides saves and shifts really easy. But now the floor has been replaced with fake wood composite vinyl and I use heavy duty felt pads under the legs which seem much harder to slide.

#8055 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone try Mylar under the posts rather than washers? Don’t have this issue yet but since star posts are reportedly digging and and the washers look odd maybe Mylar would mitigate the issue a bit.

Check the tech thread. Instructions with pictures. This is what I recommend at the present.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/7#post-4958109

#8056 4 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

If you can't get an LE or don't want to spend the money on a CE the SE is fine. I actually prefer the white GI to the colored. It allows you to better track the ball and the plastics are properly illuminated. I wonder how many SE's were actually made.

I purchased an SE last night, and I'll be happy with it. I'll order a shaker motor and consider changing white GIs to color SMDs, maybe a few of them and see if I like it. Happy with my decision.

#8057 4 years ago

Let me ask here.

Do "most" of you install those sling mylars (ya know, the half moon thingys) ...

I particular don't want to as that's like my favorite action on a pin and I think it would be affected by this -- even if only marginally.

#8058 4 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

I purchased an SE last night, and I'll be happy with it. I'll order a shaker motor and consider changing white GIs to color SMDs, maybe a few of them and see if I like it. Happy with my decision.

Of course!

You're going to OWN Pirates...

Sure, it's not LE/CE ... but these are really first world problems at the end of the day.

Let us know what your initial experience is when it arrives.

#8059 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Let me ask here.
Do "most" of you install those sling mylars (ya know, the half moon thingys) ...
I particular don't want to as that's like my favorite action on a pin and I think it would be affected by this -- even if only marginally.

Do what makes You comfortable. Are they needed? No. In my opinion these stopped being needed back in the day when diamond plate and clear coats were added which is why you can see the industry stopped using them. Again, some like to protect the game as if they were going to play 24/7 with gravel balls but others just enjoy what was presented as is.

#8060 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Let me ask here.

Ugh, slings are the worst! Vertical ball movement = good. Horizontal ball movement = bad!

#8061 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do what makes You comfortable. Are they needed? No. In my opinion these stopped being needed back in the day when diamond plate and clear coats were added which is why you can see the industry stopped using them. Again, some like to protect the game as if they were going to play 24/7 with gravel balls but others just enjoy what was presented as is.

Haha!

I love your responses.

Noted!!

#8062 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Let me ask here.

I do not. I just wax frequently. Never had a wear problem.

#8063 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I do not. I just wax frequently. Never had a wear problem.

Beautiful!

And I might add -- it doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing (says the guy who has steel washers under the sling posts -- but "I" didnt' do it and am working on customizing).

I know they are clear, but IMO, it doesn't even look like they belong there. In other places like holes or w/e, it is "okay."

#8064 4 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

probably a stupid question........

I bought a trough shim from Marco to prevent balls from "sticking" in the metal trough after sdtm drains
How is this installed?? No instructions with the shim; its probably very simple

Not stupid if you don't know.

Lift playfield up and pull out and rest on front of cabinet.

See the ball trough ? See the open end where balls drop in from the playfield ? See the end with the coil that kicks balls into play ?

Stick the pointy ends into the open end of the ball trough. Shove in. Lays on bottom, ears on the end of the shim kind of lock into the open end of the ball trough.

Simple 5 second procedure once you sort it out.

LTG : )

#8065 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not stupid if you don't know.
Lift playfield up and pull out and rest on front of cabinet.
See the ball trough ? See the open end where balls drop in from the playfield ? See the end with the coil that kicks balls into play ?
Stick the pointy ends into the open end of the ball trough. Shove in. Lays on bottom, ears on the end of the shim kind of lock into the open end of the ball trough.
Simple 5 second procedure once you sort it out.

I'm sure damn near everything is "simple" for you, Lloyd. =)

#8066 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm sure damn near everything is "simple" for you, Lloyd. =)

Not always.

I do try and explain so the person can figure it out and get it done as easy as possible.

Always a learning experience. Every day a new adventure.

#8067 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not always.
I do try and explain so the person can figure it out and get it done as easy as possible.
Always a learning experience. Every day a new adventure.

Couldn't agree more!

#8068 4 years ago

I’ve got my first mod coming and don’t even have a machine!

5DC51B96-2DC2-4FDA-AB87-75C9AB9E4FE0 (resized).jpeg5DC51B96-2DC2-4FDA-AB87-75C9AB9E4FE0 (resized).jpeg
#8069 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

... some like to protect the game as if they were going to play 24/7 with gravel balls but others just enjoy what was presented as is.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

#8070 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

It's not a bad thing for a new owner to want to make sure they feel their new game, (for most people an entirely gratuitous purchase, is protected upfront) so years down the road maintenance is kept minimal, and even more so, parts that might be unattainable aren't needed. I don't know anyone in my world personally, that could "afford" a purchase like this, myself included really. I've started working at least 12 hours of overtime each week, to make these games a viable option.

So if someone feels just after purchase, the desire to protect as much as they can within reason, good for them, and good for the hobby. Down the road, if they ever do sell a game, guess what condition it might be in years late? And as a result, that cautionary mentality helps awesome games be preserved and functional.

Some of us are new to ownership, and we'd rather be cautious, than sorry.

I say ask away with questions, and ideally folks not as new to the hobby, be patient, and remember years ago, that you wore the shoes we currently are just trying on.

#8071 4 years ago

Hope this means the rest of the le orders will ship around the same time

Screenshot_20190424-145105_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190424-145105_Chrome (resized).jpg
#8072 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It's not a bad thing for a new owner to want to make sure they feel their new game, (for most people an entirely gratuitous purchase, is protected upfront) so years down the road maintenance is kept minimal, and even more so, parts that might be unattainable aren't needed. I don't know anyone in my world personally, that could "afford" a purchase like this, myself included really. I've started working at least 12 hours of overtime each week, to make these games a viable option.
So if someone feels just after purchase, the desire to protect as much as they can within reason, good for them, and good for the hobby. Down the road, if they ever do sell a game, guess what condition it might be in years late? And as a result, that cautionary mentality helps awesome games be preserved and functional.
Some of us are new to ownership, and we'd rather be cautious, than sorry.
I say ask away with questions, and ideally folks not as new to the hobby, be patient, and remember years ago, that you wore the shoes we currently are just trying on.

Understood - a lot of Pirates owners (on this thread anyway) seem to be new to the hobby and these games are very expensive. It's natural for anyone to want to take care of it as reasonably as possible.

That said, for your own piece of mind if nothing else, you guys should RELAX a little and not be concerned about every single possible wear or mechanical issue that might occur with the game. No offense intended - just passing on some friendly advice (FWIW) from someone who has been around a while in this hobby.

#8073 4 years ago

That said, for your own piece of mind if nothing else, you guys should RELAX a little and not be concerned about every single possible wear or mechanical issue that might occur with the game. No offense intended - just passing on some friendly advice (FWIW) from someone who has been around a while in this hobby.

YES! Just play and enjoy. It's not gonna stay perfect forever, but that's not why you bought it. (If it is, just leave it in the box and it will stay perfect forever.)

#8074 4 years ago

Can somebody tell many tell me how many limited edition Pirates of the Caribbean they made

#8075 4 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Can somebody tell many tell me how many limited edition Pirates of the Caribbean they made

No one outside JJP knows, but does it matter?

#8076 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No one outside JJP knows, but does it matter?

Hey owners a couple of quick questions. I currently have two machines a TNA and a BM66. My wife loves the BM66 and plays it every day but overall I think the TNA is too intense for her (she also hates the "you failed," at the end for some some reason, seriously she keeps bringing this up). I'm thinking she will like pirates as she loves toys in games, but it's hard to know without playing it. Any thoughts on the intensity scale of pirates rated on the TNA to BM66 scale?

#8077 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I've started working at least 12 hours of overtime each week, to make these games a viable option.

LOVE!

And much respect.

The ones that REALLY want it always seem to find a way. I'm not rich either, by no means - just very fortunate, blessed, and lucky for the time being and extremely humble.

It's just so damn cool to say you own one of these things...or more. I told someone at Best Buy earlier today and he just lit up with awe. How did this conversation possibly take place? Well, you see, I'm desiring to turn one of my spare bed rooms into a "mini" theatre. (I had an actual large size room all planned for it, but my love for pocket billiards is great). Well anyways, I was chatting about different tvs and ya know how they always have those pictures and videos playing that just look surreal? Well one of them was a pinball machine...like the ball rolling around and what not and I took note of it and the rest is history.

My "biggest" thing was just a rare flipper issue which I have the replacement parts for. I have just been lazy, reluctant, and frankly...busy. I just moved into my new home last October and there's always 2038438 things that need to get done it seems.

I'm REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to spending some quality time with this thing and knock out the "issues" that I have. BP flippers. Tighten loose flippers. Level. Install mods including disc silencer kit. Clean and Wax. Work on the plunger assembly. Work on the audio.

And THEN (I think), I can PLAY. I'll very happily keep you all very informed on my progress and probably even share some photos when it's all said and done.

GOOD times ahead!

#8078 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

YES! Just play and enjoy. It's not gonna stay perfect forever, but that's not why you bought it. (If it is, just leave it in the box and it will stay perfect forever.)

I agree and so I'm definitely going to have fun while playing it. And again, home collection, so it should be good for a "very" long time with proper maintenance and care.

#8079 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Hey owners a couple of quick questions. I currently have two machines a TNA and a BM66. My wife loves the BM66 and plays it every day but overall I think the TNA is too intense for her (she also hates the "you failed," at the end for some some reason, seriously she keeps bringing this up). I'm thinking she will like pirates as she loves toys in games, but it's hard to know without playing it. Any thoughts on the intensity scale of pirates rated on the TNA to BM66 scale?

I think rating something by intensity is subjective, but TNA is by far a faster game than Pirates. Everything about TNA is designed to make it intense! I'd say BM66 is also slightly faster than Pirates but only because it's a standard body vs wide body.

#8080 4 years ago

Understood - a lot of Pirates owners (on this thread anyway) seem to be new to the hobby and these games are very expensive. It's natural for anyone to want to take care of it as reasonably as possible.

I'm glad you feel that way, I'm just at the point where I feel like too many technical questions are asked and then a "just play it, it's meant to be bashed" vibe is sent out there, almost daily.

Lest, (God I don't want or ever say "lest") I mention that people saying things to that nature, had as many issues as new owners might now, months back, and "cluttered" this thread with their own new user dilemmas and updates daily. (I know because I've been reading since then, and backtracked even further, to try and prevent redundant questions.)

Also, this game was blasted out with many JJP let's play style videos for months on end, prior to full release late late summer/early fall, so there's not a ton of new gameplay didcussion updates that can really occur at this point. I guarantee a year from now, new user woes won't exist, and we all might be griping about similar issues on Wonka/#6 threads about repetitive nonsense jabber.

All I can say personally, is that I've acquired new pinball knowledge mechanically, via this game, and that will help me in the future, and ideally give informed advice to others as well.

That said, I talked to Jack for a few minutes today, and Frank for a good while, discussing getting my game running in optimal condition. Jack seems a real and transparent person, and I'm really happy he's in the business at this level, and anyone that's works for JJP that I've asked questions of, seem genuinely pleasant and willing to help to the fullest extent. So for that, I'm pretty happy.

For me, I pummel most of my queries behind closed doors. PinMonk and @LTG, among others, have gotten many questions, and always been patient, informed, and kind.

#8081 4 years ago

Here's an LE if someone is still looking near the PNW (of course days after I bought a routed LE!) seattle.craigslist.org link

#8082 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

My wife loves pirates. She doesn’t care for TNA either.

#8083 4 years ago

IMO, it’s hard to not like and appreciate this game if you like pinball like that.

Like, I’m not a Pirates fan. Not in the slightest... Okay?

This game is just special...

#8084 4 years ago

How do you guys feel about the company that produced TNA?

#8085 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Here's an LE if someone is still looking near the PNW (of course days after I bought a routed LE!) seattle.craigslist.org link

Weird ad. Don't want to sell it... But I will. After 30 plays? Really? That's not even enough plays to start tweaking it IMO.

#8086 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Hope this means the rest of the le orders will ship around the same time
[quoted image]

So did this get changed today? I called automated literally yesterday and they said they were all spoken for. Do we think they are actually getting more to sell? Their website didn't change and says they're all gone. Hmmm

#8087 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

How do you guys feel about the company that produced TNA?

Spooky Pinball. Great company. Headed by Chuck Emery, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

https://thingsthatgobumpmovie.com/ There is a documentary that covers their beginnings.

#8088 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So did this get changed today? I called automated literally yesterday and they said they were all spoken for. Do we think they are actually getting more to sell? Their website didn't change and says they're all gone. Hmmm

They have more coming, but they're all presold. The next LE batch they're getting to fulfill the rest of their order from months ago is the last.

#8089 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They have more coming, but they're all presold. The next LE batch they're getting to fulfill the rest of their order from months ago is the last.

Curious why they'd announce it as if they were for sale. Lame.

#8090 4 years ago

The ad says standard in the headline. Maybe there are a few standards and CEs left.

#8091 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I wouldn't trust automated with $10k in cash, i'll barely even consider buying parts from them. Shifty sales tatics on used parts.

My point is that they probably don't have LE's.

#8092 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Weird ad. Don't want to sell it... But I will. After 30 plays? Really? That's not even enough plays to start tweaking it IMO.

I think I talked to the guy (I think he's on here) and that's basically what he told me. I can see this happening, some people just don't play a lot and buy the machines because they like them. Sounded on the up and up. I am half tempted to get it and sell the more used one I just got.

#8093 4 years ago

I think I talked to the guy (I think he's on here) and that's basically what he told me. I can see this happening, some people just don't play a lot and buy the machines because they like them. Sounded on the up and up. I am half tempted to get it and sell the more used one I just got.

That is a good idea.

#8094 4 years ago

I would go for it too!

#8095 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm glad you feel that way, I'm just at the point where I feel like too many technical questions are asked and then a "just play it, it's meant to be bashed" vibe is sent out there, almost daily.
Lest, (God I don't want or ever say "lest") I mention that people saying things to that nature, had as many issues as new owners might now, months back, and "cluttered" this thread with their own new user dilemmas and updates daily. (I know because I've been reading since then, and backtracked even further, to try and prevent redundant questions.)
Also, this game was blasted out with many JJP let's play style videos for months on end, prior to full release late late summer/early fall, so there's not a ton of new gameplay didcussion updates that can really occur at this point. I guarantee a year from now, new user woes won't exist, and we all might be griping about similar issues on Wonka/#6 threads about repetitive nonsense jabber.
All I can say personally, is that I've acquired new pinball knowledge mechanically, via this game, and that will help me in the future, and ideally give informed advice to others as well.
That said, I talked to Jack for a few minutes today, and Frank for a good while, discussing getting my game running in optimal condition. Jack seems a real and transparent person, and I'm really happy he's in the business at this level, and anyone that's works for JJP that I've asked questions of, seem genuinely pleasant and willing to help to the fullest extent. So for that, I'm pretty happy.
For me, I pummel most of my queries behind closed doors. vireland and LTG, among others, have gotten many questions, and always been patient, informed, and kind.

Sincerely, please never assume the just have fun and play are in Any way a group mentality to say we are not interested in helping those new to the hobby. Absolutely certain that is not the intension or vibe this forum is trying to convey. As you mention many Are new to this hobby and the Actual message being promoted is to not Fear enjoying and playing the game! We were ALL new at one point and like yourself if a seasoned contributor of the hobby said you MUST get this wax or gadget before playing I would freeze and say Oh my god I have to do that!! After years of playing in this hobby you will Hopefully find the confidence/knowledge to say "Its going to be fine, don't overanalyze it!" For the most part, we are Trying to comfort you and others into NOT spending all your hard earned money on things you don't Have to buy based on assumption or speculation. It's a toy not an investment. As long as it brings you the joy you imagined the result is Priceless! Scratches and All.

#8096 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

That is a good idea.

You guys are no help.

Who wants to call my wife and tell her I should buy another machine same as the one I just got?

#8097 4 years ago

You guys are no help.
Who wants to call my wife and tell her I should buy another machine same as the one I just got?

I would be tempted to do it. Just be up front about it. Compared to buying a CE you will still be way ahead right?

#8098 4 years ago

You guys are no help.

Lol too funny yet I have Sadly had to have that conversation with my wife before..... She sides with my crazy plans after I convinced her we needed by Spare NIB BM66 LE's to store. Now she understands my craziness after selling it. lol

And FYI, if your going to be pummeled at Least go for a CE! Make it worth the fight!!

#8099 4 years ago

I will.

No problem.

#8100 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I will.
No problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
$ 38.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,868 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/162?hl=breger1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.