(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 377.
#5901 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

He started a dedicated thread already and answered the question...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-potc-davy-jones-shooter-#post-4893874

I will answer it here too !

Its basically a regular shooter, with a sexy looking gun on the end of it..

I find the full plunge a little slower than before, but better because now the maelstrom flasher has done its job blinking me before it gets to the upper flipper..
The extra weight makes it so. A stiffer spring will restore original strength

#5902 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I will answer it here too !
Its basically a regular shooter, with a sexy looking gun on the end of it..
I find the full plunge a little slower than before, but better because now the maelstrom flasher has done its job blinking me before it gets to the upper flipper..
The extra weight makes it so. A stiffer spring will restore original strength

Does it interfere with pulling the glass off?

#5903 5 years ago
Quoted from Lambow:

Does it interfere with pulling the glass off?

Yes it does. First time I fitted it and wanted to put the glass on I thought f*k, but just twist on its side and good to go

#5904 5 years ago

I am in! Bought a LE today!
I have been drooling over this pin ever since I played the proto 1 year ago. I new I had to have one, now it finally came together!

Now I just need to get space for it in the game room...

#5905 5 years ago

I'm interested...

I have LE. Maybe just the cannon barrel tho. Love to see video of it in action.

Thanks
Kerry

#5906 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

If I can get enough deckswabs on board I will make a limited run of this CE shooter kit.
LE owners no problem , a clean & polished pistol would suit that look better
Feel free to Pm me if interested.
Geert

Count me in for a LE version

#5907 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

We created new hooks before POTC because of this issue. Likely just need to adjust the shooter housing down a bit. Pretty sure you could hang a semi from these hooks now and not bend them. You will see if you pull the apron on Pirates vs Hobbit, for example.

One suggestion for Pirates...can you have both flippers at the same time change the character selection row? Basically, each time you do it, it flips rows to the same position on the opposite row? It would make character selection faster/easier as it sometimes starts far from where you want to be...

#5908 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

One suggestion for Pirates...can you have both flippers at the same time change the character selection row? Basically, each time you do it, it flips rows to the same position on the opposite row? It would make character selection faster/easier as it sometimes starts far from where you want to be...

Also disable coils while picking characters. Just like how it is when you put name for high score.

#5909 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Also disable coils while picking characters. Just like how it is when you put name for high score.

This would be great. The issue here is since the ball kicks to the shooter launch once you press start the coils will be active. They would have to set it so that you press start, pick your character and then ball kicks to shooter lane (i.e. coils are active). They would also have to program it so that it did the same for the additional players. Not sure how feasible that would be - I'm not a programmer.

#5910 5 years ago

jjPotC arrived and is getting set up to go out on the route next week. I need to wire up the topper so the eyes flash in sync with the machine and add cliffies to prevent the nasty chipping I've seen on other unfortunate machines already. I have NO IDEA why JJP didn't continue with cliffies after he solved their Dialed In problems. These mantis-style protectors jjPotC is using are not up to the task of protecting the playfield surface at the holes.
potc-84-small (resized).jpgpotc-84-small (resized).jpg

#5911 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

jjPotC arrived and is getting set up to go out on the route next week. I need to wire up the topper so the eyes flash in sync with the machine and add cliffies to prevent the nasty chipping I've seen on other unfortunate machines already. I have NO IDEA why JJP didn't continue with cliffies after he solved their Dialed In problems. These mantis-style protectors jjPotC is using are not up to the task of protecting the playfield surface at the holes.
[quoted image]

Looks great congrats. No issue with my holes but less people travel through my game room so not so worried.

#5912 5 years ago

Wow lots of LE’s today!

Congrats to all the new deck swabs!

#5913 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wow lots of LE’s today!
Congrats to all the new deck swabs!

Pretty much a frenzy before they're gone, hopefully not forever...

#5914 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

Are Mantis style usually inside versus Cliffy's being outside and over?

#5915 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Are Mantis style usually inside versus Cliffy's being outside and over?

Yeah, that's the basic difference. With the seemingly more brittle clearcoat on playfields for the last 10 years or so, the surface seems to be more in need of protection immediately than the inside edges that will blow out after years and thousands of plays (which was the concern in the diamondplate B/W days). The Dialed In we got cracked and chipped around the SIM card hole within 50 plays. JJP should definitely still be talking to Cliff about protecting their holes, especially after those pictures of the badly chipped hole under the ship. AP isn't immune, either. Houdinis have been cracked and chipped at the edge of the scoop kickout when not protected by a cliffy.

#5916 5 years ago

Today I took on the mildly daunting task of installing RadCals on my LE. It took me a little longer than I expected but I'm real happy with the end results. They are thick and have a highly reflective glossy look to them. I'm pretty stoked. I really like the way they feel too.
Here are some before pics for comparison.

20190319_104627 (resized).jpg20190319_104627 (resized).jpg20190319_104755 (resized).jpg20190319_104755 (resized).jpg20190319_104741 (resized).jpg20190319_104741 (resized).jpg
#5917 5 years ago

Here are some after pics.

20190320_110848 (resized).jpg20190320_110848 (resized).jpg20190320_171731 (resized).jpg20190320_171731 (resized).jpg20190320_171748 (resized).jpg20190320_171748 (resized).jpg20190320_171643 (resized).jpg20190320_171643 (resized).jpg20190320_110857 (resized).jpg20190320_110857 (resized).jpg
#5918 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool. Were they pre-cut?

#5919 5 years ago

This is not necessarily an easy install.
For example, the front piece doesn't come pre-routed out for the start button hole or the volume control hole. So you have to route them out yourself.
Here are some pics.

20190319_105644 (resized).jpg20190319_105644 (resized).jpg20190320_143920 (resized).jpg20190320_143920 (resized).jpg20190320_143926 (resized).jpg20190320_143926 (resized).jpg
#5920 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Very cool. Were they pre-cut?

Pre-cut yes. But I did have to route out the start button, the volume control rectangle, and the four holes for the volume control screws

#5921 5 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AMAZING! I must have them! Way to go, incredible work!

#5922 5 years ago

Pre-cut yes. But I did have to route out the start button, the volume control rectangle, and the four holes for the volume control screws

Did you just go over the original decals?

#5923 5 years ago

Today I took on the mildly daunting task of installing RadCals on my LE. It took me a little longer than I expected but I'm real happy with the end results. They are thick and have a highly reflective glossy look to them. I'm pretty stoked. I really like the way they feel too.
Here are some before pics for comparison.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

How much was the set?

Did you use the wet install method?

#5924 5 years ago

I didn’t know JJP sold Radcals aftermarket, thought they were just put on at the factory.
They look nice but they’re pretty expensive and for most people who line their games up never see the difference.

#5925 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

AMAZING! I must have them!

Once most folks have the chance to see and touch Radcals for themselves it's one of those "things that cannot be unseen" situations. The difference is not subtle at all.

Agreed, it's less important if the game is in a lineup, but if you want to save some money on future JJP games, maybe avoid encountering Radcals.

#5926 5 years ago

Hey all - I installed a cliffy around the Map hole/targets and now the map shot is nearly impossible. The ball jumps up just slightly (from the cliffy) and deflects off the back plate and bounces out rather than down. I would say one in ten shots goes in. Not sure what to do here. Maybe try a different back deflector plate? The one over the Tortuga hole comes up and over, maybe that would work? Anyone else install the cliffy and having issues?

I just looked at the parts list and interestingly the "Snubber" bracket for both the map and tortuga holes is the same part even though they are obviously different on my game.

#5927 5 years ago

Regarding the stainless cliffies, would a carbon fiber option be better?

I realize that in some instances it might be the lip of the protector that is causing the ball to lift as well and becomes a greater problem if it separates from the PF. (not adhered properly to the playfield) A carbon fiber protector seems to adhere better, although we may still have the initial issue with thickness of protector, affecting the ball.

Still interested in adding something to my LE, so watching these posts to see what is working.

#5928 5 years ago

I'm in! This coming off the line spooked me and I had the $$ so I jumped off the plank into a sea of Joy!

#5929 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

AMAZING! I must have them! Way to go, incredible work!

Thanks Derek!

Quoted from Yelobird:

Did you just go over the original decals?

Yes. Peel and stick.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks great!
How much was the set?
Did you use the wet install method?

Thank you. Yes, wet method. Normally I apply all decals/art blades dry but this time the wet method was needed. I had to slide the side radcals under the backbox hinge plate that was still attached to the backbox. Call JJP for pricing.

Junky

#5930 5 years ago

The stairs down to my game room is very steep. If I take the game apart, do the play field by itself, head and cabinet by themselves, will it help the weight?
Anyone done this? Tried to search the thread, but couldn’t find anything.

#5931 5 years ago

There is someone that removed the head to move theirs around. No idea about removal of the playfield but I don't see why you couldn't. Mark all connections and wires accordingly and take lots of pics before you take things apart.

Doing this would help with the weight for sure.

Otherwise leave it in the box and do the scoot down the steps method others in this thread have mentioned. Should work fine this way as well.

#5932 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

The stairs down to my game room is very steep. If I take the game apart, do the play field by itself, head and cabinet by themselves, will it help the weight?

Yes that would absolutely help with the weight however it would be a total pain in the ass to take all of that apart and reassemble. If this is a new game then leave it in the box and use a refrigerator dolly to lower it down your stairs. Make sure the dolly is on the “truck this side” side of the box. If it’s a used game then you can fold the backbox down and strap it, then take the legs off and lay it on it’s back. Then do the same exact thing with the refrigerator dolly. Go slow and have a friend help you.

#5933 5 years ago

Just a question regarding plastics protection. Do you have any sort of plastic protectors installed? If yes, which one? If no, Isn't it an issue?

Thanks

Ben

#5934 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Hey all - I installed a cliffy around the Map hole/targets and now the map shot is nearly impossible. The ball jumps up just slightly (from the cliffy) and deflects off the back plate and bounces out rather than down. I would say one in ten shots goes in. Not sure what to do here. Maybe try a different back deflector plate? The one over the Tortuga hole comes up and over, maybe that would work? Anyone else install the cliffy and having issues?
I just looked at the parts list and interestingly the "Snubber" bracket for both the map and tortuga holes is the same part even though they are obviously different on my game.

Instead of modifying the game you could just remove the new item that is causing the issue? Sorry I just don’t see the justification of adding a protector that greatly alters gameplay in a home use game. It’s pinball I doubt it will get destroyed in our lifetime. At some point we need to remember it’s Pinball not a Rembrandt collectible. JMO

#5935 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Did you overtighten the connections over the cliffy? Too tight can make the cliffy bow VERY slightly and cause issues. It needs to have no gap between the cliffy and the playfield.

#5936 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

You can definitely get the playfield out of the cabinet, it's not that hard, just mark everything with little masking tape flags to note what connections go where. Head should be not that hard, either. This is a very heavy machine!

#5937 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you overtighten the connections over the cliffy? Too tight can make the cliffy bow VERY slightly and cause issues. It needs to have no gap between the cliffy and the playfield.

There's no gap, the double-stick tape holds it flat. As suggested above I could just remove the cliffy, but before I go that route I may try a few other deflector brackets like this one https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-8250-01.

#5938 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

The stairs down to my game room is very steep. If I take the game apart, do the play field by itself

Pinball dumb waiter!!!

#5939 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's no gap, the double-stick tape holds it flat. As suggested above I could just remove the cliffy, but before I go that route I may try a few other deflector brackets like this one https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-8250-01.

That seems like an awesome possibility. Post back how it works if you install it, because there must be a solution. I'm not leaving the holes unprotected on the surface when damage to the playfield surface around the holes like this is already documented:

jjPotC Hole (resized).jpgjjPotC Hole (resized).jpg
#5940 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is a very heavy machine!

I was struggling with STTNG and Road Show to get them down with a trolley. On Indy I took off the head and playfield , that helped a lot.

#5941 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That seems like an awesome possibility. Post back how it works if you install it, because there must be a solution. I'm not leaving the holes unprotected on the surface when damage to the playfield surface around the holes like this is already documented:[quoted image]

But that's after how many plays? People post those pics but don't say if the machine is on route or how many plays. Mine has 1000 plays and looks new.

#5942 5 years ago

Love this game. Thinking about selling my LE to a buddy and upgrading to a CE. Thoughts?

There must be a couple CE's still NIB floating around

#5943 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

But that's after how many plays? People post those pics but don't say if the machine is on route or how many plays. Mine has 1000 plays and looks new.

Mine has even more and is also fine. The hole has mylar around it from the factory.

#5944 5 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Love this game. Thinking about selling my LE to a buddy and upgrading to a CE. Thoughts?
There must be a couple CE's still NIB floating around

There are, check with Joe at pinballstar, Zach at flip n out, and I believe there was a Kevin or Keith who follows this thread who said he still had 1 CE left as well.

#5945 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Until it doesn't. Chips and cracks happen suddenly and mylar won't stop them, it just holds the pieces in place. After having Dialed In chip in multiple places around the SIM hole in like 50 plays, I don't trust unprotected holes on modern playfields, especially Mirco ones.

#5946 5 years ago

That is by far, the best pirate I ever saw! And 'ole Tortuga Tom solved the non-centered topper issue for me as well.

15532079691151777910026528089009 (resized).jpg15532079691151777910026528089009 (resized).jpg15532079855518740391453255044792 (resized).jpg15532079855518740391453255044792 (resized).jpg
#5947 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

That is by far, the best pirate I ever saw! And 'ole Tortuga Tom solved the non-centered topper issue for me as well.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great and a dam good score too!

#5948 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

[quoted image][quoted image]

You know, imagamejunky fixed his off-centered topper. And after hearing what he did I think I will take a crack at fixing mine also.

Turns out there is a nut inside the backbox you have to loosen, it’s not an “embedded” hammered-in nut like I thought. So from there it’s a simple matter of drilling a new hole (measured with a ruler this time) and correcting it.

#5949 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks great and a dam good score too!

Hah! Thanks. Didn't even look at the screen when I took the picture. And thank you for making this game even more beautiful. Your mods fit right in. Especially the Kraken. Looks like it was part of the original design.

#5950 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Hah! Thanks. Didn't even look at the screen when I took the picture. And thank you for making this game even more beautiful. Your mods fit right in. Especially the Kraken. Looks like it was part of the original design.

I've been eyeing the kraken for a couple weeks now just ordered yesterday.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.
Plastics
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/119?hl=gcs2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.