(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 377.
#7201 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A couple of maintenance items for tonight.
1. I was getting the shooter catching the autoplunger, and no attempt to move the shooter would fix it. I examined the playfield hooks and they did not appear to be bent. I ended up putting some thick weatherstripping underneath each hook, and that resolved the issue by raising the playfield enough that the shooter clears. I did have to re-level the game after this, of course.
2. To combat the chipping on the slingshot posts, I replaced all 3 posts on both slings with the star posts, and the silicone washers underneath them to keep the stars from creating new chips. This did hide the damaged areas and I am optimistic that the squishy washer will prevent more pressure damage. However, after doing this, the sling sensitivity is much lower. It only kicks when there is a very solid hit. I attribute this to the higher position of the sling rubber due to the washer. I haven’t tried to fix it yet, I will either adjust the leafs to restore the sensitivity or remove the washers.
3. I put some wire loom on the wires under the Pearl to avoid chafing and hopefully prevent balls from catching here.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

On Item #2 I suspect the issue is the Star posts you added are a larger diameter then the straight posts JJP originally installed which moved the rubber out further which is seen in your photo from the blades.

#7202 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On Item #2 I suspect the issue is the Star posts you added are a larger diameter then the straight posts JJP originally installed which moved the rubber out further which is seen in your photo from the blades.

Yeah you could be right. Wider not taller. Either way the fix is the same; adjust the leafs.
As a side note, post passing seems easier with the star posts.

#7203 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Currently have the ship off to install the map Cliffy protectors, going well. With the mini playfield off I was wondering if it would be worth it to mylar the chapter select magnet area? Think its needed?

Yes. I installed fake mylar.

#7204 4 years ago

Weeeeeeee..... Not fun. Or solving anything.

I think I quit for now.

Pirates, you are a nice looking paperweight, but I'm beginning to not like you. A lot.

20190410_011305 (resized).jpg20190410_011305 (resized).jpg20190410_014758 (resized).jpg20190410_014758 (resized).jpg20190410_014808 (resized).jpg20190410_014808 (resized).jpg20190410_014958 (resized).jpg20190410_014958 (resized).jpg
#7205 4 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Yes. I installed fake mylar.

What is fake mylar? I have some vinyl static cling stuff I may try but don't think it will hold up... Free to try and pretty low risk though.

#7206 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think I quit for now.
Pirates, you are a nice looking paperweight, but I'm beginning to not like you. A lot.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will try to take some pics of my game tomorrow. Also no shame in asking jjp to have a look at your pics.

#7207 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I will try to take some pics of my game tomorrow. Also no shame in asking jjp to have a look at your pics.

I contacted Frank late today. I will definitely send some pics. Mostly of me weeping, but also of the game.

Thank you for the concern! I will vicariously live via your functional games.

#7208 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I contacted Frank late today. I will definitely send some pics. Mostly of me weeping, but also of the game.
Thank you for the concern! I will vicariously live via your functional games.

=(

#7209 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A couple of maintenance items for tonight.
1. I was getting the shooter catching the autoplunger, and no attempt to move the shooter would fix it. I examined the playfield hooks and they did not appear to be bent. I ended up putting some thick weatherstripping underneath each hook, and that resolved the issue by raising the playfield enough that the shooter clears. I did have to re-level the game after this, of course.
2. To combat the chipping on the slingshot posts, I replaced all 3 posts on both slings with the star posts, and the silicone washers underneath them to keep the stars from creating new chips. This did hide the damaged areas and I am optimistic that the squishy washer will prevent more pressure damage. However, after doing this, the sling sensitivity is much lower. It only kicks when there is a very solid hit. I attribute this to the higher position of the sling rubber due to the washer. I haven’t tried to fix it yet, I will either adjust the leafs to restore the sensitivity or remove the washers.
3. I put some wire loom on the wires under the Pearl to avoid chafing and hopefully prevent balls from catching here.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AWESOME job on everything, but especially the wire loom underneath the BP. Was that difficult?

#7210 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

So I had my switch #48 error last night when I opened the machine. I tried to move the ship and it was stuck really good. I hit and sink the ship through the hole all the time, so I was confused. Well the ship wasn't moving. After messing around, I finally found that the bracket behind the backboard was binding against the wire loom coming from the head. It was a quick fix with a dremel. I just ground down a little of the bracket and everything is moving smoothly.
Just wanted to post this in case others come across this issue and they are scratching their head. It had me puzzled for a moment because I couldn't see anything binding. When I'd pull the play field out to inspect, it wouldn't bind anymore. That's when the light bulb in my head went off.

THIS should be a key post!

IDK what a dremel is, BUT ... I'm pretty sure this is my issue. Let me see if I can do anything hasty tonight to manipulate this wire loom on the back left.

#7211 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

THIS should be a key post!
IDK what a dremel is, BUT ... I'm pretty sure this is my issue. Let me see if I can do anything hasty tonight to manipulate this wire loom on the back left.

And............fixed! =)

It had enough give to bend to the right (vs the normal bend to the left)
So I felt pretty confident when I moved the loom because I knew it wouldn't be interfering with the wire loom at that point.

And the switch works perfectly.

I notice that the dauntless sometimes hands up on the malestrom and doesn't come back...

The game is getting a little better every day.. =)

#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

What is fake mylar? I have some vinyl static cling stuff I may try but don't think it will hold up... Free to try and pretty low risk though.

I believe this is it. Years ago, I bought some Avery vinyl sheets. They've worked well for me, but I don't ever apply them over playfield inserts as I recall reading about at least 1 person having issues with the decals/graphics on top of inserts lifting with the vinyl.

#7213 4 years ago

Man..I'm TRYING really hard to enjoy this game...

Looks like the right flipper on the BP is only going up about half as much as the left flipper.
Maybe just a loose flipper?

I'll have to investigate tomorrow.

Night all...

#7214 4 years ago

I removed everything from the receiver bar, pushed the main bar a bit towards the left and finally got it seated with some consistency. Though to do so I needed to leave the three smaller screws out....

Tomorrow I'll put the bar back together. Just too tired now.

Small victories.

#7215 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Looks like the right flipper on the BP is only going up about half as much as the left flipper.
Night all...

Might not be a problem. Mine don’t travel equally either and have read others may be similar. As long as you have good control (can you cradle with left flipper a bit) and can make the shots it should be ok. I don’t think the right flipper needs to travel as much as the left.

LTG.... thought?

#7216 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Might not be a problem. Mine don’t travel equally either and have read others may be similar. As long as you have good control (can you cradle with left flipper a bit) and can make the shots it should be ok. I don’t think the right flipper needs to travel as much as the left.
LTG.... thought?

Mine is the same. Maybe it’s intentional to make loading the cannon easier.

#7217 4 years ago

Is the BP flipper issue really intentional?

I feel like it was fine from the beginning.

Interesting.

#7218 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Unknown. I noticed my BP flippers were mismatched and was going to adjust them but decided to keep it because the higher left flipper backhands the cannon shot better.

Your mileage may vary.

#7219 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I feel like it was fine from the beginning.
Interesting.

It's normal.

#7220 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think I quit for now.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking for in these pictures. I don't see anything abnormal?

#7221 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking for in these pictures. I don't see anything abnormal?

I agree... when taking pictures: maybe use a pencil as pointer or small blue tape tabs, as indicators, where the issues are.

#7222 4 years ago

Turned my game back on after installing the map Cliffys last night. Thankfully everything plays great! The map hole shot is slightly more difficult to hit now but I think this is a good thing as it results in the map awards occurring a bit less often.

Overall just super impressed with this game. What a beautiful, deep, and rich pinball experience. I was playing this morning and noticed after playing a multiball or mode that the ship movment had sped up. Seeing things like that and then being able to slow the ship down with the character Cotton is pretty cool.

#7223 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Anyone else turn there shaker motor all the way up?

I turned the shaker motor all the way up and played a few games with it on 'Extreme Mode'. It felt like holding a jackhammer in your hands. Not sure on how this will affect the connections over time so I turned it back down to High and play on that setting.

#7224 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Sure would be nice if there was a separate JJP POTC tech issues thread. This club thread seems to be dominated by repeated issues - many of them from owners new to the hobby.
Doesn't make for lively gameplay/strategy discussions and leaves others with the impression that JJP POTC is nothing but problems.
Just sayin'.

I couldn’t agree more. I always get excited when I see there a 50 new posts. I’m thinking maybe the new code drop. Then I read through and find the same questions and issues repeated. I wish there was a way to not allow a post without reading the whole thread first.

#7225 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Unknown. I noticed my BP flippers were mismatched and was going to adjust them but decided to keep it because the higher left flipper backhands the cannon shot better.
Your mileage may vary.

Fair enough.
Yes. The left flipper is “normal” and the right is like “half.” Simple comparison.

Alright. One less thing to worry about!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7226 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I couldn’t agree more. I always get excited when I see there a 50 new posts. I’m thinking maybe the new code drop. Then I read through and find the same questions and issues repeated. I wish there was a way to not allow a post without reading the whole thread first.

I am absolutely game for moving tech support to a POTC problems and issues thread. The hope with the potcfixes doc was to centralize the info, help people find answers faster and reduce the noise in here.

#7227 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I agree... when taking pictures: maybe use a pencil as pointer or small blue tape tabs, as indicators, where the issues are.

Oh I agree about using an indicator. It was more taking the apron off and trying to see how the hanger tabs looked, the one's that have been giving me issues since day one.

That was also on about two hours sleep from the prior night working on this machine...

Quoted from NightTrain:

I understand things can get frustrating on a forum thread based for a game, but it's also as or more frustrating for a new owner when issues pop up, and there's no tech hovering around to help them first-hand. If this were a $10 product, I'd feel far more like that myself, but it's greatly distressing for new owners, and lingers on our minds until these issues are corrected with the help of thread and game vets.

For a month or more prior to ownership I bookmarked and read this thread's history thoroughly, and yet still situations unfamiliar pop up. For me I often still search this or other threads first, or PM some folks directly as well.

Code update versus all day panic.

#7228 4 years ago

FWIW...

I plugged in headphones and had absolutely 0 audio clipping.
So I'm not sure if it's a wire or the speaker itself.

#7229 4 years ago

This is normal?

I figured a quick snap wouldn't hurt.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7230 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

This is normal?
[quoted image]

Yes - mine is exactly the same. It's that way intentionally so that you can make the canon shot with either flipper.

#7231 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yes - mine is exactly the same. It's that way intentionally so that you can make the canon shot with either flipper.

Nice! Okay! =)

Here am I to know? =P

#7232 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

This is normal?
[quoted image]

It’s not normal. Read posts after mine. The fix is simple, loosen the pawl nut, re-position the flipper and retighten. And no, you don’t need to remove the upper playfield.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691

D0DADEA4-F14C-4ED8-BDC2-767E176D0686 (resized).jpegD0DADEA4-F14C-4ED8-BDC2-767E176D0686 (resized).jpeg
#7233 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

It’s not normal. Read posts after mine. The fix is simple, loosen the pawl nut, re-position the flipper and retighten. And no, you don’t need to remove the upper playfield.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691

Hmm interesting. Would be nice to know for sure. I have no problems hitting all targets on the ship with the right flipper.

#7234 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Hmm interesting. Would be nice to know for sure. I have no problems hitting all targets on the ship with the right flipper.

I’ve suggested this fix to Derek some time ago and Eric himself upvoted the post. If I was wrong, someone would have said so.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/55#post-4775553

#7235 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Night all...

Yes, lose flipper. Both of mine were lose out of box....

#7236 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691[quoted image]

Quoted from DerGoetz:

Yes, lose flipper. Both of mine were lose out of box....

Awesome guys!

I THOUGHT it was the same before ...

#7237 4 years ago

The audio clipping seems minimal...or better.

And what I mean by that is just a hint of static here and there.
Is no one really experiencing this whatsoever?

#7238 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I’ve suggested this fix to Derek some time ago and Eric himself upvoted the post. If I was wrong, someone would have said so.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/55#post-4775553

Thanks! I’ll fix mine when I pull the ship to do cliffy install.

#7239 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks! I’ll fix mine when I pull the ship to do cliffy install.

I'll fix mine when I get nut drivers =P ... tomorrow.

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The audio clipping seems minimal...or better.
And what I mean by that is just a hint of static here and there.
Is no one really experiencing this whatsoever?

Yes, a few of us as posted earlier in this thread. If you unplug the headphone cable inside the backbox and it goes away, try to route it away from the green and white power wires in the base cabinet.

#7241 4 years ago

I also get the clipping sound from time to time.

#7242 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Yes, a few of us as posted earlier in this thread. If you unplug the headphone cable inside the backbox and it goes away, try to route it away from the green and white power wires in the base cabinet.

Does that actually fix it?
It's 100% worthwhile if it does...

Edit: Pretty sure that is the little black wire near the bottom of the cabinet on the left. Man I tried to disconnect that molex connector or whatever and failed. Was NOT easy...

#7243 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Does that actually fix it?
It's 100% worthwhile if it does...

Edit: Pretty sure that is the little black wire near the bottom of the cabinet on the left. Man I tried to disconnect that molex connector or whatever and failed. Was NOT easy...

#7244 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691[quoted image]

Your original fix is now a key post FYI. Thanks for the info and details!

#7245 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah you could be right. Wider not taller. Either way the fix is the same; adjust the leafs.
As a side note, post passing seems easier with the star posts.

I added 3/4 clear washers under the standard posts which raised up the sling rubber just slightly. That combined with Titans on the flippers makes post passing pretty much impossible

I also was able to bump the post on the right and get the ball to the end of the flipper for a back-flip into Tortuga - can't seem to do that any longer either. But a harder game is just a bigger challenge

#7246 4 years ago

Oh Wow...

So I used Will Turner (Random select)

I hit the 3rd skill shot to get a spin of the map and to my surprise I was awarded 25,000 on ball 1.

That's a neat trick!

#7247 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This is absolutely not true. Per Frank@JJP and the various streams from Eric they should be the same and parallel to the gate/rails behind flipper. The cannon shot is still achievable from both flippers.

Play it however you like though.

#7248 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

This is absolutely not true. Per Frank@JJP and the various streams from Eric they should be the same and parallel to the gate/rails behind flipper. The cannon shot is still achievable from both flippers.
Play it however you like though.

Yep already corrected. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/145#post-4932643

#7249 4 years ago

Twitch video showing how to remove the pearl is a key post now. Any other posts that should be key post anyone can think of recently? Stuff not covered in the zaphx fix link that is.

#7250 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Oh Wow...
So I used Will Turner (Random select)
I hit the 3rd skill shot to get a spin of the map and to my surprise I was awarded 25,000 on ball 1.
That's a neat trick!

I suggest the Buffalo Pinball tutorial. @22:15 they explain why Will has this benefit. They actually go through all the characters pretty good. The big takeaway is that the main benefit listed at the character select screen is NOT always the only benefit you get from picking a character. Of course there are negatives too, but unfortunately, right now in .98 code you have to pick a character and then hold the right flipper for about 3 seconds until you get into the status info.

Watch the video:

95011AFC-4890-46BA-A774-93A17CD228F3 (resized).png95011AFC-4890-46BA-A774-93A17CD228F3 (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/145?hl=nighttrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.