Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg
    jerseysign (resized).jpg
    Lebowski-Opinion-Meme (resized).jpg
    JJP sign.jpg
    7A1D77B5-E9FC-4EEA-84E8-D00B85A0A678 (resized).jpeg
    2 29 20a 1850 Greenleaf (resized).jpg
    2 29 20a (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Roscoe 215080943 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2D5411D3-8375-49B3-9356-1D77637C092C.jpeg
    8F7B96B9-D04B-4A33-BFC1-72B9F9DDD574.jpeg
    pj (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    indiana-jones-2048x1024 (resized).jpg
    There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

You might be right, a little to harsh on themes, because some are good, but come on DI as a theme? That theme sunk an otherwise good game.
    Using quality parts could be stated, but temp workers on the line, making blunders on machines being shipped with the end users needing to fix themselves? That is the not so good quality I’m talking about.

Their games tend to be more complex to assemble (i.e. my POTC LE), but aside from the usual tweaking all my games have been very reliable. I agree on DI as I loved the layout/shots, but the theme was lacking for me....I get why operators wouldn't like JJP games as their price point is significantly higher than the Stern pro models. That being said its my understanding that POTC kills on location.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

You might be right, a little to harsh on themes, because some are good, but come on DI as a theme? That theme sunk an otherwise good game.
    Using quality parts could be argued, but temp workers on the line, making blunders on machines being shipped, with end users needing to fix it all themselves? That is, the not so good quality I’m talking about.

You don't think Stern uses temp workers? I ran a business a couple of blocks over, and used the same company. All but a handful of their production workers are temps. Most are not full time, and very few get any benefits at all. I have been there when the lines were shut down and the workers just go home and don't collect a check until they are called back.

#153 4 years ago

Stern might have to build a wall because I heard Jack is bringing a bunch of high end microwaves with him.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

If you’ve had good experience on support, my hats off to you. I haven't unfortunately and many I’ve spoken with have had the same experience. However people like Loyd are great to deal with.

Most times I find it is in the approach. If you go after them liked they spray painted graffiti on your fence and ran over your dog, then they are not going to respond. In turn, if you decide to be a decent human being that understands nothing is going to be 100% perfect out of the box and that "things happen" from time to time, then they will bend over backwards to help you get the issue addressed.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

You don't think Stern uses temp workers? I ran a business a couple of blocks over, and used the same company. All but a handful of their production workers are temps. Most are not full time, and very few get any benefits at all. I have been there when the lines were shut down and the workers just go home and don't collect a check until they are called back.

This is interesting information.

#156 4 years ago

Hoping this means they are getting a bigger factory.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Most times I find it is in the approach. If you go after them liked they spray painted graffiti on your fence and ran over your dog, then they are not going to respond. In turn, if you decide to be a decent human being that understands nothing is going to be 100% perfect out of the box and that "things happen" from time to time, then they will bend over backwards to help you get the issue addressed.

Agreed approach is important and the reason my approach has always been congenial. It’s not that they haven’t been nice, it’s just the time they’ve taken to address many issues. Sending washers to fix chipping and pooling is not a great solution.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Hoping this means they are getting a bigger factory.

Another good reason if this happens, to move. Actually releasing 2 games a year would be good. I do like how JJP usually puts more mechs in their machines, with the exception of Hobbit and WW, the rest are loaded.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

This is interesting information.

Very few (if any) of the production workers actually get a check from Stern. Most get paid by another company....but even temp workers can be on long-term assignments to a specific job. Many of the folks I had hired as temps, are still there today and it has been almost 10 years since we opened the doors. If you make the job attractive for them to stay, they will. A very good portion of the manufacturing and logistics in that area utilize mostly temp staff. It costs a bit more up front, but you have no pensions or benefits to worry about, and it becomes attractive to companies whose need fluctuates. If a supplier doesn't deliver, you send the group home until the lines start up again. They are not just there sweeping the floors. I don't know about other parts of the country, but when I moved to Chicago, I was amazed at the number of places that didn't have much permanent staff.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I've owned them all and have never had a QC issue....

Well other people have. That being said I've had issues with both JJP & Stern.
    Service calls/customer service were pretty easy for me with both companies though, although they each do sneaky things.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

Agreed approach is important and the reason my approach has always been congenial. It’s not that they haven’t been nice, it’s just the time they’ve taken to address many issues. Sending washers to fix chipping and pooling is not a great solution.

Can't argue with the washer thing...although I'm sure their take is different.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

And here we go..another thread thrown off over the next 100 posts about company vs. company superior quality.
    [quoted image]

Yeah...... Can we get back to Chicago's good eating spots instead???

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Yeah...... Can we get back to Chicago's good eating spots instead???

Over in Willowbrook, right off the interstate you have Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket. It is located on what was the original Route 66 and on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places. It isn't that far from Elk Grove Village and worth the drive. And if you like neon, the original sign was restored a few years ago and looks great.

chickenbasket (resized).jpgchickenbasket (resized).jpgdellrhea1 (resized).jpgdellrhea1 (resized).jpg
    #164 4 years ago

Thinking this is a great move for JJP to Elk Grove.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

If you’ve had good experience on support, my hats off to you. I haven't unfortunately and many I’ve spoken with have had the same experience. However people like Loyd are great to deal with.

I only had fantastic experiences with support, great response time, technical help and fast in sending replacement parts.

Unfortunately I must also admit that my WOZ has spent a far higher time with its playfield up than any other game I've had, I don't know if it relates to how packed the game is, or if it has to do with the assembly line, but I never turn that game on without making a little prayer.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Cheaper than NJ for sure on all fronts.

Just no Chicago. Because murders.

Quoted from Lermods:

I believe jjp in Lakewood was in an economic Enterprise zone that allows for several tax breaks..could be wrong, but doesn't seem entirely related to cost.
    Sad to see, I always liked visiting the factory and getting my games there. Feel bad for the staff, they were always nice.
    The factory in Lakewood is pretty far from the nearest airport, I'd guess at least an hour. Maybe they just have more synergies being in one place and closer to major transportation.

Yep. So like only 3% sales tax, and plenty of breaks. Jersey Jack from Illinois?

False advertising. I'm suing.
    never.gifnever.gif

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Within the next 18 months JJP will merge with Stern as a brand offering under the Stern umbrella.

No way. Never happen.

LTG : )

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I said it a few years back, and I'll say it again.
    Chicago gaming, JJP, and American Pinball should merge under one build company...Yet, keep it separate Design groups. Joining forces for the build and assembly process using all similar parts could save millions and compete with Stern in the long run.

I'd be scared of that morphing into a kind of mediocre pins. Lose what we love about pinball now. The uniqueness of the various designers and software people. Lose the identity of the individual teams or people the people have come to love.

Everybody has their favorite company, designer, or programmer. I think it would be hard to keep separate companies, separate, if under on roof. Even if solely to merge the assembly end of the process.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I only had fantastic experiences with support, great response time, technical help and fast in sending replacement parts.

Sounds like a lotta work with the service department
    But true let's not forget the "maybe having to go through your distro" for replacement parts from Stern.

Quoted from LTG:

No way. Never happen.

With both fake mergers discussed one company has to really offer the other something. Stern wouldn't think they'd get anything from JJP, but what advantage does American/JJP get? Higher Prices? "Better Themes?" Iffy.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like a lotta work with the service department
    But true let's not forget the "maybe having to go through your distro" for replacement parts from Stern.

Some of them makes you wonder if the games are even turned on once before they leave the factory.
    Mine (and many others) arrived with a huge hum (like louder than the music) in the speakers. It's a 1 minute and 8$ fix, literally, but there is no way a QA person wouldn't have heard it even in a loud environment.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Within the next 18 months JJP will merge with Stern as a brand offering under the Stern umbrella. They are just a boutique brand and have suffered so many set backs due to atrocious QC that I'm not sure how else they will survive with the current strategy of being the highest priced product with the lowest quality. They have just made too many blunders and really need stern to bail them out.

Yeah, maybe the billionaire that owns JJP will buy Stern and finally make their games actually worth their insane asking prices by increasing quality, and features. Maybe for $6k - $15k Stern games under JJP would at least have proper coil stops.

Why is Stern trying to save 50 cents a game by putting cheap coil stops in their $6k - $15k games?

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

No one mentioned Mr Beef in this thread?
    Shame on all of you!

It's been a few years for me. Do they still have Jake & Elwood there?

#173 4 years ago

Move to St. Louis. The city would basically give you a location & cut your taxes for at least a decade. You can ship your pins via train to Chicago to ship overseas. I guarantee you'll save millions.

#174 4 years ago

Wonder if this will have an affect on the release date of GnR...

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Wonder if this will have an affect on the release date of GnR...

It could but I think JJP will go into full production with GNR at their new facility. It's going to be interesting what JJP games other then GNR are built at the new factory. Wonka? Of course. Others such as Dialed In, and WOZ? Maybe. Seems like JJP wants to start putting two games out a year that have a slightly lower build of materials cost then games such as WOZ, Hobbit, Dialed In, and Pirates.

#176 4 years ago

Elk Grove Guarnieri (EGG)

#177 4 years ago

Chicago gaming, JJP, and American Pinball should merge under one build company...Yet, keep it separate Design groups. Joining forces for the build and assembly process using all similar parts could save millions and compete with Stern in the long run.

I kind of like this idea, but the reality of how it would really work doesn't feel so optimistic.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I kind of like this idea, but the reality of how it would really work doesn't feel so optimistic.

Skilled labor on the assembly line, or 2 , or 3, year round would be a very good thing.
    They don't care what machines they build, only that they work full time.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No way. Never happen.

Whatever you say. A company called Jersey Jack doesn't move to Chicago unless they have to. They're hurting and Stern is going to jump in.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Whatever you say. A company called Jersey Jack doesn't move to Chicago unless they have to. They're hurting and Stern is going to jump in.

They've always had split offices, which never made good business sense or practice. That was most likely done for reasons we can only speculate on. This move....makes far more sense.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

How is Stern jumping in when the press release mentions JJP hiring for around 50 positions in the Chicago area?

#182 4 years ago

That's what Bally wanted to do with their new solid state board set.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

The melt down this will cause is going to be phenomenal if you end up being right.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Where do you come up with this ?

If they were hurting. Pulling up stakes and moving 850 miles away. and setting up shop. Wouldn't that cost $$$$ ? Have to - that cost would be prohibitive to a company having to do anything.

Stern isn't jumping anywhere. They have their own company, which is quite successful. And no need to take on a "have to".

With the possible exception of Jack. The most important people to JJP are already in Chicago. Pat, Keith, Ted, Joe, Eric, and others I'm forgetting. Having New Jersey and Chicago all under one roof, where the most important people to JJP are, makes sense.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

The melt down this will cause is going to be phenomenal if you end up being right.

Don't even worry about that one.

#186 4 years ago

What on earth would be the motivation for Stern to buy JJP?

#187 4 years ago

From my travels: Chicago has cheaper tolls, you can pump your own gas, you can turn left without having to turn right, AND the food is a whole lot better!

#188 4 years ago

Just show us GNR please

#189 4 years ago

Just skip the old band already done years ago title of GNR and get to current day relevant Toy Story.

It’s like JJP is releasing an old Stern GNR vault edition, although it might be better, move to newer licenses.

#190 4 years ago

This is interesting, I wonder if Jack had much say in this or are the VC guys now running the show.

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

This is interesting, I wonder if Jack had much say in this or are the VC guys now running the show.

Would think Jack is on his way out and since he doesn't own the company anymore, had zero to say about it. He’s just a puppet now and this maybe his retirement exit. Would think he’s had enough of the industry, going broke 3 times. Bailout after bailout. Current owners have had enough losing because of poor licenses (i.e., no assets), high costs of doing business in NJ, excessively heavy JJP widebody machines freight costs out of NJ, way overpriced MSRP pricing, mechanical issues of poor mechs, high support costs, split operations costs and on and on. JJP is an example of a very poorly run operation to this point.

Like Gary once told Jack, “you’re crazy to get into this business” of manufacturing. Only Gary has figured out a way to stay in it all these years and make what all companies and shareholders expect...a profit!

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Does Chicago offer a tax break for pinball companies ; )
    why does everyone go there? Can't be the cheapest option....

A tax break in IL!
    That's the funniest joke I've heard all day!!!!!!!!

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:Where do you come up with this ?
    If they were hurting. Pulling up stakes and moving 850 miles away. and setting up shop. Wouldn't that cost $$$$ ? Have to - that cost would be prohibitive to a company having to do anything.
    Stern isn't jumping anywhere. They have their own company, which is quite successful. And no need to take on a "have to".
    With the possible exception of Jack. The most important people to JJP are already in Chicago. Pat, Keith, Ted, Joe, Eric, and others I'm forgetting. Having New Jersey and Chicago all under one roof, where the most important people to JJP are, makes sense.

There are unfortunately a few people here that want JJP to fail. Why? Who knows. Maybe they are pissed that a new pinball company came out of nowhere and one upped their all mighty Stern and repeatedly puts out a higher quality product with more features.

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

From my travels: Chicago has cheaper tolls, you can pump your own gas, you can turn left without having to turn right, AND the food is a whole lot better!

Some of the best damn pizza on the planet. When I lived in L.A. it was hard to find a good slice. Yes, there were places. Just nowhere near as many good places that are in the Chicagoland area.

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Where do you come up with this ?

LTG with a large mug of common sense!

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are unfortunately a few people here that want JJP to fail. Why? Who knows. Maybe they are pissed that a new pinball company came out of nowhere and one upped their all mighty Stern and repeatedly puts out a higher quality product with more features.

I for one want them to succeed. This is a great move and will centralize everything for them. On the other hand, you most definitely have an ax to grind against Stern for some reason, always blasting them when you get the chance. Big bad Stern as you think and blasted in an earlier post in this thread.

I hope they both succeed and bring down pricing, not continually raise it. Smarter manufacturing by both companies is the way and maybe DR will teach them both how to do it, unless Robert is just full of hot air. Like the game or not, Stern just made SW HE for a street price of $3,995.00. That is almost half the price of a JJP standard edition. Don’t tell me it’s twice as good, because we both know they are not. Buyers will not go for a $7.5k JJP Standard over a SW HE sold for $3.9k in general. Hopefully this move will restore common market sense to the new owners of JJP. They make some good games.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

...is the way and maybe DR will teach them both how to do it, ....

Man you were making sense up til there

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are unfortunately a few people here that want JJP to fail.

That is unfortunate. I always hope for the best. Even if I don't like something about it. I hope JJP, PPS/CGC, AP, Stern, Deep Root, Spooky, and others I may have missed, all these companies have great and prosperous futures.

Because that is good for pinball. Good for us. A variety of new games to choose from. And parts. Lots of parts. Pinball staying healthy is good for all.

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

I for one want them to succeed. This is a great move and will centralize everything for them. On the other hand, you most definitely have an ax to grind against Stern for some reason, always blasting them when you get the chance. Big bad Stern as you think and blasted in an earlier post in this thread.
    I hope they both succeed and bring down pricing, not continually raise it. Smarter manufacturing by both companies is the way and maybe DR will teach them both how to do it, unless Robert is just full of hot air. Like the game or not, Stern just made SW HE for a street price of $3,995.00. That is almost half the price of a JJP standard edition. Don’t tell me it’s twice as good, because we both know they are not. Buyers will not go for an $7.5k JJP Standard over a SW HE sold for $3.9k in general. Hopefully this move will restore common market sense to the new owners of JJP. They make some good games.

The only JJP game I really like enough to consider owning is Dialed In. That being said, every game they have made is twice as good as Star Wars Home Edition and to state otherwise is a complete joke.

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-illinois/page/4?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.