(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 377.
#5801 5 years ago

To test bullseye switch 78 - bring up test report or switch matrix test and drop a pinball into the hole on the side of the dauntless (target ship).

#5802 5 years ago

I decided to keep my NIB POTC LE and finally opened the carton and set it up this past weeked ... so I'm now officially in the club and loving the game!!!

For those keeping track, my game is LE # 224 and was built on 1/28/19 and other than a bunch of typical NIB adjustments and minor fixes, the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result) and a really noisy spinning disk (which I know is somewhat typical too). Oh, and my topper is missing its mounting hardware (screws and plugs).

Hooked up a Polk PSW10 subwoofer directly to the game's CPU audio output too and the bass is now rockin' - SO NICE to finally get to enjoy this game at home rather than on route!

#5803 5 years ago

I dont see how the characters really affect scoring in such a big way , as some describe. I always pick the lowest scored character, and have only had real trouble bringing tia dalma and becket over the million.

The negative aspects of characters would be nice on display though.

And for such a multiball heavy game, the scoring seems balanced enough, no ? For me there’s no real crazy up and down scores anymore

57994B04-8DC8-4931-8D2D-2DE0C22D35CA (resized).jpeg57994B04-8DC8-4931-8D2D-2DE0C22D35CA (resized).jpeg
#5804 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Hey, I hit it every game.
When I get the error, I pull the glass and push on the ship and it clears. Play a few games and it sticks again. I think I've only lifted the playfield when I first got the game a few weeks ago. I'll have to check that.
Latest error I have changed to the "bullseye" target. Not sure how to check that yet. It happened right when I had to leave yesterday, so I'll take a look at that tonight.

It’s not actually sticking. It just means you haven’t hit those targets in the last few games. It’s a mechanism to say “hey you might want to check this as it hasn’t registered any hits recently”.

The issue here is that there are two different switches. One is for a bullseye (through the hole) and the other is for "missing" the bullseye and instead hitting the side of the ship which pushes the ship and trips the switch. Both have to be hit at least once every few games or else you get the "stuck switch" message.

#5805 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

...the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result)...

If you've moved the wooden shipping blacks out of the way and have tried adjusting the right latch without success you may be forced to do something like I had to do with mine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871

#5806 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

If you've moved the wooden shipping blacks out of the way and have tried adjusting the right latch without success you may be forced to do something like I had to do with mine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871

Yeah - I had seen this and think I'm going to end up making a similar long-term fix. In the meantime, I have the right side of the screen supported with a temporary brace.

Thanks for posting this info!

#5807 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I dont see how the characters really affect scoring in such a big way , as some describe. I always pick the lowest scored character, and have only had real trouble bringing tia dalma and becket over the million.
The negative aspects of characters would be nice on display though.
And for such a multiball heavy game, the scoring seems balanced enough, no ? For me there’s no real crazy up and down scores anymore [quoted image]

most of them are relatively balanced. Blackbeard is the glaring outlier. his trait combined with no negative trait in a such a multiball heavy game is just crazy powerful in the hands of the right player.

this is anecdotal and obviously each game plays different but on the machine I'm playing on not a single one of those scores in your photo would be close to the top 10. on our game #10 starts at 3.8 million and GC is near 5 million. every single high score is a Blackbeard game. the other characters don't even come close.

#5808 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It’s not actually sticking. It just means you haven’t hit those targets in the last few games. It’s a mechanism to say “hey you might want to check this as it hasn’t registered any hits recently”.
The issue here is that there are two different switches. One is for a bullseye (through the hole) and the other is for "missing" the bullseye and instead hitting the side of the ship which pushes the ship and trips the switch. Both have to be hit at least once every few games or else you get the "stuck switch" message.

Thanks for that clarification. I get this error all the time. Now I know it’s the LordHelmet you suck! Error.

#5809 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

most of them are relatively balanced. Blackbeard is the glaring outlier. his trait combined with no negative trait in a such a multiball heavy game is just crazy powerful in the hands of the right player.
this is anecdotal and obviously each game plays different but on the machine I'm playing on not a single one of those scores in your photo would be close to the top 10. on our game #10 starts at 3.8 million and GC is near 5 million. every single high score is a Blackbeard game. the other characters don't even come close.

I suggested this a long time ago but will reiterate. I think Blackbeard should have a negative that whenever the ball saver is active, all scoring is 1/2.

#5810 5 years ago

I'll give all of you Blackbeard, any day. Yes, the added ballsaver is nice but not enough of a scoring benefit to select all of the time.

Generally I do random select to keep it interesting. Yesterday the game gave me Philip Swift, honestly not one of my preferred characters, however I decided I'd try to build up as much gold as possible for a giant Tortuga knowing that continually shooting Swift's shot would get me into On Stranger Tides multiball many times over, thanks in part to Swift making the first one easier. Cradle up during multiball, shoot the chest->upper loop combo, rinse, repeat. Finally started Tortuga at over 1000 gold which made every shot worth around 20k, unmultiplied, and Tortuga supers around 100k. Wished I was Gibbs at that point, but my path to 1000+ gold would've been more difficult due to fewer Stranger Tides multiballs.

#5811 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I suggested this a long time ago but will reiterate. I think Blackbeard should have a negative that whenever the ball saver is active, all scoring is 1/2.

that is definitely a good start but in my experience it might not even be enough.

i've been thinking that 1/2 scoring throughout ALL multiballs might bring him more in line. and it pains me to even suggest that because i do love blowing the game up with a good Blackbeard game.

i'm definitely interested in the 1.0 code and what balance changes they are going to make.

Quoted from iepinball:

I'll give all of you Blackbeard, any day. Yes, the added ballsaver is nice but not enough of a scoring benefit to select all of the time.

the leaderboard on the game that i play that completely disagrees with this.

are you regularly putting up 3+ million games on random select characters? because i can almost always get to that point in a decent Blackbeard game (we all have bad games).

#5812 5 years ago

are you regularly putting up 3+ million games on random select characters? because i can almost always get to that point in a decent Blackbeard game (we all have bad games).

Yes. Bottom of the leaderboard on my game I believe is over 5 million with a wide variety of characters.

#5813 5 years ago

Disagree on Blackbeard. Yes, I do often play that character, but I find Ragetti is a very powerful choice as well - perhaps more so. On the first ball - maybe the first two or three, in a bad game - having an early extra ball in play to both provide a bit of insurance in case of a fast drain, and ramp up the required shots for chapters and multiballs is a pretty big deal. My scores with Ragetti are in the same league as with Blackbeard. I'm trying Tia Dalma now, to see if the chapter select thing can get me similar scores. Hasn't yet, but I just started trying it out. I do think more work for character balancing is probably needed, but I think Blackbeard is merely a good first choice when learning the game - other characters are potentially more powerful once you've invested fully in the rules.

When playing a 4 player game with plunder settings set to Buccaneer, Weatherby Swann is a good choice. Obviously a poor choice in any other scenario, though.

#5814 5 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Yes. Bottom of the leaderboard on my game I believe is over 5 million with a wide variety of characters.

fair enough. maybe its just easier to get there with Blackbeard and i need to invest more time in the other characters and figuring out how to exploit their traits.

but for a tournament... i'm still going Blackbeard or bust.

#5815 5 years ago

fair enough. maybe its just easier to get there with Blackbeard and i need to invest more time in the other characters and figuring out how to exploit their traits.
but for a tournament... i'm still going Blackbeard or bust.

iepinball knows a thing or two about tournaments (top 20 in world?). I’d be curious who his top picks for tournament play would be. I bet in the end, he’d probably just go random just so he could toy with his opponents haha.

#5816 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’d be curious who his top picks for tournament play would be. I bet in the end

What's great is I don't even have a top 4. Too many good selections to choose from, and all situational based on opponents and how the game plays. Doubt we'll see this much in tournaments, unfortunately.

#5817 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

But I do hit it every game.
I love making that shot.

#5818 5 years ago

Is there anything in the game that tracks the highest score(s) attained for a single shot, sort of a leaderboard for single shots? I haven't seen it among all the leaderboard items the game tracks, but maybe I missed it. I'd be curious to see something like that put into a game though, because with my eyes on the playfield most of the time I miss most of the individual shot scores as they're displayed in real time on the back screen.

#5819 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

But I do hit it every game.
I love making that shot.

So you hit BOTH shots - the "miss" where you only hit the side of the ship, and it comes back down the middle by the top flipper, and the bullseye where the ball goes into the hole and comes out the depths? If you only hit one of those two shots every few games, you'll get the "stuck switch" message. So if you're only hitting bullseye shots, you're going to get the "stuck switch" message that is cleared by you physically rocking the ship back and forth.

#5820 5 years ago

this is anecdotal and obviously each game plays different but on the machine I'm playing on not a single one of those scores in your photo would be close to the top 10. on our game #10 starts at 3.8 million and GC is near 5 million. every single high score is a Blackbeard game. the other characters don't even
close.

All games are different ofcourse, my slings are airball outlane launchers ..no doubt my skill level is to blame, but from the only 3,5 million gc game , all the rest currently are today my top 8 are 2mil-2,2, as if its my breaking point of concentrating.. so many multiballs its exhausting

Blackbeard as suggested just gave me a nice #4 though. And I fumbled the last extra ball badly

#5821 5 years ago

Quoted from f3honda4me:So you hit BOTH shots - the "miss" where you only hit the side of the ship, and it comes back down the middle by the top flipper, and the bullseye where the ball goes into the hole and comes out the depths? If you only hit one of those two shots every few games, you'll get the "stuck switch" message. So if you're only hitting bullseye shots, you're going to get the "stuck switch" message that is cleared by you physically rocking the ship back and forth.

So you're saying, every once in a while, I should miss a bullseye shot on purpose?

#5822 5 years ago
#5823 5 years ago

I'm LOVING this game.

Does anyone else jump from POTC to another game and think, gosh these other games are lame. haha.

I did that with a few of mine this weekend. I'm looking at you TOM.

This game is just miles above my others.

#5824 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm LOVING this game. ... This game is just miles above my others.

Yep - there's a reason it got Kaneda's vote for G.O.A.T!

... or something like that.

#5825 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm LOVING this game.
Does anyone else jump from POTC to another game and think, gosh these other games are lame. haha.
I did that with a few of mine this weekend. I'm looking at you TOM.
This game is just miles above my others.

to be fair... compared to a 90's williams game - especially one with extremely shallow code like Theater - seems like an apples to oranges comparison in my mind.

Iron Maiden is the only other game that seems to hold my attention more than Pirates. and mostly because Pirates can suffer from the 'long game' fatigue. hobbit and LOTR are the same way for me.

but i will say... Pirates is quite possibly the best home-use pin ever made.

#5826 5 years ago

He 110% hates the game. I hope you are posted that as a joke!

BTW my buddy Dominic Kacich big time pinball player, he scored something close to 5 million on my game. Amazing right?

#5827 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

So you're saying, every once in a while, I should miss a bullseye shot on purpose?

Or, just ignore the alert about it.

#5828 5 years ago

Pirates can suffer from the 'long game' fatigue. hobbit and LOTR are the same way for me

Complaints about long ball times always puzzle me. Isn’t it fun to play? Why would you want a shorter experience if you’re having fun?

#5829 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

He 110% hates the game. I hope you are posted that as a joke!
BTW my buddy Dominic Kacich big time pinball player, he scored something close to 5 million on my game. Amazing right?

Yes ... I was kidding. I don't think he hates the game though. Doesn't love it either.

#5830 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Complaints about long ball times always puzzle me. Isn’t it fun to play? Why would you want a shorter experience if you’re having fun?

This one I kind of get. Some days I'm in a mood for a short, quick game. And on top of that, I have kids. Wife. Too much crap to do. Sometimes there isn't enough time to squeeze in a long game.

This is why I have my Deadpool Pro and Demolition Man sitting next to Pirates. Deadpool when I want a quick game (ball times are short in Deadpool). Demolition Man when I want a simple game that I don't have to think about much. I can play Demo Man on kinda-sorta autopilot, and it's still fun. Pirates, of course, when I want a long game that makes me think. Something with a lot of variety - you never know how it's gonna go. When you have a good, long PotC game, it's an experience.

But I'm still a big proponent of having more than one pin in your collection - and furthermore, making sure your pins are very different from one another.

#5831 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

its not the 'long game' itself. its when the 'long game' ends and you look back at the machine and realize how much work you are going to have to go through to get back to the point you were just at. i've had MANY 30+ minute games on Pirates. after one of those i'm done for a day or two.

games like Pirates can lack that 'just one more game' feeling people like with pinball machines.

i've noticed that most home collectors tend to have a few of each kind of machine because of this very reason. ymmv.

#5832 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Completely agree. Sorry but I find it hard to believe Everyone plays that amazing that this game is longer than most. Rules yes but gameplay not so sure. Yes on a rare occasion I can line up those perfect long games but why would that be a negative?? While I'm complaining and confused.... I also never understand the complaints that JJP hasn't finished the Grand Wizard mode code. Really? You play that good great every game that the experience is ruined because they are fine tuning the final chapter? Who cares if the book isn't finished as long as they are committed to finishing it. God knows I will never see the ending and I will admit I have yet to complete more than 1 wizard mode! Confession! lol

#5833 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I also never understand the complaints that JJP hasn't finished the Grand Wizard mode code. Really? You play that good great every game that the experience is ruined because they are fine tuning the final chapter? Who cares if the book isn't finished as long as they are committed to finishing it. God knows I will never see the ending and I will admit I have yet to complete more than 1 wizard mode! Confession! lol

i think its because we've seen plenty of machines shipped with incomplete code with a 'just patch it in post' type of mentality from developers... only to see code updates languish and things never get finished. it didn't used to be like this.

granted... JJP has a better track record in this regard - they took the hobbit from an absolute 'long game' borefest into something that, while still a 'long game,' is much more well rounded and fun to play.

but frankly it would serve them well to possibly take another pass at Dialed In and flesh out the modes a bit more. i think Pirates is in the same boat (pardon the pun). some of the chapters would be much more interesting if they were more progressive rather than just putting up all the targets you need to hit at once. think "aces high" in Iron Maiden for a nice example of a progressive mode that unfolds the further you get into it.

with that being said... i'm totally fine waiting as i've only seen 4 of 5 of the chapter wizard modes so there is still some work for me to do before i start complaining about the lack of a "break the curse" wizard mode.

#5834 5 years ago

I decided to keep my NIB POTC LE and finally opened the carton and set it up this past weeked ... so I'm now officially in the club and loving the game!!!
For those keeping track, my game is LE # 224 and was built on 1/28/19 and other than a bunch of typical NIB adjustments and minor fixes, the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result) and a really noisy spinning disk (which I know is somewhat typical too). Oh, and my topper is missing its mounting hardware (screws and plugs).
Hooked up a Polk PSW10 subwoofer directly to the game's CPU audio output too and the bass is now rockin' - SO NICE to finally get to enjoy this game at home rather than on route!

I have 225 - also with noisy spinning disk and missing topper hardware! No issue with screen latch but lots of other small and not-so-small issues. JJP has since sent me the missing hardware and I've installed the Mod Couple disk silencer kit although it's hard to know how much it helped.

How many others have noticed that the side-rail double-stick tape give out and the rails don't remain tight to the box?

#5835 5 years ago

I think my ship was catching a bit on the wire thing in the back.
What's the best way to remove this button without breaking the black tabs?

20190318_174344 (resized).jpg20190318_174344 (resized).jpg
#5836 5 years ago

... or something like that.

Kaneda will be at TPF, rumor has it, Chris is the presenter for game of the year at the TWIPYs - which will be POTC.

-disclaimer-Of course that’s not true-

#5837 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think my ship was catching a bit on the wire thing in the back.
What's the best way to remove this button without breaking the black tabs?
[quoted image]

Simply hold that black clamp on the back and rotate the clear button by the flange. Should come off with little effort.

#5838 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

game of the year at the TWIPYs - which will be POTC.

I think I own the game of the year. The one that will be announced and the one that should have won if it had come out at the beginning of 2018 and enough people had played it.

#5839 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I think I own the game of the year. The one that will be announced and the one that should have won if it had come out at the beginning of 2018 and enough people had played it.

Which is???

Quoted from Coz:

Kaneda will be at TPF, rumor has it, Chris is the presenter for game of the year at the TWIPYs - which will be POTC.

I hope this is the game I know thats were my vote went no questions.

#5840 5 years ago

I was saying to a friend last night, how well this game blends it's A/V package with the gameplay. That to me, on top of the excellent shot and rule design, make it a must own among modern pins.

Compare this game to the Munster's use of A/V in complimenting gameplay. In that game, there are incessantly several different voices, that for me feel more distracting than immersive. In this example the simplified license aids POTC, rather than having so many varied and frenzied call-outs, there's one comprehensive and incredibly professional one in the form of Gibbs/Kevin McNally.

Regarding the display, when a mode is initiated, the frenzy on the table is momentarily halted, while the ball ricochets back and forth, locked into a gameplay mechanic. In that moment, no concern for a ball drain exists, which allows the player to pause completely amidst the action, see a clip that plays more like an ambient visual clue than one featuring an actor where attention is fully engaged, and table immersion divided between the screen and the playfield. Compared to the Munster's, and many modern games, there's an abrasive set of audio and visuals that ultimately feel more jarring than complimentary towards what's occuring below. A random clip of Herman doesn't often feel tied to gameplay, whereas in Pirates, the quick video clip sets a mood, enhancing atmosphere, more than breaking it.

I feel like Pirates is the first modern game that uses the LCD screen in an entirely complimentary way, more so than distracting. It's a balance that the Hobbit, WOZ or Iron Maiden haven't accomplished. It's more cue based, feeling based, mood based, then "stare at the screen and watch the same clip over, and over, again". The brevity makes those clips more cues than attention holding, and allows just a quick break from the game, to breathe, check goals, and then revert attention downwards again.

For me, the shots and layout are so damn amazing, but the audio cues, use of the LCD screen are even more so. Pirate represents the best blend of stellar classic gameplay meets modern enhanced functionality. Congrats to all owners of this excellent pin, and most of all it's Hogbog creators!

Edit: Oops, sorry Eric for the doubling up of consonants in your username. Only happened because the game is doubly awesome..!

#5841 5 years ago

I think Iron Maiden will be the game of the year. It is a great game, but POTC got my vote.

#5842 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I think Iron Maiden will be the game of the year. It is a great game, but POTC got my vote.

i've been thinking the same thing. Iron Maiden is an amazing game and Keith's design makes for an unreal tournament game AND a great home game with how deep the code goes and all the late-game wizard modes. just the regular modes alone are a great example of varied and unique design and they help tell the 'story' that fits really well with the theme. zombi yeti art just takes it to the next level. the music might be the only gripe for some people... but Iron Maiden really does make for some good music to play pinball to. if you are a fan of the band its just the cherry on the top.

pirates is definitely a serious contender in my mind and it, along with Iron Maiden, seem light years beyond the other pins up for consideration. one hell of a year for pinball when you have multiple games that can be argued as the game of the year.

#5843 5 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Is there anything in the game that tracks the highest score(s) attained for a single shot,

Run through the audits. There is plenty of crazy stuff tracked in there.

LTG : )

#5844 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Run through the audits. There is plenty of crazy stuff tracked in there.
LTG : )

Thanks!

#5845 5 years ago

I noticed that when light fuse is lit and cannon load gate is up it will sporadically close when the load or cannon switches are hit, sometimes it closes just by triggering a flipper on the pearl.

Is this normal? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

#5846 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I noticed that when light fuse is lit and cannon load gate is up it will sporadically close when the load or cannon switches are hit, sometimes it closes just by triggering a flipper on the pearl.
Is this normal? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

It may be falsing due to another switch on the main playfield triggering from vibration. LTG has suggested banging on the playfield a bit in switch test to find the offending switch and fix its gap.

#5847 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It may be falsing due to another switch on the main playfield triggering from vibration. LTG has suggested banging on the playfield a bit in switch test to find the offending switch and fix its gap.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

EDIT: It worked. Leaf switch on the chapter select rubber wasn't gapped wide enough. Thanks again for the quick response.

#5848 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I think Iron Maiden will be the game of the year. ...

Likely. When it comes down to votes, there are a lot more enthusiastic IMDN owners than POTC owners.

#5849 5 years ago

Likely. When it comes down to votes, there are a lot more enthusiastic IMDN owners than POTC owners.

I think there are just MORE owners in general for Maiden, which probably translates into more votes. Looking forward to jjPotC and hoping it's as awesome as the hype.

#5850 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Thanks, I'll take a look.
EDIT: It worked. Leaf switch on the chapter select rubber wasn't gapped wide enough. Thanks again for the quick response.

Hey that’s great! Thanks for following up. Enjoy JJPOTC matey!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/117?hl=gcs2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.