(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 377.
#5251 5 years ago

I will add one more item that I know has been said already .. THIS MF'ER IS HEAVY AS HELL!

I mean really even the PF weighs a ton on its own. By far the heaviest pin that has ever been in my house.

#5252 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I will add one more item that I know has been said already .. THIS MF'ER IS HEAVY AS HELL!
I mean really even the PF weighs a ton on its own. By far the heaviest pin that has ever been in my house.

It sure as hell is. I rented a “Power Mate” stair climbing hand truck to get it upstairs. It was still an absolute whipping!

My Stern Star Wars feels so tiny and light by comparison. I can toss that thing around like crazy now.

#5253 5 years ago

Lost my 70v power. Traced it down to the connector falling off on the door switch. The curved part of the connector doesn't grip on the switch blade tab. It would not stay on. I crimped the connector curved part a bit and now it stays on. Check yours the next time you lift your play field. Might have some more loose connectors out there in the batch.

20190307_195426 (resized).jpg20190307_195426 (resized).jpg
#5254 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It sure as hell is. I rented a “Power Mate” stair climbing hand truck to get it upstairs. It was still an absolute whipping!
My Stern Star Wars feels so tiny and light by comparison. I can toss that thing around like crazy now.

Haha isn't that the truth. I moved my Houdini into the house a few weeks ago and felt that was pretty heavy too. Then moved my MBRLE in on Sunday and was like ehh this isn't too bad actually. Then last night POTC sat up and said bring it on you can't move me you old man! And she was right, thanks to Denethor and his muscle and my wife's we got her up my measly 4 front steps and in the house. Then I had to lift the PF about 100 times and I said well damn if I want a workout I just come bench POTC PF a few times and day. And yep you read that right my 3 pin lineup is JJ POTC, MBRLE, and Houdini. We have room for 1 more just have no idea what to get - probably grabbing a Spidey, STTNG or even a MM. I kinda want a DI but man I just don't know if I can get past the theme.

I will say I think the game is well built and has quality parts but QC definitely needs some more attention to detail. My wire issue is stupid and easily avoided/fixed at the factory - don't bundle the sh*t so tight folks and it won't pull connectors out.

Oh and zaph my LCD is DVI with the controls on the back MFR 2/11 for your reference

#5255 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Damn! I had to buy an Escalera after buying more JJP pins. I wasn't going to risk my life having a 350lb Hobbit land on me lol.

#5256 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Damn! I had to buy an Escalera after buying more JJP pins. I wasn't going to risk my life having a 350lb Hobbit land on me lol.

Then you are all set. You will be happy to have that when your POTC arrives.

For me with 4 small steps not worth the expense but I can tell you I wouldn't have turned one down last night.

#5257 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I'm not sorry.

#5258 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Haha isn't that the truth. I moved my Houdini into the house a few weeks ago and felt that was pretty heavy too. Then moved my MBRLE in on Sunday and was like ehh this isn't too bad actually. Then last night POTC sat up and said bring it on you can't move me you old man! And she was right, thanks to Denethor and his muscle and my wife's we got her up my measly 4 front steps and in the house. Then I had to lift the PF about 100 times and I said well damn if I want a workout I just come bench POTC PF a few times and day. And yep you read that right my 3 pin lineup is JJ POTC, MBRLE, and Houdini. We have room for 1 more just have no idea what to get - probably grabbing a Spidey, STTNG or even a MM. I kinda want a DI but man I just don't know if I can get past the theme.
I will say I think the game is well built and has quality parts but QC definitely needs some more attention to detail. My wire issue is stupid and easily avoided/fixed at the factory - don't bundle the sh*t so tight folks and it won't pull connectors out.
Oh and zaph my LCD is DVI with the controls on the back MFR 2/11 for your reference

What did you move it with, just a basic dolly? I moved Houdini in with a ratty dolly with wheels that depleted air immediately.... For this, I'm getting a decent appliance dolly with hard wheels. I hope it's a night and day difference! Hope!

#5259 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

There's a secret for getting JJP pins. First you buy new from a dealer that offers delivery.
Second JJP pins are so awesome you don't sell them.

Thanks, Chris

#5260 5 years ago

I use a big appliance dolly with a locking strap. The dolly adds a fair bit of weight on its own but does a great job moving games and getting up steps. I'm just a wuss. Seems my late 40's haven't been as kind to me as I think . But it is a heavy damn game.

Quoted from indybru:

There's a secret for getting JJP pins. First you buy new from a dealer that offers delivery.
Second JJP pins are so awesome you don't sell them.

Hah I said that last night after we got the game in the house ... "well I guess this game isn't going anywhere, ever"

#5261 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I use a big appliance dolly with a locking strap. The dolly adds a fair bit of weight on its own but does a great job moving games and getting up steps. I'm just a wuss. Seems my late 40's haven't been as kind to me as I think . But it is a heavy damn game.

Hah I said that last night after we got the game in the house ... "well I guess this game isn't going anywhere, ever"

It's amazing what a good dolly can do! With flat tires, Houdini felt like it had lead chains on and was stuck to the watery floor!

Did you get one of the Harbor Freight hydraulic lifts for moving it and raising it around the house?

#5262 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

What does the subway fix look like from the factory? Same as what others were doing aftermarket?

Here is my 2/4/19 build date LE with the fix factory installed:

IMG_6600 (resized).JPGIMG_6600 (resized).JPG

#5263 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

I'm not sorry.

Haha, it definitely provides a disincentive to leave the collection, once firmly planted!

#5264 5 years ago

I developed a new problem - have not been able to diagnose the issue yet, as the wife won’t stop playing. . So I figured I’d ask.

The chest is capturing balls, waiting about a second, then releasing them. So balls don’t get (physically) locked.

Any suggestions, mateys?

#5265 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Here is my 2/4/19 build date LE with the fix factory installed:
[quoted image]

Since someone asked, the idea here is to remove the wood screw holding the metal bracket at the pictured post’s location and replace it with the post, thus applying pressure to the side of the subway. You don’t drill a new hole or anything.

#5266 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I developed a new problem - have not been able to diagnose the issue yet, as the wife won’t stop playing. . So I figured I’d ask.
The chest is capturing balls, waiting about a second, then releasing them. So balls don’t get (physically) locked.
Any suggestions, mateys?

Ok so I got into the menus and it identified the chest fork mech as bad.

When I went into the test I found the fork is not raising and lowering as it should. I confirmed there is not a physical problem there, I can manually move the fork up and release it by manipulating the mech. The coils are getting VERY VERY hot. Like, I’m worried this could cause a fire hot.

If I turn everything off and let it cool a while, it starts to work again when I power it back up. But it quickly starts to fail again and becomes scary hot.

I guess I’m off to file a support request and probably get one or both coils replaced? Is a failing coil a thing that happens?

Help!

5D6CAB6A-7CCD-4443-89F7-787BC345B9B0 (resized).jpeg5D6CAB6A-7CCD-4443-89F7-787BC345B9B0 (resized).jpeg
#5267 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Is a failing coil a thing that happens?

Not really.

Makes me wonder if transistor(s) are failing ? Or upstream from them not cutting power ?

LTG : )

#5268 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok so I got into the menus and it identified the chest fork mech as bad.
When I went into the test I found the fork is not raising and lowering as it should. I confirmed there is not a physical problem there, I can manually move the fork up and release it by manipulating the mech. The coils are getting VERY VERY hot. Like, I’m worried this could cause a fire hot.
If I turn everything off and let it cool a while, it starts to work again when I power it back up. But it quickly starts to fail again and becomes scary hot.
I guess I’m off to file a support request and probably get one or both coils replaced? Is a failing coil a thing that happens?
Help!

Check the function of the mech. It should be a smooth up and down transition. It could be over heating due to excessive friction or a hang-up.

My forks coil was loose upon unboxing, I had to tighten up the retainer screw under the coil to get the fork to stay up. Not sure if this is the same problem.

#5269 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Check the function of the mech. It should be a smooth up and down transition. It could be over heating due to excessive friction or a hang-up.

It could go up and down smooth by hand, but coil pulling it up might be different and binding on the playfield.

Easy to check, drop the mech, remove the forks, put back in. If it heats up, binding isn't an issue.

#5270 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not really.
Makes me wonder if transistor(s) are failing ? Or upstream from them not cutting power ?

A little additional info - I was adjusting that mech last night because the tips of the fork were coming up through the playfield when retracted.
After putting it back together I noted the fork would not retract. Upon examination I noticed a wire to the smaller coil (the one which pulls the release lever) had broken off. I soldered it back and the problem resolved.

The game was fine all day and started to fail this evening during use. When it cools down it seems to work again, then fails again when it heats up.

#5271 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A little additional info - I was adjusting that mech last night because the tips of the fork were coming up through the playfield when retracted.
After putting it back together I noted the fork would not retract. Upon examination I noticed a wire to the smaller coil (the one which pulls the release lever) had broken off. I soldered it back and the problem resolved.
The game was fine all day and started to fail this evening during use. When it cools down it seems to work again, then fails again when it heats up.

Possible opto problem?

Maybe check the solder again and reflow?

Just trying to think of everything.

#5272 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Possible opto problem? Just trying to think of everything.

Opto part seems ok. It knows when the mech is up and when it's down. Good suggestion though.

#5273 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had a wire come off that coil as well on mine. First time I’ve ever seen a wire come off from bad solder...and I’ve been through a lot of games.

#5274 5 years ago

Dear Jack,
dear Eric,
dear Keith,
I address this thread to you personally, because I know that you read pinside. I followed the development of the POTC in the last year very closely and was very positively impressed by your open communication to the pinball community.

Consequently, I am a bit frustrated about the information and communication policy in the last 2 weeks or so. Many rumours are spred, which is not favourable for JJP. I am in the decision making process of buying a POTC, but would like to be informed what happens in the Moment and what is planned exactly. I assume that the community has the same interest. Therefore, I would highly appreciate, if you could provide us with answers to the following questions, so that the rumours might come to an end:

1. Will the production licence end by the end of March 2019 definitely?
2. Does this mean that POTC will not be built in future any longer, not shortly and not in later months/years?
3. Is it ensured that sufficient spare parts will be available in future without hoping for the secondary market?

Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry to be very direct.

#5275 5 years ago

Just joined the club with an SE. I agree with the earlier weight comments. Both my Hobbit and POTC will be sold along with the house because I know I am not moving them again .

First impressions were tainted a little by several nits that had to be fixed out of the box. Nothing major but I was surprised considering the quality of the entire build. I am really impressed with the stainless steel armour package. Not your typical, more of a brushed stainless. In person I like it better then the package on the LE. Nice touch! The bumper plastics look cheap to me , but are easily replaceable. I am not a big mod guy , but this game will get a few mods starting with the bumper plastics.

Does any one know if the speakers are the same in the SE versus the LE/CE. I have not gotten up to look at the back box but the cabinet speaker looks like a lower quality then the one in my Hobbit LE? Has anyone upgraded the speakers?

As far as play, so far I am very impressed with the shot geometry and the sheer number of quality shots in this game. The upper flipper is used very well. The code depth is obvious from the start. The basic rules listed in one of the Pinside threads helps dramatically to understand the first layers of this game. The choreography is solid. If it was at the level of the Hobbits's this could be my number one game of all time. Excellent upper play field. The ramp shots are very satisfying. Overall, easily a top ten or better pin for me. Nice job JJP.

I will need to go thru this entire thread to find any other "opportunities" but after resolving the out of the box issues, I am impressed.

#5276 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Auto launcher question: does yours hit the mounting bracket with every ball launch from the shooter lane, i.e. does the purple part with the green par? Makes a clank sound with every launch that doesn't sound right. It's not hitting the playfield though.......[quoted image]

Bump.....never got any response on this from the collective.....

#5277 5 years ago

I do believe the LE came with upgraded speaker system. I did add a external sub and it is just what it needed.

#5278 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Opto part seems ok. It knows when the mech is up and when it's down. Good suggestion though.

You probably checked this already but worth mentioning. There's a small screw that positions the plunger in the coil, if it loosens up the coil cant grab it and may keep trying which would overheat the coil. Just a thought...

#5279 5 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Dear Jack,
dear Eric,
dear Keith,
I address this thread to you personally, because I know that you read pinside. I followed the development of the POTC in the last year very closely and was very positively impressed by your open communication to the pinball community.
Consequently, I am a bit frustrated about the information and communication policy in the last 2 weeks or so. Many rumours are spred, which is not favourable for JJP. I am in the decision making process of buying a POTC, but would like to be informed what happens in the Moment and what is planned exactly. I assume that the community has the same interest. Therefore, I would highly appreciate, if you could provide us with answers to the following questions, so that the rumours might come to an end:
1. Will the production licence end by the end of March 2019 definitely?
2. Does this mean that POTC will not be built in future any longer, not shortly and not in later months/years?
3. Is it ensured that sufficient spare parts will be available in future without hoping for the secondary market?
Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry to be very direct.

While a great company with an amazing team of talent and support I Highly doubt they are going to disclose the business plans or forecast let alone on a public forum. And just a suggestion, to say “Sorry to be very Direct” ? To be very direct would be to send this To JJP directly not a thread post. In my Opinion, to date they have not abandoned their customers so I am fairly certain you have nothing to worry about with Pirates other then failing to get your hands on one while you can.

#5280 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

You probably checked this already but worth mentioning. There's a small screw that positions the plunger in the coil, if it loosens up the coil cant grab it and may keep trying which would overheat the coil. Just a thought...

Do you have a picture of the screw or where the screw is? Is it black?

#5281 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While a great company with an amazing team of talent and support I Highly doubt they are going to disclose the business plans or forecast let alone on a public forum. And just a suggestion, to say “Sorry to be very Direct” ? To be very direct would be to send this To JJP directly not a thread post. In my Opinion, to date they have not abandoned their customers so I am fairly certain you have nothing to worry about with Pirates other then failing to get your hands on one while you can.

I was going to say the same thing - you can't expect them to black and white answer those questions. Here's my suggestion - do you want the game? Buy it. If you're worried about them making it again, I would too considering the rumor is that not only would the license need to be renewed, the cost of the game is high. Lethal combo in my mind.

I wouldn't worry about parts being available considering it's JJP not a bankrupt company BUT even something like that (Alien) - parts are actually available which is amazing so I really wouldn't be concerned about POTC not having parts. No way JJP would do that to a customer.

#5282 5 years ago

Final got to a wizard mode broke 2million . Such a fun game so many ways to play

#5283 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I understand your arguments. However, I do not consider the announcement, finally not to produce POTC any longer than March, not as a problematic business plan secret. Even Stern states when a certain pin will not be produced any longer.

But thanks for your feedback.

#5284 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I think my coil issue might be self-induced. I was adjusting the fork mech to address the tips of the fork poking up too high above the playfield. Ultimately the fix for this was a washer under the lug for the lower left screw, but I did mess with other screws including the four you see in this picture.

So here is how the mech works from what I can tell.

Up: Single fire on the larger coil. A latch holds it in place.
Down: The larger coil fires again to briefly raise the fork a bit more, then the smaller coil fires to release the latch and allow the fork to fall.

What I believe happened here is that second upward coil fire - the one used when lowering the fork - was unable to execute due to the position of the coil due to the screw adjustments I made.

I have corrected the screws and it seems to do the right thing now. The coil gets a bit warm but it’s no longer getting hot, as it’s not struggling to fire longer than it should.

I also measured the coil to make sure it’s happy - it reports 4.2 ohms which I believe to be right.

It now seems to be working fine. I’m doing some burn-in gameplay now to be sure.

Again, this one appears to be my own screwup by adjusting the wrong thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6BD06ABA-2F7A-4064-8B2E-DC85BA16825F (resized).jpeg6BD06ABA-2F7A-4064-8B2E-DC85BA16825F (resized).jpeg
#5285 5 years ago

I’m still having Depths kickout problems. The fix isn’t working. Even as few as two balls in there cause problems. Looks like I’m going to have to try and narrow it or offset it somehow so the balls don’t wedge in there.

#5286 5 years ago

Any word on 1.0 code?

Anything new expected to be added?

#5287 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Do you have a picture of the screw or where the screw is? Is it black?

Ya you can see it in the manual page C30 blue screw on the bottom of the bracket.It may or may not have a jam nut on it.
also check the bottom of the cabinet .

#5288 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any word on 1.0 code?
Anything new expected to be added?

Some more assets would be good....

#5289 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Some more assets would be good....

Only so much you can do with 29 minutes worth of video from 5 films.....

....but agreed, looking forward to all the black bonus countdown screens being replaced!

#5290 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Only so much you can do with 29 minutes worth of video from 5 films.....
....but agreed, looking forward to all the black bonus countdown screens being replaced!

That's what JJP got the rights to?

#5291 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That's what JJP got the rights to?

Keefer at Louisville last year mentioned that they were limited to getting video snippets from the 5 films that didn’t have any character’s faces in them to avoid license issues. Came down to 29 minutes or so of video.....

#5292 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Keefer at Louisville last year mentioned that they were limited to getting video snippets from the 5 films that didn’t have any character’s faces in them to avoid license issues. Came down to 29 minutes or so of video.....

I hope it stays that way.

#5293 5 years ago

I hope more assets from the films are added as well in regards to what can used. Would always prefer more custom animation work though over snippets from the films. Sounds like some or all of the wizard modes could really benefit from a big set piece / fan fare moment when they are completed.

#5294 5 years ago

Question....is there a setting for if the bail drains like right off the shot it will give you another . I have little ones that play and our stern guardians will give you another ball. Thanks

#5295 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

Question....is there a setting for if the bail drains like right off the shot it will give you another . I have little ones that play and our stern guardians will give you another ball. Thanks

its called the ball save option should be under system settings I believe? You can set how many seconds you would like it to last

#5296 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I hope it stays that way.

Agree. The only character faces I care to look are are the skeletons, crew of the Dutchman, ghost crew, and zombie sharks. It seems like the sharks wouldn't complain.

#5297 5 years ago

Thanks so much .....you guys on here are the best!

#5298 5 years ago

Anyone have a suggestion for a good undercab light kit for this?

I love the lermods one on my MBR that changes when the speakers change. Its interactive but not overly done. The Rock ones are great but for me they are too interactive - flashing etc. Just like the subtle stuff. I know I can go basic where I "pick the color" that is displayed by remote but really don't want that or another remote to keep up with.

#5299 5 years ago

Some of my wants for future code are

Attract mode pirate music/talk perhaps yo ho yo ho a Pirates life for me.
Something more to happen with the Bayou and depths scoops other than obscure scoring shit
Polish to the graphics and increased fan fare of the wizard modes.
Some more action shots of the Flying Dutchman, give me some triple cannons!

That’s about all, really nothing crazy

#5300 5 years ago

Three code issues on 0.98 I wanted to share:

One out of 10 games the wrong Piece of Eight is being called out as collected, but the correct one is added to the list of already collected Pieces on the screen

I has one game where I loaded the cannon and the Pearl stopped rocking. Just sat there level.
Had to drain the ball and the Pearl started moving again.

Disabled "Pro Tips" or what is was called and now most of the after ball bonus screens do not play background clips, it is only the white text on black background.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
There are 18,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/106?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.