(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10,676 posts
  • 427 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 minutes ago by anathematize
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,869 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

30B4F617-63C6-4DEA-8100-8F3DDE402C79 (resized).jpeg
0615190932 (resized).jpg
IMG_2424 (resized).jpeg
Side art (resized).jpg
Bolt Felt (resized).jpg
0614191638 (resized).jpg
TopperShip (resized).jpg
Chest Coin (resized).jpg
5CF1E91F-B820-4443-83F1-BFAEAF73C84C (resized).jpeg
0614191525 (resized).jpg
C82C521E-A438-463C-9216-43388A8B2A54 (resized).jpeg
BD3CB53B-4EFC-41BB-84B3-C6BC6D83C198 (resized).jpeg
29449973-1978-4C3F-A843-975EE9012502 (resized).jpeg
37828725-82B2-44D3-BB3F-F76D16FF97A4 (resized).jpeg
0017449D-E5BC-4158-9739-C357237E3D24 (resized).jpeg
0613192041a_HDR (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10676 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 214.
#6601 74 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm at .98, and had the JJP logo kick on once, but not a second time.

On my prior JJP games, the sound would only play 1 out of every 4 logo splashes.

#6602 74 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Would you be able to take photos of where you applied mylar?

Yeah, I was just told up above there is no attract music. Weird.

Here ya go, used another pic in this thread. Apply it to the inside corner or the lockdown bar up to the edge.

Capture (resized).JPG

#6603 73 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here ya go, used another pic in this thread. Apply it to the inside corner or the lockdown bar up to the edge.
[quoted image]

Anyone know where the Ground Loop Isolator is located?

I'm guessing this is a DVI connector, versus the HDMI from initial models, correct?

20190402_233533 (resized).jpg
#6604 73 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Anyone know where the Ground Loop Isolator is located?
I'm guessing this is a DVI connector, versus the HDMI from initial models, correct?
[quoted image]

The ground loop isolator is a square box along the right edge of the backbox.

Yes that’s a DVI connector, you have the best monitor!

#6605 73 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The ground loop isolator is a square box along the right edge of the backbox.
Yes that’s a DVI connector, you have the best monitor!

I was just going to say, I thought this was an issue when I opened it, the cable is slightly disconnected.

Oh that's nice! I figured since this was late January it might be. Is there a way to adjust settings on the monitor while I'm back here?

Might be the best, but it's definitely saggy.

Nope, that was connected fine! Is there a specific spot to check to see if the soundcard is connected appropriately? I have a solid buzz while the game is active.
20190402_231711 (resized).jpg20190402_234158 (resized).jpg

#6606 73 days ago

This is a noob question; when picking up this game is there a side the cardboard box can lay on when transporting (other than the bottom ); or is that a no-no?

Basically, if you know where the bottom of the game is, can it ride like that in the box home, or will that somehow damage something? (e.g. due to the cab laying on packing materials, stuff sliding, I don't know...)

#6607 73 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

This is a noob question; when picking up this game is there a side the cardboard box can lay on when transporting (other than the bottom ); or is that a no-no?
Basically, if you know where the bottom of the game is, can it ride like that in the box home, or will that somehow damage something? (e.g. due to the cab laying on packing materials, stuff sliding, I don't know...)

You'll see a side that says "truck this side only". You're good to lay that down on that side, and also use a dolly on that side.

#6608 73 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

when picking up this game is there a side the cardboard box can lay on when transporting

One side says "Truck This Side Only". That is the bottom of the cabinet side and safe to transport with the "Truck This Side Only" side down.

LTG : )

#6609 73 days ago

Thank you both. Lloyd you are a legend for a reason!

And Wesman you are pretty good too

#6610 73 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Thank you both. Lloyd you are a legend for a reason!
And Wesman you are pretty good too

Lloyd is the man!!! Truly I am not worthy!

Feel free to PM me with any new user questions. I've been learning and listening for the past six months. Many people on here are often very courteous and willing, and much more informed, than myself.

tenor (2) (resized).png
#6611 73 days ago

Hi everyone. Took delivery for my PotC LE #192 today. Very exciting but think Im having a couple of the issues that have been described in the thread and some that I don't believe have. First and foremost the machine is an absolute blast. Second I'm fairly new to pin ownership. Long story short I acquired a F-14 tomcat a couple months ago for $100. The parents immediately wanted to trade it (they wanted to play now not later) for a new machine I told them I would enjoy repairing the F-14 and it could take a while. The deal became you fix the old one and maybe we can get a new one. Fast forward 2 months and some blood sweat and tears the F-14 plays amazing. So Took mom to TPF and she decided that PotC needed to be in the house. Oh and most important thanks for any and all help

Ok so for the current issues I know of (plan on contacting dist tomorrow)

1. Have 1 lightboard that is DOA. upon inspection the cat5 cable running to it was waaay to tight. Replaced it with one that was longer to test but still did not work.
2. Left spinner by depths light does not light. When running through the test it does turn on but display says its on a unused circuit (one of the ones close to the end)
3. Ball shooter tip looks like a cat used it as a chew toy for a couple hours before it was put on.
4. Couple targets on upper playfield are too close together causing both to go off when one is hit. Easy fix adjust switch
5. Playfield is super tight in cabinet. When reinserting playfield aside from it being tight there seems to be more resistance the last bit then there should be. I made sure the harness on the right was not getting pinched and the harness on the left nothing to pinch on. What am I doing wrong?
6. Playfield is not hanging from the hangers correctly. Right side sits in slot left side sits just a smidge above lockdown bar. May have something to do with issue 5
7. There are bumps and divots on the spinner not sure if they are supposed to be there. does not seem like bubbles though so idk. Oh and spinner seems loud as !@#$. Might look into the silencing kit but personally feel like it should be quieter from factory
8. Think I might be having the chest lock issue. dont know the rules yet though so maybe I'm doing it wrong. When lock is available to me it seems like I have to hit it super hard in there to get the ball to make a U-turn. Had one instance where ball wasnt released form chest at end of game. then following game machine got confused and released both balls after locking the first.
9. You should not be able to light fuse until doing the spinners and hitting load cannon correct? had a couple times where ball when past the gate and just fell to playfield. Dont think this is correct.
10. Noticed in the software there was 1 bulb that did not test and when I looked where software show me bulb is there is a spotlight and not a gi.

I'm sure there's more but super tired. Thanks again for any help ( a couple of the issues I know are in the Zaphx guide)

#6612 73 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

In my goodie bag were two mylar stickers. I think these are for that purpose, because you'll find it in the manual. On my Dialed In these were already applied from the factory. I attached them now the same way.

#6613 73 days ago
Quoted from Demwyn:

In my goodie bag were two mylar stickers. I think these are for that purpose, because you'll find it in the manual. On my Dialed In these were already applied from the factory. I attached them now the same way.

Can you please post a photo?
I'll get my CE today!!

#6614 73 days ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Can you please post a photo?
I'll get my CE today!!

Sure... Same mylars and same way as attached on my DI LE lockbar

6169BED0-8B70-4F64-969D-DAF78F74694D (resized).jpeg7DE81EF3-CDC2-4EED-91B3-97AF52806A93 (resized).jpeg
#6615 73 days ago
Quoted from Demwyn:

Sure... Same mylars and same way as attached on my DI LE lockbar
[quoted image][quoted image]

I wish I knew about that my Hobbit Le Lockdown bar used to move and scratched off some of the powder coating . Got it adjusted so it doesn't move anymore but now the lock down lever is super hard to open and close , whereas my fish tales Lockdown bar doesn't move a millimetre and the handle opens and closes smooth as silk .

IMG20190403200234 (resized).jpg
#6616 73 days ago

What's great about this game is I just posted my highest score (1.3) after playing two wizard modes not using the character that allows you to select movie chapters. I thought she would be necessary to get wizard modes but I believe I used the guy with longer MB or MB save with multiple drain.

Now I'm going to try the guy that makes chapter completion easier. I love the character selection in this game. Really allows you to approach it differently and as a video game guy is very familiar

#6617 73 days ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I wish I knew about that my Hobbit Le Lockdown bar used to move and scratched off some of the powder coating . Got it adjusted so it doesn't move anymore but now the lock down lever is super hard to open and close , whereas my fish tales Lockdown bar doesn't move a millimetre and the handle opens and closes smooth as silk .
[quoted image]

Pretty sure my DI doesn’t have the Mylar and this happened to my game as well. I’ll double check but I have those same scratches, and yeah all JJP lockdown bars are a pain and never feel like they’ll fit.

#6618 73 days ago

Propper flipper alignment of right flipper does make the trunk shot a lot easier

#6619 73 days ago

Got my LE up and running yesterday. Put around 20 games on it and thankfully its playing perfectly so far. May have a minor issue with some Super Shiny pinballs getting slightly magnetized at the chest but will see.

Before playing it at home I had only played it on location. What a difference. I can finally hear all of the callouts and music. David Thiel did an incredible job with the games music and sound affects as did Kevin McNally for the games callouts. Even though theres no actor audio and actor video in the game I think it worked out extremely well for the game as otherwise the ruleset wouldn't have been designed the way it is. The ruleset for the game feels like a blend between LOTR and WOZ in my opinion.

#6620 73 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ruleset for the game feels like a blend between LOTR and WOZ in my opinion.

This is exactly what I was hoping for!

#6621 73 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Got my LE up and running yesterday. Put around 20 games on it and thankfully its playing perfectly so far. May have a minor issue with some Super Shiny pinballs getting slightly magnetized at the chest but will see.

There is no magnet at the chest, however the Star Map to the right of it has a magnet. Either way, I'd definitely use only carbon case pinballs in JJPOTC

#6622 73 days ago

1. Contact distro on this one, I guess DOA light board. Unfortunate.
2. What do you mean by does not light? Do you mean when you are in the switch tests and you spin it, it doesn't light? If you start a game and fling a ball through the spinner by hand, does it advance the far right "ship" on the LCD towards devil's triangle?
5. Did you remove the foam shipping block from the back of the PF? It's held in place with a bolt.
7. Do you mean the spinning disc? Might be some bubbles since it's just a decal. And yes they are loud, the silencing kit from the mod couple is a must have. It's unfortunate JJP never did any fixes for the disc noise.
8. Your chest forks may be loose.

Quoted from GnarLee:

1. Have 1 lightboard that is DOA. upon inspection the cat5 cable running to it was waaay to tight. Replaced it with one that was longer to test but still did not work.
2. Left spinner by depths light does not light. When running through the test it does turn on but display says its on a unused circuit (one of the ones close to the end)
3. Ball shooter tip looks like a cat used it as a chew toy for a couple hours before it was put on.
4. Couple targets on upper playfield are too close together causing both to go off when one is hit. Easy fix adjust switch
5. Playfield is super tight in cabinet. When reinserting playfield aside from it being tight there seems to be more resistance the last bit then there should be. I made sure the harness on the right was not getting pinched and the harness on the left nothing to pinch on. What am I doing wrong?
6. Playfield is not hanging from the hangers correctly. Right side sits in slot left side sits just a smidge above lockdown bar. May have something to do with issue 5
7. There are bumps and divots on the spinner not sure if they are supposed to be there. does not seem like bubbles though so idk. Oh and spinner seems loud as !@#$. Might look into the silencing kit but personally feel like it should be quieter from factory
8. Think I might be having the chest lock issue. dont know the rules yet though so maybe I'm doing it wrong. When lock is available to me it seems like I have to hit it super hard in there to get the ball to make a U-turn. Had one instance where ball wasnt released form chest at end of game. then following game machine got confused and released both balls after locking the first.
9. You should not be able to light fuse until doing the spinners and hitting load cannon correct? had a couple times where ball when past the gate and just fell to playfield. Dont think this is correct.
10. Noticed in the software there was 1 bulb that did not test and when I looked where software show me bulb is there is a spotlight and not a gi.
I'm sure there's more but super tired. Thanks again for any help ( a couple of the issues I know are in the Zaphx guide)

#6623 73 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Wow, that's lot of issues for NIB! I stand by my statement that JJP has serious QC issues. Anyway, for #4 I had a similar problem with the star map standups. I used a couple washers under one of the two screws to angle the touching standups away from each other. For #7, mine and another POTC the disk had small bumps or divots, I'm guessing this is normal. Congrats on the new pin!

#6624 73 days ago

I've hit all mini wiz modes but one. Last night I used Tia Dalma and focused on the Maelstrom shot. I finally hit that wiz mode, but man, for some reason I have a hard time getting the timing for that left ramp shot.

Had the purple wiz mode lit. I fired several shots up the left but they were just short of registering, then I drained. Game over. Arrrrrrrrrrrrr.

#6625 73 days ago

gnarlee
#5 issue- Is the shipping block removed from back of PF?
When I put my PF back in it is a little tight and rubs the corrugated tubing. So I gently rock it as I go down using the apron under the lcd as a hand hold. That helps me any way.

#6626 73 days ago

And yes to @f3honda4me answers.
I installed the silencer kit and it helped a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6627 73 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

There is no magnet at the chest, however the Star Map to the right of it has a magnet. Either way, I'd definitely use only carbon case pinballs in JJPOTC

He is saying that the balls are getting magnetized and stuck in the chest. This happened to me as well when I switched balls. I installed some carbon balls and was good to go.

#6628 73 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Get the silencer kit. I agree 100% that it's loud as f&%k from the factory. Blows my mind they send these things out the door like that.

#6629 73 days ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Get the silencer kit. I agree 100% that it's loud as f&%k from the factory. Blows my mind they send these things out the door like that.

I guess I got lucky. My disk is not loud, just out of the box a couple weeks old. I can hear it, but it doesn't distract you. We will see if it changes over time.

#6630 73 days ago

Mine really load. I play with the volume at 22 which is pretty load with a external sub. I could still hear it spinning was driving me nuts!
So I got the Mod Couples silencer kit and installed and until I got used to it, I did not even know it was spinning!
Definitely a must if yours is loud. It is a easy mod to do and the instructions were perfect, with a touch of comedy in them!!!

#6631 73 days ago

Tuna streamed the removal of the Black Pearl last night if you guys wanna see how to do it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405272384

#6632 73 days ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Tuna streamed the removal of the Black Pearl last night if you guys wanna see how to do it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405272384

kevinbuffalo can you give us a time index of when he does this??

#6633 73 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Never mind, found it. He starts at about 6 minutes in as he has the common broken wire solder join under the Pearl........

#6634 73 days ago

Mine wasn't very loud but I still installed it and after a few games, it was really quiet or not even a consideration so I recommend regardless.

#6635 73 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Starts around the 10 minute mark actually.

#6636 73 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Starts around the 10 minute mark actually.

Actually looks like the whole video will be around R&R'ing the Pearl. Couldn't tell that from the beginning from the video, thought it was just another gameplay video at first.....my bad!

#6637 73 days ago

There's one thing I still can't get working on my POTC and that's the annoying sticking action button. I've tried pretty much everything - bending the angle of the switch extension, removing the rough edge on the inner button shaft, adjusting and polishing the screw on the bottom, and adding lubrication. But the button continues to stick occasionally. Unless someone has another suggestion I guess I'll have to replace the entire unit and switch.

#6638 73 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's one thing I still can't get working on my POTC and that's the annoying sticking action button. I've tried pretty much everything - bending the angle of the switch extension, removing the rough edge on the inner button shaft, adjusting and polishing the screw on the bottom, and adding lubrication. But the button continues to stick occasionally. Unless someone has another suggestion I guess I'll have to replace the entire unit and switch.

the one at TPF had a similar issue, odd since it's such a simple mechanism. Maybe call JJP to see what they suggest.

#6639 73 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Just replace it with a stern button. I just did. Cheap. Simple. Effective.

#6640 73 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

gnarlee
#5 issue- Is the shipping block removed from back of PF?
When I put my PF back in it is a little tight and rubs the corrugated tubing. So I gently rock it as I go down using the apron under the lcd as a hand hold. That helps me any way.

I figured it out. I did have the shipping block removed. The left wire loom was hitting back of dauntless bracket. Did not think anything of it when I first pulled playfield as loom was nicely tucked in corner. Evidently there is not enough clearence there and loom needed to be pushed towards the middle. Now playfield slides in nice, but still not sitting right on hanger (right side sits properly left side there is a 1mm gap)

#6641 73 days ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just replace it with a stern button. I just did. Cheap. Simple. Effective.

Do you have a part# or link? Thanks!

#6643 73 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I figured it out. I did have the shipping block removed. The left wire loom was hitting back of dauntless bracket. Did not think anything of it when I first pulled playfield as loom was nicely tucked in corner. Evidently there is not enough clearence there and loom needed to be pushed towards the middle. Now playfield slides in nice, but still not sitting right on hanger (right side sits properly left side there is a 1mm gap)

I had the same issue for nearly two hours Saturday night. I tried to look at photos to see where those wire looms had been, but really couldn't tell which way would help. I'll note and try this next time. Thank you for your input!

Is it making it in the slots at least?

#6644 73 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I also replace with stern button works great

#6645 73 days ago

Purchased a manual to go with my LE - cool document! Unfortunately, it was bound incorrectly with the back cover on top of the front. Gonna have to take it to Kinkos to get it fixed as the binding machine at my workplace won't accommodate the wire binding used.

ARGH (and not a pirate argh).

#6646 73 days ago

Can a shaker be added to the SE?

#6647 73 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Yeah, I think it's a good blend between both rulesets. LOTR is loaded with progressive based modes while WOZ has a few of those but has many switch points based modes (first 3 Munchkin modes, Crystal ball modes, Haunted modes).

The 125 chapter modes in Pirates are not progressive based but still feel like modes from LOTR in the sense that you have to hit specific shots on the playfield. I tend to prefer hit specific shots type modes versus random switch based modes (hit orbits, pops, all switches, etc) that become dull quickly in my opinion. Every chapter mode in Pirates has you working the playfield in a different way which is pretty cool. Theres also callouts for specific character shots as well as those remaining to help make up for the lack of actor audio / video a bit.

Multiball modes, besides Curse of the Black Pearl, feel a bit like switch based modes with the same shots being hit over and over for jackpots. Wizard modes take things back to LOTR and WOZ mini wizard mode design in the sense they are these separate events that occur in the game and are progressive based. Overall it's a pretty cool ruleset design.

#6648 73 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Mine was having the same issue. With the lock bar removed the button wasn't sticking though, so it seemed like my issue was that the narrow metal switch was slipping to the side of the screw head on the bottom of the button and catching on the underside of the screw head. I tried bending the switch different ways and the way that finally worked for me was to leave the switch flat but push the free end of it (gently!) just a bit toward the playfield so the narrow switch is no longer laying parallel to the front of the cabinet, but instead veering a bit away from it. I had tried bending the angle of the narrow switch or creating a bit of a hump in the middle of it and that didn't work, but just leaving the narrow switch flat and pushing the free end of it toward the playfield a bit so it doesn't slip to the side of the screw any more seemed to do the trick and mine's working reliably now.

And this is the second time I've made the same adjustment to correct it. It had the problem out of the box but it had been working with no issues for months after the first time I fixed it. Then I made a slight adjustment to the lock bar screws and the action button suddenly started catching again. The same nudge to the narrow switch fixed the action button both times though and it's working fine again. Seems as though having a slightly wider piece of metal for that switch so the screw head can't slip past it might clear up that particular issue.

#6649 73 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Wow, that's lot of issues for NIB! I stand by my statement that JJP has serious QC issues.

I think its getting beyond 'serious issues.' Stuff shouldn't be showing up DOA or require a new owner to break out a soldering iron before they can even play their $9000+ toy. Anybody attempting to justifying that as 'well that's just how pinball goes' has lost their gd mind.

I feel bad for the operators of the one we have on location. Its been nothing but a nightmare to support and we still don't have a properly rocking Black Pearl (i think the wiring harness was too tight and just broke) or a canon that can score a direct hit on the dauntless (an issue that looks like its been solved earlier in this thread). The Malestorm diverter has also recently started tossing balls right out of the ramp back onto the playfield if the ball hits it with too much speed. Likely a minor adjustment needed on that one.

#6650 73 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

1. Contact distro on this one, I guess DOA light board. Unfortunate.
2. What do you mean by does not light? Do you mean when you are in the switch tests and you spin it, it doesn't light? If you start a game and fling a ball through the spinner by hand, does it advance the far right "ship" on the LCD towards devil's triangle?
5. Did you remove the foam shipping block from the back of the PF? It's held in place with a bolt.
7. Do you mean the spinning disc? Might be some bubbles since it's just a decal. And yes they are loud, the silencing kit from the mod couple is a must have. It's unfortunate JJP never did any fixes for the disc noise.
8. Your chest forks may be loose.

#2 when I go through the light tests I get to left spinner and it does not light. during gameplay it does not light. I did find a "unused" port in the matrix that made it light. I'm assuming its just plugged into the wrong connector on light board
#5 was addressed in earlier post. Turns out the back bracket for dauntless was hitting the loom. I believe it is supposed to be tucked in the far left corner but there is not enough clearence. I moved the loom from far left to middle and now playfield slides in correctly I still however have the 1mm gap on the hanger. Thinking the last part is a level issue. Going to recheck the levelers bet I have one that is too high/low.
#7 Dont think its bubbles. If it was bubbles I should be able to depress them and get them to stick for a split second. To me feels like their is debris under the sticker. Ill search the pics to look at others and how they look.
#8 on the list to check today

Fixing to do a full runthrough and test game........not looking foward to finding all the non obvious stuuf if there is this much obvious stuff....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Highland Park, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 279.95
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Altos, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Altoona, PA
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10676 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 214.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside