Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg
    jerseysign (resized).jpg
    Lebowski-Opinion-Meme (resized).jpg
    JJP sign.jpg
    7A1D77B5-E9FC-4EEA-84E8-D00B85A0A678 (resized).jpeg
    2 29 20a 1850 Greenleaf (resized).jpg
    2 29 20a (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Roscoe 215080943 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2D5411D3-8375-49B3-9356-1D77637C092C.jpeg
    8F7B96B9-D04B-4A33-BFC1-72B9F9DDD574.jpeg
    pj (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    indiana-jones-2048x1024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#410 4 years ago

While I think it's a good idea to have engineering/purchasing located in the same building as manufacturing, there's got to be some growing pains getting new lineworkers up to speed if they are fresh off the street. Anyone know if the lineworkers were given an opportunity to relocate?

#416 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m sure there will be some but not much. One call to the dozens of temp agencies in Chicago like Stern and you have a work force in days. With the line format they use (put these 5 screws in and slide it down) they should be able to train basics quick. Temps are not coding or fabricating complicated assemblies. As for moving existing line workers I am sure they could but for just over minimum wage positions it’s highly unlikely many would relocate. Just an opinion.

Yeah, don't disagree about the worker putting screws in. I was thinking more along the lines of jobs that require a some skill (i.e. constructing the wiring harness).

One thing they will initially lose is the knowledge of the undocumented quirks that workers gain from repetitively building hundreds of pins (i.e. shove this wire a little bit to the left so it doesn't get pinched later when we install this other widget). Good news is engineering will be in the same building to assist.

Been there done that when the company I work for moved our manufacturing from up north to FLA.

#419 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Rockwell Microelectronics/Semiconductor Products Division had no issues with The first Gottlieb Solid State system. Design, development and purchasing were done at 4311 Jamboree Road in Newport Beach, California while all the boards were produced at 6 Butterfield Trail in El Paso, Texas. The wafer fabrication for the proprietary Rockwell IC's was also done in the attached plant to the Newport Beach offices.
    Note that the Gottlieb business was a niche contract for Rockwell compared to the various boards and assemblies they were pumping out of that factory in El Paso.

I have to admit my experience was with a board that I designed that required careful alignment (RF transmitter) that was farmed out south and to other countries. I imagine digital boards are a lot more friendly.

I'm sure they will sort it out, but I wouldn't want the the first pins out the door.

Interesting that Rockwell made boards for Gottlieb.

#423 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Wire harnesses are done in-house on a template board where you lay the wiring out on pegs just as it is mapped out. Very easy....no real skill involved other than knowing colors and following a life sized drawing. Perfect job for temps.

One thing that drives up cost on smaller production runs like pinball is rework. If it's not done right, then you have to factor in the repair time. Granted, with node boards and serial busses nowadays, wiring harnesses are not nearly are complex as in the past. Still, if someone has to 'touch it' for repair, then that's a cost that needs to be factored in. Plus it can affect the run rate.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-illinois?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.