Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg
    jerseysign (resized).jpg
    Lebowski-Opinion-Meme (resized).jpg
    JJP sign.jpg
    7A1D77B5-E9FC-4EEA-84E8-D00B85A0A678 (resized).jpeg
    2 29 20a 1850 Greenleaf (resized).jpg
    2 29 20a (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Roscoe 215080943 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2D5411D3-8375-49B3-9356-1D77637C092C.jpeg
    8F7B96B9-D04B-4A33-BFC1-72B9F9DDD574.jpeg
    pj (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    indiana-jones-2048x1024 (resized).jpg

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
    #201 4 years ago

The joke is, it’s all subjective. But a family standing in a show room will almost always choose SW for theme and fun game play for the whole family, unless they are really into pinball, then they might choose a JJP standard. But they are not twice as fun.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

The joke is, it’s all subjective. But a family standing in a show room will almost always choose SW for theme and fun game play for the whole family, unless they are really into pinball, then they might choose a JJP standard. But they are not twice as fun.

I agree its subjective, but that Stern SW HE is a complete joke....my guess is they sold very few units....its expensive for a compulsive purchase by a non pinball....once they do a little research they quickly realize its an over priced POS

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree its subjective, but that Stern SW HE is a complete joke....my guess is they sold very few units....its expensive for a compulsive purchase by a non pinball....once they do a little research they quickly realize its an over priced POS

You make some good points from pin ballers perspective. The real story here is stern achieved a $3.9k price point. That’s good news for us pin ballers too!

#204 4 years ago

Looking forward to the JJP factory tour at Expo

As a long time Illinois resident (abet Central/Southern Illinois which is almost like a different state than Chicagoland), I agree the business climate can be challenging in the state. That said, Chicago has been and continues to be the design and manufacturing epicenter of pinball, and this move will not only be good for JJP, but also be good for Illinois by bolstering one of our bright spot industries.

BTW, Portillo's has expanded out of Chicago to a few other states and to several downstate locations now so don't have to go north of I-80 to get a good Chicago Dog

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

As a long time Illinois resident (abet Central/Southern Illinois which is almost like a different state than Chicagoland), I agree the business climate can be challenging in the state. That said, Chicago has been and continues to be the design and manufacturing epicenter of pinball, and this move will not only be good for JJP, but also be good for Illinois by bolstering one of our bright spot industries.
    BTW, Portillo's has expanded out of Chicago to a few other states and to several downstate locations now for don't have to go north of I-80 to get a good Chicago Dog

Interesting.... Florida, CA and Arizona. C'mon PA!!!!

#206 4 years ago

Albeit immediately disruptive to business, as mentioned, this move makes business sense, in many ways. The consolidation of the two leases into one. The Engineering / Manufacturing in one location. The sheet metal, coin doors, pinball legs, wood cabinets, transformer, coils, common injection molded parts, and many other parts are made within a 20 minute ride from Elk Grove Village. The freight savings and logistic benefit is huge. The labor pool, as mentioned near Elk Grove, is a real asset, not to mention the pinball talent in the area. I am happy for the whole team at JJP, moving into their new facility.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

Albeit immediately disruptive to business, as mentioned, this move makes business sense, in many ways. The consolidation of the two leases into one. The Engineering / Manufacturing in one location. The sheet metal, coin doors, pinball legs, wood cabinets, transformer, coils, common injection molded parts, and many other parts are made within a 20 minute ride from Elk Grove Village. The freight savings and logistic benefit is huge. The labor pool, as mentioned near Elk Grove, is a real asset, not to mention the pinball talent in the area. I am happy for the whole team at JJP, moving into their new facility.

Don't forget the glass. Heavy stuff meaning costly to ship from Illinois to Central Jersey.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I'm not planning an Expo trip.

I do hope to see the new place. That trip I'd make. Check out my office.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : My office was a joke when JJP NJ was starting and one door wasn't labeled. I pointed out that it was my "office" a long time before I started helping with tech support.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Don't forget the glass. Heavy stuff meaning costly to ship from Illinois to Central Jersey.

Unless, it is mirrored backglass, the glass does not ship from Illinois. No benefit there.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Some of the best damn pizza on the planet. When I lived in L.A. it was hard to find a good slice. Yes, there were places. Just nowhere near as many good places that are in the Chicagoland area.

Are you talking about Chicago style or Dominos? Yeah, Dominos is good buddy- but they’re all over the country. Easy mistake- I knew you weren’t talking about Chicago style. That has to be the worst pizza in the country. Detroit style even kicks that around. “ I know, I know- let’s put the cheese on the bottom” said the guy at the Make the Worst Pizza Ever competition held in Chicago some bygone year.
    JJP will be shipping pizza in- from Wisconsin even- when their employees go on strike due to inhumane pizza conditions.

#211 4 years ago

For those that somehow think Stern is going to contract manufacture JJP games, think about that for a moment. Look what heavy metal costs ($8200 for star wars home pin with new art and graphics). If you're stern, the best way to kill off your competition is to raise the prices on the games they are making for you. Ask any company that OEM's a product out to some other company, it sucks. They basically control your prices now and can raise them as much as they want. My company is going through this right now so guess what we're doing, we're designing our own version for less money with better quality.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are unfortunately a few people here that want JJP to fail. Why?

Usually these are people unhappy with their own life. They like to take their misery out on others to make them feel better about themselves.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Are you talking about Chicago style or Dominos? Yeah, Dominos is good buddy- but they’re all over the country. Easy mistake- I knew you weren’t talking about Chicago style. That has to be the worst pizza in the country. Detroit style even kicks that around. “ I know, I know- let’s put the cheese on the bottom” said the guy at the Make the Worst Pizza Ever competition held in Chicago some bygone year.
    JJP will be shipping pizza in- from Wisconsin even- when their employees go on strike due to inhumane pizza conditions.

There is lots of different original pizza places in IL that do not cook their pizza that way. My personal favorite is Chicago Dough company. They have 3 locations. My favorite is the one in Bradley.
    And Dominos... No thanks. I don't eat that or Papa johns. But, its better than a lot of the pizza around L.A.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Move to St. Louis. The city would basically give you a location & cut your taxes for at least a decade. You can ship your pins via train to Chicago to ship overseas. I guarantee you'll save millions.

Higher murder rate than Chicago. No thanks.

I used to like visiting when my job took me nearby.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

what parts, the boards? I'm talking about off the shelf pinball parts like flipper mechs, posts, playfield glass, coin doors, legs, lockdown bars. Unless you're homepin, I'm guessing most of that comes from pinball life.

What country makes the parts to make the final assemblies? Glass is likely made in the US but I doubt most metal parts are made in the US.
    Also, doesn't pinballlife get most of their parts from other countries as well just like LED bulbs?

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

For those that somehow think Stern is going to contract manufacture JJP games, think about that for a moment. Look what heavy metal costs ($8200 for star wars home pin with new art and graphics). If you're stern, the best way to kill off your competition is to raise the prices on the games they are making for you. Ask any company that OEM's a product out to some other company, it sucks. They basically control your prices now and can raise them as much as they want. My company is going through this right now so guess what we're doing, we're designing our own version for less money with better quality.

Perhaps JJP will try to poach some of the inexpensive skilled pinball assembly workers that Stern uses in Illinois. JJP may only need them part time anyway with the slow rate they make games.

#217 4 years ago

So if I’m reading this right, Jersey Jack is getting bought by Stern? You can’t be Jersey Jack down the street from Stern in Chicago.

It’s like when the Anaheim (a city in Orange County) Angeles decided to call themselves the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim? Whaaaa? Why not just say it’s the New York Yankees of California?

So if this is true, JJP GNR will be Stern GNR and will basically be the same reskin of Stranger Things

RIP JJP

#218 4 years ago

You dolts know Jersey Jack is his moniker right? Its wherever he is

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

From my travels: Chicago has cheaper tolls, you can pump your own gas, you can turn left without having to turn right, AND the food is a whole lot better!

you lost me at food is a lot better.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So if I’m reading this right, Jersey Jack is getting bought by Stern?

Please forgive me for interjecting here.

You are reading it wrong.

Jersey Jack Pinball is moving to Chicago. A move that will unite Jersey Jack Pinball New Jersey and Jersey Jack Pinball Chicago into one place. This move has absolutely nothing to do with Stern Pinball. With the possible exception of some of the craziest shit I've ever read here on Pinside on one thread.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Please forgive me for interjecting here.
    You are reading it wrong.
    Jersey Jack Pinball is moving to Chicago. A move that will unite Jersey Jack Pinball New Jersey and Jersey Jack Pinball Chicago into one place. This move has absolutely nothing to do with Stern Pinball. With the possible exception of some of the craziest shit I've ever read here on Pinside on one thread.

So are you working for Stern now?

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

With the possible exception of some of the craziest shit I've ever read here on Pinside on one thread.

And if you want the weird to really turn pro, you just say JJP and Stern are merging to become Sternsey Jack Pinball...

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You dolts know Jersey Jack is his moniker right? Its wherever he is

The Name Jersey Jack was coined by Eddie Adlum, the publisher of RePlay Magazine.

#224 4 years ago

So Jersey Jack will no longer have any presence in Jersey, but somehow still be called Jersey Jack?

When the Minneapolis Lakers left Minneapolis and moved to Los Angeles, they became The Los Angeles Lakers (same with the Brooklyn Dodgers)

So somehow Jack is still going to be called Jersey Jack in Chicago?

Now that’s the craziest shit I’ve ever heard of.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Jersey Jack Pinball is moving to Chicago

Quoted from LTG:

with Stern Pinball.

Wow! Really! They are merging?

Sorry, I could not resist.

I hope all this settles down soon.

LTG is the man!

#226 4 years ago

Illinois Jack ??

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

There is lots of different original pizza places in IL that do not cook their pizza that way. My personal favorite is Chicago Dough company. They have 3 locations. My favorite is the one in Bradley.
    And Dominos... No thanks. I don't eat that or Papa johns. But, its better than a lot of the pizza around L.A.

Ok, I’ll try it some time. Interesting they call it Chicago style, menu looks more like Neapolitan. Best deep dish Neapolitan style I’ve had is Infusinos in Racine, WI.

#228 4 years ago

Where is pinlawyer when you need him... I am sure the legal costs to change the name would make it prohibitively unecessary.

#229 4 years ago

Chicago Jack sounds ok.

#230 4 years ago

Elk Grove Village Jack Pinball?

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

So are you working for Stern now?

I guess. I'll have to call Gary in the morning and check.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

When the Minneapolis Lakers left Minneapolis and moved to Los Angeles, they became The Los Angeles Lakers (same with the Brooklyn Dodgers)

When I moved from Minneapolis to St. Louis Park. I didn't become LTG : )

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Jack will still be called Jack.

No idea if the company he started will have a name change or not. Lots of companies relocate yet retain their founding names.

#233 4 years ago

JJP is moving and the trolls and fanboys come out ... Sad but predictable ...

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So Jersey Jack will no longer have any presence in Jersey, but somehow still be called Jersey Jack?
    Now that’s the craziest shit I’ve ever heard of.

I guess you'll have to take that one up with the Association and the Commissioner.

#235 4 years ago

PinballExpo could have a bus trip to ever more factories now? Maybe??

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Jack will still be called Jack.
    No idea if the company he started will have a name change or not. Lots of companies relocate yet retain their founding names.

So then The Los Angeles Jersey Jack of Chicago New York it is!

#237 4 years ago

For all us LA folk, Los Angeles has to be in the new name somewhere...

#238 4 years ago

We still have the shittiest pizza though of all 4 cities Jersey Jack belongs to now

#239 4 years ago

rumour has it jack signed a 1 yr deal as the kicker with the bears.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought most pinball parts were coming from Asia?

The best solution would obviously be to move all the manufacturing and assembling to china.
    Keep design, concept artists etc in the us, but do the groundwork in one location.
    It's also the lowest cost.

#241 4 years ago

Actually China right now is the most expensive. Mainly because nobody is working due to drinking Corona beers and getting a virus from it

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

The best solution would obviously be to move all the manufacturing and assembling to china.
    Keep design, concept artists etc in the us, but do the groundwork in one location.

More likely Mexico would be cheaper especially with this kind of unique assembly and the fact that probably 85% of the end-product is sold in the North America.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

No. Keep production in USA!

#244 4 years ago

What about Jack himself and his other business? Staying in NJ I assume???

https://www.pinballsales.com/

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Pretty sure Jack himself is Staying in Jersey.

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

You’re right on the money on this one. JJP quality is a myth, it doesn’t exist. Stern’s machines as a whole work all the time.

Based on my experience of operating games.
    Best (least headache, PITA, adjustments needed out of the box, ease of maintenance, good parts, etc...) to Worst (often broken and critical failure out of box, continual headaches, cheap parts, premature failure, etc...)

The best = CGC and Spooky

The good (not happy with recent pf issues but they are not the end of the world and the parts are solid and QC is great post the original WOZ run) = JJP

The worst = Stern (node board failure, constant pf issues, flipper failures, cheap metal that is breaking in <500 plays, and often multiple game critical failures that render a game a 240lb paperweight while waiting for parts)

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimsarcade:

Illinois Jack ??

Illinois Jack sounds awkward. Messes up the phonetic flow.

Shorten it to Illini Jack Pinball (IJP) and it has the more familiar rhythm of Jersey Jack Pinball.

#248 4 years ago

You can take the Jersey out of Jack but you are not taking Jack out of Jersey.

In all seriousness I think it is good news for JJP. They are making the investment to move operations to become more efficient. I would rather hear this than hear they were closing their doors forever. JJP makes the best games, they just need to find away to optimize production.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Jack is more of a figurehead these days - the company ownership has changed significantly since he started things. He can probably live wherever he wants.

#250 4 years ago

Also interesting to note that AP is also in the area... and will be doing contract manufacturing. Interesting opportunity...

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-illinois/page/5?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.