• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
jtnMR81.png
WWOP.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago

then you wonder how they don't see it when they get imperfections in the clear. And if they only give it one shot like that, no wonder factory clear is tissue paper thin.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Wouldn't it be smart if they do one layer at a time, stick it back in the rack to dry, then cycle through them all again to give it another coat? We only see one playfield, so we don't know how many layers get added. If it's just one, or multiple.

considering how many repo and new playfields people send me to fix and add clear. I'm sure that one shot is all they get.

#17 8 years ago

I dont' know what protector it is, but if it's a full sheet of plastic. I wouldn't be to keen on it. All depends where the edges are. I've seen similar things. And once dirt and other crap gets under it. Does more damage to the playfield than it would have just having the ball grind it in.

The robot is handy i'm sure. YOu don't have to pay someone to do it. He can sit there and crank out cart after cart of playfields. Don't have to stop and clean the gun. The initial cost has to be astronomical. And if there is a problem, like the gun is clogged or something. You wouldn't know it until a whole cart of playfields came out looking like ass. As far as doing it better than a human can. I don't see it being much different. Clear levels itself out. All comes down to how flat you have your playfield to begin with. Not that hard to keep uniform patterns when spraying. It's kind of like the auto industry. Factory paint jobs done by a robot, or hand paint jobs done in a shop. From what i've seen there. Hand paint jobs are far superior to factory robotic ones.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Good hand sprayed cars are superior based on the the addition work the shop does to achieve a superior finish. Wet sanding, buffing until the finish looks like a mirror. I think the finish on average cars today is pretty good and it's all done by robots with humans only fixing imperfections. But a good shop will do a better job and you'll pay big money for it.

I agree. He was saying robotic is superior. Every new car my friends bought recently, have major orange peel. Paint jobs look like shit. But they are not buying ferrari's either. Still new cars. Mass production can never put in the time that individuals can. The only flaw I can see with the robot, is over time. Overspray will attach to the robot. and get to the point, that shit is just falling in the clear from overspray buildup. Unless they are wiping the robot down with lacquer thinner every session. Saying they do not get dust in the clear with this method, doesn't seem possible. for one, it did not look like a clean room environment. 2. all the moving parts of the robot would have to kick up more dust than a human. Just from sheer size and moves. 3. the overspray self sticky situation. All in all, it's pretty awesome and great for production. But to say it's cleaner, and better than anything a human can do. Penn & Teller would have to call bullshit.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I've also seen some really bad paint jobs by body shops.

I agree. I'm not saying it's always better. It can look like shit no matter who does it. Also can look great from both methods. But to say one can do work the other can't. Isn't really true. Each can have the pros and cons. But like I said. for manufacturing. This is a very valuable asset.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Was the surface properly prepped prior to clearcoating? That should be the question . Put on by man or machine , doesn't matter if the surface isn't properly prepared to receive a clearcaot .Who prepped it ? Man (or woman ) I would guess , That's important and prep work is more important than who ,or what puts the clear on .

and i'll say a Lionman! to that.

#52 8 years ago

that's the thing. You can't expect production fields to have the level that us restorers do. Just to much leveling and layering that goes into each field. They would have to charge $1500 a playfield if that was the case. Better to keep the costs down. It's acceptable as is. Some people just want more clear and flatter. Those that do, can send it to those of us that restore fields, and the ones that are happy don't have to do anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-now-clear-coating-playfields?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.