Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-27 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 3.08.19 PM (resized).png
    105629183_665743294152996_1060035225578073660_n (resized).jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

If Addams Family had been a widebody, would it have sucked even more?

#52 3 years ago

I've only been saying for the last year. JJP it appears will look to streamlines everything from parts to playfields to cabinets. Personally I'd like to see more widebody games but at the end of the JJP needs to make more games faster. Wonka was still amazing widebody or not. JJP is the best in the business so whatever they do it will still be amazing.

#53 3 years ago

TZ might be a widebody but it plays like a narrow body... the left 3 inches of the game are unused except for gadgets and the dead end lane. Rightmost inch and a half is also unused except for the shooter lane.

Games like hobbit and DM and IJ that use the full widebody width just play slower at the orbit shots, whereas games like RS and TZ compessed the action and played better IMHO.

#54 3 years ago

I was all obsessed with Wide-bodies for years, got a WOZ partly because of it, then I got a TSPP at home and I've been playing Dialed In on location intensively and I must say I was wrong, standard body rules.

The problem with Widebodies is how the ball floats horizontally especially on the lower playfield part. That's where the action starts on a standard body, it becomes frantic and you have to keep an eye on the ball.

I don't think it goes against packing a playfield with stuff, even more when playing The Hobbit who I think could have been a much more fun game to play if it was a standard body.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I must say I was wrong, standard body rules.

U still wrong.
    Both have their merits. Some games just lend themselves better to a widebody or standard. Why not make both. Every 3 pins make a widebody.

#56 3 years ago

JJP is a company at the end of the day and profits will rule. Unfortunately, they took up the extra margin and sold Wonka LE and CE at the same wide body price points. Companies never go back once they take up slack, so there is no way they will give that savings up again. The problem now, is there is no more slack to take and their price points are already teetering on the edge of the “no thanks” threshold. So they can’t raise prices again to reinstate wide body since it will price out more buyers.

It was a way to make more profit without charging more, but at the expense of wide body, upper playfield, and possibly innovative mechs, if Wonka is any example of the new normal. We will find out for sure with GnR, because we know if it ends up being basic like Wonka it sure as hell won’t be because of Eric. It would mean that bean counters stripped his design. I hope I am wrong and GnR brings back the POTC level of innovation, despite the lack of space in a standard body. I’d rather have cutting edge design and mechs even if it means I have a few more things to tweak and fix. If GnR Is a letdown, I’ll just add a WOZ next to my POTC and wait until they figure it out.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from JamCat:

JJP is a company at the end of the day and profits will rule. Unfortunately, they took up the extra margin and sold Wonka LE and CE at the same wide body price points. Companies never go back once they take up slack, so there is no way they will give that savings up again. The problem now, is there is no more slack to take and their price points are already teetering on the edge of the “no thanks” threshold. So they can’t raise prices again to reinstate wide body since it will price out more buyers.
    It was a way to make more profit without charging more, but at the expense of wide body, upper playfield, and possibly innovative mechs, if Wonka is any example of the new normal. We will find out for sure with GnR, because we know if it ends up being basic like Wonka it sure as hell won’t be because of Eric. It would mean that bean counters stripped his design. I hope I am wrong and GnR brings back the POTC level of innovation, despite the lack of space in a standard body. I’d rather have cutting edge design and mechs even if it means I have a few more things to tweak and fix. If GnR Is a letdown, I’ll just add a WOZ next to my POTC and wait until they figure it out.

I didn't buy Wonka, but wasn't the standard sold at a pretty competitive price? You don't *have* to buy an LE.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I didn't buy Wonka, but wasn't the standard sold at a pretty competitive price? You don't *have* to buy an LE.

Wonka is amazing and the standard is a great buy for a nib imo. Offers alot of pin/features for under 7500 nib...

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I didn't buy Wonka, but wasn't the standard sold at a pretty competitive price? .

Competitive to a Stern prem. Not getting into the value argument, just staring the entry level price is steeper for sure.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Competitive to a Stern prem. Not getting into the value argument, just staring the entry level price is steeper for sure.

Right - I suppose I meant "competitive when compared to another JJP title"

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Right - I suppose I meant "competitive when compared to another JJP title"

Yeah it was nice they dropped the price 500.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

If pat considered TZ a mistake (wtf) then why make Road Show?

Pat never said TZ widebody nature was mistake... if you listen to his interview on TOPcast, he clearly states that TZ's complexity was a mistake. He felt they made it too difficult for the average player to understand.

#63 3 years ago

No more widebodies. I want to make sure whatever style cabinet they do is Pat approved. Not something he was forced to do.

image-27 (resized).jpgimage-27 (resized).jpg
    #64 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

I guess I am not jumping on the "JJP is moving to std body pins" outright until something is officially announced.

There's zero upside to an official announcement. All the widebody fans would whine, and if you ever change your mind, you get called a liar. Just keep making standard bodies but don't draw a line in the sand.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There's zero upside to an official announcement. All the widebody fans would whine, and if you ever change your mind, you get called a liar. Just keep making standard bodies but don't draw a line in the sand.

Yeah I totally agree. I have owned a few widebodies and loved the way they play. I also love fast standard body games too. Heck, even BOP with what seems to be short shots is fun lol.

Just keep making games JJP and I will be happy!

#66 3 years ago

This thread is a quadrilateral jerk.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-standard-body-pins/page/2?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.