(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 hours ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 378.
#5001 5 years ago

Hey all,

I'd like to give some context to Kaneda and POTC... I was the one that went with him to Sunshine Laundromat to play it on location and show him why in my opinion it is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, pinball machines out there. I have a perfectly set up game at home. I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong.

The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. Here are a list of the issues it had on location:
- flippers were ridiculously weak so shots just could not be made. Almost all ramp shots would go halfway up the ramp and come back STDM.
- set up as steep as possible, with the bubble on the highest mark, so that the balls could not make it up either ramp
- 90% of shots to the chest were rejected, partly due to the weak flippers and also due to a problem with the fork mechanism
- could not hear any music/call outs, and the external volume button was turned off on the settings.
- multiballs were two balls instead of three (I couldn't figure this out because I don't even think this is a setting)
- when the ball rolled down the left orbit over the left flipper, it did not roll along the guide and instead was already off the wall. Whereas I can normally loop 5 shots at home through the Fountain of Youth shot, here we could barely make one loop. It also meant it was hard to hit the MAP hole, and so there was only a single time we were able to plunder.
- the action button did not work, such that I could not change the Pirate inlane awards nor collect gold. Big part of the game was missed here. No arrr frenzy. No strategy on setting up playfield multipliers etc. No tortuga multiball.
- at home, when the ball comes out of the depths scoop, I usually hold up the left flipper and it hops to the right flipper, which has a great visceral feel to it. Here that didn't work either and would instead go into the right sling.
- plunger was offset, and maximal plunge would make it at most to the ship skill shot, rather than to the left upper flipper. Literally not one plunge would get there.
- cannon shot rejected, I believe because the target ship was stuck against the left side of the game and possible due to the steep angle of the game
- spinning disk did not much change the ball trajectory, not sure why. At home it is a fun randomizer. Here it really did feel just ornamental.
- no ball saver, so the combination of all the above problems led to many quick ball drains

I'm a pretty decent player and regularly score a million points at home, start most of the multiballs, and make it to at least one mini-wizard mode every 5-6 games, but on this POTC neither of us could get above 70,000. Friends come over my house and love the game. It just wasn't possible to make the shots and progress through the game at Sunshine. We played about 20 times, and only could start a multiball twice: once as a mystery award and the other because of repeated skill shots to the ship. I know these rules inside and out at this point but could only talk about them rather than demonstrate them in action, let alone work through the dynamic layers of strategy that come alive when you progress through the game normally.

To Kaneda's credit, he tried to come in with an open mind and give the game a chance. If I was being intellectually honest I would say that if my main experience with POTC was that particularly machine I would also think 'this is no fun'. It was honestly an eye opening lesson for me that to most pinball fans, our impression of a game is inevitably dependent on how well the particular machine is set up, particularly our view of the shots and code and mechs. I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

#5002 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

Oh man, what a shame. But the game is hard to set up. It took me almost two weeks to get it running pretty much as it is supposed to. Still there are a few things that bother me. I can imagine it must be a nightmare to set up on location.

#5003 5 years ago

Zach from SDTM "this is one of the greatest pinball machines of all time". Mic drop.

Still my favorite pinball review of all time.

Part 1

Part 2

#5004 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not in the sealed blister packs either? Should have 4 plastic plugs and 4 screws.

No, I don't have any screws or plugs.

#5005 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

To Kaneda's credit

Who is this guy? Am I missing something?

#5006 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Not really.

And for on location, I've played JJPOTC at game Galaxy at Smyrna, TN and at Pincincinatti and both played perfectly. I hear that Sunshine sets their games up to be difficult (settings, posts, height, etc).

#5007 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey all,
I'd like to give some context to Kaneda and POTC... I was the one that went with him to Sunshine Laundromat to play it on location and show him why in my opinion it is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, pinball machines out there. I have a perfectly set up game at home. I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong.
The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. Here are a list of the issues it had on location:
- flippers were ridiculously weak so shots just could not be made. Almost all ramp shots would go halfway up the ramp and come back STDM.
- set up as steep as possible, with the bubble on the highest mark, so that the balls could not make it up either ramp
- 90% of shots to the chest were rejected, partly due to the weak flippers and also due to a problem with the fork mechanism
- could not hear any music/call outs, and the external volume button was turned off on the settings.
- multiballs were two balls instead of three (I couldn't figure this out because I don't even think this is a setting)
- when the ball rolled down the left orbit over the left flipper, it did not roll along the guide and instead was already off the wall. Whereas I can normally loop 5 shots at home through the Fountain of Youth shot, here we could barely make one loop. It also meant it was hard to hit the MAP hole, and so there was only a single time we were able to plunder.
- the action button did not work, such that I could not change the Pirate inlane awards nor collect gold. Big part of the game was missed here. No arrr frenzy. No strategy on setting up playfield multipliers etc. No tortuga multiball.
- at home, when the ball comes out of the depths scoop, I usually hold up the left flipper and it hops to the right flipper, which has a great visceral feel to it. Here that didn't work either and would instead go into the right sling.
- plunger was offset, and maximal plunge would make it at most to the ship skill shot, rather than to the left upper flipper. Literally not one plunge would get there.
- cannon shot rejected, I believe because the target ship was stuck against the left side of the game and possible due to the steep angle of the game
- spinning disk did not much change the ball trajectory, not sure why. At home it is a fun randomizer. Here it really did feel just ornamental.
- no ball saver, so the combination of all the above problems led to many quick ball drains
I'm a pretty decent player and regularly score a million points at home, start most of the multiballs, and make it to at least one mini-wizard mode every 5-6 games, but on this POTC neither of us could get above 70,000. Friends come over my house and love the game. It just wasn't possible to make the shots and progress through the game at Sunshine. We played about 20 times, and only could start a multiball twice: once as a mystery award and the other because of repeated skill shots to the ship. I know these rules inside and out at this point but could only talk about them rather than demonstrate them in action, let alone work through the dynamic layers of strategy that come alive when you progress through the game normally.
To Kaneda's credit, he tried to come in with an open mind and give the game a chance. If I was being intellectually honest I would say that if my main experience with POTC was that particularly machine I would also think 'this is no fun'. It was honestly an eye opening lesson for me that to most pinball fans, our impression of a game is inevitably dependent on how well the particular machine is set up, particularly our view of the shots and code and mechs. I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

Sounds like you should’ve told him all this and to not base his review on that terribly set up game/wait to play a game set up decent to review.
I’ve also heard their Primus is set so the playfield is almost flat.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Zach from SDTM "this is one of the greatest pinball machines of all time". Mic drop.
Still my favorite pinball review of all time.
Part 1

Part 2

Really surprised they reviewed the preproduction machine and didn’t do a new review when the finished game came out.

#5008 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

He has a pinball podcast. I like it. It's pretty much my favorite pinball podcast. He has a strong opinion about things and is not afraid to speak up. For me it's more about entertainment than about information. I don't know all the details about the drama but he was banned from Pinside and is not very popular around here.

Listen to it and judge for yourself.

#5009 5 years ago

I will do that!

#5010 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey all,

Wow- what a shame. I was planning a trip to Sunshine to test out POTC before deciding to buy mine, but I changed my mind and decided to just buy it sight unseen. Glad I did!

I was still thinking of stopping by to play a bunch of other games I've never seen before, but now I'm thinking twice. Is this a reflection of Sunshine's maintenance and setup capabilities? Your experience is something I would expect from a neglected machine sitting in a 2nd-tier hotel "arcade", not a premier, dedicated pinball parlor.

Also, I would guess that the map disc felt like it had no effect due to the playfield steepness.

#5011 5 years ago

Kaneda posted my rebuttal today! Pirates fans unite, yarr!

#5012 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Kaneda posted my rebuttal today! Pirates fans unite, yarr!

I've seen it! Very much looking forward listening to it on my way home. Thanks!

#5013 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Sounds a little over ambitious to me and not worth it. There are 25 possible (randomly selected) chapters for each movie and five movies. Do the math, that’s 25x5 = 125 chapters
I would say, just watch the movies, but only because I’m in the minority and I actually enjoyed the POTC movies (even though I can’t stand Depp outside of that character). But by movie 3, every damn character in the movie has 2-3 (or maybe more) subplots. If you ever get to the point where you can explain why Tia Dalma (Calypso) turns into a giant Calypso, starts shouting some sort of unintelligible garbage before transforming into a pile of crabs before falling into the sea...then by all means, have at it. I doubt even the directors can explain what is going on.
Then there’s this...I now enjoy shooting TH and I’ve only seen about 15min of any of those movies and I still don’t care to watch any of them...it’s still a fun machine to play and I could care less how many movie scenes they want to play on the back glass. I have absolutely no idea who or what I’m collecting or why...but I understand shooting the lights, loops, ramps, targets, and that dragon.

I wouldn't say you're in the minority. We enjoyed all the movies too, some more than others, but I own all 5.

#5014 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey all,

So, did he mention any of this in his podcast? ANY pinball game set up terribly and not working correctly will make it seem like a terrible game. I don't care what game it is.

#5015 5 years ago

I’m looking to buy a standard edition, anyone buy one and regret it? My distributor is going to work a trade plus cash for a nib. Wanted to get your opinions. I’ve previously owned DI and Hobbit and love JJP pins. Thanks

#5016 5 years ago
Quoted from VZSpyder:

Is this a reflection of Sunshine's maintenance and setup capabilities? Your experience is something I would expect from a neglected machine sitting in a 2nd-tier hotel "arcade", not a premier, dedicated pinball parlor.
Also, I would guess that the map disc felt like it had no effect due to the playfield steepness.

I’d say about 5 of their games (a minority) don’t play well: Beatles has a broken drop target, medieval madness has weak flippers that can’t make ramps plus a few lights are out, I forget the others. Otherwise the other games play well.

#5017 5 years ago

I don't understand how these location games can play so badly? Every game I've brought home, I've just screwed the levelers in all the way, attached the legs, and bingo...play perfect. Maybe some very minor adjustment here or there, but I don't see how one can f*$k it up, really.

#5018 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’m looking to buy a standard edition, anyone buy one and regret it? My distributor is going to work a trade plus cash for a nib. Wanted to get your opinions. I’ve previously owned DI and Hobbit and love JJP pins. Thanks

I have an LE. For me it was clear to go for the LE, as the price diference is not that big and you get much more value with it: Invisiglass, color changing GI, starfield in the backbox and the shaker Motor (?)...

But I'm sure the standard plays just as well.

#5019 5 years ago

I definitely thing the LE has 1k of value in it over the standard. I finally got to see invisiglass first hand this weekend (my POTC arrives Wed thanks Denethor) and it is amazing. If anyone says they don't see a difference, well you need glasses. Is that worth 1k obviously not but add that with the shaker, the RGB lighting, the starfield (which I think is very cool) etc and its worth the 1k. Love the art and topper on the CE but just cannot justify that expense. The extra for the LE is totally worth it IMHO which is why I got that model.

I should add that I agree with everyone else that for $9500 the LE should come with the printed manual.

#5020 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey all,
It just wasn't possible to make the shots and progress through the game at Sunshine. We played about 20 times, and only could start a multiball twice: once as a mystery award and the other because of repeated skill shots to the ship. I know these rules inside and out at this point but could only talk about them rather than demonstrate them in action, let alone work through the dynamic layers of strategy that come alive when you progress through the game normally.

On location, my JJP POTC does require more attention than the average Stern game. That said, most of what you have described with gameplay would be addressed by reducing the pitch and some minor play adjustments, and that is on the operator not JJP.

#5021 5 years ago

My kids, 9 and 6, spend a good two hours yesterday playing head to head games. They loved getting their pictures taken, and you should see their eyes light up when they got a multiball or managed to shoot the cannon. It was amazing to watch. What a great game!

#5022 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Are you buying to route? If so I can understand the standard. If not, LE all day for the reasons mentioned above.

#5023 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are you buying to route? If so I can understand the standard. If not, LE all day for the reasons mentioned above.

No, not to route. I actually like the stainless, Trying to save $1000 and my distributor will work a trade. Don’t think he has any more les

#5024 5 years ago

Does the standard have Tortuga Tom and the other spinning pop? If not, I would really reconsider. I saw a Hobbit standard once, and the regular pop bumpers, instead of the barrel pops made me cringe and be thankful that I didn't even know the standard existed when I bought my LE.

#5025 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

... I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong. The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. ...

This was my exact concern when Kaneda announced that you and he were going to play the POTC at Sunshine. Besides the fact that they have a rep for setting their games up to play hard, this is not an ideal demonstration environment.

#5026 5 years ago

Can someone clue me in to what this Kaneda review is? Is this the same Kaneda guy I'm thinking about???? 2-4 years ago he would just troll every thread and basically everyone just told him to shut up. He had some anime character as his avatar....

#5027 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Go with the LE. Definitely worth the extra cash.

#5028 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

So to confirm, the stock balls were the problem?

Seems to be. Not sure if all of them were magnetizing or not but I swapped them out and had a bunch of people over on Saturday night and had no issues at all

#5029 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone clue me in to what this Kaneda review is? Is this the same Kaneda guy I'm thinking about???? 2-4 years ago he would just troll every thread and basically everyone just told him to shut up. He had some anime character as his avatar....

yeah, that's the same guy.

#5030 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

No, not to route. I actually like the stainless, Trying to save $1000 and my distributor will work a trade. Don’t think he has any more les

Just a suggestion as I don't spend other peoples money wisely but I would give KingPinGames a call and Strongly consider the LE over standard. Last post he still had 1 in stock and I believe he does trades? Smooth transaction, an Amazing game, and a great dealer.

#5031 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

yeah, that's the same guy.

Gotcha. Makes sense now.

#5032 5 years ago

I agree with Yelobird , LE is the way to go. There are too many extras for a little more cost! I say this knowing full well that i would never buy the CE! The star field is kinda meh for me. But the invisaglass, shaker, spinning pops, and upgraded sound system, is worth it.
Don't hate me on the star field, It is really hard to pay attention to it when I am playing.

#5033 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a suggestion as I don't spend other peoples money wisely but I would give KingPinGames a call and Strongly consider the LE over standard. Last post he still had 1 in stock and I believe he does trades? Smooth transaction, an Amazing game, and a great dealer.

Looks like my distributor has one LE left, it’s $900 more than the standard. I’m going with the LE

#5034 5 years ago

This game cannot be played without the shaker.

#5035 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Looks like my distributor has one LE left, it’s $900 more than the standard. I’m going with the LE

Wow congrats!!!! I hate to make promises but I am So certain you are going to LOVE this title and it will fit perfectly with the games you have now. NO game has come out in the past 10 years that I have felt more confident about promoting honestly!

#5036 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow congrats!!!! I hate to make promises but I am So certain you are going to LOVE this title and it will fit perfectly with the games you have now. NO game has come out in the past 10 years that I have felt more confident about promoting honestly!

Well, unfortunately I’m selling two pins to buy the POTC. I think it will be a great pin for the home.

#5037 5 years ago

Ugh, bit the bullet and actually listened to Kaneda's review. Please, do not listen to this thing, it will only make you shake your head and feel dumber. My favorite quote, "I look down and say, where are the toys in this game." Closely followed by, "the disc does nothing in this game." My goodness, that disc makes the ball do the craziest thing. I've been a pretty constant listener, but I think I will have to put his podcast on hold for a while. All I have to say, Mr. Kaneda, is even before I owned one, on location my son had a blast on Pirates and figured it out after 1 game.

#5038 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

bought the standard myself. love it no major issue. just some small switch issues that needed some fine tuning. worth every penny. please note i am one cheap bugger. needless to say should have bought the le.

#5039 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Well, unfortunately I’m selling two pins to buy the POTC. I think it will be a great pin for the home.

I think you have chosen wisely, sir.

#5040 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Has anyone been able to fix that wire without removing the ship?

Not possible.

You most likely don't have to remove the ship, which would add cutting one cable tie, and unplug three connectors and three opto connectors below the main playfield. Easy to find, they come through a big hole in the playfield right below the black pearl.

This isn't hard. Lift front of playfield up and pull forward to rest on the front of the game. On the rear of the back wall of playfield. See picture below. Remove the big clip, lower the flat metal thingy that hooks the black pearl to the motor. Remove the white nylon spacer. Between the rear wall of the playfield and rear of the black pearl, in the space between them. Look straight down and see the 1/8 allen head bolt sticking up. Remove it.

Then I'd lay a towel or something on the main playfield to the front left area of the black pearl. Then grab the black pearl and slide towards the rear of the game lifting it off it's two pivot points. Then you can lift up a little and rest on the left side ( if you didn't unhook the connectors, if you did that you can remove the whole thing and put on a table or something to work on it ).

Fix what needs fixing. Put it back in game. Done.

LTG : )

potcship (resized).jpegpotcship (resized).jpeg
#5041 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

That was Hilton

#5042 5 years ago

Just got my LE. Looking to buy some mods and I see the Mod Couple sells a disk silencing kit. My disk doesn't seem to be that loud. Yes, I can hear it, but I have heard people say theirs are very loud to the point of annoying. I really don't see the need for this on my game. Are some louder than others?

Thanks

Gerry

#5043 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Just got my LE. Looking to buy some mods and I see the Mod Couple sells a disk silencing kit. My disk doesn't seem to be that loud. Yes, I can hear it, but I have heard people say theirs are very loud to the point of annoying. I really don't see the need for this on my game. Are some louder than others?
Thanks
Gerry

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

#5044 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Seriously. Thanks zaph by the way..the solder worked!
On a side note, we've had a few posts of "No QC issues at all, vast majority of POTCs have had zero issues, the people posting are just a very small minority". Those posts really irritate me.
Back to silver ball!

The vast majority isn't good enough

#5045 5 years ago

Anyone buy this shooter rod? Are you happy with it? Any other options for this game?

ebay.com link: Pirates of the Caribbean custom pinball shooter rod Pirates Gold POTC

Thanks

Gerry

#5046 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Anyone buy this shooter rod? Are you happy with it? Any other options for this game?
ebay.com link » Pirates Of The Caribbean Custom Pinball Shooter Rod Pirates Gold Potc
Thanks
Gerry

Check with Pinsider tonycip , he's been making custom ones for JJPOTC owners. I got one on mine, it's nice!

#5047 5 years ago

I bought mine from Super Skill Shot Shooters (he advertises on Pinside). As I recall, I believe he told me that that JJP uses different sized shooter rods vs. Stern. Just to be safe, you might want to ask him or the EBAY seller about that before you make the purchase.

#5048 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Check with Pinsider tonycip

Seconded! Thanks @tonycip!
You should ask Tony about one of theseYou should ask Tony about one of these

Really appreciate this community!

#5049 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks
Gerry

Absolutely not Gerry. If the disk sounds good to you or you play your game loud don't buy things you don't need. This was designed to help some like mine that were obnoxiously loud and distracting to the quality of this game. I second the Tonycip shooter, looks Awesome!!

#5050 5 years ago

Does anyone know what the best option would be for a gold / brass looking shooter rod? I prefer one like the style below from Pinball Decals. Not sure if this one would fit a JJP pin.

Screenshot_20190304-171535_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190304-171535_Chrome (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 18,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.