(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 378.
#6551 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I just ordered one of these today; any summary of "must do" fixes on day one? (mylar, cliffy's, anything?).
I ordered the silicone washers from the Fix Guide, but not sure what else to get within reason. I expect some wear and tear, but I remember reading about concerns re: the map area where the balls bounce, scoop chipping etc; it sounded like some cliffy's came with recent versions of the game?
Any help is appreciated!

You don't get cliffies. You get mantis ripoff protectors that are not helpful at all for protecting the chippable surface of the playfield. I'd email cliff ASAP and get a set of his ordered, since it will probably be a month or 6 weeks before your order comes up to be shipped. There's some pictures of the cliffy map hole install, which is the most challenging one on jjPotC in the image gallery on this thread.

Edit: Here's the post for the map hole install - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/123#post-4902185

#6552 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You don't get cliffies. You get mantis ripoff protectors that are not helpful at all for protecting the chippable surface of the playfield. I'd email cliff ASAP and get a set of his ordered, since it will probably be a month or 6 weeks before your order comes up to be shipped. There's some pictures of the cliffy map hole install, which is the most challenging one on jjPotC in the image gallery on this thread.
Edit: Here's the post for the map hole install - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/123#post-4902185

Thank you for the heads up! I have emailed re the protectors. Open to other thoughts though. Not 100 percent sure these will be needed on a home game bit from what I read some have had worse luck than others with chipping.

#6553 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Thank you for the heads up! I have emailed re the protectors. Open to other thoughts though. Not 100 percent sure these will be needed on a home game bit from what I read some have had worse luck than others with chipping.

After dialed in chipped in less than 50 plays, and with some jjPotC on location chipping already, it's not really the amount of play, it's the luck of the draw with the Mirco playfields JJP uses. I wouldn't run a JJP machine without cliffies as a result.

The game's pretty complete as-is, so I don't really have a recommendation for other must have things for it. I do like the Kraken mod because it looks cool, and maybe a 3D barrel top for the lower pop bumper because it will then match the other one next to it better, but that's about it. I'm working on a mod for the star map that will make the light look more star-like, but it's not quite done yet.

#6554 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

After dialed in chipped in less than 50 plays, and with some jjPotC on location chipping already, it's not really the amount of play, it's the luck of the draw with the Mirco playfields JJP uses. I wouldn't run a JJP machine without cliffies as a result.
The game's pretty complete as-is, so I don't really have a recommendation for other must have things for it. I do like the Kracken mod because it looks cool, and maybe a 3D barrel top for the lower pop bumper because it will then match the other one next to it better, but that's about it. I'm working on a mod for the star map that will make the light look more star-like, but it's not quite done yet.

Nice! Thank you again. I think I saw your in progress star mod. Looking forward to your final result!

#6555 5 years ago

Is there a reason why the attract music would cut off after about 2-3 seconds of playing? I'll adjust the volume on the outside volume control, then it cuts off fairly quickly.

I also have a noticeable electric hum when play isn't active from the speakers in the head.

#6556 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is there a reason why the attract music would cut off after about 2-3 seconds of playing? I'll adjust the volume on the outside volume control, then it cuts off fairly quickly.
I also have a noticeable electric hum when play isn't active from the speakers in the head.

Ground loop isolator is what you need to get rid of the hum. Dirt cheap, but I think JJP will send you one if you call tech support.

#6557 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ground loop isolator is what you need to get rid of the hum. Dirt cheap, but I think JJP will send you one if you call tech support.

Oh excellent! That sounds familiar from this thread! I'm missing a manual cd, and topper plugs and screws also. Should I contact my distributor for all of these or JJP tech support?

Would this be causing the attract audio cut out also?

#6558 5 years ago

Thanks so much for this - just ordered an LE and it's incredibly useful to have the most common issues and fixes in one document. Really appreciate you taking the time to put this together!

On another note - I think based upon stories I've heard re the clearcoat chipping on DI I'm going to go for the full set of cliffies. Does anyone have a recommendation re where to order, preferably in Europe?

#6559 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Does anyone have a recommendation re where to order, preferably in Europe?

Try pinball heaven in UK, he sells Cliffy protectors. or best of pinball.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm

#6560 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh excellent! That sounds familiar from this thread! I'm missing a manual cd, and topper plugs and screws also. Should I contact my distributor for all of these or JJP tech support?
Would this be causing the attract audio cut out also?

Did JJP pack topper plugs and screws with some of the LEs? The one we got didn't have them, but I just dipped into my spare parts and made it work.

I'd call JJP tech support directly, you'll probably get faster resolution.

#6561 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm at the point where I'm realizing pinball tables are organic beasts

I love seeing all the new faces to pinball, I have been in this hobby for a little while and still learning everyday. Having great teachers like LTG, Grumpy, HEP, and many others to learn from! Has made learning easy and fun. I never thought I would now how to test IC chips or solder on circuit boards. This hobby for me is greatly rewarding with watching friends and family play. And then I get to fix them when needed!

Quoted from wesman:

This volume adjustment is really only meant for volume control. To give you a brief sound of how loud it will be. It plays for a couple seconds then turns off. There is no really attract music, Though I am hoping for something to be coded in the next release.

#6562 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did JJP pack topper plugs and screws with some of the LEs? The one we got didn't have them, but I just dipped into my spare parts and made it work.
I'd call JJP tech support directly, you'll probably get faster resolution.

It should have come with the game. Mine were missing as well, but just give them a call. They sent mine straight out.

Gerry

#6563 5 years ago

Pirates already has a ground loop isolator installed by the factory (unless it got missed). Go over the audio connections up there and make sure everything is plugged in tightly.

#6564 5 years ago

Out of curiosity, anyone know if the JJP rock tune still plays in the attract mode like in WOZ? Thanks!

#6565 5 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Out of curiosity, anyone know if the JJP rock tune still plays in the attract mode like in WOZ? Thanks!

Yes

#6566 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m guessing the brass screws are too tight which is not allowing the yellow lockbar full travel.

Have to tinker with adjusting my lockdown bar screws as well as I've had to on all of my JJP pins. I wish JJP would switch to the latch style brackets used by Stern for their recent games. While it was likely designed to cut costs it also makes removing and installing the lockdown bar a much easier process.

Also, to anyone getting a new LE / CE be aware that the certificate for the game is now taped to the underside of the cardboard flap of the shipping box. Will be under the invisiglass cleaning instruction paperwork.

#6567 5 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

JJP rock tune still plays in the attract mode

Is this in settings to turn on and off? Mine has never played that!!

#6568 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, to anyone getting a new LE / CE be aware that the certificate for the game is now taped to the underside of the cardboard flap of the shipping box. Will be under the invisiglass cleaning instruction paperwork.

That's good to know.....

thanks

#6569 5 years ago

Maelstrom mod is off to a new owner.

#6570 5 years ago

As a new POTC owner I have a couple of quick questions.

Shots to the chest seem to go in when lock is lit but then just bounce out. Only a really hard shot will cause the ball to go up and into the trunk. Is this normal behaviour?

Secondly, when the ball has gone into the cannon and there is a display on the mini screen, what exactly am I supposed to do with that to time the shot accurately. I'm being a bit obtuse, but can't work it out and am sinking the dauntless by simply watching the position of the physical canon rather than the screen but this can't be right. Is it?

#6571 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

As a new POTC owner I have a couple of quick questions.
Shots to the chest seem to go in when lock is lit but then just bounce out. Only a really hard shot will cause the ball to go up and into the trunk. Is this normal behaviour?
Secondly, when the ball has gone into the cannon and there is a display on the mini screen, what exactly am I supposed to do with that to time the shot accurately. I'm being a bit obtuse, but can't work it out and am sinking the dauntless by simply watching the position of the physical canon rather than the screen but this can't be right. Is it?

Yes you watch the physical position of the canon compared to the dauntless.

For the chest, your forks are probably loose. It's a quick and easy fix to just re-tighten the screws.

#6572 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

We're having the same problem here. Initially, the forks were bent to the right and it was slamming the ball into the side of the chest opening rather than into the chest. I bent them back to the left (they're tight, so that's not it) and now about 30% of the hits to the chest make it into the trunk, but I can't figure out how to get that number up so it's not rejecting so many. It's really the only major issue I have left to tweak to get it all working well.

#6573 5 years ago

What does it mean when you see one of the movie chapter lights flash white real quick?
I also notice that some shot will randomly quickly flash a different color. Does that have anything to do with the star map?

#6574 5 years ago

I finally installed a map cliffy last night. What a pain that was. There were 2 cliffys for the map. Was the 2nd, smaller one supposed to also be installed from the top? I assumed it was installed from under the playfield. But it also seems like a pain to get into. And those arent standard screws. Or did I mess up bigtime and was supposed to stack the 2 cliffys? Will probably leave that one uninstalled. STILL LOVIN' THE GAME THO!

#6575 5 years ago

Thank you! I know it's kind of an odd question but I like the way it starts off with EM sounds then sounds from Space Shuttle before the rock tune. I was curious if it was also in games after WOZ.

#6576 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Is this in settings to turn on and off? Mine has never played that!!

There's a setting in there under system settings for attract mode music on or off - it's off by default. I assume if you turn it on it will play it.

#6577 5 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

I finally installed a map cliffy last night. What a pain that was. There were 2 cliffys for the map. Was the 2nd, smaller one supposed to also be installed from the top? I assumed it was installed from under the playfield. But it also seems like a pain to get into. And those arent standard screws. Or did I mess up bigtime and was supposed to stack the 2 cliffys? Will probably leave that one uninstalled. STILL LOVIN' THE GAME THO!

This post shows the installation of both pieces:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/123#post-4902185

#6578 5 years ago

haha yep i messed up by not stacking them. oh well! gonna leave it this way.

Also thanks for sharing. Maybe I can get those 2 screws out without removing the ship...

#6579 5 years ago

Is the disc silencer kit from mod couple still necessary on the new builds?

#6580 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

AFAIK the spinner design is unchanged. I would review Buffalo Pinball’s videos, they had one where they installed the silencer and you can hear it before/after to assess the impact.

#6581 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

The one we have from mid-feb is LOUD. Seems to have calmed down a little, but it's WAY louder than other games with spinning discs I've played.

#6582 5 years ago

The easy fix is to crank the volume up.

#6583 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

The easy fix is to crank the volume up.

Unfortunately, some locations don't want loud pins, so that's not an option there.

#6584 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We're having the same problem here. Initially, the forks were bent to the right and it was slamming the ball into the side of the chest opening rather than into the chest. I bent them back to the left (they're tight, so that's not it) and now about 30% of the hits to the chest make it into the trunk, but I can't figure out how to get that number up so it's not rejecting so many. It's really the only major issue I have left to tweak to get it all working well.

Don't think my forks are bent. Feels like the switch isn't triggering the forks, but I'll take a look again

#6585 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Don't think my forks are bent. Feels like the switch isn't triggering the forks, but I'll take a look again

REmove the fork mech (5 screws) and confirm the 2 screws that secure the fork are tight. The shot still requires a good solid hit, but if the fork is loose it rejects way more than it should.

#6586 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

You can take a slo-mo video with your phone to help diagnose what's happening. It helped get me from 0% to 30%.

#6587 5 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

There's a setting in there under system settings for attract mode music on or off - it's off by default. I assume if you turn it on it will play it.

Page B-25 in the manual. Attract mode sounds and attract mode music.

LTG : )

#6588 5 years ago

Just a small heads up for owners. The inside corners of the lockdown bar does not have mylar applied which if you are not careful can lead to scratching of the powder coat on the side rails. JJP was applying mylar to the corners of lockdown bars on some or all of their past games, not sure why they stopped with Pirates. I cut a few pieces of mylar and applied it to my lockdown bar today.

#6589 5 years ago

I will switch it on tonight!!!! Thanks!

#6590 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just a small heads up for owners. The inside corners of the lockdown bar does not have mylar applied which if you are not careful can lead to scratching of the powder coat on the side rails. JJP was applying mylar to the corners of lockdown bars on some or all of their past games, not sure why they stopped with Pirates. I cut a few pieces of mylar and applied it to my lockdown bar today.

Thanks again for the heads-up

#6591 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, it's a weird omission.

#6592 5 years ago

Where is attract mode in the menu?

#6593 5 years ago

Nevermind. Mine was on. But I do t recall hearing it do anything.

#6594 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Would you be able to take photos of where you applied mylar?

Quoted from gliebig:

Nevermind. Mine was on. But I do t recall hearing it do anything.

Yeah, I was just told up above there is no attract music. Weird.

#6595 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What does it mean when you see one of the movie chapter lights flash white real quick?
I also notice that some shot will randomly quickly flash a different color. Does that have anything to do with the star map?

if the 'white flash' happens after hitting the starmap/jack sparrow shot - that is the next constellation you need to collect.

basically the game is giving you a hint if you can't figure it out from the actual starmap itself.

#6596 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Attract mode sounds and attract mode

So my attract sound and music is on. I do get the Gibbs speech every now and then when you push a flipper. Still no music though.
I am still running the .96 code so I am guessing I need to update a little!!!
So then is the music come on when the JJP logo comes on?
Is it the same music the is in the sound check in test mode?

#6597 5 years ago

So I figured it out from watching a YouTube video on woz.
It is the same attract song used in the sound test as in the short video of the jjp logo.

#6598 5 years ago

Any idea where this might have come from? Found it near the P in Pirates

20190402_193446 (resized).jpg20190402_193446 (resized).jpg
#6599 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

So my attract sound and music is on. I do get the Gibbs speech every now and then when you push a flipper. Still no music though.
I am still running the .96 code so I am guessing I need to update a little!!!
So then is the music come on when the JJP logo comes on?
Is it the same music the is in the sound check in test mode?

I'm at .98, and had the JJP logo kick on once, but not a second time.

#6600 5 years ago

Side note, I found loosening this screw seemed to help the ball plunge go all the way around like it's supposed to

20190402_194111 (resized).jpg20190402_194111 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,875 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/132?hl=frydaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.