(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,868 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by gunstarhero
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,868 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 378.
#4951 5 years ago

Hello,

I know its been discussed many times but I just go my Cliffy set and heard Black Pearl is recommended to be removed to get to map area.

Which post # talks about removing ship. Thanks in advance.

#4952 5 years ago

He (Kaneda) is predisposed to not like the game. He has gone to great lengths to show he hates the license and the films. He only like Franchi art (his head is way up his...). He rants forever about the delay in production. He hated the JJP Standard, LE, CE system because it is not the same as Stern. He has made it clear he does not like Keefer's deep rules (funny, because he touts LOTR as the greatest Stern ever). No matter what, he will never love this game. Which is ridiculous given the 3 things he professes to believe:

1) pinball needs to be a world under glass, which JJPOTC is in spades

2) people should not judge too soon and should be allowed to change their minds (this only seems to apply to people whom he has offended)

3) value is in the BOM, quality, and mechs not "fun = value"

He won't admit his own failure in lack of objectivity. I will never like Iron Maiden because I just can't stand their music or their style. I would never be a fan of the game regardless of the layout or gameplay. But I can appreciate it for being unique and interesting. I can appreciate that for a lot of folks it is fun and their favorite game. Because of that, I dont feel the need to crap on the game whenever possible. That is the problem with Kaneda. He professes and talks a lot, but then does the opposite. Most recently doing a podcast titled, "LE buyers are wimps." Well, you own a Super LE, Mr. Kaneda, that makes you a super wimp. Pull the plank out of your own eye and respect people who paid their hard earned money for the best darn world under glass out there with a unique new layout and code. And to quote the next future great release, "I said, good day sir!"

#4953 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm not sure if anyone listened to the Kaneda review of Pirates that he put out yesterday, but I definitely have issues with the way he's approached the game.
I think the market exists for two current purposes, home ownership, and onsite play. Stern takes the approach of immediate accessibility. Within five minutes of walking up to many Stern games, there's a sense of direction, and an understanding of goals and gratification to some degree. Whereas with JJP I've walked away from many of their games, and after five minutes have found just an elementary sense of flow and rule structure.
I feel that's where he's missing the mark here. Accessibility isn't the targetted market for JJP. And sans a more fleshed out license, @hoggbogg couldn't approach the table in the same way the Hobbit was created. The Hobbit has a definite story structure, but does that make it a better game for it or more beholden to the license?
Pirates is an impeccable game for creating layers of modes, game objectives, and multi-ball that feels frenetic in a way I haven't experienced before in a pin.
When I was lucky enough to have played the game at JJP in Jersey last summer, I walked away in awe at the whole upper ship playfield, the expansiveness of character selection, and it's elegant wide body form. I also walked away scratching my head, and having little clue what I was playing.
Months later of playing the game on-site, as well as watching multiple JJP streams and the Deadflip one, I'm now in awe not just of it's aesthetics, but of the layered synergies and dynamic gameplay this game brings to the market, and brings it in an exciting and nuanced way I haven't experienced in ages. It's a technical game, it's a dense game, and that combination most of all makes it....a FUN game!
Not every game needs the same adherence to design, narrative structure, or playfield layout.
Even if a game doesn't click with me within that initial five minute mark, I'd much more prefer it did at the fifty minute mark. That proves it has legs past the initial low bar accessibility that I often see in older games of the classic era or in some modern Sterns, and for that I am not disappointed, but gleeful.

So many words, “We be but humble Pirates” the game is just bat shit awesome FUN! Argggghhh!

#4954 5 years ago

Who cares what Kman thinks about a game

He is in the overwhelming minority on Potc.

It’s too complicated for him to understand

#4955 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Which is amusing because the rulesheet/flow chart is far simpler than WOZ or Hobbit. I guess he is waiting for "Chutes and Ladders the Pin".

#4956 5 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Which post # talks about removing ship.

#4565 is one. There are a few.

LTG : )

#4957 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed. While I rarely advise anyone what to like or buy the last thing I care about is someone telling me why I shouldn’t like something. There are many games I have bought and played and just didn’t find them fun so I move on. I will always share why I got rid of it but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t like it? For us and our collection this game hit top 2 status and amazes us every day we play it. The only Sad or upsetting part of POTC is the possibility this game will stop being made and many will miss out on what I believe to be the current Highest bar in pinball to Date.

#4958 5 years ago

Writing it down. Thanks LTG

#4959 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm not sure if anyone listened to the Kaneda review of Pirates that he put out yesterday, but I definitely have issues with the way he's approached the game.

I agree. Stay tuned.

#4960 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Changed and covered here on Pinside. A lot.
Changed to a single spinning disc, which grabs the ball better. The three discs are onw in video on the big screen in the backbox.
There should be some screws to fasten topper to the trac on the top of the backbox.
LTG : )

Yeah I checked all the boxes. No hardware for the topper.

Gerry

#4961 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Yeah I checked all the boxes. No hardware for the topper.
Gerry

Not in the sealed blister packs either? Should have 4 plastic plugs and 4 screws.

#4962 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

He (Kaneda) is predisposed to not like the game. He has gone to great lengths to show he hates the license and the films. He only like Franchi art (his head is way up his...). He rants forever about the delay in production. He hated the JJP Standard, LE, CE system because it is not the same as Stern. He has made it clear he does not like Keefer's deep rules (funny, because he touts LOTR as the greatest Stern ever). No matter what, he will never love this game. Which is ridiculous given the 3 things he professes to believe:
1) pinball needs to be a world under glass, which JJPOTC is in spades
2) people should not judge too soon and should be allowed to change their minds (this only seems to apply to people whom he has offended)
3) value is in the BOM, quality, and mechs not "fun = value"
He won't admit his own failure in lack of objectivity. I will never like Iron Maiden because I just can't stand their music or their style. I would never be a fan of the game regardless of the layout or gameplay. But I can appreciate it for being unique and interesting. I can appreciate that for a lot of folks it is fun and their favorite game. Because of that, I dont feel the need to crap on the game whenever possible. That is the problem with Kaneda. He professes and talks a lot, but then does the opposite. Most recently doing a podcast titled, "LE buyers are wimps." Well, you own a Super LE, Mr. Kaneda, that makes you a super wimp. Pull the plank out of your own eye and respect people who paid their hard earned money for the best darn world under glass out there with a unique new layout and code. And to quote the next future great release, "I said, good day sir!"

My biggest issue with his viewpoint is exactly in concert with what you've expressed here. He had a predisposed idea from however long he played prior, then hypes up this idea for weeks, weeks mind you, that he was going to be shown the game by someone who knew and adored it in spades, yet upon meeting him, he simply echoes the same issues he had prior to going to play. So.....what was the point? He didn't care for it, and seemingly wasn't open to shifting his viewpoints? I egged him on in a drunken voicemail, to stick to his views, (jokingly so, feeling he might consider the game upon seeing different aspects with a proper pin tutor) and man...he actually DID stick entirely to his script.

Pirates is the antithesis of the Munsters, and for what they both seek to achieve, that's okay! Pirates is not at all easily comprehensible in five minutes, and the Munsters sadly, somewhat can be. That doesn't negate either game's value, it simply lends itself to different gaming palettes, which should ideally strike the tone of his review. This isn't his style of game, and that's fine, but I can in no way fathom Batman 66' being as dense as Pirates, also while being as accessible and fun. Batman has many accessible avenues to take, but that doesn't make it's dense and layered. It simply means it has options, and options that when I've played it, seem scattered and detached. That said, I could definitely use a Batman Pin Tutor!

When I first approached this game, man was I iffy on it. Then playing it time and time again, I was still not seeing what it brought to the literal and figurative table. It was only WHEN I watched the JJP Pin Masters play it, that I observed the layers of insane fun that could be tapped into, with enough patience and diligence, and most of all.... open mindedness. And wasn't that..exactly..the take Kaneda was supposed to take upon this POTC Guided Tour this weekend???

Quoted from Yelobird:

So many words, “We be but humble Pirates” the game is just bat shit awesome FUN! Argggghhh!

Exactly! It's immediate fun if you're open to it! The Black Pearl alone, with loading and firing the cannon, is executed in a way that never ceases to be exciting!

Quoted from iceman44:

I care because he seems passionate, articulate, and able to create a good flow of words, ideas, and do with a sense of pizazz and showmanship that I haven't heard in other pinball podcast avenues. He has a necessary sense of style and "voice".

I don't need to agree with him entirely all the time, to see value in his or anyone's constructive viewpoints.....but I do feel he was predisposed and not open to seeing the game at all in any new perceivable way. I shift my views, as I try to after any impression I get, whether it's a first play of pinball, meeting someone for the first time, or taking in any new information. First impressions are invaluable, but the ability to be flexible and allow those impressions to be maleable down the road with more exposure, all the more so.

#4963 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've removed those screws before on games to install shooter lane Cliffys and they are always very tight. How one of those types of screws could be loose is beyond me. Either the screw was never put in all the way or the screw hole was stripped. If the screw was properly installed there's no way it would come lose during shipping. This is the type of item that QC should and needs to be catching.

My first thought was the screw hole was stripped but it went in no problem.

Is the piece of foam in the chest supposed to be removed or should it be stuck above the ball sensors?

#4964 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I care because he seems passionate, articulate, and able to create a good flow of words, ideas, and do with a sense of pizazz and showmanship that I haven't heard in other pinball podcast avenues. He has a necessary sense of style and "voice".

In other words he's "full of shit"

He's entitled to his opinion. He did play it for 3 hours yesterday.

#4965 5 years ago

I find the game extremely approachable and intuitive. I was worried before I got it that it would take a long time to get the hang of. Everything is right there in front of you. It's brilliant. Now, my TWD, on the other hand....after months, the rules still are murky to me.
I don't know why anyone would waste even 5minutes listening to that k dude.

#4966 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

rpz also look at the angle of the shooter rails in my photo vs yours - mine is further right which puts a rail where your ball is stuck. Might want to loosen the nut and adjust.

This seems to have done the trick!! Thanks so much! Had about 4 games and no hang ups!

The little clear rubber was there, but I found another one here;

Any idea where it belongs?

2A5FD6F4-7258-4338-808D-E61549A0541E (resized).jpeg2A5FD6F4-7258-4338-808D-E61549A0541E (resized).jpeg7C15EB2F-1ED2-4988-A1F2-3D8A802A8CF7 (resized).jpeg7C15EB2F-1ED2-4988-A1F2-3D8A802A8CF7 (resized).jpeg
#4967 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

This seems to have done the trick!! Thanks so much! Had about 4 games and no hang ups!
Any idea where it belongs?[quoted image][quoted image]

My idea...it should've been over below the 'D' on 'man overboard' and not there. I don't have a clear rubber where your picture seems to indicate, nor do I see a purpose for it being there in the first place.

#4968 5 years ago

LE #78 (Build date 2/4/19) is now setup in my house, picked it up yesterday from ZMeny from Flip N Out Pinball, even got Hollywoodbone to help us load it:

IMG_6598 (resized).JPGIMG_6598 (resized).JPG

IMG_6599 (resized).JPGIMG_6599 (resized).JPG

Went thru everything with a fine tooth comb, some fixes were already installed from the factory, which shows they do listen to Pinside:

IMG_6600 (resized).JPGIMG_6600 (resized).JPG

Also added Titan Silicone rings on the Black Pearl and Flippers, @tonycip's Medallion Shooter, as well as MezelMods clear plastic protectors. Hopefully the ordered Cliffys will come in sometime soon.....

I've only problems with two issues, one is the Black Pearl wasn't quite centered in its rocking action, which was easily addressed adjusting the screws on back.

The other issue is a PITA that I've yet to been able to fix: Upon setting up the pin I discovered that the display itself not latched in place correctly during shipping on the right side. Luckily it did not damage the backglass. Once I moved the wooden shipping blocks and latched the display into place the right is sagging almost 3/8-1/2" too low. I tried everyday possible to adjustment to the display and mounting arm possible short of total disassembly of the mount with no improvement, the silver frame of the display is still visible and showing on the left. My temporary solution for now is inserting a wooden block as wedge to push up the right side, it's not visible while the backglass is on but its not right. I'm contacting Zach & JJP tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. I tried most tricks in this thread with no avail.

Besides that she is a best to play. Be looking for an order in the next couple of days Yelobird ! Hoping to keep her in the lineup for a long time:

IMG_6603 (resized).JPGIMG_6603 (resized).JPG

#4969 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

My idea...it should've been over below the 'D' on 'man overboard' and not there. I don't have a clear rubber where your picture seems to indicate, nor do I see a purpose for it being there in the first place.

Already have one near D, this seems to be another one?

#4970 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Any idea where it belongs?[quoted image][quoted image]

Back of Tortuga scoop have one?

#4971 5 years ago

Here's what I love about Kanedas review, he addressed POTC being referred to as the GOAT as so many people are considering it just that

When it comes to dropping $8k+ on a pin it needs to have legs. Many of Sterns pins are approachable yet most don't have legs in terms of unique and deep code. As Zach from SDTM said in his POTC review "this is a masterpiece code" and I agree. The ruleset of POTC is very approachable yet has a ton of depth, variety, and strategy to it. That is what I want in an $8k+ pin, that's a big reason why I bought an LE, and that's why I continue to buy JJP pins.

#4972 5 years ago

I’ll post some thoughts i feel about JJPOTC in regards to Kaneda cause i think he may learn a thing or two here. Now, i could care less if he or anyone doesn’t like the pin - after all, it is pinball. But, i’d Like to tackle this from a different perspective in hope’s to open up the third eye:

First, JJPOTC vs. SFII the arcade game. I grew up in the 90’s and spent many countless hours in arcades, mainly playing the SFII & MK2 games. Heck, i even worked in arcade for 10 years and eventually became a store manager before moving on to my current career. That said, arcade games were very linear structured games, basic storylines, intuitive rules and understanding, and very story driven. Then along comes SFII; the story lines and single player progression was very weak compared to most arcade games, but what SFII had was character selection with very deep rules which began a saga of pvp. Then came SFII Chapmions edition with even more characters, and eventually Marvel vs SF and capcom vs SF with loads and loads of character selection. And now to this day, because of that, video games have endless possibilities for character selection, development, and depth. You pick a few characters you relate to, and master their abilities and style. It wouldn’t be til countless weeks or months of playing that you would veer off and try different characters and specialties. Now onto JJPOTC - a deep rule set but like SFII, it has many characters to choose from and for you, the player, to specialize & focus on your path to ruling the pirates universe. Do you bring in a character like Salazar and focus on movie 5 objectives and go for its wizard mode, or do you pick a more general character like Elizabeth swan able to progress steadily on all movie objectives? Or perhaps you go with a fan favorite like Captain Jack Sparrow and benefit from the luck of the draw like he seems to in the movies and rely heavily on tortuga mystery awards? Or do you take captain Barbosa who rules the ships and treasures (i.e. the multiball jackpots)? So many possibilities; like SFII, you wont learn each characters strengths and weaknesses in a day of playing. It will take many many games than that.

That brings us to Theme Integration. If this game was based on Curse of the Black Pearl; then yes, it would make sense to make this a more story driven game. But, it’s not. I may be in the minority, but i happen to like all the Pirate movies. Are they the best movies ever made? Not by a long shot. They are fun and campy pirate movies. That said, the movies aren’t just focused on Captain Jack Sparrow. There are so many sub plots, and sub stories that focus on all sorts of characters. And in the movies, each character has a different pirate like personality that is brought to life and plays a roll in each scene. The pinball takes advantage of this allowing players to take on one of these characteristics to battle in the pirate universe. In the movies, each person (or pirate) has their own agenda for acquiring what they want most which is what the movie is mostly about. So who are you going to choose and which direction are you going to go with? To me, the JJP team did a fantastic job of incorporating the theme to this game.

Lastly, many JJP games (JJPOTC is not alone here) have problems on location. I think Dialed in is their worst of the 4 pins by JJP, but it’s also the best for on location as it has the fewest issues. Ive played finely tuned JJPOTC’s and not so fine tuned and there is a major difference; just as the same with stern games. And i think Kaneda has no room to talk about ball times when comparing it to BM66, holy marathon ball times Batman!

SKB out...

#4973 5 years ago

None of my switches on the Black Pearl are working. I believe it's the green and brown wire that's the problem. Has anyone been able to fix that wire without removing the ship? I haven't done it yet, and would prefer to not remove it until I have my Cliffys.

#4974 5 years ago

Anyone not watch any of the movies until after they started playing this machine? I haven't seen any of them and I'm wondering if it will enhance my enjoyment of the game if I do watch them.

#4975 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've removed those screws before on games to install shooter lane Cliffys and they are always very tight. How one of those types of screws could be loose is beyond me. Either the screw was never put in all the way or the screw hole was stripped. If the screw was properly installed there's no way it would come lose during shipping. This is the type of item that QC should and needs to be catching.

I should also note the plunger tip was ripped/bent. Looks like it go smashed up against something and the plastic tip already ripped off. Not damage to the box but looks like that side of the cab/game took a beating it was barley assembled before it left JJP. Again this was a game built two weeks ago.

#4976 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I should also note the plunger tip was ripped/bent. Looks like it go smashed up against something and the plastic tip already ripped off. Not damage to the box but looks like that side of the cab/game took a beating it was barley assembled before it left JJP. Again this was a game built two weeks ago.

I had a torn shooter tip as did a friend. In my case I thought it was caused by the shooter contacting the autoplunger but maybe they are just being applied too aggressively at the factory, or are a cheap part.

#4977 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Anyone not watch any of the movies until after they started playing this machine? I haven't seen any of them and I'm wondering if it will enhance my enjoyment of the game if I do watch them.

Yep. One of my maybe projects is to put together a wiki which lists the chapters in the game along with 2-3 sentences describing what is going on.

#4978 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

None of my switches on the Black Pearl are working. I believe it's the green and brown wire that's the problem. Has anyone been able to fix that wire without removing the ship? I haven't done it yet, and would prefer to not remove it until I have my Cliffys.

I had one machine where 3 of the Pearl switches were out and yes it was that wire. Sorry to say it has to come out, there is no way you’re going to solder it back without doing so.

#4979 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had one machine where 3 of the Pearl switches were out and yes it was that wire. Sorry to say it has to come out, there is no way you’re going to solder it back without doing so.

Bummer. Hopefully I receive my protectors soon. Thank you for your response.

#4980 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Went thru everything with a fine tooth comb, some fixes were already installed from the factory, which shows they do listen to Pinside:

The JJP folks definitely read this thread and they are really great. I am glad to hear some of the fixes are being done proactively!

It sounds like you had a great unboxing! I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do!

#4981 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

LE #78 (Build date 2/4/19) is now setup in my house, picked it up yesterday from zmeny from Flip N Out Pinball, even got hollywoodbone to help us load it:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Also added Titan Silicone rings on the Black Pearl and Flippers, tonycip's Medallion Shooter, as well as MezelMods clear plastic protectors. Hopefully the ordered Cliffys will come in sometime soon.....
I've only problems with two issues, one is the Black Pearl wasn't quite centered in its rocking action, which was easily addressed adjusting the screws on back.
The other issue is a PITA that I've yet to been able to fix: Upon setting up the pin I discovered that the display itself not latched in place correctly during shipping on the right side. Luckily it did not damage the backglass. Once I moved the wooden shipping blocks and latched the display into place the right is sagging almost 3/8-1/2" too low. I tried everyday possible to adjustment to the display and mounting arm possible short of total disassembly of the mount with no improvement, the silver frame of the display is still visible and showing on the left. My temporary solution for now is inserting a wooden block as wedge to push up the right side, it's not visible while the backglass is on but its not right. I'm contacting Zach & JJP tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. I tried most tricks in this thread with no avail.
Besides that she is a best to play. Be looking for an order in the next couple of days yelobird ! Hoping to keep her in the lineup for a long time:
[quoted image]

I had this happen with my screen too. Here's how I fixed it: loosen the screw on the wooden block on right side above the tab and slide wooden block up. Raise the tab, push the right side of monitor in towards the center and up simultaneously. It should catch the latch and hold better.

#4982 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's what I love about Kanedas review, he addressed POTC being referred to as the GOAT as so many people are considering it just that
When it comes to dropping $8k+ on a pin it needs to have legs. Many of Sterns pins are approachable yet most don't have legs in terms of unique and deep code. As Zach from SDTM said in his POTC review "this is a masterpiece code" and I agree. The ruleset of POTC is very approachable yet has a ton of depth, variety, and strategy to it. That is what I want in an $8k+ pin, that's a big reason why I bought an LE, and that's why I continue to buy JJP pins.

I can allow Kaneda's view that POTC isn't a"Greatest of all time" game as some have proclaimed it to be. That is a subjective ranking opinion and he's entitled to it. However, to pronounce it a loser because it doesn't meet his narrow definition of a winning pinball game (must tell a story and be approachable) is simply absurd. Additionally, stating that it doesn't take advantage of its widebody playfield, has no toys of value, and the center spinner has absolutely no effect on the ball, all make me wonder what the hell he was looking at while playing the POTC at Sunshine Laundromat and/or how their game has been set up!

I also wonder how well he could hear the game at Sunshine as the audio on POTC is not only amazingly good, it REALLY enhances the gameplay and significantly aids a player's understanding of its various features.

One only needs to watch a portion of Karl DeAngelo's latest fantastic POTC stream from this very afternoon to see what a wonderful game it is!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389946436

#4983 5 years ago
11C84731-5BCF-47EA-9CB8-EFF7EB29AA40 (resized).jpeg11C84731-5BCF-47EA-9CB8-EFF7EB29AA40 (resized).jpeg
#4984 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image]

The fact that you actually own two POTC's is already quite a personal endorsement!

#4985 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The fact that you actually own two POTC's is already quite a personal endorsement!

I’m thinking of dumping them both for a CE, but I’d like to stay married.

#4986 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m thinking of dumping them both for a CE, but I’d like to stay married.

Lol. Do it! Selling my POTC LE after 3 weeks was the hardest thing I ever did Until my CE arrived. Just beautiful is the only way to describe it.....

#4987 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol. Do it! Selling my POTC LE after 3 weeks was the hardest thing I ever did Until my CE arrived. Just beautiful is the only way to describe it.....

As someone interested in an LE, do you feel the increase in price has merit?

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I can allow Kaneda's view that POTC isn't a"Greatest of all time" game as some have proclaimed it to be. That is a subjective ranking opinion and he's entitled to it. However, to pronounce it a loser because it doesn't meet his narrow definition of a winning pinball game (must tell a story and be approachable) is simply absurd. Additionally, stating that it doesn't take advantage of its widebody playfield, has no toys of value, and the center spinner has absolutely no effect on the ball, all make me wonder what the hell he was looking at while playing the POTC at Sunshine Laundromat and/or how their game has been set up!
I also wonder how well he could hear the game at Sunshine as the audio on POTC is not only amazingly good, it REALLY enhances the gameplay and significantly aids a player's understanding of its various features.
One only needs to watch a portion of Karl DeAngelo's latest fantastic POTC stream from this very afternoon to see what a wonderful game it is!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389946436

His ideas on story enabling a better game experience are a bit misplaced, disingenuous even. How many pinball games have notable story based experiences at this point? (Maybe something DeepRoot wants to explore more supposedly..). Does killing Smaug in the Hobbit or saving the Princess in TOTAN really create atmosphere and value outside of the first few times a player accomplishes that? Most pins have barely any narrative structure, yet so many are incredibly revered, and on a higher level of nuance and less scrutiny than POTC?

#4988 5 years ago

I like Kanedas Podcast. It's just his opinion... For me it doesn't change anything about my enjoyment of my POTC.

#4989 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

As someone interested in an LE, do you feel the increase in price has merit?

His ideas on story enabling a better game experience are a bit misplaced, disingenuous even. How many pinball games have notable story based experiences at this point? (Maybe something DeepRoot wants to explore more supposedly..). Does killing Smaug in the Hobbit or saving the Princess in TOTAN really create atmosphere and value outside of the first few times a player accomplishes that? Most pins have barely any narrative structure, yet so many are incredibly revered, and on a higher level of nuance and less scrutiny than POTC?

Every player, buyer, and collector has there own personal interest. For me I wouldn't have done it if I didn't see the value and long term enjoyment of the game. ALL models are great just depends on what You think is important. I am very happy with my decision!

#4990 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Every player, buyer, and collector has there own personal interest. For me I wouldn't have done it if I didn't see the value and long term enjoyment of the game. ALL models are great just depends on what You think is important. I am very happy with my decision!

What pushed you over the edge? It seems more unique than the Dialed-In CE.

Quoted from philsublime:

I like Kanedas Podcast. It's just his opinion... For me it doesn't change anything about my enjoyment of my POTC.

Oh, I do too, but at this point it feels more like stirring the pot more to be contrary than anything else, and most likely to garner discussion on here indirectly/directly for sure. He has a fantastic ability to stretch time, detail a story, and do lead-in's in ways most podcasters don't, somewhat akin to radio dj's of yore.

#4991 5 years ago

To go off on a very quick tangent, pinball is at it's core, metal meeting wood and plastic. We've even seen P3 involve glass, and the loss of tactile feedback alters pinball in a way where it's no longer pinball. Down that road, to heavily weigh plot structure or narrative advancement would need to be facilitated via moving, interchangable pieces on the playfield itself, and outside of glass, that's impossible. So to do so now, has to be done via an LCD screen somehow. LCD's definitely remove a viewer from the main component of pinball again, the tactile feedback.

Unless 3 to 4 dedicated years were spent engineering entirely new game advancements and engineering feats, which in turn would sink any company wishing to profit, there won't ever be narrative journeys more substantial than jumbled video and audio clips mashed oddly together, ala the Hobbit or Batman 66. The limit isn't necessarily the creators, it's the medium, and again, pinball being pinball, with elaborate nuances at best, and that is more than fine by me.

#4992 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Does killing Smaug in the Hobbit or saving the Princess in TOTAN really create atmosphere and value outside of the first few times a player accomplishes that?

Killing Smaug never gets old for me . The flippers go dead and you watch the animation and then get to do victory laps . For me it's not easy to do so I find it very satisfying and feel as though I have really achieved something . One of the best pinball moments going around in my opinion .

#4993 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Back of Tortuga scoop have one?

I think you are onto something here (again)

Got a pic of yours?

They are bit like a puzzle from the moment your receive them. Having said that. I’ve had lots of fun dialing it in and getting it going 100%

#4994 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yep. One of my maybe projects is to put together a wiki which lists the chapters in the game along with 2-3 sentences describing what is going on.

Sounds a little over ambitious to me and not worth it. There are 25 possible (randomly selected) chapters for each movie and five movies. Do the math, that’s 25x5 = 125 chapters

I would say, just watch the movies, but only because I’m in the minority and I actually enjoyed the POTC movies (even though I can’t stand Depp outside of that character). But by movie 3, every damn character in the movie has 2-3 (or maybe more) subplots. If you ever get to the point where you can explain why Tia Dalma (Calypso) turns into a giant Calypso, starts shouting some sort of unintelligible garbage before transforming into a pile of crabs before falling into the sea...then by all means, have at it. I doubt even the directors can explain what is going on.

Then there’s this...I now enjoy shooting TH and I’ve only seen about 15min of any of those movies and I still don’t care to watch any of them...it’s still a fun machine to play and I could care less how many movie scenes they want to play on the back glass. I have absolutely no idea who or what I’m collecting or why...but I understand shooting the lights, loops, ramps, targets, and that dragon.

#4995 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

I think you are onto something here (again)
Got a pic of yours?
They are bit like a puzzle from the moment your receive them. Having said that. I’ve had lots of fun dialing it in and getting it going 100%

Besides the extra clear rubber included in your ‘goodie bag’, I’m aware of just three located on my playfield.

1D210B9C-1D6C-46D1-B5E1-3C50A3D2723E (resized).jpeg1D210B9C-1D6C-46D1-B5E1-3C50A3D2723E (resized).jpeg3100BF23-1609-44CD-B56E-713F2B6C4B50 (resized).jpeg3100BF23-1609-44CD-B56E-713F2B6C4B50 (resized).jpegF5F93B87-6E82-42BA-B90B-5EE01B420FFA (resized).jpegF5F93B87-6E82-42BA-B90B-5EE01B420FFA (resized).jpeg
#4996 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

LE #78 (Build date 2/4/19) is now setup in my house, picked it up yesterday from zmeny from Flip N Out Pinball, even got hollywoodbone to help us load it:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Also added Titan Silicone rings on the Black Pearl and Flippers, tonycip's Medallion Shooter, as well as MezelMods clear plastic protectors. Hopefully the ordered Cliffys will come in sometime soon.....
Besides that she is a best to play. Be looking for an order in the next couple of days yelobird ! Hoping to keep her in the lineup for a long time:
[quoted image]

Interesting the JJP is now integrating the ‘post fix’ onto that subway during production to prevent balls from not kicking out of the depths and going into a never-ending ball search during the end of a multi-ball. So it wasn’t a code defect, but rather a minor error in design that was missed during development. I don’t mean to sound critical, because they did get a lot of things right overall. Credit goes to the community on that fix though.

#4997 5 years ago

Just on a personal note , if the rumours are true and pirates is the last wide-body jjp are going to make I will be very disappointed . ( but I can understand , lots of people complaining about how expensive they are )After owning woz and TH and having a deposit on Pirates 16 months and counting , wide bodies feel the norm to me now .

#4998 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just on a personal note , if the rumours are true and pirates is the last wide-body jjp are going to make I will be very disappointed . ( but I can understand , lots of people complaining about how expensive they are )After owning woz and TH and having a deposit on Pirates 16 months and counting , wide bodies feel the norm to me now .

I agree. It's one of the reason I like JJP pins. When I play a standard body pin now, they just feel "mini" or small to me.

#4999 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Interesting the JJP is now integrating the ‘post fix’ onto that subway during production to prevent balls from not kicking out of the depths and going into a never-ending ball search during the end of a multi-ball. So it wasn’t a code defect, but rather a minor error in design that was missed during development. I don’t mean to sound critical, because they did get a lot of things right overall. Credit goes to the community on that fix though.

Do you know what the fix is? Is it an update that they would send to current owners?

#5000 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That same trap happened to my friend. I haven't seen it yet myself. I think we're gonna need some kind of protector around that hole.[quoted image]

I've had this same trap happen to me as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

There are 18,868 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/100?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.