• Latest reply 6 years ago by RandyV
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0706 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Is it possible that Pat peaked with Dialed In?That pin has a lot of good ideas he’s probaly been working on in his big brain since NGG

#2 6 years ago

If Pat peaked, it was years before. Probably Twilight Zone. Road Show was just Funhouse times 2 and his Stern years were lackluster.

DI seemed to give him new tools to use and I would bet his next one for JJP will be even better. He may be climbing a new mountain. Haha!

#3 6 years ago

?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is it possible this is a silly thread concept?

Now you hurt my feelings

#5 6 years ago

There are no silly threads, only silly posters ...

#6 6 years ago

Pat himself admitted that Twilight Zone in its final form only happened on the back of the success of Addams; and even then he should never have been allowed off the leash as much as he was and it would never ever happen in the industry again (though JJP Pirates may have proven him wrong). TZ is very much an outlier, as are his later Stern years where there wasn't nearly enough allocated resources to do his designs proper justice. But even with CSI during the leanest Stern period, you can tell Pat was still putting all the effort he could into his layouts.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

IMG_0706 (resized).JPGIMG_0706 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I really just wanted to see how others felt he might do in the future I was surprised how fresh Dialed In felt

#9 6 years ago

Pat Lawlor's games are the best in the business.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Pat himself admitted that Twilight Zone in its final form only happened on the back of the success of Addams; and even then he should never have been allowed off the leash as much as he was and it would never ever happen in the industry again (though JJP Pirates may have proven him wrong). TZ is very much an outlier, as are his later Stern years where there wasn't nearly enough allocated resources to do his designs proper justice. But even with CSI during the leanest Stern period, you can tell Pat was still putting all the effort he could into his layouts.

Is JJPirates his design?

You can make excuses for his Stern efforts but the licenses and art weren't very good either and I would imagine he had some say in that. If not then maybe a designer shouldn't get all the praise for their successes.

TAF is one of his best designs and there isn't anything new or mind blowing. It's just a great, simple design with the theme, music, art, and sound helping it merge together. Thing Flips is neat but if it was the only good thing about it people wouldn't play it still today.

I'm a fan of Ripley's because of the simplicity but brillance as well. The package around the layout isn't as solid as TAF but it is a very good game. One of his best if the art and sound were better.

#11 6 years ago

Big Lawlor fan. Don't know if he's just a private person but I was surprised to not hear a updated interview (podcast anyone?) about his career, process, and return with Dialed In when it launched.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Big Lawlor fan. Don't know if he's just a private person but I was surprised to not hear a updated interview (podcast anyone?) about his career, process, and return with Dialed In when it launched.

He’s busy making Toy Story!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

He’s busy making Toy Story!

Sweet NIB if true,hoping it’s not a wide body.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

We'll all find out in about 6-8 months.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wasn't DI standard width because Pat insisted?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is JJPirates his design?

No, it is an Eric Meunier design. New, young talent.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

why do you say that (hoping it's not a wide body?)

if you didn't like widebody games then i don't see why you have TZ, Woz, or TH. There is nothing inherently wrong with widebody games.

just curious on your comment.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

if you didn't like widebody games then i don't see why you have TZ, Woz, or TH. There is nothing inherently wrong with widebody games.

Well TZ as great as it is is somewhat laborious.Dialed in is my first JJP pin but I've played TH and WOZ quite a bit.
I just like the feel of the standard size pins.I do have Indiana Jones and it for some reason or the other feels real
smooth like a standard size pin.This from a guy who has owned RS,JD,TZ I could understand a wide body for a title
like Toy Story there is so much material to work with Damn my sons loved those movies growing up and I enjoyed
Watching them with them

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

LIONMA....what?

#20 6 years ago

Di is my favorite pat l pin by a fair amount. I hope toy s is a standard body and loaded with features like dile and ill b a buyer.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Well TZ as great as it is is somewhat laborious.Dialed in is my first JJP pin but I've played TH and WOZ quite a bit.
I just like the feel of the standard size pins.I do have Indiana Jones and it for some reason or the other feels real
smooth like a standard size pin.This from a guy who has owned RS,JD,TZ I could understand a wide body for a title
like Toy Story there is so much material to work with Damn my sons loved those movies growing up and I enjoyed
Watching them with them

sorry for the confusion, I clicked on the guy above you instead of you.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is it possible that Pat peaked with Dialed In?

No. He's just getting started. Pat stopped into my business a year and three quarters ago, and he was all giddy like a school kid. Happiest I'd seen him in almost twenty years. Excited with JJP, the new guys, and to be back.

Great times ahead. For Pat, for pinball.

LTG : )

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Watching them with them

Agree.

Widebody's are too floaty etc.

Hobbit should have been a narrow body. Widebody just made it worse.

Hope Toy Story is narrow body.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. He's just getting started. Pat stopped into my business a year and three quarters ago, and he was all giddy like a school kid. Happiest I'd seen him in almost twenty years. Excited with JJP, the new guys, and to be back.

This is great news. Having Pat Lawlor involved in pinball will always be a good thing. And if he can have freedom to create more masterpieces (and it sounds like he does at JJP), all the better.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Widebodies make my arms hurt after a long game of nudging the machine. I'm not against them, per se, just that I know going in that I will probably have sore arms at the end of a long game.

#26 6 years ago

Pat makes great games! Even look at his stern offerings, all interesting layouts. Di is a cool layout, fun, not his best but good, I bet he will still give us many more great games

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It's true

#28 6 years ago

RBION is quite a bit better than TZ in my opinion.
A hell of a lot harder and has a quirky humour and excellent call outs . Love it sick.
I achieved 2, yes 2 Wizard modes in one 5 bill game on TZ so find it a little
Still haven't reached wizard mode on Ripley's yet.

#29 6 years ago

I think JJP has a good thing going right now with Pat Lawlor and Eric Meunier making games. I like both games they have made for JJP so far.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I am insanely happy to hear that.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We'll all find out in about 6-8 months.

Are you suggesting JJP#5 will be revealed around TPF? Expo 2018 is 11 months off.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

TAF is one of his best designs and there isn't anything new or mind blowing. It's just a great, simple design with the theme, music, art, and sound helping it merge together. Thing Flips is neat but if it was the only good thing about it people wouldn't play it still today.

Nothing new or mind blowing? TAF was arguably the first game to have "modes" in the way that we know them today, with that concept still hanging strong 25 years later. The way it uses playfield magnets was pretty unprecedented. Thing Flips was certainly a standout. That's three major innovations in a single game.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Are you suggesting JJP#5 will be revealed around TPF? Expo 2018 is 11 months off.

Based on the timeline Jack mentioned was the goal when I talked to him at PAGG, the renamed PAGG (Golden State Pinball Festival) in May seems like the best time to announce JJP#5 and meet his release goal of 2 pins next year. PotC announced in Oct, shipping in Feb/Mar (5 month spread) and JJP#5/Toy Story announced in May, shipping in Oct/Nov (5 month spread). March to announce JJP would step on JJP#4 shipping, so I don't think TPR, although if they don't do that, they'll have the same problem on an Oct Expo announcement for JJP#6 stepping on JJP#5 shipping. But if they are tightening up the window from announcement to shipment (as has been the progression), then it could be announced in May and ship in Jul/Aug, leaving Expo 2018 clear to announce JJP#6/WW.

#34 6 years ago

Pat Lawlor innovates and designs games that reflect their era wonderfully. His innovation is often stifled by the company he works for. Dialed in has a wonderfully interactive phone, a truly innovative theatre, and a moving target that is multifunctional in that helps and hinders the player, and a unique approach toward lighting and flipper manipulation. It is the most innovative pin since Bally let him loose in the engineering candy store. His less innovative designs are due to Stern's bottom line approach, even when they were doing well.

#35 6 years ago

We won't really know if Pat has peaked until we see more games from him.

I am a fan of Pat's game and my gut says no - DI is not his peak. Not by a mile. As others have said, and in my opinion, his designs for Stern were limited by what Stern allowed him to do financially and by what the licensee allowed. That's the beauty of DI -- Pat had free reign to whatever he wanted with the theme and design. And now that he has experience with the JJP platform, I expect whatever he does next will be even better.

I think it's an exciting time and JJP is helping secure the future of pinball. Pat is designing again and he's mentoring guys like Eric, who clearly has a lot of talent. There need to be more new designers brought in. Sooner than we all want, Pat, Steve Ritchie, Borg, Nordman, Gomez, etc. will retire -- and we need them to pass their knowledge and insight on game design to guys like Eric in order to keep the game alive.

In this day and age, pinball a business where one bad game can likely be a company killer and two duds in a row would be almost certain death. Any new game is a risk, of course, but having an experienced designer working on it improves (but does not guarantee) the odds of success.

I imagine it's difficult to risk building a game done by a new designer with no previous experience without the proper guidance and support from an experienced team like JJP has.

So we'll see what Pat comes up with next and then we'll know where things are headed. I have no doubt whatever Pat does next will equal or better DI.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 22.50
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pat-lawlor-designs?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.